FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swingers Chat > Does spelling matter?

Does spelling matter?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rinking-in-la OP   Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Does the quality of spelling in a message or forum post change how you _iew the respondent?

Example: using u not you, wnt not want, coz not because etcetera.

Or people who just cannot spell at all?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Spelling on its own, no. In fact typos and predictive text can be humorous.

Text speak, writing as one speaks, poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation collectively does cause a certain assessment, not of the person per se but of the person in relation to what I'm seeking.

"wot u on abart bru its all words n that innit mate no wat i mean"

Stuff like that makes my skin crawl. I don't know if that makes me a bit shallow but it gives a bad impression?

By *kyhighstilettoCouple  over a year ago

Cheltenham

Personal preference, as ever, but for us it matters. Can't stand lazy English

By *amelliaWoman  over a year ago

Newark

Absolutely it does!

By *ustcutieWoman  over a year ago

edinburgh

As long as I can understand it really doesn't bother me

Yes, written language is very important to me. But a recent (gentle) slap on the wrist made me realise that I was getting a bit anal about it and that certainly in friendly conversations there are more important things - like the content

To a degree yes it matters but that could be my teacher side I guess

Well, it depends. If in all other respects the correspondent looks and sounds right, then a few grammar and spelling mistakes won't put us off.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

It so does matter!! I had a five line message recently without a single capitalised letter, not even I or I'm, and that just comes over as a really 'Can't be arsed' attitude, which is SO not attractive.

I don't mind it if I can follow the subject in hand.

For short posts it's quite easy to understand what the person is trying to get over.

However when reading some stories in the Stories and Fantasy section, some appear like a long sentence which contain bad grammar and punctuation, those I find very hard to understand and I usually end up closing and not reading.

Sometimes words are used completely with the wrong meaning instead of want I have seen wont(will not) used. As for text speak, I do not mind the odd lol or lmao I use them myself but cannot understand the rest of it. I just think it is lazy, and using a mobile phone is no defence.

By *oxycouple28Couple  over a year ago

bexley

Its very important to us, we have no problem with the odd typo here and there considering my partner is Dyslexic so has problems, but what we hate is text speak!

"Does the quality of spelling in a message or forum post change how you _iew the respondent?

Or people who just cannot spell at all?"

It would only matter if I was looking for a member of staff or a tutor, otherwise, spelling has no part in casual sex, the guys I tend to meet can just about walk upright, without dragging their knuckles on the floor.

"It so does matter!! I had a five line message recently without a single capitalised letter, not even I or I'm, and that just comes over as a really 'Can't be arsed' attitude, which is SO not attractive.

"

This

By *r Mahogany70Man  over a year ago

Leicester

"Yes, written language is very important to me. But a recent (gentle) slap on the wrist made me realise that I was getting a bit anal about it and that certainly in friendly conversations there are more important things - like the content "

You needed to be told

Don't rub it in, dear.

Off cors not, not won but!

By *orseydaveMan  over a year ago

Norwich NR5

Yes it does. I receive written applications for work most weeks, poorly written one's with bad grammer and spelling are filed in the bin.

Good spelling and grammer tells me everything I need to know about a person, just as much as their personal appearance and cleanliness.

Nope not at all. It might be a bit annoying, but there are far worse personality or character traits to have.

If anything, being a grammar Nazi is far worse.

It puts me off, I don't reply to or even finish reading a lot of mail that written in text talk

By *olores mister jCouple  over a year ago

Wirral

Hi we are boths Spanish and love to participate more in this forum but must of the time I fill afraid to post something becouse my poor writing grammar ;( regard mister j and Dolores

Ps we love fabswinger some of the people here a great wish we have site like this back home

Bristol

"Nope not at all. It might be a bit annoying, but there are far worse personality or character traits to have.

If anything, being a grammar Nazi is far worse."

No, you are wrong, this site is about presenting yourself for others. Not being arsed to type entire words looks dreadful.

Bristol

"Hi we are boths Spanish and love to participate more in this forum but must of the time I fill afraid to post something becouse my poor writing grammar ;( regard mister j and Dolores

Ps we love fabswinger some of the people here a great wish we have site like this back home "

That is entirely different, you are not a native English speaker and consideration has to be given that. You should be encouraged and supported.

