FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Chancellor's new speech...

Chancellor's new speech...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *one_wolf. OP   Man 3 weeks ago

Chatham

I'm not a labour supporter or voter HOWEVER the speech today made me very happy. We need to Build build build, force through planning reform and also the ban on onshore wind is amazing.

Need housing, national government needs to override local on major projects. Get the London sphere and film studio built. Growth kickstarted.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 3 weeks ago

golden fields

"I'm not a labour supporter or voter HOWEVER the speech today made me very happy. We need to Build build build, force through planning reform and also the ban on onshore wind is amazing.

Need housing, national government needs to override local on major projects. Get the London sphere and film studio built. Growth kickstarted."

They dropped the band on onshore wind farms. But yes it's great news.

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

"I'm not a labour supporter or voter HOWEVER the speech today made me very happy. We need to Build build build, force through planning reform and also the ban on onshore wind is amazing.

Need housing, national government needs to override local on major projects. Get the London sphere and film studio built. Growth kickstarted.

They dropped the band on onshore wind farms. But yes it's great news. "

Which band was it? Earth Wind & Fire

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 3 weeks ago

golden fields

They dropped the band on onshore wind farms. But yes it's great news.

Which band was it? Earth Wind & Fire "

By *one_wolf. OP   Man 3 weeks ago

Chatham

They dropped the band on onshore wind farms. But yes it's great news. "

Yup and hopefully will classify it as nationally critical infrastructure.

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I'm cautious on the ambition, Labour need to remember they are in power no longer in opposition, so they must deliver on their promises.

Saying they will build 1.5 million houses over the course of this parliament is going to be impossible, that is 34 houses every hour of every day for 5 years.

Not only are the numbers questionable, but the investment is too. Calling out for private sector cash to get their ambitions delivered is not really owning the problem, it is outsourcing it and it will come at a cost.

Finally, saying they will loosen restrictions on the land they build on means what exactly?

If they can pull this off I will be very impressed, somehow I think it is going to be travelling the same way as 40 new hospitals.

Brighton

"I'm cautious on the ambition, Labour need to remember they are in power no longer in opposition, so they must deliver on their promises.

Saying they will build 1.5 million houses over the course of this parliament is going to be impossible, that is 34 houses every hour of every day for 5 years.

Not only are the numbers questionable, but the investment is too. Calling out for private sector cash to get their ambitions delivered is not really owning the problem, it is outsourcing it and it will come at a cost.

Finally, saying they will loosen restrictions on the land they build on means what exactly?

If they can pull this off I will be very impressed, somehow I think it is going to be travelling the same way as 40 new hospitals. "

Small bugbear of mine… do they mean 1.5 million homes or houses? ie does that include flats?

By *exy_HornyCouple 3 weeks ago

Leigh

There are many obstacles to getting houses built, not least thee Environment Agency (and Welsh / Scottish equivalents). They require all development to be nutrient neutral so major infrastructure improvements are frequently needed.

You also have the problem of big developers sitting on land banks then releasing them for build slowly to keep prices high.

Terra Firma

"I'm cautious on the ambition, Labour need to remember they are in power no longer in opposition, so they must deliver on their promises.

If they can pull this off I will be very impressed, somehow I think it is going to be travelling the same way as 40 new hospitals.

Small bugbear of mine… do they mean 1.5 million homes or houses? ie does that include flats?"

Good point, homes

Brighton

Small bugbear of mine… do they mean 1.5 million homes or houses? ie does that include flats?

Good point, homes"

Oh I actually thought the media rather than you said “houses” and was sure I read that.

Brighton

Ms Reeves confirmed Labour's commitment to build 1.5million new homes by the next election with an overhaul of planning rules that are stopping Britain building. New developments will be allowed on some parts of the green belt after review of the boundaries by local authorities.

The Government will prioritise brownfield and so-called grey belt land for housebuilding, which would include affordable housing and housing for social rent. Mandatory housebuilding targets will be restored and 300 additional planning officers will be hired to speed up decisions.

Ms Reeves said: "This is not a green light for any type of housing. We will take an interventionist approach to make sure we have the right housing mix that our country needs and our people need.”

Decisions for major infrastructure projects will be made nationally rather than locally to stop important schemes getting tied up in red tape. The Chancellor said a new taskforce would fire up progress on stalled housing sites, including some 14,000 homes in Liverpool central docks, Worcester Parkway, Northstowe and Langley Sutton Coldfield.

