FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Bumper Pay Rises for ASLEF Train Operators

Bumper Pay Rises for ASLEF Train Operators

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *roadShoulderz OP   Man 5 weeks ago

Aberdeen

So the Daily Mail headlines with Bumper Pay Rises totalling 15% over 3 years. (5%, 4.75% and 4.5% for this year)

The Times reports Tories accuse Labour of caving in to the Unions with this pay deal.

Today Aviva announces a 14% increase in profits over the last SIX MONTHS. Aviva being the largest UK insurer with 19 million customers.

Is price gouging by large companies actually the main cause of inflation, not (below inflation) pay rises to workers?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atEvolutionCouple 5 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Well. First you have to prove that the company is actually price gouging and if it is part of a national infrastructure, if it isn't effects will only be felt locally.

Price gouging can lead to localized inflationary pressures, particularly in specific markets or during crises. However, its impact on broader, long-term inflation is usually limited and depends on the scale and duration of the gouging, as well as the effectiveness of regulatory responses.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 5 weeks ago

nearby

"So the Daily Mail headlines with Bumper Pay Rises totalling 15% over 3 years. (5%, 4.75% and 4.5% for this year)

The Times reports Tories accuse Labour of caving in to the Unions with this pay deal.

Today Aviva announces a 14% increase in profits over the last SIX MONTHS. Aviva being the largest UK insurer with 19 million customers.

Is price gouging by large companies actually the main cause of inflation, not (below inflation) pay rises to workers?"

Well the monarch had 45% pay rise this year and his head of property had 50%.

The doctors got 21% over three years

5%/4.75% Rail pay offer that’s accepted is good news.

We can see the pecking order here, as usual the workers get the least.

By (user no longer on site) 5 weeks ago

The monarchy got a 45% increase on investments that are openly declared and not ferreted away in shell companies and trusts...It is in fact impossible legally to truly audit the accounts of the monarchy.

'The workers get the least'. Not suggesting folk don't deserve pay increases but people need to start helping themselves by actually making themselves more valuble and not easily replacing. A warehouse worker can be replaced very fast these days thanks to the 'enriching' immigration we have now. Don't you all feel enriched?

By *oah VailMan 5 weeks ago

Dover

The Daily Mail can get in the sea.

2020 RPI 1.5% - my pay rise 0% - pay offer 0%

2021 RPI 4% - my pay rise 0% - pay offer 0%

2022 RPI 11.6% - my pay rise 0% - pay offer 5%

2023 RPI 9.7% - my pay rise 0% - pay offer 4.75%

2024 RPI rates so far this year 4.3% - my pay rise 0% - pay offer 4.5%

This, if accepted, equates to approximately a 15% uplift over a period where salaries have been devalued by more than 30%.

If anyone cannot still grasp the figures, or thinks that “inflation falling” without it sitting in negative figures comparable with the previous high ones for the same length of time means that things have gone back to how they were, then I guess I can’t paint it any clearer.

ASLEF - Here comes Labour - Here come the Strikes !!!

LNER is already Nationalised - Ooops there goes Labours argument for Nationalisation to end the strikes. !!!

Let the strikes begin.

Dover

"ASLEF - Here comes Labour - Here come the Strikes !!!

LNER is already Nationalised - Ooops there goes Labours argument for Nationalisation to end the strikes. !!!

Let the strikes begin.

"

Is it even possible to get a firmer grip on the wrong end of the stick?

LNER, Northern, Trans-Pennine Express and SE Trains aren’t “nationalised” already; they’re being run under the Operator of Last Resort. Because the private franchise holders failed. They’re, jointly, one of the strongest arguments for renationalising.

You couldn’t make a better job of illustrating the fact that you know nothing about how the rail industry, unionism or politics work if you tried.

[Removed by poster at 16/08/24 12:30:56]

[Removed by poster at 16/08/24 12:29:41]

****The Department for Transport

The Department for Transport, or DfT owns LNER. They took over the franchise after Virgin Trains East Coast handed it back to the government. For us it's a brilliant opportunity to bring rail travel up to speed and journey into the future.*****

Keep up.

Dover

I rest my case.

Oh Dear

"I rest my case. "

****Five lines, including Southeastern and LNER, are effectively nationalised as their franchise operators were brought under Government control through the “operator of last resort” scheme.25 Apr 2024****

I rest a better case.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 5 weeks ago

Cumbria

That the Mail calls 15% over 3 years ‘bumper’ shows very clearly the narrative they are trying to establish.