Leicester

"Yes it does. I receive written applications for work most weeks, poorly written one's with bad grammer and spelling are filed in the bin.

Good spelling and grammer tells me everything I need to know about a person, just as much as their personal appearance and cleanliness.

"

Realy? Absolootely evrything?

"Nope not at all. It might be a bit annoying, but there are far worse personality or character traits to have.

No, you are wrong, this site is about presenting yourself for others. Not being arsed to type entire words looks dreadful."

That is merely your opinion. Maybe some people have bigger things in life to worry about than how someone perceives them over their use of appropriate spelling and grammar

People who apply very strict grammar and spelling criteria are missing out on some seriously good bedroom talent. But that's OK, it leaves more for us

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Ov cors spalling meeters

"Does the quality of spelling in a message or forum post change how you _iew the respondent?

I simply cannot bring myself to contribute to this thread, if the OP cannot type et cetera in the correct form.

Bristol

No, you are wrong, this site is about presenting yourself for others. Not being arsed to type entire words looks dreadful.

That is merely your opinion. Maybe some people have bigger things in life to worry about than how someone perceives them over their use of appropriate spelling and grammar "

No opinion is something which is debatable. Are you saying it looks good? The opinion will be whether or not you think it is important, but it is fact that adults who speak English as a first language who cannot string a sentence together looks bad.

Text speak will put me off a bit I have to admit and as English is my second language I'm very conscious of my own spelling and grammar.

Typos are a different matter though. They can be really funny!

[Removed by poster at 24/01/14 15:42:35]

That is merely your opinion. Maybe some people have bigger things in life to worry about than how someone perceives them over their use of appropriate spelling and grammar

No opinion is something which is debatable. Are you saying it looks good? The opinion will be whether or not you think it is important, but it is fact that adults who speak English as a first language who cannot string a sentence together looks bad."

Of course opinions are debatable. That would be why we are having this conversation now

Not being able to string a sentence together, and being too lazy to type out words in their entirety are two separate issues.

15 years ago the same adults who use text speak were constructing sentences properly. What changed?

Tbh, I find people who are overly finicky about spelling and go out of their way to correct people far more annoying that people who demonstrate incorrect use of there, they're and their.

On here a message is your chance to make a first impression and as they say you only get one chance to make a first impression

In real life some people wont mind you turning up for a meet straight from work and unshowered some will, on here some wont mind text spelling some will

its upto you how you wish you make your first impression, its upto them how they wish to take it

for me text talk makes a bad first impression

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

Mmmm, I tend to think if a person can't put the effort in to get it right with grammar, would they put the effort in sexually, do they generalise this "doesn't matter attitude".

Equally I understand that is my filter generalisation and what works for me, well......

Leicester

So, from what I've read I've concluded the people who require messages to be written with high standards of spelling, punctuation and grammar are looking for people with a more than adequate standard of education and those that ain't bothered like wud happily shag a Wayne and/or Waynetta?

Have I got that right like?

Leicester

"Text speak will put me off a bit I have to admit and as English is my second language I'm very conscious of my own spelling and grammar.

Typos are a different matter though. They can be really funny! "

What's your native tongue?

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

If someone has obviously tried to spell a word correctly, then I don't mind as long as I can understand the meaning of their message or post. Text speak on the other hand, is somewhat irritating to say the least.

No it should not but to some it does

Welsh. I get stuck on English spelling quite often

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Poor spelling and grammar don't put me off. But text speak does.

It's such an effort to read and comprehend that I generally don't even bother trying.

And typos are often the funniest thing on a thread.

A few spelling faux pas here and there are fine, its actually more a persons lack of grammar that turns me off. Personally I struggle sometimes with their/there/they're - I know the difference between each, but find that when my fingers are flowing through typing a sentence, its easy to write the wrong one.

Leicester

"Welsh. I get stuck on English spelling quite often "

Did you go to a school where spoken and written English were actively discouraged?

No, but Welsh is my first language and what's spoken at home so like a lot of people I had to learn English.

Leicester

"No, but Welsh is my first language and what's spoken at home so like a lot of people I had to learn English."

In all the posts I've read of yours I wouldn't have guessed you had a problem. You hide it well

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Poorly written messages are like fingernails down a blackboard to me.

By *ingjayMan  over a year ago

exeter

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

These are just anagrams. Different to omitted or wrong letters.

