FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Wonder how labour pledges are going?

Wonder how labour pledges are going?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man 4 weeks ago

in the sticks

https://labour.org.uk/updates/stories/cost-of-living-wages-bills-prices/

So energy bills are going up, is that a fail?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple 4 weeks ago

North West

"https://labour.org.uk/updates/stories/cost-of-living-wages-bills-prices/

So energy bills are going up, is that a fail?"

They have been in office 7 weeks and the last four (five?) of those weeks Parliament has been in recess for summer.

No legislation can even be spoke about let alone passed.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 4 weeks ago

Cumbria

They have been in office 7 weeks and the last four (five?) of those weeks Parliament has been in recess for summer.

No legislation can even be spoke about let alone passed."

Sssshhhh don’t ruin it for him, he needs this.

By *ortyairCouple 4 weeks ago

Wallasey

No legislation can even be spoke about let alone passed.

Sssshhhh don’t ruin it for him, he needs this."

LOL, Mrs x

By *eroy1000Man 4 weeks ago

milton keynes

At present it is bad optics of how things have happened. I agree with the point that parliament has not been open much since they took over. Still in that short time they did manage to punish pensioners to the point many will be in fuel poverty, just on time for the fuel price rises to be announced and and cancelled building projects after saying they will get Britain building. A budget on the horizon that could include yet more tax rises, after complaining of the highest tax burden using the second fastest growing economy in the G7 as an excuse.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 4 weeks ago

nearby

On the house building pledges, 40,384 new homes should have been completed since they took office, some catching up to do.

By *igNick1381Man 4 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

I didn't vote for Labour, but I will say give them a chance, they've barely got their feet under the table

By *an DeLyonMan 4 weeks ago

County Durham

Well it's a tad 💩💩💩

I thought labour would be more of the same 💩💩💩 as Tories but wow .. and so early into their tenureship

By *melie LALWoman 4 weeks ago

Peterborough

"I didn't vote for Labour, but I will say give them a chance, they've barely got their feet under the table "

I did... and yes!

By *eard and TattsCouple 3 weeks ago

Cwmbran

"I didn't vote for Labour, but I will say give them a chance, they've barely got their feet under the table

I did... and yes! "

Let me know how that works out

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

I didn’t vote Labour because for me personally it will have a negative impact and while I supported their pre-election position on some things, others was strongly against.

I didn’t vote Conservative because they were done, a busted flush, and increasingly unrecognisable as the Tory party of old. Plus I simply could not forgive the corruption and self enrichment during the pandemic.

I voted Lib Dem. I knew because of FPTP they had zero chance of forming a govt and I live in a very safe Labour seat anyway. But they were the ONLY party that spoke for me and my values, their manifesto seemed to be common sense, sensible and centrist.

I’m so glad to see the back of the Tories but have reservations about Labour. Saying that, not sure what disaster everyone seems to think has happened so far? Tax rises were inevitable, the coffers DID have a £20bn hole. Tory supporters always advocate budgetary/economic management but seemingly only when it suits them 🤷🏻‍♂️

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"I didn’t vote Labour because for me personally it will have a negative impact and while I supported their pre-election position on some things, others was strongly against.

I didn’t vote Conservative because they were done, a busted flush, and increasingly unrecognisable as the Tory party of old. Plus I simply could not forgive the corruption and self enrichment during the pandemic.

I voted Lib Dem. I knew because of FPTP they had zero chance of forming a govt and I live in a very safe Labour seat anyway. But they were the ONLY party that spoke for me and my values, their manifesto seemed to be common sense, sensible and centrist.

I’m so glad to see the back of the Tories but have reservations about Labour. Saying that, not sure what disaster everyone seems to think has happened so far? Tax rises were inevitable, the coffers DID have a £20bn hole. Tory supporters always advocate budgetary/economic management but seemingly only when it suits them 🤷🏻‍♂️"

Are you missing the lies that they didn’t know there was a shortfall, or they have taken away pensioner fuel allowances that are a straight line cut, so a pensioner with £1 above the line loses £300, with energy prices expected to rise by 10%. Add in the fact that they awarded pay rises of 22.5% to junior doctors over 2 years, and above inflation rates for other public sector workers? That cost 9.5 billion and they still need to payout a further 11 billion in public sector pay rises. They have stopped the freedom of speech laws intending to prevent universities cancelling and no platforming of anyone who has an opposing view, and the kicker! The language of acting tough about deporting and sending back more people than T May in 2018, interestingly ignored by those who would have been screaming racists had it been a Tory saying that.

And Tuesday is set to be the catalyst for Starmer setting up the tax rises he promised wouldn’t happen

Not bad in just 52 days..

By *eroy1000Man 3 weeks ago

milton keynes

"I didn’t vote Labour because for me personally it will have a negative impact and while I supported their pre-election position on some things, others was strongly against.

I’m so glad to see the back of the Tories but have reservations about Labour. Saying that, not sure what disaster everyone seems to think has happened so far? Tax rises were inevitable, the coffers DID have a £20bn hole. Tory supporters always advocate budgetary/economic management but seemingly only when it suits them 🤷🏻‍♂️

Are you missing the lies that they didn’t know there was a shortfall, or they have taken away pensioner fuel allowances that are a straight line cut, so a pensioner with £1 above the line loses £300, with energy prices expected to rise by 10%. Add in the fact that they awarded pay rises of 22.5% to junior doctors over 2 years, and above inflation rates for other public sector workers? That cost 9.5 billion and they still need to payout a further 11 billion in public sector pay rises. They have stopped the freedom of speech laws intending to prevent universities cancelling and no platforming of anyone who has an opposing view, and the kicker! The language of acting tough about deporting and sending back more people than T May in 2018, interestingly ignored by those who would have been screaming racists had it been a Tory saying that.

