FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > How dare you

How dare you

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So this was Greta Thunberg famous speach on climate change, while her wee heart is in the right place maybe shutting down the planets entire economy and ending civilization as we know might be taking things a little to far in my view.

Thoughts peeps. ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

Coronavirus might shut down the world economy for her - or at least slow it down. There is a good negative correlation between carbon emmissions and economic recessions.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Reducing a complex issue down to the words of one person does nobody any favours. Perhaps useful as a rallying cry but, like most protest, does not equate to meaningful action.

Can't argue with the collapse of humanity being the best thing for the planet overall. Form an orderly queue and take one for Team Planet...

[Removed by poster at 03/03/20 00:44:30]

Greta is idealistic but we have to have a dream before we can have a dream come true. That’s the essence of not only a Rodgers and Hammerstein song but of public rights activist Martin Luther King Jnr. We need people like that to inspire us, maybe Greta is one of those people

By *un44Man  over a year ago

GLASGOW

People need to let Greta go back to school and not be used as a mouthpiece for others. She is a wee girl that has a learning disability and is being used as publicly. Her carbon free trip to the climate change summit actually needed 6 flights across the Atlantic with crew to bring it back. When asked questions our of the public eye her 'bodyguards ' jump in. She was also asked about her view on climate changes and her response was to ask someone else to answer the question. Yes we need to change our ways but unfortunately the world revolves around money so the fuel companies will be slow to change because they will loose money, government will be slow to change as they loose easy money through tax and we are slow to change as we are used to our comfortable living. So where I agree that things need to change and quickly (and I'm doing my bit to change) Gretas family need to take care of her and not throw her into the public eye as we will inevitably get bored with her and go after her in the relentless we do through the media.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"People need to let Greta go back to school and not be used as a mouthpiece for others. She is a wee girl that has a learning disability and is being used as publicly. Her carbon free trip to the climate change summit actually needed 6 flights across the Atlantic with crew to bring it back. When asked questions our of the public eye her 'bodyguards ' jump in. She was also asked about her view on climate changes and her response was to ask someone else to answer the question. Yes we need to change our ways but unfortunately the world revolves around money so the fuel companies will be slow to change because they will loose money, government will be slow to change as they loose easy money through tax and we are slow to change as we are used to our comfortable living. So where I agree that things need to change and quickly (and I'm doing my bit to change) Gretas family need to take care of her and not throw her into the public eye as we will inevitably get bored with her and go after her in the relentless we do through the media."

Pretty much agree with all of the above. She constantly said she's angry, haha. An angry 16 year old who'd have thought eh lol.

Media hype....detracts from the really important things going on in the world.

By *irky_coupleCouple  over a year ago

kirky

Getting tedious. Rambling on about the world being on fire. Absolute nonsense. She will be forgotten in a couple of years when someone else takes up the cudgel. Feel sorry for her as she is clearly being used.

The min I found out she had autism I changed my view.

Not on her .but her parents.

"The min I found out she had autism I changed my view.

Not on her .but her parents."

This.

I'm afraid she's just a puppet of people who'll make business of her charisma.

By *hatsmynameagainCouple  over a year ago

Ayrshire

What really pisses me off about this Greta trend isn't actually Greta but the hypocrites on fb.

Ive saw lots of armchair pro Greta activists moan but they still drive a car, eat meat and fly around the world.

Its the same with many green actvists, Saw something the other week about how buses from all over the country were coming to Bristol to support the school strikers. Surely if you car about the environment then they should of walked or cycled?

Im all for saving the planet but a common sense approach is whats needed over these acts of activism.

Mr

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

"People need to let Greta go back to school and not be used as a mouthpiece for others. She is a wee girl that has a learning disability and is being used as publicly. Her carbon free trip to the climate change summit actually needed 6 flights across the Atlantic with crew to bring it back. When asked questions our of the public eye her 'bodyguards ' jump in. She was also asked about her view on climate changes and her response was to ask someone else to answer the question. Yes we need to change our ways but unfortunately the world revolves around money so the fuel companies will be slow to change because they will loose money, government will be slow to change as they loose easy money through tax and we are slow to change as we are used to our comfortable living. So where I agree that things need to change and quickly (and I'm doing my bit to change) Gretas family need to take care of her and not throw her into the public eye as we will inevitably get bored with her and go after her in the relentless we do through the media."