Not on the forums but yes in a message is rule of thumb. The forums its off the cuff and more rapid so as long as people can read it its fair game though text speech is lazy not spelling. In a message it 100% counts with most so check it twice.

It used to bother me. Now it doesn't bother me at all. It's the content that matters.

"No, but Welsh is my first language and what's spoken at home so like a lot of people I had to learn English.

In all the posts I've read of yours I wouldn't have guessed you had a problem. You hide it well "

Thank you. I try

"It used to bother me. Now it doesn't bother me at all. It's the content that matters. "

I agree. I can ignore the fact that someone chooses to use text-speak, or has poor spelling and grammar, if I still find them to be engaging.

It's those that simply do not make an effort to write even one sentence in their messages that I find hard work to continue maintaining an interest in. Continuous messages of very few words will leave me cold.

Maybe I am just old and grumpy....but it DOES bother me. I can tolerate the occasional 'lol' (I do it myself) but when the entire message is text speak and no grammar. ..I lose interest quickly. If someone is dyslexic that's different but most people admit to me they use text speak because they are lazy. That just tells me we wouldn't be compatible because they aren't willing to make any effort.

Text speak ahhhhh one of my pet hates!! Typos I can live with -we are all human after all, but bad English is a major turn off for me.

"Text speak ahhhhh one of my pet hates!! Typos I can live with -we are all human after all, but bad English is a major turn off for me."

Typos, the occasional mistake. Never a problem. But something which is so sloppy as to resemble something a blind, chimpanzee would have written whilst wearing boxing gloves is pointless to me.

And before anyone mentions dyslexia - I've had messages from guys with dyslexia and their messages were fine. I've met a few of them. Perfectly articulate and intelligent guys.

Yeah, you dyslexics, you have no excuse for your condition. You're just not trying hard enough

"Maybe I am just old and grumpy....but it DOES bother me. I can tolerate the occasional 'lol' (I do it myself) but when the entire message is text speak and no grammar. ..I lose interest quickly. If someone is dyslexic that's different but most people admit to me they use text speak because they are lazy. That just tells me we wouldn't be compatible because they aren't willing to make any effort. "

I never use text-speak, I think to do so is quite naff. But that's not to say I'll disregard someone else who does. If there's a mutual liking for each other I'd consider myself churlish to not engage with them.

I've an intense dislike for cats, the colour red, and smoking. If I were to bring all my preferences to the fore I'd be greatly reducing the numbers of people with whom I could enjoy engaging with.

On the occasions where something someone writes causes me to actually laugh, I tell them that in full. Sad, but true.

[Removed by poster at 24/01/14 17:16:38]

"Yeah, you dyslexics, you have no excuse for your condition. You're just not trying hard enough "

Usually on the forums the moment spelling comes up someone starts quoting dyslexia as an excuse. My point was that dyslexics are not gibbering dimwits.

"Personal preference, as ever, but for us it matters. Can't stand lazy English"

Cliche No. 3! spotted.

By *ngelbiTVTV/TS  over a year ago

Dyserth, North Wales

Spelling doesn't bother me. Some shortening of words doesn't bother me either.

I would much rather chat to a bad speller than chat to someone who is predictable and doesn't show any personality.

Personally, I try to spell every word out fully and correctly. It's just the way I type. However, although my spelling is very good, some people might say my grammar is horrendous.

By *opsy RogersWoman  over a year ago

London

""wot u on abart bru its all words n that innit mate no wat i mean"

Stuff like that makes my skin crawl. I don't know if that makes me a bit shallow but it gives a bad impression? "

I simply struggle to read and then decipher it so I don't bother.

It matters massively to me, and I know people won't like this but bad spelling is a massive advertisement for their intelligence level and I really can't be doing with thick people, the odd spelling mistake is acceptable but some people can't even manage the most basic words. That said... although I wouldnt marry a thick girl it wouldn't stop me sticking my cock in their mouth.

By *teveanddebsCouple  over a year ago

Norwich

As long as we know the difference between someone 'knowing their shit' and 'knowing they're shit'

Unless you are going to help your uncle Jack off a horse and end up helping your uncle jack off a horse.

By *anesjhCouple  over a year ago

LONDON.

