FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Refugee saves young child in Paris.

Refugee saves young child in Paris.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rench letter OP   Couple  over a year ago

Chorley,

See this guy from Mali who was an illegal migrant is going to be given French citizen ship after he visited the french president macron after saving a young child from nearly falling from a balcony.

If that would have been our government and Thressa May he would have been on the first plane back after his heroic action.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Ffs get a life

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Nice story , good luck to him !

"See this guy from Mali who was an illegal migrant is going to be given French citizen ship after he visited the french president macron after saving a young child from nearly falling from a balcony.

If that would have been our government and Thressa May he would have been on the first plane back after his heroic action. "

It would be interesting to know how you came to that conclusion or for that matter the logic behind it.

Teressa May is a practical down to earth lady who is also a church going Christian. She would have shown the same compassion as President Macron.

By *urve BallWoman  over a year ago

North London

"See this guy from Mali who was an illegal migrant is going to be given French citizen ship after he visited the french president macron after saving a young child from nearly falling from a balcony.

If that would have been our government and Thressa May he would have been on the first plane back after his heroic action. It would be interesting to know how you came to that conclusion or for that matter the logic behind it.

Teressa May is a practical down to earth lady who is also a church going Christian. She would have shown the same compassion as President Macron. "

Um..so climb up balconies and save baby = here's a passport. But live here for decades after you were invited, after you've worked and paid taxes = here's a ticket back (oh, and you have to pay for it yourself).

Compassion maybe. Ruthlessness definitely.

yeah ... the christian compassion was oozing out of mrs maygabe when designed and implemented a policy which deported legal immigrants who had worked in the national health service for 35 years to a country where they were never born and never lived

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

If that would have been our government and Thressa May he would have been on the first plane back after his heroic action. It would be interesting to know how you came to that conclusion or for that matter the logic behind it.

Teressa May is a practical down to earth lady who is also a church going Christian. She would have shown the same compassion as President Macron. "

Hahahahahahahaha! Oh, Pat you are funny. Sometime I do wonder if you actually have any connection to this planet we live on at all. If anyone else wrote that, we’d probably all think it is tongue in cheek or satire. But, with you, I know that that is actually what you seriously think.

Bless you.

-Matt

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

How is la la land today..?

Teressa May is a practical down to earth lady who is also a church going Christian. She would have shown the same compassion as President Macron.

Hahahahahahahaha! Oh, Pat you are funny. Sometime I do wonder if you actually have any connection to this planet we live on at all. If anyone else wrote that, we’d probably all think it is tongue in cheek or satire. But, with you, I know that that is actually what you seriously think.

Bless you.

-Matt"

I guess you have never considered the fact that it is your opinion that might be out of sync. More people voted for her than any other party.

You do however prove one point very clearly. It is very easy to type on the internet statements that you would never say to someone's face in real life .

The only feedback that matters is what you receive in real life . That from cyberspace is irrelevant .

Bless you.

-Matt I guess you have never considered the fact that it is your opinion that might be out of sync. More people voted for her than any other party.

You do however prove one point very clearly. It is very easy to type on the internet statements that you would never say to someone's face in real life .

The only feedback that matters is what you receive in real life . That from cyberspace is irrelevant . "

The PM Theresa May we're on about?

The leader of the gov. the UN denounced for failing to protect disabled rights? That one?!

Though.. To be fair, who knows what May would have done

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

[Removed by poster at 29/05/18 15:50:41]

I don't know what May would or wouldn't have done ?

But Macron did the right thing and maybe we all should just be Happy that good things do happen !

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Theresa May implemented the policy of making a 'hostile environment' for foreigners in the UK, so it's seemingly not dissimilar from making him unwelcome, if he'd been an immigrant inside the UK and not France.

Barbados

Bless you.

-Matt I guess you have never considered the fact that it is your opinion that might be out of sync. More people voted for her than any other party.

The only feedback that matters is what you receive in real life . That from cyberspace is irrelevant . "

Oh don’t worry, I’d say the same to you face to face in real life. Or to May, to be honest. I know you don’t think ‘cyberspace’ is real life, but the people on here are very real people and very much exist in real life. You have several times said things along the lines of ‘well, it doesn’t matter what some people on a forum think’ as if you somehow think these people are not real. News flash: they are real. I’m sure you’ve met a number of them out in Cap. I treat people online and in real life equally. Both in my professional and personal life. Hence why I don’t think I’d get on well with you in real life. As either your remarks on here are not sincere and just trolling. Or even worse they are what you actually think in real life.