Aspergers is not a learning disability.

GLASGOW

Aspergers is not a learning

disability.

Sorry a 'developmental disorder'!, but that's not the point. She is being used by a circle of people who dont seem to care for her wellbeing and when things turn against her they will disappear into the shadows and she will be left in the spotlight with no defence.

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

What I don't understand is those who change their minds when they realise she has Asperger's.

The validity of her arguement is neither diminished nor enhanced by her neurodiversity.

"Media hype....detracts from the really important things going on in the world."

This!

"What really pisses me off about this Greta trend isn't actually Greta but the hypocrites on fb."

What pisses me of is the "all or nothing" approach to conservation. That somehow you don't care about the planet if you drive a car, or take a flight, or use a plastic cup.

We live in societies that are saturated with petrochemicals, plastics and animal by-products. Just because someone hasn't turned into a 100% off-grid caveman doesn't make their arguments any less valid. We have to embrace that hypocrisy, and accept that it's not the small, individual choices that will win the day. It's only the huge, monumental decisions at a cultural and societal level that will save things.

"What really pisses me off about this Greta trend isn't actually Greta but the hypocrites on fb.

What pisses me of is the "all or nothing" approach to conservation. That somehow you don't care about the planet if you drive a car, or take a flight, or use a plastic cup.

We live in societies that are saturated with petrochemicals, plastics and animal by-products. Just because someone hasn't turned into a 100% off-grid caveman doesn't make their arguments any less valid. We have to embrace that hypocrisy, and accept that it's not the small, individual choices that will win the day. It's only the huge, monumental decisions at a cultural and societal level that will save things. "

Agreed and well said that man!!!

By *hatsmynameagainCouple  over a year ago

Ayrshire

"What really pisses me off about this Greta trend isn't actually Greta but the hypocrites on fb.

We live in societies that are saturated with petrochemicals, plastics and animal by-products. Just because someone hasn't turned into a 100% off-grid caveman doesn't make their arguments any less valid. We have to embrace that hypocrisy, and accept that it's not the small, individual choices that will win the day. It's only the huge, monumental decisions at a cultural and societal level that will save things. "

One of the things in particular I had in mind when I wrote that was someone moaning at a guy that was moaning about McDonalds no longer issuing plastic straws.

She teared him a new arsehole about how plastic straws ruined the oceans and so on.

Yet her facebook profile was full of pictures and storys about her recent trip to the USA

Im not advocating people going off grid and rolling back to the days of the stone age but if you're going to publicly attack someone over the lack of thought for the environment then you should pay a little thought to it yourself

Mr

"So this was Greta Thunberg famous speach on climate change, while her wee heart is in the right place maybe shutting down the planets entire economy and ending civilization as we know might be taking things a little to far in my view.

Thoughts peeps. ?

"

This girl is a plant, designed simply to infiltrate the minds of future generations (see Fridays aff school) such that they’re indoctrinated into the new Green Industrial Revolution, quibble free. It’s a steering mechanism founded on half truths, likely funded by particular NGOs and designed to promote socio-political-economical destabilisation for a particular end.

Can I just say... and tbh I don’t know much apart from briefly reading about her after seeing it here.

Those with aspergers can become obsessive with an interest. This girl will not be ‘told what to do’. The problem is that she can only think in black and white, no grey areas, and no room for debate. I’m not referring particularly to her passion, I’m referring to the way she’s wired. Aspergers think different, most can’t lie, which is where social interaction becomes problematic for them. They say it as they see it and can’t understand social niceties. There use of words is also literal, they use words in the ways they are actually meant to be used, hence some struggling with wit, humour and sarcasm.

I realise slightly of topic regards the green issue, but she will not be a follower and highly unlikely be told what to do.

I’m no expert. Speaking merely as a mom with an adult child on the spectrum who has done much research over the years to help and understand her son. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend

GLASGOW

"Can I just say... and tbh I don’t know much apart from briefly reading about her after seeing it here.

Those with aspergers can become obsessive with an interest. This girl will not be ‘told what to do’. The problem is that she can only think in black and white, no grey areas, and no room for debate. I’m not referring particularly to her passion, I’m referring to the way she’s wired. Aspergers think different, most can’t lie, which is where social interaction becomes problematic for them. They say it as they see it and can’t understand social niceties. There use of words is also literal, they use words in the ways they are actually meant to be used, hence some struggling with wit, humour and sarcasm.

