FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Swinging Support and Advice > Sertraline and libido

Sertraline and libido

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *entfootlover OP   Man 1 week ago

Sevenoaks

If you've been on sertraline before, you probably know it will dull your emotions. When it comes to sex, this often leads to delayed ejaculation. It also lowered my libido considerably.

Now I've decided to go off sertraline, my libido has shot straight up. I need to orgasm almost every day and it's distracting.

Anyone else followed the same trajectory (come off sertraline)? How did you manage the spike in libido?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *imher8587Couple 1 week ago

Kingswinford

Husband texting, wife doesnt need her own dick, she gets enough without owning one.

I've had the same issue with Sertraline & similar medication over the years, even failed ejaculation, erection problems, and other none sexual side effects. Sertraline sent my libido through the roof but left me incredibly frustrated when the old boy didn't wanna work.

After years of going on & off them kind of tablets I gave up on the altogether a year ago, realising every tablet has its pros & cons.

Dunno what your situation is, but I pushed for talking therapy & this has helped somewhat, not for everyone though

By *r Mrs FuckableCouple 1 week ago

Stoke

The total opposite for me. I've been off them for just over 6 years now and my sex drive has never fully returned like it used to be, just have to get on with it, nothing I can do.

Mr F.

By *alloSpaceboyMan 1 week ago

Carmarthen

Had same experience with Sertraline myself as OP.

Truly horrible stuff. Luckily off it now.

And we haven’t talked about the weight-gain aspect of it too.

By *entfootlover OP   Man 1 week ago

Sevenoaks

"Had same experience with Sertraline myself as OP.

Truly horrible stuff. Luckily off it now.

And we haven’t talked about the weight-gain aspect of it too."

Interesting!

I was only on 50mg, considered a low dose. I certainly noticed the weight gain, although that hasn't stopped yet after 1-2 months of coming off Sertraline

By *uckerfuckerMan 7 days ago

Bexley

Been on 150mg of Sertraline for 5 years now. 4 stone weight gain, loss of interest in sex and delayed ejaculation. Other than that, all good! 😀

By *ophieslutTV/TS 7 days ago

Central

At least post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD) is now a recognised medical condition. There is still uncertainty about how it's caused physiologically, which may hamper finding solutions. There are signs that it's not permanent, after the problem may temporarily or permanently disappear. Not any comfort, if you're left with problems for years. Of course, humans also typically get major changes in their sexual abilities, as they age, including for hormonal causes.

Definitely something to ensure your GP knows about for you.

By *trueceltMan 6 days ago

Carms

it's been a long time since I was on sertraline but yes I suffered a loss of libido and took ages to come. the doctor tried me on something else which fixed the libido but gave me ED. I don't take anything now though I probably should (I'm being disingenuous, I know I DEFINITELY should) but sex and intimacy are basically what I live for so to mess with that via medication was counterproductive to improving my mental health. the danger is that a mentally ill person will 'use' what I just described to come off anti depressants and that can be a very serious thing - so what I'm about to say is not for everyone and if you've already tried it, it is pointless to do so again. But I have got by with regular walks in nature, fruit and veg in my diet (find the veg gap, there's one in every meal), moderating my use of social media, having specific times of the day when I seek out the news headlines (avoiding opinion pieces). Also do occasional chanting, yoga for tubby gits and a diary like blog where I write things and try to make sense of shit. I hear fishing is very good too if its ethical catch and release so I might try that at some point... all the best OP

By *entfootlover OP   Man 6 days ago

Sevenoaks

"it's been a long time since I was on sertraline but yes I suffered a loss of libido and took ages to come. the doctor tried me on something else which fixed the libido but gave me ED. I don't take anything now though I probably should (I'm being disingenuous, I know I DEFINITELY should) but sex and intimacy are basically what I live for so to mess with that via medication was counterproductive to improving my mental health. the danger is that a mentally ill person will 'use' what I just described to come off anti depressants and that can be a very serious thing - so what I'm about to say is not for everyone and if you've already tried it, it is pointless to do so again. But I have got by with regular walks in nature, fruit and veg in my diet (find the veg gap, there's one in every meal), moderating my use of social media, having specific times of the day when I seek out the news headlines (avoiding opinion pieces). Also do occasional chanting, yoga for tubby gits and a diary like blog where I write things and try to make sense of shit. I hear fishing is very good too if its ethical catch and release so I might try that at some point... all the best OP"

Very solid advice there!

By *ubzslutWoman 6 days ago

Isle of Wight

i just got prescribed sertraline yesterday, hoping this isn't a universal side effect, jeez

By *orkshire Couple2000Couple 6 days ago

Halifax

Long time user here. It's dampened my sex drive although I'd describe it as going from highly sexed (wanting it 5 times a week) to moderately sexed (once a week). So pur sex drives are now in sync !

Suffered delayed ejaculations when I first started using it. That problem has disappeared over time.

I've put on 5 stone but was 2 stone underweight so swings and roundabouts.

They saved my life in my opinion l.

MR

By *r-8-BBCMan 6 days ago

LONDON

"If you've been on sertraline before, you probably know it will dull your emotions. When it comes to sex, this often leads to delayed ejaculation. It also lowered my libido considerably.

Now I've decided to go off sertraline, my libido has shot straight up. I need to orgasm almost every day and it's distracting.

Anyone else followed the same trajectory (come off sertraline)? How did you manage the spike in libido?"

I was on Sertraline for a bit but had bad side effects, now im on Fluoxetine i do experience the same delay issues some times.

