FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Smoking could be banned in UK’s pub gardens and outdoor restaurants

Smoking could be banned in UK’s pub gardens and outdoor restaurants

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man 3 weeks ago

nearby

To include outdoor restaurants, outside hospitals and at sports grounds in the UK under tighter restrictions being considered by ministers, according to leaked documents.

The measures are being proposed as part of a tougher version of the previous government’s tobacco and vapes bill, which would prohibit the sale of tobacco to people born on or after January 2009.

Nanny state, or sensible approach to save peoples health and the £20bn odd annual cost to the nhs (10%+ nhs budget).

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

Statista:

“In 2023/24, tobacco duty tax receipts in the United Kingdom amounted to approximately 8.8 billion British pounds, compared with ten billion pounds in the previous financial year.”

So if your £20bn a year cost to NHS for treating smoking related illness is correct, then I am all for a complete ban to save taxpayers £13bn (ish) a year

By *melie LALWoman 3 weeks ago

Peterborough

"To include outdoor restaurants, outside hospitals and at sports grounds in the UK under tighter restrictions being considered by ministers, according to leaked documents.

The measures are being proposed as part of a tougher version of the previous government’s tobacco and vapes bill, which would prohibit the sale of tobacco to people born on or after January 2009.

Nanny state, or sensible approach to save peoples health and the £20bn odd annual cost to the nhs (10%+ nhs budget). "

Smoking is not allowed on the grounds of nhs properties already. It's actually part of mandatory fire safety training.

By *ty31Man 3 weeks ago

NW London

If this extends to pub gardens and doorways I can see this potentially backfiring in two ways- loss of revenue for pubs and no decrease in smoking (people staying home to drink could light up indoors- maybe people smoke less in pubs/bars/restaurants due to needing to go outdoors to do it).

Also, I do wonder how practical it will be to enforce. There aren't so many police on the beat anymore and those that are quite possibly have more important thing to do?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

If only politicians were as concerned about safeguarding our liberty and choices.

I'm tired of things being banned or prohibited by the state while all the time trying to pretend they're looking after us. Try looking after freedom and leave people alone to make informed choices.

By (user no longer on site) 3 weeks ago

Outside hospitals is sensible, same goes for restaurants with tables outdoors. It probably won't affect pub beer gardens as they aren't regularly used for consuming food in. Media will naturally say all pubs will shut though because they like to spread fear and uncertainty, because media are wankers.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Central

Prohibition isn't the ideal approach

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Prohibition isn't the ideal approach "

Of course it is. Don't you recall the prohibition in the states years ago? A roaring success.

Not.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Outside hospitals is sensible, same goes for restaurants with tables outdoors. It probably won't affect pub beer gardens as they aren't regularly used for consuming food in. Media will naturally say all pubs will shut though because they like to spread fear and uncertainty, because media are wankers."

I'd say politicians are bigger tossers. If they didn't come up with all these ridiculous ideas and constantly try to control everyone and what they do the press would have nothing to be 'wankers' about.

By *ouple4voyeurCouple 3 weeks ago

Birmingham

Next they will work on heart disease bringing in extortionate taxes on fast foods places etc.

Let's all wrap up in cotton wool to save unnecessary NHS visits. Saving NHS even more £££'s. Only eat rabbit wood and drink water.😴😴😴😴😴😴

By *immyinreadingMan 3 weeks ago

henley on thames

"If only politicians were as concerned about safeguarding our liberty and choices.

I'm tired of things being banned or prohibited by the state while all the time trying to pretend they're looking after us. Try looking after freedom and leave people alone to make informed choices. "

Smoking in public impacts other people, to varying extents. It’s not just about people making “informed choices”.

henley on thames

"Prohibition isn't the ideal approach

Of course it is. Don't you recall the prohibition in the states years ago? A roaring success.

Not."

Different thing …!

henley on thames

"Outside hospitals is sensible, same goes for restaurants with tables outdoors. It probably won't affect pub beer gardens as they aren't regularly used for consuming food in. Media will naturally say all pubs will shut though because they like to spread fear and uncertainty, because media are wankers.

I'd say politicians are bigger tossers. If they didn't come up with all these ridiculous ideas and constantly try to control everyone and what they do the press would have nothing to be 'wankers' about."

I think you underestimate the press there!

henley on thames

"Next they will work on heart disease bringing in extortionate taxes on fast foods places etc.

Let's all wrap up in cotton wool to save unnecessary NHS visits. Saving NHS even more £££'s. Only eat rabbit wood and drink water.😴😴😴😴😴😴

"

I refuse to eat rabbit wood

nearby

It’s unfair that all these lifestyle choices are putting unnecessary pressure on the nhs

Obesity, smoking, alcoholism and drug mis use treatment

Blame the nhs is all we here from salad dodgers

Peterborough

"Next they will work on heart disease bringing in extortionate taxes on fast foods places etc.

"

Rabbit wood

By *atEvolutionCouple 3 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Best wait and see what 'actually' is banned - then we can have a good tattle about it, lol

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"If only politicians were as concerned about safeguarding our liberty and choices.

I'm tired of things being banned or prohibited by the state while all the time trying to pretend they're looking after us. Try looking after freedom and leave people alone to make informed choices.

Smoking in public impacts other people, to varying extents. It’s not just about people making “informed choices”. "

Then don't sit near them. If it's a smoking area and someone doesn't smoke they can choose to stay away.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Not.

Different thing …!"

Explain.

Prohibition means to prohibit. Ban.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"It’s unfair that all these lifestyle choices are putting unnecessary pressure on the nhs

Obesity, smoking, alcoholism and drug mis use treatment

Blame the nhs is all we here from salad dodgers "

These salad Dodgers, as puritans like you call them, pay for the nhs through taxation.

Brighton

Rabbit wood "

Is that why they fuck like rabbits?

Brighton

Wonder whether MPs and Peers are allowed to smoke on the HoP terrace? Assume they will ban that too?

henley on thames

Smoking in public impacts other people, to varying extents. It’s not just about people making “informed choices”.

Then don't sit near them. If it's a smoking area and someone doesn't smoke they can choose to stay away.

"

Public smoking is not zero impact. Smoke, cigarette butts etc. not just a case of “don’t sit near them”.

henley on thames

Not.

Different thing …!

Explain.

Prohibition means to prohibit. Ban."

Very different situations.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Public smoking is not zero impact. Smoke, cigarette butts etc. not just a case of “don’t sit near them”. "

Cigarette butts? What are you on about? Wgaf about fgs butts?

