FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > ID Cards

ID Cards

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *exy_Horny OP   Couple 3 weeks ago

Leigh

So Tony Blair has suggested them again, after his bid to introduce them was scrapped by the Conservative / Lib Dem coalition.

Labour have said that they are not an option.

Why not? Having to carry an ID card, which would be required for most day to day life, would make life much more difficult for those trying to fly under the radar.

The inconvenience and supposed loss of privacy for the rest of us is worth it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *deepdiveMan 3 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"So Tony Blair has suggested them again, after his bid to introduce them was scrapped by the Conservative / Lib Dem coalition.

Why not? Having to carry an ID card, which would be required for most day to day life, would make life much more difficult for those trying to fly under the radar.

The inconvenience and supposed loss of privacy for the rest of us is worth it."

Agreed

I carry one here (France) along with my credit cards. There is also an electronic version which I have on my smartphone in case I don't have my wallet.

Both are accepted (as is the electronic version of my driving licence which I also have on my phone).

No hardship - I don't understand why people are so against them on the UK!

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

There was no loss of privacy with an ID Card just as there isn’t with a Passport. Anyone who uses an Oyster Card, Credit Card, or Store Card loses more privacy daily.

Leigh

"There was no loss of privacy with an ID Card just as there isn’t with a Passport. Anyone who uses an Oyster Card, Credit Card, or Store Card loses more privacy daily."

That is why I used "supposed".

We are all tracked by our phones and electronic transactions anyway.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 weeks ago

Gilfach

We already almost all have driving licences and passports, and those few that don't can get a free Voter Authority Certificate to vote with. What purpose would an ID Card serve?

If one was introduced, it won't be free, so that's an extra cost on the poor for no benefit.

Do you have any black friends? Ask them whether they would be happy with the police having another yet another excuse to stop people that they are suspicious of.

Leigh

"We already almost all have driving licences and passports, and those few that don't can get a free Voter Authority Certificate to vote with. What purpose would an ID Card serve?

If one was introduced, it won't be free, so that's an extra cost on the poor for no benefit.

Do you have any black friends? Ask them whether they would be happy with the police having another yet another excuse to stop people that they are suspicious of."

ID cards: compulsory to carry; compulsory to produce to do many things (housing, medical, benefits,some purchases); have biometric data such as fingerprints included (we will already have to supply these to travel to the EU from the autumn, before anyone complains).

So life becomes much more difficult for those who try and fiddle the system.

Everyone can prove their identity if asked.

Police can access the database therefore check everyone's fingerprint against crime scene bot just ones who have been arrested before.

The key us that you would need to prove your identity to do things.

France / Birmingham

"

"

Free in France - you pay for a passport though (but most people won't have a passport unless travelling out with the EU).

So why wouldn't it be free (to the public) if introduced in the UK?

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man 3 weeks ago

BRIDPORT

"

Free in France - you pay for a passport though (but most people won't have a passport unless travelling out with the EU).

"

Because in the UK just about any excuse going is used to extract more money from the public.

Leigh

"

Because in the UK just about any excuse going is used to extract more money from the public. "

Should be free. The savings from people not being able to game the system should pay most of the cost.

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

This will disproportionately affect those from poorer backgrounds.

France / Birmingham

"This will disproportionately affect those from poorer backgrounds. "

Why?

Gilfach

"Should be free. The savings from people not being able to game the system should pay most of the cost."

You keep asserting this. What costs are currently being incurred by people not having ID?

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"This will disproportionately affect those from poorer backgrounds.

Why?"

Because those from poorer backgrounds won't be able to afford the ID, even if they are free.

At least, that's what we were told be the left on the voter ID.

Exact same thing here, I guarantee they'll argue otherwise on this one because its being proposed by Labour.

By *usybee73Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

And if you choose not to have one? ... think about it

By *entlemanFoxMan 3 weeks ago

North East / London

Compulsory ID cards fundamentally change the relationship between the individual and the state.

Once they are introduced you need the permission of the state to live.

By (user no longer on site) 3 weeks ago

I had to show ID in Argentina to pay for groceries (no alcohol or cigarettes). I kid you not.

By *resesse_MelioremCouple 3 weeks ago

Border of London

"This will disproportionately affect those from poorer backgrounds.

Why?

Because those from poorer backgrounds won't be able to afford the ID, even if they are free.

At least, that's what we were told be the left on the voter ID. "

Hahaha...

Very good

Leigh

"Should be free. The savings from people not being able to game the system should pay most of the cost.

You keep asserting this. What costs are currently being incurred by people not having ID?"

