FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Outside of a Sporting Club who actually needs a Crossbow?

Outside of a Sporting Club who actually needs a Crossbow?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple 3 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Time for a BAN. Come on, Kier, get it done. And 25 years mandatory for aggravated use of a knife.

https://news.sky.com/story/kyle-clifford-manhunt-latest-murdered-women-were-alive-when-ambulances-arrived-13175961

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *va_NightingaleTV/TS 3 weeks ago

North Manchester

Seconded.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 3 weeks ago

Hastings

"Time for a BAN. Come on, Kier, get it done. And 25 years mandatory for aggravated use of a knife.

https://news.sky.com/story/kyle-clifford-manhunt-latest-murdered-women-were-alive-when-ambulances-arrived-13175961"

Som one that wants to kill

By *usybee73Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

I have 2 crossbows and an air rifle. I enjoy target practice with all 3 of them.

I daresay people still use long/archery bows as well?

"I have 2 crossbows and an air rifle. I enjoy target practice with all 3 of them.

"

Outside of a club they should be banned.

Hastings

"I have 2 crossbows and an air rifle. I enjoy target practice with all 3 of them.

"

Have a longbow and air rifle but the bow has more power then the air rifle.

So should bows of all kinds be treated the same as air weapons if over a power you need a licence. As is with Air weapons

Hastings

Outside of a club they should be banned."

So how would you ban them, You can stop the sale but only the honest people would hand them over if you ban them.

And I bet more people are killed buy knives.

in the sticks

What would be next? Cars? ...

Very simple really:

All so-called hunting or sporting weapons should only be found in a Club of that type. The weapon/s should never be taken from that club to home or anywhere else unless supervised by that Club and the Club is operated by licence. Weapons of a certain power should be owned or operated by anyone who does not have a licence approved by the Police.

Clubs should be open to monitoring at any time. Those found in breach of regulations should be closed down and individuals fined £50.000 or upwards and or prison.

And yes, I know there will be underground ways of getting weapons. And they should receive 25 years for aggravated use of any.

"What would be next? Cars? ..."

A car is licensed and operated by those with a licence and penalties for killing by car are already on the statute book.

And please don't answer with 'what next peanuts?'

By *rucking-HellMan 3 weeks ago

Northampton

"Time for a BAN. Come on, Kier, get it done. And 25 years mandatory for aggravated use of a knife.

https://news.sky.com/story/kyle-clifford-manhunt-latest-murdered-women-were-alive-when-ambulances-arrived-13175961"

I think they should ban literally anything that's dangerous, and that includes people. They should ban people.

Hastings

https://news.sky.com/story/kyle-clifford-manhunt-latest-murdered-women-were-alive-when-ambulances-arrived-13175961

I think they should ban literally anything that's dangerous, and that includes people. They should ban people. "

Now that I agree with a cull of people, would be good for the planet.

in the sticks

"What would be next? Cars? ...

A car is licensed and operated by those with a licence and penalties for killing by car are already on the statute book.

And please don't answer with 'what next peanuts?'"

Dogs?

Dogs?"

Any more evasions of the OP? Sausages perhaps?

Northampton

I think they should ban literally anything that's dangerous, and that includes people. They should ban people.

Now that I agree with a cull of people, would be good for the planet."

Mate, if only to get through that Dartford tunnel unhindered, it would be so worth it.

I'm sure that John Hunt, while grieving the Murder of his wife and two children, is thinking about you at this time.

By *entlemanFoxMan 3 weeks ago

North East / London

"I'm sure that John Hunt, while grieving the Murder of his wife and two children, is thinking about you at this time. "

It is very easy to trail the bloody victims and the reason for banning something - but a ban rarely addresses the underlying issue and can make things worse.

The govt spent over £50m banning handguns in 1997. The immediate effect was a very significant increase in gun crime, including the murder of Jill Dando.

Even today, handguns, despite being banned for getting towards 30 years still account for the vast majority of gun crimes by a very significant margin.

I suspect as the full picture emerges, the will be other failures that could have prevented these senseless murders.

I am not defending anyone’s right to anything, I just want any response to actually bring effective change.

Gun crime has decreased dramatically overall, since 1994 it dropped more than a third. Under 5% of death was caused by the use of a gun .

Home office figures. 2022.

in the sticks

And how many crossbow deaths in last 20 years?

By *ophieslutTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Central

In principle, I agree, without giving this extensive thought.

"And how many crossbow deaths in last 20 years? "

Not the point really is it?

in the sticks

"And how many crossbow deaths in last 20 years?

Not the point really is it?"

Surly context should be shown ... I believe if the op is referring to the murder, what if they picked up a shovel instead.

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

Not the point really is it?"

I believe the person would have used another weapon if the crossbow was not available.

By *wosmilersCouple 3 weeks ago

Heathrowish

I'm not against a ban.

However, if a nutter hasn't got access to a gun, they access a crossbow. If a nutter doesn't have access to a crossbow, they have access to a knife.

Nutters are nutters (sorry to be blunt in my description of someone)

I believe the person would have used another weapon if the crossbow was not available. "

Let’s unban guns then.

Terra Firma

I believe the person would have used another weapon if the crossbow was not available.

Let’s unban guns then."

