FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Farage calling out cost of uk climate change

Farage calling out cost of uk climate change

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *AFKA Hovis OP   Man 5 days ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Farage calling out cost of uk climate change

https://x.com/avonandsomerrob/status/1807687079918256358?s=48&t=riGNlrfX3reAm-93J2ZU8w

To avoid tangents on threads.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I scribbled a few things down.

UK is more expensive than Europe.

I believe this is true albeit maybe not on a purchasing parity basis

However Germany and Italy are above us. Which then makes pointing at Germany strategy (opening a new coal mine) an interesting choice.

Electric cars are more expensive on a long journey.

I'm guessing is more because of the cost of fast charging than speed and efficiency.

So that may be true, however unless you are always doing long journeys and always needing fast charging, it's probably not true at an overall level.

Net zero makes us poorer.

I don't know where he gets that from. I've seen him use a reports number on costs on the last but ignore the same reports benefits and net position. So without a source it's one I take with a pinch of salt.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 5 days ago

golden fields

Farage has a long history of climate science denial.

Reform and Farage get funding from, for example, Fittriani Hay, wife of James Hay senior exec at BP.

Farage only ever mentions the short term impact of transitioning away from fossil fuels. In the long term it's much better for the UK economy.

The cost is a distraction, if we fail to combat climate change, we'll have much bigger problems.

By *otMe66Man 5 days ago

Terra Firma

I thought an electric car was more efficient on a longer journey, if it works out they are not that is not good!

The other consideration with electric cars is they take a lot of energy to build and the lifespan is so much shorter that I believe they are more polluting than ICE

By (user no longer on site) 5 days ago

"Farage has a long history of climate science denial.

Reform and Farage get funding from, for example, Fittriani Hay, wife of James Hay senior exec at BP.

Farage only ever mentions the short term impact of transitioning away from fossil fuels. In the long term it's much better for the UK economy.

The cost is a distraction, if we fail to combat climate change, we'll have much bigger problems. "

You mean you’d rather not get bogged down in the detail because if we did nobody would bother doing it, so let’s just speak in sweeping generalisations and tell everyone that there isn’t any choice no matter what the cost.

To be fair to you that’s what our hapless MP’s have done.

golden fields

The cost is a distraction, if we fail to combat climate change, we'll have much bigger problems.

You mean you’d rather not get bogged down in the detail because if we did nobody would bother doing it, so let’s just speak in sweeping generalisations and tell everyone that there isn’t any choice no matter what the cost.

To be fair to you that’s what our hapless MP’s have done. "

Nope.

Nope."

Perhaps you could contribute to the debate by letting us know how you are getting on with your heat pump and EV.

golden fields

Nope.

Perhaps you could contribute to the debate by letting us know how you are getting on with your heat pump and EV."

This is an excellent example of the poor quality of debate on the side of: not doing anything about climate change to ensure the continuation of profits for the fossil fuels industry.

Nope.

Perhaps you could contribute to the debate by letting us know how you are getting on with your heat pump and EV.

This is an excellent example of the poor quality of debate on the side of: not doing anything about climate change to ensure the continuation of profits for the fossil fuels industry. "

Not at all it’s a practical question.

Either you aren’t committed to your cause, or there is some other reason why you haven’t purchased a heat pump or an EV. Those reasons are likely to be shared by significant portions of the population.

I mean I haven’t bought an EV or a heat pump because they are shit. That’s my excuse.

But you believe in this stuff, or so you say.

golden fields

Nope.

This is an excellent example of the poor quality of debate on the side of: not doing anything about climate change to ensure the continuation of profits for the fossil fuels industry.

Not at all it’s a practical question."

No it's a distraction and pointless question. The two items you picked are arbitrary amongst the 100s of things that people can do to reduce their impact.

"

Either you aren’t committed to your cause, or there is some other reason why you haven’t purchased a heat pump or an EV.

"

The key here to answer your distraction is "other reason".

"

Those reasons are likely to be shared by significant portions of the population.

"

Correct, and this in no way impacts climate science, and does not negate the need to take action

"

I mean I haven’t bought an EV or a heat pump because they are shit. That’s my excuse.

"

I have never said "I believe in this stuff".

As mentioned, these two arbitrary examples are a red herring and don't have any bearing on the need to take action to combat climate change.

Nope.

No it's a distraction and pointless question. The two items you picked are arbitrary amongst the 100s of things that people can do to reduce their impact.