Smoke tends to....disperse.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Not.

Different thing …!

Explain.

Prohibition means to prohibit. Ban.

Very different situations. "

Same outcome. It's banned. Prohibited. Not allowed. Forbidden. Legal obligation.

"

"

****If I asked you what the most common form of plastic pollution is, what would you say? Plastic bottles? Straws? Bags?

All good, but incorrect guesses. Cigarette butts are actually the most abundant form of plastic waste in the world, with about 4.5 trillion individual butts polluting our global environment.

But wait, aren’t cigarette butts made of cotton or paper?

In fact, cigarette butts consist primarily of plastic and while they may be small so tend to go unnoticed, you will find them practically everywhere. Contrary to what many believe, cigarette butts are not harmless. They are made of cellulose acetate, a man-made plastic material, and contain hundreds of toxic chemicals. While cigarette filters, or the plastic part of butts, can take up to 10 years to completely degrade, the chemicals they release can remain in the environment for many more years beyond the life of the cigarette butt itself.

These lingering toxins include arsenic (also used in rat poisoning), lead (a poison that can affect the brain development of children), and nicotine. When these chemicals are improperly disposed of on the street corner, out the car window, or down a drain they slowly leach toxins into our natural water and soil systems, presenting a serious threat to people and the environment. *************

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"

****If I asked you what the most common form of plastic pollution is, what would you say? Plastic bottles? Straws? Bags?

All good, but incorrect guesses. Cigarette butts are actually the most abundant form of plastic waste in the world, with about 4.5 trillion individual butts polluting our global environment.

In fact, cigarette butts consist primarily of plastic and while they may be small so tend to go unnoticed, you will find them practically everywhere. Contrary to what many believe, cigarette butts are not harmless. They are made of cellulose acetate, a man-made plastic material, and contain hundreds of toxic chemicals. While cigarette filters, or the plastic part of butts, can take up to 10 years to completely degrade, the chemicals they release can remain in the environment for many more years beyond the life of the cigarette butt itself.

These lingering toxins include arsenic (also used in rat poisoning), lead (a poison that can affect the brain development of children), and nicotine. When these chemicals are improperly disposed of on the street corner, out the car window, or down a drain they slowly leach toxins into our natural water and soil systems, presenting a serious threat to people and the environment. *************"

Do you have any peer reviewed scientific papers published in reputable journals that show fag buts are a huge threat to mankind or the planet?

This us all just more government overreach and nanny state bs.

Christ, I had more freedom as a child than I do in this authoritarian hole of a country.

"

These lingering toxins include arsenic (also used in rat poisoning), lead (a poison that can affect the brain development of children), and nicotine. When these chemicals are improperly disposed of on the street corner, out the car window, or down a drain they slowly leach toxins into our natural water and soil systems, presenting a serious threat to people and the environment. *************

Do you have any peer reviewed scientific papers published in reputable journals that show fag buts are a huge threat to mankind or the planet?

Christ, I had more freedom as a child than I do in this authoritarian hole of a country."

Yes.I do.

Go to 'WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control'

Read it for yourself.

By *AJMLKTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Burley

Not to worry, two-tier Kier has a plan. Freezing OAP's can invite smokers into their homes to help keep them warm over winter.

"Not to worry, two-tier Kier has a plan. Freezing OAP's can invite smokers into their homes to help keep them warm over winter. "

lol

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"

Christ, I had more freedom as a child than I do in this authoritarian hole of a country.

Yes.I do.

Read it for yourself. "

Not WHO. Well I can certainly trust them and their impartial findings.

The same dumplings who said covid19 was a pandemic and it's now been shown to have a lower mortality rate than flu. The same WHO that ushered in mass vaccinations using untested vaccines.

This is the same WHO that wants governments to hand over their vaccines and the decision making process as to whether or not a nation should be locked down.

I wouldn't trust any global organisation with a boiled egg.

The UN, WHO,IMF...none.

By *usybee73Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

"Not to worry, two-tier Kier has a plan. Freezing OAP's can invite smokers into their homes to help keep them warm over winter. "

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Not to worry, two-tier Kier has a plan. Freezing OAP's can invite smokers into their homes to help keep them warm over winter.

"

Don't give him ideas fgs.

in the sticks

As an ex publican, the 2007 ban was a kick in the bollox for the pub industry, now this ... let's go to the pub and stand 100 yards in the pouring rain etc or pop down to Tesco, grab a few cans etc ... plus save money

"

Yes.I do.

Read it for yourself.

The same dumplings who said covid19 was a pandemic and it's now been shown to have a lower mortality rate than flu. The same WHO that ushered in mass vaccinations using untested vaccines.

This is the same WHO that wants governments to hand over their vaccines and the decision making process as to whether or not a nation should be locked down.

The UN, WHO,IMF...none.

"

We'll go on what you say then. Fair enough.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 3 weeks ago

Cumbria

"As an ex publican, the 2007 ban was a kick in the bollox for the pub industry, now this ... let's go to the pub and stand 100 yards in the pouring rain etc or pop down to Tesco, grab a few cans etc ... plus save money "

Or, you know, not smoke.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"As an ex publican, the 2007 ban was a kick in the bollox for the pub industry, now this ... let's go to the pub and stand 100 yards in the pouring rain etc or pop down to Tesco, grab a few cans etc ... plus save money "

They won't be happy until pubs are shut, there is no nightlife or socialising and we are all penned into our little shoebox homes watching our viewing screens, like some Ray Bradbury novel.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"

Yes.I do.

Read it for yourself.

The UN, WHO,IMF...none.

We'll go on what you say then. Fair enough. "

Is that it?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"As an ex publican, the 2007 ban was a kick in the bollox for the pub industry, now this ... let's go to the pub and stand 100 yards in the pouring rain etc or pop down to Tesco, grab a few cans etc ... plus save money

Or, you know, not smoke."

Who are you to tell anyone what to do?

in the sticks

"As an ex publican, the 2007 ban was a kick in the bollox for the pub industry, now this ... let's go to the pub and stand 100 yards in the pouring rain etc or pop down to Tesco, grab a few cans etc ... plus save money

Or, you know, not smoke."

Or not to drink, not eat a bacon sandwich, drive a car ....

"

Yes.I do.

Read it for yourself.

The UN, WHO,IMF...none.

Is that it? "

Well. You obviously have the answers to the smoking issue.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"

Yes.I do.

Read it for yourself.

The UN, WHO,IMF...none.

Is that it?

Well. You obviously have the answers to the smoking issue. "

Why thank you.