Too many people working under the radar in the cash economy, not paying their fair share of taxes.

"Compulsory ID cards fundamentally change the relationship between the individual and the state.

Once they are introduced you need the permission of the state to live. "

Exactly. In Argentina and Uruguay you have to give your social security number every time you make a transaction at the supermarket checkout.

You are also fined if you don't vote in elections.

Gilfach

"Should be free. The savings from people not being able to game the system should pay most of the cost."

"You keep asserting this. What costs are currently being incurred by people not having ID?"

"Too many people working under the radar in the cash economy, not paying their fair share of taxes."

How will ID cards prevent builders from doing cash-in-hand jobs, or market traders from not declaring their income, or any other form of 'cash economy' transaction?

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

It's just yet another monitoring tool to track us. Our liberties are gradually being eroded, our movements tracked and recorded everywhere we go. The irony is that Blair is proposing ID cards to control immigration - the very guy who flung open the floodgates in the first place!! So now I have to carry an ID card to cover his cock-ups!!

By *atEvolutionCouple 3 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

It was a stupid and idiotic thing to say:

1. People travelling on zodiacs don't tend to apply for an ID card before they jump on board.

2. They can't find many immigrants in the country right now - how does he give them an ID card? If they gave the Zodiac arrivals and ID card as they arrived, how does that actually help? 'Here Mr Policeman, here's my ID card to show you that . . . ' Well what actually?

3. It failed when he tried to do it - why hasn't he ever got over it?

And most importantly . . .

4. Labour has already rejected it.

Leigh

"It was a stupid and idiotic thing to say:

1. People travelling on zodiacs don't tend to apply for an ID card before they jump on board.

2. They can't find many immigrants in the country right now - how does he give them an ID card? If they gave the Zodiac arrivals and ID card as they arrived, how does that actually help? 'Here Mr Policeman, here's my ID card to show you that . . . ' Well what actually?

4. Labour has already rejected it."

That's not the point.

If you are here legally, and are a citizen, you get an ID card. This will be essential to live a "normal" life.

If you are here illegally you don't get an ID card, which makes life much more difficult.

If ID cards aren't the answer, what is? It is way too easy to disappear and live here without any form of ID. Maybe more enforcement of employment law etc. would help, but then some vocal groups with a hidden agenda bleat about discrimination.

Leigh

"Should be free. The savings from people not being able to game the system should pay most of the cost.

You keep asserting this. What costs are currently being incurred by people not having ID?

Too many people working under the radar in the cash economy, not paying their fair share of taxes.

How will ID cards prevent builders from doing cash-in-hand jobs, or market traders from not declaring their income, or any other form of 'cash economy' transaction?"

ID cards necessary for purchases, and get rid of cash so everything goes through the bank and is logged.

That's not the point.

If you are here legally, and are a citizen, you get an ID card. This will be essential to live a "normal" life.

If you are here illegally you don't get an ID card, which makes life much more difficult.

If ID cards aren't the answer, what is? It is way too easy to disappear and live here without any form of ID. Maybe more enforcement of employment law etc. would help, but then some vocal groups with a hidden agenda bleat about discrimination."

The real point is that:

**** Labour have already rejected it ****

By *enSiskoMan 3 weeks ago

Cestus 3

"So Tony Blair has suggested them again, after his bid to introduce them was scrapped by the Conservative / Lib Dem coalition.

No never.

Leigh

No never."

Why?

As others have posted, most people have some form of ID anyway. We are tracked by our card purchases, phones and even modern cars.

Leigh

That's not the point.

If ID cards aren't the answer, what is? It is way too easy to disappear and live here without any form of ID. Maybe more enforcement of employment law etc. would help, but then some vocal groups with a hidden agenda bleat about discrimination.

The real point is that:

**** Labour have already rejected it **** "

Labour and Conservatives both rejected it but I can't see why.

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

That's not the point.

The real point is that:

**** Labour have already rejected it ****

Labour and Conservatives both rejected it but I can't see why."

What problem are they fixing, it needs to be critical because there are many negatives to ID cards

By *erry bull1Man 3 weeks ago

doncaster

Labours in and Tony Blair raises his ugly warmongering head again

Simple answer:

Labour: They can't find enough to argue against infringement of civil liberties.

Conservatives/Lib Dem Coalition (2010): to reverse the substantial erosion of civil liberties under the Labour Government and roll back state intrusion.

Cestus 3

No never.

Why?

As others have posted, most people have some form of ID anyway. We are tracked by our card purchases, phones and even modern cars."