Let’s unban guns then. "

He used a crossbow after all

By *wosmilersCouple 3 weeks ago

Heathrowish

"And how many crossbow deaths in last 20 years? "

Stephen Griffiths....convicted of 3 but says he killed 5....2008 or 2009ish

Angelsey....(Gerald Corrigan victim) 2019ish

Two incidents off the top of my head. There may be more but when is enough, enough?

Terra Firma

Let’s unban guns then.

He used a crossbow after all"

I’m all for discussion on rational terms

Then read the WHOLE thread then

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

As well as a ban should be an amnesty on handover of all weapons

Following which 10 years in jail for possession.

Terra Firma

"Then read the WHOLE thread then"

I have, hence my comment to you.

By *itonthesideWoman 3 weeks ago

Glasgow

"I'm sure that John Hunt, while grieving the Murder of his wife and two children, is thinking about you at this time.

It is very easy to trail the bloody victims and the reason for banning something - but a ban rarely addresses the underlying issue and can make things worse.

The govt spent over £50m banning handguns in 1997. The immediate effect was a very significant increase in gun crime, including the murder of Jill Dando.

Even today, handguns, despite being banned for getting towards 30 years still account for the vast majority of gun crimes by a very significant margin.

I suspect as the full picture emerges, the will be other failures that could have prevented these senseless murders.

I am not defending anyone’s right to anything, I just want any response to actually bring effective change. "

The government banned hand guns as a result of the dunblane shootings. How many school shootings have we had since? I would call that effective change

By *udandBryanCouple 3 weeks ago

Boston

As medieval reenactors, we have a crossbow, so are against a blanket ban.

We have answered the government consultation on the subject, outlining our concerns.

By *cuk1999Man 3 weeks ago

Canary Islands

And please don't answer with 'what next peanuts?'"

Ok let's also ban the use of hammers without regulations/licence. At least 4 knows serial killers used hammers to dispatch their victims...

Those who use weapons to hunt (bow /crossbow/ rifle/ knife) are not the issue .. random psycho are they will use whatever tool is available to achieve their end goal ..

Canary Islands

[Removed by poster at 11/07/24 02:53:28]

Canary Islands

"The government banned hand guns as a result of the dunblane shootings. How many school shootings have we had since? I would call that effective change "

Just for clarification how many school shootings did we have "before" dunblane ?

By *oulderingBearMan 3 weeks ago

Falme

Ok let's also ban the use of hammers without regulations/licence. At least 4 knows serial killers used hammers to dispatch their victims...

Those who use weapons to hunt (bow /crossbow/ rifle/ knife) are not the issue .. random psycho are they will use whatever tool is available to achieve their end goal .. "

But then surely a ban will prevent said random psycho using one?

My understanding of the current law is that they are already illegal in most circumstances and not exactly readily available so feel a ban/regulation would not be as effective as the way someone who wants to do harm with one now has to go about getting one would be similar under a ban.

So maybe time and effort would be better diverting resources to the police departments that deal with such issues?

By *ools and the brainCouple 3 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Surely 1 death is too many?

Crossbows are extremely powerful and dangerous outside of club use I cannot see why anyone would need to have one.

You can dress it up anyway you like but ultimately it's a weapon designed for one purpose, killing.

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

William Tell

By *itonthesideWoman 3 weeks ago

Glasgow

Those who use weapons to hunt (bow /crossbow/ rifle/ knife) are not the issue .. random psycho are they will use whatever tool is available to achieve their end goal .. "

Hammers have an every day use for plenty of households. Crossbows, rifles do not so its a false equivalence.

Knives it becomes more difficult because of the range available but they can be categorised into practical use and its only purpose is a weapon. Is it not already the case that if you carry a knife as a weapon it is illegal? For example if you are on the high street with a carving knife down the back of your trousers its not exactly for the sunday roast is it

By *ostindreamsMan 3 weeks ago

London

What are people's views on pepper sprays?

By *oulderingBearMan 3 weeks ago

Falme

Again it is illegal and carries a hefty sentence if caught with it but I struggle to understand why myself for a few reasons.

A) Readily available in Europe and therfore a template of control measures is there for copying

B) It is a temporary measure, unpleasant as hell but rarely (not never) leaves long lasting damage

C) Criminals have access to far more deadly and harmful items so why restrict a self defense measure.

These are just my thoughts and I'm sure the police have reasons against all these and would dismantle my argument quite quickly but its my 2 cents anyway

By *usie pTV/TS 3 weeks ago

taunton

I hope Kier doesn't waste any time bothering with a ban on crossbows, it will make sod all difference to a lunatic bent on killing.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 3 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

It's been easily proven that you can kill multiple people with a knife. You have to provide proof of age at the moment to buy one, which often entails providing an address too.

You could fall for media scaremongering or you could give normal folk the freedom to engage in target shooting activities. Unless of course you're prepared to ban something you like doing as well?

Northampton

"What are people's views on pepper sprays?"

They lack the finesse and control a good old fashioned pepper mill has, and can spoil an otherwise great meal.

By *ggdrasil66Man 3 weeks ago

Saltdean

I’d like a crossbow, if there is one going spare? But then, have to serve customers…

By *ust RachelTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Horsham

They are a vital instrument for food, self defence, and improving mental health.

Anyone breaks into your home with a machete, shoot them with a crossbow, they will seriously rethink thier actions.

