FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > What is it about seeing a cyclist that makes some motorists drive like right fucking bellends?

What is it about seeing a cyclist that makes some motorists drive like right fucking bellends?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Coming up to the Haudagain from the A96 side, middle lane to turn right as always and I should be doing (well lit, high vis on, and showing I'm turning right for about 50 metres before hand). Some ****ing **** comes up in the right hand lane, and as I start to turn right cuts me off to go straight ahead.

Threw my hand up and could hear the bastard shouting abuse at me as he went down the road.

Closest I've ever come to an accident, absolutely shit myself :/ Please motorists will you *try* and have some thought for cyclists. We're a lot more squishy than you.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Please cyclists obey by the highway code and stop thinking you rule the road. Cyclists in Edinburgh are maniacs!

By *landAnnCouple  over a year ago

Inverness

What is it about cyclists that makes most of them behave like bellends..?

What makes them think its ok to cycle straight through a red light..?

What makes them think its ok to cycle on the pavement..?

What makes them think its ok to cycle the wrong way along a 1 way street..?

What makes them think its ok to ignore a No Entry sign..?

What makes them think its ok to cycle over a pedestrian footbridge which has signs at both ends clearly saying 'No Cycling'...?

Cyclists should be made to register and insure their bikes.... if they want to be treated equally as road users then other road users should be able to report them when they cycle through red lights etc,...

By *ortland51Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Not all cyclists are the same.

There are good and bad cyclists, just as there are good and bad drivers.

Everyone needs to be as respectful as each other.

"What is it about cyclists that makes most of them behave like bellends..?

What makes them think its ok to cycle over a pedestrian footbridge which has signs at both ends clearly saying 'No Cycling'...?

Cyclists should be made to register and insure their bikes.... if they want to be treated equally as road users then other road users should be able to report them when they cycle through red lights etc,..."

By *3rial Thr1LL3rMan  over a year ago

aberdeenshire

Maybe if cyclists didn't cycle like utter bell ends the motorist may show them a bit more courtesy/respect. I nearly flattened one yesterday cycling in the middle of the road on the other side of a corner. If I didn't have 6pot brembos he'd have been a shitty coloured hood ornament.

Highway Code was written for a reason.

Cyclists don't seem to be aware that it applies to them too

That said so many car drivers pass their test and then forget what they've learned . Be more aware of Bikes both motorised and pedal powered

By *ifornowCouple  over a year ago

Skegness

Cyclists should be made to register and insure their bikes.... if they want to be treated equally as road users then other road users should be able to report them when they cycle through red lights etc,..."

"Please cyclists obey by the highway code and stop thinking you rule the road. Cyclists in Edinburgh are maniacs! "

"Maybe if cyclists didn't cycle like utter bell ends the motorist may show them a bit more courtesy/respect. I nearly flattened one yesterday cycling in the middle of the road on the other side of a corner. If I didn't have 6pot brembos he'd have been a shitty coloured hood ornament."

Start paying road tax and then I'll respect them. When they start cycling side by side rather than single file, I get annoyed.

No one has paid road tax in the UK since the 30s. Cyclists are allowed to ride side by side unless unduly impeding traffic though its often safer on back roads.

I have seen many cyclists misbehave, but that argument doesnt allow you to try and run someone off the road because some other completely random person misbehaved.

"No one has paid road tax in the UK since the 30s. Cyclists are allowed to ride side by side unless unduly impeding traffic though its often safer on back roads.

I have seen many cyclists misbehave, but that argument doesnt allow you to try and run someone off the road because some other completely random person misbehaved. "

No one has paid road tax since the 30s? So what is that tax disc in my car all about then? End of the day, cyclists think they own the road, and they should make way when they are causing problems.

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

That would be "car tax". Tax on having a car. The upkeep of the roads is paid through all means of tax (VAT, NI etc.)

aberdeenshire

"That would be "car tax". Tax on having a car. The upkeep of the roads is paid through all means of tax (VAT, NI etc.)"

Is it fuck, you've seen the roads up here

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

"That would be "car tax". Tax on having a car. The upkeep of the roads is paid through all means of tax (VAT, NI etc.)"

I'm pretty sure it's still called road fund duty

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Unfortunately there are good and bad on both sides of this argument. As someone who drives a lot of miles every year and holds a professional license it still baffles me when I see bad examples of driving and cycling.

A little more patience and thought would go a long way to stop most of the altercations.

But it has to be from BOTH sides

By *horstrollMan  over a year ago

Caprona

Cyclists need considerate drivers, no matter the speed of the vehicle a cyclist will be injure worse. No matter the lights plus safety clothing cars will still mallet the rider.

By *ay2571Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"Start paying road tax and then I'll respect them. When they start cycling side by side rather than single file, I get annoyed."

