FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Sexual Health Screening

Sexual Health Screening

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *wo of us 1971 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Northampton

After our recent visit to the Sexual Health Clinic (all clear!), we thought we'd share our experience to reassure others that it's nothing to be nervous about.

After some on-line research to find contact details and locations, we booked appointments out of county to avoid bumping into anyone we might know. When we phoned to book the appointments, we just said "We'd like to book for a full sexual health screening." There were no further difficult questions at that point.

On arrival, we spoke with the receptionist who was very discrete. We just booked in and sat in the waiting room thumbing through old magazines, just like a doctor's surgery with one or two other people waiting.

On my appointment (male), the female nurse came out and called my first name and we went into the treatment room. She asked sexual-activity questions in a very factual and non-judgmental manner, during which I explained that my wife and I had started swinging. She recommended a Hep-B test as well. I popped into the loo to fill the urine sample bottle she provided then returned where she took a blood sample from my arm. That was it!!! 3-weeks later I got my results back when I visited with my wife for her screening.

Hers was a little different to mine as the receptionist on that occasion was a nursing assistant, so she didn't need to see a nurse and wasn't asked any questions.

My wife went into the loo to do her own swab sample, sealing it in the tube and bringing it back out to the receptionist-nurse who then took her into a private room where she had her blood sample taken from her arm too, and we were out within about 5 minutes.

We were both nervous before we went, but having gone, we're glad we did and would encourage everyone to get checked regularly.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

Did neither of you have throat swabs?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Did the nurse not take multiple swabs from your partner's vagina and check visually for signs of infection?

And they didn't take throat swabs?

Nor ask her her sexual history? (Anal sex requires anal swabs for example. And if either of you have had sex with a bisexual man, they would also give you Hep B vaccination.)

I don't think I'd go back to that clinic again.

Just been done, all clear. I go regularly, although I always play safe, peace of mind I guess, never had a bad experience, you should all get tested regularly, it's irresponsible not to

By *ransGuyTV/TS  over a year ago

Cardiff

"Did the nurse not take multiple swabs from your partner's vagina and check visually for signs of infection?

Nor ask her her sexual history? (Anal sex requires anal swabs for example. And if either of you have had sex with a bisexual man, they would also give you Hep B vaccination.)

I don't think I'd go back to that clinic again."

I was wondering that too, I'm glad that the clinic I go to is more thorough!

I don't have a active sex life, so don't need to be checked

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I don't have a active sex life, so don't need to be checked "

Does that mean I'm safe if I lay still?

Am the only tranny without a fanny so Ave no need to be swabbed although a don't mind going through the motions

"Did the nurse not take multiple swabs from your partner's vagina and check visually for signs of infection?

The op did state they were asked about their sexual activity and I'm sure they would have been tested according to their activity. I'm not examined when i go. At our clinic they only examine if you have symptoms. I thought that was fairly standard practice?

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Clinic i get tested at basically do the full works

Do any get sexually aroused

Sounds like they did a quick test. It's good to share but always insist on throat swabs too and get them to do the visual inspection..

Can I ask the op why they had to find a new clinic. As just use the one you normally use.. or was it your first test x

"Sounds like they did a quick test. It's good to share but always insist on throat swabs too and get them to do the visual inspection..

Can I ask the op why they had to find a new clinic. As just use the one you normally use.. or was it your first test x "

Can i ask why a visual inspection is necessary?

Deviant City

"Am the only tranny without a fanny so Ave no need to be swabbed although a don't mind going through the motions"

so you don't get your throat or arse swabbed? You should also have the Hep B jab

Deviant City

"Sounds like they did a quick test. It's good to share but always insist on throat swabs too and get them to do the visual inspection..

Can I ask the op why they had to find a new clinic. As just use the one you normally use.. or was it your first test x

Can i ask why a visual inspection is necessary?"

to check for genital warts mainly.

I always get checked and swabbed, they do offer me to do it myself, but I feel it's more thorough if a nurse does it.

"I don't have a active sex life, so don't need to be checked

Does that mean I'm safe if I lay still? "

That's right, you would be safe if you lay still there

I always get checked and swabbed, they do offer me to do it myself, but I feel it's more thorough if a nurse does it."

I think you would notice if you had warts wouldn't you? ?

.because I like to be properly checked.. And it's much better to get them to do the swabs. And you may not always notice warts or other things that while not sexually transmitted can need treatment.

By *achelnMarkCouple  over a year ago

Mid Wiltshire

We don't play all that often, and don't do much when we do but have popped along together a few times. Give fake names and address which is always a laugh as they phoned once and I answered with my real name lol.

The phone call wasn't for a problem I hasten to add, more to do with what I'm about to say.

We told the truth said what we did, and both bi ish, and they said they vaccinate for HEP A and HEP B. Then do a test to make sure vaccine took (I needed a top up jab - hence call). So, now topped up with Hep A & B vaccine.

For free.

Now if you are going abroad to Asia and need a Hep A jab - go to the sexual health clinic and get the vaccine for free As well as a check up. Better than paying at the travel clinic. You may have to say you're a bi bloke or play with bi blokes though!

By *LFB.Woman  over a year ago

Farnborough.

Just had mine done, throat swabs etc had the results in a week. I think throat swabs are important as can pass chlamydia from oral sex.Also having hep a and b vaccines due to job and lifestyle

I never get why people need to use fake names . We go every 4-6 weeks .