You can hunt with a crossbow, I am for it, as long as hunting is for food and not trophy hunting.

Target shooting, I found with live ammo and air rifle shooting, you need to be calm and relaxed to shoot well.

Wait for the zombie apocolypse, you will need a silent kill weapon.

Horsham

Those who use weapons to hunt (bow /crossbow/ rifle/ knife) are not the issue .. random psycho are they will use whatever tool is available to achieve their end goal ..

Hammers have an every day use for plenty of households. Crossbows, rifles do not so its a false equivalence.

Knives it becomes more difficult because of the range available but they can be categorised into practical use and its only purpose is a weapon. Is it not already the case that if you carry a knife as a weapon it is illegal? For example if you are on the high street with a carving knife down the back of your trousers its not exactly for the sunday roast is it"

Look at the humble paintball gun. You can adjust the muzzle velocity up to about 450fps, then add a fully auto drop in kit, use solid training rounds. Who needs a firearm.

Only issue is the velocity, but that can be tweaked down after the fun.

So much whataboutism - let’s hope that one day it's not your daughter or mother or wife or baby.

Nobody - but nobody, has need of a crossbow.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

"So much whataboutism - let’s hope that one day it's not your daughter or mother or wife or baby."

What do you think your post is? "What if it was someone you loved, then you'd agree with me". If that's not whataboutism, I don't know what is.

'Reaching' doesn't help either.

couple, us we him her.

It's not just the human murders that are a concern the amount of attacks on defenceless animals has increased particularly swan's.

couple, us we him her.

People making light of this and making jokes really need to give themselves a long hard look in the mirror.

Regards knives I personally witnessed a stabbing this week and the ease and casualness how the attacker pulled the knife and stabbed the other guy without hesitation was frankly terrifying.

So yes ban knives ban crossbow's please.

"People making light of this and making jokes really need to give themselves a long hard look in the mirror.

Regards knives I personally witnessed a stabbing this week and the ease and casualness how the attacker pulled the knife and stabbed the other guy without hesitation was frankly terrifying.

So yes ban knives ban crossbow's please."

Terra Firma

What a load of nonsense, ban things because bad people do bad things with them.

Make them harder to obtain, but banning them only impacts people who use them legitimately....

Bad people have firearms, such as pistols, they still have them after they are banned and they use them to hurt people who don't have them because they are banned.

Hysteria rules the roost.

Hastings

"People making light of this and making jokes really need to give themselves a long hard look in the mirror.

So are you saying ban all knifes?

How do you carve roast beef with a spoon

Hastings

And if someone is stabbed with a screwdriver would you call for a ban Screwdrivers?

By *ornucopiaMan 3 weeks ago

Bexley

Surely there is something inherently sussy about anyone who wouuld want to fire a crossbow for any reason other than to send a heaving line over a tree branch?

By *JB1954Man 3 weeks ago

Reading

I will expand on this. I have a local area news type app. Recently there has been several posts about people being injured in my area with ‘nuts’ . These are industrial steel type. Police ‘suspect’ fired from a catapult .

Now I have used catapult for fishing. Not sure if can buy now . But could buy from angling shop . Metal catapult with elastic and pouch ready made. You could then buy upgrade to have heavy duty elastic , pouch.

These fired ‘boilies ‘ . Now if you used marbles / ball bearings this could kill very easily . Yet again not banned. What do you ban ? Only something that kills if makes headlines ?

By *I TwoCouple 3 weeks ago

all around

How many people have been killed by e-scooters vs crossbows ?

Should the sale of e-scooters be banned before crossbows ?

Horsham

"I will expand on this. I have a local area news type app. Recently there has been several posts about people being injured in my area with ‘nuts’ . These are industrial steel type. Police ‘suspect’ fired from a catapult .

Now I have used catapult for fishing. Not sure if can buy now . But could buy from angling shop . Metal catapult with elastic and pouch ready made. You could then buy upgrade to have heavy duty elastic , pouch.

These fired ‘boilies ‘ . Now if you used marbles / ball bearings this could kill very easily . Yet again not banned. What do you ban ? Only something that kills if makes headlines ? "

You can get hunting catapults, they are on another level with regards to damage.

Northampton

And suitcases!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 3 weeks ago

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 13/07/24 08:44:50]

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 3 weeks ago

golden fields

"How many people have been killed by e-scooters vs crossbows ?

"

You'd have to factor in how many people use e-scooters in public vs how many people fire a cross bow in public for it to be a fair comparison.

Plus the cross bow is designed for shooting a bolt at stuff. E-scooters are designed to get people around.

You'd have to factor in how many people use e-scooters in public vs how many people fire a cross bow in public for it to be a fair comparison.

Plus the cross bow is designed for shooting a bolt at stuff. E-scooters are designed to get people around. "

Indeed. And by the same measure all these whatabouters will think that legalising Heroin. Monkey dust and the like is okay too. After all, only criminals use them.

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

How refreshing to see posters who are normally arguing against each other agreeing and those who normally agree arguing. What a diverse bunch we have. Nice when the venn diagram is exploded!

Terra Firma

Plus the cross bow is designed for shooting a bolt at stuff. E-scooters are designed to get people around.