I do pay tax as I have a car as well.

As some one who cycles about 6k miles a year I would say you have idiots on both sides. I do think though the cyclist are generally getting better than they were a few years ago. But that's probably because they are more experienced and realise that if you ride line a prick your likely to get run over!

Drivers need to get some patience. Being stuck behind a cyclist for a minute isn't going to ruin your day.

I've been knocked of my bike 3 times. Once by a fellow cyclist and twice by cars read into that what you will.

This is why I use cycle paths

then all I need to worry about is knocking down pedestrians and running over small dogs

aberdeenshire

"

I've been knocked of my bike 3 times. Once by a fellow cyclist and twice by cars read into that what you will. "

That even fellow cyclists think you're a cunt? Sorry, kidding

It's vehicle excise duty..

and by the 'I pay' argument, then most cars should get out my way as mine is in the top bracket, and all those eco friendly cars who pay zero VED shouldn't be on the road?

The vast majority of cyclists and drivers are fine together, but it doesn't take much from either side to hospitalise a cyclist.

By *ikchattyfellahMan  over a year ago

Greenock

"

That even fellow cyclists think you're a cunt? Sorry, kidding "

Pmsl!!!!

By *ay2571Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"

I've been knocked of my bike 3 times. Once by a fellow cyclist and twice by cars read into that what you will.

That even fellow cyclists think you're a cunt? Sorry, kidding "

I fell of my bike the other week without anyone's else's help. So even I must think I'm a cunt

aberdeenshire

"

That even fellow cyclists think you're a cunt? Sorry, kidding

I fell of my bike the other week without anyone's else's help. So even I must think I'm a cunt "

"This is why I use cycle paths

then all I need to worry about is knocking down pedestrians and running over small dogs"

Oi...pedestrians are fair game but you watch those wee doggies!!!!

In my time I've driven cars, bikes and HGVs, and I think you have to have driven something other than a car to appreciate what utter cunts some people become when cocooned in their warm little safety shell.

For example, I cycled 15 miles along the A9 yesterday afternoon and lost count of the people who believe it acceptable to squeeze past me with a few inches to spare rather than wait for a few seconds for a gap. Seemingly unaware that a gust of wind the wrong way could put me under their wheels or into the verge. So to protect myself I cycled further out into the lane, so that they really have to risk pranging their shiny penises. Which of course pisses them off more, but protects me a bit better from their assorted bastardry.

In the school term I regularly have to be on the look out for mummy and daddy picking up their hellspawn from outside a school in a fucking great earthmover. Particularly if they are running a bit late and using their eyes becomes optional.

What car drivers seem to forget is that no matter how well or badly a cyclist behaves, he's always going to come off worse in a crash. And if he's had that accident because he's been an arse and gone through a red light then fuck him/her, natural selection at work. But if it's because you're driving like Stevie Wonder then you can carry that on your conscience.

I've seen cyclists go through red lights, but not very often, I've seen far more cars run though as they've only just turned so it's still OK! I've encountered cyclists on pavements and had something to say, ditto a one way street. And as they are on a bike they've at the very least had to listen to me. But in a car you just drive off no matter how much of a wanker you've been, and probably do the same thing a few miles later.

And car tax is on the emissions of your vehicle. The state of the roads is down to general taxation, which is why their in a shit state as there is no money to fix them. I fucking love that argument from drivers, particularly when they say they're not ignorant bastards!

By *ustforalaugh1Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Couldn't agree more!

I always respect cyclists on the road. Wide berth, extra space etc. Only to be cut up by him at the next set of lights as he jumps them on red!

Infuriating!

Cyclists that jump red lights really rip my knitting. If you want to use the road and be respected road users then respect the Highway Code. Also decide if you are a road user or pedestrian please. Don't use your bike when crossing at the green man for example. Get off the bike and walk or wait like normal road users.

Can't have it both ways. Car users pay the tax, you use it for free so respect us too. Not the first time I've had a bike scrape my car on the way past squeezing though a gap that isn't there!

To be fair, most of the arseholes I've encountered on the road, have all been driving cars.

Once again, your car tax gives you no more entitlement to be on the road than anyone else.

Cyclists should be taxed, insured and have a bike MOT if you like. Also should be made to take the theory part of the Highway Code and obtain a cycling proficiency test pass. Then maybe they would be a bit more careful and respectful. What happens when my car gets scraped by a cyclist? Can I claim their insurance?

Well said Mr Hamish,

Yes some cyclists are bell ends but so to are many motorists.

Cycles cause no wear whatsoever to our road surfaces btw but yes I agree they need to adhere to the rules.

