FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > HMV

HMV

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

How sad to hear another chain of shops going down. I was in the one in Livi on sat and couldn't get moving,just shows how bad things are getting!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A sad day if hmv goes under. I buy a lot of dvd's from hmv. Can't understand why it's in administration. Always busy when I'm in a hmv store.

By *ndykayMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

It's going because of the Internet. Shops cost a lot of money to keep open. Internet businesses don't have those costs so can sell cheaper. Brand loyalty went out the window years ago. Now it's just 'find it cheaper'. I feel sorry for the 4000 odd people who look like they will be out of job soon.

Someone may come in and rescue them like GAME. GAME was in the same position but its still open albeit less stores are open now.

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"It's going because of the Internet. Shops cost a lot of money to keep open. Internet businesses don't have those costs so can sell cheaper. Brand loyalty went out the window years ago. Now it's just 'find it cheaper'. I feel sorry for the 4000 odd people who look like they will be out of job soon. "
Yeah i have to agree many shops are going and i think its all down to the Internet were all becoming a nation of couch potatoes chosing to order online than going out in the freezing cold and standing for ages to pay for things x

Falkirk

"It's going because of the Internet. Shops cost a lot of money to keep open. Internet businesses don't have those costs so can sell cheaper. Brand loyalty went out the window years ago. Now it's just 'find it cheaper'. I feel sorry for the 4000 odd people who look like they will be out of job soon. Yeah i have to agree many shops are going and i think its all down to the Internet were all becoming a nation of couch potatoes chosing to order online than going out in the freezing cold and standing for ages to pay for things x"

Prime example was when I wanted 2 new bikes last year and it was cheaper to order them online and have them delivered direct to my door than go into the shop owned by the website!!!

"It's going because of the Internet. Shops cost a lot of money to keep open. Internet businesses don't have those costs so can sell cheaper. Brand loyalty went out the window years ago. Now it's just 'find it cheaper'. I feel sorry for the 4000 odd people who look like they will be out of job soon. Yeah i have to agree many shops are going and i think its all down to the Internet were all becoming a nation of couch potatoes chosing to order online than going out in the freezing cold and standing for ages to pay for things x

Prime example was when I wanted 2 new bikes last year and it was cheaper to order them online and have them delivered direct to my door than go into the shop owned by the website!!!"

exactly and most deliver the next day provided the order is placed before a certain time xxx

Falkirk

At this rate we won't have high streets or shopping centres in 10 years lol

By *74 fun guyMan  over a year ago

East Kilbride

Strange how it stayed open long enough for people to buy gift tokens that they now can't use , borders books done same thing closing shortly after Xmas , rip off!

By *uitar_antiheroMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

I do prefer to wander round a shop, handling physical dvds & cds but I do now check Amazon on my mobile to see if the price is good. I bought headphones for 30 quid on Amazon that were 50 in hmv. I'm not exactly minted so I need to pay the cheaper price. I don't quibble over a couple of quid, but sometimes you just have to say the shops are overpriced.

Still, the saddest part is the staff who may well be out of work. The industry does want a high st presence so I don't think hmv will disappear, but some branches will close for sure.

What the hell is going on in this country so sad online buying is taking over shopping

Its called technology, taking over everything now. Where would fabswingers be without it ??

"What the hell is going on in this country so sad online buying is taking over shopping "
why Is it sad too go for the cheaper option and move with the times ?

"What the hell is going on in this country so sad online buying is taking over shopping "
if you saw something in a shop at say £300 then went online and saw it for £200 with next day delivery youd go to the shop ? i think not

ah the joys of online being cheaper. Just wait till royal mail go under or increase their prices to cover their true costs of posting and everyone has to be courier deliveries. You wont be happy then!

on the plus side at least the real life shops will be there, oh wait thats right, they wont be

By *illow PimpMan  over a year ago

Midlothian

"Strange how it stayed open long enough for people to buy gift tokens that they now can't use , borders books done same thing closing shortly after Xmas , rip off! "

That's what get's on my tit's, jessops done exactly the same, it's theft.

Why would you go out in the cold, get into your car, drive to a high street, pay crazy car park prices, walk to the shop, spend a while looking for your product instore, q up to buy it, walk back to your car, drive home, back out in the cold when you can take 2 minutes and save 50% in cash ordering online.....................#NOBRAINER

"ah the joys of online being cheaper. Just wait till royal mail go under or increase their prices to cover their true costs of posting and everyone has to be courier deliveries. You wont be happy then!

on the plus side at least the real life shops will be there, oh wait thats right, they wont be"

cross that bridge when we come too it lol

By *illow PimpMan  over a year ago

Midlothian

"ah the joys of online being cheaper. Just wait till royal mail go under or increase their prices"

Royal mail can fuck right off, bought 2 xmas cards at nearly £9, still not arrived, correct postage applied

By *l_and_geeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Edinburgh

It's a shame that this has happened and is indicative of the demise of the High Sreet in general. All these 'large corporations' that put small retailers out of business are now beginning to fail. Mostly through poor management and greed!

You may be interested to know that Trevor Moore, chief executive of HMV, is the former chief executive of Jessops, while non-executive director David Adams is the former chairman of Jessops!!!!(Good businessmen or not?)

They join a long line of 'well known' brands that have gone in the last 12 months some being rescued by 'asset strippers' such as JJB Sports, Clinton Cards, Game Group, Peacocks and Blacks Leisure.

The High Street is going to look a lot different over the next 5 years guaranteed!

Hate to be the kid that woke up to find santa had left Jessops vouchers

"Strange how it stayed open long enough for people to buy gift tokens that they now can't use , borders books done same thing closing shortly after Xmas , rip off! "
yeah that's just wrong, not like they don't have the goods to exchange for the already paid for tokens...Shocking!

Vastly over priced goods for years. No problem when everyone had disposable income and easy credit. Where did the vast profits go??! The now 'rich few'.

Food retailers are some of the biggest culprits. ( where i work). If you really knew the cost of a tin of beans or bottle of wine, to the retailers and then the price they charge the customer.

Shocking!!!!!

EG; a case of 6 bottles of wine. Sell 1 bottle and the retailer is in profit for the whole case. Even cheap priced or at sale price wines.

"Vastly over priced goods for years. No problem when everyone had disposable income and easy credit. Where did the vast profits go??! The now 'rich few'.

Food retailers are some of the biggest culprits. ( where i work). If you really knew the cost of a tin of beans or bottle of wine, to the retailers and then the price they charge the customer.

Shocking!!!!!

EG; a case of 6 bottles of wine. Sell 1 bottle and the retailer is in profit for the whole case. Even cheap priced or at sale price wines. "

yeah i used to have a wee job a few hours a week in a local grocers and when we put out the new pos tickets just didnae go up by a few pence but in the 20 and 30's..and yeah the booze was the worst, that's defo where they make the money!

Falkirk

Unfortunately it's the same the world over and I don't think it's ever going to change. All you can do is shop around and vote with your feet. It's getting to the stag when your local shop can be cheaper for some things than the big supermarket

» Add a new message to this topic