FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Unions and strikes

Unions and strikes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Just seen the news that London underground staff are striking, what day did i hear you ask?

Boxing day... the busiest day of the year for shops in the centre of London, how good was that planning? Another day off them!

Stands well back and watches this one!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I live in Glasgow so doesn't bother me in the slightest

By *uncouple981Couple  over a year ago

ayrshire

Your in the Scotland forum in case you didn't notice. Chances are there are not that many people on here it will effect.

X

It was a knock on post to the other forum which ended up as a Thatcher basher x

By *t115Man  over a year ago

Glasgow

Aren't the trains going on strike soon in Glasgow? Sure I read that in the paper, but maybe it's been called off.

By *urioduoCouple  over a year ago

lanarkshire

"It was a knock on post to the other forum which ended up as a Thatcher basher x"
maybe i am wrong but did the previous post not start as a union bashing exercise which ended up with someone actually insinuating that union members where shirking bastards, I have been a union member since the day I left school, I have never been on strke but fully support every workers right to do so once all other avenues have been exhausted

Why pick Boxing day?

im sorry you missunderstood me _urioduo or maybe i didnt make it clear enough...a decent hard working union member will stand on his own merits within a company and will never need the protection of union bullies...therefore i stand by my comment that unions are organisations run by lazy shirking bastards for the benefit or protection of lazy shirking bastards. i think its commendable that you have never been on strike butyou are probably one of the majority of decent hardworking members who have paid your fees to benefit the idle lacksadaisacal minority to little benefit to yourself...

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Why pick Boxing day?"

No point in calling a transport strike on a day nobody wants to travel.

Glasgow

"........ I have been a union member since the day I left school, I have never been on strke but fully support every workers right to do so once all other avenues have been exhausted "

That's the way it ought to be. Striking should be, and more often than not is, a last resort.

There is however a section of society which remembers the Rag Trade and Miriam Karlin's character.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

fuck the unions.

lets put the great back into britain,and get those eight year olds,back up those chimneys.

"It was a knock on post to the other forum which ended up as a Thatcher basher x"

Sorry but i remember the fantastic plans they had for the NHS, in fact i doubt i will forget it,ever.

And the factory my dad worked in, 100% productive, Closed,,re-structuring,marvelous.

Aston if you dont like it, just strike, its simples .... or vote for a different leader, more democratic

Quite funny,,, im sure there was someone on another thread,with their nuggets of state of the country etc,,but started by saying,,, i dont vote i never will,huu? lol

A lovely example of why we have this lovely co-alition government currently.

Not me, i always vote, if you dont vote you cant complain, thats my motto.

"Why pick Boxing day?"

Maximum impact that's why.

Would you like them to strike on a convenient date that suits everyone?

Not looked into this one at all.

Why are they going out?

"fuck the unions.

lets put the great back into britain,and get those eight year olds,back up those chimneys."

lol

"Aston if you dont like it, just strike, its simples "

No, it isn't simples in any way shape or form.

Just out of interest, what experience do you have of unions, being in a union, dealing with a union?

A lot !!!!

"A lot !!!!"

Such as?

What and where i have worked is none of your business. This is my opinion and i am entitled to it. I have fought unions for a long time.

Lets hope you dont need to use the London underground eh?

Never asked who with or where you had worked, just what experience you had of unions (a lot you said).

Your thread is no more than an anti union rant. You, as a business owner, can't see any good in them (and before you say it, yes, we do have experience of running a company).

I won't be using the underground as it happens. If I had to though I'd find alternative transport.

So,in conclusion, we only have your word that you have "a lot" of experience with the union movement.

Why have you fought unions btw?

My original post was trying to show that every action has a knock on effect, striking on Boxing day will affect the shops, the retail trade in London, the suppliers to the retail trade. Drs and Nurses and other very important members of the services being able to get to work. Bear in mind buses will be on bank holiday timetables..congestion charges in place in inner London... thats what i hate about the unions striking, it doesnt seem to worry them about the knock on effect!

By *adgeeMan  over a year ago

Sw Scotland

"Why pick Boxing day?"

Because they're not operating on Xmas day?

"My original post was trying to show that every action has a knock on effect, striking on Boxing day will affect the shops, the retail trade in London, the suppliers to the retail trade. Drs and Nurses and other very important members of the services being able to get to work. Bear in mind buses will be on bank holiday timetables..congestion charges in place in inner London... thats what i hate about the unions striking, it doesnt seem to worry them about the knock on effect! "

Why should the knock on effect worry them?

Strikes are called to create maximum effect and disruption. How else do you get managements attention?

I know you don't like unions but for a lot of big services strikes are the final option against management who refuse to negociate.

Do you really think these people want to go out the doors?