I am a cyclist, motorcyclist and car driver and have nearly been wiped out many's the time. I have seen someone under the wheels of a vehicle and can assure you no matter what some numpty might have done to cause a few seconds delay to someone's very important day; No one deserves that to happen.

Those ranting at cyclists from their ivory towers should take a wee loan of a bike for a couple of days and see how they handle it.

I bike on average 80-120 miles a week so feel I know what I'm talking about....

[Removed by poster at 30/07/14 18:54:12]

"Cyclists should be taxed, insured and have a bike MOT if you like. Also should be made to take the theory part of the Highway Code and obtain a cycling proficiency test pass. Then maybe they would be a bit more careful and respectful. What happens when my car gets scraped by a cyclist? Can I claim their insurance?"

The police cant keep up with all the uninsured and unMOTd car drivers ; however if someone scraped your car you would see if they had insurance, if not seek the costs direct; if they don't stump up it would be small claims court I would imagine.

By *ustforalaugh1Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Cyclists that jump red lights really rip my knitting. If you want to use the road and be respected road users then respect the Highway Code. Also decide if you are a road user or pedestrian please. Don't use your bike when crossing at the green man for example. Get off the bike and walk or wait like normal road users.

Can't have it both ways. Car users pay the tax, you use it for free so respect us too. Not the first time I've had a bike scrape my car on the way past squeezing though a gap that isn't there!"

By *hmed7894Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

I just yesterday was gonna run one over on purpose you can't just start riding in the middle of the road because u see a fast car coming up behind you !

"Cyclists should be taxed, insured and have a bike MOT if you like. Also should be made to take the theory part of the Highway Code and obtain a cycling proficiency test pass. Then maybe they would be a bit more careful and respectful. What happens when my car gets scraped by a cyclist? Can I claim their insurance?"

Are you to suggest horses should be taxed as well? Why should they/we have to go through all that bollocks? Would it make us be treated any better on the roads? Would it fuck. Does it make any car driver behave better on the roads because if it? Does it fuck. And it'd be the same for they way cyclists behave.

The fact of the matter is there are way more cars than bikes, and therefore more car wankers on the road than cyclists.

By *ifes journeyCouple  over a year ago

scotland

I realise that cyclists are more vulnerable on the roads but how can it be justified to ride in the middle of the carriageway?

Granted if its a quite road and any vehicles coming up behind can easily overtake but what happens when its a busy road and no way of overtaking as there is too much traffic around?

Lost count the number of times I've seen queues of traffic, 20 or so cars deep waiting to pass a cyclist? Cycling is supposed to be environmentally friendly.... How can holding up 20 or more cars be helping the environment?

On the A70 South of the Hyndford bridge there is a cycle lane up the hill for a mile or so.

Not a cycle lane split from the main road with a white line, but a dedicated lane, with a meter of grass between it and the road.

So where does Mr Cyclist with his professional looking bike, sponsored type Lycra on decide to ride? On the cycle path that probably cost tens of thousands to build to protect him from cars and the coal wagons going by?

Oh no, he was on the main road.... Uphill doing 2.1 mph his legs going ten to the dozen..... Had three tipper wagons and six or seven cars in the queue waiting to get by.... The tipper wagons finding it difficult to get the acceleration up the hill.

Just like the op's criticism of the car driver.... I hope this example of a cyclist acting like a moron are just isolated incidents.

Personally the more cyclists the better for me.... The more cars off the road the easier it is to drive, so I do try and make room for them.... But for goodness sake, think about your riding and don't just play the vulnerable card all the time.... We are all responsible for each other's as well as our own safety.

I'll cycle in the middle of the lane if I've been cut up or squashed to the gutter by one too many impatient bastards.

It forces them to slow down and look for a proper gap, then they have to pass wide rather than pass so close I can touch them.

By *he feckersCouple  over a year ago

rosyth

i personally hate the cycling clubs that think it is ok to take up the whole road causing tailbacksa mile long because they are riding 3 and 4 abreast the highway code specifies two abreast is ok unless its a busy or narrow road I also hate car drivers that cut me up etc when i am on my motorbike seems to be a weekly and sometimes daily occurrence these days that some fuckwit trys to kill me so to sum up good and bad out there easy solution fuck up the bad ones get them off the road lol

By *rnycpl2705Couple  over a year ago

Killin

I work on the roads and I see cyclists and drivers behaving like muppets. The latest example of cyclists being muppets went like this....

Whilst working on a site using a convoy system we had one lane closed as it was getting relaid with tar, 2 cyclists decide that, instead of waiting at the lights, they would cycle down the closed lane. Work was ongoing on that side of the road, road rollers were working and tar was getting laid, so machinery was involved and hot tar is usually 130+oC so they endangered their own lives....when I pulled them up and told them they had broken the law by going through a red light they told me I was wrong and they could cycle through if they wanted. These people are just as bad as the drivers that think it's ok to race through lights at 50/60 mph while there are workers on the road, or the drivers that ignore stop/go boards cos they can see that it's clear.

