FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Riots in the UK

Riots in the UK

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *an DeLyon OP   Man 7 weeks ago

County Durham

Is this a genuine grievance or just mindless morons having fun by rioting...

Awful situation for the families of the murdered children and now this on top of it all..

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ostindreamsMan 7 weeks ago

London

Genuine grievances but wrong trigger and terrible methods. Protesting is good, rioting isn't.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 7 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"Genuine grievances but wrong trigger and terrible methods. Protesting is good, rioting isn't."

This..

As is the case with the ones that have gone before..

By *piritualBlackBWW1979Woman 7 weeks ago

Medway

"Is this a genuine grievance or just mindless morons having fun by rioting...

Awful situation for the families of the murdered children and now this on top of it all..

"

It's definitely an awful situation for the family of the victims.

I don't know if it's genuine. I believe people have the right to protest but what they seem to be protesting about is vile. They are dangerous too.

They should be referred to as such.

I think this country has been simmering for a long time and it's been waiting something to help it explode.

It's a very scary time.

By (user no longer on site) 7 weeks ago

I'm not sure if the grievances are genuine, however their feelings are real.

But it's all somewhat embarrassing that the sparking point has not yet been shown to be what they think it is (afaik no news on his religion, nor the fathers reason for coming to UK).

That some took knives to "protest" about a knife attack.

And that they attack those who were possibly saving lives the night before.

Out streets are less safe because of these "protests". There will be stuff that doesn't get justice because police have been aucked away from their day jobs. And quite frankly, is wanting damage and destruction when angry really a British value ? DV goes up when England lose because men are angry. Destroying neighbourhoods because you are angry is the same sport imo, albeit maybe not the same ballpark.

By *ovebjsMan 7 weeks ago

Bristol

"

I’m going with the mindless morons theory 👍

Nobosy need to have a few beers on a protest do they ?

By *astandFeistyCouple 7 weeks ago

Bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 03/08/24 14:30:31]

Bournemouth

Stand Up To Racism are out in Manchester today calling for the police to get off 'their' streets.

I'm not sure they really want that

By *illowendMan 7 weeks ago

Halesworth

Gen grievance !!

The rioters are thick as

Manipulated racist knuckle draggers

"Genuine grievances but wrong trigger and terrible methods. Protesting is good, rioting isn't."

"Stand Up To Racism are out in Manchester today calling for the police to get off 'their' streets.

I'm not sure they really want that "

link/suggest search?

Indy suggests they are saying this to Nazis.

Bournemouth

"Stand Up To Racism are out in Manchester today calling for the police to get off 'their' streets.

I'm not sure they really want that link/suggest search?

Indy suggests they are saying this to Nazis. "

Indy are fucking lying. Have you not learnt yet?

Video on twitter with clear sound.

Video on twitter with clear sound. "

that's why I asked!

Found one shirt clip so thank you.

Odd imo. Do we know why they were chanting it ?

By *idnight RamblerMan 7 weeks ago

Pershore

We see these Summer riots on a cycle of a decade or so. There's usually a trigger and then copycat riots across the country.

Bournemouth

Video on twitter with clear sound. that's why I asked!

Odd imo. Do we know why they were chanting it ?"

No idea but I did see one video where the police were trying to keep them on a route (I don't know if preplanned), it appears they don't want to and there's a ruckus. Possibly the catalyst.

Video on twitter with clear sound. that's why I asked!

Odd imo. Do we know why they were chanting it ?

No idea but I did see one video where the police were trying to keep them on a route (I don't know if preplanned), it appears they don't want to and there's a ruckus. Possibly the catalyst. "

two tier policing innit

Virtue signalling on both sides. Protesting after a knife attack by bringing knives into the town and destroying neighbourhoods. Give your head a wobble.

Protesting about people travelling miles to start problems by travelling miles to start problems. Give your head a wobble.

By *cLovin2Man 7 weeks ago

Reading

There seems to be a few people on here who think the "protesters" have a genuine grievance, if so what is it?

I'm genuinely curious.

"There seems to be a few people on here who think the "protesters" have a genuine grievance, if so what is it?

I'm genuinely curious."

I don't know, but I hope it's not involving serious damage against property or risk to public safety to influence the government and/or advance a political or ideological cause...

"There seems to be a few people on here who think the "protesters" have a genuine grievance, if so what is it?

I'm genuinely curious.I don't know, but I hope it's not involving serious damage against property or risk to public safety to influence the government* and/or advance a political or ideological cause...

"

* or intimidate sections of the public.

London

I'm genuinely curious."

Grievance is against immigration. They have voted for reducing it with successive governments promising to reduce it too. But it has only gone up in recent years with no signs of it reducing. It's a genuine grievance whether you like it or not.

But their methods are obviously wrong.

By *wisted999Man 7 weeks ago

North Bucks

Catholics and Protestants standing together in Belfast.

Never thought I would see that. I wonder what Kier will say to todays events.

I'm genuinely curious.

Grievance is against immigration. They have voted for reducing it with successive governments promising to reduce it too. But it has only gone up in recent years with no signs of it reducing. It's a genuine grievance whether you like it or not.

But their methods are obviously wrong. "

I get that's part of it.

You just look a bit daft when the trigger point is when the attacker was UK born and no indication why his dad came to the UK afaik.

And when looking for feistys vid on X, I found dissbaauing terrorist scum, off our streets.

Again, no indication of terrorist motives. And that's not part of the wider immigration issues. (As above, I think they may be getting close to falling under the terrosim act themselves !)

London

I'm genuinely curious.

But their methods are obviously wrong. I get that's part of it.

You just look a bit daft when the trigger point is when the attacker was UK born and no indication why his dad came to the UK afaik.

And when looking for feistys vid on X, I found dissbaauing terrorist scum, off our streets.

Again, no indication of terrorist motives. And that's not part of the wider immigration issues. (As above, I think they may be getting close to falling under the terrosim act themselves !) "

I mentioned that in my first reply to the thread. This was the wrong trigger.

Terrorism is part of wider immigration issues. But I don't believe the Southport stabbings were related to terrorism. Hence it's a wrong trigger again.

By *ikeSM23Man 7 weeks ago

Manchester

Regardless of your political views or which ideology you follow the widespread animation of disgruntled individuals today (a figure of speech) is being uniquely fuelled by an extremely dysfunctional and manipulative use of social media. Alarming posts are being shared (always without invitation) which are frequently skewed to support a snapshot point of view, are often without sufficient context and are frequently introduced/titled as a fait accompli…… Worse, contemporary society has become word and video blind to the behaviours of marketing and manipulation to the extent sense and rationality are instantly dismissed by the gullible as signs of weakness and outright opposition to their perspective.

Humanity, despite its warring and terror laden history has still not learned its lesson(s) and is seemingly happy to repeat its failures under some unfathomable belief that this time it will be different…..

By *oxychick35Couple 7 weeks ago

thornaby

"

it’s as genuin as the pro palistine marches and as many morons

By *erry bull1Man 7 weeks ago

doncaster

I believe that people are getting to end of the end their tether White prople are becoming a minority in their own country and yet the police seem to have a two tier policy

Manchester

"I believe that people are getting to end of the end their tether White prople are becoming a minority in their own country and yet the police seem to have a two tier policy "

Whilst some people may fall into your tether limit addage, fortunately the vast majority have not and are probably wondering how to resolve matters in a more balanced and less confrontational way

By *hocolate37Man 7 weeks ago

Heathrow

"I believe that people are getting to end of the end their tether White prople are becoming a minority in their own country and yet the police seem to have a two tier policy "

White people comprise around 85% of the population. Minority?

By *pank the MonkeyCouple 7 weeks ago

Down the Rabbit Hole and Round the Corner

This is absolute nonsense. I suggest you take a look at the last census results for the UK and i think you'll find that white European is the predominant ethnicity by quite a long way.

By *eddyandbratCouple 7 weeks ago

Swansea

Approximately 80% of the uk is white, in what way is that a minority, you either have no idea what that means, like to spread disinformation, or mean something else entirely.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 7 weeks ago

golden fields

it’s as genuin as the pro palistine marches and as many morons "

Are peaceful protests opposing the mass slaughter of innocent civilians comparable to violent racists smashing shit up?

By *ifty69Man 7 weeks ago

north tyneside

There's no justification for what they are doing, most are young yobs out with the family brain cell !!

golden fields

This is what happens when the media, government (previous), social media trolls like Tommy Robinson, Laurence Fox and countless others, pump out hate, division, and fear of immigrants for at least a decade.

