FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The speed of fake news

The speed of fake news

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP    7 weeks ago

It's quite disconcerting for me how quickly a fake name and back story circulated SM, and that some highish profile names appear to have spread it too.

And all from a "news" account with limited reach.

Did you hear that the attacker was a recent asylum seeker?

I wonder how that then shapes layer narrative as it anchors a view. E.g. assumed religion and reason for parents being in the UK.

Or do we just believe all Rwandans are Muslim asylum seekers?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 7 weeks ago

Border of London

"It's quite disconcerting for me how quickly a fake name and back story circulated SM, and that some highish profile names appear to have spread it too.

I wonder how that then shapes layer narrative as it anchors a view. E.g. assumed religion and reason for parents being in the UK.

Or do we just believe all Rwandans are Muslim asylum seekers? "

This is the downside of the police and government restricting information, or drip-feeding it.

People are human - they thirst to know. In an information vacuum, any old rubbish will fill the void and the voracious public will lap it up - especially when it feeds their emotional and hateful predilections.

Border of London

"

This is the downside of the police and government restricting information, or drip-feeding it.

People are human - they thirst to know. In an information vacuum, any old rubbish will fill the void and the voracious public will lap it up - especially when it feeds their emotional and hateful predilections. "

The reason for the police restricting/drip-feeding is based in right-thinking, but perhaps the unintended consequences are worse?

By *atEvolutionCouple 7 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Remember when there was no internet in the UK? About 1991/92? I think.

Life was calmer - news came slower - and if you had an opinion it mostly stayed in your local circle of friends. If one of that circle made an obvious idiotic statement, it was quickly set back in place by peer-group pressure.

Now. 1 Internet connection. 1 Keyboard. 1 Idiot. And next thing we are all going to nuclear war.

Maybe the internet should be shut down in Summer, and we should all go play out again.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 7 weeks ago

nearby

"It's quite disconcerting for me how quickly a fake name and back story circulated SM, and that some highish profile names appear to have spread it too.

Or do we just believe all Rwandans are Muslim asylum seekers? "

This is how the Iraq war started. The fake lies of weapons of mass destruction, that Parliament believed.

500,000 killed including over 400 uk service personnel sent to their deaths by House of Commons that voted for it.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 7 weeks ago

in Lancashire

"

People are human - they thirst to know. In an information vacuum, any old rubbish will fill the void and the voracious public will lap it up - especially when it feeds their emotional and hateful predilections.

The reason for the police restricting/drip-feeding is based in right-thinking, but perhaps the unintended consequences are worse?"

I sort of agree and the age of this person does limit what can be disseminated but also possibly more importantly is the fact that it's common practise to not give out too much information on a suspect..

I doubt once the falsehoods designed to spread anger and cause a reaction are out there on the internet the authorities even if they say something will be believed in any case..

By *otMe66Man 7 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"

The reason for the police restricting/drip-feeding is based in right-thinking, but perhaps the unintended consequences are worse?"

This is the problem, people assume they are hiding something and it doesn't help when every update starts with, the police have ruled out terrorism.

Fuck me, it is the same as putting a sign up saying wet paint don't touch.

in Lancashire

"

The reason for the police restricting/drip-feeding is based in right-thinking, but perhaps the unintended consequences are worse?

This is the problem, people assume they are hiding something and it doesn't help when every update starts with, the police have ruled out terrorism.

Fuck me, it is the same as putting a sign up saying wet paint don't touch. "

Someone will always touch it..

People are human - they thirst to know. In an information vacuum, any old rubbish will fill the void and the voracious public will lap it up - especially when it feeds their emotional and hateful predilections. "

imagine being brainwashed by stories to the extent of causing violence...

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 7 weeks ago

nearby

"

And all from a "news" account "

BBC cover up of Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter

MI6 obfuscation of Diana Spencer death

Weapons of mass destruction.

Russian dossier

BBC cover up of Hugh Edward’s

Laws to prevent and control climate change demonstrations

Sunaks missing 5000 WhatsApp messages

Establishment and media manipulation.

