FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Climate change

Climate change

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uietbloke67 OP   Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Ok probably a topic for the political page, however I wanted a Scottish perspective.

As a country who would base its independent finances on oil and gas, how would we feel if these demonstrations where holding up our towns and cities.

Play nice

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think climate change is natural, however humans are accelerating it at a worrying pace. Scotland has ample wind and water resources to replace fossil fuels and I’m sure I read that we are moving over to that pretty fast (might be one reason Westminster is keen to keep us ). Not sure if exact figures though and by no means an expert.

The demonstrations are born of frustration, we need to change and it’s not happening fast enough. That change has to come from higher up before people and make better affordable choices. There will be a lot more about all this in the next few years. War if not more civil disruption is likely... the peasants are revolting and tired of the lies and greed

By *estless nativeMan  over a year ago

near Glasgow

I have no issues with demonstrations/protests which are encouraging positive change in attitudes especially if we all benefit in the long run.

Also as posted above Scotland is already making the transition to renewables, oil and gas accounts for aprox 10% of our economy, maybe we should be focussed on the 90% for our economic future.

By *hatsmynameagainCouple  over a year ago

Ayrshire

We know that the Earth has been a few degrees warmer than it currently is so there is an argument that climate change is natural, But we are accelerating it at alarming speeds.

When it comes to the climate change debate theres a lot of hypocrisy, In the last few days on my Facebook Ive been watching people argue over it. One person in particular is very pro Greta and has been banging on about how we need to reduce our carbon footprint.

Thing is she's well off and flys round the world several times a year for both work and pleasure and she's getting on at people that cant afford a weekend in Sandylands.

Currently as Im sure everyones aware there is another debate going on just now regarding global trade, Cargo shipping is one of the highest users of oil. If you trade oil one of the things you study to predict oil prices is U.S exports. The more thats exported the more oil will be used the higher prices will get.

We even have climate change protesters blocking roads which causes people to sit waiting with there engines on using more fuel than they would of .

As individuals there is little we can do, we can make small changes like not use plastic straws but if there is to be any real change then its really up to governments to find alternatives.

Mr

By *earded blossomCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

It's all down to greed and money, nothing else

John

All the climate change experts on here blaming it on humans, yet less than half of scientists who back up climate change say it is not a man made issue

By *entish79Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"All the climate change experts on here blaming it on humans, yet less than half of scientists who back up climate change say it is not a man made issue"

You’re right, less than half of scientists do say it isn’t a man made issue. A lot less than half.

IIRC 90% + of peer reviewed research supports the theory that the accelerated and significant warming we are seeing now is largely down to man made factors.

This idea that the scientific community is still out on this is nonsense.

It’s like giving equal weight to the theories that the is spherical and that it is flat.

By *eoeclipseWoman  over a year ago

glasgow

It's not just about the human impact being lower than some claim.

Human population is growing at an alarming rate, deaths rates are falling which means more resources are needed for everything from fresh water to food to infrastructure.

Even going "green" is not enough....where do all the bits for solar panels & wind farms come from? Mining.

It's no where near as simple as switching energy source, even switching to "recyclable" goods is useless if it doesn't get done.

For example: Corporations love writing misleading stuff like "biodegradable"on wipes. Of they were biodegradable they would mush up in the packet given they're wet.

You've got human impact in every corner of the earth, non bio waste everywhere (by bio I mean can actually break down in nature).

Oil & gases being pulled from the crust of the earth, you move enough it's gonna leave a gap.

Trying to feed people by meat or veg take up land, that is not kept for ecosystems balance & the land is becoming less fertile because of over use.

S**t! Lost my train of thought.

Trees being removed from land is causing landslides, flooding & Deserts are growing.

Over fishing, dreading sea & river beds is destroying eco systems that affect the co2 levels.

Even if you look at ancient human history, we made many species extent not long after we found some where. Australia's giants are a good example.

The real problem is we have no natural predators to help keep our populations in check, even disease is largely curable (when you put it in percentages against population size). Famine, feck we'll import it or grow it in a lab.....