The was a regular chat user on here who was a complete pain in the arse on chat here and caused a lot of trouble. In the end I had to block her. She came bouncing up to me all cheery at a social and said ‘oh you blocked me on fab, I don’t think you like me’. ‘No.’ I replied and turned around and walked off.

I’ve never understood why people, like yourself, act/think differently online than in real life.

-Matt

Bless you.

The only feedback that matters is what you receive in real life . That from cyberspace is irrelevant .

Oh don’t worry, I’d say the same to you face to face in real life. Or to May, to be honest. I know you don’t think ‘cyberspace’ is real life, but the people on here are very real people and very much exist in real life. You have several times said things along the lines of ‘well, it doesn’t matter what some people on a forum think’ as if you somehow think these people are not real. News flash: they are real. I’m sure you’ve met a number of them out in Cap. I treat people online and in real life equally. Both in my professional and personal life. Hence why I don’t think I’d get on well with you in real life. As either your remarks on here are not sincere and just trolling. Or even worse they are what you actually think in real life.

The was a regular chat user on here who was a complete pain in the arse on chat here and caused a lot of trouble. In the end I had to block her. She came bouncing up to me all cheery at a social and said ‘oh you blocked me on fab, I don’t think you like me’. ‘No.’ I replied and turned around and walked off.

I’ve never understood why people, like yourself, act/think differently online than in real life.

-Matt"

We live in a free society and more people support the current prime minister than any other candidate. I am more than happy to give her my unconditional support. You are of course perfectly at liberty to sneer at her or anyone who gives her their support .

It is fairly common knowledge that many people who feel brave behind the keyboard are not so brave in real life .

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Bless you.

-Matt We live in a free society and more people support the current prime minister than any other candidate. I am more than happy to give her my unconditional support. You are of course perfectly at liberty to sneer at her or anyone who gives her their support .

It is fairly common knowledge that many people who feel brave behind the keyboard are not so brave in real life . "

I would not give any prime minister unconditional support where they are acting maliciously to harm people. May has form for this and it's reasonable to put country ahead of party or individual politicians - that's not the way she acts. Engaging in political discussion is also healthy, where people don't feel blindsided to unequivocal support of an ideology whatever its cost.

Barbados

Bless you.

-Matt We live in a free society and more people support the current prime minister than any other candidate. I am more than happy to give her my unconditional support. You are of course perfectly at liberty to sneer at her or anyone who gives her their support .

It is fairly common knowledge that many people who feel brave behind the keyboard are not so brave in real life . "

Look, you can support who you want. I’m not sneering at you for your support of her. I’m laughing at you because you think she is a ‘practical down to earth lady and a church going christian’. It’s like you are completely blind to the awful things she has done as both home sec and PM. It just shows your complete disconnect with reality. And the trying to use the fact that she lost a massive majority in her last election as some kind of reason why she should be supported. I’m not saying follow the crowd. Make your own mind up. But don’t point to the massive drop in support for her and try and say that it means she has more support than ever. The fact you give her your ‘unconditional support’ says it all. She could probably break into your house and shit on your carpet in front of you and you’d still think she is an upstanding Christian woman and you will support her regardless.

-Matt

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"I don't know what May would or wouldn't have done ?

But Macron did the right thing and maybe we all should just be Happy that good things do happen !"

Under the French constitution, a person can be given Honorary Citizenship if they perform an act ofvvalour, and the President has the power to grant this.

I'm not sure that the UK has the same mechanism, or the the PM has the same power.

Bless you.

It is fairly common knowledge that many people who feel brave behind the keyboard are not so brave in real life .

Look, you can support who you want. I’m not sneering at you for your support of her. I’m laughing at you because you think she is a ‘practical down to earth lady and a church going christian’. It’s like you are completely blind to the awful things she has done as both home sec and PM. It just shows your complete disconnect with reality. And the trying to use the fact that she lost a massive majority in her last election as some kind of reason why she should be supported. I’m not saying follow the crowd. Make your own mind up. But don’t point to the massive drop in support for her and try and say that it means she has more support than ever. The fact you give her your ‘unconditional support’ says it all. She could probably break into your house and shit on your carpet in front of you and you’d still think she is an upstanding Christian woman and you will support her regardless.