.because I like to be properly checked.. And it's much better to get them to do the swabs. And you may not always notice warts or other things that while not sexually transmitted can need treatment. "

Ok so it's just a preference for you then. That's cool. Others shouldn't feel like they aren't getting a proper service because they don't have this. Most people know their own bodies well enough to know when something isn't right and carry out their own visual checks so will recognise if anything changes or doesn't look right and needs checking out.

I go every 12 weeks

By *achelnMarkCouple  over a year ago

Mid Wiltshire

"I never get why people need to use fake names . We go every 4-6 weeks . "

Because we don't want any chance of our sexual activity or screening going on our records. Quite simple.

Life or heath insurance quotes "Have you ever had an HIV test" question for instance...

"I never get why people need to use fake names . We go every 4-6 weeks .

Because we don't want any chance of our sexual activity or screening going on our records. Quite simple.

Life or heath insurance quotes "Have you ever had an HIV test" question for instance..."

If you have had a A baby in the last 12 years or so they would know you have anyway. As they routinely screen for hiv when pregnant now

They always check visually for early signs of herpes and thrush at my clinic. As well as early signs of any other genital infections/illness where they might suggest that you see your GP. If they've got you in stirrups swabbing your vagina and ass, they might as well!

.because I like to be properly checked.. And it's much better to get them to do the swabs. And you may not always notice warts or other things that while not sexually transmitted can need treatment.

Ok so it's just a preference for you then. That's cool. Others shouldn't feel like they aren't getting a proper service because they don't have this. Most people know their own bodies well enough to know when something isn't right and carry out their own visual checks so will recognise if anything changes or doesn't look right and needs checking out."

It's much more accurate to get the nurse to swab you though. When I get mine done they take from two different places inside my vagina, as well as the skin outside it. I don't think I'd have the accuracy to manage taking them from myself.

I don't really see why you wouldn't. They're nurses in a sexual health clinic, they've seen it a thousand times before. Half of them own their own vagina, it's nothing new and exciting to them.

The op did state they were asked about their sexual activity and I'm sure they would have been tested according to their activity. I'm not examined when i go. At our clinic they only examine if you have symptoms. I thought that was fairly standard practice? "

This is the same set up as my clinic too. It costs the NHS too much for unnecessary throat swabs so I'm told and they only check you internally if you have symptoms. You do your own swabs in the loo and bring it bk out x

Deviant City

I always get checked and swabbed, they do offer me to do it myself, but I feel it's more thorough if a nurse does it.

I think you would notice if you had warts wouldn't you? ?"

most likely yes, but for peace of mind, I still like the nurses to check. I always get an extra swab for BV screening too and HPV (although they don't offer this service unless you ask). My clinic are great and will even do same day test results on everything (except blood, that takes a week). I can sit in the waiting room for 10 minuets whilst they go through the slides.

I'm happy with how I look after my sexual health and I'm grateful that the NHS provides this free service.

Deviant City

The op did state they were asked about their sexual activity and I'm sure they would have been tested according to their activity. I'm not examined when i go. At our clinic they only examine if you have symptoms. I thought that was fairly standard practice?

This is the same set up as my clinic too. It costs the NHS too much for unnecessary throat swabs so I'm told and they only check you internally if you have symptoms. You do your own swabs in the loo and bring it bk out x"

well throat swabs are necessary for me, as I don't always use condoms for oral and never use dental dams when playing with the ladies. In fact I par take in more oral than penetrative sex, but for me, all swabs are necessary, as well as a thorough swabbing from the nurse, rather than myself.

By *xoticloverMan  over a year ago

newcastle

Nice and informative thread. Thanks for all the infirmation.

This is the same set up as my clinic too. It costs the NHS too much for unnecessary throat swabs so I'm told and they only check you internally if you have symptoms. You do your own swabs in the loo and bring it bk out x"

Throat swabs are only unnecessary if you don't do oral sex And they will check you properly if you ask them and make an appointment rather than drop in they will do x

This is the same set up as my clinic too. It costs the NHS too much for unnecessary throat swabs so I'm told and they only check you internally if you have symptoms. You do your own swabs in the loo and bring it bk out x

Throat swabs are only unnecessary if you don't do oral sex And they will check you properly if you ask them and make an appointment rather than drop in they will do x "

If they are necessary I really don't understand why you have to ask for them. I always give exact details of what I've been up to and they have never once offered them or said that I need them. It seems it varies widely depending on where you go. As someone else has said....very informative......I'm still not convinced about the need for the nurse to examine though. I doubt they would spot anything I wouldn't as I'm more familiar with what everything looks like and how it feels.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

They always check visually for early signs of herpes and thrush at my clinic. As well as early signs of any other genital infections/illness where they might suggest that you see your GP. If they've got you in stirrups swabbing your vagina and ass, they might as well!"

Surely they do a visual inspection when they take the swabs or how will they know they are swabbing the right area?

When I went last they had me on a bed, stirrups up, and checked as they swabbed

They always check visually for early signs of herpes and thrush at my clinic. As well as early signs of any other genital infections/illness where they might suggest that you see your GP. If they've got you in stirrups swabbing your vagina and ass, they might as well!

Surely they do a visual inspection when they take the swabs or how will they know they are swabbing the right area?

When I went last they had me on a bed, stirrups up, and checked as they swabbed"

not when you self swab

By *lighty1Woman  over a year ago

You Dont Need to Know, right now

I book a 'peace of mind' check-up every 3 months at my clinic, and it's a very good one.

