FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Slow cooking ....

Slow cooking ....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1 OP   Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

I just adore cooking but gotta say Im loving my slow cooker just now and tonight Ive just had slow cooked smoked paprika chicken and chorizo pasta .

Also made bread for the first time in mine last week and it was yummy .

so for all you who have a slow cooker whats your favourite dish and will you share the recipes here please

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ussymufferMan  over a year ago

Lanarkshire

I have used a slow cooker for years I make stews stovies and use it for beef pork and chicken

By *uperboabyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

By slow cooking I thought you meant foreplay

By *dlilbumCouple  over a year ago

Aviemore and regularly visit Glasgow

I love my slow cooker! Made amazing lamb shanks in it a wee while back, also regularly make stroganoff, and various stews. . Driving to France for a skiing holiday next month and the most exciting thing about driving there is being able to take the slow cooker with us! Awesome food ready for when we get off the slopes at the end of the day!

D x

"I love my slow cooker! Made amazing lamb shanks in it a wee while back, also regularly make stroganoff, and various stews. . Driving to France for a skiing holiday next month and the most exciting thing about driving there is being able to take the slow cooker with us! Awesome food ready for when we get off the slopes at the end of the day!

D x"

Thats what I love about it just put it on going to work and the smell as you walk through the door to a nice hot meal at the end of the day is lovely ...enjoy your trip xx

"By slow cooking I thought you meant foreplay "
hahahaha could apply to that too

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ive had mine 2 years endless dishes it absolute amazes me everytime ive had roasts stews homemade soup i bought a second one for my caravan

Must admit I prefer to cook whatever Im cooking the day before I think the flavours just intensify

By *976scottMan  over a year ago

North Lanarkshire

I make my bourbon pulled pork in my slow cooker! Mmmmmm

Making me hungry just thinking about it!

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

[Removed by poster at 06/02/16 18:58:16]

"I make my bourbon pulled pork in my slow cooker! Mmmmmm

Making me hungry just thinking about it!"

Pulled pork was the first thing I cooked in mine ...no smutty jokes

Falkirk

Its a fantastic way to cook some curries too. Instead of using chicken breast, use thighs and put it in a slow cooker. Amazing flavour.

Lamb shanks are always best in a slow cooker - the meat just falls off the bones.

Also stews, or diced beef in gravy with chopped onion. Simple but gorgeous from a slow cooker.

Never tried bread though.....

"[Removed by poster at 06/02/16 18:58:16]"
1/2 cup warm water

2 cups of warm milk

2 Tbsp melted UNSALTED butter

1-3 tablespoons of sugar (add more if you like sweeter bread)

3 tablespoons of active dry yeast (conservative side)

6 cups of whole wheat flour (or 3 cups whole wheat & 3 cups all-purpose flour)

2 teaspoons of salt

1 teaspoon of baking powder

Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 (or more) tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of yeast. Wait for 5 minutes (no longer - mine went all over the place the first time!) – it should be frothy on the top. While your waiting warm 2 cups of milk and 2 Tbsp of butter in microwave.

Next, add milk and butter to yeast mixture. Using a standing mixer slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Mix and knead the dough. (I used dough hook once I had incorporated most of the flour for about 5 minutes then kneaded by hand for another 5-7 minutes.)

Line your slow cooker with cooking (baking) paper and place in your round ball of dough. I will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through. Cook on High power for 2- 2.5 hours. Start checking at every 7-10 minutes until top is sponge-y but springs back and no moisture on the top. The bottom should be a nice brown colour as well as sides. I put mine (just the loaf) in the oven on broil/grill for less than 5 minutes to get a nice crusty top too!

NOTE: You can use a tea towel on top if you want to avoid condensation dripping in down on the loaf. I haven't tried this myself - let me know how you go!

*Use UNSALTED butter or adjust extra salt added!

*Add MORE sugar if you want a sweet bread like in the shops.

*If you can't or are not skilled/practiced at kneading try the 50:50 ratio with whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, otherwise you will end up with a very dense loaf.

*Make sure it is completely cooked through - my loaf took 2 1/2 hours!!

Slice and enjoy as whole grain toast or sandwich bread!

By *dlilbumCouple  over a year ago

Aviemore and regularly visit Glasgow

That sounds quality! Gie us the recipe!! Haha.

Falkirk

"[Removed by poster at 06/02/16 18:58:16]1/2 cup warm water

2 cups of warm milk

2 teaspoons of salt

Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 (or more) tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of yeast. Wait for 5 minutes (no longer - mine went all over the place the first time!) – it should be frothy on the top. While your waiting warm 2 cups of milk and 2 Tbsp of butter in microwave.

Next, add milk and butter to yeast mixture. Using a standing mixer slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Mix and knead the dough. (I used dough hook once I had incorporated most of the flour for about 5 minutes then kneaded by hand for another 5-7 minutes.)