-Matt"

Theressa May doing awfull things as Home Secretary and Prime Minister . ??? . If this were the case and the electorate disagreed with her policies , she would hardly hve been re - elected as Prime Minister . If she were as bad as you are attempting to suggest why did none of the other parties come even close to beating her ?

A win is a win regardless of the size of the majority . As you have expressed concern at the size of her majority , she was probably penalised over the proposed dementia tax . Care of the elderly is probably one of the biggest issue that society faces in the future but people tend to ignore how it should be funded .

At least she made an attempt to address the issue .

By *entaur_UKMan  over a year ago

Cannock

Bless you.

-Matt"

Just for the record Theresa May actually got more votes in the last general election than David Cameron did in 2015. So there wasn't "a massive drop in support" as you suggest. Support for the Conservative party increased and returned more votes than they got in 2015 under Cameron. The only reason the majority in Parliament went down is because Corbyn managed to mobilise the youth vote better than Miliband did. Labours vote also went up more under Corbyn than Miliband managed in 2015. The fact is both Labour and the Conservatives increased their overall number of votes at the last general election compared to 2015.

North London

" (...)

Just for the record Theresa May actually got more votes in the last general election than David Cameron did in 2015. So there wasn't "a massive drop in support" as you suggest. Support for the Conservative party increased and returned more votes than they got in 2015 under Cameron. The only reason the majority in Parliament went down is because Corbyn managed to mobilise the youth vote better than Miliband did. Labours vote also went up more under Corbyn than Miliband managed in 2015. The fact is both Labour and the Conservatives increased their overall number of votes at the last general election compared to 2015. "

Only because of Ukip's collapse. They went back to were they left from (even in part). Nothing to do with May as a leader/person. If anything, I'd say she repelled voters, rather than attracting them. In fact, imo, no party leader atm is strong PM material.

" (...)

Just for the record Theresa May actually got more votes in the last general election than David Cameron did in 2015. So there wasn't "a massive drop in support" as you suggest. Support for the Conservative party increased and returned more votes than they got in 2015 under Cameron. The only reason the majority in Parliament went down is because Corbyn managed to mobilise the youth vote better than Miliband did. Labours vote also went up more under Corbyn than Miliband managed in 2015. The fact is both Labour and the Conservatives increased their overall number of votes at the last general election compared to 2015.

Only because of Ukip's collapse. They went back to were they left from (even in part). Nothing to do with May as a leader/person. If anything, I'd say she repelled voters, rather than attracting them. In fact, imo, no party leader atm is strong PM material."

Tottally agree !

Funny how it's forgotten just how many votes UKIP were getting at Peak .!

Barbados

Bless you.

-Matt

Just for the record Theresa May actually got more votes in the last general election than David Cameron did in 2015. So there wasn't "a massive drop in support" as you suggest. Support for the Conservative party increased and returned more votes than they got in 2015 under Cameron. The only reason the majority in Parliament went down is because Corbyn managed to mobilise the youth vote better than Miliband did. Labours vote also went up more under Corbyn than Miliband managed in 2015. The fact is both Labour and the Conservatives increased their overall number of votes at the last general election compared to 2015. "

Her party had much greater proportion of the vote before her failed snap election than after it. That is a drop in support.

But funny how leave voters decide absolute numbers mean something when it suits them.

-Matt

Barbados

Bless you.

-Matt Theressa May doing awfull things as Home Secretary and Prime Minister . ??? . If this were the case and the electorate disagreed with her policies , she would hardly hve been re - elected as Prime Minister . If she were as bad as you are attempting to suggest why did none of the other parties come even close to beating her ?

A win is a win regardless of the size of the majority . As you have expressed concern at the size of her majority , she was probably penalised over the proposed dementia tax . Care of the elderly is probably one of the biggest issue that society faces in the future but people tend to ignore how it should be funded .

At least she made an attempt to address the issue . "

Yes, awful things. Snoopers charter, hostile environment, ‘go home’ vans. Just for starters. I mean even members of her own party were taking her to the ECJ. Davis had to take his name off the case as it was a bit embarrassing that he’d just been selected to lead our crash out of the EU.... bit bad to then be suing your own boss after he just ‘promoted’ you.