"As long as I can understand it really doesn't bother me "

"As long as we know the difference between someone 'knowing their shit' and 'knowing they're shit'

Unless you are going to help your uncle Jack off a horse and end up helping your uncle jack off a horse."

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

I don't mind typos or text speak my punctuation tho is awful at times and it can read totally wrong sometimes

It dpeneds. Smotmies it btohres us. Ohtr tmies it does not.

Smoe popele sutrglge wtih sepllnig but not us.

smotmies it's bcusae we are uisng our ihpnoe and the kbyoerad is so samll

No tmie for txet sepak tohuogh. Tahts for nmutpese and ililetares.

Text speak to us is a big NO NO!!!!

There is no excuse for text speak as all phones from about 2002 onwards have predictive text and most modern smart phones have voice activated text too.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Spelling on its own, no. In fact typos and predictive text can be humorous.

Text speak, writing as one speaks, poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation collectively does cause a certain assessment, not of the person per se but of the person in relation to what I'm seeking."

This!

It was the well written, humorous first message that enticed me to meet my now boyfriend. Irony is, English is his SIXTH language!

Yes it does for me.

London

Or people who just cannot spell at all?

It would only matter if I was looking for a member of staff or a tutor, otherwise, spelling has no part in casual sex, the guys I tend to meet can just about walk upright, without dragging their knuckles on the floor. "

proper spelling is a good habit to get into, no matter what fora you are using, simply because, when you then need it for an official purpose, you are less likely to use the shortened version/americanisms or poor spelling/grammar

"Text speak ahhhhh one of my pet hates!! Typos I can live with -we are all human after all, but bad English is a major turn off for me.

Typos, the occasional mistake. Never a problem. But something which is so sloppy as to resemble something a blind, chimpanzee would have written whilst wearing boxing gloves is pointless to me.

And before anyone mentions dyslexia - I've had messages from guys with dyslexia and their messages were fine. I've met a few of them. Perfectly articulate and intelligent guys."

Totally agree...and yes, most people with dyslexia tend to make more effort anyway. ...and dyslexia has NOTHING to do with intelligence.

"Yeah, you dyslexics, you have no excuse for your condition. You're just not trying hard enough

Usually on the forums the moment spelling comes up someone starts quoting dyslexia as an excuse. My point was that dyslexics are not gibbering dimwits."

Agreed!!!!!

We should all at least try and be clear. What is being said below?

1. If someone uses poor English should you just except it?

2. Your your own worse enemy.

3. There there best friends when they are there.

all made up on the fly so no great criticisms please.

London

"On here a message is your chance to make a first impression and as they say you only get one chance to make a first impression

In real life some people wont mind you turning up for a meet straight from work and unshowered some will, on here some wont mind text spelling some will

its upto you how you wish you make your first impression, its upto them how they wish to take it

for me text talk makes a bad first impression"

Indeed!

I'm a total grammar snob so for me, yes

"I'm a total grammar snob so for me, yes "

Sorry ...off topic again.....but you are soooooo yummy!!!

Sorry everyone. ..as you were! I was just distracted!

"I'm a total grammar snob so for me, yes "

Oh!!!!

My grammar is not the best

By *indys loverCouple  over a year ago

Stratford on avon

worse message we had was 'wana fuk'

didnt even bother replying to it

"I'm a total grammar snob so for me, yes

Oh!!!!

My grammar is not the best "

You'll have to impress with different matters then...

London

Stuff like that makes my skin crawl. I don't know if that makes me a bit shallow but it gives a bad impression?

I simply struggle to read and then decipher it so I don't bother."

It kind of kills the flow if you need to run a message through a deluxe model Rosetta Stone!

Oh!!!!

You'll have to impress with different matters then... "

how I don't deep throat either!

London

Sorry everyone. ..as you were! I was just distracted! "

Easy to see why you were distracted!

Easy to see why you were distracted! "

I know!!! God! X

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

no...

Easy to see why you were distracted!

I know!!! God! X"

But I know when I am out of my depth! No chance whatsoever! No matter how good my grammar is!

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Oh!!!!

My grammar is not the best "

We used to have Grammar Schools and Comprehensive Schools.

I went to a Public Boarding School, but there were a few there that couldn't spell for toffee but still passed exams

Yes, as many others have said the odd typo isn't a problem but I can't be doing with text speak or really poor spelling or grammar. It almost guarantees a "thanks but no thanks" reply.

