FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Two child benefit cap

Two child benefit cap

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *0shadesOfFilth OP   Man 3 weeks ago

nearby

Liz Kendall, the new Work and Pensions Secretary warns of ‘stain on society’ as figures show 1.6 million children are affected by two-child benefit cap.

Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) said its survey of 560 families hit by the policy reveals “the deep suffering and deprivation it’s causing”.

Almost all of them (93%) said the policy had affected their ability to pay for food, while 82% said it meant they struggle to cover gas or electricity bills. Almost half (45%) of respondents said they struggled to pay their rent or mortgage because of the policy while (46%) told of struggles to manage childcare costs. (Full article Guardian)

£16.95 a week benefit for and capped at second child, looks to be life changing if you can’t pay for food, rent or mortgage.

Increasing child poverty, now a reported 20% of children borne into poverty.

In 2022/23, the number of children living in poverty increased by 100,000 from 4.2 million in 2021/22 to 4.3 million children (Action for children)

How many children is reasonable to expect the state to pay for, should there be a cap ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hrill CollinsMan 3 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

it's probably time for universal income.... then people can chose how they spend that money to suit their circumstances

By *exy_HornyCouple 3 weeks ago

Leigh

"Liz Kendall, the new Work and Pensions Secretary warns of ‘stain on society’ as figures show 1.6 million children are affected by two-child benefit cap.

Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG) said its survey of 560 families hit by the policy reveals “the deep suffering and deprivation it’s causing”.

Almost all of them (93%) said the policy had affected their ability to pay for food, while 82% said it meant they struggle to cover gas or electricity bills. Almost half (45%) of respondents said they struggled to pay their rent or mortgage because of the policy while (46%) told of struggles to manage childcare costs. (Full article Guardian)

£16.95 a week benefit for and capped at second child, looks to be life changing if you can’t pay for food, rent or mortgage.

In 2022/23, the number of children living in poverty increased by 100,000 from 4.2 million in 2021/22 to 4.3 million children (Action for children)

How many children is reasonable to expect the state to pay for, should there be a cap ?

"

Two

By *uri00620Woman 3 weeks ago

Croydon

Is certainly tricky because ultimately no one wants children suffering. By that token I'm on below average wage as a single parent, working and I'm on UC. Statically I live in poverty.

However, my child benefit goes into an account for my girl. I don't need to spend it on necessities bc I'm careful with money despite a much lower than average salary and living in London. That'll accumulate and she'll get it at 18.

I don't think I live in poverty despite labels. Being below average wage by definition puts many people in that bracket. I do know others in a similar situation to myself who have a higher household income but struggle monthly.

There's a lot of personal financial ineptitude about. For some ridding the cap will help but for others like everything else they'll just spunk the money away despite receiving benefits for multiple children who won't benefit from it sadly.

By *AFKA HovisMan 3 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Oh the conundrum.

We want less immigration. But have an aging population. Wealthier families are having fewer kids. But we don't support poorer families. Is this because we take a view that the state are laying for them rather than we are investing in them and the future. And is that because we don't think these kids will be upwardly mobile ?

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 3 weeks ago

Cumbria

"Liz Kendall, the new Work and Pensions Secretary warns of ‘stain on society’ as figures show 1.6 million children are affected by two-child benefit cap.

"

If people think £16.95 a week ‘pays for’ a child’s needs then they’ve never had a child.

We keep hearing that we need to have more kids but aren’t willing to make it a tiny bit easier for peso want to have more than two.

It doesn’t add up.

By *hawn ScottMan 3 weeks ago

london Brixton

Yes people are having fewer kids for various reasons.

More people seem to be having fertility problems. Could be that they are waiting to later on in life to have kids

You get one round of ivf free on the NHS but if it fails it's expensive to pay for

More couples don't want kids as they have got used to a lifestyle of expensive holidays and freedom

We didn't get child benefit as I earned too much which I accept as we didn't need it.

I know a single mum (just one child) and she gave me a breakdown on what benefits she gets. I was shocked and couldn't understand how she could live on that. Child benefit was essential for her. Luckily for her she is on good terms with the dad and he sends her money every month. Also both grandparents send money every month.