And Tuesday is set to be the catalyst for Starmer setting up the tax rises he promised wouldn’t happen

Not bad in just 52 days.."

I caught a thing on sky news about the economy. Apart from displaying the economy if far stronger than alleged they showed the OBR graph for both tax receipts (income) and spending. The tax receipts are bang on the line what the OBR predicted. However the spending is already above by 9.5 billion. They went on to say about Labour's plan to but the borrowing. If they hit their target in 5 years time it will save 9.5 billion but that has already been spent in the first couple of months.

By *ortyairCouple 3 weeks ago

Wallasey

I caught a thing on sky news about the economy. Apart from displaying the economy if far stronger than alleged they showed the OBR graph for both tax receipts (income) and spending. The tax receipts are bang on the line what the OBR predicted. However the spending is already above by 9.5 billion. They went on to say about Labour's plan to but the borrowing. If they hit their target in 5 years time it will save 9.5 billion but that has already been spent in the first couple of months."

It's a phallacy that the Tories are the more prudent of two major parties when in government. It's just not true.

Every Tory government has borrowed more and repaid less than the Labour Party.

This fact doesn't get the attention it deserves. From a quick Google search it's easy to see all the evidence for this.

A quote from the Guardian on this 'According to the political economist Richard Murphy, between 1946 and 2021, the Tories “always borrowed more than Labour, and always repaid less” of the national debt.'

So I think we should all wait and see how this new government matches up to its predecessors. History would indicate they are more prudent.

Mrs x

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 25/08/24 11:24:10]

Terra Firma

I caught a thing on sky news about the economy. Apart from displaying the economy if far stronger than alleged they showed the OBR graph for both tax receipts (income) and spending. The tax receipts are bang on the line what the OBR predicted. However the spending is already above by 9.5 billion. They went on to say about Labour's plan to but the borrowing. If they hit their target in 5 years time it will save 9.5 billion but that has already been spent in the first couple of months.It's a phallacy that the Tories are the more prudent of two major parties when in government. It's just not true.

This fact doesn't get the attention it deserves. From a quick Google search it's easy to see all the evidence for this.

A quote from the Guardian on this 'According to the political economist Richard Murphy, between 1946 and 2021, the Tories “always borrowed more than Labour, and always repaid less” of the national debt.'

So I think we should all wait and see how this new government matches up to its predecessors. History would indicate they are more prudent.

Mrs x"

This is not a true reflection.

The correct way of looking at this is on the outgoing debt left and the way the incoming tackle the issue.

The reason for this is an outgoing will always be out through poor performance, a performing government will maintain control until the wheels come off.

The tories have been in power twice as long as Labour governments and historically have inherited very poor economic conditions from the outgoing labour party.

The last incoming tory government is an example of this, there was a need to introduce austerity measures to bring in the debt left by the labour party. Contrast that to the labour government today, and you will see they are already spending money they do not have even though they know there is more debt to maintain.

This is the reason people are getting nervous, they are already showing poor spending judgement in a time the economy was showing some signs of growth.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Central

Which specific taxes are rising that they itemized and insisted they wouldn't raise?

Terra Firma

Which specific taxes are rising that they itemized and insisted they wouldn't raise?"

As I said in my post, Tuesday will be the catalyst, we will see how it unfolds from that point on, but expect the groundwork to start being laid from then,

Wallasey

I caught a thing on sky news about the economy. Apart from displaying the economy if far stronger than alleged they showed the OBR graph for both tax receipts (income) and spending. The tax receipts are bang on the line what the OBR predicted. However the spending is already above by 9.5 billion. They went on to say about Labour's plan to but the borrowing. If they hit their target in 5 years time it will save 9.5 billion but that has already been spent in the first couple of months.It's a phallacy that the Tories are the more prudent of two major parties when in government. It's just not true.

Mrs x

This is not a true reflection.

The correct way of looking at this is on the outgoing debt left and the way the incoming tackle the issue.

The reason for this is an outgoing will always be out through poor performance, a performing government will maintain control until the wheels come off.

The tories have been in power twice as long as Labour governments and historically have inherited very poor economic conditions from the outgoing labour party.

The last incoming tory government is an example of this, there was a need to introduce austerity measures to bring in the debt left by the labour party. Contrast that to the labour government today, and you will see they are already spending money they do not have even though they know there is more debt to maintain.

This is the reason people are getting nervous, they are already showing poor spending judgement in a time the economy was showing some signs of growth."

It's a very true statement backed up by the figures.

Tories borrow more and repay less. It's a simple equation. This has been done by every Tory government since the Second World War.

Spin it however you like but the figures don't lie, it's an economic fact.

Mrs x

milton keynes

Mrs x"

Definitely need to wait and see but as the report pointed out, the start is not great having already spent all of the money they may or may not save in 5 years. It was not reporting on past governments of any colour so not relevant to my post

Wallasey

Mrs x

Definitely need to wait and see but as the report pointed out, the start is not great having already spent all of the money they may or may not save in 5 years. It was not reporting on past governments of any colour so not relevant to my post"

What report are you referring to?

