FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Honours List

Honours List

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *adlyDeeply OP   Couple  over a year ago

Bristol

Twice a year I despair when I hear highlights of these lists..

Monty Don and Kate Adey? FFS!

Let's keep these honours for those that give generously of their time helping others..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

I can see your point with Monty Don and the rewarding celebraties and football players for becoming millionaires for kicking a ball. But why the downer on Kate Adie? After all over the years she has covered some of the most violent of conflicts and harrowing of subjects, so surly if anyone is deserving of recognition she is.

Just my opinion.

Bristol

"I can see your point with Monty Don and the rewarding celebraties and football players for becoming millionaires for kicking a ball. But why the downer on Kate Adie? After all over the years she has covered some of the most violent of conflicts and harrowing of subjects, so surly if anyone is deserving of recognition she is.

Just my opinion."

OK I might give you that one but.. she is doing a job and rewarded for it. My general pint is honours should be for selfless sacrifice..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I can see your point with Monty Don and the rewarding celebraties and football players for becoming millionaires for kicking a ball. But why the downer on Kate Adie? After all over the years she has covered some of the most violent of conflicts and harrowing of subjects, so surly if anyone is deserving of recognition she is.

Just my opinion.

OK I might give you that one but.. she is doing a job and rewarded for it. My general pint is honours should be for selfless sacrifice.. "

In Kate Adey's case it could be to compensate for the gender pay gap...

moston

Now then, now then!

We must all know our place and pay due deference to the memories of...

Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile OBE KCSG.

Like everything honours get devalued over time. Maybe we should return to the original idea and meaning of a knighthood and demand that Sir Kenny Dalglish now raise a company of at least 100 'trusty' men at arms (from his own purse) to be lead by him and serve at the Crowns command. It would give the Regulars and TA a break from constantly staging on, and Sir Kenny (or Sir Don) could show their worth and metal in combat!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Kate Adey has put herself at greater risk for potential harm, so has made somewhat selfless contribution to society.

I think it would be far better to renew the balance, so that more ordinary members of society get rewarded, with even fewer celebrities.

I'm not impressed with failtrack bosses getting rewarded at this time either.

"Kate Adey has put herself at greater risk for potential harm, so has made somewhat selfless contribution to society.

I think it would be far better to renew the balance, so that more ordinary members of society get rewarded, with even fewer celebrities.

I'm not impressed with failtrack bosses getting rewarded at this time either."

Valid point, but what about the cameramen and sound engineers who were with her?

Bristol

"

"

Agreed. But it must always be for exceptional service, contribution etc..

"Now then, now then!

We must all know our place and pay due deference to the memories of...

Sir James Wilson Vincent Savile OBE KCSG.

Like everything honours get devalued over time. Maybe we should return to the original idea and meaning of a knighthood and demand that Sir Kenny Dalglish now raise a company of at least 100 'trusty' men at arms (from his own purse) to be lead by him and serve at the Crowns command. It would give the Regulars and TA a break from constantly staging on, and Sir Kenny (or Sir Don) could show their worth and metal in combat!

"

I think you will find Kennys award from his raising of funds for cancer charities and many other charities beside as he gives his time freely.

Also his work supporting the Hillsbourgh disaster families.

I don't think he would have trouble raising 200 men from Merseyside.

You picked the wrong target !!!!

moston

"I think you will find Kennys award from his raising of funds for cancer charities and many other charities beside as he gives his time freely.

You picked the wrong target !!!!"

You think...

I accept that he may have done many good things, but my point was I doubt he would be quite so willing to lead a charge into close quarters combat with sword and shield which was the original duty of a Knight of the Realm. Now I may be wrong about King Kenny, but I am quite sure the vast majority of lovies, celebrities and sports stars that get knighted would run a mile if handed a sword and told have at it for Queen and Country!

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

I have to suspend disbelief when I remember it is a fake birthday.

"I think you will find Kennys award from his raising of funds for cancer charities and many other charities beside as he gives his time freely.

You think...

I accept that he may have done many good things, but my point was I doubt he would be quite so willing to lead a charge into close quarters combat with sword and shield which was the original duty of a Knight of the Realm. Now I may be wrong about King Kenny, but I am quite sure the vast majority of lovies, celebrities and sports stars that get knighted would run a mile if handed a sword and told have at it for Queen and Country!"

It is purely a title, rank, or status nowadays.

I don't think HM The Queen would expect, or want, anyone she has knighted to lead a charge into close quarters combat with sword and shield, even those in the military.

By *os19Man  over a year ago

Edmonton

Although I am a Man Utd fan I have no problem with Kenny Dalglish been knighted if anything he should have got it years ago with everything he did regarding Hillsborough attending a lot of the funeral’s some of children , making sure Liverpool FC were represented if he couldn’t attend.All this must have taken it’s toll on him and his health.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Don't forget these are just the headliners. Many, many deserving local people have been rewarded for their hard work and dedication.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

Fuck, don't tell me I've missed out again?

Surely I deserve a gong for services to the Fab politics section?

I tell you, this country is going to shit.

By *andACouple  over a year ago

glasgow

Happy to hear that Kenneth Mathieson Dalgleish got one.

You think...

I accept that he may have done many good things, but my point was I doubt he would be quite so willing to lead a charge into close quarters combat with sword and shield which was the original duty of a Knight of the Realm. Now I may be wrong about King Kenny, but I am quite sure the vast majority of lovies, celebrities and sports stars that get knighted would run a mile if handed a sword and told have at it for Queen and Country!"

Even I think we have updated the honours system slightly since then !!!!

Bristol

Thanks for you contributions..

I can get Kenny’s knighthood, although why we should call anyone ‘Sir’ in this day and age is beyond me..

I also read last night that Stacey Dooley got and MBE..

"Thanks for you contributions..

I can get Kenny’s knighthood, although why we should call anyone ‘Sir’ in this day and age is beyond me..

I also read last night that Stacey Dooley got and MBE.. "

At work I call people sir !!!

Out of respect and politness.

If I am using the radio I address people as either sir or madam.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Thanks for you contributions..

I also read last night that Stacey Dooley got and MBE.. "

Stacey Dooley actually does a lot of good work highlighting problems in her documentaries.. they may not be the taste of everyone but she does a lot of charitable work around them

And as for the football players who got awarded.. I don’t begrudge kenny at all as his Hillsborough work is highlighted... and Jermaine Defoe and his charity foundation does loads for kids both here and in the Caribbean.... remember Bradley lowery by any chance?????

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Total load of bollocks just like the royal hangers on...

» Add a new message to this topic