Dover

"That the Mail calls 15% over 3 years ‘bumper’ shows very clearly the narrative they are trying to establish."

Indeed. Particularly, as the RPI figures for the same period are 32% (and CPI 29%).

"

I rest a better case. "

No, you simply illustrate your lack of understanding.

The fact that the Operator of Last Resort process has had to be invoked multiple times (twice in fact in the case of Connex/Southeastern), clearly demonstrates that the privatised franchise system was fatally flawed from day one.

There is a huge gulf between how the previous Conservative administration were instructing their management teams to run the four OLR operations (temporarily, with no remit to improve industrial relations), and how Labour’s plan for restructuring the entire railway is set to move forward.

The plans Labour have will require full commitment and cooperation between all the involved parties; getting staff on side for what are certain to be fairly major changes is going to be key to that success. Taking swift and positive action to demonstrate that not “all governments are just the same” is, in my opinion, a vital first step.

And I speak as someone who has direct, personal experience; not someone who gleans half truths from propaganda rags with vested interests.

So. Classroom Sstyle:

1.Nationalisation Meaning:

***Nationalization is the process of transforming privately-owned assets into public assets by bringing them under the public ownership of a national government or state. Nationalization contrasts with privatization and with demutualization.****

2. Public Ownership: Meaning:

****When a government acquires assets such as machinery, factories, railways, or others, this process is called nationalisation. Industries that are ‘publicly’ owned or state-owned are referred to as nationalised industries.****

3. *****The Department for Transport - A 'State Owned' Department of the UK Government:****

4. The Department for Transport, or DfT owns LNER. They took over the franchise after Virgin Trains East Coast . For us it's a brilliant opportunity to bring rail travel up to speed and journey into the future.*****

5. ****Five lines, including Southeastern and LNER, are effectively nationalised as their franchise operators were brought under Government control through the “operator of last resort” scheme.25 Apr 2024****

*******handed it back to the government****** vis-a-vi

Therefore. 'State owned' and run by the UK Government. Go back to statement 1. Above.

Homework must be in by Monday 9am.

Aberdeen

"That the Mail calls 15% over 3 years ‘bumper’ shows very clearly the narrative they are trying to establish.

Indeed. Particularly, as the RPI figures for the same period are 32% (and CPI 29%).

I rest a better case.

No, you simply illustrate your lack of understanding.

The fact that the Operator of Last Resort process has had to be invoked multiple times (twice in fact in the case of Connex/Southeastern), clearly demonstrates that the privatised franchise system was fatally flawed from day one.

There is a huge gulf between how the previous Conservative administration were instructing their management teams to run the four OLR operations (temporarily, with no remit to improve industrial relations), and how Labour’s plan for restructuring the entire railway is set to move forward.

The plans Labour have will require full commitment and cooperation between all the involved parties; getting staff on side for what are certain to be fairly major changes is going to be key to that success. Taking swift and positive action to demonstrate that not “all governments are just the same” is, in my opinion, a vital first step.

And I speak as someone who has direct, personal experience; not someone who gleans half truths from propaganda rags with vested interests. "

Great to have posts from someone directly involved. Clearly the proposed settlement is not inflationary, unlike the above inflation price increases inflicted on us by the insurers who are blatantly significantly increasing profits at all our expense.

The Tories are in a right tizzy today over the proposed ASLEF settlement. Does anyone care what the Tories think anymore?

Dover

I am not disputing any of that.

I am simply stating that the proposals from the new Labour government are a world apart from the way the previous Conservative government temporarily managed four of the 27 operating companies under the OLR.

You said:

" ASLEF - Here comes Labour - Here come the Strikes !!!

Let the strikes begin."

The strikes began under the Conservatives, and have continued unresolved for over two years.

With luck, they will have been ended under Labour in six weeks.

The argument for nationalisation is strengthened by the fact that the privateers have been either incapable of providing the services mandated, or have mismanaged their commitments so badly that they have been stripped of their contracts. The fact that the OLR has been invoked so many times since 1997 does not weaken the argument.

With luck, the strikes are over. I, for one, will be happy if I can finish my working life without having to go through it all again.

Dover

"

Great to have posts from someone directly involved. Clearly the proposed settlement is not inflationary, unlike the above inflation price increases inflicted on us by the insurers who are blatantly significantly increasing profits at all our expense.