I can five you a link to the report I'm referencing to, if that would make it easier for you.

These are not my opinions or facts, they've been put together by an expert in his field, a professor from a University in Sheffield I think.

He concludes that every Tory government has borrowed more and repaid less than any labour government. He shows all the data and gives explanations for all his findings.

It's hard to refute such facts, given by an expert in his field, using the relevant data he uses.

Mrs x

Brighton

"Are you missing the lies that they didn’t know there was a shortfall"

Is it lies? Has that been proven? Pretty certain even the OBR have come out and said the Tories had not shared the full picture with them. Also the Tories sat on multiple public sector pay deals and did not count in the cost of honouring those as they knew it would not be their problem.

Terra Firma

Mrs x

Definitely need to wait and see but as the report pointed out, the start is not great having already spent all of the money they may or may not save in 5 years. It was not reporting on past governments of any colour so not relevant to my post"

I’m not going to go into this deeper from a detailed economic perspective.

I will however ask you a question on what you have told me as fact.

Do you expect the next conservative government to inherit a debt larger or smaller than the debt inherited by this Labour Party when they took power?

By *melie LALWoman 3 weeks ago

Peterborough

I’m so glad to see the back of the Tories but have reservations about Labour. Saying that, not sure what disaster everyone seems to think has happened so far? Tax rises were inevitable, the coffers DID have a £20bn hole. Tory supporters always advocate budgetary/economic management but seemingly only when it suits them 🤷🏻‍♂️"

Safe Tory seat here, sadly. I might as well have voted Lib Dem

Peterborough

Whine, whine, whine.

They knew of the shortfall but not the extent.

Nhs staff had a well below inflation rate last year and this year was planned to address that (a bit).

The last govt didn't deal with the junior doctors fairly.

I think with Martin Lewis on the case they'll readdress the fuel payment to pensioners, but were right it shouldn't be a universal benefit.

Stopping freedom of speech or simply upping the consequences when that speech is inciting hatred?

Starmer didn't promise he wouldn't raise any taxes, just particular ones.

milton keynes

Mrs x

Definitely need to wait and see but as the report pointed out, the start is not great having already spent all of the money they may or may not save in 5 years. It was not reporting on past governments of any colour so not relevant to my postWhat report are you referring to?

I can five you a link to the report I'm referencing to, if that would make it easier for you.

These are not my opinions or facts, they've been put together by an expert in his field, a professor from a University in Sheffield I think.

He concludes that every Tory government has borrowed more and repaid less than any labour government. He shows all the data and gives explanations for all his findings.

It's hard to refute such facts, given by an expert in his field, using the relevant data he uses.

Mrs x"

I think you have my posts mixed up with those of Notme and judging by his post he has me mixed up with your good self. I have at no point disputed what you say, in fact I mentioned it has nothing to do with my post which was purely about this government and what they have done since taking office. The report was a sky news report

milton keynes

Mrs x

Definitely need to wait and see but as the report pointed out, the start is not great having already spent all of the money they may or may not save in 5 years. It was not reporting on past governments of any colour so not relevant to my post

Do you expect the next conservative government to inherit a debt larger or smaller than the debt inherited by this Labour Party when they took power?"

Please see above, I think posts and responses are mixed as I was not part of your conversation

By *mateur100Man 3 weeks ago

nr faversham

No legislation can even be spoke about let alone passed."

Really? What about the OAP winter fuel allowance being scrapped?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

"A quote from the Guardian on this 'According to the political economist Richard Murphy, between 1946 and 2021, the Tories “always borrowed more than Labour, and always repaid less” of the national debt.'"

It has to be The Guardian, because none of the other papers will print anything Richard "potato" Murphy says. This is one of his regular statements, that he refuses to back up. He claims to have trawled through House of Commons records for the past 70 years, gathering the figures needed for his analysis, but he refuses to release those figures to anyone else for examination.

Murphy is a rabid socialist, and Tory-hater. He's proved time and again that he's not beyond 'creating' figures to get his point across. As a general rule of thumb, if a quote is attributed to Richard Murphy, it's a good idea to double check it before repeating it. Or, as is more usually the case, double check it and then decide not to repeat it as it's clearly not true.

Wallasey

Mrs x

Do you expect the next conservative government to inherit a debt larger or smaller than the debt inherited by this Labour Party when they took power?"

I answer this and give you the 6 winning numbers for the next few Lotterys when I get my crystal ball up and running, Mrs x

Wallasey

"A quote from the Guardian on this 'According to the political economist Richard Murphy, between 1946 and 2021, the Tories “always borrowed more than Labour, and always repaid less” of the national debt.'

It has to be The Guardian, because none of the other papers will print anything Richard "potato" Murphy says. This is one of his regular statements, that he refuses to back up. He claims to have trawled through House of Commons records for the past 70 years, gathering the figures needed for his analysis, but he refuses to release those figures to anyone else for examination.

Murphy is a rabid socialist, and Tory-hater. He's proved time and again that he's not beyond 'creating' figures to get his point across. As a general rule of thumb, if a quote is attributed to Richard Murphy, it's a good idea to double check it before repeating it. Or, as is more usually the case, double check it and then decide not to repeat it as it's clearly not true.

"

I'll post his research for you tomorrow if you'd like to read it?