No respect for nature & no balance.

We all contribute to it. Been a good 80,000 year run though (short time for a species) & we're taking everything with us to the afterlife cos we'll need it there ??

We're all screwed!! ??

Dunno but the wee girl who is face of the campaign scares the bejesus outa me..creepy as feck!!

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

Oil can be used cleanly although nowhere does it fully as the costs to profit ratio is ridiculous. It mainly means it’s either used for plastics etc or broken down into other elements.

We’re bad and we’re fucking things up my friend from uni is studying the permafrost in Russia and it’s a time bomb essentially. We do have a lot of leeway on paper, been hotter before etc.

However our rate of change isn’t natural and the few times extreme changes happened, nearly all life died out. Scientists are worried about tipping points globally and locally, hence the increased pressure. Best things people can do is eat less meat, eat more local, mend and use electric over gas/oil.

By *ilversunMan  over a year ago

Cumbernauld

"It's not just about the human impact being lower than some claim.

Human population is growing at an alarming rate, deaths rates are falling which means more resources are needed for everything from fresh water to food to infrastructure.

Even going "green" is not enough....where do all the bits for solar panels & wind farms come from? Mining.

It's no where near as simple as switching energy source, even switching to "recyclable" goods is useless if it doesn't get done.

For example: Corporations love writing misleading stuff like "biodegradable"on wipes. Of they were biodegradable they would mush up in the packet given they're wet.

You've got human impact in every corner of the earth, non bio waste everywhere (by bio I mean can actually break down in nature).

Oil & gases being pulled from the crust of the earth, you move enough it's gonna leave a gap.

Trying to feed people by meat or veg take up land, that is not kept for ecosystems balance & the land is becoming less fertile because of over use.

Trees being removed from land is causing landslides, flooding & Deserts are growing.

Over fishing, dreading sea & river beds is destroying eco systems that affect the co2 levels.

Even if you look at ancient human history, we made many species extent not long after we found some where. Australia's giants are a good example.

The real problem is we have no natural predators to help keep our populations in check, even disease is largely curable (when you put it in percentages against population size). Famine, feck we'll import it or grow it in a lab.....

We all contribute to it. Been a good 80,000 year run though (short time for a species) & we're taking everything with us to the afterlife cos we'll need it there ??

We're all screwed!! ??

"

Population growth isn't the issue as the growth is coming in countries that contribute the least to climate change. Most developing countries populations are declining. As child survival rates increase population flattens out. The issue is that with climate change farmable land area decreases middle America become unsustainable. This drives migration civil unrest, war etc. So same result we are all screwed. As has been mentioned change needs to come from the government and happen quicker but it's not. We need the protests be we also need to vote for change

By *ilversunMan  over a year ago

Cumbernauld

We're all screwed!! ??

Population growth isn't the issue as the growth is coming in countries that contribute the least to climate change. Most developing countries populations are declining. As child survival rates increase population flattens out. The issue is that with climate change farmable land area decreases middle America become unsustainable. This drives migration civil unrest, war etc. So same result we are all screwed. As has been mentioned change needs to come from the government and happen quicker but it's not. We need the protests be we also need to vote for change"

Developed countries population declining.

glasgow

Doesn't matter the difference between developed & undeveloped countries really cos it's a global issue overall that affect all of us.

The Sahara sands fertilize the Amazon for instance.

I get start with the wo/man in the mirror attitude cos unless we all change, it will all change.

Artic experienced it largest recorded ice melt this summer, releasing alsorts of trapped gasses & viruses, we all breathe the same air.

Scotland had forest fires in February this year, a country known for its wet weather!

By *rscotsdudeMan  over a year ago

angus

We're all screwed!! ??

"

I would like you to tell me where in scotland or even the UK as a whole, farm land is overused and less fertile?

I will refrain from any discussion till i have an answer ....

glasgow

We're all screwed!! ??

I would like you to tell me where in scotland or even the UK as a whole, farm land is overused and less fertile?

I will refrain from any discussion till i have an answer ...."

This us a global issue not just a UK one. We import most of our food & export most of what we produce.