The Tories are in a right tizzy today over the proposed ASLEF settlement. Does anyone care what the Tories think anymore?"

Thanks.

For what it’s worth, the offer is what’s needed to end the dispute. Those clamouring for rail reform will undoubtedly see some big changes in the coming months and years. There is a lot wrong with the railway, but its single biggest asset is its workforce and their inclusion in the process of change is vital.

LNER drivers announce new strikes in management row - *****two days after union backs government pay deal*****

The drivers, represented by the ASLEF (Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen) union, will go on strike for 22 days in total on Saturdays and Sundays starting in two weeks.

You can trust ASLEF.

Aberdeen

"

The Tories are in a right tizzy today over the proposed ASLEF settlement. Does anyone care what the Tories think anymore?

Thanks.

For what it’s worth, the offer is what’s needed to end the dispute. Those clamouring for rail reform will undoubtedly see some big changes in the coming months and years. There is a lot wrong with the railway, but its single biggest asset is its workforce and their inclusion in the process of change is vital. "

It's the same for any business or organisation. The worforce is its biggest asset and needs to be onside especially in times of change.

Sadly certain bosses and especially Tory politicians just see a workforce as a cost centre to keep cutting, whereas wise businessmen know you can't cut your way to success.

Dover

The dispute over pay that we have been discussing here affects the following operations: C2C, Greater Anglia, GTR, Great Northern, Thameslink, GTR Southern/Gatwick Express, Southeastern, SWR Depot Drivers, SWR Mainline, SWR Island Line, Avanti West Coast, Chiltern Railways, CrossCountry, East Midlands Railway, Great Western Railway, West Midlands Trains, LNER, Northern Trains and Transpennine Trains. If the offer is accepted by the 16,000 odd members affected, then that dispute will end.

The LNER dispute affects only LNER, and is entirely separate. It has nothing to do with pay, instead concerns the way in which too few drivers are being pressured to work too many hours. This is a management issue, directly related to how the previous government had instructed its agents, through the OLR, to put further pressure on drivers to work their days off. Hopefully the threatened strike action will not come to pass, given that the whole industry is poised for massive change. Regardless, as I say, it only applies to LNER, and not the entire network.

And yes, for what it’s worth, I do trust ASLEF. Much more than a politician of any variety.

By *idnight RamblerMan 5 weeks ago

Pershore

"

Thanks.

For what it’s worth, the offer is what’s needed to end the dispute. Those clamouring for rail reform will undoubtedly see some big changes in the coming months and years. There is a lot wrong with the railway, but its single biggest asset is its workforce and their inclusion in the process of change is vital.

It's the same for any business or organisation. The worforce is its biggest asset and needs to be onside especially in times of change.

Sadly certain bosses and especially Tory politicians just see a workforce as a cost centre to keep cutting, whereas wise businessmen know you can't cut your way to success."

Yes, but the rail unions are a liability that resist industry change which is commonplace elsewhere. They stick with old Spanish practices that are decades out of date. It's how we lost our preeminant position as the world's shipbuilding industry - the unions insisted on riveting methods long after the US and Japan were turning out ships in a third of the the time by welding.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 5 weeks ago

nearby

"

Thanks.

For what it’s worth, the offer is what’s needed to end the dispute. Those clamouring for rail reform will undoubtedly see some big changes in the coming months and years. There is a lot wrong with the railway, but its single biggest asset is its workforce and their inclusion in the process of change is vital. "

Absolutely, industrial action ended and move on. Same for ending junior doctors industrial action

The tories have argued with the unions, the police, the EU, doctors, nurses, teachers, cut council funding and made enemies of just about everyone else out there

Time to draw a line

Dover

[Removed by poster at 16/08/24 16:16:17]

Dover

"

Yes, but the rail unions are a liability that resist industry change which is commonplace elsewhere. They stick with old Spanish practices that are decades out of date. It's how we lost our preeminant position as the world's shipbuilding industry - the unions insisted on riveting methods long after the US and Japan were turning out ships in a third of the the time by welding."

I would not argue that, in the past, some unions behaved exactly as you describe.

However, I would take issue with using such broad terms to describe the ASLEF of today (and indeed the RMT). Both unions are progressive, democratic organisations, committed to the welfare of their members. There are very few full-time employees, most officers fulfill their union obligations in addition to their duties as train crew. I would be interested to know which of my workday practices you would consider “Spanish”.

