FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > 300 million fewer miles driven by buses per year

300 million fewer miles driven by buses per year

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *verageSausage OP   Man 1 week ago

Flintshire

Is this a good or bad thing?

Example 1:

In a 15 minute city, why is there any need for any buses since everywhere and everything is within a 15 minute walk or cycle ride.

Example 2:

If you live in a 15 minute city with only a Sainsbury and a Coop, what happens if you want to buy things from a Lidl and Tesco which are only located in another 15 minute city which is 50 miles away from you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *melie LALWoman 1 week ago

Peterborough

Ignoring examples, it's bad if bus journeys are being replaced by millions and millions of miles in cars.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan 1 week ago

Not exactly sure what the true meaning of a 15 minute city is,

Large cities are technically 15 min cities as most large shops are within that distance, but not everyone can walk cycle 15 minutes, If another shop is more then 15 minutes away use public transport or drive

By *oubleswing2019Man 1 week ago

Colchester

For those familiar with 2000AD, and Mega City One, the whole concept of a "Block" (aka Hab Block) was in essence the 15-min city built upwards.

Each building is a housing project tower that houses entire cities' worth of residents, some numbering in the hundreds of thousands. Hundreds of floors high. Blocks contain shopping malls, parks, food courts and other amenities the residents might need.

In theory, you could be born, work, retire and then die, never needing to leave your own block. Every single municipal service was in your own block.

Blocks had their own peculiar challenges (Block Wars !) where the residents of one block went to war with another block nearby (many blocks were connected to each other in the MC-1).

I should imagine that is where the concept for Fallout may have came as well. Born in your Vault, live, work and die in your Vault.

I do find it somewhat appealing that everything I might ever possibly need is pragmatically located no more than 15 mins away from me and my abode. Online deliveries can bring the rest as its not important where they are located if they deliver.

For those who like a little "tourism", these Blocks had their own resorts, beaches, immense Disney-world type amusement parks, zoos, museums, theatres, cinemas, and so on and so forth.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 1 week ago

Central

[Removed by poster at 09/09/24 20:50:13]

By *ophieslutTV/TS 1 week ago

Central

We need to reduce our dependency on oil, as well as improving public health. Public transport, which increasingly have been less dependent on oil, should be a greater focus, for when people need transport. Guideline 15 minutes cities aren't boundaries that everyone is forced to stay within, they're merely supportive of people being able to be more sustained by local services, which can help to reduce our car use and dependency. People are more inclined to stay locally, as well as to walk more, if they can get to what they need, within a few minutes.

There has been false promotion of 15 minutes cities, by grifters and politicians, hungry for money, power and control of the public, often a duplicate of what they complain about others doing

The former central governments cut £billions from local council budgets, which fund bus services, which has helped to drive bus service cuts . Often the only tool that many have to prevent a decline in their social engagement as well as potentially to engage in a working life that's more profitable and fulfilling, is a good bus service.

We should be alarmed with many public services being cut, as well as anything that will push towards greater car use.

By *ostindreamsMan 1 week ago

London

I thought the 300 million per year drop was for a single year. Apparently it's the difference between 2010 and now. It's hard to say anything of value based on this statistic in isolation.

By *exy_HornyCouple 1 week ago

Leigh

Bus use has been decimated by privatisation as the private companies have concentrated on profitable routes. This is worse outside major metropolitan areas.

Even where we live, where the Mayor has brought buses back under his control, if we want to travel within Greater Manchester there is a bus every 7 to 9 minutes all day. Want to travel elsewhere, e.g. Warrington, then you may need to wait an hour. Within the area it is cheap, outside it is not as you need multiple tickets.

Notwithstanding the above, the plans haven't been radical enough. I think council tax should be increased by £500 per household, then all public transport should be free. Also, the network should be as good for out of area travel as within.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 1 week ago

Border of London

"...all public transport should be free. Also, the network should be as good for out of area travel as within."

Lots of free but (mostly) empty buses? Doesn't sound like a good thing.

Could drive up rural property prices, at the expense of a lot of angry urbanites, who would never vote for that party again.

By *irldnCouple 1 week ago

Brighton

"Bus use has been decimated by privatisation as the private companies have concentrated on profitable routes. This is worse outside major metropolitan areas.

Even where we live, where the Mayor has brought buses back under his control, if we want to travel within Greater Manchester there is a bus every 7 to 9 minutes all day. Want to travel elsewhere, e.g. Warrington, then you may need to wait an hour. Within the area it is cheap, outside it is not as you need multiple tickets.

Notwithstanding the above, the plans haven't been radical enough. I think council tax should be increased by £500 per household, then all public transport should be free. Also, the network should be as good for out of area travel as within."

Unusually left wing of you

By *irldnCouple 1 week ago

Brighton

"For those familiar with 2000AD, and Mega City One, the whole concept of a "Block" (aka Hab Block) was in essence the 15-min city built upwards.

Each building is a housing project tower that houses entire cities' worth of residents, some numbering in the hundreds of thousands. Hundreds of floors high. Blocks contain shopping malls, parks, food courts and other amenities the residents might need.

In theory, you could be born, work, retire and then die, never needing to leave your own block. Every single municipal service was in your own block.

Blocks had their own peculiar challenges (Block Wars !) where the residents of one block went to war with another block nearby (many blocks were connected to each other in the MC-1).

I should imagine that is where the concept for Fallout may have came as well. Born in your Vault, live, work and die in your Vault.

I do find it somewhat appealing that everything I might ever possibly need is pragmatically located no more than 15 mins away from me and my abode. Online deliveries can bring the rest as its not important where they are located if they deliver.

For those who like a little "tourism", these Blocks had their own resorts, beaches, immense Disney-world type amusement parks, zoos, museums, theatres, cinemas, and so on and so forth.

"

And needed Judges like Dredd who went around executing perps!

Leigh

"Bus use has been decimated by privatisation as the private companies have concentrated on profitable routes. This is worse outside major metropolitan areas.

Notwithstanding the above, the plans haven't been radical enough. I think council tax should be increased by £500 per household, then all public transport should be free. Also, the network should be as good for out of area travel as within.

Unusually left wing of you "

Not really, the essentials of life should be state owned and run. Power, energy, water, communication etc.

Public transport should also be just that. It can't be run privately, or for profit, as market forces will leave it in the mess it is currently in.

Leigh

"...all public transport should be free. Also, the network should be as good for out of area travel as within.

Lots of free but (mostly) empty buses? Doesn't sound like a good thing.

Could drive up rural property prices, at the expense of a lot of angry urbanites, who would never vote for that party again."

Why would the buses be empty? An integrated system would ensure buses are where they are needed.

This doesn't currently happen due to lack of management ability.

By *I TwoCouple 1 week ago

currently travelling down W France

We drove 10 miles yesterday into Belfast and parked for 3 hours. Petrol and parking was cheaper than one bus return ticket.... And just over half of one train return ticket...

And even if we'd have got the bus we live 2 miles from the nearest bus stop or rail station so we need the car to get there.

That's why busses are shite

By *oubleswing2019Man 1 week ago

Colchester

"We drove 10 miles yesterday into Belfast and parked for 3 hours. Petrol and parking was cheaper than one bus return ticket.... And just over half of one train return ticket...

And even if we'd have got the bus we live 2 miles from the nearest bus stop or rail station so we need the car to get there.

That's why busses are shite"

And it's things like this which are not encouraging people to move to the buses. not when it's cheaper and more convenient to use a car. That policy is not very helpful to the environment if everyone is doing it, instead of using public transport, is it ?

» Add a new message to this topic