They don't get paid when they go out, lots of people forget this (I still have a pay slip with £0.00 at the bottom of it from the only time I had to strike for my conditions regardless that the press said it was for a wage rise. It wasn't).

The people who have to get to work will ultimately get to work, albeit a bit later or they'll leave a bit earlier.

Nobody strikes for nothing!!!

By *illow PimpMan  over a year ago

Midlothian

Have been a union member since i left school at 15 and entered full time employment.

From the age of 18 and for 15 yrs there after worked myself through the ranks from health and safety to full time steward representing over 500 members in my work place alone.

Served at branch level and national level and also on the the TUC and labour party advisory panel.

Addressed confrences each and every year at various sea side towns bringing issues that effect every man and woman in employment from work place discrimination in all its forms.

I chose to take the role on for a few reasons. Primarily that every worker returns home from a days work safely.

Every worker is treated with respect and earns a wage that is deserved and earned.

That terms and conditions that our brothers an sisters before us negotiated and fought for are not only maintained but improved in line with the growth of the company.

There are many good employers who i have dealt with but also many who couldn't care less with you being safe at work or even entitled to holidays.

We negotiated a 3 week pay for every year of service for the last closure we had whilst most workplaces only get the government minimum.

For the price of a pint i'd urge anyone to join a union.

What happens if everyone went on strike on the same day? The police are banned from striking, whats your thoughts on that? Why ban one service group but not another?

I know it wouldnt happen but what if all the union reps got together and decided everyone should strike for whatever reason on the same day?

I think it was the teachers that went on strike last year, the retail industry got a boost as most went shopping instead of picketing.

"What happens if everyone went on strike on the same day? The police are banned from striking, whats your thoughts on that? "

The police voted for that and I think it is now repealed (may be wrong but I'm sure some police went on strike earlier in the year.

well

Said m8

" well

Said m8 "

That was for pp .

"I know it wouldnt happen but what if all the union reps got together and decided everyone should strike for whatever reason on the same day?

I think it was the teachers that went on strike last year, the retail industry got a boost as most went shopping instead of picketing."

For one, the reps don't decide when strikes happen, the members do.

Everyone did go on strike at one time, it was called the general strike.

Why should they go on picket duty?

Would you stand outside your workplace when you weren't getting paid to be there?

They're not being paid, it's their own time. If they want to shop then they can go shopping.

Picketing isn't a condition of striking.

I would imagine the people that can complain the most about their conditions are the services in Afganistan... Are they allowed to strike due to health and safety issues or fair pay? You cant have it all ways, either everyone has a union rep and be allowed to down tools, or guns or no one. Then fight your own case with HR.

If i wanted a pay rise and did not feel i was being cherished at work, then i would get another job, fighting as hard as i can to succeed

Picketing is a sign of solidarity.. i thought you would know about that.

Also its a great way of bullying other members who dont agree with striking, so they can shout abuse at them for actually going to work.

Glasgow

"I would imagine the people that can complain the most about their conditions are the services in Afganistan... Are they allowed to strike due to health and safety issues or fair pay? ......"

Why would they complain? They're all volunteers.

Nobody still believes in Billy Connolly's 'computers n sunshine n skis'

Glasgow

"Picketing is a sign of solidarity.. i thought you would know about that.

Also its a great way of bullying other members who dont agree with striking, so they can shout abuse at them for actually going to work."

These blacklegs are the people who'll gladly enjoy the improvements in terms and conditions won by unions without contributing in any way to achieving them.

Volunteers work at the local charity shop. They decided to join the services, like someone may join the NHS, its not volunteering its a job!

"Picketing is a sign of solidarity.. i thought you would know about that.

Also its a great way of bullying other members who dont agree with striking, so they can shout abuse at them for actually going to work."

Picketing is a choice, I've been on picket lines and have never seen anyone bullied (have you ever encountered a picket line?) and your remarks about the armed services shows you have no arguement left so have wheeled out the big guns of our serving soldiers.

For the record, your opinions are noted. I'm spending no more time reading them.

Midlothian

"Then fight your own case with HR.

If i wanted a pay rise and did not feel i was being cherished at work, then i would get another job, fighting as hard as i can to succeed "

You walk in the door and HR tells you either shut up or bolt, you have a family needing fed and cared for who do you turn to ?

So you bolt but every place you try for employment has shitty terms and conditions, you then find a workplace with good pay, 33 paid holidays a year, a sick pay scheme, work wear issue, health benefits to name but a few.

You can be sure that the above were negotiated for not just given because the employer feels like it.

would you take the shitty job or the good one ?

Glasgow

"Volunteers work at the local charity shop. They decided to join the services, like someone may join the NHS, its not volunteering its a job!"

Indeed they did decide. They weren't conscripted nor pressed - the volunteered.

They took the shilling of their own free will in the knowledge of where that decision might take them.