I'm genuinely curious.

But their methods are obviously wrong. I get that's part of it.

Again, no indication of terrorist motives. And that's not part of the wider immigration issues. (As above, I think they may be getting close to falling under the terrosim act themselves !)

I mentioned that in my first reply to the thread. This was the wrong trigger.

Terrorism is part of wider immigration issues. But I don't believe the Southport stabbings were related to terrorism. Hence it's a wrong trigger again. "

wrong trigger. Wrong approach. And terrorism concerns is a tiny tiny part of the wider immigration issues and not just an immigration issue.

But my point was more the irony of being anti terrorism why being borderline terrorist...

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan 7 weeks ago

"I believe that people are getting to end of the end their tether White prople are becoming a minority in their own country and yet the police seem to have a two tier policy

Approximately 80% of the uk is white, in what way is that a minority, you either have no idea what that means, like to spread disinformation, or mean something else entirely. "

Maybe me means a minority in certain cities, it’s the police I’m more concerned about, They have to treat them all the same, Seen one video before a police officer asking a group on Men if they have any weapons leave them behind heavily handed one minute soft the next

By *oxychick35Couple 7 weeks ago

thornaby

"I believe that people are getting to end of the end their tether White prople are becoming a minority in their own country and yet the police seem to have a two tier policy

This is what happens when the media, government (previous), social media trolls like Tommy Robinson, Laurence Fox and countless others, pump out hate, division, and fear of immigrants for at least a decade. "

agree hate division and fear like starmer calling the ppl far right it truely is disgusting

By *melie LALWoman 7 weeks ago

Peterborough

Do your history, this country wasn't white to start with .

Do your history, this country wasn't white to start with ."

I don’t go along with the comments “becoming a minority in our country” but stop with this bollocks this country wasn’t white to start with 🙄

By *verageSausageMan 7 weeks ago

Flintshire

"

A friend suggested to me that this is a genuine grievance of a majority which is being taken advantage of by a minority who have little else better to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Roll on August 16.

p.s.

For reference, I have only ever been to 1 football match.

I went under duress.

And I went twice.

First time and last time.

I never understood football. 22 grown men arguing over 1 ball. Each of the 22 grown men begs to be given the ball, but as soon as they get the ball, they kick it away?

Why don't they just give all the 22 grown men 1 ball each to play with?

A friend suggested to me that this is a genuine grievance of a majority which is being taken advantage of by a minority who have little else better to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Roll on August 16.

p.s.

I went under duress.

And I went twice.

I never understood football. 22 grown men arguing over 1 ball. Each of the 22 grown men begs to be given the ball, but as soon as they get the ball, they kick it away?

Why don't they just give all the 22 grown men 1 ball each to play with?"

If that’s your view on football then maybe it’s better you stay away 😂

By *verageSausageMan 7 weeks ago

Flintshire

Roll on August 16.

p.s.

I went under duress.

And I went twice.

Why don't they just give all the 22 grown men 1 ball each to play with?

If that’s your view on football then maybe it’s better you stay away 😂"

It absolutely is and I absolutely can find better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than going to footy.

golden fields

This is what happens when the media, government (previous), social media trolls like Tommy Robinson, Laurence Fox and countless others, pump out hate, division, and fear of immigrants for at least a decade. agree hate division and fear like starmer calling the ppl far right it truely is disgusting "

How would you have preferred him to describe the very far over to the right racist rioters?

Roll on August 16.

p.s.

I went under duress.

And I went twice.

Why don't they just give all the 22 grown men 1 ball each to play with?"

most of the propa nawty boyz follow teams who start next week. 17th is for the prawn sandwich lot

But I'm sure they will suddenly start liking immigrants then. Provided they have the right shirt on.

Peterborough

Do your history, this country wasn't white to start with .

I don’t go along with the comments “becoming a minority in our country” but stop with this bollocks this country wasn’t white to start with 🙄"

Look up cheddar man.

Reading

I'm genuinely curious.

But their methods are obviously wrong. "

Is it?

We just had an election the parties talking about immigration were crushed by the labour party. So does that mean the protesters don't accept democracy?

Reading

Really?

UK is 83% white, hardly in danger of falling below 50%.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+percentage+of+the+uk+is+white+british&oq=what+proportion+of+the+uk+is+white+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCAgBEAAYFhgeMgoIABBFGBYYHhg5MggIARAAGBYYHjIICAIQABgWGB4yCAgDEAAYFhgeMggIBBAAGBYYHjIICAUQABgWGB4yCAgGEAAYFhgeMggIBxAAGBYYHjIICAgQABgWGB4yCAgJEAAYFhgeMggIChAAGBYYHjIICAsQABgWGB4yCAgMEAAYFhgeMggIDRAAGBYYHjIICA4QABgWGB7SAQkxNTI0OGowajeoAhSwAgE&client=ms-android-xiaomi-terr2-rso2&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 7 weeks ago

Cumbria

White people are a minority in the UK?

When did this happen?

Cumbria

This is what happens when the media, government (previous), social media trolls like Tommy Robinson, Laurence Fox and countless others, pump out hate, division, and fear of immigrants for at least a decade. agree hate division and fear like starmer calling the ppl far right it truely is disgusting "

Yes, we mustn’t upset the far right by calling them far right.

London

I'm genuinely curious.

Is it?

We just had an election the parties talking about immigration were crushed by the labour party. So does that mean the protesters don't accept democracy?"

Labour's manifesto on immigration:

https://labour.org.uk/updates/stories/labours-immigration-and-border-policy-stop-small-boats/

"Under the Tories, migration has hit record highs. Small boat crossings so far in 2024 are higher than ever recorded at this point in the year. Labour will act to bring down migration, strengthening wages and conditions for Britain’s workers, linking our skills plans for young people with the jobs our businesses need to fill, and implementing a practical plan to tackle the small boat chaos."

Also, elections are fought on multiple issues. A party winning doesn't mean the majority agree with all their policies. This is the yougov poll on immigration:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/do-brits-think-that-immigration-has-been-too-high-or-low-in-the-last-10-years

Now, will you accept that reducing immigration is a democratic choice or will you find reasons to why we should have open immigration in spite of it?

By *usybee73Man 7 weeks ago

in the sticks

What I find interesting is, none of the press AFAIK have interviewed any of the rioters? Or the ring leaders?

So everyone is just guessing on the reasons ...

By *egDaySkipperMan 7 weeks ago

Liverpool

"What I find interesting is, none of the press AFAIK have interviewed any of the rioters? Or the ring leaders?

So everyone is just guessing on the reasons ... "

There is no valid reason to justify their behaviour.

in Lancashire

White people comprise around 85% of the population. Minority?

"

The same poster said Southport was kicking off because of the number of Asians there..

Definitely never been there and going by this latest one is equally wrong..

Cumbria

The attempts by people on here to justify these riots is tragic.

I’ve more respect for the rioters as they are up front about their racism, they don’t try and hide behind semantics.

Reading

I'm genuinely curious.

Is it?

We just had an election the parties talking about immigration were crushed by the labour party. So does that mean the protesters don't accept democracy?

https://labour.org.uk/updates/stories/labours-immigration-and-border-policy-stop-small-boats/

"Under the Tories, migration has hit record highs. Small boat crossings so far in 2024 are higher than ever recorded at this point in the year. Labour will act to bring down migration, strengthening wages and conditions for Britain’s workers, linking our skills plans for young people with the jobs our businesses need to fill, and implementing a practical plan to tackle the small boat chaos."

Also, elections are fought on multiple issues. A party winning doesn't mean the majority agree with all their policies. This is the yougov poll on immigration:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/do-brits-think-that-immigration-has-been-too-high-or-low-in-the-last-10-years

Now, will you accept that reducing immigration is a democratic choice or will you find reasons to why we should have open immigration in spite of it?"

The "protesters" appear to be right wing, I doubt that they're the politically inclined to vote labour.

It's true elections are fought on multiple issues. However you have also made an assumption that the view's expressed by the protesters is the majority, the results of the election implies otherwise. That was my point.

in the sticks

"What I find interesting is, none of the press AFAIK have interviewed any of the rioters? Or the ring leaders?

There is no valid reason to justify their behaviour. "

How would you know? If the msm were any good they would of found out or asked the questions...

London

I'm genuinely curious.

Is it?

Now, will you accept that reducing immigration is a democratic choice or will you find reasons to why we should have open immigration in spite of it?

The "protesters" appear to be right wing, I doubt that they're the politically inclined to vote labour.