I fully agree with it being means tested and if a higher earner doesn't need it don't get it. Don't agree with cutting it for people that rely on it.

Yes people choose to have kids etc etc but circumstances can change and why should the child suffer

By *melie LALWoman 3 weeks ago

Peterborough

"

I thought the two child cap was on child tax credit.

Is it also on child benefit?

By (user no longer on site) 3 weeks ago

Id love to know who can keep a child in chicken nuggets for that payment let alone anything else

By *oo hotCouple 3 weeks ago

North West

"

The bigger picture is that children are the future of this country and if we all want a decent country to grow old in then we need to think about how best we can make sure that the children grow up healthy, nourished, and well-educated.

We can’t have a conversation moaning about a declining population and yet nor wanting to do anything about it.

Invest in the future and give young adults the confidence to think that they can bring new life into our world. That’s what I would say

By *mateur100Man 3 weeks ago

nr faversham

The bigger picture is that children are the future of this country and if we all want a decent country to grow old in then we need to think about how best we can make sure that the children grow up healthy, nourished, and well-educated.

We can’t have a conversation moaning about a declining population and yet nor wanting to do anything about it.

Invest in the future and give young adults the confidence to think that they can bring new life into our world. That’s what I would say"

Young adults in my experience are ill equipped to have, let alone raise, kids. The kids i see are, invariably,a pain in the arse with no respect because their parents have no respect and are ill equipped to raise kids. If you want kids, you pay for them, not the state. What's this declining population that needs 300,000 new houses a year?

Peterborough

"

Unless Labour has changed child benefit, then you're wrong. This is not capped at two children.

By *usybee73Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

Invest in the future and give young adults the confidence to think that they can bring new life into our world. That’s what I would say

Young adults in my experience are ill equipped to have, let alone raise, kids. The kids i see are, invariably,a pain in the arse with no respect because their parents have no respect and are ill equipped to raise kids. If you want kids, you pay for them, not the state. What's this declining population that needs 300,000 new houses a year? "

Interesting question, bit like pissing down our backs and telling us it's raining

By *arry and MegsCouple 3 weeks ago

Ipswich

Unless Labour has changed child benefit, then you're wrong. This is not capped at two children."

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.com/news/articles/c80xv9qqn85o.amp?amp_js_v=0.1&amp_gsa=1#webview=1

Having children is optional, if you can't afford them then use condoms and don't expect the rest of us to pay

By *ggdrasil66Man 3 weeks ago

Saltdean

It’s almost as if they are trying to replace us, but surely not, huh? I mean why would they moan about an aging population, discourage us from having children, and open the floodgates to immigrants and refugees? The conspiracy theorists would have a field day! Hmmmm!!

By *hawn ScottMan 3 weeks ago

london Brixton

"It’s almost as if they are trying to replace us, but surely not, huh? I mean why would they moan about an aging population, discourage us from having children, and open the floodgates to immigrants and refugees? The conspiracy theorists would have a field day! Hmmmm!!"

Who exactly is "they"

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 3 weeks ago

Cumbria

Young adults in my experience are ill equipped to have, let alone raise, kids. The kids i see are, invariably,a pain in the arse with no respect because their parents have no respect and are ill equipped to raise kids. If you want kids, you pay for them, not the state. What's this declining population that needs 300,000 new houses a year? "

I’m sure I’ve seen you on the forums crying about the levels of immigration (apologies if not). People who move to this country don’t bring their houses with them.

Peterborough

Unless Labour has changed child benefit, then you're wrong. This is not capped at two children.

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.com/news/articles/c80xv9qqn85o.amp?amp_js_v=0.1&amp_gsa=1#webview=1

Having children is optional, if you can't afford them then use condoms and don't expect the rest of us to pay "

Poor journalism. Child tax credit is a benefit but it is not called child benefit.

It's about child tax credit.

Peterborough

"...

"

History of child tax credit:

Remember married man's tax allowance? A person with a dependant had a tax allowance, could be a partner, could be a child. Labour abolished this and turned it into child tax credit (means tested).

