FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Scotland > Clearing history on laptop?

Clearing history on laptop?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

In case my works laptop has to be returned for service, I'd like to know how I can delete 100% of history (don't want them knowing I'm on here lol) from hard drive. Any suggestions?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"In case my works laptop has to be returned for service, I'd like to know how I can delete 100% of history (don't want them knowing I'm on here lol) from hard drive. Any suggestions? "
click on tools then then saftey then click on delete browsing history .

Thanks for the reply. That procedure unfortunately doesn't delete from the hard drive - only the visible history is deleted that way. CCleaner has been suggested but not sure if that deletes all traces from hard drive.

ah ok well in that case ive no idea dumb blonde here lol

Thank you anyway.. (nice profile by the way!)

"Thank you anyway.. (nice profile by the way!)"
Thanks

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Best not using works laptop even 100% deleted Internet history can be recovered from laptops hd by works IT

I am sure even if a complete reinstall is done traces still remain

Oh sh-t lol.. too late came the cry... I'll just have to say my son borrowed it!

Worth trying Google Chrome and logon through 'incognito' - no trace, no history on laptop.

There's no way of deleti

G it completely from the hard drive anyone in IT can recover it as my ex found out when he tried deleting and hiding shit from me

.......bowl of water and some washing up liquid.

Oops!

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

".......bowl of water and some washing up liquid.

Oops! "

and a sledgehammer for the hard drive!

"Best not using works laptop even 100% deleted Internet history can be recovered from laptops hd by works IT

I am sure even if a complete reinstall is done traces still remain "

Never EVER use a works PC for anything you wouldn't want people to see.

Depending on how good the IT are at doing their jobs, it is possible to recovery history even after it has been removed, although this is done on a forensic level if they are digging that deep there's a reason.

Use ccleaner and it should be enough for average Joe

When your done with ccleaner remove/ uninstall we don;t want any more incriminating evidence

As for the son "borrowing it" IT will look at it as you are responsible for the laptop and data held on it (they will consider the data of more value than the laptop).

My advice if questioned on the web activity admit to it ONLY after you are presented with proof (they'll have lots if they do)

Download a free program called ccleaner. Filehippo.com has it. Wipes all history, cookies and all the files that your computer saves in the hard drive that deleting browser history doesn't reach. I do mine once a week. Amazing what stuff gets wiped that you don't need . Still use the delete history link as well though as ccleaner only deletes the stuff the aforementioned doesn't.

Hope this helps

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Only way to delete from hard drive is to format...........

And you dont want to be doing that!!

Your own fault for using work laptop!!!

Thanks to all who have answered. Ccleaner it is - and failing that the accidental spillage is sounding just about the best thing. Good point about the data. Just shows what can happen when wanting to check site mail when away on business trip lol. Thanks again. J

By *ohnny4playMan  over a year ago

Kinross

Private browsing on FireFox, then use ccleaner from periform. After running the cleaner go to tools and run the drive wipe on free space only with advanced or complex overwrite.

Do not do the accidental spill in case the it dept. then try a data recovery exercise.

If still paranoid you could try to get the machine infected with a virus. IT may then choose to wipe the machine and rebuild rather than attempt to clean it.

By *ola cubesMan  over a year ago

coatbridge

surely the it dept would be suspicious if the drive turns up showing empty and then do a recovery on it and alls there to see. short of smashing a hard drive with a powerful magnet you cant delete it fully and there are those that know how to recover it in my opinion your best bet buy a new hard drive and put work related stuff iver to it

Kinross

Ccleaner will overwrite the clean space. I.e. what you deleted.

It's not easy deleting the history, I thought I had done a great job, till my daughter used it(yes it was hers) and now she calls it my hobby,

Yeah I use ccleaner to make sure the kids don't stumble onto anything.. They have there own lap tops but you can't be too careful..

