FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Speeding fines

Speeding fines

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ettercallsaul118 OP   Man  over a year ago

Funtown

Any good lawyers for speeding fines lol 40 in a 30 but no Road sign stating a 30 zone.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ighlander80884Man  over a year ago

Inverness

Doesn't have to be a road sign, were there street lamps?

In the UK Highway Code, a built-up area is a settled area in which the speed limit of a road is automatically 30 mph. These roads are known as 'restricted roads' and are identified by the presence of street lights.

By *dmirationMan  over a year ago

Bathgate

Always 30Mph unless stated otherwise Just pay he fine think how many times you have got away with speeding

By *r and Mrs SnogalotCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

The no road sign argument very rarely works as all roads are generally taken as being 30 unless otherwise displaying the actual speed limit. Unless your on 9 points and this one will take you into a ban just pay it and have it on your license for he next 5 years

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The no road sign argument very rarely works as all roads are generally taken as being 30 unless otherwise displaying the actual speed limit. Unless your on 9 points and this one will take you into a ban just pay it and have it on your license for he next 5 years "

Yup you shouldnt be speeding you might hit something...like a ferret

By *r Costa xxMan  over a year ago

stirling

You could always go to court and plead that you were on your way to meet a fabber, judge might be a fellow user and dismiss for a verification

By *litter and GrumpCouple  over a year ago

glasgow

Think the above advice of take the fine is wise yes a lot of places getting bad for poor or no signage but as others have said take it as 30 zone unless signs says otherwise

"You could always go to court and plead that you were on your way to meet a fabber, judge might be a fellow user and dismiss for a verification "

Take a Pampas Grass with, to be sure.

glasgow

"You could always go to court and plead that you were on your way to meet a fabber, judge might be a fellow user and dismiss for a verification

Take a Pampas Grass with, to be sure."

And bowl for your keys of course lol

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Make google your friend for traffic lawyers but I would suggest it would be waaay more expensive for a lawyer

The speed limit is always displayed on the lampposts be it 40,50 or National speed limit if there isn't one then it's a 30mph zone.

glasgow

"The speed limit is always displayed on the lampposts be it 40,50 or National speed limit if there isn't one then it's a 30mph zone."

Yes unless it's overgrown has been vandalised or any other reasons have seen a few poorly sign posted areas especially if you turn onto a road etc

By *illnatMan  over a year ago

wherever i need to be

As above. If it's lit with street lights assume 30'unless there are signs highlighting otherwise. You will only have 30 mph signs on the entrance to the zone. Occasionally there may be roundalls in the road surface but you don't need lamp post signs by law.

Hopefully I won't get a forum ban for this (public service after all) but check this link and it'll give you all the information you need. http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/speed_markings.html

By *r Costa xxMan  over a year ago

stirling

In the UK Highway Code, a built-up area is a settled area in which the speed limit of a road is automatically 30 mph (48 km/h). These roads are known as 'restricted roads' and are identified by the presence of street lights.

By *ikerbob1957Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

were you caught by a camera or uniformed officers?

If it's a camera it's tough shit. I've been done for the bus lane thing in Ggow and never saw the signage, ignorance isn't a get out clause.

If it was coppers in a car or roadside....Again it's tough poo, even less chance

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

If it's a camera can request photos and then deny it's you or a speeding gun can be disproven depending on the type and placement. Saying that if you were 40 in 30 a 33% margin of error is unlikely plus it sounds as if you already admitted it

Paying is less hassle and that's what the government wants

Take it to court this is why fines get handed out all the time coz we just accept it and pay it. You have the right to have your day in court this happend to me last year I took it to court and won my case. The sing was covered by trees there where no signs to say that it was speed camera area after my case new signs where put up and police speed camera sign where also put out. Good luck on fighting the higher power.

Shame you never got done just south of the border as I was done at 50 in a 40 and got the option of a speed awareness course at £84 and they bin the points and no fine so well worth the 4 hour course to keep the points off your license--mind you I did have about 6 cups of coffee at the break to try and get my money's worth!

"Shame you never got done just south of the border as I was done at 50 in a 40 and got the option of a speed awareness course at £84 and they bin the points and no fine so well worth the 4 hour course to keep the points off your license--mind you I did have about 6 cups of coffee at the break to try and get my money's worth! "

you got your money's worth : - no points on license

Funtown

Thanks very one for the advice. After digging a bit deeper into the road. The speed limit was 40mph but in the past 3 months the road was reclassified as a 30 due to heavy goods vehicles. So you come from a 40mph to a 30mph then back into a 40mph new signage has just been put in place. Also it was a mobile unit. It has is on lay-by are for setting up but it choose to set up 300 yards before the lay-by so might be grounds for appeal on the fine. Also they did not have any signage displayed before them. ?

glasgow

Sounds like grounds but don't hold your breath tbh

Funtown

I was thinking the same thing

By *ero StressMan  over a year ago

Scotland

"Thanks very one for the advice. After digging a bit deeper into the road. The speed limit was 40mph but in the past 3 months the road was reclassified as a 30 due to heavy goods vehicles. So you come from a 40mph to a 30mph then back into a 40mph new signage has just been put in place. Also it was a mobile unit. It has is on lay-by are for setting up but it choose to set up 300 yards before the lay-by so might be grounds for appeal on the fine. Also they did not have any signage displayed before them. ? "

The mobile unit dusnt need signs to state they r there as they are road safety unit

By *rystal Tipps - AlistairCouple  over a year ago

livingston

Some police forces across the uk are doing away with the speed limit + 10% + 2mph in favour of anything over and you done, bit like the drink driving limit.

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

I was also stooped a while back the traffic police were behind me and I was bang on 40 they pulled me over and asked what the speed limit was I said 40 and the cop said if it was 40 it would have been on every 3rd lampost there were no houses and I gen thought it was 40 and said so to the cop I also said no excuses if it's 30 fair enough and he said I believe you thought it really was 40 and he let me of, not many would do that.

Legal advice? On fabswingers? Really? x

When I first did my learning for my licence (waaaaaaaaaank back in 1999 lol) we were told to in the absence of speed limit signs, always assume the limit is 30. My advice would be take the hit and pay the fine. Taking it further may end up with the court making an example of you and ending up with worse

By *edLionScotMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

OP, A court will take the view that if you were new to the area, and didn't know that it had been a 40, then you would be expected to vary your speed to the posted limit.

It may be worth checking that your the pics of your speed was in the 30 zone. However, they tend not make mistakes.

Also check that the stretch of road with the new 30 has been officially recorded as a 30.

There was a stretch of road in Edinburgh where signs had been up for years, but was not officially recorded.

I do think that you're unlikely to avoid this one. Sorry!

the traffic law expert

google it

will cost you but they will get you off a camara van got me doing 73 in a 50 limit for car was 60

not my usual van and didnt realise the speed.

it never went to trial i still have my clean licence due to the camara unit not following the rules correctly .

did cost £2000 +vat.

saved my £5000 in insurance hikes .

good luck

» Add a new message to this topic