I first see a doctor who asks me about recent sexual activity (in a very matter of fact, non-judgemental way, and I have told him that I'm a swinger). He also asks whether I have any symptoms (which I don't). Then I do a urine sample. When I get called back in, the nurse helps me into the stirrup chair and the doctor comes in to do the swabs. Then it's into another room for a phlebotomist to take blood samples.

Results usually back in 5 days and they phone me. Never any problems, apart from one bout of BV. I got a course of tablets (free) and a lecture about not using soap etc too frequently in my vaginal region.

I can't recommend my clinic highly enough.

"I book a 'peace of mind' check-up every 3 months at my clinic, and it's a very good one.

I first see a doctor who asks me about recent sexual activity (in a very matter of fact, non-judgemental way, and I have told him that I'm a swinger). He also asks whether I have any symptoms (which I don't). Then I do a urine sample. When I get called back in, the nurse helps me into the stirrup chair and the doctor comes in to do the swabs. Then it's into another room for a phlebotomist to take blood samples.

Results usually back in 5 days and they phone me. Never any problems, apart from one bout of BV. I got a course of tablets (free) and a lecture about not using soap etc too frequently in my vaginal region.

I can't recommend my clinic highly enough."

That's exactly the same service at the clinic I like. They only do a urine sample if you suspect you could be pregnant though.

Deviant City

Throat swabs are only unnecessary if you don't do oral sex And they will check you properly if you ask them and make an appointment rather than drop in they will do x

If they are necessary I really don't understand why you have to ask for them. I always give exact details of what I've been up to and they have never once offered them or said that I need them. It seems it varies widely depending on where you go. As someone else has said....very informative......I'm still not convinced about the need for the nurse to examine though. I doubt they would spot anything I wouldn't as I'm more familiar with what everything looks like and how it feels. "

I don't ask for them, they offer for the nurse to do them, or myself. I always opt for the nurse.

Yes I'm aware of my own body and any changes, but having a nurse double check is for my own peace of mind

By *lighty1Woman  over a year ago

You Dont Need to Know, right now

"That's exactly the same service at the clinic I like. They only do a urine sample if you suspect you could be pregnant though."

Yes, at my age my periods are very irregular, and although I always play safe, we all know that condoms aren't 100% foolproof. The last thing I need is an unwanted pregnancy, so I tell the doctor this at the time, and he's happy to do the urine sample (saves me another £8 at Boots lolol).

I have only ever had 3 check ups,

Last one was just over 6 month ago, Urine sample, Blood sample and a visual check, They didn't say anything about throat swabs

And they say if we don't contact you, You have the all clear, But wait up to 6 months for the blood sample to be checked,

Going for another check tomorrow and I will ask about the throat swab

Hi all

Just to add to topic I had a check recently too (all clear) which was one by a very competent nurse who asked outright if I was a swinger when I told her why I was being tested. Full blood test (hiv duo, hep b, c, syphillis) urine sample and throat swabs too. No visual examination but she asked if I had noticed anything, and since I have not that was not needed.

I think we have a responsibility to do this - and also to be honest with the clinic so that they know what tests to do. They also compile a knowledge of clubs etc she explained, which helps them know what tests may be necessary if they are getting cases presenting from the same locations. She asked specifically about web sites too - knew fab and asked if it was a good site!

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

When I went last they had me on a bed, stirrups up, and checked as they swabbed

not when you self swab"

Oh right, I've never done that. To be honest I'd prefer someone to have a proper ferret around as I can't really see mine properly

"Hi all

Just to add to topic I had a check recently too (all clear) which was one by a very competent nurse who asked outright if I was a swinger when I told her why I was being tested. Full blood test (hiv duo, hep b, c, syphillis) urine sample and throat swabs too. No visual examination but she asked if I had noticed anything, and since I have not that was not needed.

I think we have a responsibility to do this - and also to be honest with the clinic so that they know what tests to do. They also compile a knowledge of clubs etc she explained, which helps them know what tests may be necessary if they are getting cases presenting from the same locations. She asked specifically about web sites too - knew fab and asked if it was a good site!

"

Yes, mine asks about club attendance too. Which I always thought was really good. They had it down on my records that I was a polyamorous fetishist who was both fluid and blood bonded with my partner. None of this was judged at all. Just completely matter of fact.

Because I was getting tested in Essex but clubbing in the West Midlands, they always asked me if they could inform other NHS areas if anything showed on my record so that they could watch out for it in that area. Seemed pretty fucking awesome.

I think it is good that this information is shared - after all it helps keep us safe

X

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Life or heath insurance quotes "Have you ever had an HIV test" question for instance...

If you have had a A baby in the last 12 years or so they would know you have anyway. As they routinely screen for hiv when pregnant now "

I would have thought it would lower your premiums (if they ask) to say you have had a negative HIV test rather than never been tested (so might have it and not know)

I have lost count of the number of STD inc HIV tests I've had, giving blood, before being put on certain meds, for sexual health checkups since swinging etc.

We go every 6 weeks , all swab ( throat , penis , vagina , arse ) done by nurse . Visual by nurse . Bloods every other visit , and we both had hep b jab and boosters when we started .

We use our local clinic , and use our real names and address . Results usually within a week , a text .

So far we have either been very lucky , or because of our awareness and care we haven't had any issues in almost 5 years .