Kinross

"It's not easy deleting the history, I thought I had done a great job, till my daughter used it(yes it was hers) and now she calls it my hobby, "

Use private browsing mode that way it is automatic.

perhaps using a portable browser via usb would solve future problems...of course..just get back to work n stop perving about lol

By *olly Gentle GiantMan  over a year ago

Glenrothes

Agree with postings above but depending on how security aware your employer is, you might find that you don't have admin rights to instal software. Also remember that some firms place it tracing software either on their servers or laptops - so they can snoop. Lesson learned hard way. If you must use a works machine, you could use a usb pen mounted virtual system - many linux systems can operate from a pen drive - just make your laptop boot from usb 1st - that way you are going no where near your hard drive. But even then you might need admin rights to change boot sequence or might face awkward questions if IT see the sequence has been altered.

I've just completed the advanced wipe on ccleaner and wont be using the laptop again for my wee hobby (ps - I only used it when I was in hotels staying away overnight - off duty - but that wouldn't mean anything to the work) lol... honest!!

By *stonishCouple  over a year ago

edinburgh

i reinstalled windows 7 on wifes computer (was getting slow) a month later she asked if i had saved all her photos (oops) so downloaded recuva a free program got every photo back and thousands of images that had been looked at on the internet. so if you want to know if there deleted try recuva but do a deep scan can put your mind at rest

Kinross

"Agree with postings above but depending on how security aware your employer is, you might find that you don't have admin rights to instal software. Also remember that some firms place it tracing software either on their servers or laptops - so they can snoop. Lesson learned hard way. If you must use a works machine, you could use a usb pen mounted virtual system - many linux systems can operate from a pen drive - just make your laptop boot from usb 1st - that way you are going no where near your hard drive. But even then you might need admin rights to change boot sequence or might face awkward questions if IT see the sequence has been altered."

I find (the free) ubuntu flavor of Linux easy to use.

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

".......bowl of water and some washing up liquid.

Oops! "

irn bru is alot better

yeah, not worth the risk playing with work comps! I used to at work and then got into trouble over something else. I was scared of challenging things in case they pulled up the IT records!

Download and run Eraser, it might help and certainly won't do any harm.

[Removed by poster at 29/10/12 22:07:49]

Get a program called wipe drive pro it will erase everything and leave nothing unlike most programs

Thanks to all. I'm certain there will be lots of other folk on here grateful for all suggestions...

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

The best way to wipe a hard drive is with a sledgehammer

By *rallvalCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

If you need to browse anonymously then get hold of a live linux image and put it on a USB stick. You can boot off the stick and completely bypass the hard drive. It leaves no traces at all as everything is held in memory and vanishes when the machine is switched off.

I carry a live linux USB stick around with me most places as I can pop it into most PCs and use it. This includes some pay internet computers

That sounds useful. So do I just ask for a live linux usb stick at a ny shop? I could do with being shown exactly what to do I'm no IT boffin lol..

"Download a free program called ccleaner. Filehippo.com has it. Wipes all history, cookies and all the files that your computer saves in the hard drive that deleting browser history doesn't reach. I do mine once a week. Amazing what stuff gets wiped that you don't need . Still use the delete history link as well though as ccleaner only deletes the stuff the aforementioned doesn't.

Hope this helps

"

Just downloaded cc cleaner and ran the program. What a diference to my lappy speed and has dumped all the rubbish.

cheers

By *adgeeMan  over a year ago

Sw Scotland

It can make a real difference and by setting it up to clean things up every time you switch your PC on/off keeps it running quickly and efficiently, great little program for nowt!

"If you need to browse anonymously then get hold of a live linux image and put it on a USB stick. You can boot off the stick and completely bypass the hard drive. It leaves no traces at all as everything is held in memory and vanishes when the machine is switched off.

I carry a live linux USB stick around with me most places as I can pop it into most PCs and use it. This includes some pay internet computers

"

I tried to PM you but you've blocked males. Could you explain a wee bit more about running Linux from a memory stick?