"

Yes.I do.

Read it for yourself.

The UN, WHO,IMF...none.

Is that it?

Well. You obviously have the answers to the smoking issue.

Why thank you. "

You're Legend.

Cumbria

Or, you know, not smoke.

Or not to drink, not eat a bacon sandwich, drive a car .... "

I was unaware those things were being banned.

Cumbria

Or, you know, not smoke.

Who are you to tell anyone what to do?"

Just making a suggestion. I’ve always considered pubs to be social places that happen to sell alcohol, rather than alcohol sellers where there happen to be other people.

I get that things are hard for addicts but surely we should be helping them beat their addictions?

Peterborough

"

Yes.I do.

Read it for yourself.

"

Transmission makes a pandemic, not fatality rate - don't conflate.

The WHO may have been involved in mass vaccination research (I haven't looked into that, neither have you), but different countries and pharmaceuticals definitely were. And you're wrong about untested.

Perhaps have a new user name Egon Face, just kidding

Cumbria

"

Yes.I do.

Read it for yourself.

Transmission makes a pandemic, not fatality rate - don't conflate.

The WHO may have been involved in mass vaccination research (I haven't looked into that, neither have you), but different countries and pharmaceuticals definitely were. And you're wrong about untested.

Perhaps have a new user name Egon Face, just kidding "

Another new username? 😉

Ahhhh!!!!

I see Labours Plan . . . now that the smoke has cleared . . . get people screaming about smoking bans and slip the tax rises in . . . BaldrickCunningStarmer has a Plan.

Cumbria

I see that Farage has said he will never go to the pub again if outside smoking is banned, for that reason alone I’m for the ban.

It would be hilarious to see how quickly he backs down on that threat.

nearby

“Asked about the report during a visit to Paris, Starmer did not deny the plans. “My starting point on this is to remind everybody that over 80,000 people lose their lives every year because of smoking,” he said.

“That is a preventable death, it’s a huge burden on the NHS and, of course, it is a burden on the taxpayer. So, yes, we are going to take decisions in this space, more details will be revealed, but this is a preventable series of deaths and we’ve got to take action to reduce the burden on the NHS and the taxpayer.”

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

Protesters jailed, Pensioners frozen and now Smokers banned. What else to the Socialists have in store for us?

By *estivalMan 3 weeks ago

borehamwood

I really can work out if starmer is saying smoking is why the nhs is fucked, of coursse it couldnt be anything to do with how its run now could it

By *estivalMan 3 weeks ago

borehamwood

Cant not can

in the sticks

Or, you know, not smoke.

I was unaware those things were being banned."

Not yet ... once smoking is gone, they will move on to alcohol. Which probably costs the country more in NHS, police costs plus suicide and wife beatings etc

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Protesters jailed, Pensioners frozen and now Smokers banned. What else to the Socialists have in store for us?"

This is just the start. Remember we have 5 years of this.

But rest assured people will still tell you socialism works and it's good.

in the sticks

"Protesters jailed, Pensioners frozen and now Smokers banned. What else to the Socialists have in store for us?"

If you smoke, you're far right

Cumbria

Or, you know, not smoke.

Not yet ... once smoking is gone, they will move on to alcohol. Which probably costs the country more in NHS, police costs plus suicide and wife beatings etc"

And bacon?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Or, you know, not smoke.

Not yet ... once smoking is gone, they will move on to alcohol. Which probably costs the country more in NHS, police costs plus suicide and wife beatings etc"

Won't it be great. Hauliers out of work, distilleries, breweries, all the people employed.

What sort of mindset would ban alcohol? Can anyone guess?

Cumbria

Or, you know, not smoke.

Not yet ... once smoking is gone, they will move on to alcohol. Which probably costs the country more in NHS, police costs plus suicide and wife beatings etc

Won't it be great. Hauliers out of work, distilleries, breweries, all the people employed.

What sort of mindset would ban alcohol? Can anyone guess?"

It’s conservatives isn’t it?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Or, you know, not smoke.

And bacon?"

That too. I'd forgotten about that.

Pork chops, bacon crisps, pork pies...see where were going yet?

Who did Starmer say he wanted to protect?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Or, you know, not smoke.

What sort of mindset would ban alcohol? Can anyone guess?

It’s conservatives isn’t it?"

Hahahaha oh you're a card.

Try again?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"I see that Farage has said he will never go to the pub again if outside smoking is banned, for that reason alone I’m for the ban.

It would be hilarious to see how quickly he backs down on that threat."

Why would you not want to see Farage in a pub? Elaborate.

nearby

All in the first eight weeks

Punitive budget next, god help us

in the sticks

According to the BBC news, it's Chris whity who is behind it all.

Remember him? Says it all ...

Peterborough

Listening to the news, if accurate it shows what hypocrite the Tories are (or "do what I say not what I do").

Sunak had overwhelming support to get us slowly to a non smoking state. The difference between that and this current reduction, is that it affects ALL those smoking MPs who voted aye to Sunak.

what bloody two faced arseholes!

in the sticks

"Listening to the news, if accurate it shows what hypocrite the Tories are (or "do what I say not what I do").

Sunak had overwhelming support to get us slowly to a non smoking state. The difference between that and this current reduction, is that it affects ALL those smoking MPs who voted aye to Sunak.

what bloody two faced arseholes!"

Wasn't they allowed to smoke in the commons bar, which is subsidised by the tax payer?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"According to the BBC news, it's Chris whity who is behind it all.

Remember him? Says it all ..."

Criminal. Should be in prison for the damage he caused during covid.

Peterborough

"

You really have weird opinions. Either that or you post provocations on purpose.

Peterborough

"Listening to the news, if accurate it shows what hypocrite the Tories are (or "do what I say not what I do").

what bloody two faced arseholes!

Wasn't they allowed to smoke in the commons bar, which is subsidised by the tax payer?

"

Dunno. But wouldn't surprise me, as it's definitely a "don't do what I do..." etc

By *itaminMan 3 weeks ago

Felixstowe

The grip tightens.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

You really have weird opinions. Either that or you post provocations on purpose."

Admitting they were putting covid as cause of death on death certificates without testing is falsifying documents. That's a crime. What's weird about wanting to jail those who committed crime?

By *eroy1000Man 3 weeks ago

milton keynes

what bloody two faced arseholes!"

I thought this afternoon I read on the bbc that the government were considering reintroducing that bill about phasing out smoking by banning sales to certain age groups and below. Trouble is I can't find it now. It seems logical to bring it back given it was widely supported

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Alcohol will be next because Starmer's backers don't drink

Peterborough

You really have weird opinions. Either that or you post provocations on purpose.