‘ if you listen to fools, the Mob Rules’

(Black Sabbath 1981)

By (user no longer on site) 7 weeks ago

The problem is that the biggest spreaders of disinformation over recent decades have been Western governments and their supporters in the mainstream media.

In a context of collapse in trust in government and established media sources it’s not really surprising that people are going to turn their focus elsewhere for “the truth”.

The central response to this is inevitably going to be a crackdown on alternative media sources by the government. Legacy media will be fully supportive of this as their business model collapses and they see censorship as a means of holding at bay or eradicating new forms of competition.

The result of increased centralised regulation will be even more distrust in the narrative and sources who push it.

Of course censorship and control didn’t work ultimately in the USSR so not sure why the authorities think it will work in the West.

Terra Firma

People are human - they thirst to know. In an information vacuum, any old rubbish will fill the void and the voracious public will lap it up - especially when it feeds their emotional and hateful predilections. imagine being brainwashed by stories to the extent of causing violence...

"

It is continuous though and we see it here often enough when a person reads one thing and anther person takes a completely different view on the same story.

I find it is mostly emotionally driven responses that are out of kilter.

By *atEvolutionCouple 7 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Fake News is just as Fast on here, too.

in Lancashire

Such things are part of the armoury for all states, quicker and larger audience than how such things used to be done..

Extremist groups are just copying the script..

By *igNick1381Man 7 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

"

And all from a "news" account

BBC cover up of Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter

MI6 obfuscation of Diana Spencer death

Weapons of mass destruction.

Russian dossier

BBC cover up of Hugh Edward’s

Laws to prevent and control climate change demonstrations

Sunaks missing 5000 WhatsApp messages

Establishment and media manipulation.

‘ if you listen to fools, the Mob Rules’

(Black Sabbath 1981) "

This exactly

The 'trusted' MSM is no longer trustworthy in a drive for 24 hr coverage and the focus on being first, as opposed to being right

They'll put a headline put tomorrow and then bury the retraction a few week's later

By *irldnCouple 7 weeks ago

Brighton

"

Fuck me, it is the same as putting a sign up saying wet paint don't touch. "

True. I have to wonder whether they still shared too much info. Why, for example, was it relevant to tell us his parents were from Rwanda? Why does that matter? What purpose did that actually serve?

Border of London

"

Fuck me, it is the same as putting a sign up saying wet paint don't touch.

True. I have to wonder whether they still shared too much info. Why, for example, was it relevant to tell us his parents were from Rwanda? Why does that matter? What purpose did that actually serve?"

We cannot know.

What is probable is that many witnesses saw that he was black and possibly some people knew who he was. They might have decided to address facets that they knew they couldn't control, to get some ownership of the narrative and reduce speculation. It's a difficult balance, and the authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

By *wosmilersCouple 7 weeks ago

Heathrowish

Wasn't it in the wake of the murder of Sarah Payne, that vigilante attacks were carried out against a few paediatricians because illiterate morons would look them up online?

in Lancashire

"Wasn't it in the wake of the murder of Sarah Payne, that vigilante attacks were carried out against a few paediatricians because illiterate morons would look them up online?"

There was yes, one in Wales I think springs to mind..

Complete stupidity..

By *usybee73Man 7 weeks ago

in the sticks

Fake news? Hmm remember when the 3 stooges spread that much fear and lies every tea time knowing what damage it was doing

Then no jab, no job ... people should start to look at bit closer

By *abioMan 7 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The exact same thing happened after the trump assassination attempt… people are so quick, they want to be first

Citizen journalists at their worst….

The other problem is that certain people with big platforms and that should know better were leaning into conspiracy theories that suit the narrative they peddle…

For example… our beloved mp for clacton “could” have asked questions to the Home Secretary at the parliamentary statement yesterday… instead he decided to grift on social media and his GB news show

Notice how quiet he has been today?

