FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > MP's with criminal records

MP's with criminal records

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aGaGagging for it OP   Couple 5 weeks ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

Was interested to see that having a criminal record does not exclude you from being an MP.

Under the Representation of the People Act 1981, you are disqualified from becoming a member of the House of Commons if you have been found guilty of an offence and sentenced to more than one year in prison, AND are currently detained as a result of that offence.

Once you are released from prison, you are not prevented from standing for election as an MP.

Technically, you are also able to stand for election while you are in prison, so long as the sentence is one year or less.

I can only find data for 2012, but then it was found that 43% of all serving MP's had a criminal record and it turns out that there are more restrictions to becoming a Local Councillor than an MP, as if you have been sentenced to prison for three months or more (including suspended sentences) during the five years before election day, you cannot be a Local Councillor.

Is this an indication of how fucked up our political system is? Is this true democracy in action? Is it an opportunity to keep criminals occupied? Have decency and moral standards become irrelevant in the UK? Should people with criminal records be the law makers? Is it right that a carer on minimum wage has to pass an enhanced DBS check, but MP's dont?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *exy_HornyCouple 5 weeks ago

Leigh

The only requirement for becoming an MP is to be a self serving, lying, disingenuous tosser.

If you have no life experience, and have worked as a parliamentary researcher or for a trade union it seems to also be an advantage.

By *onica-mayhemWoman 5 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

Bobby Sands was elected to the Westminster seat of fermanagh and south tyrone whilst in prison serving 14 years.

By *otMe66Man 5 weeks ago

Terra Firma

MP is a representative of the society you live in, some people excel after adversity and I would expect rightly or wrongly, that a person who found themselves on the wrong side of the law and has ambitions to be a MP, is doing so because they have a sense of duty and feel they can make a difference from their life experiences.

By *icecouple561Couple 5 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

What jobs should people who have criminal records be able to do?

By *wosmilersCouple 5 weeks ago

Heathrowish

[Removed by poster at 13/08/24 07:39:17]

Heathrowish

43% ??

All indictable offences or does that include things like driving offences?

By *atEvolutionCouple 5 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

1 in 3 Males have a criminal record. We really need to be spending more time asking why.

By *onica-mayhemWoman 5 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

"1 in 3 Males have a criminal record. We really need to be spending more time asking why."

Speeding tickets, fly tipping, graffiti, shoplifting, fare dodging, being intoxicated misgendering someone and the worst offence of all...writing hurty (and usually fact based) words on the Internet! With labour's new powers don't be surprised to see the stats go up and up

[Removed by poster at 13/08/24 10:10:17]

"1 in 3 Males have a criminal record. We really need to be spending more time asking why.

Speeding tickets, fly tipping, graffiti, shoplifting, fare dodging, being intoxicated misgendering someone and the worst offence of all...writing hurty (and usually fact based) words on the Internet! With labour's new powers don't be surprised to see the stats go up and up"

Don't do any of those things - don't get a criminal record. Simple.

By *icecouple561Couple 5 weeks ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"1 in 3 Males have a criminal record. We really need to be spending more time asking why.

Speeding tickets, fly tipping, graffiti, shoplifting, fare dodging, being intoxicated misgendering someone and the worst offence of all...writing hurty (and usually fact based) words on the Internet! With labour's new powers don't be surprised to see the stats go up and up"

What new powers have Labour got?

By *irldnCouple 5 weeks ago

Brighton

Speeding tickets are not a criminal offence unless they are connected to dangerous driving and truly excessive speed.

[Removed by poster at 13/08/24 11:42:44]

Speeding tickets, fly tipping, graffiti, shoplifting, fare dodging, being intoxicated misgendering someone and the worst offence of all...writing hurty (and usually fact based) words on the Internet! With labour's new powers don't be surprised to see the stats go up and up

Speeding tickets are not a criminal offence unless they are connected to dangerous driving and truly excessive speed."

And injury and death then they 'are' a criminal offence.

By *coptoCouple 5 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"The only requirement for becoming an MP is to be a self serving, lying, disingenuous tosser"

Sorry, the ONLY requirement is to be voted for by a majority. Any "self serving, lying, disingenuous tossers" in Parliament have been put there by the people.

We've got what we deserve...

By *ophieslutTV/TS 5 weeks ago

Central

Plus they investigate their own wrongdoings, with a lot of suspected sexual intimidation etc, amongst the last lot. Much of the investigation went on for months

Brighton

Speeding tickets are not a criminal offence unless they are connected to dangerous driving and truly excessive speed.

And injury and death then they 'are' a criminal offence. "

Yep

Leigh

""The only requirement for becoming an MP is to be a self serving, lying, disingenuous tosser"

Sorry, the ONLY requirement is to be voted for by a majority. Any "self serving, lying, disingenuous tossers" in Parliament have been put there by the people.

We've got what we deserve..."

However there isn't an option for "None of the above". That's what I would have used if it was available.

