FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > i love the origin of sayings n rhymes so feel free to add

i love the origin of sayings n rhymes so feel free to add

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oe bloggs69 OP   Man  over a year ago

fife

Here's one to start BACK TO SQUARE ONE from the days footy was only on radio n every player had a numbered square n when ball was passed bk to goalkeeper, it was bk to square one

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

Pretty sure back to square one was in use long before radio think it was hopscotch it originally comes from

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Ring a ring of roses pocket full of posies , a tichoo a tichoo we all fall down !!!! nice nursery rhyme all about plague !!!

By *laymisty4meWoman  over a year ago

fife

I think that's general idea of thread is to find out the real definition of sayings words and rhymes

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

"Ring a ring of roses pocket full of posies , a tichoo a tichoo we all fall down !!!! nice nursery rhyme all about plague !!!"

Pretty sure I heard somewhere that there is no evidence this was actually about plague - although it sounds plausible

OK here you go if interested...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_a_Ring_o%27_Roses

By *ary_ArgyllMan  over a year ago

Argyll

Plenty of navy related sayings

Towing the line

Balls off a brass monkey

No room to swing a cat

etc.

By *uvhandleMan  over a year ago

Huntly

how about.....never cast a cloot till the month o may be oot....one o ma grandas favourates, meaning never go swimming till may is past, in the sea that is.....not that anyone does that anymore without a wetsuit!

Up here near cast a cloote til Mays out,

But does it mean the month of May or the May flower

By *ustforalaugh1Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

One for the road!

Outside the jailhouse at the start of the walk to the gallows, there was a pub.

It became traditional for the landlord to give the convicted prisoners one last drink before they started the long walk along the road to the gallows.

This last drink became known as "one for the road"

"how about.....never cast a cloot till the month o may be oot....one o ma grandas favourates, meaning never go swimming till may is past, in the sea that is.....not that anyone does that anymore without a wetsuit!"

My papa always told us that meant don't go out without a coat til may was out dusnt matter how sunny it was lol

Sure I read this before on a similar thread,but for those who didn't know..............

Giving the two fingered salute.....the v's....fuck off in sign language or whatever you call it,originates from the days archers were still used to fight battles.

If an enemy archer was captured they'd have the 1st two fingers of whichever hand they used to draw the bow with cut off.

So it was first used as a show of defiance on the battlefield by archers to show the enemy they could still draw their bowstrings!

All that time watching documentaries wasn't wasted after all lol

Humpty Dumpty was a cannon

By *ocknrollerMan  over a year ago

the sticks

break neck speed

I think comes from vintage bicycles like the penny farthing. The larger the front wheel (drive wheel) the faster the top speed, but the larger the wheel the higher from the ground you were. So further to fall, and you break your neck lol.

» Add a new message to this topic