Indeed. And by the same measure all these whatabouters will think that legalising Heroin. Monkey dust and the like is okay too. After all, only criminals use them. "

And in the meantime sales of crossbows are going through the roof due to a potential ban... Strange how things unfold in ways not expected.

And if they are banned and people caught with them, they will be prosecuted too.

all around

Indeed. And by the same measure all these whatabouters will think that legalising Heroin. Monkey dust and the like is okay too. After all, only criminals use them. "

What a bizarre comment, hardly surprising ?

You may not be aware but any privately owned e-scooters are not sold to "get people around" as they're illegal to use unless you have your own private estate maybe ??

Terra Firma

"And if they are banned and people caught with them, they will be prosecuted too."

No they wont, they will simply ban future sales and continue to arrest people who have them in open / public places

all around

"And if they are banned and people caught with them, they will be prosecuted too."

It's already illegal to carry a crossbow in public without a reasonable excuse and can result in up to 4 years imprisonment.

Even death caused by a lunatic with a crossbow is horrific but context ... How many deaths have resulted from crossbows in the last 50 years ? I couldn't find a number ?

There's other more pressing issues for parliament to discuss ?

all around

Even *one

Indeed. And by the same measure all these whatabouters will think that legalising Heroin. Monkey dust and the like is okay too. After all, only criminals use them.

You may not be aware but any privately owned e-scooters are not sold to "get people around" as they're illegal to use unless you have your own private estate maybe ??"

Of course e-scooters are not sold to get people around - I used one just yesterday for wallpapering. LMAO

This thread is getting more bizzare second by second.

By *arry and MegsCouple 3 weeks ago

Ipswich

You may not be aware but any privately owned e-scooters are not sold to "get people around" as they're illegal to use unless you have your own private estate maybe ??

Of course e-scooters are not sold to get people around - I used one just yesterday for wallpapering. LMAO

"

You should patent that use, at least it's lawful

By *arry and MegsCouple 3 weeks ago

Ipswich

"

Surely if they were sold to get people around then using them wouldn't be illegal, would it

Surely if they were sold to get people around then using them wouldn't be illegal, would it "

Go on - tell me what they are sold for?

Terra Firma

Surely if they were sold to get people around then using them wouldn't be illegal, would it

Go on - tell me what they are sold for?"

It is not the purpose it is where it is used that makes them illegal on the streets of the UK, just like crossbows, guns and many other things.

all around

Go on - tell me what they are sold for?"

That's a really good question. You can't use them legally why are they allowed to be sold by the thousands?

Perhaps Keir Starmer should look at ways of making them legal and free up police to stop idiots with crossbows?

It is not the purpose it is where it is used that makes them illegal on the streets of the UK, just like crossbows, guns and many other things.

"

I was answering and asking 'what are they sold for' to this post . . .

*****You may not be aware but any privately owned e-scooters are not sold to "get people around" as they're illegal to use unless you have your own private estate maybe ??*******

And actually I used one in Salford not two days ago LEGALLY. And guess what I used it 'for getting around' As that was what is intended for its use.

Terra Firma

*****You may not be aware but any privately owned e-scooters are not sold to "get people around" as they're illegal to use unless you have your own private estate maybe ??*******

And actually I used one in Salford not two days ago LEGALLY. And guess what I used it 'for getting around' As that was what is intended for its use. "

You can use them if they are part of a council scheme and rented, other than that you can't use them on the roads

And actually I used one in Salford not two days ago LEGALLY. And guess what I used it 'for getting around' As that was what is intended for its use.

You can use them if they are part of a council scheme and rented, other than that you can't use them on the roads"

Oh really? Thanks for that information.

Terra Firma

You can use them if they are part of a council scheme and rented, other than that you can't use them on the roads

Oh really? Thanks for that information. "

You are welcome, glad to have helped

If only you had.

all around

"

And actually I used one in Salford not two days ago LEGALLY. And guess what I used it 'for getting around' As that was what is intended for its use. "

Was that the one you used for wallpapering

Go on then, enlighten us who SOLD you a scooter to use legally IN PUBLIC in Salford

Keep up

And back to the OP. Please.

https://news.sky.com/story/family-of-bushey-triple-murder-victims-say-they-are-devastated-by-attack-13177401

Breaking

Sky Sports and BBC racing commentator John Hunt 'devastated' by murders of wife and two daughters

John Hunt and his daughter Amy issued a statement after the murders of Carol, 61, Louise, 25, and Hannah, 28. Kyle Clifford, who is suspected of killing the commentator's wife and children, was detained by police on Wednesday.

all around

"Keep up "

Go on, I'm lost , enlighten us

"And back to the OP. Please.

https://news.sky.com/story/family-of-bushey-triple-murder-victims-say-they-are-devastated-by-attack-13177401

Breaking

Sky Sports and BBC racing commentator John Hunt 'devastated' by murders of wife and two daughters

John Hunt and his daughter Amy issued a statement after the murders of Carol, 61, Louise, 25, and Hannah, 28. Kyle Clifford, who is suspected of killing the commentator's wife and children, was detained by police on Wednesday.

"

https://news.sky.com/story/king-uses-convening-power-to-make-a-difference-on-some-of-the-most-pressing-issues-of-our-time-13177178

King uses convening power to make a difference on some of the most pressing issues of our time

Today you sensed the reason the monarch also wanted the ministers and the media there was to really listen to what the young people had to say about their experiences and the friends or loved ones they have lost.