You can try software called, HISTORYKILL,

I've used it for a few years.

It overwrites the history as many times as you decide in the setup.

It costs, but they do sometimes have free trials.

When this first came out in the 90's, the american security services tried to get it banned.

By *iceguy 1966Man  over a year ago

in pa postcode

Download advanced system care 5, it clears the lot and also tunes up your PC/lappy, I have used it for years. I hope this helps

By *lash and BunsCouple  over a year ago

Inverclyde

Please note, when you delete anything from the hard,drive, it is not removed, the data is still there, the only thing that happens when you delete a file is the space it occupied on the hard disk is marked as free space, but the file is still there until it is overwritten and even then that data can be "lifted to see what's underneath". To overcome this you need to overwrite the data many many times. Even using format or fdisk will not get rid.

If you want more info/advice, pm me.

Come on now...admit it! It's not the being on Fab you don't want discovered, now, is it...? It's the Justin Beiber Fanclub official website!

True. Deleting does not remove it from the hard drive.

Historykill overwrites the data numerous times to makes it unrecoverable.

Thats why the spooks tried to ban it

Inverclyde

The only one I would recommend is Bcwipe, certified and used by the US DoD, and so I've heard, our own MoD!

Inverclyde

Why is there 3 guys in suits and dark glasses at my front door

try a free programme called " CRAP CLEANER" Its good for clearing out history, cookies, etc. However always remember that despite every effort there is always something left that a half decent computer geek or forensic guy can find! Hope this is of use....R.

I think there's quite a range of programmes, many of them free, which claim to clear all the naughty stuff off your hard drive. And of course, also secure stuff like bank account details etc.

But the simple fact is that none of them do what we really want, which is simply to remove, forever, stuff we wouldn't want others seeing.

There is one solution though, and that's to take your hard drive out and smash it to smithereens with a hammer. And with the cost of basic and standard hard drives, it's probably not that expensive an option! As long as you have a copy of Windows to re-install it!

Inverclyde

If it's good enough the US dept of defence, then its good enough for me.

The other option is to use whole drive encryption, that way the only way to get,at it is with a pair of pliers and a blow torch on theperson who holds the keys!

By *oznrayCouple  over a year ago

helensburgh

there is also a little programe called window washer, it can be set to delete and over write, deleteing as people have said will not get ride of anything however overwriting does, the industry standard of wiping a hard drive is 7 times which window washer does, hope you get it sorted, only prob i see you haveing is do you have adnin rights to instal a prog to clean it?

A friend once spilled Irn Bru all over his keyboard and when he called to tell his insurance company to see where he could take it to see about getting it repaired, they said he probably shouldn't bother as Irn Bru seems to be one of the stickiest, most damaging liquids you can pour on a keyboard.

They just bought him a new laptop.

Inverclyde

"A friend once spilled Irn Bru all over his keyboard and when he called to tell his insurance company to see where he could take it to see about getting it repaired, they said he probably shouldn't bother as Irn Bru seems to be one of the stickiest, most damaging liquids you can pour on a keyboard.

They just bought him a new laptop."

Yeah it's not good, but the real killer is any kind of citrus juice, the acid content in orangejuice for example eats into the pcb's at an alarming rate

By *rallvalCouple  over a year ago

Dunfermline

" I tried to PM you but you've blocked males. Could you explain a wee bit more about running Linux from a memory stick?"

Sorry got some recent hassle from single guys demanding meets with fem despite us saying no single guys and then being a little abusive when we said no. Blocked single men, a little unfair on the good guys but we had to draw the line somewhere.

You can download a program called "Unetbootin" and run it. Choose a linux 'distro' from the list and choose the USB stick then let it download and install to the stick.

Failing that you can download a disk image and burn it to a CD.

Booting off the disk/stick effectively bypasses the hard drive.

» Add a new message to this topic