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Ms Reeves confirmed Labour's commitment to build 1.5million new homes by the next election with an overhaul of planning rules that are stopping Britain building. New developments will be allowed on some parts of the green belt after review of the boundaries by local authorities.

The Government will prioritise brownfield and so-called grey belt land for housebuilding, which would include affordable housing and housing for social rent. Mandatory housebuilding targets will be restored and 300 additional planning officers will be hired to speed up decisions.

Ms Reeves said: "This is not a green light for any type of housing. We will take an interventionist approach to make sure we have the right housing mix that our country needs and our people need.”

Decisions for major infrastructure projects will be made nationally rather than locally to stop important schemes getting tied up in red tape. The Chancellor said a new taskforce would fire up progress on stalled housing sites, including some 14,000 homes in Liverpool central docks, Worcester Parkway, Northstowe and Langley Sutton Coldfield."

After a review of boundaries?

What happens if reviews take place and boundaries don't change?

By *oubleswing2019Man 3 weeks ago

Colchester

"Not only are the numbers questionable, but the investment is too. Calling out for private sector cash to get their ambitions delivered is not really owning the problem, it is outsourcing it and it will come at a cost."

I really don't see the obsession with getting private companies to do this. There will ofc be some tax take by the HMRC for their construction. (Though a lot of that will be "mitigated" by company accountants.

I'd have sooner seen the government develop and own a national construction company. With their purchasing power they could have cornered a niche market in social housing and delivered the homes at a fraction of the cost. They could leave some crumbs for the "executive homes" with the private companies (who really don't want to bother with social housing any way as there is little profit in it).

By *usybee73Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

It's all bullshit, not enough workers to build ... wages go up through demand in construction

They say private industry is joining in, yet private industry won't, unless there's profit

All smoke and mirrors imho

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 3 weeks ago

Hastings

"It's all bullshit, not enough workers to build ... wages go up through demand in construction

They say private industry is joining in, yet private industry won't, unless there's profit

All smoke and mirrors imho"

Yer to build at that speed you would need a much bigger work force the country is all ready short of tradesmen.. Just not do able.

Would be better to start taxing the people for sitting on land and not building the homes that are needed. When the land is increasing in value.

By *usybee73Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

"It's all bullshit, not enough workers to build ... wages go up through demand in construction

Yer to build at that speed you would need a much bigger work force the country is all ready short of tradesmen.. Just not do able.

Would be better to start taxing the people for sitting on land and not building the homes that are needed. When the land is increasing in value."

Most don't realise the cost of materials went through the roof a few years ago due to hs2 ... now the same thing will happen again, think about it? If you were a cement or plant company, you would take advantage like any other private company

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 3 weeks ago

Hastings

Would be better to start taxing the people for sitting on land and not building the homes that are needed. When the land is increasing in value.

Most don't realise the cost of materials went through the roof a few years ago due to hs2 ... now the same thing will happen again, think about it? If you were a cement or plant company, you would take advantage like any other private company "

It will be more supply and demand if you can only make x and demand is X×2 then price will go up to run plants longer hours and to slow demand.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

All smoke and mirrors imho"

The onerous requirement for affordable housing units to be built by developers, CIL contributions and now BNG have slowed the numbers of planning applications, not just the application delays itself.

Will be interested to see the progress, it is certainly not impossible to achieve.

By *melie LALWoman 3 weeks ago

Peterborough

Need housing, national government needs to override local on major projects. Get the London sphere and film studio built. Growth kickstarted."

You don't have to be a labour supporter to recognise, or hope, that they come good on their promises.

These people who just moan for the sake of it, get on my tits

Terra Firma

"

These people who just moan for the sake of it, get on my tits "

I love this idiom, it is not used nearly enough

Peterborough

"

I love this idiom, it is not used nearly enough "

I just knew someone would comment

Terra Firma

"

I just knew someone would comment "

I’m still trying to workout if you are asking people who moan for the sake of it to get on your tits

Peterborough

"

I’m still trying to workout if you are asking people who moan for the sake of it to get on your tits "

Haha

I can play with them myself

By *hirleyMan 3 weeks ago

somewhere

Depends if labour are actually going to start properly taxing the non doms and asset owners like they said they would. It's the only way they're going to get the money to pay for what they say they want to do.

nearby

"Depends if labour are actually going to start properly taxing the non doms and asset owners like they said they would. It's the only way they're going to get the money to pay for what they say they want to do. "

The two flagship policies. £3.2bn to be reused ending non dom scheme, and £1.6bn private school

fee vat. Together will raise 0.4% of current £1.2trn annual treasury spending.