By *bflirtyCouple 5 days ago

Milton Keynes

Was on it for a couple of years and yes, low libido. What was worse was that I found myself doing things just because that’s what I would normally do (bands, clubbing, swingers clubs etc) but actually didn’t care if I was there or not. Everything felt hollow.

Decided to come off them and tapered over a few months and at the same time took up running and went from zero running ever to doing London Marathon in 3:55 at age 50. Lost 3 stone and started to feel human again. I could not have done it without the running but weirdly I don’t feel the runner’s high people talk about.

By *r-8-BBCMan 5 days ago

LONDON

"Was on it for a couple of years and yes, low libido. What was worse was that I found myself doing things just because that’s what I would normally do (bands, clubbing, swingers clubs etc) but actually didn’t care if I was there or not. Everything felt hollow.

Decided to come off them and tapered over a few months and at the same time took up running and went from zero running ever to doing London Marathon in 3:55 at age 50. Lost 3 stone and started to feel human again. I could not have done it without the running but weirdly I don’t feel the runner’s high people talk about. "

By *exy Pretty FeetCouple 4 days ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

"Was on it for a couple of years and yes, low libido. What was worse was that I found myself doing things just because that’s what I would normally do (bands, clubbing, swingers clubs etc) but actually didn’t care if I was there or not. Everything felt hollow.

Decided to come off them and tapered over a few months and at the same time took up running and went from zero running ever to doing London Marathon in 3:55 at age 50. Lost 3 stone and started to feel human again. I could not have done it without the running but weirdly I don’t feel the runner’s high people talk about. "

Wow that's amazing!! 👏👏👏

By (user no longer on site) 4 days ago

Was there myself, literally dampened my endorphins, every time I had sex , I couldn't climax..

Best way to describe it was like someone wrapping your mental health in bubble tape..no highs..no lows..

Remember antidepressants are only a sticking plaster to a cut, and long term better solutions are required

By *7VYMan 4 days ago

Orbit

My take on it is, no one needs Sertraline, for the most part, it's a placebo with side effects, just like every other SSRI

By *ucka39Man 4 days ago

Newcastle

Can also leave the face twitching around the mouth like nervous twitch uncontrollable. In long term use and maybe other parts spasming

By *r-8-BBCMan 4 days ago

LONDON

"Can also leave the face twitching around the mouth like nervous twitch uncontrollable. In long term use and maybe other parts spasming "

One of the side effects I had was spasming.

By *entfootlover OP   Man 4 days ago

Sevenoaks

"Best way to describe it was like someone wrapping your mental health in bubble tape..no highs..no lows..

Remember antidepressants are only a sticking plaster to a cut, and long term better solutions are required "

Good way to describe the emotional numbness.

What started to worry me was when I realised that if I didn't open my mouth, no one was going to review whether I should consider coming off them or not.

By *ucka39Man 4 days ago

Newcastle

"Can also leave the face twitching around the mouth like nervous twitch uncontrollable. In long term use and maybe other parts spasming

One of the side effects I had was spasming. "

That's why it's only recommended for short term. Do more harm than good, then a need to take something else to control other side effects

By (user no longer on site) 4 days ago

"If you've been on sertraline before, you probably know it will dull your emotions. When it comes to sex, this often leads to delayed ejaculation. It also lowered my libido considerably.

Anyone else followed the same trajectory (come off sertraline)? How did you manage the spike in libido?"

Joined fab

By *om and JennieCouple 2 days ago

Chams or Socials

Not Sertraline but Citalopram. My libido totally disappeared. T is so patient.

J x

By *ilfCrumpet9Man 2 days ago

Wirral

I am currently on sertraline due to depression and anxiety and yes defo effects sex drive. But I can't come of it

By *heWelshCoupleCouple 1 day ago

Swansea

"The total opposite for me. I've been off them for just over 6 years now and my sex drive has never fully returned like it used to be, just have to get on with it, nothing I can do.

Mr F. "

I’m in the exact same situation.

By *llNatural36FWoman 1 day ago

Denbighshire

"i just got prescribed sertraline yesterday, hoping this isn't a universal side effect, jeez "

It certainly never done me any harm so don’t worry too much about it. My sex drive wasn’t effected in the slightest x

By *eckme70Man 1 day ago

Strabane

On Venlaflaxine 300mg n Mirtazapine 45mg and tbh I've little to no sex drive 😪😪

By *aulupforitMan 1 day ago

Corbridge

I know the feeling well and throw in my heart medication I can go 3 weeks before I can ejaculate.

Great if someone wants a all night session

By *essTTWoman 1 day ago

Birmingham

It killed mine forever.

I go on and off it like a yoyo and when I'm off my sex drive doesn't come back.

I recently gone up a dose which is the same however I can now orgasm whereas I couldn't before.

If you're well enough to come off it then I would 100% recommend weaning off but for me, having no sex drive is a small price to pay to be able to drive my car without wanting to drive into a wall or tree lol

By *eckme70Man 1 day ago

Strabane

"I know the feeling well and throw in my heart medication I can go 3 weeks before I can ejaculate.

Great if someone wants a all night session "

Same here with heart n diabetes meds

By *eckme70Man 1 day ago

Strabane

"It killed mine forever.

I go on and off it like a yoyo and when I'm off my sex drive doesn't come back.

I recently gone up a dose which is the same however I can now orgasm whereas I couldn't before.

If you're well enough to come off it then I would 100% recommend weaning off but for me, having no sex drive is a small price to pay to be able to drive my car without wanting to drive into a wall or tree lol "

I know that feeling only to well Tess,I'll not be cumin off them anytime soon lol

» Add a new message to this topic