FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Eu, Hungry and bit of Russia

Eu, Hungry and bit of Russia

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man 7 weeks ago

in the sticks

The European Union's foreign policy chief, Josep Borell, has stripped Hungary of the right to host the next meeting of foreign and defence ministers over its stance on the war in Ukraine.

It comes weeks after Hungary assumed the rotating presidency of the Council of the European Union, a role in which it would normally host the event, and amid anger over a meeting Prime Minister Viktor Orban held with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow earlier this month.

Mr Borrell said Hungary's actions should have consequences and that "we have to send a signal, even if it is a symbolic signal".

Hungary described the move as "completely childish".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cgr542l753po

Seems not all are singing from the same songsheet, wonders if the eu wants peace? Or is a few making a bit of lolly from the contracts handed out?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iman2100Man 7 weeks ago

Glasgow

The EU is supposed to be a club of like minded countries. To get in you have to perform various changes to align with EU values. It is therefore not unreasonable that an EU country that is now operating contrary to those values should be chastised for doing so.

My Hungarian friend says the majority of Hungarians are not supporters of Viktor Orbán, but his authoritarian, Putin like, grip on the country cannot be broken. He is also admired by Trump.

By *astandFeistyCouple 7 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"The EU is supposed to be a club of like minded countries. To get in you have to perform various changes to align with EU values. It is therefore not unreasonable that an EU country that is now operating contrary to those values should be chastised for doing so.

My Hungarian friend says the majority of Hungarians are not supporters of Viktor Orbán, but his authoritarian, Putin like, grip on the country cannot be broken. He is also admired by Trump. "

Yet he won more than 50% of the popular vote at the last election. Sounds like your friend is wrong re. 'Majority'.

Glasgow

"The EU is supposed to be a club of like minded countries. To get in you have to perform various changes to align with EU values. It is therefore not unreasonable that an EU country that is now operating contrary to those values should be chastised for doing so.

My Hungarian friend says the majority of Hungarians are not supporters of Viktor Orbán, but his authoritarian, Putin like, grip on the country cannot be broken. He is also admired by Trump.

Yet he won more than 50% of the popular vote at the last election. Sounds like your friend is wrong re. 'Majority'."

Yes, I wonder how he achieved that as an authoritarian semi dictator?

Bournemouth

Yet he won more than 50% of the popular vote at the last election. Sounds like your friend is wrong re. 'Majority'.

Yes, I wonder how he achieved that as an authoritarian semi dictator? "

I'd imagine he achieved it by getting more votes than the others

Glasgow

I'd imagine he achieved it by getting more votes than the others "

Absolutely correct. 4th term. Excellent result.

Let us not talk about his political rivals or the election process, or, as Politico says, "Experts and critics have long maintained that Fidesz (Orbán's party) enjoys an unfair advantage in Hungary, arguing that the electoral system was designed to favor the ruling party and that it also controls much of the media and advertising landscape."

Out of interest, a situation Trump hopes to import into the USA.

Bournemouth

Let us not talk about his political rivals or the election process, or, as Politico says, "Experts and critics have long maintained that Fidesz (Orbán's party) enjoys an unfair advantage in Hungary, arguing that the electoral system was designed to favor the ruling party and that it also controls much of the media and advertising landscape."

Out of interest, a situation Trump hopes to import into the USA. "

Regardless of their system, we aren't talking about number of reps but popular vote. The fact is that a MAJORITY of Hungarians voted for Orbans party in both constituency and party voting.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 7 weeks ago

Cumbria

Regardless of their system, we aren't talking about number of reps but popular vote. The fact is that a MAJORITY of Hungarians voted for Orbans party in both constituency and party voting. "

The majority of Russians voted for Putin.

By *mateur100Man 7 weeks ago

nr faversham

This is why the EU will fail, why the UN is toothless and the league of nations before it...but hey, I await the usual nonsense from those who believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden

Bournemouth

Regardless of their system, we aren't talking about number of reps but popular vote. The fact is that a MAJORITY of Hungarians voted for Orbans party in both constituency and party voting.

The majority of Russians voted for Putin."

Are you saying the majority of Russians don't support Putin?

Glasgow

The majority of Russians voted for Putin."

The majority of North Koreans voted for Kim Jong Un.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 7 weeks ago

Cumbria

Are you saying the majority of Russians don't support Putin?"

The majority of Germans voted for Hitler.

By *mateur100Man 7 weeks ago

nr faversham

The majority of Germans voted for Hitler."

All a bit juvenile... the majority of Brits didn't vote for starmer

By *wosmilersCouple 7 weeks ago

Heathrowish

Not quite....the best result was in 1933 when the NSDAP received just short of 44%.

But I do understand what you are trying to illustrate.

Bournemouth

That doesn't answer my question.

» Add a new message to this topic