I use cash, I do not buy over the net, I do not use social media.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I have had my information taken off a companies server and placed on the dark web.

So I would never voluntary offer my info again.

Starmer has already committed to a 'quiet, calm government that lets people get on with their lives with less state intrusion'

It would hardly be that if he now said:

'Okay. So. Here comes the ID card Scheme'

By *entlemanFoxMan 3 weeks ago

North East / London

"...

If you are here legally, and are a citizen, you get an ID card. This will be essential to live a "normal"

Labour and Conservatives both rejected it but I can't see why."

It goes to fundamental freedom as set out in the extract from the previous poster.

The freedom that we fought the Second World War for is that you don’t have to produce your ‘papers’ to any Gestapo man or little Napoleon as you go about your daily life.

That is why if the police want to see your driving licence you get three days to produce it at a police station of your choice.

France / Birmingham

"...

If you are here legally, and are a citizen, you get an ID card. This will be essential to live a "normal"

Labour and Conservatives both rejected it but I can't see why.

It goes to fundamental freedom as set out in the extract from the previous poster.

The freedom that we fought the Second World War for is that you don’t have to produce your ‘papers’ to any Gestapo man or little Napoleon as you go about your daily life.

That is why if the police want to see your driving licence you get three days to produce it at a police station of your choice.

"

"We will fight on the beaches..."

Breed British bulldogs and get the Union Jack tattooed on our chests.

No wonder we left the EU!

"...

"We will fight on the beaches..."

Breed British bulldogs and get the Union Jack tattooed on our chests.

No wonder we left the EU!

"

And yet the British have never done any of those things. Well, excepting leaving the EU.

Gilfach

"Too many people working under the radar in the cash economy, not paying their fair share of taxes."

"How will ID cards prevent builders from doing cash-in-hand jobs, or market traders from not declaring their income, or any other form of 'cash economy' transaction?"

"ID cards necessary for purchases, and get rid of cash so everything goes through the bank and is logged."

Ah, right. So it's not the ID cards that solve the problem, it's a massive change to our way of life that solves the problem, and ID cards are needed for that change.

Do I want to have to produce ID to buy food, or enter a pub, or subscribe to a swingers group? No, thanks. I shall politely turn down your request.

" I shall politely turn down your request."

I wouldn't be that polite about it, lol.

France / Birmingham

"Too many people working under the radar in the cash economy, not paying their fair share of taxes.

How will ID cards prevent builders from doing cash-in-hand jobs, or market traders from not declaring their income, or any other form of 'cash economy' transaction?

ID cards necessary for purchases, and get rid of cash so everything goes through the bank and is logged.

Ah, right. So it's not the ID cards that solve the problem, it's a massive change to our way of life that solves the problem, and ID cards are needed for that change.

Do I want to have to produce ID to buy food, or enter a pub, or subscribe to a swingers group? No, thanks. I shall politely turn down your request."

What pish

An ID card is an ID card

Not a credit card or a ball and chain.

Get a grip

Leigh

No never.

Why?

As others have posted, most people have some form of ID anyway. We are tracked by our card purchases, phones and even modern cars.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, I have had my information taken off a companies server and placed on the dark web.

So I would never voluntary offer my info again."

How do you manage that?

Getting cash is really hard work, I have £20 in my wallet for emergencies but it stays there for years.

Grocery shopping is done in person because it is cheaper (Lidl don't do delivery).

Everything else, why bother. Just press a button and the stuff turns up same day or next day. It is over a year since I went into town to do shopping, usually I only go every few years.

Cestus 3

No never.

Why?

How do you manage that?

Getting cash is really hard work, I have £20 in my wallet for emergencies but it stays there for years.

Grocery shopping is done in person because it is cheaper (Lidl don't do delivery).

Everything else, why bother. Just press a button and the stuff turns up same day or next day. It is over a year since I went into town to do shopping, usually I only go every few years."

How many companies hold information about you, now if you have a number in mind, you will have to add 10 to that original number because their are companies you most likely have never heard of, (they are called data brokers or vendors) so when you use your credit card that information is sold to these data brokers who sell it to advertising companies who can send you an ad' for things they think you may like, or anyone else linked to you through your data.

Cash maybe hard work for you, but if one changes their habits like using debit cards, it is hard to return to cash.

I just didn't change to debit cards I always use cash.

I realise that I am being slowly forced to use debit cards, less cash machines, less bank branches, promotion of using no cash, cash back if you buy something with your card. Apple Pay etc.

But they haven't made it so hard yet.

