FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Council tax reclaim

Council tax reclaim

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just watched thing on tv, it is possible you have been paying council tax for your "wrongly banded" house and you can reclaim years of payments if it has been.

You can check on, SAA.gov,,,,,site

Just enter your postcode in its search engine.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We got thousands back a few years ago so it can be done

Just remember, in for a penny in for a pound.

If the banding was incorrect but it was in your favour, they can back date the additional liability and this is usually for the last one/two years.

Same for non-domestic rates.

"Just watched thing on tv, it is possible you have been paying council tax for your "wrongly banded" house and you can reclaim years of payments if it has been.

You can check on, SAA.gov,,,,,site

Just enter your postcode in its search engine."

I never knew this.

By *uncouple981Couple  over a year ago

ayrshire

Just watch though it works both ways. If you underpaid they will ask for the money back too.

"Just watch though it works both ways. If you underpaid they will ask for the money back too. "

So do you have to sign up first so they have your details & then they'll say if you have a rebate or whether you owe them?

Considering the "nice" area I'm in & the state of our roads, lack of services & the drop in house prices I wonder if that is taken into consideration or not. Still, it could be worth a try.

By *uncouple981Couple  over a year ago

ayrshire

"Just watch though it works both ways. If you underpaid they will ask for the money back too.

So do you have to sign up first so they have your details & then they'll say if you have a rebate or whether you owe them?

Considering the "nice" area I'm in & the state of our roads, lack of services & the drop in house prices I wonder if that is taken into consideration or not. Still, it could be worth a try. "

To be honest I don't know if you can check before you contact them. X

You have to prove that your house was put into the wrong band at the time of valuation. So if you can show that houses in the same street or similar houses in he area were banded lower you have a case.

another thing to check is your sewage charge lol i no not nice but if you live in a rural location you dont pay as you have to pay yourself yet every year on our council tax bill it charges us and we have to get in touch with them

By *ojomanMan  over a year ago

Loch Lomond

I went through the process and failed, you need to challenge your banding within 6 months of you moving into your house otherwise you loose your right, i took it to an appeal but lost, you can wait for a new neighbour to move in and get them to challenge within the period, if they succeed then if your property is the same or similar you can get the rebate after all

We were in a lot more than 6 month.Maybe different councils have different rules

» Add a new message to this topic