Everywhere, land has been overused for centuries, just cos it looks green doesn't mean its not overused....just means it's being covered in synthetic artificial nonsense to make it that way.

Don't put nothing on it & it'll be a different story very quickly.

Go actually read the science & stop thinking the issue is just the rest of the world...it is not.

The second in British wildlife itself tells the story, never mind the difference in weather patterns.

It all links together & it fails when people don't recognize that.

The UK is not on a separate planet.

"It's all down to greed and money, nothing else

John "

What he said

The “civil” disobedience grassroots groups have been established to encourage destabilisation for a particular outcome.

The narrative is always a side issue.

By *evilsAdvocate94Woman  over a year ago

edinburgh

I think they have a point we’ve seen it here our seasons are definitely changing.

But

I think they go about it the wrong way, when extinction rebellion shut down Edinburgh for a few hrs a few months ago they caused massive queues of traffic everywhere and those queues were slow moving spewing out all the much from their cars!!! Also they pissed off a lot of people who they should actually be trying to get on side.

I was much more up with them flying themselves to the parliament car park that I could get on board with!

angus

We're all screwed!! ??

This us a global issue not just a UK one. We import most of our food & export most of what we produce.

Everywhere, land has been overused for centuries, just cos it looks green doesn't mean its not overused....just means it's being covered in synthetic artificial nonsense to make it that way.

Go actually read the science & stop thinking the issue is just the rest of the world...it is not.

The second in British wildlife itself tells the story, never mind the difference in weather patterns.

The UK is not on a separate planet. "

Land being overused in the uk is absolute bollocks. If farmers dont protect there main asset they wouldnt be here. Farmers have careful rotations to manage there land and protect it. Much of the land animals are on cant grow anything else and without animals organic farming cant exist as they provide the muck to grow the crops.

Do you think crops can just grow without any input? If you did that then the soil would be truly fucked.

Im sorry, but you're spouting nonsense about something you know fuck all about. You can tell me the solution since you know so much?

Every farmer would love to know how to grow crops without any input that dosnt drain the soil of all its reserves??

By *pinCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

We're all screwed!! ??

Land being overused in the uk is absolute bollocks. If farmers dont protect there main asset they wouldnt be here. Farmers have careful rotations to manage there land and protect it. Much of the land animals are on cant grow anything else and without animals organic farming cant exist as they provide the muck to grow the crops.

Do you think crops can just grow without any input? If you did that then the soil would be truly fucked.

Im sorry, but you're spouting nonsense about something you know fuck all about. You can tell me the solution since you know so much?

Every farmer would love to know how to grow crops without any input that dosnt drain the soil of all its reserves??"

British farmers do manage their land well in terms of crops. Also creating arable land like we’ve done on some of the islands. I think the point being missed is that we are over doing the live stock farming and isolating small woodland areas making it in sustainable for wildlife.

Really should be more controlled hunting and less livestock pastures.

edinburgh

*unsustainable

angus

There has not been any new arable land created since the second world war. Every year there less land available every year due to urbanization. Also the more upland units are becoming unstainable and more is being left back to nature. That does not feed the world and certainly on scotland ,heather doesn't feed humans!

By *serfriendly500Man  over a year ago

lanarkshire

call me a cynic but i find it amusing that the peeps who own all the big multi nationals who cause all the coe emissions are the very same people who fund the ipcc and little gretas new green deal gang of scaremongering ecowarriors. they`re just scarng us the turkeys to vote for christmas and vote to give them total control of the eco chain of food and resources using our taxpayers money and pension plans to finance it ,lol

global warming is a farce but climate change isn t . for the peeps who like science just look up Professor Valentina Zharkova `s preasentation to the IPCC IN 2018 . The Grand Solar Minimum. she a prof at sunderland uni and her and her team study solar fluxutions ,sunspots and magnetic fields etc anb she predicts global cooling starting now and said it will be proved true by 2020 .interesting read and i recomend investing in a wood burner and a heated greanhouse . the ipcc tried to get her paper banned i wonder why , bring on the trolls