By *immyinreadingMan 5 weeks ago

henley on thames

"Bobby Sands was elected to the Westminster seat of fermanagh and south tyrone whilst in prison serving 14 years."

… hence the 1981 act!

Brighton

""The only requirement for becoming an MP is to be a self serving, lying, disingenuous tosser"

However there isn't an option for "None of the above". That's what I would have used if it was available."

You do know you can “spoil your ballot paper” and cross all candidates out and write that don’t you?

Leigh

However there isn't an option for "None of the above". That's what I would have used if it was available.

You do know you can “spoil your ballot paper” and cross all candidates out and write that don’t you? "

Yes, but that doesn't do any good. If "none of the above" was an option, and won, then none of the candidates would be elected.

Spoil the paper and your vote just doesn't count and someone will be elected.

Yea. I particularly love the useless-to-nobody 'spoil the paper' routine.

What do people think happens? That all the politicians stack them onto a desk and stand around gibbering about all the votes that they shoulda'-woulda'-coulda' had?

They don't care - sociologists and political pundits might care, politicians will just use it a political metric to try and argue some unprovable political point.

By (user no longer on site) 5 weeks ago

Going to prison isn't necessarily a real indicator of a person's character. To be fair you can tell more from them by how they speak and the way they conduct themselves.

Nelson Mandela was sent to prison under British rule. Some of the poor post masters caught up in the Horizon scandal were put in prison too.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 5 weeks ago

Gilfach

"1 in 3 Males have a criminal record. We really need to be spending more time asking why."

I find that figure hard to believe. Can you give me a source for it?

I find that figure hard to believe. Can you give me a source for it?"

Not sure that I can link the website, but do type

'how many people in the uk have a criminal record'

into google and look at UCAS.

By (user no longer on site) 5 weeks ago

into google and look at UCAS."

1 in 3 people applying through UCAS to study somewhere might have a criminal record, but everywhere else says about 12 million folk in the UK do.

Brighton

"Yea. I particularly love the useless-to-nobody 'spoil the paper' routine.

What do people think happens? That all the politicians stack them onto a desk and stand around gibbering about all the votes that they shoulda'-woulda'-coulda' had?

They don't care - sociologists and political pundits might care, politicians will just use it a political metric to try and argue some unprovable political point.

"

But until “none of the above” is an option (and I doubt it ever will be) then what option is there for someone as per the poster above?

[Removed by poster at 13/08/24 17:01:54]

1 in 3 people applying through UCAS to study somewhere might have a criminal record, but everywhere else says about 12 million folk in the UK do."

Nothing to do with UCAS. That was just them repeating the facts . . .

***Data from the Ministry of Justice shows that 27% of working-age adults have a criminal conviction. This increases to 33% when just looking at men. However, a 2016 survey, commissioned by the Department of Work and Pensions, found that 50% of employers wouldn't consider employing someone with a criminal conviction.***

Many others list it as 33%, so 33 as a fraction 100% is . . ?

But until “none of the above” is an option (and I doubt it ever will be) then what option is there for someone as per the poster above?"

None.

Brighton

But until “none of the above” is an option (and I doubt it ever will be) then what option is there for someone as per the poster above?

None."

Precisely so they either do not bother voting or write “none of the above” on their voting slip. I made no comment on how effective that is

None.

Precisely so they either do not bother voting or write “none of the above” on their voting slip. I made no comment on how effective that is "

Thanks for the update . . . but . . .

By *eroy1000Man 5 weeks ago

milton keynes

1 in 3 people applying through UCAS to study somewhere might have a criminal record, but everywhere else says about 12 million folk in the UK do.

***Data from the Ministry of Justice shows that 27% of working-age adults have a criminal conviction. This increases to 33% when just looking at men. However, a 2016 survey, commissioned by the Department of Work and Pensions, found that 50% of employers wouldn't consider employing someone with a criminal conviction.***

"

Scary figures for sure. Thinking of the employees not considering hiring people with a record, unless the applicants actually tell them, how do they know. I know certain jobs require full disclosure which is understandable. However, I do know two people that have a record (nothing to serious) and they have told me in the past that after a certain time frame, they do not have to declare it to a potential employer unless it was one of those specific jobs. Seems these employers are likely hiring people with records without knowing, given the high percentage

[Removed by poster at 13/08/24 18:06:18]

Scary figures for sure. Thinking of the employees not considering hiring people with a record, unless the applicants actually tell them, how do they know. I know certain jobs require full disclosure which is understandable. However, I do know two people that have a record (nothing to serious) and they have told me in the past that after a certain time frame, they do not have to declare it to a potential employer unless it was one of those specific jobs. Seems these employers are likely hiring people with records without knowing, given the high percentage"

Employers can make a DBS check. It's quite common now that employers do. In fact it's mandatory is many public/private employments.

milton keynes

Scary figures for sure. Thinking of the employees not considering hiring people with a record, unless the applicants actually tell them, how do they know. I know certain jobs require full disclosure which is understandable. However, I do know two people that have a record (nothing to serious) and they have told me in the past that after a certain time frame, they do not have to declare it to a potential employer unless it was one of those specific jobs. Seems these employers are likely hiring people with records without knowing, given the high percentage

Employers can make a DBS check. It's quite common now that employers do. In fact it's mandatory is many public/private employments."