It's true elections are fought on multiple issues. However you have also made an assumption that the view's expressed by the protesters is the majority, the results of the election implies otherwise. That was my point."

I literally gave you two links to show that majority of the people want reduction in immigration. Labour's manifesto promises reduction in immigration. The Yougov poll shows that 66% or the people think immigration was too high. So I don't know why you think the election results prove otherwise.

By *eroy1000Man 7 weeks ago

milton keynes

So everyone is just guessing on the reasons ... "

The reasons could be many and varied. Some may be valid concerns and some just jumping on the bandwagon for any excuse to cause trouble and have a riot. Some may not ask for reasons as they may not want to discuss topics and give them air time. What ever the reasons or concerns, they should stick to peaceful protests and never resort to riots.

in Lancashire

How would you know? If the msm were any good they would of found out or asked the questions..."

He's right, there is no valid reason to justify their behaviour..

There's genuinely held grievances that affects anyone regardless of colour or culture who can't access affordable housing, who can't find an NHS dentist or get a doctors appointment etc..

And the mess that the last government made of the asylum system is shared across all strata of society, left, centre and right..

Theres been a problem with some white working class feeling disenfranchised and left behind by all governments of the last forty or so years and that no one is listening or they simply don't get it because they are not interested..

Such things are genuinely felt and easy to manipulate and blame on others by some seeking to divide further..

But the answer lies not in arson, thuggery, looting and attacking police because all that does is ensure the state is less likely to listen and nothing gets resolved..

So yes, there's no valid reason to justify their behaviour..

in the sticks

How would you know? If the msm were any good they would of found out or asked the questions...

There's genuinely held grievances that affects anyone regardless of colour or culture who can't access affordable housing, who can't find an NHS dentist or get a doctors appointment etc..

And the mess that the last government made of the asylum system is shared across all strata of society, left, centre and right..

Theres been a problem with some white working class feeling disenfranchised and left behind by all governments of the last forty or so years and that no one is listening or they simply don't get it because they are not interested..

Such things are genuinely felt and easy to manipulate and blame on others by some seeking to divide further..

But the answer lies not in arson, thuggery, looting and attacking police because all that does is ensure the state is less likely to listen and nothing gets resolved..

So yes, there's no valid reason to justify their behaviour.."

Thank you but I find it worrying why no one in the msm asks? Or investigate the reasons?

The more I get older, especially after covid.. MSN and politicians are more up each others arse then anything, this is how democracy fails and the public demand things.

By *ingleman2020Man 7 weeks ago

UK

I normally try not to converse in political discussions on a swingers site, normally it’s a recipe for disaster!

What happened in Southport was a massive tragedy and everything needs to be investigated in why that 17 year old committed such a heinous crime.

To be clear, originally the first riots were because of misinformation linking it to a Muslim kid and rioting in front of a mosque. Even if it was a Muslim, where’s peoples empathy, the people of Southport must be shocked, the families must be struggling and all we’ve got is predominantly men, hiding their faces causing trouble, plus not everyone irrespective of their religion are the same. It’s absolutely anal, and needs to be called out.

in Lancashire

Thank you but I find it worrying why no one in the msm asks? Or investigate the reasons?

The more I get older, especially after covid.. MSN and politicians are more up each others arse then anything, this is how democracy fails and the public demand things.

"

Who can the media speak to who represents them, a multi millionaire like garage who is as out of touch as the some of the politicians he now sits with..

Or a bloke with multiple criminal convictions who is going to be locked up again when he returns and has views which are reprehensible..

Maybe the guy who is so English till he dies that he demonstrated it by throwing flares on Winston Churchills statue..

in the sticks

Who can the media speak to who represents them, a multi millionaire like garage who is as out of touch as the some of the politicians he now sits with..

Or a bloke with multiple criminal convictions who is going to be locked up again when he returns and has views which are reprehensible..

Maybe the guy who is so English till he dies that he demonstrated it by throwing flares on Winston Churchills statue..

"

I hear you, and can throw other factors in the ring, talk to Asian people and there worried about immigration, ask them why and they will tell you a different story, about not taking off the state, working long hours in their own businesses etc making sure their children don't have to do that ... sound familiar?

Biggest white elephant is that no political party represents the working class

By *mateur100Man 7 weeks ago

nr faversham

I'm interested in the comments, bay assurances, from the home secretary that this involved will be punished. How exactly does she propose to do this? There are little or no prison places, granted due to the Tories, but I don't see any building of prisons or buyback of prisons plan anywhere and, let's be fair, they've have 14 years to prepare

golden fields

The racist Knuckle draggers were heavily outnumbered by normal people in my town.

Thankfully there wasn't too much trouble beyond a few skirmishes.

Wondering if this is the last of it, or if there will be more.

Peterborough

"I'm interested in the comments, bay assurances, from the home secretary that this involved will be punished. How exactly does she propose to do this? There are little or no prison places, granted due to the Tories, but I don't see any building of prisons or buyback of prisons plan anywhere and, let's be fair, they've have 14 years to prepare "

BS on your prepare statement.

Manchester

"

I hear you, and can throw other factors in the ring, talk to Asian people and there worried about immigration, ask them why and they will tell you a different story, about not taking off the state, working long hours in their own businesses etc making sure their children don't have to do that ... sound familiar?

Biggest white elephant is that no political party represents the working class "

Ok let’s deal with that elephant……. given this age of universal communication technology (and therefore access to educational media) who (or perhaps better, what) constitutes the working class? And while addressing the uk’s ‘class’ conundrum who/what defines the middle and upper classes? And, extending what has typically been uk centric societal conditioning are there other countries defined, and therefore behaving, similarly? Or, is an association with class conditioning just a lazy way of saying those with low wealth are just having a pop at those with wealth and therefore assumed to be more powerful than them, the norm, because history tells us that’s what happens every now and then?

in the sticks

"

Biggest white elephant is that no political party represents the working class

Ok let’s deal with that elephant……. given this age of universal communication technology (and therefore access to educational media) who (or perhaps better, what) constitutes the working class? And while addressing the uk’s ‘class’ conundrum who/what defines the middle and upper classes? And, extending what has typically been uk centric societal conditioning are there other countries defined, and therefore behaving, similarly? Or, is an association with class conditioning just a lazy way of saying those with low wealth are just having a pop at those with wealth and therefore assumed to be more powerful than them, the norm, because history tells us that’s what happens every now and then?"

In English?

By *ip2Man 7 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"It’s as genuin as the pro palistine marches"

Disagree. I went on the Palestine march in London that was on Armistice Day.

There were hundreds of signs saying "Peace on Peace Day" and "Ceasefire Now".

There were families with children in push-chairs.

I asked a woman, should Israelis have a place to live? "Of course", she replied.

I saw no trouble at all from Hyde Park to south of the river. The march didn't go to Westminster.

One of the leaflets I was given had what could have been called anti-Semitic imagery. It condemned Bush, Blair and Netanyahu as war criminals.

After the march I went to Westminster where there were a few hooligans with beer cans at the corner of Parliament Square surrounded by police.

By *unnerbenMan 6 weeks ago

Dublin / Cork

Peaceful protest is genuine and people are entitled to that . However what’s happening is hijacking of protests to just riot and commit crimes . Innocent peoples property being smashed . Same thing happened in Dublin 3 weeks ago . Caused my misinformation , online keyboard warriors stirring up hatred and fear and poorly educated people getting sucked in and believing everything that’s being fed to them .

By *portyGuyMan 6 weeks ago

Burbage

The way the whole thing is being policed it's awful it's two tier.

By *ung nine inchMan 6 weeks ago

Sheffield

Not fair on the police

By *sian_stallion1984Man 6 weeks ago

Bradford

Exactly

By *ty31Man 6 weeks ago

NW London

I think there's a lot of people with concerns (immigration, cost of living, Islamic extremism etc) who feel ignored or "boyed off" by the government/politicians.

Where they feel ignored by the system they latch onto whoever seems to be listening to them and offering action.

It's the same mechanism that lead to Trump becoming president of USA over (in Obama's words) "the most qualified person ever for the job"

Sadly what we've seen from the riots is the speed Fake News spreads and the speed at which a monkey see monkey do mentality spreads amongst a bunch of idiots.

By *idnight RamblerMan 6 weeks ago

Pershore

"I think there's a lot of people with concerns (immigration, cost of living, Islamic extremism etc) who feel ignored or "boyed off" by the government/politicians.

Where they feel ignored by the system they latch onto whoever seems to be listening to them and offering action.