Glasgow

"call me a cynic but i find it amusing that the peeps who own all the big multi nationals who cause all the coe emissions are the very same people who fund the ipcc and little gretas new green deal gang of scaremongering ecowarriors. they`re just scarng us the turkeys to vote for christmas and vote to give them total control of the eco chain of food and resources using our taxpayers money and pension plans to finance it ,lol

global warming is a farce but climate change isn t . for the peeps who like science just look up Professor Valentina Zharkova `s preasentation to the IPCC IN 2018 . The Grand Solar Minimum. she a prof at sunderland uni and her and her team study solar fluxutions ,sunspots and magnetic fields etc anb she predicts global cooling starting now and said it will be proved true by 2020 .interesting read and i recomend investing in a wood burner and a heated greanhouse . the ipcc tried to get her paper banned i wonder why , bring on the trolls

"

I thought that has been pretty thoroughly debunked?

And since when was the IPCC funded by big corporations? It’s funded by the UN Environment Programme and the World Meteorological Organisation.

Your conspiracy theory doesn’t even make sense. You would have us believe that that this conspiracy involves big multi nationals funding an organisation to mislead the public into thinking they climate change is man made, and the solution involves taking drastic steps that would have a massive negative impact on the revenue and profits of these self same multi nationals.

edinburgh

"There has not been any new arable land created since the second world war. Every year there less land available every year due to urbanization. Also the more upland units are becoming unstainable and more is being left back to nature. That does not feed the world and certainly on scotland ,heather doesn't feed humans!

"

Not truly arable, yes. Plenty of places have made land arable to a point. Reinforces the point that livestock isn’t sustainable for the population as a whole.

By *b735Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

We're all screwed!! ??

Every farmer would love to know how to grow crops without any input that dosnt drain the soil of all its reserves??"

glasgow

Really, sooo many farmers leaving that profession cos it's no longer a sustainable living, lands being bought for buildings.

Completely missed the point about the fact that most of what we eat is imported & we don't live on another planet, exo systems around the world are linked & affect each other.

We don't grow enough on this island to feed everyone that lives here either.

Muck is a natural fertilizer, yes but other things are not & the pesticides etc harm bees & butterflies who pollinate, those bugs feed the birds & bats who also eat seeds/berries which are then deposited elsewhere & grow. Worms, key indication of soil health...harmed by chemicals too.

It's an eco-cycle, all connected.

As said by another Scotland has little arable land & there is less and less of it due to increases in housing needs, therefore rest rotations cannot/will not be able to be managed making it unsustainable.

Think long term & global, not just your lifetime & local.

angus

"Really, sooo many farmers leaving that profession cos it's no longer a sustainable living, lands being bought for buildings.

Completely missed the point about the fact that most of what we eat is imported & we don't live on another planet, exo systems around the world are linked & affect each other.

We don't grow enough on this island to feed everyone that lives here either.

Muck is a natural fertilizer, yes but other things are not & the pesticides etc harm bees & butterflies who pollinate, those bugs feed the birds & bats who also eat seeds/berries which are then deposited elsewhere & grow. Worms, key indication of soil health...harmed by chemicals too.

It's an eco-cycle, all connected.

As said by another Scotland has little arable land & there is less and less of it due to increases in housing needs, therefore rest rotations cannot/will not be able to be managed making it unsustainable.

Think long term & global, not just your lifetime & local."

I never said loads of farmers were leaving the profession. I said more upland units were being left abandoned.

I did not miss the point most of what we eat is imported..its a well known fact and eating what is produced in the uk has far more benifit to the environment than importing foods from around the world.

I asked you where in the uk where we are over using land. You still havnt answered that?

You have no idea about farming and rotations. Regardless of what happens rotations will be stuck too. Potatoes will not be grown in the same field for at least 5years if not more . Peas ,carrott ect all cannot be grown in the same field year after year. No farmer is that stupid which you seem to think they are! Rotations can not be shortened just because humans need more food as that would be unsustainable!, Youre just spouting nonsense about something you know nothing about.