By *astandFeistyCouple 7 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"The exact same thing happened after the trump assassination attempt… people are so quick, they want to be first

The other problem is that certain people with big platforms and that should know better were leaning into conspiracy theories that suit the narrative they peddle…

For example… our beloved mp for clacton “could” have asked questions to the Home Secretary at the parliamentary statement yesterday… instead he decided to grift on social media and his GB news show

Notice how quiet he has been today? "

Plenty of others on the other side were noticbky quiet last week and are fucking full of it today.

"The exact same thing happened after the trump assassination attempt… people are so quick, they want to be first

Plenty of others on the other side were noticbky quiet last week and are fucking full of it today.

"

last week has gone quiet (as expected) in terms of extra details. I've not seen any updates on backgrounds or motives etc. Have i missed something?

Bournemouth

last week has gone quiet (as expected) in terms of extra details. I've not seen any updates on backgrounds or motives etc. Have i missed something? "

Of course you haven't missed anything, it's how it works.

The point is, I don't see people like Fabio moaning that MPs on the other side of the floor were quiet (as expected) but suddenly wake up when it's the white man.

By *abioMan 7 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

You mean this….. what happened in Leeds last week

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/19/how-unrest-in-leeds-escalated-and-was-defused-harehills

You are right…. Another example of people on the far right spreading misinformation who should know better……

Bournemouth

You mean this….. what happened in Leeds last week

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/19/how-unrest-in-leeds-escalated-and-was-defused-harehills

You are right…. Another example of people on the far right spreading misinformation who should know better……

"

I'm aware of what happened. Did you read what I said?

Are you saying MPs stayed quiet because of the 'far right'?

By *enSiskoMan 7 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Lawrence Fox has organised a gathering not far from Downing Street, Already flares have been thrown at Downing Street and the police. There is a dispersal order for 20.30 so lets see how it goes.

Peacefully hopefully.

last week has gone quiet (as expected) in terms of extra details. I've not seen any updates on backgrounds or motives etc. Have i missed something?

The point is, I don't see people like Fabio moaning that MPs on the other side of the floor were quiet (as expected) but suddenly wake up when it's the white man.

"

are we talking the soldier or the burning of the bus ?

Bournemouth

are we talking the soldier or the burning of the bus ? "

Take your pick, you'll find examples on both counts. However, I was talking about Harehills and the bus.

Terra Firma

"

I'm trying to work the reactions out.

I'm starting to think some feel far more comfortable berating white males as it is an acceptable thing to do, encouraged too do.

Going very deep down the rabbit hole, so far things start to be believed as true with no effort in looking up whether it is or not.

I can only put this down to wanting to be argumentative, wanting to be seen on the side of good and blindly being led down the garden path and getting a massive feel good feeling for virtuous endeavours.

Being objective is not necessary if you follow the above

I'm starting to think some feel far more comfortable berating white males as it is an acceptable thing to do, encouraged too do.

Going very deep down the rabbit hole, so far things start to be believed as true with no effort in looking up whether it is or not.

I can only put this down to wanting to be argumentative, wanting to be seen on the side of good and blindly being led down the garden path and getting a massive feel good feeling for virtuous endeavours.

Being objective is not necessary if you follow the above "

I'm not 100px sure what the piunst beinh made here are.

Fabios seemed to be not that Farahe was "speaking up" but that he was making comments yesterday but not today.

In both the Leeds and Southport case the fake news led the real news (green MP part of riots rather than trying to help, and "17 yo" boat crosser to 17 yo UK born.

I've also not seen anyone who has taken different views on Leeds to Southport. But that's hard to keep track of tbh. Here and in public eye.

Terra Firma

Being objective is not necessary if you follow the above I'm not 100px sure what the piunst beinh made here are.

Fabios seemed to be not that Farahe was "speaking up" but that he was making comments yesterday but not today.

In both the Leeds and Southport case the fake news led the real news (green MP part of riots rather than trying to help, and "17 yo" boat crosser to 17 yo UK born.

I've also not seen anyone who has taken different views on Leeds to Southport. But that's hard to keep track of tbh. Here and in public eye. "

Oh you think I'm aiming this at certain individuals.. I'm not doing that, it serves no purpose.

I'm talking about the collective, and why the reactions change dependant on the situation.