Using cash I mean

Gilfach

"How will ID cards prevent builders from doing cash-in-hand jobs, or market traders from not declaring their income, or any other form of 'cash economy' transaction?"

"ID cards necessary for purchases, and get rid of cash so everything goes through the bank and is logged."

"Ah, right. So it's not the ID cards that solve the problem, it's a massive change to our way of life that solves the problem, and ID cards are needed for that change.

Do I want to have to produce ID to buy food, or enter a pub, or subscribe to a swingers group? No, thanks. I shall politely turn down your request."

"What pish

An ID card is an ID card

Not a credit card or a ball and chain.

Get a grip"

You should read more carefully.

I was replying to the bloke above who is proposing that cash should be abolished, every monetary transaction should be made via bank transfer, and that an ID card must be shown for all purchases.

Quite why he thinks that an ID card is necessary if we can only pay through our authorised bank accounts isn't yet clear.

By *oo hotCouple 3 weeks ago

North West

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the ID card idea when Tony Blair first suggested it and there is nothing wrong with the idea now.

Cestus 3

They will not need ID cards, not when facial recognition comes in to effect.

By *ortySwitchMan 3 weeks ago

london

Might as well advocate for electornic taggin of every single person in the UK. Force everyone to be implanted with a tracking chip conected to the mobile networks that reports your exact location back to the government..... for security purposes ofcourse. Think of all the benefits too. No one wold ever be lost. No one would be where they shouldn't be. If you need help, the emergency services would be able to find you. Give the damn things bluetooth and NFC, and you would never need a wallet, or an id card. Every second of your life would be reported back to the government and G4S / Google / Experian. Anyone without one, would be arrested and sent to prison... and injected with a tracking chip. No one would have any freedom. No one would have any personal agency. no one would have to decide anythign for them selfs. No one could ever say no. No one could ever protest, or have privacy. A ruler with Absolute authority. and morons like yourself will happiuly cheer ane clap the destruction of society and democracy.

No one should be forced to prove who they are. No one should be forced to surrender their details to the government, who share it with Data traders, and seciruty agencies (and leek it to the media in some cases). This would be the end of freedom. And dont forget, all that ID would be mean a photograph. Biometrics stored, and shared with whoever. The police would track you on every camera.

People liek you are the reason we are living in a distopia, and your making it worse.

london

"

No hardship - I don't understand why people are so against them on the UK!"

Freedom! Historically we have never had to prove who we are. I am, whoever I say I am. And that was good enough. Remember, we once had the worlds biggest empire without ID cards. They are simpy another way for the ruling class to have authority over us. And making it illegal to not have one, or not carry one with you at all times is fascist.

Gilfach

"There was absolutely nothing wrong with the ID card idea when Tony Blair first suggested it and there is nothing wrong with the idea now."

Apart from the fact that the scheme will cost money to implement, and will bring no benefits.

london

"There was no loss of privacy with an ID Card just as there isn’t with a Passport. Anyone who uses an Oyster Card, Credit Card, or Store Card loses more privacy daily."

completely wrong.

The oyster card doesn't hold your name or address, or your biometrics. IT is ot shared with data trading companies such as Experian and Equifax.

The electoral commision are now considering using the Passport database, Tax database (as well as other sources) to automatically add EVERYONE to the electoral roll.. and the public reccord, with no way to opt out. EVERYONES information would be made public. Wanting to be removed form the pubic register would require a great deal of effort and be left up to the loal councils to administer. The police also now use all these databases to track and surveill everyone. If you have apassport, or photo ID, then you are now under watch by the pigs. Not a criminal? doesn't matter. You are still being tracked and recorded.

There are only three reasons for forcing everyone to carry ID.

1. Money.

Experian, equifax, Banks, financial institusions will all benefit from this.

2. Total Authorority and control.

GOvernments, security agencies will have a perfect record of everythign everyone does, and when they do it. Everyoneslives will be ruled through the collection of data and by giving Governments th abiltuy toi access bank account when they want, having foriegn data traders control our lives by deciding how muvh we pay, and what our "score" is.

3. Money.

Make no mistake, this all about controll and money, and nothing to do with democracy, wuite the opposite. Br removing the freedom to choose, the freedom to reuse, the rulling class have become totalarian.

london

"

Too many people working under the radar in the cash economy, not paying their fair share of taxes."