So what you're saying is, poor behaviour by cyclists is relatively rare. Must be if you can remember the most specific instance. Yet poor behaviour by motorists is so commonplace that it ceases to be worthy of an anecdote?

By *ompip3Couple  over a year ago

Paisley

Would this be the wrong place to ask if any Fabber's are heading to the Team Time trials today, OR the Commonwealth Cycling Road Race on Sunday??

By *ch WellMan  over a year ago

Scotland

Ive been driving for about 25 years and taken up cycling earlier this year so id say Im in a decent position to judge and my judgement is that Ive seen far worse behaviour towards cyclists than by cyclists. Have to say the vast majority of motorists are extremely courteous and becoming more so as cyclng becomes even more popular but there are still too many who dont give cyclists any space as they pass them and still turn in front of oncoming cyclists.

I often hear and read about the complaint that cyclists dont stop at red lights. Personally i always stop and of course everyone should stop but I think the complaining drivers are jealous they cant just go through aswell

But I see many motorists go through red lights. It's so commonplace as to almost be normal behaviour. The light changes to red and they think "that's OK, it's only just changed. I've a few seconds before the other light turns green".

Watch next time you're sat at lights. You can tell the ones that have done it. They're either tailgating the car in front or are going unusually fast for a set of lights.

Always be aware of everything around you don't take the highway code for granted not everyone follows the rules unfortunately.

So to conclude everyone on the road is a bellend ? That seems to be the consensus on the above. Maybe we all need to stop and give each other a hug. I'll take mine from a busty blond on her knees

I drive a lot too, the vehicle i drive is higher up than yer average car, allows me to see further ahead, allows me a bit more of a heads-up on whats ahead of me, if i see a cyclist ahead and i know im going to be closer to them soon,at a point in the road where safely getting by wont be an option, i then slow it all down, safe distance from them, clear road ahead, nae bother, everyones fine.

Anyone thats driven in europe, prob knows theres more space, and they tend to drive more patiently generally.

We are a small country with high volumes of traffic with a pretty big percentage of non-patient drivers.

Probably the fact we pay road tax studied the laws n rules of the roads and had to be tested before we could drive on them. Any arsehole can jump on a bike clueless to road safety.

Example junctions and a bike pulls up to the left side of your car expecting to go forward and your going left. Not wise when your under my wheels...

Sorry rant but the uks roads arent designed for bikes.. The Dutch have the right idea saving lives with bike seperated bike lanes all out the cities n towns

"

and by the 'I pay' argument, then most cars should get out my way as mine is in the top bracket, and all those eco friendly cars who pay zero VED shouldn't be on the road?

"

I'm assuming you are, of course, joking?

"

I'm assuming you are, of course, joking? "

He probably was. But his logic is impeccable.

For those that believe (incorrectly) that paying car tax entitles them to be on the road more than bikes/horses etc that don't, then it follows they should believe that those paying more tax have more right than those that pay less for more economical vehicles.

By *rnycpl2705Couple  over a year ago

Killin

"So what you're saying is, poor behaviour by cyclists is relatively rare. Must be if you can remember the most specific instance. Yet poor behaviour by motorists is so commonplace that it ceases to be worthy of an anecdote? "

When cyclists jump red lights or stop signs they put themselves in danger when cars do it they put me and my colleagues in danger....but yes, motorists displaying poor behaviour is a lot more common, especially at road works, I've had to physically jump out the way of cars when doing traffic control because they said they didn't see me or they didn't see the work signs on the road. My biggest problem is speeding through a work site... We put 30mph signs at a site and get cars, vans and HGV's doing 50+mph

Cyclists should be made to register and insure their bikes.... if they want to be treated equally as road users then other road users should be able to report them when they cycle through red lights etc,...

If cyclists want and expect more respect on the road it is time they self policed themseleve instead of blaming everyone else , was hit by two cyclist in Glasgow today , both were going up the wrong way on way streets and thru red lights nd their language was feckin terrible -needless to say my sympathies towards cyclists has sadly gone

"

By *homasP80Man  over a year ago

Linwood

I have a car and a bike.

When I'm out on my bike I'll use the cycle path which is very near me so at least I know I'm not being a nuisance to road users, and Ok I'd use cycle lanes on the road also.

As i am someone who hasn't rode a bike for years I'm a bit slower/inexperienced (un-fit) than most, normally I'll hold to the right/left side of the cycle path to allow other cyclists to pass.

As for cycling on the pavement, your damn right I'll do this, but I cycle at a slow speed, Also at least I'll feel much safer.

» Add a new message to this topic