I was aware of certain roles requiring full checks but not that it has become standard practice. Neither of the people I know declare anything on application forms as a certain time has lapsed and never had a problem. It's only things like warehouse work and assembly work so maybe that's why.

Employers can make a DBS check. It's quite common now that employers do. In fact it's mandatory is many public/private employments.

I was aware of certain roles requiring full checks but not that it has become standard practice. Neither of the people I know declare anything on application forms as a certain time has lapsed and never had a problem. It's only things like warehouse work and assembly work so maybe that's why."

Any employer can ask that a Basic DBS check is made during a recruitment process. Permission needs to be given by the prospective employee. If the prospective employee refuses to accept, it's unlikely that the employer would proceed with their application.

There are differing levels of DBS that will require an employer to accord themselves to for the role advertised.

milton keynes

I was aware of certain roles requiring full checks but not that it has become standard practice. Neither of the people I know declare anything on application forms as a certain time has lapsed and never had a problem. It's only things like warehouse work and assembly work so maybe that's why.

Any employer can ask that a Basic DBS check is made during a recruitment process. Permission needs to be given by the prospective employee. If the prospective employee refuses to accept, it's unlikely that the employer would proceed with their application.

There are differing levels of DBS that will require an employer to accord themselves to for the role advertised. "

Yes that makes sense if they ask to do this check and the applicant refuses. The two I know say they only fill out standard forms and the bit that asks about records they leave blank. Apparently this is legal or acceptable to do so. If they were ever faced with the situation you describe then it would be a non starter for sure but doesn't seem common from what I hear but perhaps it's more common in different circles

Heathrowish

"Going to prison isn't necessarily a real indicator of a person's character. To be fair you can tell more from them by how they speak and the way they conduct themselves.

Nelson Mandela was sent to prison under British rule. Some of the poor post masters caught up in the Horizon scandal were put in prison too."

Was he?

South Africa became a Republic in 1961, thus independent of the UK.

Nelson Mandela was arrested in 1962 and then imprisoned.

Or am I wrong?

I don't necessarily disagree with the point you are trying to make but please don't try to tell us what clearly is a rewrite of fact.

By *amish SMan 5 weeks ago

Eastleigh

Spoilt and unreadable papers are counted I do belive.

henley on thames

None.

Precisely so they either do not bother voting or write “none of the above” on their voting slip. I made no comment on how effective that is "

It’s a waste of a journey to the polling booth

henley on thames

"Spoilt and unreadable papers are counted I do belive. "

… another pointless exercise

henley on thames

Employers can make a DBS check. It's quite common now that employers do. In fact it's mandatory is many public/private employments."

Just to clarify … as far as I know, only individuals can request a DBS, not the employer.

That was certainly the case when I had to get DBS checks done on new employees, they had to request it, and would then forward us the cert.

henley on thames

I was aware of certain roles requiring full checks but not that it has become standard practice. Neither of the people I know declare anything on application forms as a certain time has lapsed and never had a problem. It's only things like warehouse work and assembly work so maybe that's why."

I have never had a job in this country where DBS was not required.

henley on thames

"

I am stunned at these figures. If that is an accurate figure across all adults, then I can’t imagine how bad the figures are in high-crime areas or populations.

milton keynes

I have never had a job in this country where DBS was not required. "

It's the opposite for me and those that I know. Mind you I'm just a humble warehouse and forklift person so maybe that is a factor

Just to clarify … as far as I know, only individuals can request a DBS, not the employer.

That was certainly the case when I had to get DBS checks done on new employees, they had to request it, and would then forward us the cert. "

******Employers can check the criminal record of someone applying for a role. This is known as getting a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

You can request a more detailed check for certain roles, for example in healthcare or childcare.

There are different rules for getting criminal record checks in Scotland and getting criminal record checks in Northern Ireland.

Types of check

You can request:

a basic check, which shows unspent convictions and conditional cautions

a standard check, which shows spent and unspent convictions and cautions

an enhanced check, which shows the same as a standard check plus any information held by local police that’s considered relevant to the role

an enhanced check with barred lists, which shows the same as an enhanced check plus whether the applicant is on the list of people barred from doing the role

If you carry out criminal records checks, you must have a policy on employing ex-offenders and show it to any applicant who asks for it.****

From .gov

'Check someone's criminal record as an employer'

By *ostindreamsMan 5 weeks ago

London

"

These are crazy numbers. I wonder what type of crimes they committed.

By *ravelmanxxxMan 5 weeks ago

Durham /Sunderland

"What jobs should people who have criminal records be able to do?"

Not MP, Police, Doctors, Lawyers, public officials. Just for starters.

» Add a new message to this topic