Tories capped this at two for future families but allowed those, at that time, to claim for all their children.

It was a deterrent for those who believed they could continue procreating and get state help.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 3 weeks ago

Hastings

"...

History of child tax credit:

Remember married man's tax allowance? A person with a dependant had a tax allowance, could be a partner, could be a child. Labour abolished this and turned it into child tax credit (means tested).

Tories capped this at two for future families but allowed those, at that time, to claim for all their children.

It was a deterrent for those who believed they could continue procreating and get state help.

"

Thanks for the information very helpful if you were caped to two before you have them, then that is fair.

By *mateur100Man 3 weeks ago

nr faversham

Young adults in my experience are ill equipped to have, let alone raise, kids. The kids i see are, invariably,a pain in the arse with no respect because their parents have no respect and are ill equipped to raise kids. If you want kids, you pay for them, not the state. What's this declining population that needs 300,000 new houses a year?

I’m sure I’ve seen you on the forums crying about the levels of immigration (apologies if not). People who move to this country don’t bring their houses with them."

Crying about immigration? No. Voicing my opinion? Yes

By *ravelmanxxxMan 2 weeks ago

Durham/ Leeds

"

If you want more than 2 kids , pay for them yourself.

By *melie LALWoman 2 weeks ago

Peterborough

If you want more than 2 kids , pay for them yourself. "

If there comes a time when procreating is pushed for at state level, then yes the state should not have the cap. This cap came in for new families exceeding two children from point of being insitu. In other words those with more were protected.

I think with times being tough for govt spending, this cap should not be looked into for the first 2-3 years of the new govt.

By *atEvolutionCouple 2 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

"

"

None. But state help for those families that find themselves below a recognized poverty line.

By *quirtyndirty!Couple 2 weeks ago

Nottingham

If you can't afford to have kids don't have them.

Peterborough

"

None. But state help for those families that find themselves below a recognized poverty line."

That's what child tax credit does.

Peterborough

"If you can't afford to have kids don't have them. "

Maybe some miscalculate

Nottingham

Some used to game the system by having as many kids as possible with no income whatsoever.

By *ggdrasil66Man 2 weeks ago

Saltdean

As a father of five, I can understand why some parents are against there being a cap on child benefit. I however think that the cap should be replaced by a means test. Child benefit is still being paid to all parents, even those who really don’t need it. A means test would make sure that the money only went to those who deserve, and more importantly need it.

Peterborough

"As a father of five, I can understand why some parents are against there being a cap on child benefit. I however think that the cap should be replaced by a means test. Child benefit is still being paid to all parents, even those who really don’t need it. A means test would make sure that the money only went to those who deserve, and more importantly need it."

This is not about child benefit.

This is about the benefit of child tax credit which is means tested.

Child benefit WAS a universal benefit but there is a threshold now.

By *arlot o scaraWoman 2 weeks ago

Hell

"If you can't afford to have kids don't have them. "

Circumstances can change in an instant.

Have you never been injured and unable to work for a bit? I have and almost lost my house.

Ever been made redundant? I have

Circumstances are unfortunately not static

By *AFKA HovisMan 2 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

There were 400 more births than deaths in England and Wales.

There's something like 100k more 70plus year olds than a year ago.

We will get to a stage where it is normal to be middle aged and have both parents and grandparents alive.

Would the UK be able to run at that rate ?

How would retired parents support retired grand parents ?

The UK population model has some interesting challenges to face into in the next few decades. And the longer we continue to ignore it, the harder it will be to fix.

By *eroy1000Man 2 weeks ago

milton keynes

Seems that the 2 child cap did not make it into the kings speech today though ID cards did, despite them saying 10 days ago that it was not even on the agenda.

[Removed by poster at 17/07/24 18:12:29]

"Seems that the 2 child cap did not make it into the kings speech today though ID cards did, despite them saying 10 days ago that it was not even on the agenda. "

Hmmmm. Government Gateway does this already.

But, it does show how labour are prepared to lie to your face.