Dover

"

Absolutely, industrial action ended and move on. Same for ending junior doctors industrial action

The tories have argued with the unions, the police, the EU, doctors, nurses, teachers, cut council funding and made enemies of just about everyone else out there

Time to draw a line "

I couldn’t agree more.

By *idnight RamblerMan 5 weeks ago

Pershore

"

Yes, but the rail unions are a liability that resist industry change which is commonplace elsewhere. They stick with old Spanish practices that are decades out of date. It's how we lost our preeminant position as the world's shipbuilding industry - the unions insisted on riveting methods long after the US and Japan were turning out ships in a third of the the time by welding.

I would not argue that, in the past, some unions behaved exactly as you describe.

However, I would take issue with using such broad terms to describe the ASLEF of today (and indeed the RMT). Both unions are progressive, democratic organisations, committed to the welfare of their members. There are very few full-time employees, most officers fulfill their union obligations in addition to their duties as train crew. I would be interested to know which of my workday practices you would consider “Spanish”.

"

Where are we with driverless trains? I know ASLEF and RMT were against in the past. I see driverless trains in Dubai, Malaysia, Singapore ..... why not UK?

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 5 weeks ago

Cumbria

"

Where are we with driverless trains? I know ASLEF and RMT were against in the past. I see driverless trains in Dubai, Malaysia, Singapore ..... why not UK?"

Aren’t ‘driverless’ trains generally only on low speed high frequency stop lines like metros or indeed the DLR?

By *mateur100Man 5 weeks ago

nr faversham

Fairly confident I suggested this would happen on another thread but I can't find it. In my opinion this is simply how it will go with public service pay deals, teachers next in-line, and inflation will ultimately stop and begin to rise again. I suspect that this disputed £20+bn black whole was significantly less but is now being filled by the pay deals for junior doctors, train drivers and who knows who's next

Like I said:

'Here comes Labour - Here come the Strikes !!!'

Border Force at Heathrow next.

Remember, the first day that Labour don't deal with it successfully is the first day that they 'own' the problem, and it can't be blamed on anyone else.

Dover

"

Where are we with driverless trains? I know ASLEF and RMT were against in the past. I see driverless trains in Dubai, Malaysia, Singapore ..... why not UK?"

As someone has said:

" Aren’t ‘driverless’ trains generally only on low speed high frequency stop lines like metros or indeed the DLR?"

All current “driverless” systems are currently closed loop, low speed, and specifically built as such. The obstacles to fully autonomous driverless trains on a network that incorporates level crossings, neighbours fields with livestock, has vegetation along its boundaries, deals with the vagaries of weather, and, crucially, was first built two centuries ago are enormous.

There is also the fact that the technology, currently, is still in the realm of science fiction, and the cost of developing it is predicted to run into the trillions. That’s before you start to consider the costs of incorporating that technology physically into the existing system.

There are 21,000 train drivers in this country. The projected costs to replace them with driverless trains is enough to make paying them for the next 1000 years a cheaper option.

I wouldn’t consider a reluctance to have your job replaced by a machine a Spanish practice though.

Dover

"Like I said:

Remember, the first day that Labour don't deal with it successfully is the first day that they 'own' the problem, and it can't be blamed on anyone else.

"

The Border Force have also been in dispute for two years. This is not a problem that Labour has created, it’s a mess they have inherited and are setting out to clean up.

"Like I said:

The Border Force have also been in dispute for two years. This is not a problem that Labour has created, it’s a mess they have inherited and are setting out to clean up. "

Read 'properly' what I said.

By *eroy1000Man 5 weeks ago

milton keynes

"Fairly confident I suggested this would happen on another thread but I can't find it. In my opinion this is simply how it will go with public service pay deals, teachers next in-line, and inflation will ultimately stop and begin to rise again. I suspect that this disputed £20+bn black whole was significantly less but is now being filled by the pay deals for junior doctors, train drivers and who knows who's next"

The financial black hole is only relevant whilst making excuses for freezing pensioners.

"

The financial black hole is only relevant whilst making excuses for freezing pensioners."

Aberdeen

"

Time to draw a line "

Yes absolutely, well said, but they argued more with themselves!

And they still don't understand the public are sick of them.

By *ronisMan 5 weeks ago

Edinburgh

"

Time to draw a line

And they still don't understand the public are sick of them."

A few more months of labour and people will be sick of them,if not already.