Mrs x

Wallasey

Mrs x

Definitely need to wait and see but as the report pointed out, the start is not great having already spent all of the money they may or may not save in 5 years. It was not reporting on past governments of any colour so not relevant to my postWhat report are you referring to?

Mrs x

I think you have my posts mixed up with those of Notme and judging by his post he has me mixed up with your good self. I have at no point disputed what you say, in fact I mentioned it has nothing to do with my post which was purely about this government and what they have done since taking office. The report was a sky news report"

Sorry, Mrs x

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

"A quote from the Guardian on this 'According to the political economist Richard Murphy, between 1946 and 2021, the Tories “always borrowed more than Labour, and always repaid less” of the national debt.'"

"It has to be The Guardian, because none of the other papers will print anything Richard "potato" Murphy says. This is one of his regular statements, that he refuses to back up. He claims to have trawled through House of Commons records for the past 70 years, gathering the figures needed for his analysis, but he refuses to release those figures to anyone else for examination.

Murphy is a rabid socialist, and Tory-hater. He's proved time and again that he's not beyond 'creating' figures to get his point across. As a general rule of thumb, if a quote is attributed to Richard Murphy, it's a good idea to double check it before repeating it. Or, as is more usually the case, double check it and then decide not to repeat it as it's clearly not true."

"I'll post his research for you tomorrow if you'd like to read it?

Mrs x"

I've read it before. It's heavy on opinion, and extremely light on facts.

But I'm sure other people would like to see it, and a link would be greatly appreciated.

Wallasey

"A quote from the Guardian on this 'According to the political economist Richard Murphy, between 1946 and 2021, the Tories “always borrowed more than Labour, and always repaid less” of the national debt.'

I'll post his research for you tomorrow if you'd like to read it?

Mrs x

I've read it before. It's heavy on opinion, and extremely light on facts.

But I'm sure other people would like to see it, and a link would be greatly appreciated."

You might not agree with his political leanings but he's an actual professor, not some nutter spouting random shite.

I don't know your academic background or whether you're an expert in this field but to become a professor you have to gain, if not votes, but the approval of peers within your field of expertise.

Even the Guardian wouldn't publish anything that's 'light' on facts.

I'll put it up tomorrow.

Mrs x

Terra Firma

Mrs x

Do you expect the next conservative government to inherit a debt larger or smaller than the debt inherited by this Labour Party when they took power?

Please see above, I think posts and responses are mixed as I was not part of your conversation"

Sorry, a wrong reply to, ends up in confession. My bad

Terra Firma

Mrs x

Do you expect the next conservative government to inherit a debt larger or smaller than the debt inherited by this Labour Party when they took power?I answer this and give you the 6 winning numbers for the next few Lotterys when I get my crystal ball up and running, Mrs x"

Random lottery numbers are not a measure, the answer is yes to the question I asked.

Wallasey

Mrs x

Do you expect the next conservative government to inherit a debt larger or smaller than the debt inherited by this Labour Party when they took power?I answer this and give you the 6 winning numbers for the next few Lotterys when I get my crystal ball up and running, Mrs x

Random lottery numbers are not a measure, the answer is yes to the question I asked.

"

If you know the answer why ask me the question. Mrs x

Terra Firma

Mrs x

Do you expect the next conservative government to inherit a debt larger or smaller than the debt inherited by this Labour Party when they took power?I answer this and give you the 6 winning numbers for the next few Lotterys when I get my crystal ball up and running, Mrs x

If you know the answer why ask me the question. Mrs x"

I needed a gauge

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 26/08/24 09:18:46]

By *immyinreadingMan 3 weeks ago

henley on thames

Labour told lies to get into power. Anyone who beloved the lies and is surprised by their actions deserves what they get

Terra Firma

Whine, whine, whine.

They knew of the shortfall but not the extent.

Nhs staff had a well below inflation rate last year and this year was planned to address that (a bit).

The last govt didn't deal with the junior doctors fairly.

I think with Martin Lewis on the case they'll readdress the fuel payment to pensioners, but were right it shouldn't be a universal benefit.

Stopping freedom of speech or simply upping the consequences when that speech is inciting hatred?

Starmer didn't promise he wouldn't raise any taxes, just particular ones."

Talking about what labour have changed or are attempting to change is whining?

The labour party lied about not knowing the shortfall or were totally incompetent in opposition.

In terms of tax rises, lets see what is on the table, and pick this back up then, you assume not too bad and I'm not so sure due to the direction of travel in the first month.

Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act was intended to stop radicalised university students and lecturers imposing their left wing populist views on the freedom to debate. Labour stopped this bill, due to the potential for hate speech towards vulnerable groups. I think that is a long winded way of saying they will be the judge of what is acceptable in terms of challenge and will control the narrative.

Universities should be a learning experience, not a sterile aggressive environment that does not accept differing views, it should be a place that allows ideas to be formed from some of the brightest minds, and not a place that spits out radicalised individuals.

The idea that a person would ever be allowed to preach hate on campus is utterly ridiculous and hiding behind that to maintain the cancel culture and no platforming is an indicator on Starmer's government control, which I find concerning, as I'm not for state control.

Not sure what to say about Martin Lewis being on the case and having so much influence. I would expect labour ministers to be doing that job, not a tv pundit

By *enSiskoMan 3 weeks ago

Cestus 3

I am in a growing group of people who will not vote for the same old same old.