It's the same mechanism that lead to Trump becoming president of USA over (in Obama's words) "the most qualified person ever for the job"

Sadly what we've seen from the riots is the speed Fake News spreads and the speed at which a monkey see monkey do mentality spreads amongst a bunch of idiots.

"

I agree. The situation is portrayed by media and politicians as 'Far Right Thugs on Rampage'. I guess it suits them to see it that way, but ironically it also defines the problem too. We've had decades of public disaffection with immigration, something that was a factor in Brexit and the rise of Reform. Yet nothing is done. If anything it's getting worse. What's the point of living in a democracy if large swathes of the population are ignored? You might as well take to the streets right?

By *eard and TattsCouple 6 weeks ago

Cwmbran

"it's in your nature to destroy yourselves"

- T-800

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 6 weeks ago

in Lancashire

Biggest white elephant is that no political party represents the working class "

Yes, I said above it's not only white people who have genuine grievances and concerns about such things..

By *loscouplegl3Couple 6 weeks ago

Gloucester

The UK is 75% white (2021 census).

Don’t listening to the Embarrassing Dickheads League.

By *ools and the brainCouple 6 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Gosh so much to say so many points.

The way the rioters are carrying on it's like we are the only country in the world that is taking in immigrants Turkey has taken in something like 3 million!

The rioters are organised by people who looking for an excuse to fight and cause trouble, this has been rapidly growing since the start of the pandemic with anti establishment movement getting involved in everything where possible, you only need to read the many many post's on this very site the shit stirring has been going on and the hard of thinking fall for all of it.

Year's of austerity and the previous government cuts removing the visible police presence on the streets, the errosion of decency and respect for the law and the lack of consequences for antisocial behaviour, this includes small stuff like people smoking we ed in the streets with no fear of the police.

It's been gradually eroding for years and we have reached a tipping point.

Overcrowded prison's, overcrowded housing, schools have lost control and the loss of social responsibility.

A government more interested in bickering with each other and lining their own pockets and wasting billions on unwanted projects, failing public services,rich exploiting the situation and doing everything to keep "us" normal people subjugated, knife crime and violent behaviour is out of control.

Claim's this country has freedom of speech yet you say a single word related to anything Trans that doesn't fit in with the "agenda" your in for the full wrath of the Karen's to make your life hell via social media,

I could go on and on

Ultimately what's happening is the "rioters" are hitting a soft target the immigration issue with bandwagon jumpers joining in.

However whilst this is at the extreme end of things many people are fed up with things the way they are fed up with the way this country has been run into the ground and the soft approach to criminal acts I believe we are going to see more and more people getting involved one way or another be it for or against the current wave of " protests "

I don't think we are too far away from seeing the army on the streets.

If this was a South American country I'd expect to see guerillas fighting against the army.

The single biggest driving force and I personally believe the cause of of most of this crap is the disease and infestation that is social media ( yes I understand the irony of what I'm saying whilst typing it on a platform)

But the ability to spread misinformation, hatred and lies has reached far wider than any pandemic ever could.

Time for all social media platforms, chatrooms, messenger services to be held accountable for the stuff they allow to be distributed.

In my humble opinion

By *astandFeistyCouple 6 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Don’t listening to the Embarrassing Dickheads League."

In Luton, Leicester, Birmingham & Slough whites account for less than 50% of those populations.

It really is no good just throwing out figures to dismiss others feelings when the figures of those towns would have told a different story years ago.

Gloucester

In Luton, Leicester, Birmingham & Slough whites account for less than 50% of those populations.

It really is no good just throwing out figures to dismiss others feelings when the figures of those towns would have told a different story years ago. "

Well that’s not true for Birmingham (58%), but either way, at least with large immigrant communities in those places, there shouldn’t be much room for the EDL sickos

Bournemouth

It really is no good just throwing out figures to dismiss others feelings when the figures of those towns would have told a different story years ago.

Well that’s not true for Birmingham (58%), but either way, at least with large immigrant communities in those places, there shouldn’t be much room for the EDL sickos "

There are 42.9% white in Birmingham according to Census 2021, a data set you seem happy with.

"But either way, at least with large immigrant communities", is exactly what is driving these people.

Gloucester

Well that’s not true for Birmingham (58%), but either way, at least with large immigrant communities in those places, there shouldn’t be much room for the EDL sickos

There are 42.9% white in Birmingham according to Census 2021, a data set you seem happy with.

"But either way, at least with large immigrant communities", is exactly what is driving these people."

2021 census shows 58%. I am literally looking at it right now. There have always been out of touch regressives who stamp their feet and cry about the latest wave of immigrants.

And they’re always proved wrong. In the 90s it was Eastern Europeans, 60s was West Indians, 20s it was Italians, Victorian era it was Irish, Georgian times it was Hugonauts. And by the follow generations those all have steady, peaceful, contributing communities that are just all part of the norm. Today it’s Muslim that are the ‘boogy man’. I wonder which poor does it will be in another 20 years.

By *otMe66Man 6 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"But either way, at least with large immigrant communities", is exactly what is driving these people.

2021 census shows 58%. I am literally looking at it right now. There have always been out of touch regressives who stamp their feet and cry about the latest wave of immigrants.

And they’re always proved wrong. In the 90s it was Eastern Europeans, 60s was West Indians, 20s it was Italians, Victorian era it was Irish, Georgian times it was Hugonauts. And by the follow generations those all have steady, peaceful, contributing communities that are just all part of the norm. Today it’s Muslim that are the ‘boogy man’. I wonder which poor does it will be in another 20 years."

Ignoring the issues that are quite obviously stirring up anger, is being part of the problem.

This is why we have riots, people sweeping the issue under the carpet either through a lack of understanding or because it doesn’t concern them directly.

I’m not saying rioting is a legitimate thing to do and I don’t support it, I’m saying people’s grievances need to be heard.

Pershore

And they’re always proved wrong. In the 90s it was Eastern Europeans, 60s was West Indians, 20s it was Italians, Victorian era it was Irish, Georgian times it was Hugonauts. And by the follow generations those all have steady, peaceful, contributing communities that are just all part of the norm. Today it’s Muslim that are the ‘boogy man’. I wonder which poor does it will be in another 20 years."

Maybe so, but if a significant proportion of the existing population are opposed to high levels of immigration, all the rationalisation is irrelevant. That's democracy right? If you don't listen to the people, you might get, erm...public disorder!!

Bournemouth

You may want to look again. 58% is the 2011 figureb

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 6 weeks ago

golden fields

The absolute state of this country at the moment.

Peaceful climate protesters: certain people, 'lock them up for nearly as long as you get for SA', 'their cause is nonsense, climate science probably isn't real anyway'.

Violent racists smash up cities across the UK: the same certain people 'well, they have legitimate concerns'.

Bournemouth

"The absolute state of this country at the moment.

Peaceful climate protesters: certain people, 'lock them up for nearly as long as you get for SA', 'their cause is nonsense, climate science probably isn't real anyway'.

Violent racists smash up cities across the UK: the same certain people 'well, they have legitimate concerns'.

"

Quite a lot of misinformation there.

I won't bother picking it apart though as you won't respond anyway

By (user no longer on site) 6 weeks ago

What did these protestor expect to happen fats after the GE? Even reform had a 100 day window.

By *ingleman2020Man 6 weeks ago

UK

I do worry the direction of travel the UK is going. Irrespective of peoples views on immigration, this is by no means to tackle the issue. There still remains a lot of myths on immigration, the whole adage that immigrants are taking my job, i have friends that are farmers and with Brexit are currently struggling because British people don’t want to do low paid jobs as it is “beneath them”. Something tells me the people using violence as a first means to protest aren’t the sharpest tools in the box….

Whilst I agree that people are concerned about immigration across the political spectrum, the current riots are predominantly being done by the far right, EDL, Islamophobic, neo nazis. These same groups don’t really care about immigration if it’s from somewhere in Europe and not Africa or Asia.

If people think immigration is reducing the cultural feeling of the area, well the smoking ban had a bigger impact on closing pubs than immigration did!

I beg the question if immigration would be zero would living conditions in the UK be better.. I highly doubt it. Over 80 percent of England and wales is white, which would suggest 20 percent isn’t and yes there are places with higher concentration of non-white populations, but that’s not going to change… even if zero? In the UK places are mixed, some places have “gentrified” some haven’t, some have expanded some have remained as per the 60s.

I’m yet to see a great articulation from the rioters… and nothing justifies violence.

