FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Officer from Italy forced to quit UK police due to post-Brexit barriers

Officer from Italy forced to quit UK police due to post-Brexit barriers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *deepdive OP   Man 7 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

The elephant in the room...

I know, it's done and dusted.

Get over it etc. etc.

"Dani says his £26,000 salary is not high enough to sponsor his wife so she can join him in Britain

A police officer working in Manchester says he has been forced to quit his job after Rishi Sunak raised the salary threshold to sponsor his Italian wife to live in the UK in the post-Brexit immigration scheme."

Guardian today (22nd July, 2024)

Guess that the UK doesn't need foreigners in the police force - plenty unemployed could surely fill the role (isn't that the usual response?).

Fortunately the same doesn't apply to British working in Europe but hey ho.

Oh well - perhaps Labour will manage to sort out all this crap.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *astandFeistyCouple 7 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Someone has had your pants down mate. £26k is not even the salary for an officer in his first year. Being that Brexit was over 4 years ago then he'd be on a considerable amount before that, assuming he joined before Brexit.

If he did, and his wife was here too, then they could've applied for leave to stay. If she wasn't with him, then why hasn't she been for over 4 years?

Don't always believe what you read

By *ravelmanxxxMan 7 weeks ago

Durham/ Leeds

"The elephant in the room...

I know, it's done and dusted.

Get over it etc. etc.

"Dani says his £26,000 salary is not high enough to sponsor his wife so she can join him in Britain

A police officer working in Manchester says he has been forced to quit his job after Rishi Sunak raised the salary threshold to sponsor his Italian wife to live in the UK in the post-Brexit immigration scheme."

Guardian today (22nd July, 2024)

Guess that the UK doesn't need foreigners in the police force - plenty unemployed could surely fill the role (isn't that the usual response?).

Fortunately the same doesn't apply to British working in Europe but hey ho.

Oh well - perhaps Labour will manage to sort out all this crap."

And?

By *deepdive OP   Man 7 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"Someone has had your pants down mate. £26k is not even the salary for an officer in his first year. Being that Brexit was over 4 years ago then he'd be on a considerable amount before that, assuming he joined before Brexit.

If he did, and his wife was here too, then they could've applied for leave to stay. If she wasn't with him, then why hasn't she been for over 4 years?

Don't always believe what you read "

I certainly don't tend to believe what I read on here mate

By *astandFeistyCouple 7 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Someone has had your pants down mate. £26k is not even the salary for an officer in his first year. Being that Brexit was over 4 years ago then he'd be on a considerable amount before that, assuming he joined before Brexit.

Don't always believe what you read

I certainly don't tend to believe what I read on here mate "

But happy to belive the guardian without looking for facts. Why doesn't that surprise me?

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 7 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

The police as they are are not fit for purpose as the Leeds riots show, regardless of whether they are foreign or not. To be honest, we suspect its the nonsense degree requirement that's the problem.

If you're a British citizen, you can easily get a naturalisation certificate for your wife. If you're not a foreign citizen, then this is something you need to keep in mind when leaving your country.

£26,000 is an appallingly bad for a policeman as well. That's an entry level 'graduate salary' these days and not much better than a call centre salary.

By (user no longer on site) 7 weeks ago

The fella is training to be a detective. In year 2.

When he started there how's would have allowed him to bring his wife over.

The bar has now increased.

I'm guessing he'd be over the bar once he'd out of probation.

By *hawn ScottMan 7 weeks ago

london Brixton

Obviously it would me regional but in London the starting salary is £36,775 and goes up to £38,975 if you pass the 6 month probation.

However most earn a lot more due to the amount of overtime available. Used to be double time AND a day off in lieu. Although that may have changed

» Add a new message to this topic