Like Amazon who pay a tax rate between 2% and 4%. Cafe Nero, starbucks etc all pay no or nearly no tax. Vodafone, Apple, Google, Microsoft, HSBC, Facebook etc pay next to no tax and shift profits offshore. The rich, and uper classes do the same. HSBc by the way have been found guilty of commiting some of the biggest fruad on earth, yet no one went to jail and no one was prosecuted. Yet it you or I dont declare the £20 note we find on the stree, we go to jail.

As we have trickle down ecconomics, we should equally have trickle down justice! Start at the top, and arrest our way down.

"

Like Amazon who pay a tax rate between 2% and 4%. Cafe Nero, starbucks etc all pay no or nearly no tax. Vodafone, Apple, Google, Microsoft, HSBC, Facebook etc pay next to no tax and shift profits offshore. The rich, and uper classes do the same. HSBc by the way have been found guilty of commiting some of the biggest fruad on earth, yet no one went to jail and no one was prosecuted. Yet it you or I dont declare the £20 note we find on the stree, we go to jail.

As we have trickle down ecconomics, we should equally have trickle down justice! Start at the top, and arrest our way down. "

100%

France / Birmingham

All those people who are citing that ID cards will be used to leak their personal information should question why they joined a swingers site, post photos, log on via a computer or phone where their IP address can be traced (even if they use a VPN, the data is held on that VPN).

We live in a World where we can be followed everywhere electronically if someone really wants to do so.

Fab Swingers is no different

If you worry about your personal data being compromised, shared or abused - get off this site!

All this bullshit about losing freedom is simply that.

BULLSHIT

You lost it a long time ago - wake up to reality.

london

"All those people who are citing that ID cards will be used to leak their personal information should question why they joined a swingers site, post photos, log on via a computer or phone where their IP address can be traced (even if they use a VPN, the data is held on that VPN).

We live in a World where we can be followed everywhere electronically if someone really wants to do so.

If you worry about your personal data being compromised, shared or abused - get off this site!

BULLSHIT

You lost it a long time ago - wake up to reality."

Fabswingers do not have my facial biometrics. They do not have my address, or phone number. They do not have any of my real details. I use a mixture of VPN's, Virtual machiens, the Tor web browser, disposable emails etc. The data from this site i not shared with the UK Police (directly) and it is given by choice.

Forcing everyone to surrender their selvs to the government to share with data traders and be placed under constant surveillence is entirely different. Fabswingers does not control my life. Experian at all do. Forcing people to have ID's, being added the to the electorial role and pubic register agasint their will is the end of democracy and freedom. We shoudl eb fighting agasint it. It is a matter of principle, and I wish more people uderstood this.

France / Birmingham

"All those people who are citing that ID cards will be used to leak their personal information should question why they joined a swingers site, post photos, log on via a computer or phone where their IP address can be traced (even if they use a VPN, the data is held on that VPN).

BULLSHIT

Fabswingers do not have my facial biometrics. They do not have my address, or phone number. They do not have any of my real details. I use a mixture of VPN's, Virtual machiens, the Tor web browser, disposable emails etc. The data from this site i not shared with the UK Police (directly) and it is given by choice.

Forcing everyone to surrender their selvs to the government to share with data traders and be placed under constant surveillence is entirely different. Fabswingers does not control my life. Experian at all do. Forcing people to have ID's, being added the to the electorial role and pubic register agasint their will is the end of democracy and freedom. We shoudl eb fighting agasint it. It is a matter of principle, and I wish more people uderstood this. "

I don't believe a word of what you say!

Cestus 3

BULLSHIT

Forcing everyone to surrender their selvs to the government to share with data traders and be placed under constant surveillence is entirely different. Fabswingers does not control my life. Experian at all do. Forcing people to have ID's, being added the to the electorial role and pubic register agasint their will is the end of democracy and freedom. We shoudl eb fighting agasint it. It is a matter of principle, and I wish more people uderstood this. "

I understand, that's why it is a no from me.

I find it stupefying that people are willing give away there liberties, for nothing, just because some unelected M.P who took us in to an illegal war, has a dodgy think tank funded by who knows, suggests it would be a good idea, since when has trust in Tony Blair recovered.

Cestus 3

BULLSHIT

Forcing everyone to surrender their selvs to the government to share with data traders and be placed under constant surveillence is entirely different. Fabswingers does not control my life. Experian at all do. Forcing people to have ID's, being added the to the electorial role and pubic register agasint their will is the end of democracy and freedom. We shoudl eb fighting agasint it. It is a matter of principle, and I wish more people uderstood this.

I don't believe a word of what you say!"

I would go to wikipedia and search data broker

Cestus 3

A United States Senate Committee in 2013 published A Review of the Data Broker Industry: Collection, Use, and Sale of Consumer Data for Marketing Purposes.