(knife crime)

Horsham

Oh really? Thanks for that information. "

Why are electric scooters illegal on roads and pavements in the UK?

Electric scooters are currently classed as ‘powered transporters’ by the government and fall under the same laws and regulations that apply to all motor vehicles.

This means that it’s illegal to use them on pavements, in cycle lanes and in pedestrian-only areas, and it would only be legal to use them on public roads if they could meet the same requirements as motor vehicles (e.g., in terms of insurance, tax, licence, registration and vehicle construction).

Horsham

"And if they are banned and people caught with them, they will be prosecuted too.

It's already illegal to carry a crossbow in public without a reasonable excuse and can result in up to 4 years imprisonment.

Even death caused by a lunatic with a crossbow is horrific but context ... How many deaths have resulted from crossbows in the last 50 years ? I couldn't find a number ?

There's other more pressing issues for parliament to discuss ?"

There have been 15 incidents involving crossbows, that is in the last 24 years. But it doesn't say if the incidents included people being killed by the crossbow.

By *ldbutrandyMan 3 weeks ago

Walsall

I've owned a crossbow . Bought it off someone that had never gotten around to using it. Neither did I, due to lack of a safe place.

It was indeed a lethal weapon. But not the easiest to use. a young man such as the one charged with the recent murders could have done the deed with almost anything he chose.

Hammer, knife, petrol and lighter etc.

Evil will find a way. Ban all you want. it'll make no difference.

all around

"I've owned a crossbow . Bought it off someone that had never gotten around to using it. Neither did I, due to lack of a safe place.

It was indeed a lethal weapon. But not the easiest to use. a young man such as the one charged with the recent murders could have done the deed with almost anything he chose.

"

It'll be very effective if the walking dead attack you, Daryl was quite proficient with his ??

By *hawn ScottMan 3 weeks ago

london Brixton

Yes crossbows can be bought without registration or licence but if carrying one without a good reason could lead to imprisiment.

Gun crime is very low in the UK! our laws are

No Civilian can own a handgun, end of!

A farmer can own a shotgun to protect his animals from foxes etc

Rifles can be owned if you are a member of a club.

Licences for the farmer and club members these must be renewed every year and can only be issued by the police at a cost of £80 checks are done and if they have commited a crime or had mental heath issues the licence is revoked.

The police also inspect the house to make sure it is stored corectly. Can't remember the details but locked away, ammo locked away separatley and the something t odo with the key not being accessable to their children or something.

Can't be bothered to go into knives

Getting a handgun in the UK is not an easy thing to get and if caught with one its 15 years. Obviously you can't stop it compleatly but mass shootings arn't weekly news!

Remember the phase of acid attacks? I know the acid that was being used as I was able to buy it about 15 years back to unblock one of my drains. I bought it in an builders supply shop no questions.

Now you cannot buy it unless you can provide proof that it is for work purposes.

Getting caught carrying it without proof its for work is a year in prision.

When did you last hear of an acid attack?

I think our laws aren't bad!

By *hawn ScottMan 2 weeks ago

london Brixton

"I've owned a crossbow . Bought it off someone that had never gotten around to using it. Neither did I, due to lack of a safe place.

"

Sorry disagree, its much harder to kill multiple targets with a knife or hammer. You have to be close, the victium has a chance to defend themselves but that would depend on the situation. People survice knife attacks, if stabbed and it misses vital organs then it can get stuck and the attacker loses grip. They can also miss and it gets caught in an open coat whoich again they will lose their grip.

By *ldbutrandyMan 2 weeks ago

Walsall

Sorry disagree, its much harder to kill multiple targets with a knife or hammer. You have to be close, the victium has a chance to defend themselves but that would depend on the situation. People survice knife attacks, if stabbed and it misses vital organs then it can get stuck and the attacker loses grip. They can also miss and it gets caught in an open coat whoich again they will lose their grip."

You're assuming the user is unskilled. Fair enough. And if I assume the crossbow user is equally unskilled?

As was mentioned earlier, a hunting catapult using ball bearings would be much more effective. Easy to conceal and carry fast reload.

london Brixton

Sorry disagree, its much harder to kill multiple targets with a knife or hammer. You have to be close, the victium has a chance to defend themselves but that would depend on the situation. People survice knife attacks, if stabbed and it misses vital organs then it can get stuck and the attacker loses grip. They can also miss and it gets caught in an open coat whoich again they will lose their grip.

You're assuming the user is unskilled. Fair enough. And if I assume the crossbow user is equally unskilled?

As was mentioned earlier, a hunting catapult using ball bearings would be much more effective. Easy to conceal and carry fast reload.

"

Well yes, if you are skilled in knife fighting its held tight against the forearm and slashes are used so you don't lose it. Hard to defend!

I have lived in Brixton for about 15 years and even though its the nice part you don't have to walk very far to the bad part!

I hold 2 blacks belts and am always aware of my surroundings. If I am working late and something doesn't feel right I put my backpack which contains my laptop on my front and close my coat of I can. Legaly the only defence you can legaly carry is an alarm. I was trained to use kubaton which you used to be able to carry on a keyring as long as you could unscrew the top and it was a pen! That loophole was closed. However I keep my keys on a lanyard with a very heavy bike lock. One hit with a swing could give you an opening to run.