By *hrill CollinsMan 6 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

even if 'genuine grievances' did exist, the fact is that violent far right extremists are stamping their feet because they were told to 'fuck off some where else such as belarus with thier fascist shit' by the biggest majority of the population in history. democracy spoke and they're spitting their dummy out violently, chasing families enjoying a day out with their children down liverpool waterfront, hospitalising women with fireworks, setting fire to pensioners homes etc etc. when this scum has been rounded up and justice has been dealt to them the majority of us can get back to normal and get on with the business of making money and rebuilding the mess of the last 14 years because of the far right hijacking of the previous government. these people and their enablers are utter dross.

couple, us we him her.

It really is no good just throwing out figures to dismiss others feelings when the figures of those towns would have told a different story years ago. "

The Ares you have chosen as an example have had a very high non white population for decades,I don't see how it has a bearing on the current situation, in particular Slough and Birmingham.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan 6 weeks ago

A shit storm is coming when the football season kicks off, a small selection of football fans will kick off at every game joined by the pissed up pub fans that say they’re fans but only go along for fighting, Riot police won’t discriminate normal fans from thugs

Bournemouth

The Ares you have chosen as an example have had a very high non white population for decades,I don't see how it has a bearing on the current situation, in particular Slough and Birmingham."

They have had high populations of non whites, not majorities. However, they've now become majority, and other places are heading that way.

By not accepting this and using 'the majority of the UK is white' shuts down any concerns without actually understanding them.

You may not want to believe it has a bearing but it does.

Bournemouth

The Ares you have chosen as an example have had a very high non white population for decades,I don't see how it has a bearing on the current situation, in particular Slough and Birmingham.

They have had high populations of non whites, not majorities. However, they've now become majority, and other places are heading that way.

By not accepting this and using 'the majority of the UK is white' shuts down any concerns without actually understanding them.

You may not want to believe it has a bearing but it does. "

Just to add to this...

London and Manchester are now also cities where 'White British' fall below 50%.

That's the 3 largest cities in the country. The Govt needs to stop ignoring whilst inflaming tensions with stupid fucking things like 'we will protect Muslims'.

in Lancashire

And they’re always proved wrong. In the 90s it was Eastern Europeans, 60s was West Indians, 20s it was Italians, Victorian era it was Irish, Georgian times it was Hugonauts. And by the follow generations those all have steady, peaceful, contributing communities that are just all part of the norm. Today it’s Muslim that are the ‘boogy man’. I wonder which poor does it will be in another 20 years.

Ignoring the issues that are quite obviously stirring up anger, is being part of the problem.

This is why we have riots, people sweeping the issue under the carpet either through a lack of understanding or because it doesn’t concern them directly.

I’m not saying rioting is a legitimate thing to do and I don’t support it, I’m saying people’s grievances need to be heard. "

But the way to get those grievances heard, some of which are across all communities is not to smash the place up and attack the police..

You can't as a parent have a conversation with a screaming child having a complete melt down..

Only when calmness prevails can dialogue start..

And if all there is from any group within society doing what is going on now the only thing that will his that the system will rightly come down hard..

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 6 weeks ago

Border of London

"The Govt needs to stop ignoring whilst inflaming tensions with stupid fucking things like 'we will protect Muslims'."

Where threats exist, shouldn't the government be making a strong statement about protecting Muslims?

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 6 weeks ago

Cumbria

Why are people bothered about being in the minority?

Are minorities treated badly in this country?

Bournemouth

"The Govt needs to stop ignoring whilst inflaming tensions with stupid fucking things like 'we will protect Muslims'.

Where threats exist, shouldn't the government be making a strong statement about protecting Muslims?"

How about where threats exist, the Govt should be making statements about protecting ALL.

There have been cries about 2 tier policing for a few years now and this further inflames it.

Then we see yesterday, police asking Muslims to put any weapons back in the mosque, letting them roam and no kettling, as opposed to others who are arrested for weapons and kettled.

If people want to bury their heads, I don't mind, but don't cry when it doesn't improve.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 6 weeks ago

Border of London

"The Govt needs to stop ignoring whilst inflaming tensions with stupid fucking things like 'we will protect Muslims'.

Where threats exist, shouldn't the government be making a strong statement about protecting Muslims?

How about where threats exist, the Govt should be making statements about protecting ALL.

There have been cries about 2 tier policing for a few years now and this further inflames it.

Then we see yesterday, police asking Muslims to put any weapons back in the mosque, letting them roam and no kettling, as opposed to others who are arrested for weapons and kettled.

If people want to bury their heads, I don't mind, but don't cry when it doesn't improve. "

You might be right, but isn't that a separate issue? Surely where a specific community feels targeted or threatened, it makes sense for the government to make a strong statement about protecting that community. Statements about "protecting all" are diluted platitudes. Specific threats need specific statements.

couple, us we him her.

You may not want to believe it has a bearing but it does. "

Only if it concerns you.

It's not the colour of the skin I think is the issue but surely the issues start when non British passport holders outnumber British citizens without a valid visa then it's a issue.

But maybe myself growing up in various parts of the country living very close to Southall so I grew up in a very multicultural environment and learned not to judge by skin colour in my long complicated life I've met far more white assholes than non white.

My personal worries are the lazy, entitled who think the world owes them a living.

Bournemouth

If people want to bury their heads, I don't mind, but don't cry when it doesn't improve.

You might be right, but isn't that a separate issue? Surely where a specific community feels targeted or threatened, it makes sense for the government to make a strong statement about protecting that community. Statements about "protecting all" are diluted platitudes. Specific threats need specific statements."

The issues are intertwined.

golden fields

"Why are people bothered about being in the minority?

Are minorities treated badly in this country?"

Racists are a minority, thankfully.

The size of the counter demonstrations seem to far exceeded that of the race hate enthusiasts.

Cumbria

There are a few people on here who seem personally affronted that violent racists are being called out for being violent racists.

As our American cousins say ‘a hit dog hollers.’

Bournemouth

Only if it concerns you.

It's not the colour of the skin I think is the issue but surely the issues start when non British passport holders outnumber British citizens without a valid visa then it's a issue.

But maybe myself growing up in various parts of the country living very close to Southall so I grew up in a very multicultural environment and learned not to judge by skin colour in my long complicated life I've met far more white assholes than non white.

My personal worries are the lazy, entitled who think the world owes them a living.

"

I'd actually be more inclined to say it's culture that is the issue.

The less British there are, the more British culture is diminished.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree but to understand the concerns, one must first opens their ears.

By *ostindreamsMan 6 weeks ago

London

"I do worry the direction of travel the UK is going. Irrespective of peoples views on immigration, this is by no means to tackle the issue. There still remains a lot of myths on immigration, the whole adage that immigrants are taking my job, i have friends that are farmers and with Brexit are currently struggling because British people don’t want to do low paid jobs as it is “beneath them”. Something tells me the people using violence as a first means to protest aren’t the sharpest tools in the box….

Whilst I agree that people are concerned about immigration across the political spectrum, the current riots are predominantly being done by the far right, EDL, Islamophobic, neo nazis. These same groups don’t really care about immigration if it’s from somewhere in Europe and not Africa or Asia.

If people think immigration is reducing the cultural feeling of the area, well the smoking ban had a bigger impact on closing pubs than immigration did!

I beg the question if immigration would be zero would living conditions in the UK be better.. I highly doubt it. Over 80 percent of England and wales is white, which would suggest 20 percent isn’t and yes there are places with higher concentration of non-white populations, but that’s not going to change… even if zero? In the UK places are mixed, some places have “gentrified” some haven’t, some have expanded some have remained as per the 60s.

I’m yet to see a great articulation from the rioters… and nothing justifies violence."

Nothing justifies violence. And the rioters have to be punished.

But your take on the concerns about immigration is too reductionist. Remember, this is not just a UK problem. It's happening all over Europe. Macron and the far-left party were forced to get into dodgy dealings to keep Le Pen awa from power. AfD in Germany, Swedish Democrats, Wilders in Netherlands already have a much bigger vote share? Compared to them, in terms of people's support, the Reform party in the UK is nothing.

Do you think all these people have baseless concerns? British people are probably fine with European immigrants. Maybe that's because they don't see European immigrants sending death threats to teachers and kids because someone drew a picture or damaged a book? We have de-facto blasphemy laws in this country. Denmark recently brought back blasphemy laws because they couldn't handle the violence that happens as a consequence of blasphemous acts. At least the US has the first amendment to protect freedom of speech. Most of Europe has nothing like that.