They found;

Data brokers collect a huge volume of detailed information on hundreds of millions of consumers.

Data brokers sell products that identify financially vulnerable consumers.

Data broker products provide information about consumer offline behavior to tailor online outreach by marketers.

Data brokers operate behind a veil of secrecy.

I once emailed Facebook asking if I could get 15 pounds a month for the data they sell regarding myself.

To my surprise I received a reply stating that they had looked into it but would be to costly to implement.

I asked for my data to be sent to me and left all social media.

london

"

I don't believe a word of what you say!"

I dont care. However, I do wonder *why* you claim not believe anything I said. Was it the part of about using a vpn and a tov browser? Not a difficult thing to believe.

Or is it the part about all your information being given to data traders who use it to control your life? If so, i'm not sure why you would refuse to believe that, althouh it would certainly explain why you think ID cards would be a good idea. You clearly dont accept reality.

Leigh

So, for the majority of us, the government has facial data for our passport and driving licence. We will also need to give biometric data to travel to Europe in the Autumn. I believe those who have been to the USA will already have done so.

We are all tracked by our electronic footprint, payment transactions, phone, car etc.

So for the average law abiding citizen who lives life without obsessing about security an ID card makes no difference.

For those trying to avoid detection, or those who are here illegally, it makes life harder.

So why not?

Gilfach

"Fabswingers do not have my facial biometrics..."

Yes they do. You have to give them a face pic to get approved.

Cestus 3

"Fabswingers do not have my facial biometrics...

Yes they do. You have to give them a face pic to get approved."

This is off Fab concerning photo verification;

------

Q. I'm worried about my privacy

Verification photos are 100% private, only Admin sees. You don't need to show your face or be identifiable: Full length nude photo is OK if not showing face.

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

No you don’t

Terra Firma

"So, for the majority of us, the government has facial data for our passport and driving licence. We will also need to give biometric data to travel to Europe in the Autumn. I believe those who have been to the USA will already have done so.

We are all tracked by our electronic footprint, payment transactions, phone, car etc.

So for the average law abiding citizen who lives life without obsessing about security an ID card makes no difference.

For those trying to avoid detection, or those who are here illegally, it makes life harder.

So why not?"

There is a huge amount of mistrust when it comes to ID and how it is used.

I think much of the mistrust comes from social control worries, and China's social credit score adds fuel to the fire.

Every citizen has a score, based on credit worthiness and criminal record. The score can be used to prevent a person from travelling or taking a loan. This type of interference is not welcomed by a broad section of people, not the usual left or right, which makes it extremely difficult to administer.

One last issue that has people concerned is identity theft, it has been mentioned already in posts, but an ID card in the wrong hands could prove to be very costly, depending on the information it stores.

Cestus 3

"So, for the majority of us, the government has facial data for our passport and driving licence. We will also need to give biometric data to travel to Europe in the Autumn. I believe those who have been to the USA will already have done so.

So why not?

I think much of the mistrust comes from social control worries, and China's social credit score adds fuel to the fire.

Every citizen has a score, based on credit worthiness and criminal record. The score can be used to prevent a person from travelling or taking a loan. This type of interference is not welcomed by a broad section of people, not the usual left or right, which makes it extremely difficult to administer.

One last issue that has people concerned is identity theft, it has been mentioned already in posts, but an ID card in the wrong hands could prove to be very costly, depending on the information it stores."

Do not forget the hackers.

Example is the NHS has had several cyber attacks, then when they do not pay the ransom demanded the hackers release all the information on to the dark web.

By *oo hotCouple 3 weeks ago

North West

"

No hardship - I don't understand why people are so against them on the UK!

Freedom! Historically we have never had to prove who we are. I am, whoever I say I am. And that was good enough. Remember, we once had the worlds biggest empire without ID cards. They are simpy another way for the ruling class to have authority over us. And making it illegal to not have one, or not carry one with you at all times is fascist. "

Google, Apple and Amazon know more about you than your government ever will. And you give up your information to them willingly on a day to day basis.

Britain is a surveillance society. We have more traffic, CCTV and face recognition cameras per capita than any other country other than China.

You are deluded if you think that an ID card will somehow limit your freedom when in fact by legitimately holding one, it would enhance your freedoms.

By *I TwoCouple 3 weeks ago

all around

So why not?

One last issue that has people concerned is identity theft, it has been mentioned already in posts, but an ID card in the wrong hands could prove to be very costly, depending on the information it stores."