As for her being re-elected as PM, you might not be aware in your la la land, but we don’t elect a PM. We elect the party. And for many they have been brainwashed into thinking the the Tories are good for the economy.

-Matt

in Lancashire

Bless you.

-Matt Theressa May doing awfull things as Home Secretary and Prime Minister . ??? . If this were the case and the electorate disagreed with her policies , she would hardly hve been re - elected as Prime Minister . If she were as bad as you are attempting to suggest why did none of the other parties come even close to beating her ?

At least she made an attempt to address the issue . "

Politically you are either naive or your idealogy is so extreme that it has twisted your judgement and common sense from the reality that is evident in the tory Party at present..

May was a dead dog walking post the loss of the majority and having to bribe the Dup to jeep the tories in power..

It's only brexit that's keeping her there, she knows it and so do the 1922 committee and when it's right for them regardless of what that means for the UK she is gone..

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

I loved the news that this man has now been given a job with the fire service. Shows real maturity and grown up thinking on the part of the French. Good on them!

Bless you.

Yes, awful things. Snoopers charter, hostile environment, ‘go home’ vans. Just for starters. I mean even members of her own party were taking her to the ECJ. Davis had to take his name off the case as it was a bit embarrassing that he’d just been selected to lead our crash out of the EU.... bit bad to then be suing your own boss after he just ‘promoted’ you.

As for her being re-elected as PM, you might not be aware in your la la land, but we don’t elect a PM. We elect the party. And for many they have been brainwashed into thinking the the Tories are good for the economy.

-Matt"

Brainwashed ? Under the current government unemployment is at one of its lowest levels ever and we have vibrant economy..Nothing to do with being brainwashed. It is the electorate voting for the party that is best for the country overall.

Bless you.

Politically you are either naive or your idealogy is so extreme that it has twisted your judgement and common sense from the reality that is evident in the tory Party at present..

May was a dead dog walking post the loss of the majority and having to bribe the Dup to jeep the tories in power..

It's only brexit that's keeping her there, she knows it and so do the 1922 committee and when it's right for them regardless of what that means for the UK she is gone..

"

I do not think anyone had to be too concerned about supporting a prime minister whose party achieved a better result than any other party .

The so called bribe was a fully transparent transaction for the benefit of every resident in Nortern Ireland regardless of which party they support.

I never place much emphasis on opinion polls but recent ones suggest her popularity has increased .

In any event the only result that matters is that returned on the day of the election .

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"

Her party had much greater proportion of the vote before her failed snap election than after it. That is a drop in support.

But funny how leave voters decide absolute numbers mean something when it suits them.

-Matt"

2015 tory votes 11,334,226 &36.9 % of the vote

2017 tory votes13,636,684 & 42.4 % of the votes.

Where in your tiny mind does that equate to the truth

in Lancashire

Bless you.

I do not think anyone had to be too concerned about supporting a prime minister whose party achieved a better result than any other party .

The so called bribe was a fully transparent transaction for the benefit of every resident in Nortern Ireland regardless of which party they support.

I never place much emphasis on opinion polls but recent ones suggest her popularity has increased .

In any event the only result that matters is that returned on the day of the election . "

Still obviously oblivious to the situation..

"

-Matt

Where in your tiny mind does that equate to the truth"

An interesting statistic and thank you for taking the time to post this information

Cannock

"

-Matt

Exactly as I said in my earlier post then. The hard data and the numbers point to an overall increase in support for the Conservative party at the last general election compared to 2015 under Cameron. Not a drop in support as the deluded Matt falsely posted earlier in the thread. You can't argue with the facts and the hard data from the numbers posted.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Ffs get a life "

[Removed by poster at 30/05/18 23:13:44]

Bless you.

-Matt Brainwashed ? Under the current government unemployment is at one of its lowest levels ever and we have vibrant economy..Nothing to do with being brainwashed. It is the electorate voting for the party that is best for the country overall. "

'Vibrant' is an over exaggeration , as for employment figures; bear in mind when you have employed people visiting food banks (including some nhs staff) zero hr insecure low paid jobs, plus dwp figures being massaged (sanctions being on a course or workplscement your dis-counted) then the figures you mention are a tad flawed

Oh and btw if your disabled /infirm or vulnerable in this country, god help you with tories in chsrge all they look out for is themsrlves and their rich mates

Barbados

"

-Matt

2015: Tory seats 331

2017: Tory seats 318

There.