Enough is enough for me, I saw all this coming and the why before an election was called.

We are one of the richest countries in the world, but some of us live as if we were in a third world country.

Policies that the tories have done, are being continued, and the pledges have been thrown out the door, "because we never knew how bad things were"

Balderdash

Brighton

"Labour told lies to get into power. Anyone who beloved the lies and is surprised by their actions deserves what they get "

Did Labour tell lies? Which ones exactly? Are you able to provide a source to back that up please so we can see the lies for ourselves. Thanks

Brighton

"I am in a growing group of people who will not vote for the same old same old.

Enough is enough for me, I saw all this coming and the why before an election was called.

We are one of the richest countries in the world, but some of us live as if we were in a third world country.

Policies that the tories have done, are being continued, and the pledges have been thrown out the door, "because we never knew how bad things were"

Balderdash"

Which pledges?

Wallasey

Balderdash

Which pledges?"

This should be good. MRS X

Peterborough

"Labour told lies to get into power. Anyone who beloved the lies and is surprised by their actions deserves what they get "

What lies?

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

"Labour told lies to get into power. Anyone who beloved the lies and is surprised by their actions deserves what they get

Did Labour tell lies? Which ones exactly? Are you able to provide a source to back that up please so we can see the lies for ourselves. Thanks "

I’m not sure about lies, but looking back at the pre election campaign they were definitely disingenuous about tax rises. All they said was no income tax, vat and corporation tax rises. It now looks like everything else except these three will be taxed.

There was no mention of cutting the oldies winter fuel payments before the election

nearby

"

"

Compared to other developed countries the UK has a very unequal distribution of income, with a Gini coefficient of 0.351.

3 million dependant on food banks

Fifth of children living in poverty.

£2.6 trn national debt, equivalent to £100,000 per household.

nearby

Balderdash

Which pledges?"

Great British rail

Great British energy

1.5 million new homes including 300,000 for social rent (30k social rent built last year, with net loss of 11,700)

By *hrill CollinsMan 3 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

"

Great British rail

Great British energy

1.5 million new homes including 300,000 for social rent (30k social rent built last year, with net loss of 11,700)

"

the lying bastards have had 7 fucking weeks .... why haven't they sorted out all this shit yet ffs?

nearby

Keir Starmer has been broken at least three promises so far

Free movement with the EU

It was one of the most contentious questions in the EU referendum: whether the UK could, or should, keep freedom of movement with the EU after Brexit.

The policy allowed Brits to live and work in the 27 EU member states – granting equivalent rights for citizens of those countries here.

Perhaps unsurprisingly for someone who supported Remain in the referendum, Keir Starmer said in his 2020 campaign to become Labour leader “we have to make the case for the benefits of migration; for the benefits of free movement”.

Asked at the time whether that would mean arguing for free movement to be reinstated after Brexit, he said “of course, bring back, argue for, challenge”.

And the “Ten Pledges” he set out in that leadership campaign included a promise to “defend free movement as we leave the EU”.

But in 2022, Mr Starmer ruled out a return to free movement if he becomes prime minister. And just this year, Labour rejected an offer from the EU to make it easier for young adults under 30 to work in a member state. The party told journalists there would be “no return to the single market, customs union or free movement” under Labour.

Tuition fees

Keir Starmer’s 2020 leadership campaign also included a pledge to “support the abolition of tuition fees” for university students in England.

But as FactCheck reported last year, he’s since said he wants Labour to “move on” from the plan. He also said the current system is “unfair” and “doesn’t really work” for students or universities”. But, he said, “we are likely to move on from that commitment because we do find ourselves in a different financial situation.”

He’s since gone further, and now admits that tuition fee abolition won’t happen under a future Labour government. Mr Starmer says he was forced to choose between funding this pledge or putting more cash into the NHS.

£28bn for the Green Prosperity Fund

In 2021, Keir Starmer’s shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves announced “an additional £28bn of capital investment in our country’s green transition for each and every year of this decade”.

The pledge was watered down in June last year, when Ms Reeves said the money would not be spent straightaway. And in February this year, Keir Starmer dropped the £28bn pledge altogether.

Though Labour says it will stick to other green policies – including a promise to generate all UK electricity without additional greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.

A Labour spokesperson told FactCheck: “The Conservatives crashed the economy meaning an incoming Labour government would have to make tough decisions. But unlike Rishi Sunak, we have looked the public in the eye and been honest about what we can deliver.

“The next Labour government will deliver economic stability with tough spending rules, so we can grow our economy (inherited from tories) and keep taxes, inflation and mortgages as low as possible.”

Channel4 factcheck.

nr faversham

I'm astounded that people who clearly have left or right leaning views feel justified in criticising when it's the other side doing something yet absolutely supportive if it's their side doing it. It's no different to the football support...hate harry kane for example if he scores against your side but he scores for England and the same saps love him for 90 mins

By *an DeLyonMan 3 weeks ago

County Durham

Pretty shit do far. I wasn't expecting a traditional labour party and more of a Tory lite

Version but it's looking worse so far.

By *arakiss12TV/TS 3 weeks ago

Bedford

What happened to the windfall tax on high earning energy companies?

I think it will end in tears for labour. Give em enough rope and they hang themselves every time.

I'm politically unbiased, Kier is overestimating the positive effect tax rises will have. "For the long term good of the country" I've been hearing that since the beginning of time I'll be dead before I benefit from the effects.

