FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Germany reintroduces border checks

Germany reintroduces border checks

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *irldn OP   Couple 4 days ago

Brighton

So…that lack of sovereignty by being a member of the EU!!!!

“Germany’s decision to reintroduce border control from Monday is sending shockwaves across the European Union, with critics denouncing the move as “unacceptable” and accusing the government of panicking in the face of domestic political pressure.

The passport-free Schengen zone is widely seen in the EU as one of the bloc’s greatest achievements, allowing 420 million people to travel seamlessly across the continent without the hassle of border controls or customs checks.

But this signature policy is now under threat as Germany prepares to reintroduce controls at all its land borders from Monday. The restrictions are expected to stay in place until mid-March.

Dirk Wiese, a parliamentarian with Olaf Scholz’s centre-left Social Democratic Party (SPD) in the Bundestag insisted that the new controls are justified. “The governing coalition has presented effective and legally secure proposals to further reduce irregular migration in our country,” he told i.

“Our proposals are appropriate and will better enforce rejections at the German borders. We are targeting threats such as Islamist terrorism and violent crime even more intensively. Quickly, consistently, and sustainably.””

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 4 days ago

Gilfach

"So…that lack of sovereignty by being a member of the EU!!!!"

Let's see how the EU reacts to this, and whether they think that Germany has that right to sovereignty.

Brighton

"So…that lack of sovereignty by being a member of the EU!!!!

Let's see how the EU reacts to this, and whether they think that Germany has that right to sovereignty."

Indeed. But in reality what can they do?

By *oxychick35Couple 4 days ago

thornaby

Let's see how the EU reacts to this, and whether they think that Germany has that right to sovereignty."

ya couldn’t make it up lol

By *eroy1000Man 4 days ago

milton keynes

Member States do not seem as keen as Germany on this from what I read. Apparently some bordering countries with Germany already have border controls. I think this latest move puts borders up with the remaining neighbours, including France. The rise of certain political groups in Germany maybe a factor in this as well as 3 people being murdered by an asylum seeker. Temporary only borders are allowed in the EU as a last resort only to certain threats.

By *ostindreamsMan 4 days ago

London

I remember Denmark often doing border checks with Sweden because of criminals from Sweden. Those checks were temporary. I am not sure how long Germany will continue doing this. It looks like a last ditch measure by the government to try and woo the voter base.

If it is long term, EU will surely react to it. If they react to it, people will start questioning German sovereignty in this matter. If they don't react to it, EU will be criticised for treating Germany with leniency. It's going to be a fun few days for the EU.

By *unnertwoMan 4 days ago

Oxfordshire

To bloody late now

By *ronisMan 4 days ago

Edinburgh

They should never have been stopped. What idiot thought getting rid of border checks was a good idea? Recipe for disaster.

Brighton

"They should never have been stopped. What idiot thought getting rid of border checks was a good idea? Recipe for disaster. "

I guess the idea was the border of the EU as a whole should serve the purpose rather than the member state borders.

London

"They should never have been stopped. What idiot thought getting rid of border checks was a good idea? Recipe for disaster.

I guess the idea was the border of the EU as a whole should serve the purpose rather than the member state borders."

It's a step towards making EU a political organisation instead of it just being an economic union.

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

"They should never have been stopped. What idiot thought getting rid of border checks was a good idea? Recipe for disaster.

I guess the idea was the border of the EU as a whole should serve the purpose rather than the member state borders.

It's a step towards making EU a political organisation instead of it just being an economic union."

I’m convinced they’re already there, it’s Joe Public who need to catch on

By *ronisMan 4 days ago

Edinburgh

I guess the idea was the border of the EU as a whole should serve the purpose rather than the member state borders."

They guessed wrong.

By *ronisMan 4 days ago

Edinburgh

It's a step towards making EU a political organisation instead of it just being an economic union."

It was never about economics. Ever closer union means national governments having less power.

Brighton

It's a step towards making EU a political organisation instead of it just being an economic union.

It was never about economics. Ever closer union means national governments having less power."

Ah well a United States of Europe on our doorstep with almost 1/2 billion potential customers seems like something it might be good to have good relationships with

By *ronisMan 4 days ago

Edinburgh

It was never about economics. Ever closer union means national governments having less power.

Ah well a United States of Europe on our doorstep with almost 1/2 billion potential customers seems like something it might be good to have good relationships with "

What has political union got to do with trade or good relations?

London

Ah well a United States of Europe on our doorstep with almost 1/2 billion potential customers seems like something it might be good to have good relationships with "

Different people have different priorities I guess.

By *oubleswing2019Man 4 days ago

Colchester

Seems that Germany is placing their Federal Republic over and above EU Federalisation (Which is intra-governmental essentially). That's not how it's supposed to work. I don't understand what Germany are doing and why. It makes no sense.

Brighton

Ah well a United States of Europe on our doorstep with almost 1/2 billion potential customers seems like something it might be good to have good relationships with

What has political union got to do with trade or good relations?"

I’ll answer that when you explain on the other thread why Harris’ economic policies are analogous to Soviet/Venezuelan policies

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 days ago

Pershore

As far as I can see we're still trading with Europe and the relationship is fine. Where's the problem?

By *irldn OP   Couple 3 days ago

Brighton

As far as I can see we're still trading with Europe and the relationship is fine. Where's the problem?"

Never said we weren’t. But if anyone thinks that trade is frictionless like it was before they are living in cloud cuckoo land. The relationship was damaged by the Tories and Brexit. It needs a reset.

By *trueceltMan 3 days ago

Carms

I'm not a one world globalist or a little Englander but having travelled on the continental I quickly saw the complete sense of the Shengen zone. we went to France, Belgium and the Netherlands (before brexit obviously) and for people living there, it just made sense. to stop at each country's border would be a silly waste of time. free movement on the continent makes COMPLETE sense. anyway what can the EU gonna do now? fine Germany, sanction officials? fire diplomats? or just make Sholtz and the gang write out 'Ich liebe EU' a thousand times? I sure don't envy the week ahead for EU officials. ever tried arguing with a German? from personal experience I can say you might not lose the argument but that ain't the same as winning.

By *irldn OP   Couple 3 days ago

Brighton

" ever tried arguing with a German? from personal experience I can say you might not lose the argument but that ain't the same as winning"

That made me LOL as I totally get what you mean but couldn’t explain it. Like you walk away having thought you achieved all you wanted but are left with some nagging thoughts that it isn’t actually what just happened!

By *trueceltMan 3 days ago

Carms

" ever tried arguing with a German? from personal experience I can say you might not lose the argument but that ain't the same as winning

That made me LOL as I totally get what you mean but couldn’t explain it. Like you walk away having thought you achieved all you wanted but are left with some nagging thoughts that it isn’t actually what just happened!"

haha. it's artful in a way

» Add a new message to this topic