Everyone already has a credit score, and everyone with a driving license or passport or even a bus pass has an ID card that enables identity theft

By *usybee73Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

So why not?

One last issue that has people concerned is identity theft, it has been mentioned already in posts, but an ID card in the wrong hands could prove to be very costly, depending on the information it stores.

Everyone already has a credit score, and everyone with a driving license or passport or even a bus pass has an ID card that enables identity theft"

Quite a few working poor don't have a credit score

And the question remains, if a person doesn't want an id card then what? ...

london

No, i didnt. I have never provided a face pic on here.

also, those wantign to show their faces on here do so by choice. Id cards and forced voting would NOT be a choice. Ther eis a clear difference.

london

"

Google, Apple and Amazon know more about you than your government ever will. And you give up your information to them willingly on a day to day basis.

Britain is a surveillance society. We have more traffic, CCTV and face recognition cameras per capita than any other country other than China.

You are deluded if you think that an ID card will somehow limit your freedom when in fact by legitimately holding one, it would enhance your freedoms."

So your aying we should just not bother? not try? We hould jsut accept we are controlled and owned and do nothing about it? See, that right there is the problem. People like yourself who claim...

.."well, google already has most of my data, so why not give them everything?"

We should NOt be giving these companies any data.

And for the reccord, I do not use any google service, I have never used amazon, and despite owning a macbook air, I have never had an icloud account, and use certain firewall software to block apple services. So, in this case, google, aplel amazon dont hold information about me. Thankfully.

Also, being forced to carry an ID card, being forced to surrender your data, being forced to prve who you are at all times s NOT enhancing freedom. Quie the opposite.

By *ermbiMan 3 weeks ago

Ballyshannon

"It's just yet another monitoring tool to track us. Our liberties are gradually being eroded, our movements tracked and recorded everywhere we go. The irony is that Blair is proposing ID cards to control immigration - the very guy who flung open the floodgates in the first place!! So now I have to carry an ID card to cover his cock-ups!!"

You are being tracked every day so an ID card is not going to provide much more tracking to what is already there. CCTV, census data, bank and credit card transactions, car and house insurance, medical data, motorway cameras and tolls. All being monitored 24/7

By *ip2Man 3 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

I think everyone should be expected to register their address when they are living somewhere for more than 3 months.

It's normal in Luxembourg. In the city hall there are two signs. One says, "Registration EU nationals". The other says, "Registration non-EU nationals". I've seen it.

In Sweden everyone gets a citizen number that is theirs for life. They don't need a census anymore. It's all done on the fly now.

Once you've got a citizen number you can apply for an ID card. You don't have to but a lot of people do because it's convenient.

It's not Big Brother. It's just ordinary public administration.

I once supported 'No to ID - say no to the database state'. I'm not worried about that anymore.

Gilfach

"You are deluded if you think that an ID card will somehow limit your freedom when in fact by legitimately holding one, it would enhance your freedoms."

How would an ID card enhance my freedom?

Gilfach

"Fabswingers do not have my facial biometrics..."

"Yes they do. You have to give them a face pic to get approved."

"No, i didnt. I have never provided a face pic on here."

I've recently become aware of the "full body pic" option.

"also, those wantign to show their faces on here do so by choice. Id cards and forced voting would NOT be a choice. Ther eis a clear difference. "

Agreed.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Central

Not needed unless the state is going to be resourced to make blanket checks. The money for that would be far better invested elsewhere

By *itonthesideWoman 3 weeks ago

Glasgow

No never.

Why?

How do you manage that?

Everything else, why bother. Just press a button and the stuff turns up same day or next day. It is over a year since I went into town to do shopping, usually I only go every few years.

How many companies hold information about you, now if you have a number in mind, you will have to add 10 to that original number because their are companies you most likely have never heard of, (they are called data brokers or vendors) so when you use your credit card that information is sold to these data brokers who sell it to advertising companies who can send you an ad' for things they think you may like, or anyone else linked to you through your data.

Cash maybe hard work for you, but if one changes their habits like using debit cards, it is hard to return to cash.

I realise that I am being slowly forced to use debit cards, less cash machines, less bank branches, promotion of using no cash, cash back if you buy something with your card. Apple Pay etc.

Using cash I mean "

Ive got to ask why do you care if your purchase history sits with a data broker. GDPR laws mean they don’t actually have *your* data, they have anonymised *big data*.

For example tesco are not selling on what Jean from high street branch puts in her basket weekly when she swipes her club card because 1. Its illegal and 2. Honestly nobody gives a sh*t.