Wait till he falls out with the Unions then we'll see him morph into a draconian Tony/Margaret hybrid it's only a matter of time. He's already half way there. Pay offers are only doing what was expected he's not doing it as a favour. Having a go at the elderly erm hints of Boris and covid and let the bodies pile up.

So far I'm not impressed.

nearby

Starmer has cancelled the £40M contract on the VIP helicopter. (used extensively by the former prime minister Rishi Sunak)

There’s a contribution the Rachels £20bn black hole.

Cestus 3

Balderdash

Which pledges?"

Increase income tax for the top 5% of earners, reverse corporation tax,

Closing detention centres.

Thats without looking it up.

At this time no politician can be trusted, we all need to remind them who really holds power.

Cestus 3

Balderdash

Which pledges?This should be good. MRS X"

As long as you know who you're thinking this should be good about who.

As sometimes you seem to get confused.

Cestus 3

"Labour told lies to get into power. Anyone who beloved the lies and is surprised by their actions deserves what they get

Keir Starmer has been broken at least three promises so far

Free movement with the EU

It was one of the most contentious questions in the EU referendum: whether the UK could, or should, keep freedom of movement with the EU after Brexit.

The policy allowed Brits to live and work in the 27 EU member states – granting equivalent rights for citizens of those countries here.

Perhaps unsurprisingly for someone who supported Remain in the referendum, Keir Starmer said in his 2020 campaign to become Labour leader “we have to make the case for the benefits of migration; for the benefits of free movement”.

Asked at the time whether that would mean arguing for free movement to be reinstated after Brexit, he said “of course, bring back, argue for, challenge”.

And the “Ten Pledges” he set out in that leadership campaign included a promise to “defend free movement as we leave the EU”.

But in 2022, Mr Starmer ruled out a return to free movement if he becomes prime minister. And just this year, Labour rejected an offer from the EU to make it easier for young adults under 30 to work in a member state. The party told journalists there would be “no return to the single market, customs union or free movement” under Labour.

Tuition fees

Keir Starmer’s 2020 leadership campaign also included a pledge to “support the abolition of tuition fees” for university students in England.

But as FactCheck reported last year, he’s since said he wants Labour to “move on” from the plan. He also said the current system is “unfair” and “doesn’t really work” for students or universities”. But, he said, “we are likely to move on from that commitment because we do find ourselves in a different financial situation.”

He’s since gone further, and now admits that tuition fee abolition won’t happen under a future Labour government. Mr Starmer says he was forced to choose between funding this pledge or putting more cash into the NHS.

£28bn for the Green Prosperity Fund

In 2021, Keir Starmer’s shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves announced “an additional £28bn of capital investment in our country’s green transition for each and every year of this decade”.

The pledge was watered down in June last year, when Ms Reeves said the money would not be spent straightaway. And in February this year, Keir Starmer dropped the £28bn pledge altogether.

Though Labour says it will stick to other green policies – including a promise to generate all UK electricity without additional greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.

A Labour spokesperson told FactCheck: “The Conservatives crashed the economy meaning an incoming Labour government would have to make tough decisions. But unlike Rishi Sunak, we have looked the public in the eye and been honest about what we can deliver.

“The next Labour government will deliver economic stability with tough spending rules, so we can grow our economy (inherited from tories) and keep taxes, inflation and mortgages as low as possible.”

Channel4 factcheck.

"

If you have a pipe you all can smoke all it, I was a labour voter but heard the same old sh1te.

It seems those who questioned me as to the 10 pledges do not know what labour stood for and what they stand for now.

Stop sticking up for these shysters as it is you who they are rolling over.

henley on thames

Did Labour tell lies? Which ones exactly? Are you able to provide a source to back that up please so we can see the lies for ourselves. Thanks "

Wholesale lies. Check out their manifesto, and check what they do instead.

When they say they will do something, get elected on the strength of that promise, and then do something different, that’s a lie. Simple.

Watch as the lies continue to reveal themselves

Wallasey

Did Labour tell lies? Which ones exactly? Are you able to provide a source to back that up please so we can see the lies for ourselves. Thanks

When they say they will do something, get elected on the strength of that promise, and then do something different, that’s a lie. Simple.

Watch as the lies continue to reveal themselves "

Have they actually done something that contradicts their manifesto pledges yet? If they have can you tell us what they are and how they have done this?

Or is this something that you 'feel' they will do?

Also if they don't adhere to the manifesto pledges will they be the first party to do so? And if they don't will this be due to unforseen things that make sticking to commitments difficult or have they just said any random 'stuff' to get elected?

Mrs x

Cestus 3

Watch as the lies continue to reveal themselves Have they actually done something that contradicts their manifesto pledges yet? If they have can you tell us what they are and how they have done this?

Also if they don't adhere to the manifesto pledges will they be the first party to do so? And if they don't will this be due to unforseen things that make sticking to commitments difficult or have they just said any random 'stuff' to get elected?

Mrs x"

Read the thread as it is spelt out what they promised and what is actually happening.

Wallasey

Watch as the lies continue to reveal themselves Have they actually done something that contradicts their manifesto pledges yet? If they have can you tell us what they are and how they have done this?

Mrs x

Read the thread as it is spelt out what they promised and what is actually happening."

I have and I cannot see were they have broken a pledge yet, can you point one out please?

