FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Innocent until proven guilty

Innocent until proven guilty

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1 OP   Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

Just been watching an article on Gmtv,do you think people should be given anonymity until being proven guilty in a court of law ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan  over a year ago

Glasgow West

Yes, but I find you guilty of watching GMTV......

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No people will always make there own minds up regardless

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1 OP   Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"No people will always make there own minds up regardless "
So what about the people who have been wrongly accused ? dragged through the courts and been left with their lifes in tatters because they were accused of a crime they didnt commit?

By *he Enigmatic MagnetMan  over a year ago

Glasgow West

"No people will always make there own minds up regardless "

So, you are falsely accused of rape. Your (false) accuser gets anonymity, you get named. Even if you are cleared, she remains anonymous, but you are tarnished. Is that right?

Oh serious one when I haven't woken up properly yet. This was on Question Time recently too.

I can see an argument for both sides of this one & possible trial by TV, people jumping on bandwagon etc.

My worry is that I personally know of someone who was accused of something which he didn't & (I knew) would NEVER have done. His ex was merely being a vindictive b**** to protect her Mother who was actually the REAL abuser.

This caused havoc in my friends life, was forced to give up his job, take on a very lengthy court battle firstly to prove his innocence & then a custody battle. This went on for years, involved numerous public institutions & cost taxpayers an untold amount simply because of one manipulative girl used the system.

So I believe if one party is named then all parties should be in order to be fair to all. Alternatively, both parties should remain anonymous until the verdict is delivered.

I understand that in some cases people who are genuinely abused would be reluctant to come forward & confront their abuser/rapist. So it is a very complex & difficult one to get a fair system in place to cover the majority of these cases. However it must be remembered (wherever possible) that we must protect the rights of people who are (falsely) accused of something whilst delivering a workable system for genuine cases.

The law trys to be fair certainly...with no incriminating evidence allowed.

example: a car theif who has consistant stolen cars...been in n out of prison for years.....you wont hear about that in court...just details of the specific case.

think thats how its done. may be wrong.

I absolutely agree MIssD,

There have been so many instances of guys being falsely accused of a crime who have had their lives ruined because of it because like it or not, even if proven not guilty, some people just won't let it lie.

Example, guy get accused of being a peodophile, word get around the local community, everyone in his local community immediately turns against him, hounds him out of the area, possibly physically assaulted, his life is ruined and then it turns out it was a case of mistaken identity. The guys done nothing wrong.

There are some crimes which you'd have to look at and say that you just can't release names of suspects or accused until they've been tried and found guily.

Look at the furore recently of the Boston Bombers. Twitter and social media sites whipped up a frenzy and named a normal, run of the mill student as one of the bombers because 'his backpack looked odd shaped' the world world turns against him on social media, the guy goes missing and eventually kills himself.

There is NEVER any arguement for naming suspects that can justify this happening to a totally innocent by-stander! Ever!

"I absolutely agree MIssD,

There have been so many instances of guys being falsely accused of a crime who have had their lives ruined because of it because like it or not, even if proven not guilty, some people just won't let it lie.

Example, guy get accused of being a peodophile, word get around the local community, everyone in his local community immediately turns against him, hounds him out of the area, possibly physically assaulted, his life is ruined and then it turns out it was a case of mistaken identity. The guys done nothing wrong.

There are some crimes which you'd have to look at and say that you just can't release names of suspects or accused until they've been tried and found guily.

Look at the furore recently of the Boston Bombers. Twitter and social media sites whipped up a frenzy and named a normal, run of the mill student as one of the bombers because 'his backpack looked odd shaped' the world world turns against him on social media, the guy goes missing and eventually kills himself.

There is NEVER any arguement for naming suspects that can justify this happening to a totally innocent by-stander! Ever!"

» Add a new message to this topic