Line your slow cooker with cooking (baking) paper and place in your round ball of dough. I will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through. Cook on High power for 2- 2.5 hours. Start checking at every 7-10 minutes until top is sponge-y but springs back and no moisture on the top. The bottom should be a nice brown colour as well as sides. I put mine (just the loaf) in the oven on broil/grill for less than 5 minutes to get a nice crusty top too!

NOTE: You can use a tea towel on top if you want to avoid condensation dripping in down on the loaf. I haven't tried this myself - let me know how you go!

*If you can't or are not skilled/practiced at kneading try the 50:50 ratio with whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, otherwise you will end up with a very dense loaf.

Slice and enjoy as whole grain toast or sandwich bread!"

Saved - Thankyou X

I've made bread before - badly lol. But just never used a slow cooker. Will definitely have to try this one day with the kids. They'll love giving it a go

2 cups of warm milk

2 teaspoons of salt

Saved - Thankyou X

I've made bread before - badly lol. But just never used a slow cooker. Will definitely have to try this one day with the kids. They'll love giving it a go "

It turned out well Andy was even crips too ..but a wee tip is put a few layers of kitchen paper on top before putting the lid on to stop the condensation ...top of mine was still soft tho so i popped it in the oven for ten mins to crisp the top xxx

Falkirk

Thanks miss D. I'll bear that in mind.

Like I say, I've done bread the old fashioned way but I'm rubbish at it lol

"Thanks miss D. I'll bear that in mind.

Like I say, I've done bread the old fashioned way but I'm rubbish at it lol"

I make homemade bread all the time ....need to teach you lol

By *ouise and jamieCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

love making pulled pork using cola in the slow cooker its awesome

Slow cooking... Is that not like waiting with anticipation for that hot meet? If so we've got one or two in our slow cooker.

By *irtyGirlWoman  over a year ago

Edinburgh

If you like tomato and basil soup, do a search for the Chunky Chef recipe for the slow cooker.

I've made it every weekend for the last three... lunch every day. I can't decide if I'm going to scunner myself or turn into a tomato!

It's utterly delish!

"If you like tomato and basil soup, do a search for the Chunky Chef recipe for the slow cooker.

I've made it every weekend for the last three... lunch every day. I can't decide if I'm going to scunner myself or turn into a tomato!

It's utterly delish! "

Thanks will have a wee look ...ive never done soup in mine yet xxx

Edinburgh

"If you like tomato and basil soup, do a search for the Chunky Chef recipe for the slow cooker.

It's utterly delish! Thanks will have a wee look ...ive never done soup in mine yet xxx "

You can pretty much chuck anything in for soup but the tomato and basil is my favourite.

It's utterly delish! Thanks will have a wee look ...ive never done soup in mine yet xxx

You can pretty much chuck anything in for soup but the tomato and basil is my favourite. "

Think the reason ive never done soup in it is because its not big enough ..my family love soup especially in the winter and i cook mine in my grannys old soup pot which is huge lol xxx

Edinburgh

It's utterly delish! Thanks will have a wee look ...ive never done soup in mine yet xxx

You can pretty much chuck anything in for soup but the tomato and basil is my favourite.

Think the reason ive never done soup in it is because its not big enough ..my family love soup especially in the winter and i cook mine in my grannys old soup pot which is huge lol xxx "

Ah yes... coincidentally I have my Granny's soup pot too. I think my slow cooker is a 5.5 litre and it does me five lunches and some for the freezer.

Think the reason ive never done soup in it is because its not big enough ..my family love soup especially in the winter and i cook mine in my grannys old soup pot which is huge lol xxx

Ah yes... coincidentally I have my Granny's soup pot too. I think my slow cooker is a 5.5 litre and it does me five lunches and some for the freezer. "

By *atex and KinkCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Miss kink does a mean sailor jerry bbq pulled pork, oh yeah....

Slow Cooker Meals are Awesome ..

Gammon Joint cooked in Mixed Fruit..

By *dluv2Man  over a year ago

glasgow

Am stealing that bread recipe too didn't even know you could do that in a slow cooker

"Am stealing that bread recipe too didn't even know you could do that in a slow cooker "
give it a try it was nice ...as far as i know you can cook almost anything in a slow cooker

glasgow

They say that but your talking to a guy who can mess a pot noodle up, but am giving the bread a bash

"They say that but your talking to a guy who can mess a pot noodle up, but am giving the bread a bash "
lets know how you get on xx

Love using mine for making chilli. Once made gammon joint soaked in cola. Was fab but ended up just slicing it and eating it by itself

glasgow

I will keep you posted, you've put me right in the mood for fresh bread and homemade soup now god I hope it works out

"I will keep you posted, you've put me right in the mood for fresh bread and homemade soup now god I hope it works out "

May The Force Be Wirth You

FFS

"I will keep you posted, you've put me right in the mood for fresh bread and homemade soup now god I hope it works out

May The Force Be Wirth You

FFS"

lmao

"I will keep you posted, you've put me right in the mood for fresh bread and homemade soup now god I hope it works out "
can I come for sunday lunch ?

glasgow

Did you actually read the bit about me being able to mess a pot noodle up!! think we better do Sunday lunch at yours lol

"Did you actually read the bit about me being able to mess a pot noodle up!! think we better do Sunday lunch at yours lol "
you never heard the expression many hands make light work?