Jury out atm on where the rest will come from.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

"These people who just moan for the sake of it, get on my tits"

"I love this idiom, it is not used nearly enough"

"I just knew someone would comment"

"I’m still trying to workout if you are asking people who moan for the sake of it to get on your tits"

"Haha

I can play with them myself"

Hey! This is the Politics forum. Stop being sexy.

By *ostindreamsMan 3 weeks ago

London

"Depends if labour are actually going to start properly taxing the non doms and asset owners like they said they would. It's the only way they're going to get the money to pay for what they say they want to do. "

The non-dom tax rules were changed by Tories already and will come into effect next year. But UK would get nothing out of changing these laws

By *ggdrasil66Man 3 weeks ago

Saltdean

Labour haven’t done anything yet. They will be judged on what they do, when they have done it. But history will show us what they did in the past. Sure they talk about taxing those who are already super wealthy, but they have threatened to do that before. What they always ended up doing was taxing the working people, and leaving rich people alone. They have not been the party of the working class since the 1960’s. Even Harold Wilson was in it for himself, giving knighthoods to anyone who promised him money.

The Tories have been no good since they got rid of Maggie. Borris promised plenty, but delivered nothing. His ‘oven ready’ BREXIT was a sell out, and an opportunity was totally missed.

The LibDims sold out there own voter base when they entered into an alliance with the Tories, and voted in favour of student loans:

Only Reform UK are on the side of ordinary British people. They are building a movement ready for 2029. A revolution in British politics is coming. History will be the proof, but winning the future is our agenda. It’s in our hands.

Peterborough

"These people who just moan for the sake of it, get on my tits

I’m still trying to workout if you are asking people who moan for the sake of it to get on your tits

Haha

I can play with them myself

Hey! This is the Politics forum. Stop being sexy."

Sorry Sir

nearby

"Depends if labour are actually going to start properly taxing the non doms and asset owners like they said they would. It's the only way they're going to get the money to pay for what they say they want to do.

The non-dom tax rules were changed by Tories already and will come into effect next year. But UK would get nothing out of changing these laws"

Ending the non dom scheme is reported to make a £3.2bn annual treasury gain

Equivalent to ten days interest payments on the national debt

London

"Depends if labour are actually going to start properly taxing the non doms and asset owners like they said they would. It's the only way they're going to get the money to pay for what they say they want to do.

The non-dom tax rules were changed by Tories already and will come into effect next year. But UK would get nothing out of changing these laws

Equivalent to ten days interest payments on the national debt "

"Reported"

They wouldn't even get that £3.2bn.

I am personally affected by this change. I have money parked in India which I earned in India as backup and gives me an interest of 6%. The non-dom rule change forced me to pay tax in UK for money I have in India, money which I do not intend to bring to UK.

So what do I do now? I just changed my investments to long term investments which doesn't give me annual interest but only when I withdraw it. Hence I don't pay tax.

If a pleb like me can get around it, I am pretty sure rich people will have numerous ways around it.

The whole drama around non-dom tax "loophole" is left wing populism at its finest.

By *eroy1000Man 3 weeks ago

milton keynes

"Reported"

I am personally affected by this change. I have money parked in India which I earned in India as backup and gives me an interest of 6%. The non-dom rule change forced me to pay tax in UK for money I have in India, money which I do not intend to bring to UK.

So what do I do now? I just changed my investments to long term investments which doesn't give me annual interest but only when I withdraw it. Hence I don't pay tax.

If a pleb like me can get around it, I am pretty sure rich people will have numerous ways around it.

The whole drama around non-dom tax "loophole" is left wing populism at its finest."

The worry is if the government have already spent what they expect to gain from this change as it might be less than hoped. Maybe waiting to see the net gain first before spending it.

London

"Reported"

The whole drama around non-dom tax "loophole" is left wing populism at its finest.

The worry is if the government have already spent what they expect to gain from this change as it might be less than hoped. Maybe waiting to see the net gain first before spending it."

Labour seems to have mentioned this as a source of extra income before elections. I think the new rules only start applying from the next financial year. If they start spending more overestimating what they will get out of this change, they will lock themselves in a corner to increase taxes. Not sure how that will fly with the voters.

» Add a new message to this topic