Mrs x

Wallasey

Balderdash

Which pledges?This should be good. MRS X

As sometimes you seem to get confused."

You're answer should have been good but once again you choose not to answer put to you.

Mrs x

Cwmbran

Why do people keep on defending Labour? It's laughable

Wallasey

"Why do people keep on defending Labour? It's laughable "
Because they are not the Tories, maybe? Nothing they did was laughable.

Mrs x

Cwmbran

Both are utterly useless. There's no defending either

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 3 weeks ago

golden fields

"Both are utterly useless. There's no defending either "

I agree.

Although I will say that anyone who has expectations that Labour would be able to undo all the damage from the past 14 years in a matter of a couple of months, probably had unrealistic expectations.

Wallasey

"Both are utterly useless. There's no defending either "
I'm just as cynical as the next person when it comes to politicians. However I think you can only defend someone for what they've done.

So I understand how you can say you cannot defend the Tories after what they have done in the last 24 years. But I don't think you can say that about the Labour Party just yet. They've not been in power long enough to have done anything which really needs defending.

Mrs x

henley on thames

Mrs x"

I see you’ve fallen for the excuses … “unforeseen” circumstances 😂!!

By *estivalMan 3 weeks ago

borehamwood

"Why do people keep on defending Labour? It's laughable Because they are not the Tories, maybe? Nothing they did was laughable.

Mrs x"

there not the tories? Really lol you could of fooled me because they certainly don't look anything like the labour party

Wallasey

Mrs x

I see you’ve fallen for the excuses … “unforeseen” circumstances 😂!!"

Not fallen for anything, it's dead easy to say something without backing it up with facts.

I asked some questions none of which have been answered.

Mrs x

Wallasey

"Why do people keep on defending Labour? It's laughable Because they are not the Tories, maybe? Nothing they did was laughable.

Mrs xthere not the tories? Really lol you could of fooled me because they certainly don't look anything like the labour party"

So what does the Labour party look like to you then?

Mrs x

Cestus 3

Mrs x

Read the thread as it is spelt out what they promised and what is actually happening.I have and I cannot see were they have broken a pledge yet, can you point one out please?

Mrs x"

Fool is what fool gets.

Tax rises for the top 5% earners scrapped.

The rest go find yourself as it is on this thread.

A very nice gentlemen did the research and posted it further up.

All you need to do is read.

By the way you are sure of who you are conversing with?

Cestus 3

Balderdash

As sometimes you seem to get confused.You're answer should have been good but once again you choose not to answer put to you.

Mrs x"

Stupid is what stupid gets, Forrest Gump.

I have no need to answer when it has been posted on this thread Ho my days

Wallasey

Balderdash

As sometimes you seem to get confused.You're answer should have been good but once again you choose not to answer put to you.

Mrs x

I have no need to answer when it has been posted on this thread Ho my days"

So you don't have an answer, you just want to refer to someone else's answer but you cannot point it out? Have I got that right?

Mrs x

milton keynes

Mrs xthere not the tories? Really lol you could of fooled me because they certainly don't look anything like the labour party"

Not being the Tories was their greatest asset pre election in my opinion. Not sure what they are now though. Tory light was often mentioned and they do seem to have already started rewarding their mates with top jobs etc like the Tories did. Something we was told would improve under Labour but seems all to familiar. Attacking some of the poorest in society by punishing 10 million pensioners was a shock from the so called grown ups. Still tax rises on the horizon, excuses made, and others to be blamed so perhaps still Labour at heart.

Cestus 3

Balderdash

Mrs x

I have no need to answer when it has been posted on this thread Ho my daysSo you don't have an answer, you just want to refer to someone else's answer but you cannot point it out? Have I got that right?

Mrs x"

No you haven't there is no point imo to repost another posters comment, you just have to look.

"I am not going to spoon feed you."

Have you heard that before somewhere on another thread maybe?

Peterborough

I’m not sure about lies, but looking back at the pre election campaign they were definitely disingenuous about tax rises. All they said was no income tax, vat and corporation tax rises. It now looks like everything else except these three will be taxed.

There was no mention of cutting the oldies winter fuel payments before the election "

Anyone with a brain cell knew some taxes would have to be raised. It wasnt deception.

As for the fuel payment, the govt will do more than just its manifesto promises.

nr faversham

There was no mention of cutting the oldies winter fuel payments before the election

Anyone with a brain cell knew some taxes would have to be raised. It wasnt deception.

As for the fuel payment, the govt will do more than just its manifesto promises."

Anyone with a brain cell? That's a very negative comment on the electorate. As for your second comment, I doubt it will deliver much OTHER than it's manifesto pledges but use wordsmiths and statisticians to make you think otherwise. But hey, I'm sure you know best

By *arakiss12TV/TS 3 weeks ago

Bedford

So he's given the strikers pay rises, and then he's going to tax them and everyone else. Won't that put prices up and then inflation and then interest rates. Wasn't that Truss's folly. Looks like the black hole just got bigger. Looks like he's lost the next election already.

Cestus 3

"So he's given the strikers pay rises, and then he's going to tax them and everyone else. Won't that put prices up and then inflation and then interest rates. Wasn't that Truss's folly. Looks like the black hole just got bigger. Looks like he's lost the next election already."

Lets say at the next election, Labour were on the ropes, who would you vote for knowing what you know regarding Labour and the tories.

That is if you bother to vote at all after this shambles.