Admitting they were putting covid as cause of death on death certificates without testing is falsifying documents. That's a crime. What's weird about wanting to jail those who committed crime?"

I would hazard a guess prof whitty didn't sign any death certs.

Btw how do you know they hadn't tested?

Peterborough

"Protesters jailed, Pensioners frozen and now Smokers banned. What else to the Socialists have in store for us?

Alcohol will be next because Starmer's backers don't drink "

The last person I called out as a troll, left fab. When are you going?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Admitting they were putting covid as cause of death on death certificates without testing is falsifying documents. That's a crime. What's weird about wanting to jail those who committed crime?

Btw how do you know they hadn't tested? "

Eh because he said so.

It was said live on tv on one of their 5pm daily updates.

He may not have signed himself but he was in charge of anyone who did. Buck stops with him. See?

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"Protesters jailed, Pensioners frozen and now Smokers banned. What else to the Socialists have in store for us?

The last person I called out as a troll, left fab. When are you going? "

Why am I a troll? Because you don't like what I'm saying?

News flash, I don't gaf what you think, want or like. Ok lefty? Well, you did start it by calling me a troll.

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Fucking nonsense

Cumbria

News flash, I don't gaf what you think, want or like. Ok lefty? Well, you did start it by calling me a troll. "

Seems like she touched a nerve.

Peterborough

News flash, I don't gaf what you think, want or like. Ok lefty? Well, you did start it by calling me a troll. "

Lefty doesn't bother me. I definitely lean left (as does my mother post stroke ).

And a troll makes provocative posts. If you're not then I apologise, if you are then I don't .

Felixstowe

Good old lefty tactic, they dont like what you say so try to aggravate you, call names, and shun you from the discussion.

Peterborough

Eh because he said so.

He may not have signed himself but he was in charge of anyone who did. Buck stops with him. See?"

The Coronavirus Act of 2020 included guidance for death certificates. Therefore, doctors following this piece of legislation would not have broken the law. The buck stops with legislation, see?

Peterborough

"Good old lefty tactic, they dont like what you say so try to aggravate you, call names, and shun you from the discussion."

Something I've seen Righties do, hence it's a person thing not a political leaning.

Felixstowe

"Good old lefty tactic, they dont like what you say so try to aggravate you, call names, and shun you from the discussion.

Something I've seen Righties do, hence it's a person thing not a political leaning."

Unless that person has the same political leaning, then you wont disagree. Ergo, the person with opposing opinion/political leaning will disagree, consequently the tactic will be used.

Twisting back to the topic which bought about this skulduggery. It has been proven that potentially countless deaths were attributed to covid incorrectly.

It was one of the main contributors to the daily death count being dropped, not to mention it was pointed out how it was becoming more of an intimidation/scare tactic, used to coerce and control.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

Eh because he said so.

He may not have signed himself but he was in charge of anyone who did. Buck stops with him. See?

The Coronavirus Act of 2020 included guidance for death certificates. Therefore, doctors following this piece of legislation would not have broken the law. The buck stops with legislation, see? "

Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

Laws are made by people and people can make mistakes or even be corrupt.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

News flash, I don't gaf what you think, want or like. Ok lefty? Well, you did start it by calling me a troll.

Seems like she touched a nerve."

Another one. Try harder...hen.

By *aribbean King 1985Man 3 weeks ago

South West London

So let me get this straight, Labour want to stop people from owning cars by creating and introducing ULEZ to other parts of the country (Angela Raynor said it not me) create more silly LTNs in areas which actually causes more pollution to block off certain roads but not think about emergency services and deliverys that need to reach people in important circumstances, raise taxes apart from the ones they said they won't raise (TBC), they want to release prisoners early but send someone to prison if that person makes a comment on social media they dont agree with, give big pay rises to people in Unions despite saying finances are bleak. Now they want to stop people from smoking outside public spaces. Now I don't smoke but it's funny how Labour didn't mention this in their manifesto nor was this mentioned in the King's Speech. People who voted for Labour must be honest with themselves and asked is this what they wanted when they voted for them

Peterborough

Eh because he said so.

The Coronavirus Act of 2020 included guidance for death certificates. Therefore, doctors following this piece of legislation would not have broken the law. The buck stops with legislation, see?

Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

Laws are made by people and people can make mistakes or even be corrupt."

You mentioned crimes not ethics. Sounds like you're backtracking.

Peterborough

"So let me get this straight, Labour want to stop people from owning cars by creating and introducing ULEZ to other parts of the country (Angela Raynor said it not me) create more silly LTNs in areas which actually causes more pollution to block off certain roads but not think about emergency services and deliverys that need to reach people in important circumstances, raise taxes apart from the ones they said they won't raise (TBC), they want to release prisoners early but send someone to prison if that person makes a comment on social media they dont agree with, give big pay rises to people in Unions despite saying finances are bleak. Now they want to stop people from smoking outside public spaces. Now I don't smoke but it's funny how Labour didn't mention this in their manifesto nor was this mentioned in the King's Speech. People who voted for Labour must be honest with themselves and asked is this what they wanted when they voted for them"

Tories (cba to elaborate).

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"So let me get this straight, Labour want to stop people from owning cars by creating and introducing ULEZ to other parts of the country (Angela Raynor said it not me) create more silly LTNs in areas which actually causes more pollution to block off certain roads but not think about emergency services and deliverys that need to reach people in important circumstances, raise taxes apart from the ones they said they won't raise (TBC), they want to release prisoners early but send someone to prison if that person makes a comment on social media they dont agree with, give big pay rises to people in Unions despite saying finances are bleak. Now they want to stop people from smoking outside public spaces. Now I don't smoke but it's funny how Labour didn't mention this in their manifesto nor was this mentioned in the King's Speech. People who voted for Labour must be honest with themselves and asked is this what they wanted when they voted for them"

True what you say.

But the bigger issue is what is happening to our country. It's slowly but surely being turned into an authoritarian state where the government controls ever aspect of our lives.