Either you aren’t committed to your cause, or there is some other reason why you haven’t purchased a heat pump or an EV.

Those reasons are likely to be shared by significant portions of the population.

Correct, and this in no way impacts climate science, and does not negate the need to take action

As mentioned, these two arbitrary examples are a red herring and don't have any bearing on the need to take action to combat climate change."

So what have you done personally to combat climate change?

By *hawn ScottMan 5 days ago

london Brixton

Just watched a TV interview he done on Sunday and he said schools should not be integrated and there should be schools just for white British people.

The interviewers jaw dropped!

golden fields

Nope.

As mentioned, these two arbitrary examples are a red herring and don't have any bearing on the need to take action to combat climate change.

So what have you done personally to combat climate change?"

Before I answer. If I say "fuck all", does that somehow prove that climate science isn't real, or does it somehow negate the need to tackle climate change?

If I could get some clarity on why you're asking this seemingly irrelevant question, it will help.

Nope.

Before I answer. If I say "fuck all", does that somehow prove that climate science isn't real, or does it somehow negate the need to tackle climate change?

If I could get some clarity on why you're asking this seemingly irrelevant question, it will help."

To ascertain whether you are just another Green hypocrite like the Green Party’s leader and whether your opinions should be taken seriously.

I have asked you before what steps you personally have taken to combat climate change and you have never come up with anything.

Just continuing to repeat “it’s the science” and “we [ie everyone else but not me] must do something” doesn’t really advance anything.

The key issue with Net Zero of course is whether it is a practical policy to pursue. If its key proponents can’t be arsed to do anything about it then it doesn’t really suggest that the rest of us should bother.

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan 5 days ago

"Just watched a TV interview he done on Sunday and he said schools should not be integrated and there should be schools just for white British people.

"

What did he say that on ? Have you got a link for it ?

By *hawn ScottMan 5 days ago

london Brixton

"Just watched a TV interview he done on Sunday and he said schools should not be integrated and there should be schools just for white British people.

It's on YouTube you can't post links here???

What did he say that on ? Have you got a link for it ?"

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan 5 days ago

According to the Guardian India has six hundred coal power plants and China has 1,142

I don't see how going net zero by 2050 will make that much of a impact apart from in our pocket

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 5 days ago

nearby

On vehicle emissions he’s right too. It’s a total con unless electric vehicles can roll without tyres

https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/pollution-tyre-wear-worse-exhaust-emissions

By *astandFeistyCouple 5 days ago

Bournemouth

What did he say that on ? Have you got a link for it ?"

YouTube is allowed

nearby

"According to the Guardian India has six hundred coal power plants and China has 1,142

I don't see how going net zero by 2050 will make that much of a impact apart from in our pocket "

25% increase in global population/2bn more people by 2080. (United Nations)

The majority borne into emerging counties aspiring to western living standards.

nearby

YouTube is allowed"

Was shown a school exercise book by a parent the project entitled ‘ what it’s like to grow up as a Muslim in Britain’.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"On vehicle emissions he’s right too. It’s a total con unless electric vehicles can roll without tyres

https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/pollution-tyre-wear-worse-exhaust-emissions"

ban SUVs too. Unless they can roll without tyres.

And cheap tyres.

(It is an interesting discussion about what needs to be looked at, how we compare, and what gets legislated for)

golden fields

Nope.

If I could get some clarity on why you're asking this seemingly irrelevant question, it will help.

To ascertain whether you are just another Green hypocrite like the Green Party’s leader and whether your opinions should be taken seriously."

Ah you're still confused about the heat pump quote thing. Fair play to you.

No, don't take my opinions seriously. You should take climate science seriously.

"

I have asked you before what steps you personally have taken to combat climate change and you have never come up with anything.

"

It's a pointless and irrelevant question, no answer I can give will in any way effect climate science and our need to tackle it.

"

Just continuing to repeat “it’s the science” and “we [ie everyone else but not me] must do something” doesn’t really advance anything.

"

No one is saying this. Maybe if you spent as much time attacking people who have some understanding of the topic, actually learning about the topic, you'd be less confused and angry.

"

The key issue with Net Zero of course is whether it is a practical policy to pursue. If its key proponents can’t be arsed to do anything about it then it doesn’t really suggest that the rest of us should bother."