Aberdeen

"

Where are we with driverless trains? I know ASLEF and RMT were against in the past. I see driverless trains in Dubai, Malaysia, Singapore ..... why not UK?

As someone has said:

Aren’t ‘driverless’ trains generally only on low speed high frequency stop lines like metros or indeed the DLR?

All current “driverless” systems are currently closed loop, low speed, and specifically built as such. The obstacles to fully autonomous driverless trains on a network that incorporates level crossings, neighbours fields with livestock, has vegetation along its boundaries, deals with the vagaries of weather, and, crucially, was first built two centuries ago are enormous.

There is also the fact that the technology, currently, is still in the realm of science fiction, and the cost of developing it is predicted to run into the trillions. That’s before you start to consider the costs of incorporating that technology physically into the existing system.

There are 21,000 train drivers in this country. The projected costs to replace them with driverless trains is enough to make paying them for the next 1000 years a cheaper option.

I wouldn’t consider a reluctance to have your job replaced by a machine a Spanish practice though. "

A good analysis. We can't even build a high speed railway without giving up halfway through.

And it's the Daily Mail readers who get their zimmer frames rattling at the mere thought of a driverless car let alone a driverless train lol.

Aberdeen

"

Time to draw a line

And they still don't understand the public are sick of them.

A few more months of labour and people will be sick of them,if not already."

Perhaps, who knows?

We do have the Tory leadership election to look forward to. Which one out of the six will they choose. None of them seem to be PM material to me, but then the last four Tory PMs have been dire....

And it will be interesting to see how Farage gets on wiping the bottoms of Clactonites, and using his new found organ of democracy his seat in the HoC.

At least he has the good sense not to criticise Labour yet. The Tories look stupid doing so especially as Labour appears to have settled two long running and very damaging strikes.

Dover

"

We can't even build a high speed railway without giving up halfway through."

Indeed. HS2 was a proper attempt to address capacity issues on the WCML, one that we had already sunk billions of pounds into, and one that’s cancellation is likely to eventually have cost us more than finishing it would have. If we can’t see that through then self driving trains are a delusion.

By *mateur100Man 5 weeks ago

nr faversham

Where's Johnny with his views?

Aberdeen

"

We can't even build a high speed railway without giving up halfway through.

Indeed. HS2 was a proper attempt to address capacity issues on the WCML, one that we had already sunk billions of pounds into, and one that’s cancellation is likely to eventually have cost us more than finishing it would have. If we can’t see that through then self driving trains are a delusion. "

That's what I dislike so much about the Tories. They waste billions of pounds making political decisions, then reversing them, but when people on the frontline ask for pay rises due to inflation Tories throw their toys out of their pram.

What do you think of Crossrail? Took 40 years? 30 of them wasted by the politicians or am I incorrect?

By *astandFeistyCouple 5 weeks ago

Bournemouth

So ASLEF say thanks very much whilst simultaneously saying fuck you, we're still striking anyway.

I thought the adults were back in the room?

By *emma StonesTV/TS 5 weeks ago

Crewe

"So ASLEF say thanks very much whilst simultaneously saying fuck you, we're still striking anyway.

I thought the adults were back in the room?"

It’s nothing to do with pay.

Bournemouth

"So ASLEF say thanks very much whilst simultaneously saying fuck you, we're still striking anyway.

It’s nothing to do with pay."

Who said it was?

By *emma StonesTV/TS 5 weeks ago

Crewe

Who said it was?"

So you agree it’s a totally different situation and the national pay deal has no bearing on the on negotiations with one train operator.

Bournemouth

Who said it was?

So you agree it’s a totally different situation and the national pay deal has no bearing on the on negotiations with one train operator."

Where did I disagree?

You know the things they're striking about, they are actually legally obliged to carry out. Just refuse, it's really easy.

Dover

"That's what I dislike so much about the Tories. They waste billions of pounds making political decisions, then reversing them, but when people on the frontline ask for pay rises due to inflation Tories throw their toys out of their pram.

What do you think of Crossrail? Took 40 years? 30 of them wasted by the politicians or am I incorrect?"

I honestly don’t know much about it, but at least it’s finally done. Anything that gives people a viable public transport alternative is a good thing in my opinion.