South West London

"So let me get this straight, Labour want to stop people from owning cars by creating and introducing ULEZ to other parts of the country (Angela Raynor said it not me) create more silly LTNs in areas which actually causes more pollution to block off certain roads but not think about emergency services and deliverys that need to reach people in important circumstances, raise taxes apart from the ones they said they won't raise (TBC), they want to release prisoners early but send someone to prison if that person makes a comment on social media they dont agree with, give big pay rises to people in Unions despite saying finances are bleak. Now they want to stop people from smoking outside public spaces. Now I don't smoke but it's funny how Labour didn't mention this in their manifesto nor was this mentioned in the King's Speech. People who voted for Labour must be honest with themselves and asked is this what they wanted when they voted for them

Tories (cba to elaborate)."

oh yeah everything is the Tories fault, while they're not blame free on certain things this time I'm not holding them full responsibility for this

Peterborough

"So let me get this straight, Labour want to stop people from owning cars by creating and introducing ULEZ to other parts of the country (Angela Raynor said it not me) create more silly LTNs in areas which actually causes more pollution to block off certain roads but not think about emergency services and deliverys that need to reach people in important circumstances, raise taxes apart from the ones they said they won't raise (TBC), they want to release prisoners early but send someone to prison if that person makes a comment on social media they dont agree with, give big pay rises to people in Unions despite saying finances are bleak. Now they want to stop people from smoking outside public spaces. Now I don't smoke but it's funny how Labour didn't mention this in their manifesto nor was this mentioned in the King's Speech. People who voted for Labour must be honest with themselves and asked is this what they wanted when they voted for them

Tories (cba to elaborate). oh yeah everything is the Tories fault, while they're not blame free on certain things this time I'm not holding them full responsibility for this"

Think about it, what is Labour continuing or slightly adapting what the Tories started? You shouldn't have to think (or google) too hard

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

True what you say.

But the bigger issue is what is happening to our country. It's slowly but surely being turned into an authoritarian state where the government controls ever aspect of our lives."

Socialism = authoritarianism.

South West London

They've not even been in government for 2 months yet and proving to be far worse then I predicted

Central

Of course this austerity was baked into the conservative plans, so we shouldn't be too surprised, nor when the media leak some distractions away from that budgetary dynamite. Oooh, look over here - some smoke and mirrors

By *aughtystaffs60Couple 3 weeks ago

Staffordshire

Having been a smoker up to when I was 40 I know how addictive it is and a huge catalyst to giving up was the smoking ban.

However.............. who is going to police this. the Police, the pub owner, you, me ????? The Stasi ??? maybe the latter is the answer as that is the only way I can see this going.

Central

Most, if not all, of what you claim, isn't backed by the evidence. Pollution also kills many and should rightfully be addressed,

Central

"Having been a smoker up to when I was 40 I know how addictive it is and a huge catalyst to giving up was the smoking ban.

However.............. who is going to police this. the Police, the pub owner, you, me ????? The Stasi ??? maybe the latter is the answer as that is the only way I can see this going."

It's not a definite plan, with no legislation for it. It was a media topic and this gets distracting, during the summer silly season.

By *ronisMan 3 weeks ago

Edinburgh

True what you say.

But the bigger issue is what is happening to our country. It's slowly but surely being turned into an authoritarian state where the government controls ever aspect of our lives.

Socialism = authoritarianism."

By *ggdrasil66Man 3 weeks ago

Saltdean

It doesn’t matter what they do, they will never stop people smoking. Even with Challenge 25, kids are still trying to buy fags and tobacco, although disposable vapes are more fashionable with younger people, and fake IDs are a major worry.

Stopping people who are much more likely to be adults from smoking or vaping outside pubs, is not the answer, and will only hit an already under fire public house business.

South West London

Most, if not all, of what you claim, isn't backed by the evidence. Pollution also kills many and should rightfully be addressed, "

tell me one thing that i said that isnt backed by evidence? Go on YouTube and type in Angela Raynor about ULEZ for example

By *isurreyguy2019Man 3 weeks ago

surrey

"It doesn’t matter what they do, they will never stop people smoking. Even with Challenge 25, kids are still trying to buy fags and tobacco, although disposable vapes are more fashionable with younger people, and fake IDs are a major worry.

Stopping people who are much more likely to be adults from smoking or vaping outside pubs, is not the answer, and will only hit an already under fire public house business."

Indeed,and if tobacco,vapes,alcohol or anything else which is in high demand gets banned it will instantly fall into the hands of the unregulated blackmarket who are more than happy to sell to underage kids which will make a bad situation even worse because it will be totally uncontrollable. Reducing the demand is the key and that can be done through education and mindfullness,and that starts at home with the parents or guardians. My parents and other family members used to smoke around me pretty much everywhere we went and they used to leave their cig packets laying around, and imo if they hadn't done any of that my 13yr old inquisitive mind wouldn't have been tempted to steal that first cig.

By *ik MMan 3 weeks ago

Lancashire

My first thought was how will this be policed - then I remembered how keen the curtain twitchers were to grass their mates and neighbours up in lockdown. Just market it as for the greater good and folk will be queuing up for the role.

Considering all the shite this new government needs to sort out it utterly baffles me why they keep picking new battles they’ll struggle to implement

By *lan157Man 3 weeks ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

What a fabulous Idea I though when I read about this. Smokers think they can take over pub gardens and tables for their habit leaving behind their mess for subsequent table users. Long overdue

Peterborough

"It doesn’t matter what they do, they will never stop people smoking. Even with Challenge 25, kids are still trying to buy fags and tobacco, although disposable vapes are more fashionable with younger people, and fake IDs are a major worry.

Stopping people who are much more likely to be adults from smoking or vaping outside pubs, is not the answer, and will only hit an already under fire public house business."

Or may stop social smokers, those not addicted but light up when others do. This is a great group to aim a better lifestyle for.

And maybe, just maybe, causing people problems smoking may be a good enough incentive to give up.

Peterborough

Stopping people who are much more likely to be adults from smoking or vaping outside pubs, is not the answer, and will only hit an already under fire public house business.

Indeed,and if tobacco,vapes,alcohol or anything else which is in high demand gets banned it will instantly fall into the hands of the unregulated blackmarket who are more than happy to sell to underage kids which will make a bad situation even worse because it will be totally uncontrollable. Reducing the demand is the key and that can be done through education and mindfullness,and that starts at home with the parents or guardians. My parents and other family members used to smoke around me pretty much everywhere we went and they used to leave their cig packets laying around, and imo if they hadn't done any of that my 13yr old inquisitive mind wouldn't have been tempted to steal that first cig. "

My inquisitive mind strayed to gaining knowledge - not stinky breath and clothes like my parents and sister.

in the sticks

"My first thought was how will this be policed - then I remembered how keen the curtain twitchers were to grass their mates and neighbours up in lockdown. Just market it as for the greater good and folk will be queuing up for the role.