She called the election of her own free will in order to gain an larger majority in the House of Commons. She managed to lose her majority to a point she had to bribe the DUP in order to actually form a government.

I call that losing support.

-Matt

in Lancashire

"

-Matt

There.

She called the election of her own free will in order to gain an larger majority in the House of Commons. She managed to lose her majority to a point she had to bribe the DUP in order to actually form a government.

-Matt"

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt"

A rise in the percentage vote from 37 % to 42 % is quite an achievement.

I would have thought that the issue which you want to address is why no other party can achieve this degree of success.

bournemouth

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt"

Are you Diane Abbott in disguise?

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt A rise in the percentage vote from 37 % to 42 % is quite an achievement.

I would have thought that the issue which you want to address is why no other party can achieve this degree of success. "

Open to opinion...

You call the election a massive victory, i call it May thinking she'd win, didn't and a desperate bid to keep in no. 10 by bribing dodgy DUP an unmitigated disaster.

"

-Matt

There.

I would have thought that the issue which you want to address is why no other party can achieve this degree of success. "

Oy! Express, why can't you admkt reality and not Theresa "trainwreck's" reality

Barbados

"

-Matt

There.

In which case Labour’s rise in percentage vote from 30% to 40% is an even more impressive achievement. They managed twice the increase in percentage terms than Conservatives did.

-Matt

Barbados

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt

Are you Diane Abbott in disguise? "

No. Why?

-Matt

bournemouth

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt

No. Why?

-Matt"

Well you seem to have the same maths skill set, an increase in the number of votes and an increase in the percentage of those votes, that is NOT a loss of support, yes JC won more seats and TM lost seats due to the ukip and lib vote going down and back to labour more than to the tories but spin it however you like TM won more votes than DC did, which considering her crap campaign is some achievement, a bit like trump beating clinton, it says as much about the opposition as it does those two

"

-Matt

There.

I would have thought that the issue which you want to address is why no other party can achieve this degree of success.

In which case Labour’s rise in percentage vote from 30% to 40% is an even more impressive achievement. They managed twice the increase in percentage terms than Conservatives did.

-Matt"

However it is probably fairly easy to improve if it is from a low start point .

In any event the only result that matters are the number of seats that you return on the day.

She gave all the other parties an unrivalled opportunity to kick her out of office but they failed to do so. They could not even come close.

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt However it is probably fairly easy to improve if it is from a low start point .

In any event the only result that matters are the number of seats that you return on the day.

She gave all the other parties an unrivalled opportunity to kick her out of office but they failed to do so. They could not even come close.

"

true, BUT....

"they not even coming close" would be a resounding victory, but it wasn't! If it was then the tories wouldn't need to buy the DUP, be held to randsom by them and have a narrow lead of seats in parliament .

Barbados

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt However it is probably fairly easy to improve if it is from a low start point .

"

It was close enough that she didn’t have enough of a majority to form a government!

-Matt

Barbados

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt

No. Why?

-Matt

Well you seem to have the same maths skill set, an increase in the number of votes and an increase in the percentage of those votes, that is NOT a loss of support, yes JC won more seats and TM lost seats due to the ukip and lib vote going down and back to labour more than to the tories but spin it however you like TM won more votes than DC did, which considering her crap campaign is some achievement, a bit like trump beating clinton, it says as much about the opposition as it does those two"

I’ve never claimed she had less votes than Cameron or anyone else. I just said she had a massive drop in support. Which if you look at the state of affairs before and after her snap election is pretty clear.

But my original point was really taking issue with Pat’s quaint naivity in thinking that because she is a ‘good Christian lady’ that she deserves his unquestioning support. Despite all the horrific things she has done that have shown just how mean and nasty and self-serving her and the Conservative party are. Just shows an inability to apply critical thinking. Not even an inability in fact, it is more an unwillingness.

-Matt

North London

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt

No. Why?

-Matt

Well you seem to have the same maths skill set, an increase in the number of votes and an increase in the percentage of those votes, that is NOT a loss of support, yes JC won more seats and TM lost seats due to the ukip and lib vote going down and back to labour more than to the tories but spin it however you like TM won more votes than DC did, which considering her crap campaign is some achievement, a bit like trump beating clinton, it says as much about the opposition as it does those two"

The ukip vote went more to Labour than the Tories?! What are you smoking?!

bournemouth

"

-Matt

There.

