FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Right to buy

Right to buy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What do people think to the Scottish government scrapping the right to buy your council house come 2017 , as announced on the ( bbc news app web site )

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Didn't think there were any left worth buying.....all the good ones were bought long time since

Like most government initiatives there were good points and bad ones. The scheme was initially aim at folks that had been renting the same house for years with no chance of ever getting into the housing ladder. Remember this was way back in the early 80's when the scheme first started. And it worked well.

However in the highlands and island it devasted council housing stock for new teachers, policemen and firemen where a house was provided with the job which fell into the category of council house....So lots of school and police houses were bought by the people in them at the time. Many of these properties were adjoined to the school or station and once bought no longer available for the new teacher or policeman..

from me, all I'm saying

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

The right to buy was a fabulous thing and i wouldnt want to see it scrapped completely , the problem wasnt that houses and flats were sold ....the problem was these homes were never replaced.....what i would like to see is maybe a bar on newly built council houses being available to buy for x amount of years before they can be bought by the sitting tenant

Disgrace that's all I'm saying

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"...........However in the highlands and island it devasted council housing stock for new teachers, policemen and firemen where a house was provided with the job which fell into the category of council house....So lots of school and police houses were bought by the people in them at the time. Many of these properties were adjoined to the school or station and once bought no longer available for the new teacher or policeman..

"

I don't think that's quite how it works.

Time spent paying rent in tied, local authority provided accomodation counts to wards the level of discount a tenant is entitled to when/ if they relocate to an open market council or housing association house but you can't actually buy the house that comes with the job.

Glasgow

" .....what i would like to see is maybe a bar on newly built council houses being available to buy for x amount of years before they can be bought by the sitting tenant "

I believe what's called 'new supply' social housing (built after a certain date*) isn't eligible for right to buy.

I don't know the date.

"...........However in the highlands and island it devasted council housing stock for new teachers, policemen and firemen where a house was provided with the job which fell into the category of council house....So lots of school and police houses were bought by the people in them at the time. Many of these properties were adjoined to the school or station and once bought no longer available for the new teacher or policeman..

Time spent paying rent in tied, local authority provided accomodation counts to wards the level of discount a tenant is entitled to when/ if they relocate to an open market council or housing association house but you can't actually buy the house that comes with the job.

"

Certainly used to be. Loads of teachers in the remoter areas bought ex school houses. Caused quite an outcry back in the day...

Glasgow

Certainly used to be. Loads of teachers in the remoter areas bought ex school houses. Caused quite an outcry back in the day..."

Are these 'ex-school houses' houses which provided accomodation for teachers in schools which have been closed?

Glasgow

Shelter's website says

"Who doesn't have the right to buy?

You are unlikely to have the right to buy your home if it is:

•rented to you under a Scottish secure tenancy that began after 2 March 2011

•rented to you from a housing association that obtained charitable status before 18 July 2001

•part of a sheltered housing complex

•for people with special needs

•for people in their retirement

•provided with housing support services

•provided by your employer and linked to your job

•rented to you under a short Scottish secure tenancy

•part of a fully mutual co-operative housing association

•rented from a small housing association (fewer than 100 homes)

•in an area where the right to buy has been suspended due to a shortage of affordable housing

•due to be demolished

•'new supply' social housing

By *horstrollMan  over a year ago

Caprona

"

Are these 'ex-school houses' houses which provided accomodation for teachers in schools which have been closed? "

Retired Techer in Dalbeattie, got to keep the school house, funnily enough his daughter is the current teacher.

buy them, but why at a discount.

Glasgow

There were three reasons for the discount.

1) to reflect the sums already paid in rent.

2) to acknowledge the fact that a house with a sitting tenant who probably can never be evicted is worth less than an identical house without a sitting tenant.

3) it was a bit of a Thatcherite bribe. Most of the folks who bought wouldn't have been able to afford the market price.

» Add a new message to this topic