By *hawn ScottMan 4 weeks ago

london Brixton

The UK doesn’t have any "driverless" trains take the DLR, it has a driver on board in case the automation fails so they can take over and for passenger safety etc

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"The UK doesn’t have any "driverless" trains take the DLR, it has a driver on board in case the automation fails so they can take over and for passenger safety etc"

On the DLR the 'service assistants' do useful work, like checking everyone is safe, and answering questions. They don't sit up the front in a sealed box away from all the passengers. They aren't 'drivers'.

The DLR is indeed "driverless" in normal operation. The trains only need to be manually driven in emergencies, and manual operation is at restricted speed because the humans can't be trusted as much as the automation. Both of the accidents on the DLR were caused by manual operation.

By *hrill CollinsMan 4 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

we are indeed very lucky as a country to have unions

By *mateur100Man 4 weeks ago

nr faversham

"we are indeed very lucky as a country to have unions "

I think we should've used the likes of Mick lynch in the Brexit negotiations

By *roadShoulderz OP   Man 4 weeks ago

Aberdeen

"we are indeed very lucky as a country to have unions "

At least the unions understand the frontline issues and tasks that train drivers face.

Boris Johnson promised in 2012 as part of his London Mayoral campaign that all London Underground trains would be driverless by 2022.

Needless to say another one of his failed vanity projects. The vast cost would far exceed any benefits and the money could be better spent on improving capacity and the customer experience.

Gilfach

[Removed by poster at 22/08/24 05:21:44]

Gilfach

"we are indeed very lucky as a country to have unions"

"At least the unions understand the frontline issues and tasks that train drivers face.

Boris Johnson promised in 2012 as part of his London Mayoral campaign that all London Underground trains would be driverless by 2022.

Needless to say another one of his failed vanity projects. The vast cost would far exceed any benefits and the money could be better spent on improving capacity and the customer experience."

The Central, Circle, District, Hammersmith and City, Jubilee, Metropolitan, Northern, and Victoria lines are already automated. Work is ongoing to bring other lines up to the same standard. If it weren't for the unions, we'd already have driverless tube trains.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"we are indeed very lucky as a country to have unions

At least the unions understand the frontline issues and tasks that train drivers face.

Needless to say another one of his failed vanity projects. The vast cost would far exceed any benefits and the money could be better spent on improving capacity and the customer experience.

The Central, Circle, District, Hammersmith and City, Jubilee, Metropolitan, Northern, and Victoria lines are already automated. Work is ongoing to bring other lines up to the same standard. If it weren't for the unions, we'd already have driverless tube trains."

If something happens to the train, or there is some kind of incident that means the train is stuck away from a station, and passengers are in danger, what happens?

Gilfach

"we are indeed very lucky as a country to have unions"

"At least the unions understand the frontline issues and tasks that train drivers face.

Needless to say another one of his failed vanity projects. The vast cost would far exceed any benefits and the money could be better spent on improving capacity and the customer experience."

"The Central, Circle, District, Hammersmith and City, Jubilee, Metropolitan, Northern, and Victoria lines are already automated. Work is ongoing to bring other lines up to the same standard. If it weren't for the unions, we'd already have driverless tube trains."

"If something happens to the train, or there is some kind of incident that means the train is stuck away from a station, and passengers are in danger, what happens?"

Right now, if there's a problem, the trains have a driver, so they sort it out. If we got rid of drivers, we'd instead have station staff, and they would sort it out. If the trains needed to be moved and the automation couldn't handle it, they could be driven remotely.

There are several fully automated underground systems in other countries, it's not an impossible task.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 4 weeks ago

Cumbria

"we are indeed very lucky as a country to have unions

The Central, Circle, District, Hammersmith and City, Jubilee, Metropolitan, Northern, and Victoria lines are already automated. Work is ongoing to bring other lines up to the same standard. If it weren't for the unions, we'd already have driverless tube trains.

If something happens to the train, or there is some kind of incident that means the train is stuck away from a station, and passengers are in danger, what happens?

Right now, if there's a problem, the trains have a driver, so they sort it out. If we got rid of drivers, we'd instead have station staff, and they would sort it out. If the trains needed to be moved and the automation couldn't handle it, they could be driven remotely.

There are several fully automated underground systems in other countries, it's not an impossible task."

So when something bad has happened and a train is stuck in a tunnel, station staff would have to leave the station and head off down the tunnels to help the passengers?

Who would look after the people in the stations?

By *atEvolutionCouple 4 weeks ago

If needed, remote operators chat over tannoy systems. If there is an emergency, the emergency services would attend. If a train stopped in a tunnel, a service crew would arrive. etc etc.