Considering all the shite this new government needs to sort out it utterly baffles me why they keep picking new battles they’ll struggle to implement "

It can't be policed, only through fear.

I can remember when the 2007 ban came in, a few people just lit up in the pub and no one done anything... landlord asked them to put it out, they said no and nothing else happened. Landlord said its upto the council to enforce it not him

South West London

As usual Labour just love coming up with lunay and unworkable ideas that some of you blindingly like to vote for not thinking of the cost/benefits to these things

Peterborough

"As usual Labour just love coming up with lunay and unworkable ideas that some of you blindingly like to vote for not thinking of the cost/benefits to these things"

Rwandaaaaaaaaaaa

Peterborough

"As usual Labour just love coming up with lunay and unworkable ideas that some of you blindingly like to vote for not thinking of the cost/benefits to these things"

Actually I've stated benefits, must be the HCP in me

By *roadShoulderzMan 3 weeks ago

Aberdeen

Unworkable? The 2007 smoking ban had an 87% adherence from very early on and is pretty universally adhered to now.

Cost to the NHS for treating smoking related illness is about £17bn, about £9bn more than tobacco tax raises.

Many pubs have adapted to become family oreintated since the 2007. Many restaurants reported increased sales following that ban.

As usual ill-informed Tory supporters spout nonsense and appear unable to read previous posts....

South West London

"As usual Labour just love coming up with lunay and unworkable ideas that some of you blindingly like to vote for not thinking of the cost/benefits to these things

Unworkable? The 2007 smoking ban had an 87% adherence from very early on and is pretty universally adhered to now.

Cost to the NHS for treating smoking related illness is about £17bn, about £9bn more than tobacco tax raises.

Many pubs have adapted to become family oreintated since the 2007. Many restaurants reported increased sales following that ban.

As usual ill-informed Tory supporters spout nonsense and appear unable to read previous posts....

"

First of I'm not a Tory supporter so you can take that back and second it is unworkable because while indoor smoking ban was understandable and workable, trying to ban people from venues outside means less people will be out at social venues therefore less money coming into business equalling more companies being out of business and this is coming from me who doesn't smoke

nearby

"As usual Labour just love coming up with lunay and unworkable ideas that some of you blindingly like to vote for not thinking of the cost/benefits to these things

"

Smoking cost to the nhs is £2.5bn. Cost to society is reported to be £17bn

I’m a non smoker who lives above a bar, and discussing it earlier with older smokers it will make an impact. Armed forces days see the bar full with smokers outside. The old veterans already have to stand outside in the rain for a cigarette.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 3 weeks ago

golden fields

First of I'm not a Tory supporter so you can take that back and second it is unworkable because while indoor smoking ban was understandable and workable, trying to ban people from venues outside means less people will be out at social venues therefore less money coming into business equalling more companies being out of business and this is coming from me who doesn't smoke"

You said you supported the Tories-on-steroids right?

But yeah, this smoking ban is a bit strange, but people will just work with it, and smoke around the corner. It won't make much difference to anything.

Cumbria

Apparently it’s the same as the holocaust, or so says Esther McVey.

Peterborough

"Apparently it’s the same as the holocaust, or so says Esther McVey."

Put her head in an oven and see if she still agrees.

An incredibly insensitive thing to say (holocaust, not oven ).

in the sticks

"

The reason why pubs are shutting is because of them being family orientated, no right minded adult wants to use a pub that has screaming kids running around after a discounted shite meal, whilst the parent is pissed up on offer of the day.

How many pubs have shut since 2007? Think about it ...

henley on thames

Public smoking is not zero impact. Smoke, cigarette butts etc. not just a case of “don’t sit near them”.

Smoke tends to....disperse.

"

You don’t know what a cigarette but is?

Yes, I know cigarette smoke disperses … it wafts on every direction, polluting.

Cumbria

The reason why pubs are shutting is because of them being family orientated, no right minded adult wants to use a pub that has screaming kids running around after a discounted shite meal, whilst the parent is pissed up on offer of the day.

How many pubs have shut since 2007? Think about it ... "

Somewhat ironically, those tend to be the pubs that are busiest.

Peterborough

How many pubs have shut since 2007? Think about it ... "

It'd be better to see closures year on year as covid would have had an effect.

henley on thames

"Having been a smoker up to when I was 40 I know how addictive it is and a huge catalyst to giving up was the smoking ban.

However.............. who is going to police this. the Police, the pub owner, you, me ????? The Stasi ??? maybe the latter is the answer as that is the only way I can see this going."

There is no point in implementing a ban in a space or area that is not monitored in some way.

Not too long ago people thought a bam in pubs wouldn’t work.

Peterborough

"Apparently it’s the same as the holocaust, or so says Esther McVey.

An incredibly insensitive thing to say (holocaust, not oven )."

And her having been the minister of "common sense". The sense bit is rather superfluous doncha think?

henley on thames

"My first thought was how will this be policed - then I remembered how keen the curtain twitchers were to grass their mates and neighbours up in lockdown. Just market it as for the greater good and folk will be queuing up for the role.

Considering all the shite this new government needs to sort out it utterly baffles me why they keep picking new battles they’ll struggle to implement

I can remember when the 2007 ban came in, a few people just lit up in the pub and no one done anything... landlord asked them to put it out, they said no and nothing else happened. Landlord said its upto the council to enforce it not him"

Wow, what rebels!

People don’t smoke in pubs now though, so it must have worked somehow ….

henley on thames

I agree to an extent.

Starmer made it sound as though he wanted to stamp out smoking, in which case he should simply ban smoking rather than just ban it on certain places.

Like you say, banning it in some places will have minimal impact on smoking levels.

in the sticks

I can remember when the 2007 ban came in, a few people just lit up in the pub and no one done anything... landlord asked them to put it out, they said no and nothing else happened. Landlord said its upto the council to enforce it not him

Wow, what rebels!

People don’t smoke in pubs now though, so it must have worked somehow …. "

I know pubs I can smoke in, nothing gets said... never mind the ones who have private parties

henley on thames

First of I'm not a Tory supporter so you can take that back and second it is unworkable because while indoor smoking ban was understandable and workable, trying to ban people from venues outside means less people will be out at social venues therefore less money coming into business equalling more companies being out of business and this is coming from me who doesn't smoke"

So smokers will never leave home and just sit there smoking all day?

Maybe wait to see the actual proposal before saying it is unworkable.

Cumbria

Wow, what rebels!

