Jump to: Newest in thread

By *astyfella999 OP   Man  over a year ago

newcastle

Iv just retired as a paramedic and I’m not happy wish I worked on I’m bored

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

If that's the case you might have to find another job.

We retired at 57 and have never been bored we had so many things we wanted to do. It did take a while to adjust though, the idea that unless you're earning money what you're doing isn't as valuable is deeply ingrained.

Have you considered volunteering, what did you used to wish you could be doing instead of working?

By *ooking4othersMan  over a year ago

Here ...

"Iv just retired as a paramedic and I’m not happy wish I worked on I’m bored "

Did you not think about this before retiring? Volunteer, get a part time job doing something you like, learn a new skill or hobby, travel ... there's plenty to do so you shouldn't be bored!

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

I'm retiring next year when I'm 66 and have so much planned starting hopefully with a month or so in florida! Put my name down for an allotment lots of cycle rides and walks! I shall have no regrets for sure! I'm sure once u into the swing of it u will wonder how u had time to work x

Forum Mod

East Sussex

It's the adjustment that takes time. If you've had years of working 8 + hours a day five or six days a week, fitting hobbies, social life, family life etc into the remaining time, always rushing to keep up, being faced with days, weeks, months and years without that can seem daunting no matter how well prepared you are. Also money can be a problem that limits activities.

When I retired friends asked me "what do you do all day?" Which to me demonstrated a singular lack of imagination .

It does take time to adjust to realise that sitting in the sunshine with a book is ok, relaxing over coffee and people watching at 11 am on Monday morning is fine, volunteering for no pay is valuable and your worth is not tied to your job or salary. However once you do adjust life is so enjoyable

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Did you have to retire op? I don't know if there's an age limit on being a paramedic. Could you go back to work?

A friend of mine is still working at 75, mainly because she hates her husband.

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

"It's the adjustment that takes time. If you've had years of working 8 + hours a day five or six days a week, fitting hobbies, social life, family life etc into the remaining time, always rushing to keep up, being faced with days, weeks, months and years without that can seem daunting no matter how well prepared you are. Also money can be a problem that limits activities.

When I retired friends asked me "what do you do all day?" Which to me demonstrated a singular lack of imagination .

It does take time to adjust to realise that sitting in the sunshine with a book is ok, relaxing over coffee and people watching at 11 am on Monday morning is fine, volunteering for no pay is valuable and your worth is not tied to your job or salary. However once you do adjust life is so enjoyable

"

so well said. Personally I retired at 54 but after a few months, realised I'd made a mistake so found myself a totally different job which challenged me in different ways. Thoroughly enjoyed doing that fir about five years and then decided the time was right so properly retired last year. I'm thoroughly enjoying it now as my head is now in the right place for it. Like you said, sometimes it's okay to just sit with a coffee and people watch. You don't have to be productive 24/7, it's important to now make, and take, time for yourself.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"It's the adjustment that takes time. If you've had years of working 8 + hours a day five or six days a week, fitting hobbies, social life, family life etc into the remaining time, always rushing to keep up, being faced with days, weeks, months and years without that can seem daunting no matter how well prepared you are. Also money can be a problem that limits activities.

so well said. Personally I retired at 54 but after a few months, realised I'd made a mistake so found myself a totally different job which challenged me in different ways. Thoroughly enjoyed doing that fir about five years and then decided the time was right so properly retired last year. I'm thoroughly enjoying it now as my head is now in the right place for it. Like you said, sometimes it's okay to just sit with a coffee and people watch. You don't have to be productive 24/7, it's important to now make, and take, time for yourself."

Indeed. I personally consider that as a society we've taken the work ethic too far. Mr N was told (shortly before he decided to retire) that he had his priorities wrong because he declined a work meeting as he was attending to family matters. He replied that his priorities were the correct ones and suggested they reassess theirs

By *astyfella999 OP   Man  over a year ago

newcastle

Thank you all so much and yes you are all right it does takes time to adjust Mind set . I’m going to give some of my time to the ambulance car service

In the way I offer my car to take patients into hospital then return you get 44p a mile tax free

Keeps me busy and I only work when I want to

God bless you all x

Forum Mod

East Sussex

My mum has been transferred to and from hospital by the ambulance car service because I can't get her in and out of my car on my own any more. It's a valuable service

» Add a new message to this topic