FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > St Patricks Day in New York

St Patricks Day in New York

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oupleslovers OP   Couple  over a year ago

near Glasgow

Going in 5 weeks and cant wait. Has anyone been before and what can I expect. Looking forward to seeing the sites ive only seen on telly lol

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We went to New York a few yrs back.

Great city

Take comfy shoes and loads of money

Lol.

Auds xx

Yep lots to see and do, deffinately need comfy shoes and wrap up it can be Baltic in winter, went to Boston for St pats and had time of my life

Enjoy

By *ir laugh a lotMan  over a year ago

glasgow

tip find a good location as close too maceys as possible buy a cpl of fold up chairs ,a cool box and stock up ,, sit close to edge of sidewalk possibly behind a barrier and dont move ,,as parade lasts for well over an hour possibly two its a fantasic atmosphere only matched by boston and norfolk virginia but most of all enjoy ,,

By *oupleslovers OP   Couple  over a year ago

near Glasgow

Cheers folks

I was in New York for St Patricks day about 9 years ago and the I still have amazing memories (the ones I can actually remember).

My advice, head to one of the bars round about Grand central station about 10am as thats where all the fireman, policemen etc that are taking part in the parade will be and the bars will be jumping! The bartenders don't really bother to measure out the spirits on paddys day so the warm fuzzy feeling appears pretty quickly!

Do's: Take a kilt. Be prepared for everyone being your friend. Don't worry about heading all over Manhattan with people you've never met, just go with it and you'll see parts of NYC you'd never have seen on your own.

Don't: get the last train home to connecticut, fall asleep on the train and wake up somewhere in New England at 3am. Don't let your kilted bare arse touch the plastic seats in the back of the car of the kindly policeman who offers to give you a lift to the taxi office because you 'look a bit lost'. Don't spend $80 on a cab ride back to Connecticut as all the trains have stopped running because of the heavy snow.

All my do's and don'ts are from personal experience but I have to tell you, it was one of the best days out I've EVER had and I would do all of it again in a heartbeat!

Have an awesome time!

Oh yeah, and as for things to do, you won't go short but you have to go for at least one drink in the revolving bar at the top of the Marriott hotel in Time Square at night. Its one of the most amazing views I've ever seen!

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

I've been a couple of times ul love it and I'm going back in November Christmas shopping.

Best tip I can offer is when shopping in Macys ,Bloomingdales or Zacs make sure you head straight to the visitors centre for your visitors discount card xxx

Went for my 30th for st paddys day, had a great time. A newyorker advised me to go to Boston next time as far better

"I was in New York for St Patricks day about 9 years ago and the I still have amazing memories (the ones I can actually remember).

My advice, head to one of the bars round about Grand central station about 10am as thats where all the fireman, policemen etc that are taking part in the parade will be and the bars will be jumping! The bartenders don't really bother to measure out the spirits on paddys day so the warm fuzzy feeling appears pretty quickly!

Do's: Take a kilt. Be prepared for everyone being your friend. Don't worry about heading all over Manhattan with people you've never met, just go with it and you'll see parts of NYC you'd never have seen on your own.

Don't: get the last train home to connecticut, fall asleep on the train and wake up somewhere in New England at 3am. Don't let your kilted bare arse touch the plastic seats in the back of the car of the kindly policeman who offers to give you a lift to the taxi office because you 'look a bit lost'. Don't spend $80 on a cab ride back to Connecticut as all the trains have stopped running because of the heavy snow.

All my do's and don'ts are from personal experience but I have to tell you, it was one of the best days out I've EVER had and I would do all of it again in a heartbeat!

Have an awesome time!

"

next holiday your going....can I come?

will be out there the same time, see you at the bar

By *tworksMan  over a year ago

South Lanarkshire

Mostly been said above .... it is amazing .... but ....

Do

Wear a kilt

Take plenty of money .... for after the parade

Talk to everybody that talks to you

Have some bevvy

Stand outside Sax .... you can use their loo's !!

And enjoy

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Going in 5 weeks and cant wait. Has anyone been before and what can I expect. Looking forward to seeing the sites ive only seen on telly lol"

I've been sent a couple of times in an official capacity and there's no doubt NYNY is a wonderful town.

That said, I couldn't wait to escape. Plastic Paddy's everywhere. Imagine the worst Irish theme bar near you multiplied 100 fold.

Wear a kilt for paddies day? You mean for St.Andrews day dont you? Big difference.

Glasgow

"Wear a kilt for paddies day? You mean for St.Andrews day dont you? Big difference."

(Some)Irish folk wear an approximation of the kilt.

The Ops live in Glasgow, so guessing their Scottish, maybe Irish. Not sure why a Scotsman would wear a kilt to paddies day ...

Glasgow

"The Ops live in Glasgow, so guessing their Scottish, maybe Irish. Not sure why a Scotsman would wear a kilt to paddies day ..."

You may be correct. It's possible they're Scots.

Regardless of their origin, I see no indication that they intend to wear a kilt.

That said, lots of people travel abroad in what can only be described as fancy dress to locals.

» Add a new message to this topic