The Swiss have recently been testing full driverless overland trains and one of the biggest problems/tests was what happens if one breaks down in the Gotthard Tunnel which is 15 kilometres long.

Gilfach

"Boris Johnson promised in 2012 as part of his London Mayoral campaign that all London Underground trains would be driverless by 2022.

"The Central, Circle, District, Hammersmith and City, Jubilee, Metropolitan, Northern, and Victoria lines are already automated. Work is ongoing to bring other lines up to the same standard. If it weren't for the unions, we'd already have driverless tube trains."

"If something happens to the train, or there is some kind of incident that means the train is stuck away from a station, and passengers are in danger, what happens?"

"Right now, if there's a problem, the trains have a driver, so they sort it out. If we got rid of drivers, we'd instead have station staff, and they would sort it out. If the trains needed to be moved and the automation couldn't handle it, they could be driven remotely.

There are several fully automated underground systems in other countries, it's not an impossible task."

"So when something bad has happened and a train is stuck in a tunnel, station staff would have to leave the station and head off down the tunnels to help the passengers?

Who would look after the people in the stations?"

No one. Just like it is today.

The Outer Rim

i'm guessing that an automated train would've been great at administering CPR to the old fella who collapsed on the train as it pulled pontyclun two weeks ago. i'm sure it would've been a breeze for it to cordon off the carriage to give him some privacy while he was breathing his last. it would of course been able to give precise answers to control as to why the train had stopped blocking the line. it wouldn't have any problem running up to the pub at the top of the footpath to get the de-fib unit that's located there and then use it ina attempt to revive him. it would've easily rung the emergency services immediately and alerted them asking for assistance. it wouldn't have broken down in tears with various passengers comforting it when it was obvious the fella had slipped away on it's watch.

thank fuck we have drivers and guards on our trains ... they are heroic public servants and deserve far more respect and support and long may they continue to be part of the rail service.

Gilfach

"i'm guessing that an automated train would've been great at administering CPR to the old fella who collapsed on the train as it pulled pontyclun two weeks ago ..."

No one said that we need to get rid of station staff, or guards (or whatever they are called nowadays). It's just the driver that we don't need.

Did the driver actually leave the safety of his cabin to help the old fella, or was it the 'train captain' that did all the work?

So. You are saying that all rail staff have CPR training? Wow. That is straight out of Disney's Imagineering Factory !!!!

I would bet less than 2 in ten have First aid training, much less CPR !!!!

The Outer Rim

"So. You are saying that all rail staff have CPR training? Wow."

erm nope ... you just made that up for some reason.

"i'm guessing that an automated train would've been great at administering CPR to the old fella who collapsed on the train as it pulled pontyclun two weeks ago. i'm sure it would've been a breeze for it to cordon off the carriage to give him some privacy while he was breathing his last.

thank fuck we have drivers and guards on our trains ... they are heroic public servants and deserve far more respect and support and long may they continue to be part of the rail service."

That is your inference ^^^^^ That if there had of beeen then . . .

The Outer Rim

"That is your inference ^^^^^ That if there had of beeen then . . . "

nope .... grammatically incorrect ... an inference belongs to the reader

you need to study the dictionary further

"That is your inference ^^^^^ That if there had of beeen then . . .

"

Oh Duh! Drawn as a conclusion from your written statement !!! Use your grammatical corrections in the right manner to illustrate your point better.

The Outer Rim

Oh Duh! Drawn as a conclusion from your written statement !!! Use your grammatical corrections in the right manner to illustrate your point better.

"

nice try love

[Removed by poster at 22/08/24 18:35:40]

nice try love "

Oh, Dear.

Third Grade Grammar 101:

i'm guessing that an automated train would've been great at administering CPR to the old fella who collapsed on the train as it pulled pontyclun two weeks ago. i'm sure it would've been a breeze for it to cordon off the carriage to give him some privacy while he was breathing his last.

- The paragraph uses sarcasm to criticize the idea of automated trains by highlighting their limitations in handling emergencies that require human compassion and intervention. The author suggests that while automation may be efficient, it cannot replace the human touch needed in critical situations, such as administering CPR or providing privacy to a dying person. The underlying inference is that some aspects of human care and empathy cannot be replicated by machines, especially in life-and-death scenarios.

The paragraph has a few issues:

Grammar and Punctuation:

"i'm" should be capitalized as "I'm."