Remember, democracy is a tyranny of the majority ideology. The problem with progressives is their naive belief that if you bring in people from different cultures and show them their progressive values, they will automatically become freedom loving pro-LGBT feminists. It's been already shown that it's not the case.

As for the job situation, ageing population is a problem but no single politician seems to talk honestly about it. They should openly give people the option to choose between high immigration to keep public welfare running or low immigration with public welfare defunded. If people make an informed choice like Japan to choose social cohesion over materialistic welfare, it's up to them.

By *asycouple1971Couple 6 weeks ago

midlands

If you are racist and follow these bunch of knuckle heads don't even think about contacting us.

Great way of claiming back your country by burning and destroying it.

Mr

By *imited 3EditionCouple 6 weeks ago

Live in Scotland Play in England

Interesting article about an imam (who is kind of like a priest in islam) who actually engaged with protestors outside his mosque in Liverpool. Good to hear someone being constructive in their words and actions rather than engaging in sensationalist fear mongering.

"Adam said he believes most of the people going to these protests are angry and fed up – struggling in their lives, whether it’s with cost of living, the NHS, or fear from hearing stories about ‘Muslims taking over’.

How do we address this? Adam says the formula is simple: ‘Recognising that we’re all humans. We all share these issues which people are raising, and the more we can communicate to each other."

https://apple.news/AWsg7fVfRRhW08uhy1LjcQw

Bournemouth

"Interesting article about an imam (who is kind of like a priest in islam) who actually engaged with protestors outside his mosque in Liverpool. Good to hear someone being constructive in their words and actions rather than engaging in sensationalist fear mongering.

"Adam said he believes most of the people going to these protests are angry and fed up – struggling in their lives, whether it’s with cost of living, the NHS, or fear from hearing stories about ‘Muslims taking over’.

How do we address this? Adam says the formula is simple: ‘Recognising that we’re all humans. We all share these issues which people are raising, and the more we can communicate to each other."

"

I've seen videos and articles of that fella. He's showing the Govt and Police up with the way he's dealing with it.

No violence whatsoever, why? Maybe because he engaged with people.

Cumbria

I wonder if decades of divisive right wing press coverage, or governments who have used the excuse of immigration to cover their own failures has anything to do with the way people feel about things?

When people are feeling g the punch it’s the easiest thing in the world to get them to blame people who are different, to keep them from seeing who is really responsible.

Terra Firma

I’m not saying rioting is a legitimate thing to do and I don’t support it, I’m saying people’s grievances need to be heard.

But the way to get those grievances heard, some of which are across all communities is not to smash the place up and attack the police..

You can't as a parent have a conversation with a screaming child having a complete melt down..

Only when calmness prevails can dialogue start..

And if all there is from any group within society doing what is going on now the only thing that will his that the system will rightly come down hard.."

I agree that the approach is wrong, of course it.

However if nobody is listening and denying you a chance to air your grievances the inevitable consequences are violent demonstrations, it is a well know path that has been travelled by thousands of demonstrations all over the world.

Sweeping the issue under the carpet created this shit storm.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan 6 weeks ago

I’ve randomly replied to tweets by Tommy Robinson, Joey Barton etc on Twitter vaguely agreeing to some of what they say but mainly to point out while posting about illegal immigrants child grooming etc tweet and campaign about the low life that plagues our communities, Thugs, gangs, dr*g dealers, they both come from areas that are full of them and will 100% know some of them, No surprise I didn’t get a reply

Do we know why these riots, I mean protests, are happening?

I'm not close to the specific marches, but I see no placards, no overt groups organising in their name, nor spokespeople explaining the group's views. The changes I have heard are about terrorism (the irony I have already expressed)

This thread, for example, feels like it is filling in gaps. "I'm angry about immigration; they are angry, so that must be the reason".

When one riot started, it seemed to be based on asylum seekers and the risk of Muslim terrorism. Of course, that spark is, at least in part, false. However, that does not mean that this specific grievance has disappeared. Yet this thread, as have others, has morphed from specific types of immigration to wider immigration.

This isn't unique to one side tho. We've seen the same with race-based protests. And ironically, we have seen some leading politicians suggest we call in the army. Yet now are asking questions...

I'd like lower immigration. These riots are not in my name. And I do not accept any arguments put on this thread come close to justifying the chaos and destruction we are seeing. If British culture and values is about lashing out when angry then I don't want to be british. That culture creates DV. And terrorism.

Terra Firma

"I wonder if decades of divisive right wing press coverage, or governments who have used the excuse of immigration to cover their own failures has anything to do with the way people feel about things?

When people are feeling g the punch it’s the easiest thing in the world to get them to blame people who are different, to keep them from seeing who is really responsible."

Or it could be their life experiences of feeling like the government and police are not treating them fairly?

Have you considered that could be why they are now rioting? They are actually saying this, you don’t really need to guess, as I have said previously, ignoring their issues, dumbing them etc is simply adding fuel to the fire.

Cumbria

"I’ve randomly replied to tweets by Tommy Robinson, Joey Barton etc on Twitter vaguely agreeing to some of what they say but mainly to point out while posting about illegal immigrants child grooming etc tweet and campaign about the low life that plagues our communities, Thugs, gangs, dr*g dealers, they both come from areas that are full of them and will 100% know some of them, No surprise I didn’t get a reply "

Tommy ten names was surprisingly quiet when one of his associates was done for being a paedo. Odd behaviour for someone so concerned about children.

By *melie LALWoman 6 weeks ago

Peterborough

"I do worry the direction of travel the UK is going. Irrespective of peoples views on immigration, this is by no means to tackle the issue. There still remains a lot of myths on immigration, the whole adage that immigrants are taking my job, i have friends that are farmers and with Brexit are currently struggling because British people don’t want to do low paid jobs as it is “beneath them”. Something tells me the people using violence as a first means to protest aren’t the sharpest tools in the box….

I’m yet to see a great articulation from the rioters… and nothing justifies violence."

Net zero, which I'm sure you mean.

Peterborough

Only if it concerns you.

I'd actually be more inclined to say it's culture that is the issue.

The less British there are, the more British culture is diminished.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree but to understand the concerns, one must first opens their ears. "

Which British culture? Might sound a stupid question but when you consider culture is steeped in class, you realise there are cultures and sub cultures. Then look at history. The Brits or go back further the Bretons, were conquered many times and their (the conquerors) cultures absorbed. Now people worry about immigration. Fact, it's better than being conquered

Cumbria

"I wonder if decades of divisive right wing press coverage, or governments who have used the excuse of immigration to cover their own failures has anything to do with the way people feel about things?

When people are feeling g the punch it’s the easiest thing in the world to get them to blame people who are different, to keep them from seeing who is really responsible.

Or it could be their life experiences of feeling like the government and police are not treating them fairly?

Have you considered that could be why they are now rioting? They are actually saying this, you don’t really need to guess, as I have said previously, ignoring their issues, dumbing them etc is simply adding fuel to the fire. "

What life experiences do you think the chaps who are pictured giving Nazi salutes on social media have had that have caused them to embrace Nazism? Have people had terrible experiences with ShoeZone that caused them to burn one of their shops down?

We know that that perceived inequality causes a rise in far right activity but what is causing that inequality?

in Lancashire

Have you considered that could be why they are now rioting? They are actually saying this, you don’t really need to guess, as I have said previously, ignoring their issues, dumbing them etc is simply adding fuel to the fire. "

Some are and do feel that way, some just want any excuse to attack Muslims no matter if the 'reason' had nothing to do with that religion and some are as has always been the case in my experience just tagging along for a tear up and a bit of looting and mayhem..

Peterborough

"Interesting article about an imam (who is kind of like a priest in islam) who actually engaged with protestors outside his mosque in Liverpool. Good to hear someone being constructive in their words and actions rather than engaging in sensationalist fear mongering.

I've seen videos and articles of that fella. He's showing the Govt and Police up with the way he's dealing with it.

No violence whatsoever, why? Maybe because he engaged with people. "

We need more modern day Gandhis.

in Lancashire

Have you considered that could be why they are now rioting? They are actually saying this, you don’t really need to guess, as I have said previously, ignoring their issues, dumbing them etc is simply adding fuel to the fire.

What life experiences do you think the chaps who are pictured giving Nazi salutes on social media have had that have caused them to embrace Nazism? Have people had terrible experiences with ShoeZone that caused them to burn one of their shops down?

We know that that perceived inequality causes a rise in far right activity but what is causing that inequality?"