Oh!!!!

We used to have Grammar Schools and Comprehensive Schools.

I went to a Public Boarding School, but there were a few there that couldn't spell for toffee but still passed exams "

I'd like to learn grammar again

Ok, who wants grammar lessons???? :D

Oh!!!!

how I don't deep throat either! "

Good! I prefer the sunk and wank combination anyway :D

"Ok, who wants grammar lessons???? :D"

Me, me! (Putting my hand up)

Oh!!!!

how I don't deep throat either!

Good! I prefer the sunk and wank combination anyway :D"

I'm loving you every minute!

"Ok, who wants grammar lessons???? :D

Me, me! (Putting my hand up) "

Well, first of all, you're dressed inappropriately for class. I'm going to have to bend you over this desk, lift up your skirt and teach you a lesson!!

Well, first of all, you're dressed inappropriately for class. I'm going to have to bend you over this desk, lift up your skirt and teach you a lesson!!"

Oh my!!!

Well, first of all, you're dressed inappropriately for class. I'm going to have to bend you over this desk, lift up your skirt and teach you a lesson!!"

This gives me the urge to return for some schooling

Well, first of all, you're dressed inappropriately for class. I'm going to have to bend you over this desk, lift up your skirt and teach you a lesson!!

This gives me the urge to return for some schooling"

You too, young lady. Remove that gum and come to the front of the class...

"Ok, who wants grammar lessons???? :D"

I will accept any lessons on offer. ...sir!

yse

It should not matter. I can not spell and have a poor under standing of gramma I own and run my company and employ around 45 people, my ability to do this is me not whether I can put pen to paper. X. Stop being so judgemental.

You too, young lady. Remove that gum and come to the front of the class..."

Eek public flogging

"It should not matter. I can not spell and have a poor under standing of gramma I own and run my company and employ around 45 people, my ability to do this is me not whether I can put pen to paper. X. Stop being so judgemental. "

Quiet you, or it's detention!

LittleKitten?? You too, front of the class. Join these other two and bend over!!!

What's this??? These stockings aren't school regulation!!

Eek public flogging "

You, bend over, hands behind your back, lift that skirt up...

Higher!!!!!

Yes it matters but not a lot if what is being said is understandable.

Eek public flogging

You, bend over, hands behind your back, lift that skirt up...

Higher!!!!!"

Argh! !!! Bugger! Caught!

[Removed by poster at 24/01/14 18:59:26]

By *adgodCouple  over a year ago

Greensburg

Yes. It matters to us. It is not our most important criteria, but it certainly counts. Like most have said, we don't mind some typos, but constant butchering and text speak are a definite turn off.

"It so does matter!! I had a five line message recently without a single capitalised letter, not even I or I'm, and that just comes over as a really 'Can't be arsed' attitude, which is SO not attractive.

This "

Does spelling matter?

On

Sorry - that should have said 'No'

"It should not matter. I can not spell and have a poor under standing of gramma I own and run my company and employ around 45 people, my ability to do this is me not whether I can put pen to paper. X. Stop being so judgemental.

LittleKitten?? You too, front of the class. Join these other two and bend over!!!

What's this??? These stockings aren't school regulation!!"

fool off! I'm not playing any more

"It should not matter. I can not spell and have a poor under standing of gramma I own and run my company and employ around 45 people, my ability to do this is me not whether I can put pen to paper. X. Stop being so judgemental.

What's this??? These stockings aren't school regulation!! fool off! I'm not playing any more "

fook!

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Fancy a duck?

Yeah...spelling matters....

"worse message we had was 'wana fuk'

didnt even bother replying to it"

Was it the lack of punctuation that put you off?

I don't mind the odd typo but spelling is fairly important

we don't think it reflects on the person but text chat is ok for those who understand it and often can be misunderstood too

we don't text chat so we don't all ways understand messages with text in it

On

What's this??? These stockings aren't school regulation!! fool off! I'm not playing any more "

You! Take them off, and use one to tie Kitten's hands and the other to tie Vanilla's. And less of the lip!!

"On "

Ur two lait four that gag!

I didnt pay enough attention in class! My English grammar is fine....but you should see my French!

Ok..ok..I am going to sit on the naughty step.