I would say for me no one, but that's me how about you or anyone else.

Cwmbran

Could rattle off at least two labour defenders from the politics forum who will bend over for Labour next election

By *oxychick35Couple 3 weeks ago

thornaby

"So he's given the strikers pay rises, and then he's going to tax them and everyone else. Won't that put prices up and then inflation and then interest rates. Wasn't that Truss's folly. Looks like the black hole just got bigger. Looks like he's lost the next election already.

Lets say at the next election, Labour were on the ropes, who would you vote for knowing what you know regarding Labour and the tories.

I would say for me no one, but that's me how about you or anyone else."

if labour keep going like this it’s an easy win for reform

golden fields

"So he's given the strikers pay rises, and then he's going to tax them and everyone else. Won't that put prices up and then inflation and then interest rates. Wasn't that Truss's folly. Looks like the black hole just got bigger. Looks like he's lost the next election already.

I would say for me no one, but that's me how about you or anyone else.if labour keep going like this it’s an easy win for reform "

Do you think Labour voters would bypass the options in between their party and Reform?

thornaby

I would say for me no one, but that's me how about you or anyone else.if labour keep going like this it’s an easy win for reform

Do you think Labour voters would bypass the options in between their party and Reform? "

labour seen there voters jump to conservatives not long ago and if starmer keeps going like this they will do so again but this time to reform

golden fields

I would say for me no one, but that's me how about you or anyone else.if labour keep going like this it’s an easy win for reform

Do you think Labour voters would bypass the options in between their party and Reform? labour seen there voters jump to conservatives not long ago and if starmer keeps going like this they will do so again but this time to reform "

That's some 180 in how they might want the country to be run.

thornaby

Do you think Labour voters would bypass the options in between their party and Reform? labour seen there voters jump to conservatives not long ago and if starmer keeps going like this they will do so again but this time to reform

That's some 180 in how they might want the country to be run."

if the will of the ppl is ignored they will vote accordingly it’s happened before o

golden fields

Do you think Labour voters would bypass the options in between their party and Reform? labour seen there voters jump to conservatives not long ago and if starmer keeps going like this they will do so again but this time to reform

That's some 180 in how they might want the country to be run.if the will of the ppl is ignored they will vote accordingly it’s happened before o"

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, if their will as Labour voters is for a more moderate government, which tries to do something for ordinary people, tries to tackle problems in the country, look after the environment etc. (I'm presuming this is what Labour voters want). Then they're unlikely to bin all that and vote for the Blame-everything-on-foriegners party, with a dash of 'science isn't real' thrown in.

Peterborough

Do you think Labour voters would bypass the options in between their party and Reform? labour seen there voters jump to conservatives not long ago and if starmer keeps going like this they will do so again but this time to reform "

For the one issue GE in 2019 yeah.

thornaby

That's some 180 in how they might want the country to be run.if the will of the ppl is ignored they will vote accordingly it’s happened before o

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, if their will as Labour voters is for a more moderate government, which tries to do something for ordinary people, tries to tackle problems in the country, look after the environment etc. (I'm presuming this is what Labour voters want). Then they're unlikely to bin all that and vote for the Blame-everything-on-foriegners party, with a dash of 'science isn't real' thrown in. "

you actually believe that aswell just like starmer not listening to the ppl

milton keynes

"So he's given the strikers pay rises, and then he's going to tax them and everyone else. Won't that put prices up and then inflation and then interest rates. Wasn't that Truss's folly. Looks like the black hole just got bigger. Looks like he's lost the next election already."

I doubt this will loose Labour the next GE but it's certainly bad optics straight after taking office. Doing the unpopular things early is a common tactic especially with a huge majority. They will hope that once these next tax rises are out the way then it will steadily get better and by the time of the next GE this will be a distant memory. Hopefully other parties will make sure it's not forgotten. One of the balancing acts they need to perform is not to damage growth is with the impending tax rises. It's often mentioned we have the highest tax in many years but Labour are about to make that better by raising them further. They need to keep up the good growth in the economy to afford future things

By *an DeLyonMan 3 weeks ago

County Durham

Doom and gloom for the next budget in October.

golden fields

That's some 180 in how they might want the country to be run.if the will of the ppl is ignored they will vote accordingly it’s happened before o

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, if their will as Labour voters is for a more moderate government, which tries to do something for ordinary people, tries to tackle problems in the country, look after the environment etc. (I'm presuming this is what Labour voters want). Then they're unlikely to bin all that and vote for the Blame-everything-on-foriegners party, with a dash of 'science isn't real' thrown in. you actually believe that aswell just like starmer not listening to the ppl "

What do I believe?

Which people isn't Starmer listening to?

Cestus 3

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, if their will as Labour voters is for a more moderate government, which tries to do something for ordinary people, tries to tackle problems in the country, look after the environment etc. (I'm presuming this is what Labour voters want). Then they're unlikely to bin all that and vote for the Blame-everything-on-foriegners party, with a dash of 'science isn't real' thrown in. you actually believe that aswell just like starmer not listening to the ppl

What do I believe?

Which people isn't Starmer listening to?"

At the moment Starmer is not listening to those who want arms to Israel stopped.

henley on thames

That's some 180 in how they might want the country to be run.if the will of the ppl is ignored they will vote accordingly it’s happened before o"

When?

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

Turns out all those pledges were written in vanishing ink.

» Add a new message to this topic