Every new partner for me

My clinic has never used stirrups or offered throat swabs. On the form you fill out before you see the nurse they ask about specific symptoms.

"Every new partner for me"

That wouldn't be possible for us as we can have a few new partners over the course Of a night at a club x

"My clinic has never used stirrups or offered throat swabs. On the form you fill out before you see the nurse they ask about specific symptoms. "

I think some like to make you feel like you aren't getting a proper service on here. If you are honest at the clinic you will get offered what you need, of that I am sure. It isn't in their best interest not to offer the correct service for you.

To be fair even as a swinger I have to demand the throat swabs now x

"My clinic has never used stirrups or offered throat swabs. On the form you fill out before you see the nurse they ask about specific symptoms.

I think some like to make you feel like you aren't getting a proper service on here. If you are honest at the clinic you will get offered what you need, of that I am sure. It isn't in their best interest not to offer the correct service for you."

They ask a lot of questions before they test. I'm sure they wouldn't leave anything to chance.

Why do you need an hep A snd Hep B injection.. I aint ever had either, although i dont have an active sex life and i believe my partner to be the same.

But if we do enter into the world of swinging properly i can understand why one would need regular checks, but i dont understand the Hep A or B injections..

"How do you proach the subject!"?

Deviant City

"Why do you need an hep A snd Hep B injection.. I aint ever had either, although i dont have an active sex life and i believe my partner to be the same.

But if we do enter into the world of swinging properly i can understand why one would need regular checks, but i dont understand the Hep A or B injections..

"How do you proach the subject!"?"

Hep A has never been mentioned to me, but had the hep B due to actively playing with bi men. It's an infection easily spread through body fluids.

"My clinic has never used stirrups or offered throat swabs. On the form you fill out before you see the nurse they ask about specific symptoms.

I think some like to make you feel like you aren't getting a proper service on here. If you are honest at the clinic you will get offered what you need, of that I am sure. It isn't in their best interest not to offer the correct service for you."

I think I just expect a certain level of service.

I'm a high risk group for STI's because I'm in non-closed polyamorous relationships, because I'm a fetishist who enjoys edge play, and because I'm into casual sex/swinging. Therefore when I go to the sexual health clinic I expect them to check me over fully to ensure my health is monitored.

It's like my partner, who has problems with his blood. He wouldn't be happy if when he goes for his blood checkups they just asked him a set of questions to see how he felt he was getting on. He doesn't know the symptoms he's looking for - he's not a qualified doctor. Instead they visually inspect where his problems are (his leg) and then they take a sample of his blood.

Absolutely no difference. I'm not a qualified medical practitioner. I have no interest in being a hobby-practitioner. I'd rather leave the assessment to the professionals, rather than doing it myself.

I think some like to make you feel like you aren't getting a proper service on here. If you are honest at the clinic you will get offered what you need, of that I am sure. It isn't in their best interest not to offer the correct service for you.

I'm a high risk group for STI's because I'm in non-closed polyamorous relationships, because I'm a fetishist who enjoys edge play, and because I'm into casual sex/swinging. Therefore when I go to the sexual health clinic I expect them to check me over fully to ensure my health is monitored.

It's like my partner, who has problems with his blood. He wouldn't be happy if when he goes for his blood checkups they just asked him a set of questions to see how he felt he was getting on. He doesn't know the symptoms he's looking for - he's not a qualified doctor. Instead they visually inspect where his problems are (his leg) and then they take a sample of his blood.

Absolutely no difference. I'm not a qualified medical practitioner. I have no interest in being a hobby-practitioner. I'd rather leave the assessment to the professionals, rather than doing it myself."

So you are getting the appropriate service for you. Which is great. And as you have said you are not a medical practitioner so why question the service that others receive from the medical practitioners?

newcastle

Absolutely no difference. I'm not a qualified medical practitioner. I have no interest in being a hobby-practitioner. I'd rather leave the assessment to the professionals, rather than doing it myself.

So you are getting the appropriate service for you. Which is great. And as you have said you are not a medical practitioner so why question the service that others receive from the medical practitioners? "

So you are getting the appropriate service for you. Which is great. And as you have said you are not a medical practitioner so why question the service that others receive from the medical practitioners? "

Because it just concerns me (conceptually) that the NHS are asking people to judge their own health rather than letting qualified practitioners make the decisions. People who are new to sexual health services might think that it's normal to have to try and self diagnose, and that is something I find worrying.

"Because it just concerns me (conceptually) that the NHS are asking people to judge their own health rather than letting qualified practitioners make the decisions. People who are new to sexual health services might think that it's normal to have to try and self diagnose, and that is something I find worrying."

In addition, if someone tells me that they were checked out recently at a sexual health clinic, I want that to mean a certain benchmark of thing. I want to know that everyone getting checked at a sexual health clinic is being checked as standard for the same things. Standardisation means that we all know what we've been checked for without having to probe further. Which is good. I don't want to sleep with people who are just showing their face so that they can tell people they've been checked.

By *lorious hole bs16Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Recently I have had the sexual health mot via my gp,only drawbacks is it takes a little longer for the results and of course it goes on your records but it saves me the journey of clinics plus I only deal with a couple of people that I know and no long drawn out counselling or history of sexual activity...suits me fine

"Because it just concerns me (conceptually) that the NHS are asking people to judge their own health rather than letting qualified practitioners make the decisions. People who are new to sexual health services might think that it's normal to have to try and self diagnose, and that is something I find worrying.