"pontyclun" should be capitalized as "Pontyclun."

There is a missing preposition before "Pontyclun." It should be "pulled into Pontyclun."

Clarity and Precision:

The sarcasm might not be immediately clear to all readers, so it could benefit from additional context or rephrasing to ensure the intended tone is understood.

Sentence Structure:

The second sentence could be rephrased for smoother flow. For example, "I'm sure it would've easily cordoned off the carriage to give him some privacy while he breathed his last."

Here's a revised version:

"I'm guessing that an automated train would've been great at administering CPR to the old fella who collapsed on the train as it pulled into Pontyclun two weeks ago. I'm sure it would've easily cordoned off the carriage to give him some privacy during his final moments."

The sentence "nope .... grammatically incorrect ... an inference belongs to the reader" has a few issues:

Inappropriate Tone:

The word "nope" is informal and may come across as dismissive. A more appropriate word could be "No" or "Incorrect."

Ellipses Overuse:

The use of multiple ellipses ("....") is unnecessary and can make the sentence seem fragmented. One or two dots would suffice, or you could replace them with commas or a period.

Incomplete Sentence:

The phrase "an inference belongs to the reader" is incomplete and lacks a subject or clear explanation. It would be clearer to say, "An inference is something the reader makes or draws."

Clarity and Conciseness:

The sentence could be clearer and more direct. It might be better to say, "No, that's grammatically incorrect. An inference is made by the reader."

Here’s a revised version:

"No, that’s grammatically incorrect. An inference is made by the reader."

In all cases, proper use of capitalisation is missing.

Third Grade Stuff.

By *arry and MegsCouple 4 weeks ago

Ipswich

nice try love

Oh, Dear.

Third Grade Grammar 101:

i'm guessing that an automated train would've been great at administering CPR to the old fella who collapsed on the train as it pulled pontyclun two weeks ago. i'm sure it would've been a breeze for it to cordon off the carriage to give him some privacy while he was breathing his last.

- The paragraph uses sarcasm to criticize the idea of automated trains by highlighting their limitations in handling emergencies that require human compassion and intervention. The author suggests that while automation may be efficient, it cannot replace the human touch needed in critical situations, such as administering CPR or providing privacy to a dying person. The underlying inference is that some aspects of human care and empathy cannot be replicated by machines, especially in life-and-death scenarios.

The paragraph has a few issues:

Grammar and Punctuation:

"i'm" should be capitalized as "I'm."

"pontyclun" should be capitalized as "Pontyclun."

There is a missing preposition before "Pontyclun." It should be "pulled into Pontyclun."

Clarity and Precision:

The sarcasm might not be immediately clear to all readers, so it could benefit from additional context or rephrasing to ensure the intended tone is understood.

Sentence Structure:

The second sentence could be rephrased for smoother flow. For example, "I'm sure it would've easily cordoned off the carriage to give him some privacy while he breathed his last."

Here's a revised version:

"I'm guessing that an automated train would've been great at administering CPR to the old fella who collapsed on the train as it pulled into Pontyclun two weeks ago. I'm sure it would've easily cordoned off the carriage to give him some privacy during his final moments."

The sentence "nope .... grammatically incorrect ... an inference belongs to the reader" has a few issues:

Inappropriate Tone:

The word "nope" is informal and may come across as dismissive. A more appropriate word could be "No" or "Incorrect."

Ellipses Overuse:

The use of multiple ellipses ("....") is unnecessary and can make the sentence seem fragmented. One or two dots would suffice, or you could replace them with commas or a period.

Incomplete Sentence:

The phrase "an inference belongs to the reader" is incomplete and lacks a subject or clear explanation. It would be clearer to say, "An inference is something the reader makes or draws."

Clarity and Conciseness:

The sentence could be clearer and more direct. It might be better to say, "No, that's grammatically incorrect. An inference is made by the reader."

Here’s a revised version:

"No, that’s grammatically incorrect. An inference is made by the reader."

In all cases, proper use of capitalisation is missing.

Third Grade Stuff. "

"So. Classroom Sstyle:"

Oh dear

By *roadShoulderz OP   Man 4 weeks ago

Aberdeen

"

These systems were designed to be driverless. Yes it's not impossible to make London's Underground truly driverless but some of the network dates back to the 1860s. As posted earlier the vast sums needed would not represent value of money which could be used to increase capacity and improve the customer experience.

» Add a new message to this topic