It was confirmed by many in the party when asked directly would there be a National ID Card. All to a one said no to every journalist that asked.

And precisely how would it make it easier to buy a house? As they have suggested.

By *mileyculturebelfastMan 2 weeks ago

belfast

Should only get benefits for one child. If you can't afford kids don't expect other people to pay for them for you.

Nottingham

"Yes people are having fewer kids for various reasons.

More people seem to be having fertility problems. Could be that they are waiting to later on in life to have kids

You get one round of ivf free on the NHS but if it fails it's expensive to pay for

More couples don't want kids as they have got used to a lifestyle of expensive holidays and freedom

We didn't get child benefit as I earned too much which I accept as we didn't need it.

I know a single mum (just one child) and she gave me a breakdown on what benefits she gets. I was shocked and couldn't understand how she could live on that. Child benefit was essential for her. Luckily for her she is on good terms with the dad and he sends her money every month. Also both grandparents send money every month.

I fully agree with it being means tested and if a higher earner doesn't need it don't get it. Don't agree with cutting it for people that rely on it.

Yes people choose to have kids etc etc but circumstances can change and why should the child suffer"

But it is means tested, you need to earn below £60,000 to qualify.

By *erry bull1Man 2 weeks ago

doncaster

Ironic that child benefit is to be capped , but a Muslim on disability benefits who is entitled to carers allowance , if he has 1or 3 wife’s they are all entitled to carers allowance if £114.80 a week each , you do the maths

Peterborough

"Ironic that child benefit is to be capped , but a Muslim on disability benefits who is entitled to carers allowance , if he has 1or 3 wife’s they are all entitled to carers allowance if £114.80 a week each , you do the maths "

Really?

In UK law only one would be recognised.

By *ulie.your. bottom. slutTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Glasgow

"Ironic that child benefit is to be capped , but a Muslim on disability benefits who is entitled to carers allowance , if he has 1or 3 wife’s they are all entitled to carers allowance if £114.80 a week each , you do the maths "

Doesn't that apply to non Muslims too..?

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 2 weeks ago

Cumbria

Why are you lying?

By *lubCouple500Couple 2 weeks ago

Paradise Island

"Ironic that child benefit is to be capped , but a Muslim on disability benefits who is entitled to carers allowance , if he has 1or 3 wife’s they are all entitled to carers allowance if £114.80 a week each , you do the maths

Doesn't that apply to non Muslims too..?"

Nope. Islam is the only religion left in the world that allows men to have multiple wives.

By *lubCouple500Couple 2 weeks ago

Paradise Island

Only one person can claim carer's allowance per person to be cared for.

By *irkby coupleCouple 2 weeks ago

Kirkby

If you can’t afford kids, take extra care not to get pregnant.

I’m all for the 2 kid benefit cap.

By *ostindreamsMan 2 weeks ago

London

"There were 400 more births than deaths in England and Wales.

There's something like 100k more 70plus year olds than a year ago.

We will get to a stage where it is normal to be middle aged and have both parents and grandparents alive.

Would the UK be able to run at that rate ?

How would retired parents support retired grand parents ?

The UK population model has some interesting challenges to face into in the next few decades. And the longer we continue to ignore it, the harder it will be to fix.

"

No one has a solution to this. Japan is the only country that at least faces the crisis head on. They are working their ass off. They are trying to automate the shit out of everything. A railway company in Japan recently started using robots for track maintenance. Some of their attempts at automation have been good while some have failed. But at least they are trying.

In European countries, people continue to live in denial. Everyone wants social welfare to continue working the way it used to work without taking the population crisis into account.

Glasgow

"Ironic that child benefit is to be capped , but a Muslim on disability benefits who is entitled to carers allowance , if he has 1or 3 wife’s they are all entitled to carers allowance if £114.80 a week each , you do the maths

Nope. Islam is the only religion left in the world that allows men to have multiple wives."

Technical yes it does. But I've never met a Muslim who actually does have more than one. Even in the Muslim countries it seems to be only the very wealthy who actually do.