In addition, if someone tells me that they were checked out recently at a sexual health clinic, I want that to mean a certain benchmark of thing. I want to know that everyone getting checked at a sexual health clinic is being checked as standard for the same things. Standardisation means that we all know what we've been checked for without having to probe further. Which is good. I don't want to sleep with people who are just showing their face so that they can tell people they've been checked."

Perhaps you could compile a list of those clinics that offer an acceptable level of service then to make it clear for us all.

newcastle

[Removed by poster at 03/08/15 16:19:55]

newcastle

"Because it just concerns me (conceptually) that the NHS are asking people to judge their own health rather than letting qualified practitioners make the decisions. People who are new to sexual health services might think that it's normal to have to try and self diagnose, and that is something I find worrying.

In addition, if someone tells me that they were checked out recently at a sexual health clinic, I want that to mean a certain benchmark of thing. I want to know that everyone getting checked at a sexual health clinic is being checked as standard for the same things. Standardisation means that we all know what we've been checked for without having to probe further. Which is good. I don't want to sleep with people who are just showing their face so that they can tell people they've been checked.

Perhaps you could compile a list of those clinics that offer an acceptable level of service then to make it clear for us all. "

I've never been offered a throat swab, and I get asked A LOT of questions everytime. Especially last time as I had a nurse in training who was being observed by a senior staff member.

I go to the GUM clinic at my city's hospital.

They generally offer you asymptomatic tests for when you have no known symptoms.

I usually have a blood test (for hep strains, HIV and syphillis) and a vaginal swab (for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea).

Only once have I been in stirrups and had visual exam, and that was because I told them there had been issues with a condom breaking.

Perhaps you could compile a list of those clinics that offer an acceptable level of service then to make it clear for us all. "

I think you're missing the point.

I am saying that I wish that there was a standard level of service across the NHS so that you knew exactly what you're comparing with other people.

I initially naively assumed that everyone was getting the same high standard of care that I was (and I consider myself very lucky that my clinic was excellent). But then I realised that not everyone was getting the same amount of care so it requires more questioning to figure out what kind of tests people have, which many people find quite invasive and unpleasant.

Perhaps you could compile a list of those clinics that offer an acceptable level of service then to make it clear for us all.

I think you're missing the point.

I am saying that I wish that there was a standard level of service across the NHS so that you knew exactly what you're comparing with other people.

I initially naively assumed that everyone was getting the same high standard of care that I was (and I consider myself very lucky that my clinic was excellent). But then I realised that not everyone was getting the same amount of care so it requires more questioning to figure out what kind of tests people have, which many people find quite invasive and unpleasant."

No I'm not missing the point at all. The point of the thread was for the op to share their experience and encourage more people who were perhaps nervous about going, to go. You seem to have turned it into a critique of the nhs gum service. Surely the important point is that anyone going and asking for a full check will get the same basic tests. If they have symptoms they will get an examination as well. Surely that there is your basic level of service and for most people is perfectly adequate. There is your benchmark.

By *oletiCouple  over a year ago

Doncaster

I'd just like to point out that the op was trying to reassure nervous people about going to a clinic.

I'm sure they were tested correctly with the information they gave.

By *wo of us 1971 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Northampton

Wow. 66 comments. What an interesting debate.

Yes, all of those who thought that we were sharing our experience to reassure others, are right! Thank you for your support.

The comments also reminded us of some other points about our visit which we'd forgotten about.

Yes, we were both asked about our sexual history, albeit brifly in my wife's case.

We were also asked if we had any symptoms or concerns, which we didn't, so I guess the type of check-up we had was based on our answers to the questions.

We'll ask about a throat swab next time too. We'll have to have a think about asking for anything further, without symptoms or concerns. I think we'll ask about other options and types of swab/examination so we understand the process a bit more.

What was really reassuring was the tone and approach of the staff; very professional, sensitive, factual and non-judgemental. We came away wondering what we'd ever had any concern about.

Oh, another point we've just remembered - we went in separately. though we didn't specifically ask whether we could go in together, we assumed that they would prefer the consultations to be in private....to encourage as much honesty as possible.

Also, we chose a clinic out of county, which was realy straight forward. We didn't have to explain why we weren't visiting one in our own county at any point.

Thanks for all the comments. Please keep posting to this thread. We're really interested to hear others' stories and expriences.

W&S

"I've never been offered a throat swab, and I get asked A LOT of questions everytime. Especially last time as I had a nurse in training who was being observed by a senior staff member.

I go to the GUM clinic at my city's hospital.

They generally offer you asymptomatic tests for when you have no known symptoms.

I usually have a blood test (for hep strains, HIV and syphillis) and a vaginal swab (for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea).

Only once have I been in stirrups and had visual exam, and that was because I told them there had been issues with a condom breaking.

"

I use the same clinic and request throat swabs and inspection EVERY time I go. They will do it if you ask them. and if your having oral without a condom you NEED to be having oral swabs.

By *awandOrderCouple  over a year ago

SW London

Life or heath insurance quotes "Have you ever had an HIV test" question for instance..."

That's a strange one, as I had my three children in America and they routinely screen pregnant women for HIV. I always have as thorough checks as possible when I go to the clinic, always use my real name and go locally. I certainly don't broadcast anything about my lifestyle in the vanilla world but best to get as thorough a check as possible.

