FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Calf / achilles help

Calf / achilles help

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Genuine help

Playing footie....calf went. Did the whole RICE thing. Rested several weeks. Tried to play. Lasted 45min. Pain and tight again. Problem area seems to have moved to lower calf / top achilles

And advice? Meds? Supplements? Any sports physios etc around?

Thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Genuine help

Playing footie....calf went. Did the whole RICE thing. Rested several weeks. Tried to play. Lasted 45min. Pain and tight again. Problem area seems to have moved to lower calf / top achilles

Thanks in advance"

Yup, fuck the medical profession or physiotherapists, I'd ask Fab too.

Been there and consult a physio. Thought id ask a broad audience if anybody has a similar experience in the past or is a physio etc.....but thanks for your meaningful input

By *awty MaxWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Genuine help

Thanks in advance

Yup, fuck the medical profession or physiotherapists, I'd ask Fab too. "

There are very clever people on Fab.

Not everyone has a brain that revolves below the belt

Edinburgh

"Genuine help

Thanks in advance"

I feel your pain, same thing happened to me last week doing interval training!

My inner calf is agony!

I have not been resting which is the advice and still running on it but...

Regular... Stretching, ankle and foot rotations will loosen the muscles and the tendons.

Apply arnica cream and massaging does helps. I add peppermint and calendula oil to my arnica.

I massage the area 3 times a day, the more you boost blood flow in the area the better the healing.

I massage and warm up the muscle before my run and stop to stretch and do foot/ankle rotation.

Manage 2, 5k's so far like that .

But I will put some kinesio tape on it for my run tomorrow.

You can YouTube and do it yourself quite easy.

Speedy recovery and hope this helps

"Genuine help

Thanks in advance

My inner calf is agony!

Regular... Stretching, ankle and foot rotations will loosen the muscles and the tendons.

Apply arnica cream and massaging does helps. I add peppermint and calendula oil to my arnica.

I massage the area 3 times a day, the more you boost blood flow in the area the better the healing.

I massage and warm up the muscle before my run and stop to stretch and do foot/ankle rotation.

"

Many thanks. Tried to say thanks pm but out the age range

Arnica....where do i get that? Or just try online?

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

When things are rested they tighten up physiotherapy wull give tou good excersises to loosen the tightness on affected area

Edinburgh

"Genuine help

Thanks in advance

My inner calf is agony!

Arnica....where do i get that? Or just try online?"

You can get it from Boots

Every sportsperson should have that in their kit lol

It helps reduce bruising the visible ones but also micro traumas , invisible ones, of the muscles.

You can't use it if the skin is broken so in that case you can use the homeopathy tablets 30C strength to use orally.

Managed to get sum extra strong cream on amazon but shall check boots

Edinburgh

"Managed to get sum extra strong cream on amazon but shall check boots "

fingers crossed for you

Edinburgh

"Managed to get sum extra strong cream on amazon but shall check boots "

Voltarol 12h is good but I prefer the natural and the kineo tapes

you body changes, muscles tighten when not doing anything from originally very active so you have to rest the injury and the slowly build it up but not just the damaged muscle you have to build other muscles around both legs as the other will compensate.

When going to get advice from a sport therapist, its always to do any checks you can on them to see how good they are and also go to another two therapist. Always best.

had operation on my Achilles so been through shit with it when younger.

good luck bigyin

Appreciated peter

Dave, in my professional medical opinion, I can suggest a quick fix... Amputation below the knee should do the trick

By *ootall2920Man  over a year ago

Linlithgow

Stretching and rolling will help. Compression socks may also help.

If it is your achilies then it will be a slow road to recovery and follow the exercises from the physio.

The old RICE advice is slowly being superceded. I can go in to detail on why, but in short - don't ice it, use it as long as it is not too sore. Keep it mobile as much as possible (stretch etc... but not to the point of pain).

Playing football is going to put it under more stress than steady state running, so make sure it is fully strengthened before returning.

Hope it heals well.

Edinburgh

"Stretching and rolling will help. Compression socks may also help.

If it is your achilies then it will be a slow road to recovery and follow the exercises from the physio.

The old RICE advice is slowly being superceded. I can go in to detail on why, but in short - don't ice it, use it as long as it is not too sore. Keep it mobile as much as possible (stretch etc... but not to the point of pain).

Playing football is going to put it under more stress than steady state running, so make sure it is fully strengthened before returning.