I know pubs I can smoke in, nothing gets said... never mind the ones who have private parties "

Sure Jan.

henley on thames

"Apparently it’s the same as the holocaust, or so says Esther McVey."

.. well … she didn’t really.

She made a fairly shite analogy, but she did not say it was the same as the holocaust.

henley on thames

It'd be better to see closures year on year as covid would have had an effect."

Energy costs had a huge impact too

Cumbria

She made a fairly shite analogy, but she did not say it was the same as the holocaust. "

I think it’s pretty clear what she was inferring. The Board of Deputies of British Jews think so too.

henley on thames

Wow, what rebels!

I know pubs I can smoke in, nothing gets said... never mind the ones who have private parties "

Must say, I have been in plenty of pubs since the ban came in and haven’t seen a single person smoking. Not once.

henley on thames

She made a fairly shite analogy, but she did not say it was the same as the holocaust.

I think it’s pretty clear what she was inferring. The Board of Deputies of British Jews think so too."

She explained what she meant. No need to read inferences

henley on thames

An incredibly insensitive thing to say (holocaust, not oven )."

“Put her head in an oven”? That’s an ok comment, is it?

in the sticks

It'd be better to see closures year on year as covid would have had an effect."

The UK has lost 21,000 pubs since 1980. Half of these closures have taken place since 2006. This paper examines the likely causes of the recent surge in closures.

Taxation, regulation and the recent decline in disposable incomes are the leading causes of the decimation of the UK pub industry since 2006, responsible for around 6,000 pub closures. The smoking ban and the alcohol duty escalator are particularly culpable.

Long-term cultural changes have been responsible for a further 4,000 pub closures. Other factors, such as the decline in alcohol consumption, may have played a part, but we cannot rule out reverse causality, particularly with regards to the exceptionally large decline in beer consumption.

Cumbria

I think it’s pretty clear what she was inferring. The Board of Deputies of British Jews think so too.

She explained what she meant. No need to read inferences "

In her non apology you mean?

Peterborough

She made a fairly shite analogy, but she did not say it was the same as the holocaust. "

Definitely a shit analogy and should never have been tweeted.

Peterborough

Energy costs had a huge impact too "

Maybe just look at the closures between 2007 and 2019.

Peterborough

“Put her head in an oven”? That’s an ok comment, is it? "

I didn't say turn it on. I'm not inciting any torture, just an opportunity to reflect. If you prefer I can say take her to Auschwitz. The point was to make her think of a gas chamber.

By *ovebjsMan 3 weeks ago

Bristol

They will be telling us what to eat next! Oh wait they are planning to weigh people at work 🤣🤣🤣

nearby

"They will be telling us what to eat next! Oh wait they are planning to weigh people at work 🤣🤣🤣"

After the budget we will all weigh less

henley on thames

I didn't say turn it on. I'm not inciting any torture, just an opportunity to reflect. If you prefer I can say take her to Auschwitz. The point was to make her think of a gas chamber."

That’s a pretty lame backtrack . Might be best to just retract the “oven” comment.

By *erlins5Man 3 weeks ago

South Fife

[Removed by poster at 30/08/24 23:19:32]

Peterborough

I didn't say turn it on. I'm not inciting any torture, just an opportunity to reflect. If you prefer I can say take her to Auschwitz. The point was to make her think of a gas chamber.

That’s a pretty lame backtrack . Might be best to just retract the “oven” comment. "

Backtrack? Not my problem you don't recognise rationale

Cumbria

That’s a pretty lame backtrack . Might be best to just retract the “oven” comment. "

“She explained what she meant. No need to read inferences”

By *oxychick35Couple 3 weeks ago

thornaby

The UK has lost 21,000 pubs since 1980. Half of these closures have taken place since 2006. This paper examines the likely causes of the recent surge in closures.

Taxation, regulation and the recent decline in disposable incomes are the leading causes of the decimation of the UK pub industry since 2006, responsible for around 6,000 pub closures. The smoking ban and the alcohol duty escalator are particularly culpable.

Long-term cultural changes have been responsible for a further 4,000 pub closures. Other factors, such as the decline in alcohol consumption, may have played a part, but we cannot rule out reverse causality, particularly with regards to the exceptionally large decline in beer consumption."

soon there be no pubs no civvies no free speech and we can go to work and get weighed the future looks bright lol

Peterborough

So much whining

Free speech is a concept that hasn't changed much over the eons.

You CAN say what you like.

You CAN print what you like.

You CAN publish what you like (ie internet).

Just be prepared that there may be consequences. We have had blasphemy laws, traitor laws, libel laws and slander. Have things REALLY changed? Stop getting your knickers in a twist.

"So much whining

Just be prepared that there may be consequences. We have had blasphemy laws, traitor laws, libel laws and slander. Have things REALLY changed? Stop getting your knickers in a twist."

There are no blasphemy laws in existance in Wales. England. Scotland.

thornaby

"So much whining

Just be prepared that there may be consequences. We have had blasphemy laws, traitor laws, libel laws and slander. Have things REALLY changed? Stop getting your knickers in a twist."

yes your right I haven’t just had a 48 hr ban on here then lol

Peterborough

"So much whining

Just be prepared that there may be consequences. We have had blasphemy laws, traitor laws, libel laws and slander. Have things REALLY changed? Stop getting your knickers in a twist.

"

You did not read "we have had"!

Peterborough

"So much whining

Just be prepared that there may be consequences. We have had blasphemy laws, traitor laws, libel laws and slander. Have things REALLY changed? Stop getting your knickers in a twist.yes your right I haven’t just had a 48 hr ban on here then lol"

This site is privately owned/run.

Peterborough

"So much whining

You did not read "we have had"!"

And people don't get sent to the tower as a traitor anymore. The context was over a period of time: eons.

"So much whining

You did not read "we have had"!"

Indeed. I didn't.

Central

They're using the damage caused by historical, not current, smoking levels to justify the ban, which is poor form. Almost as if the older bans didn't have any benefits - thus undermining the current plan. They can't have it both ways

By *ornucopiaMan 3 weeks ago

Bexley

"

What

sort of mindset would ban alcohol? Can anyone guess?"

What sort of mindset would ecourage smoking and drinking?

thornaby

"

What

sort of mindset would ban alcohol? Can anyone guess?

What sort of mindset would ecourage smoking and drinking?"

as smoking and drinking ever been encouraged?

Bexley

"

What

What sort of mindset would ecourage smoking and drinking? as smoking and drinking ever been encouraged?"

What do you think?

thornaby

"

What

What sort of mindset would ecourage smoking and drinking? as smoking and drinking ever been encouraged?