By *awandOrderCouple  over a year ago

SW London

After reading the whole of the thread it is interesting that the OP would assume people need reassurance about going to the clinic as I would assume everyone would go and why be scared or nervous about your health. Also, why not get the swabs, to be sure, what is the problem with it. I lost count of the number of doctors poking about up there when I was giving birth, three times, especially as on my first they had a change of shift and on my third, my daughter got stuck half way down - on my second the doctor told me I was more experienced than she was as they were so busy this was the first birth she had done on her own .... guess clinics are not the only thing that can vary.

I don't get the whole " what If I'm asked if I had a hiv test as to be honest I would expect every adult that's having sex to have at least one.

As I say I know in my last two pregnancies they screened for hiv.

I'm a little worried also about the amount of people saying that they dont get throat swabs.

I was told that it's an area that infection is on the increase. In fact I know more people that have caught something in the throat than I do anywhere else.

Sounds like most people are having what they call the quick tests. Where you swab yourself, and they take blood and that's it. I only rarely do that if I know to be fair I haven't done much. But even then I prefer to ask for throat swabs too.

"To be fair even as a swinger I have to demand the throat swabs now x "

I went last week to a new (to me, I have moved house) clinic. They asked loads of questions but did not even mention throat swabs. I dont recall ever being offered one tbh. I will ask next time. They asked if I had oral sex...

By *ohjaneCouple  over a year ago

south staffs

In addition, if someone tells me that they were checked out recently at a sexual health clinic, I want that to mean a certain benchmark of thing. I want to know that everyone getting checked at a sexual health clinic is being checked as standard for the same things. Standardisation means that we all know what we've been checked for without having to probe further. Which is good. I don't want to sleep with people who are just showing their face so that they can tell people they've been checked."

ABSOLUTELY ! That is THE point to make. Well said.

Jane x

Deviant City

I have never had symptoms, but as I do lots of oral without protection, I have throat swabs. Why wouldn't you ask if not offered one???

Do people not think you can catch anything orally? Are people that naive?

Same with the people who claim they don't need testing because they use condoms. It's ridiculous.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

"Why do you need an hep A snd Hep B injection.. I aint ever had either, although i dont have an active sex life and i believe my partner to be the same.

"How do you proach the subject!"?"

Hep B can be transmitted via any bodily fluid, including sweat and tears. So if a drip of sweat got into your eye.

It's routinely offered to anyone who works with the homeless or with drug users due to the risk of coming into contact with any bodily fluid (saliva included). Multiple sexual partners can put you at higher risk too.

Simply ask about the hepatitis jab and say that you have had a variety of partners and someone suggested it was worth considering. Since hepatitis can't be cured and the jab is easy and pretty painless it seems to be a no brainer.

"I have never had symptoms, but as I do lots of oral without protection, I have throat swabs. Why wouldn't you ask if not offered one???

Same with the people who claim they don't need testing because they use condoms. It's ridiculous.

"

I guess I am just trusting of the Health Professionals who, despite knowing my history, did not offer me a throat swab or a visual check. They did not watch to see if I took the vag swab properly either. I could have stuck it in my ear! I agree with the previous poster who called for standardisation.

By *lovisMan  over a year ago

Twickenham

I've got an appointment booked at 2.30. Will let you know how I get on.

It is a bit wworrying the lack of standardisation across the board.

"It is a bit wworrying the lack of standardisation across the board.

"

Don't say that - you'll get accused of belittling people, or derailing the thread or something.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"I have never had symptoms, but as I do lots of oral without protection, I have throat swabs. Why wouldn't you ask if not offered one???

"

I guess they are trusting the paid sexual health professional in front of them.

By *lovisMan  over a year ago

Twickenham

So just back from appointment. Came in precooked. Filled out form asking for a sexual health check. Haven't had unprotected sex since last year and had no signs.

Taken into room and had blood test done and given sample jar for urine. Asked about throat swab and the man said they were for those indulging in penis based oral sex.

Got some condoms, provided urine sample and left. Results on 10 days via text.

Deviant City

I guess I am just trusting of the Health Professionals who, despite knowing my history, did not offer me a throat swab or a visual check. They did not watch to see if I took the vag swab properly either. I could have stuck it in my ear! I agree with the previous poster who called for standardisation.

"

crack on if you think it's best way to be checked, just glad my clinic is very thorough and will continue to advice friends to get checked the way I do.

I had a nice little text from the clinic I use, to remind me that I'm due another test just need to book the time and date.....

hep b test this time too, now that they have completed the course.

By *anchestercubMan  over a year ago

manchester & NI

I went on Tuesday morning and got my full MOT results back about an hour ago.

Usually the nurse phones and says everything is clear.

But today I was called by the nurse I don't usually see who started calling out each thing they check for like she was calling out the lottery numbers, followed by "all fine".

So at the end she told me that was great news so I should go out and celebrate at the weekend.

It was a cheery call to wake up to.

Although maybe she'd just had to give someone bad news so she was extra relieved.

But she's so nice and funny I'm asking to see her specifically next time

We only do soft swap. Everything bar full penetration.

Never thought about getting any tests though?