Nothing says more than ' I am a complete moronic fuckwit' than torching a community hub and library plus shop then attacking the fire service who are trying to their job..

Scum..

Peterborough

"Do we know why these riots, I mean protests, are happening?

I'm not close to the specific marches, but I see no placards, no overt groups organising in their name, nor spokespeople explaining the group's views. The changes I have heard are about terrorism (the irony I have already expressed)

This thread, for example, feels like it is filling in gaps. "I'm angry about immigration; they are angry, so that must be the reason".

When one riot started, it seemed to be based on asylum seekers and the risk of Muslim terrorism. Of course, that spark is, at least in part, false. However, that does not mean that this specific grievance has disappeared. Yet this thread, as have others, has morphed from specific types of immigration to wider immigration.

This isn't unique to one side tho. We've seen the same with race-based protests. And ironically, we have seen some leading politicians suggest we call in the army. Yet now are asking questions...

I'd like lower immigration. These riots are not in my name. And I do not accept any arguments put on this thread come close to justifying the chaos and destruction we are seeing. If British culture and values is about lashing out when angry then I don't want to be british. That culture creates DV. And terrorism.

"

Blaming culture is a pathetic excuse. It seems to be a group of disenfranchised men who are aggrieved and saying "look at us, we're using ethnic minorities as a scapegoat, cos you the govt are not listening /helping us".

Unfortunately, the new govt cannot wave a magic wand and correct austerity, correct results of the previous higher inflation, cuts in public services, etc etc etc.

By *ewDevonCouple35Couple 6 weeks ago

Exeter

Most of these rioters couldn’t give two fks about violence against women and girls.

Cumbria

We need more modern day Gandhis."

Sadly, Gandhi was not unproblematic.

London

We need more modern day Gandhis."

You mean you want modern day racists and pedos?

By *roadShoulderzMan 6 weeks ago

Lerwick

This is what happens when the media, government (previous), social media trolls like Tommy Robinson, Laurence Fox and countless others, pump out hate, division, and fear of immigrants for at least a decade. "

These summer riots have been going on since long before social media, and certainly all my life and I'm am starting my 70th year shortly.

Google - Notting Hill riots, 1958, fears about post war immigration. Teddy Boys, White Defence League, right wing young men, hot summer nights, no football.

Harsh prison sentences seem to deter.

Before black people it was the Irish. History repeats itself.

The Outer Rim

"

"

... that and monumental fines in the tens of thousands, plus victim surcharges on top to pay for the damage caused and the loss to the country's economy.

By *uietbloke67Man 6 weeks ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Thugs being thugs

Terra Firma

Some are and do feel that way, some just want any excuse to attack Muslims no matter if the 'reason' had nothing to do with that religion and some are as has always been the case in my experience just tagging along for a tear up and a bit of looting and mayhem.."

That is also exactly the same with all disturbances / riots mobs with ill intent appear.

But I stress the issues behind uprising to begin with shouldn’t be ignored because it’s easier to shout thug

in Lancashire

Some are and do feel that way, some just want any excuse to attack Muslims no matter if the 'reason' had nothing to do with that religion and some are as has always been the case in my experience just tagging along for a tear up and a bit of looting and mayhem..

That is also exactly the same with all disturbances / riots mobs with ill intent appear.

But I stress the issues behind uprising to begin with shouldn’t be ignored because it’s easier to shout thug "

Agree fully..

Cumbria

But I stress the issues behind uprising to begin with shouldn’t be ignored because it’s easier to shout thug

Agree fully..

"

We also shouldn’t allow ourselves to be held to ransom by a violent minority. Neville Chamberlain showed us that appeasing Nazis never works.

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS 6 weeks ago

Glasgow

When did this happen?"

When Fake tan lotion and sunbeds became popular.

in Lancashire

Agree fully..

We also shouldn’t allow ourselves to be held to ransom by a violent minority. Neville Chamberlain showed us that appeasing Nazis never works."

Totally..

By *roadShoulderzMan 6 weeks ago

Lerwick

"

... that and monumental fines in the tens of thousands, plus victim surcharges on top to pay for the damage caused and the loss to the country's economy."

Absolutely. Perhaps we could offshore them to overseas prisons - Rwanda perhaps. That would be ironic .

But I stress the issues behind uprising to begin with shouldn’t be ignored because it’s easier to shout thug "

which is why those rioting need to be clearer what the issues are.

Glasgow

See some people aren't as outraged of physical assault on the police as they were last week..

By *gainagainMan 6 weeks ago

pontypridd

Calling these brain dead idiots 'right wing' is pointless. They wouldn't know what it means! All they see is a chance to go smash things up with less chance of getting caught. Then of course there are people like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, Lawrence Fox and Katie Hopkins who spread misinformation to make themselves look important, whose pronouncements wind up the brain dead thugs.

By *ty31Man 6 weeks ago

NW London

"

I've seen that article in Metro, very inspirational and rational man.

I think he makes a good point about listening and understanding.

People have concerns which may or may not have a genuine basis.

It's perception Vs reality and I think the best way to prevent people being drawn towards extremists is to engage with them and discuss what they think is wrong rather than ignore them or pass judgement.

By *ty31Man 6 weeks ago

NW London

"

... that and monumental fines in the tens of thousands, plus victim surcharges on top to pay for the damage caused and the loss to the country's economy.

Absolutely. Perhaps we could offshore them to overseas prisons - Rwanda perhaps. That would be ironic ."

Or now that the Bibby Stockholm is out of action put some of them on that and push it out to sea.

couple, us we him her.

Bring back water cannons and the use of baton rounds.

That will deter the fuckers.

Cumbria

"Calling these brain dead idiots 'right wing' is pointless. They wouldn't know what it means! All they see is a chance to go smash things up with less chance of getting caught. Then of course there are people like Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, Lawrence Fox and Katie Hopkins who spread misinformation to make themselves look important, whose pronouncements wind up the brain dead thugs."

I dunno, I think the Nazi salutes, telling people to go back to their own country, and ‘oh Tommy Tommy’ chants probably indicate a certain right leaning political stance.

Cumbria

"See some people aren't as outraged of physical assault on the police as they were last week.. "

I think the mistake you are making is to assume outrage with physical assaults by police officers means people don’t also condemn physical assault on police officers.

golden fields

What about in a similar situation where instead of violent rioting, it was peaceful. And instead of the issues being race hate related, they're environmental issues, should we also not ignore their issues and not just shout thug?

The Outer Rim

the extremist thugs can debate their 'great white replacement' conspiracy theory with a QC in front of a jury ... the majority are sick of hearing this nonsense being trotted out as an excuse for their ultra-violence

Peterborough

You mean you want modern day racists and pedos?"

The peaceful protests obviously!

The slurs you'll have to elaborate, my knowledge comes from a film when I was a teen.

By *abioMan 6 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Bring back water cannons and the use of baton rounds.

That will deter the fuckers."

Fun fact…. Water cannons have never been used on the mainland… only in Northern Ireland!

Boris when he was mayor of London bought a couple, but were never used! And they were sold by the current mayor!

Glasgow

"See some people aren't as outraged of physical assault on the police as they were last week..

I think the mistake you are making is to assume outrage with physical assaults by police officers means people don’t also condemn physical assault on police officers."

No your miss reading my point. Am saying the the people who were outraged with assault on the police and justifying the response. Don't seem as outraged by the assaults on police this time and are not calling for a tougher response by the police.

Cumbria

"See some people aren't as outraged of physical assault on the police as they were last week..

I think the mistake you are making is to assume outrage with physical assaults by police officers means people don’t also condemn physical assault on police officers.

No your miss reading my point. Am saying the the people who were outraged with assault on the police and justifying the response. Don't seem as outraged by the assaults on police this time and are not calling for a tougher response by the police."

Ah, I apologise.

The Outer Rim

No your miss reading my point. Am saying the the people who were outraged with assault on the police and justifying the response. Don't seem as outraged by the assaults on police this time and are not calling for a tougher response by the police."

it seems those people want two tier policing where far right thugs get a lighter touch than others despite attacking emergency service workers such as firemen trying to save a burning community library that the racists have torched.

By *abioMan 6 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

When did this happen?"

Reform are great fans of saying “multiculturalism isn’t working and has failed!”

But I know Nigel’s coded language is one his suppliers pick up quickly!!

Cumbria

I wonder what legitimate grievances were being expressed by the thugs who threw bricks at Filipino nurses in Sunderland?

in Lancashire

"I wonder what legitimate grievances were being expressed by the thugs who threw bricks at Filipino nurses in Sunderland?"