What's this??? These stockings aren't school regulation!! fool off! I'm not playing any more

You! Take them off, and use one to tie Kitten's hands and the other to tie Vanilla's. And less of the lip!!"

I am rather partial to a bit of lip!

What's this??? These stockings aren't school regulation!! fool off! I'm not playing any more

You! Take them off, and use one to tie Kitten's hands and the other to tie Vanilla's. And less of the lip!!"

(sticks my middle finger up)

"On

Ur two lait four that gag! "

Feck it I was being lazy not reading the whole thread lol. I hold my hand up and walk off the stage my head hanging in shame

You! Take them off, and use one to tie Kitten's hands and the other to tie Vanilla's. And less of the lip!! (sticks my middle finger up)"

Sucks on that middle finger!

You! Take them off, and use one to tie Kitten's hands and the other to tie Vanilla's. And less of the lip!! (sticks my middle finger up)

Sucks on that middle finger!"

Jesus I'm wet!

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

"

If its tx speak....yes

Spelling mistakes...no

"Personal preference, as ever, but for us it matters. Can't stand lazy English"

You! Take them off, and use one to tie Kitten's hands and the other to tie Vanilla's. And less of the lip!! (sticks my middle finger up)

Jesus I'm wet! "

Me too!

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too! "

Now take that finger, cover it in your wetness and let me suck it again!

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

Now take that finger, cover it in your wetness and let me suck it again!"

We will continue this if you ever get to message me!

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

"

Not heard anything back from support yet! Kind of annoying really... :/

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

Not heard anything back from support yet! Kind of annoying really... :/"

I know I'm hoping there will be a message waiting for me when I log back on.

I am thinking that sexual-aphrodisiac and I should lock teacher in his office ...because I am refusing to do lines!!! (Hitching my skirt up again....) x

"Hi we are boths Spanish and love to participate more in this forum but must of the time I fill afraid to post something becouse my poor writing grammar ;( regard mister j and Dolores

Ps we love fabswinger some of the people here a great wish we have site like this back home "

Well I know I probably confirm to most clichés of an Englishman of a certain type and outlook. A modicum of style and a basic grasp of grammar are ideal. That said I have nothing but admiration for people who male their home in Blighty and have a fair crack at our astonishingly complex but beautiful language. I'm too inept and lazy to live outside the Commonwealth. I also continue to dream about meeting the dumb blonde bombshell who can barely string a sentence together but has found other uses for her mouth!

Poster your English is a thousand times better than my Spanish. You are both very welcome in my book!

I am a proof reader I can't stop proofing everything I read constantly especially adverts

No I haven't proof read my profile

Ps we love fabswinger some of the people here a great wish we have site like this back home

Well I know I probably confirm to most clichés of an Englishman of a certain type and outlook. A modicum of style and a basic grasp of grammar are ideal. That said I have nothing but admiration for people who male their home in Blighty and have a fair crack at our astonishingly complex but beautiful language. I'm too inept and lazy to live outside the Commonwealth. I also continue to dream about meeting the dumb blonde bombshell who can barely string a sentence together but has found other uses for her mouth!

Poster your English is a thousand times better than my Spanish. You are both very welcome in my book!"

I think there is a WORLD of difference between someone whose mother tongue is not English but makes an effort. ...and someone whose mother tongue IS English but simply are too lazy to put a basic sentence together!

So personally I have no problem with you because I know you will have tried your best.

"I am thinking that sexual-aphrodisiac and I should lock teacher in his office ...because I am refusing to do lines!!! (Hitching my skirt up again....) x "

Yes I think you should

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

Not heard anything back from support yet! Kind of annoying really... :/ I know I'm hoping there will be a message waiting for me when I log back on."

Just send him a message.

"I am thinking that sexual-aphrodisiac and I should lock teacher in his office ...because I am refusing to do lines!!! (Hitching my skirt up again....) x

Yes I think you should "

My English teacher wasn't hot like you though. ...

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

Not heard anything back from support yet! Kind of annoying really... :/ I know I'm hoping there will be a message waiting for me when I log back on.

Just send him a message. "

Iv sent 4!

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

Not heard anything back from support yet! Kind of annoying really... :/ I know I'm hoping there will be a message waiting for me when I log back on.