Hope it heals well. "

Ooh! I had forgotten about compression sleeves!

I will pinch my son's ones for tomorrow

I knew there was some clever people on here! Merci

Yep...some helpful people prove all is not lost here on fab haha

By *ompip3Couple  over a year ago

Paisley

I done my calf playing footie in a similar fashion and came back too soon. Best tip I got which i don't think has been mentioned is to massage the calf using a golf ball. Get some oil on your calf and use the hard golf ball to get into the deep tissue which is difficult to reach. It worked a treat. I'll PM you the name of a great physio based in Renfrewshire, who is very reasonable as well!

"Genuine help

Thanks in advance

My inner calf is agony!

Arnica....where do i get that? Or just try online?"

The sad thing is, it takes time to heal and I mean ages, I had similar problem but lower rather than higher on calf, Doctor said I was getting scar tissue and calcium build up on my tendon and this would cause long term pain, I think it took almost a year before it got back to normal

Edinburgh

I think the quicker you are to respond to stiffness and pain the quicker the healing.

You also have to be on the top of it non stop during the day. 3/4 times a day.

I’ve got a recurring problem with my gluteus. Physio helped briefly

I now swear by a foam roller when my muscles are all tight and I’m sore. It’s sore as hell when you first use it but persevere as when the knot gets loosened the relief is fab. There’s various ways of using them and you get instructions for different areas. You get them for about £20

By *andi_CDTV/TS  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Take care with that injury - I did the same running and bit took a fair bit of physio and a visit to a sports injury doctor before I was fit again. 6 months later I tore my Achilles and was out for another 18 months....

"Genuine help

Thanks in advance"

Foam roller - if you can take it. Go get it checked out properly though. I use a freeze gel cream on any injury like that. And the strongest painkiller I can get my hands on.

Bx

I had tendinitis from racing bikes. Doc gave me strong anti inflammatory sand that helped but still took a while

By *uddleanstrokeMan  over a year ago

Bristol / Crete / Glasgow

I did train as masseur (& extra sports injury course + Polarity) ...

But other than keeping moving/ manipulating the most useful thing is to use alternate heat and cold packs as a natural pain-killer. You can get a “sack or toy” that can be heated in the microwave. Alternating with a large bag of frozen peas.

Come see me and my magic box of tricks lol ??

Moonboots are the way ahead, yellow tiger balm if you prefer natural route with hot cold alternative compression, me personally I’ve got a huge prescription list

"Come see me and my magic box of tricks lol ??

Moonboots are the way ahead, yellow tiger balm if you prefer natural route with hot cold alternative compression, me personally I’ve got a huge prescription list "

Gave you a pm thanks

Edinburgh

Did and kept my kinesio tape for 12 hours and did regularly stretching/massaging and the pain is now away. Took a week to sort! Phew!

Rest tomorrow with more massaging during the day and wee run on Monday.

So defo recommending you to find a sport massage therapist that does sport taping if you can do it yourself

Hope you're bit better

Edinburgh

Can't do it yourself *

By *eADevilCouple  over a year ago

Blantyre

Everywhere i touched on my body i got excruciating pain. I was really worried. I went to the hospital and they said i had a broken finger. .

OP they say laughters the best medicine, thought id chuck that in with all your helpful replies. Good luck .

"Did and kept my kinesio tape for 12 hours and did regularly stretching/massaging and the pain is now away. Took a week to sort! Phew!

Rest tomorrow with more massaging during the day and wee run on Monday.

So defo recommending you to find a sport massage therapist that does sport taping if you can do it yourself

Hope you're bit better"

Had the tape etc b4 and it still went. Trying to rest it longer til i next try a run. Got a physio tmoz (mon) and a 2nd opinion for tue nyt.

Think at this rate ill be down a dark alley for roids haha

By *orthseatiger69Man  over a year ago

Ayrshire /North lanarshire

Rest is the best option . I tore left calf muscle years ago and got back running too soon. It always went again as soon as I stared running or walking on uneven surfaces . Have been using compression socks for a year with no pulled calf muscles ....yet .

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

There’s videos to show you how to tape it. I tore my calf muscle 18 months ago. Still not back to normal. Gentle stretches will help. Don’t over do it too early.

Like NawtyMaxx said get a sports Physio that knows what they're doing. May take a long time to heal fully.

» Add a new message to this topic