What do you think?"

I don’t drink cokacola but it’s always advertised but then again I’m an adult I can make my own choices some prefer politicians to make there’s for them

Bexley

"

What

What sort of mindset would ecourage smoking and drinking? as smoking and drinking ever been encouraged?

What do you think?I don’t drink cokacola but it’s always advertised but then again I’m an adult I can make my own choices some prefer politicians to make there’s for them "

I wont bother pressing you further...

Peterborough

"

What

What sort of mindset would ecourage smoking and drinking?"

There are zero benefits to smoking. There are benefits from certain alcohol taken occasionally and not to excess.

Bexley

"

What

There are zero benefits to smoking. There are benefits from certain alcohol taken occasionally and not to excess."

Agreed, on both counts.

thornaby

"

What

There are zero benefits to smoking. There are benefits from certain alcohol taken occasionally and not to excess."

can we only do things that benefit us all now then should we stop kids eating sweats aswell what a boring life some lead lol

Peterborough

"

What

There are zero benefits to smoking. There are benefits from certain alcohol taken occasionally and not to excess.can we only do things that benefit us all now then should we stop kids eating sweats aswell what a boring life some lead lol"

There are no benefits to sweets.

And who are you to judge how others lead their lives?

I'd definitely stop kids eating sweats tho

henley on thames

"So much whining

Completely agree.

henley on thames

"

What

There are zero benefits to smoking. There are benefits from certain alcohol taken occasionally and not to excess.can we only do things that benefit us all now then should we stop kids eating sweats aswell what a boring life some lead lol"

Eating sweats? Ugh, sounds horrible

Bexley

"

I'd definitely stop kids eating sweats tho "

One of the many reasons I decided not to have children was to avoid the inevitable conflicts and possible social ostracism over banning a number of things for their own good.

thornaby

"

One of the many reasons I decided not to have children was to avoid the inevitable conflicts and possible social ostracism over banning a number of things for their own good."

im sure it was never in your hands lol

in the sticks

It does make my head shake at times, wondering around Sainsbury's, seeing the kids wobble down the aisle, whilst the parent hung on the trolley for dear life... breathing heavily, again wobbling like jelly. But that's fine ..

Then spoke to the landlord of a rural pub about the possible impact, they were obviously disappointed as it seems to be leaked information and the drinks industry has been quiet as a church mouse. They had same questions as to those in the thread, how's it going to be enforced, and by who? As they can't do it.

Bexley

"

One of the many reasons I decided not to have children was to avoid the inevitable conflicts and possible social ostracism over banning a number of things for their own good.im sure it was never in your hands lol"

It certainly was once I got disconnected at 41!

thornaby

"

One of the many reasons I decided not to have children was to avoid the inevitable conflicts and possible social ostracism over banning a number of things for their own good.im sure it was never in your hands lol

It certainly was once I got disconnected at 41!"

not shocked at all lol

nearby

"It does make my head shake at times, wondering around Sainsbury's, seeing the kids wobble down the aisle, whilst the parent hung on the trolley for dear life... breathing heavily, again wobbling like jelly. But that's fine ..

Then spoke to the landlord of a rural pub about the possible impact, they were obviously disappointed as it seems to be leaked information and the drinks industry has been quiet as a church mouse. They had same questions as to those in the thread, how's it going to be enforced, and by who? As they can't do it."

“There is a legal duty for any person who owns or manages smoke-free premises to ensure that guests, visitors and staff do not smoke on the premises.” Visit Britain org

Aberdeen

"It does make my head shake at times, wondering around Sainsbury's, seeing the kids wobble down the aisle, whilst the parent hung on the trolley for dear life... breathing heavily, again wobbling like jelly. But that's fine ..

Then spoke to the landlord of a rural pub about the possible impact, they were obviously disappointed as it seems to be leaked information and the drinks industry has been quiet as a church mouse. They had same questions as to those in the thread, how's it going to be enforced, and by who? As they can't do it."

If you think Sainsburys is bad try shopping in Aldi!

Regarding pub closures a huge factor has been the exploitation of pub managers by the pub chains, who have have been asset stripped by private equity and venture capital and loaded with high debt (same as Thames Water).

In a tied house £2 of your pint cost goes towards servicing and repaying the debt created by the money men who years ago ran off with £millions to fund their lavish lifestyle.

That's why pub managers have diversified and beer sales dropped, or pubs gone out of business.

And the greedy bastards on their yachts are laughing at the fools on here who blame the smoking ban.

in the sticks

Then spoke to the landlord of a rural pub about the possible impact, they were obviously disappointed as it seems to be leaked information and the drinks industry has been quiet as a church mouse. They had same questions as to those in the thread, how's it going to be enforced, and by who? As they can't do it.

Regarding pub closures a huge factor has been the exploitation of pub managers by the pub chains, who have have been asset stripped by private equity and venture capital and loaded with high debt (same as Thames Water).

In a tied house £2 of your pint cost goes towards servicing and repaying the debt created by the money men who years ago ran off with £millions to fund their lavish lifestyle.

That's why pub managers have diversified and beer sales dropped, or pubs gone out of business.

And the greedy bastards on their yachts are laughing at the fools on here who blame the smoking ban. "

I concur, if I had brought beer as a free holder compared to a tenant then I would of saved 25k a year. Most customers always blame the tenant, not realising he has to buy the beer through the brewery... they looked at it years ago to see if that was illegal, but was brushed or hidden under the carpet

henley on thames

That sounds a lot like what people said when the original smoking ban was announced.

in the sticks

That sounds a lot like what people said when the original smoking ban was announced. "

And why x amount of thousands shut afterwards... all it took was one sign in the window saying smoking or non smoking. Giving people the choice, not rocket science

Aberdeen

And the greedy bastards on their yachts are laughing at the fools on here who blame the smoking ban.

I concur, if I had brought beer as a free holder compared to a tenant then I would of saved 25k a year. Most customers always blame the tenant, not realising he has to buy the beer through the brewery... they looked at it years ago to see if that was illegal, but was brushed or hidden under the carpet "

In my old local pub the tenants had to pay the pub chain owners £125,000 a year plus the tenant funded all the maintenance and running costs of the pub, plus having to buy beer at inflated prices.

It was a destination pub near a beach so did very well in good weather. But winter trade relied on the locals. The landlady worked herself to death, literally dropping dead in the kitchen.

Being a pub tenant seems to me to be like the modern sl@ve trade. I wonder if the new government might get the CMA to investigate. I hope so.