I have witnessed 2 stabbings (gang war) and 2 kids attempted to rob me with a knife once.

By *JB1954Man 2 weeks ago

Reading

I was poster about catapults , adaption . Further to my post . I do also sea fishing . I have two at present what are described filleting knifes .

Now these were purchased from yes online fishing tackle shop in UK. I did have to prove age.

Now both knifes are same. A blade razor sharpe edge and other side serrated edge blade.

I have measured blades and yes above legal limit .

Both have supplied sheath with clip to prevent accidental damage to person and others ?

I was actually while sea fishing this year asked to cover up knife by a police officer.

I was fishing on public highway . Next to road and public footpath .

My point is technically my knifes are illegal if not used for specific purpose . Cutting , filleting fish which I was using for.

So do you ban these knifes also?

london Brixton

"I was poster about catapults , adaption . Further to my post . I do also sea fishing . I have two at present what are described filleting knifes .

Now these were purchased from yes online fishing tackle shop in UK. I did have to prove age.

Now both knifes are same. A blade razor sharpe edge and other side serrated edge blade.

I have measured blades and yes above legal limit .

Both have supplied sheath with clip to prevent accidental damage to person and others ?

I was actually while sea fishing this year asked to cover up knife by a police officer.

I was fishing on public highway . Next to road and public footpath .

My point is technically my knifes are illegal if not used for specific purpose . Cutting , filleting fish which I was using for.

So do you ban these knifes also?

"

You cant ban all knives they are tools that people use every day you can only try to reduce risk. Like most people I have a massive kitchen knife using for chopping. Obviosly if I was caught carrying that around it would be hard to explain

errrrr I'm a chef that takes his knives home every night?????

You will never wipe out all crime, people have killed each other since the dawn of time. The Police just have to do the best they can to mitigate it

By (user no longer on site) 2 weeks ago

The crossbow isnt the problem its the person intending to do harm, if a cross bow wasnt available then a spear might be the next choice so where does it stop?? Until the joe public has no way of protecting himself or family if needs be, thats what its all about

By (user no longer on site) 2 weeks ago

And ill have a wild guess that the sale of crossbows will of gone up in the last few days due to (get one while i still can)

london Brixton

"The crossbow isnt the problem its the person intending to do harm, if a cross bow wasnt available then a spear might be the next choice so where does it stop?? Until the joe public has no way of protecting himself or family if needs be, thats what its all about "

Ok what in your opinion would need to be put in place so that Joe public could protect himself?

By *ldbutrandyMan 2 weeks ago

Walsall

Well yes, if you are skilled in knife fighting its held tight against the forearm and slashes are used so you don't lose it. Hard to defend!

I have lived in Brixton for about 15 years and even though its the nice part you don't have to walk very far to the bad part!

I hold 2 blacks belts and am always aware of my surroundings. If I am working late and something doesn't feel right I put my backpack which contains my laptop on my front and close my coat of I can. Legaly the only defence you can legaly carry is an alarm. I was trained to use kubaton which you used to be able to carry on a keyring as long as you could unscrew the top and it was a pen! That loophole was closed. However I keep my keys on a lanyard with a very heavy bike lock. One hit with a swing could give you an opening to run.

I have witnessed 2 stabbings (gang war) and 2 kids attempted to rob me with a knife once."

I also have ( had ?) A black belt in Karate ( useless for self defense).

Trained to brown belt in street jiu jitsu that involved knife defence.

Probably useless in reality.

If I were in your situation I'd carry something heavy, as you do.

Running is out of the question at my age lol.

By *itonthesideWoman 2 weeks ago

Glasgow

"The crossbow isnt the problem its the person intending to do harm, if a cross bow wasnt available then a spear might be the next choice so where does it stop?? Until the joe public has no way of protecting himself or family if needs be, thats what its all about "

A hand projected weapon and a mechanically projected weapon will never be comparable because of the speed and distance that damage can be performed with one versus other. If this guy only had a spear do you think he would have managed to kill all 3 people before being apprehended?

london Brixton

I have witnessed 2 stabbings (gang war) and 2 kids attempted to rob me with a knife once.

I also have ( had ?) A black belt in Karate ( useless for self defense).

Trained to brown belt in street jiu jitsu that involved knife defence.

Probably useless in reality.

If I were in your situation I'd carry something heavy, as you do.

Running is out of the question at my age lol.

"

Well regarding the martial arts it was more of training to be aware of your sourndings and try to anticipate possible trouble so you can avoid it.

Yes jujitsu (one of my black belts) wouldn't be great as a self defence, going to the ground would be bad!

I can honestly say I have never been in a fight outside of various freestyle competitions or kick boxing matches. If I had any trouble I was able to defuse it. Even it meant me apologising and offering to buy him a drink. Or even in one case I spoke to the bouncer and told him this guy was looking for a fight so if you see one it would be self defence. He looked over and by then he was harassing a girl than had rejected him so he got chucked out

I used to get challenged quite a lot in Belfast due to my size. There was almost somebody that felt the need to tell me that bodybuilders can't fight. I just remained calm and agreed with him. If he persisted I still remained calm said I didn't want any trouble and offered him a drink. If all else failed I'd just get and calmly say OK fair enough let's step out and discuss this. You can then see the facial expressions change then his mind.