So Knottys finally has no more answers, also who on earth would leave a job without having another one to go too? Not every company has a union, i should know. So the fact that you feel any company that offers fair pay and holidays has a trade union rep sorting all of this out is totally ridiculous.

Midlothian

"So the fact that you feel any company that offers fair pay and holidays has a trade union rep sorting all of this out is totally ridiculous. "

This would be dealt with at national level, minimum wage for example was taken up my unions and negotiated with government.

totally ridiculous its not.

Who mentioned minimum wage? I said fair wages to go and succeed you cant afford a mortgage on minimum wage can you???

I see that you are saying unions have helped sort minimum standards, but remember they are just that. minimum.

Glasgow

"Who mentioned minimum wage? I said fair wages to go and succeed you cant afford a mortgage on minimum wage can you???

I see that you are saying unions have helped sort minimum standards, but remember they are just that. minimum."

If only they WERE a minimum. There are cases coming to court week after week of unscrupulous employers paying less than National Minimum Wage.

Bloody unions let them down Onny? lol

They should strikeeeee lol

Kidding cos i think thats total exploitation, fair price for a fair job.

Midlothian

"Who mentioned minimum wage? I said fair wages to go and succeed you cant afford a mortgage on minimum wage can you???

I see that you are saying unions have helped sort minimum standards, but remember they are just that. minimum."

I used the minimum wage as an example to blow your argument out the water.

Do you think you could even feed a family on wages before the minimum wage was introduced ?

That the government just decided to introduce a minimum wage because they felt like it ?

Unions fought and negotiated for it.

"im sorry you missunderstood me _urioduo or maybe i didnt make it clear enough...a decent hard working union member will stand on his own merits within a company and will never need the protection of union bullies...therefore i stand by my comment that unions are organisations run by lazy shirking bastards for the benefit or protection of lazy shirking bastards. i think its commendable that you have never been on strike butyou are probably one of the majority of decent hardworking members who have paid your fees to benefit the idle lacksadaisacal minority to little benefit to yourself..."

Unions can be a good thing. A lone employee has no power against the person who employs him. But the many can provide a stronger position. I'm all for them. They campaign for minimum standards of pay and safety, and I'm sure most employers in these austere times would love to see a few of these standards dropped to save a bit of cash.

I dislike the RMT however, Bob Crowe seems to take great delight in calling everyone out and does seem to like holding the capital to ransom. See his stance on the Olympics when he demanded a bonus for staff just for carting a few more people about. Which actually never happened.

The police I know won't go on strike, mainly out of principle. They do realise the damage that would cause and they do actually care about what they do. And none that I know of want to see armed soldiers on the street, policing through fear. It was the support officers who went on strike a while back.

And if the military were to go on strike who would that affect? They provide no service to the public at present. Are you suggesting that France would invade on that day?

If the OP runs a company and pays more than minimum wage, adheres to employment legislation and safety standards then his employees possibly have no need of a union. But others don't always.

I have wide ranging experience of dealing with unions at all levels.

The local shop steward tried to vote more numbers than he had members and actually more votes than the works had employees.

The impact was that he got fired by the Head Office of the union.

Everytime they negotiate they always leave the table saying that they have to consult the membership. Do the membership not trust them?

Midlothian

"Everytime they negotiate they always leave the table saying that they have to consult the membership. Do the membership not trust them?

"

Quite the opposite, the members are the union nothing to do with trust, it does actually work both ways, the members could be screaming for a rise and not take no for an answer, the union rep takes the companys position on board and conveys that message to the members of how difficult thing actually are. compromise is what its all about.

Union men on strike? We gottah hold on, to what we gat. It dosun make a deefrence if we mek it aw naat!

"So Knottys finally has no more answers, "

Not for you I haven't.

I got bored with your non arguements and I see they got no better.

see ya

By *horstrollMan  over a year ago

Caprona

"

And if the military were to go on strike who would that affect? They provide no service to the public at present. Are you suggesting that France would invade on that day? "

Anglo-French alliance just now along with membership of NATO and EUFOR.

Big PR of chunkies built Workington's Barker Crossing after floods wiped out three bridges.

Dutch armed forces have acess to FOUR unions.

Back to prounion anti union bashing please

I know all that. Was trying to make a point that you can't use the forces in an argument about striking.

By *horstrollMan  over a year ago

Caprona

"I know all that. Was trying to make a point that you can't use the forces in an argument about striking. "

True enough, after all macp led to bin strike and fire strike. Although a tanker strike was resolved.

Police federation came about after a strike or two. Woodentops were considered loyal enough as substitutes.

I wonder if we formed a swingers union whether we would ever vote to strike? Knowing some of the horny people on here, I doubt it! We could have a work to rule though! Or a naked love in...!

» Add a new message to this topic