Being objective is not necessary if you follow the above I'm not 100px sure what the piunst beinh made here are.

I've also not seen anyone who has taken different views on Leeds to Southport. But that's hard to keep track of tbh. Here and in public eye.

Oh you think I'm aiming this at certain individuals.. I'm not doing that, it serves no purpose.

I'm talking about the collective, and why the reactions change dependant on the situation.

"

I know. And I guess it applies to both sides too. I was just expanding on how I've seen it play out.

(I tend to look for consistency of behaviour as much as "right")

Terra Firma

I know. And I guess it applies to both sides too. I was just expanding on how I've seen it play out.

(I tend to look for consistency of behaviour as much as "right")"

I guess so in terms of scoring points against the enemy, white male who likes a beer and a night out, or the immigrants that don’t appear to try and integrate.

Both wildly subjective but strangely the same if you look at it objectively

I guess so in terms of scoring points against the enemy, white male who likes a beer and a night out, or the immigrants that don’t appear to try and integrate.

Both wildly subjective but strangely the same if you look at it objectively "

both will go to war based on a made up story and a good preacher

Terra Firma

Both wildly subjective but strangely the same if you look at it objectively both will go to war based on a made up story and a good preacher "

If those that supported one side or the other either through action or severe criticism could fight it out in a far away place, we would be left with the normals, going about their business saying good morning to their neighbours and even getting to know their names.

Bournemouth

I've also not seen anyone who has taken different views on Leeds to Southport. But that's hard to keep track of tbh. Here and in public eye. "

No, Fabio's point was that Farage decided to go public instead of ask questions in the chamber.

I'm not saying people have necessarily taken different views, they can't really so that too overtly. I'm sating that plenty who have 'expressed deep concern' over Southport stayed very quiet for other incidents.

By *onica-mayhemWoman 7 weeks ago

Belfast/dublin

"Fake news? Hmm remember when the 3 stooges spread that much fear and lies every tea time knowing what damage it was doing

Then no jab, no job ... people should start to look at bit closer"

Fake news like....get the jab and you won't get covid, you won't pass on covid to others and you won't die from covid? "If you have the jab then you become a dead end for the virus" is a direct quote from the US president.

That was pretty fast moving fake news that has not been retracted or apologised for. Funny how fake news from reliable sources never gets highlighted as such.

"Fake news? Hmm remember when the 3 stooges spread that much fear and lies every tea time knowing what damage it was doing

Fake news like....get the jab and you won't get covid, you won't pass on covid to others and you won't die from covid? "If you have the jab then you become a dead end for the virus" is a direct quote from the US president.

That was pretty fast moving fake news that has not been retracted or apologised for. Funny how fake news from reliable sources never gets highlighted as such. "

it was fauci

And for context this was the before

So even though there are breakthrough infections with vaccinated people, almost always the people are asymptomatic and the level of virus is so low it makes it extremely unlikely — not impossible but very, very low likelihood — that they’re going to transmit it

By *immyinreadingMan 7 weeks ago

henley on thames

"The problem is that the biggest spreaders of disinformation over recent decades have been Western governments and their supporters in the mainstream media.

In a context of collapse in trust in government and established media sources it’s not really surprising that people are going to turn their focus elsewhere for “the truth”.

The central response to this is inevitably going to be a crackdown on alternative media sources by the government. Legacy media will be fully supportive of this as their business model collapses and they see censorship as a means of holding at bay or eradicating new forms of competition.

The result of increased centralised regulation will be even more distrust in the narrative and sources who push it.

Of course censorship and control didn’t work ultimately in the USSR so not sure why the authorities think it will work in the West."

“Alternative media”. Tends to be “made up” media. Unregulated, unaccountable, unreliable. No thanks. I’ll stick with the real media thanks

By *immyinreadingMan 7 weeks ago

henley on thames

That was pretty fast moving fake news that has not been retracted or apologised for. Funny how fake news from reliable sources never gets highlighted as such. "

Good example of fake news there, the US president didn’t say that.

» Add a new message to this topic