-Matt

No. Why?

-Matt

Well you seem to have the same maths skill set, an increase in the number of votes and an increase in the percentage of those votes, that is NOT a loss of support, yes JC won more seats and TM lost seats due to the ukip and lib vote going down and back to labour more than to the tories but spin it however you like TM won more votes than DC did, which considering her crap campaign is some achievement, a bit like trump beating clinton, it says as much about the opposition as it does those two

The ukip vote went more to Labour than the Tories?! What are you smoking?! "

Sorry didnt read how I meant it, the analysis that I saw showed that more of the COMBINED ukip and lib vote went to labour, of course there was a fair bit of tactical voting too,mind how these experts know how anyone voted is beyond me, a friend of mine who is to the left of JC voted lib to try and unseat a tory MP

bournemouth

"

I’ve never claimed she had less votes than Cameron or anyone else. I just said she had a massive drop in support. Which if you look at the state of affairs before and after her snap election is pretty clear.

But my original point was really taking issue with Pat’s quaint naivity in thinking that because she is a ‘good Christian lady’ that she deserves his unquestioning support. Despite all the horrific things she has done that have shown just how mean and nasty and self-serving her and the Conservative party are. Just shows an inability to apply critical thinking. Not even an inability in fact, it is more an unwillingness.

-Matt

"

So gaining more than 2 million extra votes is a massive drop in support

Barbados

"

-Matt

So gaining more than 2 million extra votes is a massive drop in support "

OK. Let me try again slower this time.

The conservatives had 331 seats in 2015. Then May held a snap election to bolster her support in the house of commons... and resulted in conservatives having 318 after. A smaller number. Fewer seats. Less power. So much less that in fact she didn't have enough to form a working government. She did this voluntarily.

Yes, you can argue that conservatives had a higher number of votes in absolute terms. So did Labour. And yes, Labour got a greater increase than Conservatives. So again, in terms of a move to gain support it failed. Miserably. As already pointed out, much of it was UKIP supporters who, upon realising the futility of voting UKIP, voted Tory.

This isn't even mentioning the lack of support she has in her own party, and how they are all lining up to take her place. Only thing stopping them is the poison chalice of Brexit.

-Matt

bournemouth

"

The conservatives had 331 seats in 2015. Then May held a snap election to bolster her support in the house of commons... and resulted in conservatives having 318 after. A smaller number. Fewer seats. Less power. So much less that in fact she didn't have enough to form a working government. She did this voluntarily.

Yes, you can argue that conservatives had a higher number of votes in absolute terms. So did Labour. And yes, Labour got a greater increase than Conservatives. So again, in terms of a move to gain support it failed. Miserably. As already pointed out, much of it was UKIP supporters who, upon realising the futility of voting UKIP, voted Tory.

This isn't even mentioning the lack of support she has in her own party, and how they are all lining up to take her place. Only thing stopping them is the poison chalice of Brexit.

-Matt"

So you accept she got a higher number of votes and a higher percentage of votes cast that is more support. You are right that she lost seats and the majority that the tories had but that is not suppport,that is the power to govern, support is votes by individuals. Spin it how you like, when in a hole stop digging

Cannock

"

-Matt

So you accept she got a higher number of votes and a higher percentage of votes cast that is more support. You are right that she lost seats and the majority that the tories had but that is not suppport,that is the power to govern, support is votes by individuals. Spin it how you like, when in a hole stop digging"

Absolutely spot on, 2 million extra votes compared to 2015, and a rise in percentage from 37% of the vote in 2015 to 42% of the vote is an increase in support.

North London

@robka4 and @Poi_Lucy:

It would be helpful, in order to possibly have a better understanding, if we knew the total amount of votes cast (all parties) in 2015 and the same for the snap election.

If more people voted in the snap election, then the increased "support" could purely be because more people voted on that election, as opposed to Tories doing better than 2015 through increased support by the same number of voters as in 2015.

Though I still think that the increased support came from the ukip vote that left Tories in 2015 to vote ukip and then came back again for the snap election because of ukip's collapse.