By *p4funduoCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

chilli. stew. soup. would not have done pasta perhaps as it don't take long but love my slow cooker also x

glasgow

Ha ha you tease!! be a good challenge though, making homemade soup and bread naked lol

"Ha ha you tease!! be a good challenge though, making homemade soup and bread naked lol "

"chilli. stew. soup. would not have done pasta perhaps as it don't take long but love my slow cooker also x"
I didnt cook pasta in the slow cooker just the main components then added the pasta at the end lol

Lab Breast joints...

Horribly fatty done any other way, but done in the slow cooker you end up with very, very tasty, melt in the mouth and extremely cheap roast

Hone made beef olives slow cooked with a red wine reduction that is amazing

How safe are they to leave cooking unattended?

"How safe are they to leave cooking unattended?"

Really safe. Nearly every day before work I set mine and never had a problem with them

"How safe are they to leave cooking unattended?"
I put mine on when I go to work and never had a problem

Falkirk

Do a gammon joint with brown sugar, orange, cider and studded with cloves. It's delicious

"Do a gammon joint with brown sugar, orange, cider and studded with cloves. It's delicious "
sounds yummy

By *ensual temptressWoman  over a year ago

Southampton

Don't k ow about slow cooking but I'm definitely a fan of being casseroled .......to be done slowly over a number of hours

Falkirk

"Don't k ow about slow cooking but I'm definitely a fan of being casseroled .......to be done slowly over a number of hours "

Why am I not surprised?

"Don't k ow about slow cooking but I'm definitely a fan of being casseroled .......to be done slowly over a number of hours "
ain't we all sweetie

Southampton

"Don't k ow about slow cooking but I'm definitely a fan of being casseroled .......to be done slowly over a number of hours

Why am I not surprised? "

Why rush life's pleasures hehe!!x

Southampton

"Don't k ow about slow cooking but I'm definitely a fan of being casseroled .......to be done slowly over a number of hours ain't we all sweetie "

Far better than microwave sex ... done in 60 seconds or less pmsl!!!

Hey for someone who avoids cooking like the plague I'm shocked at all the cooking terms I know!! Bunks clearly brainwashing me !! Help!!!!!! Lol x

"Don't k ow about slow cooking but I'm definitely a fan of being casseroled .......to be done slowly over a number of hours ain't we all sweetie

Hey for someone who avoids cooking like the plague I'm shocked at all the cooking terms I know!! Bunks clearly brainwashing me !! Help!!!!!! Lol x"

lol

Falkirk

"Don't k ow about slow cooking but I'm definitely a fan of being casseroled .......to be done slowly over a number of hours ain't we all sweetie

Hey for someone who avoids cooking like the plague I'm shocked at all the cooking terms I know!! Bunks clearly brainwashing me !! Help!!!!!! Lol x"

Loubitins

You're welcome

By *arried adventurers!Couple  over a year ago

North Lanarkshire

Mozzarella stuffed meatballs are my current slow cooker favourite! Yummy!

"Mozzarella stuffed meatballs are my current slow cooker favourite! Yummy! "
oh I've made these too they are yummy

Who do I need to bribe for some more recipes?

Had a slow cooker for 2 years and it's never been on.

My ex made a few curries with it that were outstanding but I didn't bother paying attention to it being used. Regretting that now.

Southampton

Hey for someone who avoids cooking like the plague I'm shocked at all the cooking terms I know!! Bunks clearly brainwashing me !! Help!!!!!! Lol x

Loubitins

You're welcome "

Ohhhhh shoooes !

"I love my slow cooker! Made amazing lamb shanks in it a wee while back, also regularly make stroganoff, and various stews. . Driving to France for a skiing holiday next month and the most exciting thing about driving there is being able to take the slow cooker with us! Awesome food ready for when we get off the slopes at the end of the day!

D x"

Food when you get off the slopes?

It's drink until about 10pm after the slopes lol

2 cups of warm milk

2 teaspoons of salt

Saved - Thankyou X

I've made bread before - badly lol. But just never used a slow cooker. Will definitely have to try this one day with the kids. They'll love giving it a go It turned out well Andy was even crips too ..but a wee tip is put a few layers of kitchen paper on top before putting the lid on to stop the condensation ...top of mine was still soft tho so i popped it in the oven for ten mins to crisp the top xxx "

When cooking where stem will collect, use a tea towel or some cloth, tie it up around the handle with a band. Useful for when cooking cakes or puddings.

» Add a new message to this topic