But as others have actually mentioned the statement any extra people could make a claim for the same person is wrong. They could maybe get the one persons allowance shared pro rata at the most.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

you dont have to be related or live with the person you are caring for. So number of wives are irrelevant.

And you can only claim once. So number of people you care for is irrelevant.

But ignoring those details.

You do have to be acting for them 35 hours a week. So if this hypothetical Muslim person with three wives who need full time care who was doing 15 hours per day care ended up with £345 PW, I think they'd deserve it.

But hey, let's not facts get in the way of Muslim bashing.

By *aribbean King 1985Man 2 weeks ago

South West London

Not sorry but if people choose to have kids then they should be responsible of them financially themselves rather then depending on the state to look after them. People need to learn to take accountibility when making life changing choices

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Not sorry but if people choose to have kids then they should be responsible of them financially themselves rather then depending on the state to look after them. People need to learn to take accountibility when making life changing choices"
I hope you are saving plenty on your pension !

By *ravelmanxxxMan 2 weeks ago

Durham/ Leeds

Nope. Islam is the only religion left in the world that allows men to have multiple wives.

Technical yes it does. But I've never met a Muslim who actually does have more than one. Even in the Muslim countries it seems to be only the very wealthy who actually do.

But as others have actually mentioned the statement any extra people could make a claim for the same person is wrong. They could maybe get the one persons allowance shared pro rata at the most."

I don’t think many Muslims would come anywhere near a man dressed as a women. May be thats why you never meet any.

Glasgow

But as others have actually mentioned the statement any extra people could make a claim for the same person is wrong. They could maybe get the one persons allowance shared pro rata at the most.

I don’t think many Muslims would come anywhere near a man dressed as a women. May be thats why you never meet any. "

I've met lots of Muslims, not dressed as a woman, but in normal life mode where I spend 99.999% of my life. I've yet to meet one with more than one wife. Your also wrong about Muslims not wanting to come anywhere near a TV/TS/CD, as I also know and have met Muslim tgirls who have mainly Muslim lovers. Also been messaged on here by Muslim guys wanting to meet.

Sorry my experiences don't match your views on how all Muslims live and behave. But maybe you could share your own experiences of the Muslims you have met or interacted with..?

By *aribbean King 1985Man 2 weeks ago

South West London

"Not sorry but if people choose to have kids then they should be responsible of them financially themselves rather then depending on the state to look after them. People need to learn to take accountibility when making life changing choicesI hope you are saving plenty on your pension !

"

I am thanks

By *eroy1000Man 2 weeks ago

milton keynes

"Seems that the 2 child cap did not make it into the kings speech today though ID cards did, despite them saying 10 days ago that it was not even on the agenda.

Hmmmm. Government Gateway does this already.

But, it does show how labour are prepared to lie to your face.

It was confirmed by many in the party when asked directly would there be a National ID Card. All to a one said no to every journalist that asked.

And precisely how would it make it easier to buy a house? As they have suggested."

They certainly are not shy about saying one thing and doing the opposite but I was not expecting it to happen so soon, especially as they are supposed to be more honest than the previous bunch of crooks.

By *ostindreamsMan 2 weeks ago

London

I don’t think many Muslims would come anywhere near a man dressed as a women. May be thats why you never meet any. "

It's more complicated than that. Pakistan for example has death penalty for gays(though it's been a while since anyone was executed) but ok with transgenderism. They even tried out gender self identification for awhile.

Many Muslim societies would fine with a guy marrying a guy if he embraces being a trans woman.

By *hawn ScottMan 2 weeks ago

london Brixton

Christ on crutches!

By *hawn ScottMan 2 weeks ago

london Brixton

"Yes people are having fewer kids for various reasons.

Yes people choose to have kids etc etc but circumstances can change and why should the child suffer

But it is means tested, you need to earn below £60,000 to qualify. "

IVF?

By *exyusMan 2 weeks ago

halifax

[Removed by poster at 19/07/24 15:16:20]

By *altenkommandoMan 1 week ago

milton keynes

Again, it’s time for wholesale reform.