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"

well im glad you are supportive of thorough testing, however, calling people who might be new to the scene 'naive' for not asking for things they didn't know where available at their clinic, is a little harsh.

after recent screening ( all clear) i realize from this thread, that i wasn't offered throat swabs.. and i shall ask, if they are offered next time..

as for the questions on sexual history, mine got a little complicated, when they wanted me to name my last partner and then the one before that..etc, i was forced into saying, i was a swinger, because the guy couldn't get to what he was asking for, namely how 'risky' was my sexual practice... he then asked me, how many partners i had had since my last check, to offer me the best advice..

it was first time, i had been to that clinic..but just to let new people know, that this info is asked for and, better to just ask them, what it is they actually want to know for , so you can give them the best possible answer, to assess you with.. x

"We only do soft swap. Everything bar full penetration.

Never thought about getting any tests though?"

STDs can be passed from toys , fingers and oral

You are just at much at risk as people who have unprotected sex believe it or not

Deviant City

well im glad you are supportive of thorough testing, however, calling people who might be new to the scene 'naive' for not asking for things they didn't know where available at their clinic, is a little harsh.

after recent screening ( all clear) i realize from this thread, that i wasn't offered throat swabs.. and i shall ask, if they are offered next time..

as for the questions on sexual history, mine got a little complicated, when they wanted me to name my last partner and then the one before that..etc, i was forced into saying, i was a swinger, because the guy couldn't get to what he was asking for, namely how 'risky' was my sexual practice... he then asked me, how many partners i had had since my last check, to offer me the best advice..

it was first time, i had been to that clinic..but just to let new people know, that this info is asked for and, better to just ask them, what it is they actually want to know for , so you can give them the best possible answer, to assess you with.. x"

I said are people naive in thinking you can't catch anything orally, not for not asking for throat swabs.

Besides, if people are willing to join the scene, surely one of the first thing you do is discuss sexual health and safer sex???? I know I did, but perhaps that's just my generation. Soooo many people, mainly older couples 50+ have never thought about getting tested, wrongly assuming that condoms are all that's needed and that they are 100% safe. SMH

it was first time, i had been to that clinic..but just to let new people know, that this info is asked for and, better to just ask them, what it is they actually want to know for , so you can give them the best possible answer, to assess you with.. x

I said are people naive in thinking you can't catch anything orally, not for not asking for throat swabs.

Besides, if people are willing to join the scene, surely one of the first thing you do is discuss sexual health and safer sex???? I know I did, but perhaps that's just my generation. Soooo many people, mainly older couples 50+ have never thought about getting tested, wrongly assuming that condoms are all that's needed and that they are 100% safe. SMH "

So rather than patronising these people i thought the purpose of the thread was to help reassure and educate those that perhaps aren't as savvy as you are.

By *arry247Couple  over a year ago

Wakefield

Totally agree, seems they missed out quite a lot that we would normally expect.

An offer of a Hep B vaccination especially important if it was your first screening

By *lack Shoe Red SoulCouple  over a year ago

North Hampshire

I'm sorry but I disagree with earlier posters saying "know your own body" some people can be completely symptom free!! You should have the worlds done when you visit the GUM clinic, no half measures especially if you play!!

X

By *anB451Man  over a year ago

Reading

Personally I go after every meet. I just think its safer and more respectful to the next partner(s) to know that you're all clear

"Personally I go after every meet. I just think its safer and more respectful to the next partner(s) to know that you're all clear"

But you go bareback .... You know they can't test for everything right .....

I always get tested, and i feel less stressed by doing it. I wish more men would do it, but most men lie and never do get tested, they would rather go to pub, have a pint n watch footie.

I go every three months. Was petrified the first time. Now it is normal. They are very professional. And discrete

By *umpleteazerWoman  over a year ago

Flintshire

"Personally I go after every meet. I just think its safer and more respectful to the next partner(s) to know that you're all clear

But you go bareback .... You know they can't test for everything right ..... "

And some things take 3 months to show

manchester & NI

I was just assuming every GP surgery has a sexual health service but maybe they don't.

"I was just assuming every GP surgery has a sexual health service but maybe they don't. "

Local hospital. But don't walk into A&E and say "I have dick-zits". Ask for the GUM clinic

manchester & NI

"I was just assuming every GP surgery has a sexual health service but maybe they don't.

Local hospital. But don't walk into A&E and say "I have dick-zits". Ask for the GUM clinic"

But my surgery has a clinic, that was my point.

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

"Personally I go after every meet. I just think its safer and more respectful to the next partner(s) to know that you're all clear"

after every one?..you mean you wait 3 weeks between each meet..2 weeks before testing so things show up and then one week for the results..cmon...

By *ilacWoman  over a year ago

Cheshire

I get routinely tested every 3 months despite the recommendation from GUM clinic to make it 6 monthly. I find it quite empowering to go usually and I feel like I've ticked a box and can go and continue to play safely.

I recently went to the GUM clinic after finding out I had been put in jeopardy by playing unprotected with someone I trusted, who had been playing elsewhere (everywhere) unprotected. I didn't have any symptoms but I went to the GUM clinic and explained. They were amazing.

They gave me level three tests (whatever that means) due to high risk exposure. I was examined, I had throat, vaginal and anal swabs. I had 11 swabs in all. 5 blood tests. Full sexual history taken. They were sympathetic and gave me lots of their time to explain each and every test, possible outcomes and treatment. Thankfully I was lucky and everything was negative. It literally only took an hour of my time for that piece of mind. Well worth it.

By *lack_GeminiMan  over a year ago

Pattaya

I just got my "all OK" text just now. It's worth the seven day wait to have that peace of mind and knowing you are safe, not just for yourself but the people you meet.