I realise slightly of topic regards the green issue, but she will not be a follower and highly unlikely be told what to do.

I’m no expert. Speaking merely as a mom with an adult child on the spectrum who has done much research over the years to help and understand her son. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend "

I fully understand the difficulties faced by those who have asperger's and I have dealings with sufferers (if that's the right phrase) both young and old. And I fully agree that we need to change our ways as a matter of urgency, my issue is those who should know better are using this young girls condition to put across their own beliefs. Seeing footage of her struggling to answer unscripted questions was painful and upsetting. All that will happen is society and the media will get pissed off at her and turn against her subjecting her to a world of abuse that she wont understand because that's what we as a society like doing. Building someone up then pulling out the rug from underneath them and those responsible will walk away from her and move onto the next person.

"Can I just say... and tbh I don’t know much apart from briefly reading about her after seeing it here.

I’m no expert. Speaking merely as a mom with an adult child on the spectrum who has done much research over the years to help and understand her son. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend

I fully understand the difficulties faced by those who have asperger's and I have dealings with sufferers (if that's the right phrase) both young and old. And I fully agree that we need to change our ways as a matter of urgency, my issue is those who should know better are using this young girls condition to put across their own beliefs. Seeing footage of her struggling to answer unscripted questions was painful and upsetting. All that will happen is society and the media will get pissed off at her and turn against her subjecting her to a world of abuse that she wont understand because that's what we as a society like doing. Building someone up then pulling out the rug from underneath them and those responsible will walk away from her and move onto the next person. "

I absolutely agree!

I’ve not seen or read much on this topic or the girl tbh. I just felt, as you’ll understand through your own experiences, that, yes to a degree she will be given a platform as it suits those that want to use her strength of character. But, ha ha, if she is anything like my son, her knowledge will be fact based and she will know her own mind.

Suddenly she has ‘friendships’, the realisation that will come will be devastating for her. I don’t think her parents can do much apart from support her drive and be there when she tumbles.

"So this was Greta Thunberg famous speach on climate change, while her wee heart is in the right place maybe shutting down the planets entire economy and ending civilization as we know might be taking things a little to far in my view.

Thoughts peeps. ?

"

for past 30 years I have enjoyed driving fast cars and motorcycles, roughly clock up 30,000 miles per year

usually 2 usa holidays per year

love all meat for food and shoot deer for food

I can start up and shutdown a production oil platform and often do as this is part of my job

My thoughts on Greta,

she means nothing to me, people like her come and go through the years as I continue to earn a living and enjoy life to the full.

By *izzabelle and well hungCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh.

It’s all total bunk.

GLASGOW

I fully understand the difficulties faced by those who have asperger's and I have dealings with sufferers (if that's the right phrase) both young and old. And I fully agree that we need to change our ways as a matter of urgency, my issue is those who should know better are using this young girls condition to put across their own beliefs. Seeing footage of her struggling to answer unscripted questions was painful and upsetting. All that will happen is society and the media will get pissed off at her and turn against her subjecting her to a world of abuse that she wont understand because that's what we as a society like doing. Building someone up then pulling out the rug from underneath them and those responsible will walk away from her and move onto the next person.

I absolutely agree!

I’ve not seen or read much on this topic or the girl tbh. I just felt, as you’ll understand through your own experiences, that, yes to a degree she will be given a platform as it suits those that want to use her strength of character. But, ha ha, if she is anything like my son, her knowledge will be fact based and she will know her own mind.

Suddenly she has ‘friendships’, the realisation that will come will be devastating for her. I don’t think her parents can do much apart from support her drive and be there when she tumbles."

Fingers crossed they do and their not part of problem.

By *ljamMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

At least she gets people talking. Admittedly many of the ones doing the talking are idiots but hey-ho, that's the Internet for you.

By *ithardscotMan  over a year ago

Kelty

"Greta is idealistic but we have to have a dream before we can have a dream come true. That’s the essence of not only a Rodgers and Hammerstein song but of public rights activist Martin Luther King Jnr. We need people like that to inspire us, maybe Greta is one of those people "

Agreed.

» Add a new message to this topic