Just send him a message. Iv sent 4! "

You might have better luck!

We couldn't careless about people spelling. I am a terrible speller and would be a lot worse on here if my phone didn't change everything for me. The mrs is a bit anal with spelling and if we are messaging together on the laptop she does go over anything I have wrote to check it.

But no we don't think anything of people that can or cannot spell.

"I am thinking that sexual-aphrodisiac and I should lock teacher in his office ...because I am refusing to do lines!!! (Hitching my skirt up again....) x

Yes I think you should

My English teacher wasn't hot like you though. ... "

I'm not going to teach you english from my office...

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

Just send him a message. Iv sent 4!

You might have better luck!"

Hmm...sorry...obviously admin may have to help you then. Not sure? Or try changing your age limits. ..just temporarily?

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

Just send him a message. Iv sent 4! "

I think we're just going to have to keep our affair public until the problem is resolved...

Yes I think you should

I'm not going to teach you english from my office..."

You arent? Where are going then? ??

Yes I think you should

I'm not going to teach you english from my office...

You arent? Where are going then? ??"

To my office. I just said I'm not going to teach you english...

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

I think we're just going to have to keep our affair public until the problem is resolved..."

Time to buy a new hat folks! Ha x

Is not the word Typo an abbreviation,The same as so called Text speak ?

Jesus I'm wet!

Me too!

You might have better luck!

Hmm...sorry...obviously admin may have to help you then. Not sure? Or try changing your age limits. ..just temporarily? "

I have ha!

"Is not the word Typo an abbreviation,The same as so called Text speak ? "

this!

Just so you know I also don't like....

Ta

Probs

Ya

Innit

and HUN!

"Is not the word Typo an abbreviation,The same as so called Text speak ?

this!

Ta

Probs

Ya

Innit

and HUN! "

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"no..."

View, I was taught that an ellipsis (known to the great unwashed as "dot-dot-dot") should have a space either side and is used when missing out some words or to indicate a pause. Personally I don't use the space either side and am consistent in that regard, therefore I will be able to consider speaking to you at the social...

Best regards, BlondeAdolf (grammar fiend)

"I am a proof reader I can't stop proofing everything I read constantly especially adverts

No I haven't proof read my profile

"

I think I should send you all my emails befor I send them. X

By *londeCazWoman  over a year ago

Arse End of the Universe, Cumbria

"Fancy a duck?

Yeah...spelling matters.... "

That'd probably work in Cumbria

By *regboy49Man  over a year ago

Sandhurst

"Yeah, you dyslexics, you have no excuse for your condition. You're just not trying hard enough

Usually on the forums the moment spelling comes up someone starts quoting dyslexia as an excuse. My point was that dyslexics are not gibbering dimwits.

Agreed!!!!!"

Your right,us dyslexics are not idiots, far from it,we just have a problem getting the letters in the right order. Smart phones are a god send.

Agreed!!!!!

Your right,us dyslexics are not idiots, far from it,we just have a problem getting the letters in the right order. Smart phones are a god send."

I don't think anyone disagrees with you but in fairness, it wasnt about dyslexia in fairness. The point is about people who can't be bothered..lazy text speak ...not those who have a genuine difficulty. .be that dyslexia or English being a foreign language etc...

Agreed!!!!!

Your right,us dyslexics are not idiots, far from it,we just have a problem getting the letters in the right order. Smart phones are a god send.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you but in fairness, it wasnt about dyslexia in fairness. The point is about people who can't be bothered..lazy text speak ...not those who have a genuine difficulty. .be that dyslexia or English being a foreign language etc... "

Which was kind of my point.

By *regboy49Man  over a year ago

Sandhurst

Agreed!!!!!