My clinic are good and know i swing. Gave me the hep b jabs soon as i told them and offer me the throat swabs everytime. I can self swab for other stuff or i can ask them to to do it all instead. They also now offer self testing kits that can be ordered online and posted to your home address. I will stick to attending in person though.

Doll x

By *aucy tiggerWoman  over a year ago

Back where I belong

"Clinic i get tested at basically do the full works"

Can I ask where you go please, as you are near me?

Just moving this thread back to the OP'S original reason for posting. ...to anyone who is worried about going to a GUM clinic. Be honest with them about your sexual activity, they aren't asking you to judge you, they've heard it all before.

The staff have always been lovely with me, and gentle when carrying out swabs etc.

It's all fairly discreet, let's face it, we are all sat in the waiting room for sexual health reasons.

So anyone thinking of going, but feel too worried to book an appointment. ...just do it!

Same as Ealing hospital. No news, is good news.

By *itzWoman  over a year ago

south wales

In the past, the early days, insurers would assess a person to be at high risk if they had undertaken a HIV test, even if it was negative. However, in the UK in 2005, the Association of British Insurers set up a working group on HIV and published a code of conduct in 2008 and things have been changing since then. The questions you can now expect are: “Within the last five years have you been exposed to the risk of HIV infection?” and “Have you ever tested positive for HIV, Hepatitis B or C, or are you awaiting the results of such a test? If the result is negative, the fact of having an HIV test will not, of itself, have any effect on your acceptance terms for insurance.” They may ask you to take a test based on your answers, but simply taking a test is no longer detrimental.

All clinics will be changing to urine sample tests for infections, unless a blood sample is needed. If the tests can be done through a urine sample then that's what they will do due to cost effectiveness. Those on about a visual examination, if you can't notice a change in your genital areas then you need educating. Warts and herpes can be spotted easily and if you notice anything like them on your genital area then you should get it checked, by a professional (not that either of those can be permanently treated)....

The sexual health nurse at our clinic is a scream! She asks all about the lifestyle, she's quite intrigued by it and considering it herself! We chat like old friends as she wants a job where I work and asks me to let her know when they are advertising.

Ours has a self check in too so you don't have to speak to reception.

I have hep b jab for work anyway and Paul decided to get it done just incase, he doesn't play with bi men but I do. She throat swabs us both and Pauls is done with a urine test and I swab myself

By *nnaandchrisCouple  over a year ago

loughton

"Just moving this thread back to the OP'S original reason for posting. ...to anyone who is worried about going to a GUM clinic. Be honest with them about your sexual activity, they aren't asking you to judge you, they've heard it all before.

The staff have always been lovely with me, and gentle when carrying out swabs etc.

It's all fairly discreet, let's face it, we are all sat in the waiting room for sexual health reasons.

So anyone thinking of going, but feel too worried to book an appointment. ...just do it!"

This.

Just back from ours. Always be open and honest. Our local one is brilliant, very professional, don’t judge and very to the point. Urine and swabs checked while we are waiting so quick results only have to wait a week for the blood results and always given a goody bag when leaving.

North Hampshire

I keep saying it's not all about knowing your own body ffs!! I'd like to know how I'm supposed to know and my own cervix!!!!

Pre my swinging a days an ex of mine gave me HPV - (warts for the initiated) I (and he the f*cker) was completely free of symptoms! It was a ROUTINE smear that pick up changes that needed a lot of invasive treatment! Peeing in a cup is not going to check for that!!

North Hampshire

Auto correct strikes again

Supposed to know and SEE my own cervix ...

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

"After our recent visit to the Sexual Health Clinic (all clear!), we thought we'd share our experience to reassure others that it's nothing to be nervous about.

After some on-line research to find contact details and locations, we booked appointments out of county to avoid bumping into anyone we might know. When we phoned to book the appointments, we just said "We'd like to book for a full sexual health screening." There were no further difficult questions at that point.

On arrival, we spoke with the receptionist who was very discrete. We just booked in and sat in the waiting room thumbing through old magazines, just like a doctor's surgery with one or two other people waiting.

On my appointment (male), the female nurse came out and called my first name and we went into the treatment room. She asked sexual-activity questions in a very factual and non-judgmental manner, during which I explained that my wife and I had started swinging. She recommended a Hep-B test as well. I popped into the loo to fill the urine sample bottle she provided then returned where she took a blood sample from my arm. That was it!!! 3-weeks later I got my results back when I visited with my wife for her screening.

Hers was a little different to mine as the receptionist on that occasion was a nursing assistant, so she didn't need to see a nurse and wasn't asked any questions.

My wife went into the loo to do her own swab sample, sealing it in the tube and bringing it back out to the receptionist-nurse who then took her into a private room where she had her blood sample taken from her arm too, and we were out within about 5 minutes.

We were both nervous before we went, but having gone, we're glad we did and would encourage everyone to get checked regularly."

Where did you go?

I can thoroughly recommend the one in Rugby. It's close to too.

By *adysilkCouple  over a year ago

birmingham

we get checked regular at chams darlaston on mondays they have a clinic from walsall mannor hospital we have full check and we are give epitius B infection which lasts around 10 years they check your levels every time you have blood test we have never had any infections at all some people use durex and never get checked this is not safe if you dont get checked out nice to hear so many on fab get them selves checked xxxx

By *lactontogMan  over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

» Add a new message to this topic