Not even in the war when we were drastically short of food did they cut rotations of crops such as potatoes as it simply cannot be done.

I admit im only speaking for farmers in UK and there is big problems around the world but take some pride that countryside on your doorstep is some of the most diverse in the world and is well managed.

All I will say is I would love to punch Greta thunberg square on the mush

lanarkshire

"call me a cynic but i find it amusing that the peeps who own all the big multi nationals who cause all the coe emissions are the very same people who fund the ipcc and little gretas new green deal gang of scaremongering ecowarriors. they`re just scarng us the turkeys to vote for christmas and vote to give them total control of the eco chain of food and resources using our taxpayers money and pension plans to finance it ,lol

And since when was the IPCC funded by big corporations? It’s funded by the UN Environment Programme and the World Meteorological Organisation.

Your conspiracy theory doesn’t even make sense. You would have us believe that that this conspiracy involves big multi nationals funding an organisation to mislead the public into thinking they climate change is man made, and the solution involves taking drastic steps that would have a massive negative impact on the revenue and profits of these self same multi nationals. "

well since i m not allowed a full response tells you all you need to know ,lol

Your conspiracy theory doesn’t even make sense. You would have us believe that that this conspiracy involves big multi nationals funding an organisation to mislead the public into thinking they climate change is man made, and the solution involves taking drastic steps that would have a massive negative impact on the revenue and profits of these self same multi nationals. well since i m not allowed a full response tells you all you need to know ,lol

"

As George Carlin says the earth will shake humans off like a bad case of fleas and repair its self

lanarkshire

anyone who wants more info just pm , lol

Glasgow

Your conspiracy theory doesn’t even make sense. You would have us believe that that this conspiracy involves big multi nationals funding an organisation to mislead the public into thinking they climate change is man made, and the solution involves taking drastic steps that would have a massive negative impact on the revenue and profits of these self same multi nationals. well since i m not allowed a full response tells you all you need to know ,lol

"

Eh? What do you mean, you’re not allowed a full response?

glasgow

Most of the farmland in the UK is the same land that's been used for decades, if not longer. That's already been said.

Rotations are one thing but no farmland is rested properly, it's always used for something, crops, animals, silage/hay. Therefore still over used.

I do get that UK land is more managed than some places round the world but crops can still be hit by global effects, plenty of crops lost not to long ago through a dry summer & mean winter and with ever increasing risk of drought especially in the south and when it rains heavily after droughts it doesn't penetrate the soil properly & instead runs off the top or floods. Damaging the land & what ever was on it.

Fresh water is also become scarce so that's another problem.

Yes, eating what we grow is more environmentally friendly than importing but there's not enough to feed everyone so imports matter.

angus

"Most of the farmland in the UK is the same land that's been used for decades, if not longer. That's already been said.

Rotations are one thing but no farmland is rested properly, it's always used for something, crops, animals, silage/hay. Therefore still over used.

I do get that UK land is more managed than some places round the world but crops can still be hit by global effects, plenty of crops lost not to long ago through a dry summer & mean winter and with ever increasing risk of drought especially in the south and when it rains heavily after droughts it doesn't penetrate the soil properly & instead runs off the top or floods. Damaging the land & what ever was on it.

Fresh water is also become scarce so that's another problem.

Yes, eating what we grow is more environmentally friendly than importing but there's not enough to feed everyone so imports matter."

I still dont get your point on resting farmland?? Yes it always used for something but resting it serves very little purpose.

As i said farmers have rotations they use but also plant break crops that help the land. So crops such as peas,beans and best of all grass which is benificial to the ground . Potatoes take alot out of the soil so hence the 5yr break but grass on the other hand takes very little and helps improve the structure and bio diversity of the soil. Farmers carefully manage all these factors as well as soil testing to monitor trace elements to keep the soil in top condition.

Google the pants experiment a farmer did a while ago. The cotton pants burried beside the hedge which wasnt farmed were practically intact, the ones in the farmed field were disintegrated due to the increased biodiversity. The one thing a farmer wants is healthy soil and in uk they are experts at it!

» Add a new message to this topic