The closest was myself and a friend who was ex forces got followed out of a club by two absolute giants angry at as for talking to some girls that they saw first??? We both knew that the diplomatic approach would work here so we just ran!

london Brixton

"The crossbow isnt the problem its the person intending to do harm, if a cross bow wasnt available then a spear might be the next choice so where does it stop?? Until the joe public has no way of protecting himself or family if needs be, thats what its all about

A hand projected weapon and a mechanically projected weapon will never be comparable because of the speed and distance that damage can be performed with one versus other. If this guy only had a spear do you think he would have managed to kill all 3 people before being apprehended? "

Who would carry a spear or even have the skill to use it? Not even sure who sells spears

By *otMe66Man 2 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"The crossbow isnt the problem its the person intending to do harm, if a cross bow wasnt available then a spear might be the next choice so where does it stop?? Until the joe public has no way of protecting himself or family if needs be, thats what its all about

A hand projected weapon and a mechanically projected weapon will never be comparable because of the speed and distance that damage can be performed with one versus other. If this guy only had a spear do you think he would have managed to kill all 3 people before being apprehended?

Who would carry a spear or even have the skill to use it? Not even sure who sells spears "

London Bridge, 2 people lost their lives when a person using a Narwahl tusk attacked them at an event.

Sadly most things can be used as weapons.

london Brixton

Who would carry a spear or even have the skill to use it? Not even sure who sells spears

London Bridge, 2 people lost their lives when a person using a Narwahl tusk attacked them at an event.

Sadly most things can be used as weapons."

That from a whale right?

london Brixton

Yeah it is a whale tusk! Then it's not a spear then is it? Where do you get a whale tusk? Well you could pop into the market and buy a shord fish.

This thread is going nowhere, yes obviously lots of every day things can be used a weapons but its going down the 2nd ammendment die hard mentality of its not the weapon that kills its the person blah blah

Ok in the USA you can buy an AR15 semi automatic, aim it out the window and commit a mass shooting. Yes over here you can grab a hammer (or a whale tusk) and run around the round the streets attacking people.

Not really the same thing is it, not even in the league.

By *innamon_swingerWoman 2 weeks ago

London

John wick killed 2 men with a pencil

london Brixton

"John wick killed 2 men with a pencil "

Chunk norris killed 10 with his death stare

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 2 weeks ago

Gilfach

"London Bridge, 2 people lost their lives when a person using a Narwahl tusk attacked them at an event.

Sadly most things can be used as weapons."

The attacker was carrying 2 knives. It was one of the 'defenders' that had the narwahl tusk.

Glasgow

"London Bridge, 2 people lost their lives when a person using a Narwahl tusk attacked them at an event.

The attacker was carrying 2 knives. It was one of the 'defenders' that had the narwahl tusk."

and had the attacker had a projectile weapon i suspect more than 2 would have lost their lives

By *otMe66Man 2 weeks ago

Terra Firma

The attacker was carrying 2 knives. It was one of the 'defenders' that had the narwahl tusk."

That’s my misunderstanding and thank you for the correction

The point I was trying to make I believe is still valid, anything can be used as a weapon

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 14/07/24 20:33:40]

By *igBeardedBikerMan 2 weeks ago

Nottingham

Here comes the nanny state.

I say give everyone crossbows, to be carried at all times.

People would be more polite.

london Brixton

I kinda zoned out with whale tusk but and I'm really sorry for posting facts but last year in the UK

30 murders from firearms

268 from knife attacks

65% of these were due to rival gang hits and another 22% as a result of a domestic violence.

In comparison last year in the USA there were 365 firemarm murders per day.

So pick up your boom boom sticks 'merica. Remember the second ammendment that was written about 150 years ago and really doesn't compare to the modern day NRA forever

By *ust RachelTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Horsham

Thats why I like the humble paintball gun, semi/fully auto, 300 solid training rounds, with in reason quite easy to get hold off. If you can get them over here, you can use the riot control pepper balls.

I was told by a school teacher how to turn them into an improvised shotgun as well.

london Brixton

Thats why I like the humble paintball gun, semi/fully auto, 300 solid training rounds, with in reason quite easy to get hold off. If you can get them over here, you can use the riot control pepper balls.

I was told by a school teacher how to turn them into an improvised shotgun as well."

Do you have a point here? are you implying that you can use this as as some form of defence?

By *I TwoCouple 2 weeks ago

all around

At the end of the day the question was "outside of a sporting club who actually needs a crossbow ' the answer is probably nobody so why ban them ? How many people do you ever see roaming the streets (currently illegally) with a crossbow anyway ?

By *atEvolution OP   Couple 2 weeks ago

Very simple really:

All so-called hunting or sporting weapons should only be found in a Club of that type. The weapon/s should never be taken from that club to home or anywhere else unless supervised by that Club and the Club is operated by licence. Weapons of a certain power should be owned or operated by anyone who does not have a licence approved by the Police.

Clubs should be open to monitoring at any time. Those found in breach of regulations should be closed down and individuals fined £50.000 or upwards and or prison.