They are selling what the purchasing patterns or the region or promotions are on a much larger scale.

Terra Firma

No never.

Why?

How do you manage that?

Using cash I mean

Ive got to ask why do you care if your purchase history sits with a data broker. GDPR laws mean they don’t actually have *your* data, they have anonymised *big data*.

For example tesco are not selling on what Jean from high street branch puts in her basket weekly when she swipes her club card because 1. Its illegal and 2. Honestly nobody gives a sh*t.

They are selling what the purchasing patterns or the region or promotions are on a much larger scale. "

scammers and cold callers have a lot to answer for.

By *ust RachelTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Horsham

I had an ID card for work, I had to have a 5 years worth of security checks before I could get the thing

I can't see it as a problem, as most of us already have a drivers licence.

Gilfach

"I had an ID card for work, I had to have a 5 years worth of security checks before I could get the thing

I can't see it as a problem, as most of us already have a drivers licence."

I have an ID card for work. I can see why my employer requires it, and I don't have a problem carrying it.

But a national ID card would cost me money (if not directly, then through taxation), and it would bring me no benefit. Why bother?

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple 3 weeks ago

Newcastle under Lyme

There is no privacy anymore. You think those adverts you see are purely on purchase and browsing history? Every modern smart phone is listening to you all the time.

Cestus 3

No never.

Why?

How do you manage that?

Using cash I mean

They are selling what the purchasing patterns or the region or promotions are on a much larger scale. "

When you or someone you know gets hacked, you will realise just how important your digital I.D is, not to you but the hacker.

So I keep my digital ID and on line presence to a minimum, because hackers give a shit about my ID and the bigger my presence on line is, the easier it is to be me, or to work against me.

My information is not stored on several data bases by several different companies, so I do not worry if those companies get hacked.

So next time you think who gives a sh1t, just consider the hackers who know the value of ID.

One more thing phone theft is on the rise why cause one phone can be worth hundreds of thousands, by your banking details if you pay with your phone, and by the information your phone holds about you this information is sold over the dark web.

You do you, and I will do me.

By *ggdrasil66Man 3 weeks ago

Saltdean

This morbid fear of a national ID card is irrational, unless, of course, you have something to hide…

By *itonthesideWoman 3 weeks ago

Glasgow

No never.

Why?

How do you manage that?

Using cash I mean

They are selling what the purchasing patterns or the region or promotions are on a much larger scale.

When you or someone you know gets hacked, you will realise just how important your digital I.D is, not to you but the hacker.

So I keep my digital ID and on line presence to a minimum, because hackers give a shit about my ID and the bigger my presence on line is, the easier it is to be me, or to work against me.

My information is not stored on several data bases by several different companies, so I do not worry if those companies get hacked.

So next time you think who gives a sh1t, just consider the hackers who know the value of ID.

One more thing phone theft is on the rise why cause one phone can be worth hundreds of thousands, by your banking details if you pay with your phone, and by the information your phone holds about you this information is sold over the dark web.

You do you, and I will do me."

Sometimes when we leave the house bad things can happen. Only agoraphobics let it impact their life to the point they stop going out.

Honestly what you describe sounds like the online equivalent. Irrational fear and catastrophising something that while possible is not all that likely to happen and not the end of the world when it does.

By *hrill CollinsMan 3 weeks ago

The Outer Rim

[Removed by poster at 12/07/24 09:11:58]

The Outer Rim

in the cold war years, the notion of no requirement to mandatorily carry id cards was used as some kind of wierd proof that the west was free ....

Terra Firma

No never.

Why?

How do you manage that?

Using cash I mean

You do you, and I will do me.

Sometimes when we leave the house bad things can happen. Only agoraphobics let it impact their life to the point they stop going out.

Honestly what you describe sounds like the online equivalent. Irrational fear and catastrophising something that while possible is not all that likely to happen and not the end of the world when it does. "

There are a number of issues this person is highlighting that can be managed and others that can't after the event.

Knowing what is a risk and what isn't a risk and how to deal with issues would be a valuable to people such as the poster.

As an example, sign in with apple or google account to authenticate to websites is a good idea for the security that provides and you are basically not sharing passwords with 3rd parties. However people are not always aware of this free to use tool and end up with many usernames and passwords that become problematic to them.

People have long memories and when things have gone wrong they tend to hold on to that.

The Outer Rim

the government can't get a handle on fake documents etc. as it is and the more we rely on tech the easier it appears to be to scam ..... what use will another piece of id make? it'll just be another costly white elephant

» Add a new message to this topic