That's truly horrifying..

By *exxyyDy11Man 6 weeks ago

North West

Maybe the UK needs its own Gendarmerie like in France

Cumbria

"I wonder what legitimate grievances were being expressed by the thugs who threw bricks at Filipino nurses in Sunderland?

That's truly horrifying.."

Yet there are still people trying to legitimise these thugs.

London

You mean you want modern day racists and pedos?

The peaceful protests obviously!

The slurs you'll have to elaborate, my knowledge comes from a film when I was a teen. "

My comment was a bit of an exaggeration. Gandhi is man with multiple shades. He was known to have made racist remarks against black people in South Africa and even supporting racial segregation. Granted that he was young at that time and his views might have changed later.

He also had the habit of sleeping naked with his grandnieces. His justification was that he was testing his resolve towards chastity.

Gandhi was an important figure in Indian history, not because his methods in the freedom fight were effective but because he was able to unite India into a peaceful and stable country after independence. People owe a lot to him for India having become a functioning democracy. But his method of non-violence during the freedom fight didn't trouble the colonisers much.

The violent revolutionaries were more effective in the fight against the colonisers. But these kind of revolutionaries are good at overthrowing governments but not good at forming new ones.

Cumbria

What legitimate concerns are the people who have set fire to the Holiday Inn, which they know has people inside, in Rotherham expressing?

The Outer Rim

"What legitimate concerns are the people who have set fire to the Holiday Inn, which they know has people inside, in Rotherham expressing?"

looks rather like attempted murder that

Cumbria

"What legitimate concerns are the people who have set fire to the Holiday Inn, which they know has people inside, in Rotherham expressing?

looks rather like attempted murder that"

But they have LeGiTiMaTe CoNcErNs

golden fields

When did this happen?

Reform are great fans of saying “multiculturalism isn’t working and has failed!”

But I know Nigel’s coded language is one his suppliers pick up quickly!!"

People who think Nigel Farage is someone worth voting for don't mix well with others. It's true.

By *usybee73Man 6 weeks ago

in the sticks

When did this happen?

People who think Nigel Farage is someone worth voting for don't mix well with others. It's true. "

Just out of interest, source?

golden fields

When did this happen?

People who think Nigel Farage is someone worth voting for don't mix well with others. It's true.

Just out of interest, source?"

Hot sauce please.

From what we saw of the Stoke riots the 'stope the far right in stoke' group was joined by a load of muslim gangs from the area and newly arrived immigrants. That group in particular seemed to be dressed all in black and hooded to avoid identification and many were carrying weapons. Naturally the police don't appear to be taking much action against them.

In all honesty, the riots going on now, and the Leeds riots show folk in general are pretty pissed off with the state of things. One side is tired of being demonised by the government and the other side is tired of the authoriies being soft with people depending on their skin colour.

IF you ask us both sides should unite and deal with the authorities but perhaps that would be a bit too radical.

By *usybee73Man 6 weeks ago

in the sticks

When did this happen?

Hot sauce please. "

So none ...

London

"From what we saw of the Stoke riots the 'stope the far right in stoke' group was joined by a load of muslim gangs from the area and newly arrived immigrants. That group in particular seemed to be dressed all in black and hooded to avoid identification and many were carrying weapons. Naturally the police don't appear to be taking much action against them.

In all honesty, the riots going on now, and the Leeds riots show folk in general are pretty pissed off with the state of things. One side is tired of being demonised by the government and the other side is tired of the authoriies being soft with people depending on their skin colour.

IF you ask us both sides should unite and deal with the authorities but perhaps that would be a bit too radical. "

You saying anarchy is the answer?

Cumbria

"From what we saw of the Stoke riots the 'stope the far right in stoke' group was joined by a load of muslim gangs from the area and newly arrived immigrants. That group in particular seemed to be dressed all in black and hooded to avoid identification and many were carrying weapons. Naturally the police don't appear to be taking much action against them.

IF you ask us both sides should unite and deal with the authorities but perhaps that would be a bit too radical. "

Was that reported anywhere?

By *lueeyedchapMan 6 weeks ago

Nottingham

Keir looks to be taking it seriously at least, cancelled his holiday bless him!

I read an article he was ruthless when in charge after the 2011 riots, hopefully the same this time around.

golden fields

When did this happen?

Hot sauce please.

So none ... "

What are you asking for a source of?

By *eroy1000Man 6 weeks ago

milton keynes

In all the commotion surrounding these events I still have not seen much more on the perpetrator that attacked those girls. Last I read his religion had not been disclosed. I thought a few people here mentioned he was not Muslim though not sure how they know if it had not been revealed. Did it ever get released? I'm thinking if he is not Muslim it may help a little to calm the situation, especially against mosques

in Lancashire

"In all the commotion surrounding these events I still have not seen much more on the perpetrator that attacked those girls. Last I read his religion had not been disclosed. I thought a few people here mentioned he was not Muslim though not sure how they know if it had not been revealed. Did it ever get released? I'm thinking if he is not Muslim it may help a little to calm the situation, especially against mosques"

I read on another thread his parents were attendees at a Christian church but nothing about him..

By *hocolate37Man 6 weeks ago

Heathrow

"In all the commotion surrounding these events I still have not seen much more on the perpetrator that attacked those girls. Last I read his religion had not been disclosed. I thought a few people here mentioned he was not Muslim though not sure how they know if it had not been revealed. Did it ever get released? I'm thinking if he is not Muslim it may help a little to calm the situation, especially against mosques"

His parents are Rwandan - Rwanda is an overwhelmingly Christian nation (and at 2022, 3% of the population was Muslim).

Glasgow

So if he is Muslim, it's OK to attack mosques and Muslims..?

Cumbria

If a toddler has a tantrum and stamps its feet because it can’t get what it wants, do you give the toddler what it wants because it may calm the toddler?

milton keynes

"In all the commotion surrounding these events I still have not seen much more on the perpetrator that attacked those girls. Last I read his religion had not been disclosed. I thought a few people here mentioned he was not Muslim though not sure how they know if it had not been revealed. Did it ever get released? I'm thinking if he is not Muslim it may help a little to calm the situation, especially against mosques

So if he is Muslim, it's OK to attack mosques and Muslims..?"

No, not at all and is not what i said. As I tried to explain, if he was non Muslim, which judging by other replies could be likely, it may be better to reveal that very publicly. If it's hidden it makes it easier for idiots to make things up

milton keynes

"In all the commotion surrounding these events I still have not seen much more on the perpetrator that attacked those girls. Last I read his religion had not been disclosed. I thought a few people here mentioned he was not Muslim though not sure how they know if it had not been revealed. Did it ever get released? I'm thinking if he is not Muslim it may help a little to calm the situation, especially against mosques

If a toddler has a tantrum and stamps its feet because it can’t get what it wants, do you give the toddler what it wants because it may calm the toddler?"

I have no idea how that relates to my question

By *ressthefleshCouple 6 weeks ago

athlone

I'm not sure they really want that "

To get rid of the police so they can loot and riot

Glasgow

If a toddler has a tantrum and stamps its feet because it can’t get what it wants, do you give the toddler what it wants because it may calm the toddler?

I have no idea how that relates to my question"

Your asking for a change in rules and procedures to appease a section of people who are looking for an excuse to attack another group.

Pershore

If a toddler has a tantrum and stamps its feet because it can’t get what it wants, do you give the toddler what it wants because it may calm the toddler?"

A tad patronising, but let's run with it. If your toddler was continuously crying and unsettled, you might at least make some attempt to understand the cause and do something about it?

Cumbria

I have no idea how that relates to my question"

Yet you understood in your previous response.

By *eedshandymanMan 6 weeks ago

leeds

I'm far right

milton keynes

I have no idea how that relates to my question

Your asking for a change in rules and procedures to appease a section of people who are looking for an excuse to attack another group. "

No, again you misunderstand. I'm saying if the police can say he is non Muslim it takes away any groups excuse to attack places like mosques. Far from appeasing, I'm saying take away their excuse to attack.

in Lancashire

A tad patronising, but let's run with it. If your toddler was continuously crying and unsettled, you might at least make some attempt to understand the cause and do something about it?"

You would of course but if a kid has lost it and having a meltdown you have to calm the situation down to have a dialogue..

The rioters will get no actual dialogue or a chance to say what their perceived grievances are whilst they're attacking police and committing crime ..

And not should they or anyone for that matter..