And yes, I know there will be underground ways of getting weapons. And they should receive 25 years for aggravated use of any.

all around

"Very simple really:

And yes, I know there will be underground ways of getting weapons. And they should receive 25 years for aggravated use of any."

Glad you agree

[Removed by poster at 15/07/24 09:04:15]

"Very simple really:

Glad you agree"

By CatEvolution OP Find posts by CatEvolution Couple 5 days ago

Very simple really:

I wrote that 5 days ago

all around

"Very simple really:

Glad you agree

By CatEvolution OP Find posts by CatEvolution Couple 5 days ago

Very simple really:

I wrote that 5 days ago "

Glad you agree

As you can see, it's you who agrees with me.

all around

"As you can see, it's you who agrees with me. "

If you read the posts I didn't

"As you can see, it's you who agrees with me.

If you read the posts I didn't "

So tell me then - what was I agreeing with you then? When you wrote, 'Glad you agree'?

all around

"As you can see, it's you who agrees with me.

If you read the posts I didn't

So tell me then - what was I agreeing with you then? When you wrote, 'Glad you agree'?

"

I didn't say you agreed with ME, it was sarcasm, you clearly agree with yourself

Quite the opposite

You suggest Kier Starmer needs to take action

I'm suggesting there's more important issues to discuss and gave an example of e-scooters (did you ever confirm who sold you the one you used legally on public property and wether it was the same one used for decorating ? )

"Very simple really:

Glad you agree"

And yet, clearly, you did say that.

all around

"Very simple really:

Glad you agree

And yet, clearly, you did say that. "

And clearly glad that you agree (with yourself)

Or your welcome to quote the post that agrees

[Removed by poster at 15/07/24 10:20:57]

"Very simple really:

Glad you agree

Or your welcome to quote the post that agrees "

I just did - above.

Anyway. I'll leave you to play under the bridge - Off to do some well-earned retail therapy.

all around

"Very simple really:

Glad you agree

Or your welcome to quote the post that agrees

I just did - above.

Anyway. I'll leave you to play under the bridge - Off to do some well-earned retail therapy. "

We're off to enjoy a week in the Scottish sun so be good xx

And do let me know the name of that scooter company

Have a super holiday - and when you are ready to become an investor in Lime, I'll tell you

all around

"Have a super holiday - and when you are ready to become an investor in Lime, I'll tell you "

And as usual your posts fall back to insults

Buy yourself something nice to take your mind off it xx

By *ust RachelTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Horsham

I was told by a school teacher how to turn them into an improvised shotgun as well.

Do you have a point here? are you implying that you can use this as as some form of defence? "

Of course I do, not much is said about paintball guns.

Ok anything over 180 fps muzzle velocity is a firearm offence, but they generally get over looked as every paintball site gun kicks out roughly 250 fps.

"Have a super holiday - and when you are ready to become an investor in Lime, I'll tell you

Buy yourself something nice to take your mind off it xx"

Astonishing? Where is the insult exactly?

By *arry and MegsCouple 2 weeks ago

Ipswich

"Have a super holiday - and when you are ready to become an investor in Lime, I'll tell you

Buy yourself something nice to take your mind off it xx

Astonishing? Where is the insult exactly?"

It wasn't hard to spot to be fair

By *ggdrasil66Man 2 weeks ago

Saltdean

Sutcliffe used a hammer, let’s ban em all!

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 2 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

While we disagree with banning them we do think the death penalty needs to be brought back for murder, and the bar for murder to be lowered when applied by mens rea. Far too many claiming diminished responsibility and getting manslaughter.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 2 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

Also just to highlight, the Nottingham killer who killed 3 people with a knife and went onto trying to run over a bunch more. No crossbow used there, and also no murder charge when they caught the bastard.

By *ools and the brainCouple 2 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Sutcliffe used a hammer, let’s ban em all!"

You are being ridiculous.

Pretty much anything in the wrong hands can be used as a weapon.

What we are talking about is banning things that have one purpose only and that's to kill or seriously injure.

A crossbow fit's this category.

Banning knives well obviously not all knives but no one needs a ten inch hunting knife in this country with the exception of possibly military or a Forrest ranger, banning the sale of these zombie knives they are ridiculous and have no place in the world.

Machete why would anyone other than perhaps tree felling would you need one in the UK?

So yes ban weapons banning tool's is ridiculous and wouldn't be possible.

By *ornucopiaMan 2 weeks ago

Bexley

"

Sutcliffe used a hammer, let’s ban em all!"

Well,If I happened to be a criminal psychology profiler, I would probably pay more attention to someone having an interest in crossbow ownership than in hammer ownership!

london Brixton

Do you have a point here? are you implying that you can use this as as some form of defence?

Of course I do, not much is said about paintball guns.

Ok anything over 180 fps muzzle velocity is a firearm offence, but they generally get over looked as every paintball site gun kicks out roughly 250 fps."

I thought this thread would be over! are you actually for real?

Ok anyone can purchase a paint ball gun in the UK and it isn't really reguated. However posession of a modified one is illegal and possion of it wilt illegal ammo such as copper balls is also not allowed. You cannot carry a paint ball gun around with you for self defense.

The only 100% legal defence device you can carry in the UK is an alarm.

Don't take my word for it, carry one around after a night out and if confronted shoot him in the face! You'll not get Fab in prison

» Add a new message to this topic