Btw, I think (in combination with other factors) the Tories' mistake was that they run a type of "presidential" campaign for the snap election. "Vote for May" in huge letters and in small letters in the background "the conservative party". Had they not done that, I think they'd have gotten more votes.

North London

*_obka3

(sorry, I added an extra 1 )

bournemouth

"@robka4 and @Poi_Lucy:

It would be helpful, in order to possibly have a better understanding, if we knew the total amount of votes cast (all parties) in 2015 and the same for the snap election.

If more people voted in the snap election, then the increased "support" could purely be because more people voted on that election, as opposed to Tories doing better than 2015 through increased support by the same number of voters as in 2015.

Though I still think that the increased support came from the ukip vote that left Tories in 2015 to vote ukip and then came back again for the snap election because of ukip's collapse.

Btw, I think (in combination with other factors) the Tories' mistake was that they run a type of "presidential" campaign for the snap election. "Vote for May" in huge letters and in small letters in the background "the conservative party". Had they not done that, I think they'd have gotten more votes. "

in 2015 there was 46354197 voters of which 66.4 % voted =30779186 votes, in 2017 there was 46835433 of which 69 % voted = 32316488 votes which means there was 1537302 extra votes in 2017

North London

"@robka4 and @Poi_Lucy:

Btw, I think (in combination with other factors) the Tories' mistake was that they run a type of "presidential" campaign for the snap election. "Vote for May" in huge letters and in small letters in the background "the conservative party". Had they not done that, I think they'd have gotten more votes.

in 2015 there was 46354197 voters of which 66.4 % voted =30779186 votes, in 2017 there was 46835433 of which 69 % voted = 32316488 votes which means there was 1537302 extra votes in 2017"

As I was suspecting there was an increase in the voters.

Therefore, we're playing with the 1.5M new voters + the 3.3M that left ukip (3.8 in 2015 to 500thous in 2017) = 4.8M (+ lost votes from SNP, Lib Dems and Greens, which would make it a round 5M give or take).

IMO, the vast majority of the ukip vote went back to the Tories but even if we were to say that it was split 2/3 to Tories and 1/3 to Labour, that already more than makes the extra 2M the Tories got in 2017. I genuinely don't think it had anything to do with TM or Tory policy. It's just that there's no way right wing people would ever vote for anything other than a right wing party and with the absence of any other real choices for right wingers, the Tories got the vote almost by default. It would have been an increase in support and success if they'd gotten ukip's 3.8M back + a proportion of the 1.5M of the new voters. I think it makes sense...

bournemouth

"@robka4 and @Poi_Lucy:

in 2015 there was 46354197 voters of which 66.4 % voted =30779186 votes, in 2017 there was 46835433 of which 69 % voted = 32316488 votes which means there was 1537302 extra votes in 2017

As I was suspecting there was an increase in the voters.

Therefore, we're playing with the 1.5M new voters + the 3.3M that left ukip (3.8 in 2015 to 500thous in 2017) = 4.8M (+ lost votes from SNP, Lib Dems and Greens, which would make it a round 5M give or take).

IMO, the vast majority of the ukip vote went back to the Tories but even if we were to say that it was split 2/3 to Tories and 1/3 to Labour, that already more than makes the extra 2M the Tories got in 2017. I genuinely don't think it had anything to do with TM or Tory policy. It's just that there's no way right wing people would ever vote for anything other than a right wing party and with the absence of any other real choices for right wingers, the Tories got the vote almost by default. It would have been an increase in support and success if they'd gotten ukip's 3.8M back + a proportion of the 1.5M of the new voters. I think it makes sense..."

Yes there is a valid point there, but it could be argued that tory europhiles would have in some places voted lib totry and stop brexitand perhaps some ukip voters went tory because they beleived it was the best way to ensure brexit, and of course just as many labour voters wouldnt vote anything other than red as blue would always vote tory. The truth is just as in the brexit vote each voter votes for their own reason and no one can make anything other than a guess as to why each voter votes they way they do

Disgraful comments from some here. As a child of a refugee I don't want to be judged of I'm from a refugee, migrant or British. It doesn't define how I act.

But compassion from a conservative is pretty lame. They show support for the worst dictators in the world. The only compassion I seen was from JC in the 70s campaigning for human rights in Chile while Thatcher had tea with the dictator taking notes how to apply it to the British people... Democratically.

» Add a new message to this topic