For starters I’d get rid of the Osbourne absurdity that a songle income household on £60k gets nil and a dual income household where both partners earn £49k eac and have a combined income of £98k keep it.

I’d stop it being a “benefit” and instead for every child reduce the lower rate of income tax by (say)3-5% for each child, that way higher rate tax payers still get the benefit but also contribute in. I could also potentially be an incentive for those out of work to get into work if there’s a tax offset.

If that were combined with decent reform of the welfare system it would work.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 1 week ago

Border of London

"Again, it’s time for wholesale reform. "

Yes!

"

For starters I’d get rid of the Osbourne absurdity that a songle income household on £60k gets nil and a dual income household where both partners earn £49k eac and have a combined income of £98k keep it.

"

100%.

And do what other countries do and look at household income for tax purposes, as well.

"

I’d stop it being a “benefit” and instead for every child reduce the lower rate of income tax by (say)3-5% for each child, that way higher rate tax payers still get the benefit but also contribute in. I could also potentially be an incentive for those out of work to get into work if there’s a tax offset.

"

In principle, yes. But lower income households still need help. But it could go from a benefit to a tax break.

"

If that were combined with decent reform of the welfare system it would work. "

Yes. And a general simplification of income tax.

By *eordie-nufcMan 1 week ago

Peterlee

A chavs charter to fuck as many babies out as they like irresponsiblely while taxpayers pay the bills

By *lfasoCouple 1 week ago

South East

Labour suspends 7 mp’s for supporting the lifting of the two child limit.

By *atEvolutionCouple 1 week ago

And so it begins - fracture/division and only in power for 5 minutes.

We are going to 'make the change' 'Turn the page' - take children out of poverty - blah frippen crap and blah . . .

See you in 6 months the de-whipped Labour MP's. We value your input so much.

By *mateur100Man 1 week ago

nr faversham

"And so it begins - fracture/division and only in power for 5 minutes.

We are going to 'make the change' 'Turn the page' - take children out of poverty - blah frippen crap and blah . . .

See you in 6 months the de-whipped Labour MP's. We value your input so much. "

It's almost as if one party is as bad as the other...who would have thought it

By *aribbean King 1985Man 1 week ago

South West London

The way I see it is if you cant afford to have kids then dont have them at all. The 2 child benefit should not be scrapped

By *idnight RamblerMan 1 week ago

Pershore

"The way I see it is if you cant afford to have kids then dont have them at all. The 2 child benefit should not be scrapped"

Agree! Looked at the other way, incentivising people to have more kids just to improve their income, is an obvious social minefield.

By *AFKA HovisMan 1 week ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Should we scrap child benefit completely.... ?

By *igNick1381Man 1 week ago

BRIDGEND

"Labour suspends 7 mp’s for supporting the lifting of the two child limit."

Lol

Here comes the new boss, same as the old boss

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Labour suspends 7 mp’s for supporting the lifting of the two child limit."
voting on an amendment of the kings speech (their parties plans) is a bit of a no no.

Better ways to have supported this imo.

South West London

"Should we scrap child benefit completely.... ? "
No child benefit shouldnt be scrapped but its correct and the right balance to have a limit on the number of children people have to claim it

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Should we scrap child benefit completely.... ? No child benefit shouldnt be scrapped but its correct and the right balance to have a limit on the number of children people have to claim it"
why is 2 the right limit?

While it makes sense from some replacement maths, that ignores those who don't have 2. So I could see an argument for 3.

South West London

"Should we scrap child benefit completely.... ? No child benefit shouldnt be scrapped but its correct and the right balance to have a limit on the number of children people have to claim itwhy is 2 the right limit?

While it makes sense from some replacement maths, that ignores those who don't have 2. So I could see an argument for 3.

"

The reason why 2 is a right limit because its a fair limit

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Should we scrap child benefit completely.... ? No child benefit shouldnt be scrapped but its correct and the right balance to have a limit on the number of children people have to claim itwhy is 2 the right limit?

The reason why 2 is a right limit because its a fair limit "

why is it fair ? And what do we mean by fair ?