I totally agree with your statement, it annoys the hell out of me if someone doesn't even put the effort into writing, it makes you wonder how they would communicate if you actually had a meeting with them

I don't think anyone disagrees with you but in fairness, it wasnt about dyslexia in fairness. The point is about people who can't be bothered..lazy text speak ...not those who have a genuine difficulty. .be that dyslexia or English being a foreign language etc... "

Bristol

"proper spelling is a good habit to get into, no matter what fora you are using, simply because, when you then need it for an official purpose, you are less likely to use the shortened version/americanisms or poor spelling/grammar"

I hate to be a pedant but it is "which a Forum"

Bristol

"It should not matter. I can not spell and have a poor under standing of gramma I own and run my company and employ around 45 people, my ability to do this is me not whether I can put pen to paper. X. Stop being so judgemental. "

Part of my work involves specifying products from other manufacturers for various applications. Knowing that once specified, the sales people I deal with shall need to interface with my colleagues and I in very detailed and technical discussions. If said person can not write a submission in clear language then the impression they give of their company to be professional and knowledgable is tainted seriously. If they have no reason not to have learned grammar and spelling, then why would they have bothered to learn the much more complex engineering? Communication is a vital skill and those who choose not to bother with it appear unprofessional and lazy.

"proper spelling is a good habit to get into, no matter what fora you are using, simply because, when you then need it for an official purpose, you are less likely to use the shortened version/americanisms or poor spelling/grammar

I hate to be a pedant but it is "which a Forum" "

No it isn't. It's 'which forums' I think or 'which fora'.

"Is not the word Typo an abbreviation,The same as so called Text speak ?

this!

Ta

Probs

Ya

Innit

Oh here we go! Red rag to the bull. Typo is an abbreviation better suited to the informality of the context and generally accepted. Typographical error sounds pretentious and starchy. I seldom call a refrigerator anyrhing other than a 'fridge for the same reason.

Text speak on the other hand is more likely to consist of severe contractions and the phonetical properties of numbers (m8, l8er) and acronyms. In addition, apart from a minority demographic, text speak has not gained widespread acceptance. So the succinct answer to your qustion is no. It is not the same!

"

By *eedee1969Woman  over a year ago

east london

Stuff like that makes my skin crawl. I don't know if that makes me a bit shallow but it gives a bad impression? "

By *artytwoCouple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

You've obviously never (tried to) read Trainspotting

By *y93Man  over a year ago

London

seriously? judging from some of the comments, you'd think we are all here to apply to be the next prime minister or something! I can't understand why some people are so bothered by the way a message is worded, text speak or no text speak, surely its about the content/ context of the convo and what they look like? after there has to be some visual attraction as well as reasonable social skills, but not about how the message may have been composed with correct spelling etc. If people decided not to meet me because I typed oic laterz. its fine with me, no great loss really. chillax x

Seems to be very important to some!!! Makes me laugh lol

By *tephstockingsTV/TS  over a year ago

birmingham

"Maybe I am just old and grumpy....but it DOES bother me. I can tolerate the occasional 'lol' (I do it myself) but when the entire message is text speak and no grammar. ..I lose interest quickly. If someone is dyslexic that's different but most people admit to me they use text speak because they are lazy. That just tells me we wouldn't be compatible because they aren't willing to make any effort. "
great comment well put couldn't of spelt it better my self I am allways getting pulled up on grammar and spelling but then I do have the daily struggle been dyslexic

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"seriously? judging from some of the comments, you'd think we are all here to apply to be the next prime minister or something! I can't understand why some people are so bothered by the way a message is worded, text speak or no text speak, surely its about the content/ context of the convo and what they look like? after there has to be some visual attraction as well as reasonable social skills, but not about how the message may have been composed with correct spelling etc. If people decided not to meet me because I typed oic laterz. its fine with me, no great loss really. chillax x"

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

dislexia is a problem we have ..however to say 'we havent bothered'is frankly insulting

By *tressfreeMan  over a year ago

Towcester

On here no. Abbreviations are intentional but bad spelling is different. I have to admit I judge people with very bad spelling mistakes.

It's not good to make assumptions on a person on just that but I'm sure lots of us do it.

"On here no. Abbreviations are intentional but bad spelling is different. I have to admit I judge people with very bad spelling mistakes.

It's not good to make assumptions on a person on just that but I'm sure lots of us do it. "

As long as it doesn't make me consume 300 kl Calorries reading a post or a message and the content is nice. I don't juhdge others from just their grammatical skills. I do plenty mistakes myeslf but again English is my third language and yet sometimes I get a bit intimidated with the over reaction towards a typing or grammatical mistake I make. Which can be rude and poshy. If someone is bad at grammar they can have other qualties I don't have. Jumping quick to judging another person negatively is one of the worst bad social qualities someone can have.

Yes it most certainly does. If he can't spell it speaks of his character overall. However little thumb slips are not a problem.