By *idnightMischiefMan 1 week ago

London

If it was me, I would means test all child benefits and only make them available to families with low incomes.

I also think a 2-child cap is fair - every child is a carbon footprint, a strain on resources, and we only have one planet.

I'd also consider rewarding people who stay child-free.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 1 week ago

Border of London

"If it was me, I would means test all child benefits and only make them available to families with low incomes.

I also think a 2-child cap is fair - every child is a carbon footprint, a strain on resources, and we only have one planet.

"

Most countries with a similar birth rate to the UK try to encourage births - financially. Why reward people for remaining child free?

By *ik MMan 1 week ago

Lancashire

[Removed by poster at 24/07/24 21:25:17]

London

"

Most countries with a similar birth rate to the UK try to encourage births - financially. Why reward people for remaining child free?"

Every child on this planet creates a carbon footprint, the population is unsustainable at its current level of growth; we're wiping out nature and the environment in our quest for food and resources.

So, people who decide to remain child free should be appreciated for their efforts.

By *piritualBlackBWW1979Woman 1 week ago

Medway

"Oh the conundrum.

We want less immigration. But have an aging population. Wealthier families are having fewer kids. But we don't support poorer families. Is this because we take a view that the state are laying for them rather than we are investing in them and the future. And is that because we don't think these kids will be upwardly mobile ? "

This exactly.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 1 week ago

Hastings

"

Most countries with a similar birth rate to the UK try to encourage births - financially. Why reward people for remaining child free?

Every child on this planet creates a carbon footprint, the population is unsustainable at its current level of growth; we're wiping out nature and the environment in our quest for food and resources.

So, people who decide to remain child free should be appreciated for their efforts."

Dam right an all.. Very well put

By *quirtyndirty!Couple 1 week ago

Nottingham

"

So, people who decide to remain child free should be appreciated for their efforts."

This is without doubt the greatest, most awful lie that is at the centre of Green politics. Utter bullshit.

The main reason why the western world is so fucked up is because of declining birth rates. There are many reasons this decline, but thankfully moral guilt about humans' carbon footprint isn't one of them.

By *idnight RamblerMan 1 week ago

Pershore

"

So, people who decide to remain child free should be appreciated for their efforts.

This is without doubt the greatest, most awful lie that is at the centre of Green politics. Utter bullshit.

The main reason why the western world is so fucked up is because of declining birth rates. There are many reasons this decline, but thankfully moral guilt about humans' carbon footprint isn't one of them."

The main reason why the entire world is fucked up is that there are just too many of us. That's the truth of it right there.

London

"

The main reason why the western world is so fucked up is because of declining birth rates. There are many reasons this decline, but thankfully moral guilt about humans' carbon footprint isn't one of them."

More people = greater need for resources, including land, fuel, food and medical supplies.

Basic maths.

By *melie LALWoman 1 week ago

Peterborough

"Again, it’s time for wholesale reform.

If that were combined with decent reform of the welfare system it would work. "

The cap is NOT, I REPEAT NOT on child benefit.

Peterborough

"If it was me, I would means test all child benefits and only make them available to families with low incomes.

"

The two child cap is on the benefit that is means tested!

Bloody media for confusing people

Peterborough

"

With a kid

Peterborough

"

Weird view, but hey ho let's give single people rewards for not having kids, let's give everyone "free money"

By *idnightMischiefMan 7 days ago

London

"

Weird view, but hey ho let's give single people rewards for not having kids, let's give everyone "free money""

It is a weird view yes, but imagine if everyone received a certain benefit - maybe a tax break or something - but lost it as soon as they had kids.

I bet people would think twice about the consequences of not rubbering up etc.

By *iketoshow74Man 7 days ago

Northampton

I think child benefit should be scraped entirely and instead the money should go towards subsidising child care, school meals and school uniforms so it directly benefits the cost of the child.

By *ravelmanxxxMan 6 days ago

Durham/ Leeds

"I think child benefit should be scraped entirely and instead the money should go towards subsidising child care, school meals and school uniforms so it directly benefits the cost of the child."

» Add a new message to this topic