It's very very easy to convince some people that we should prioritise oil company profits over doing something about climate change. What a world we live in.

golden fields

"According to the Guardian India has six hundred coal power plants and China has 1,142

I don't see how going net zero by 2050 will make that much of a impact apart from in our pocket "

It will put more cash in our pockets long term and we produce nearly as much CO2 as china per head of population.

Nope.

To ascertain whether you are just another Green hypocrite like the Green Party’s leader and whether your opinions should be taken seriously.

No, don't take my opinions seriously. You should take climate science seriously.

It's a pointless and irrelevant question, no answer I can give will in any way effect climate science and our need to tackle it.

No one is saying this. Maybe if you spent as much time attacking people who have some understanding of the topic, actually learning about the topic, you'd be less confused and angry.

The key issue with Net Zero of course is whether it is a practical policy to pursue. If its key proponents can’t be arsed to do anything about it then it doesn’t really suggest that the rest of us should bother.

It's very very easy to convince some people that we should prioritise oil company profits over doing something about climate change. What a world we live in."

So basically you haven’t done anything.

No wonder the Greens have crashed and burned across the EU. I’m guessing you haven’t bothered trying to understand why that is.

Constantly repeating some buzzwords randomly joined together doesn’t actually equate to an achievable policy that will have any successful outcomes.

By *astandFeistyCouple 5 days ago

Bournemouth

YouTube is allowed

Was shown a school exercise book by a parent the project entitled ‘ what it’s like to grow up as a Muslim in Britain’. "

Right? Is there a link to said interview anywhere?

nearby

Nope.

It's very very easy to convince some people that we should prioritise oil company profits over doing something about climate change. What a world we live in."

The majority of us seem to be interested in climate change, I read 76% of uk polled are concerned about it.

But I don’t see us giving up meat (73% uk carnivore diet) or 34 million cars on uk roads/ 4.5% of them electric, or investing in heat pumps (0.19% uk households have one/ 81% of Japan)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bqsh

https://yougov.co.uk/society/articles/44871-how-many-britons-will-attempt-vegan-diet-and-lifes

golden fields

Nope.

It's very very easy to convince some people that we should prioritise oil company profits over doing something about climate change. What a world we live in.

So basically you haven’t done anything."

Incorrect, I've explained in detail why I declined to ask your irrelevant question.

"

No wonder the Greens have crashed and burned across the EU. I’m guessing you haven’t bothered trying to understand why that is.

"

Why is this my responsibility, what's this got to do with your confusion about climate change?

"

Constantly repeating some buzzwords randomly joined together doesn’t actually equate to an achievable policy that will have any successful outcomes."

Good. No one is doing this.

golden fields

Nope.

The majority of us seem to be interested in climate change, I read 76% of uk polled are concerned about it.

But I don’t see us giving up meat (73% uk carnivore diet) or 34 million cars on uk roads/ 4.5% of them electric, or investing in heat pumps (0.19% uk households have one/ 81% of Japan)

https://yougov.co.uk/society/articles/44871-how-many-britons-will-attempt-vegan-diet-and-lifes"

These things aren't essential to combat climate change.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"On vehicle emissions he’s right too. It’s a total con unless electric vehicles can roll without tyres

https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/pollution-tyre-wear-worse-exhaust-emissionsban SUVs too. Unless they can roll without tyres.

And cheap tyres.

(It is an interesting discussion about what needs to be looked at, how we compare, and what gets legislated for) "

https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/tyre-emissions-from-the-latest-electric-vehicles

Here's the latest from the same group which suggests we need to factor in lots more things than just weight. Tho I will admit I'm not 100pc sure their conclusion even when looking at their final slide which says "current bev tend to be higher wearing but less toxic" (to what??)

Nope.

Incorrect, I've explained in detail why I declined to ask your irrelevant question.

Why is this my responsibility, what's this got to do with your confusion about climate change?

Constantly repeating some buzzwords randomly joined together doesn’t actually equate to an achievable policy that will have any successful outcomes.

Good. No one is doing this. "

Like all Green fanatics you have no practical solutions at all. You are actually your own worst enemies, which is why you are being dumped by the electorate.

Labour has to appease the Greens with its barmy Net Zero policies to stop a trickle of votes to the Green Party, but sooner or later Labour will also start rolling back on its Net Zero policies.

It’s actually a tragedy for environmental policy that it has been hijacked by extremists.

golden fields

Nope.

Like all Green fanatics you have no practical solutions at all. You are actually your own worst enemies, which is why you are being dumped by the electorate.

Labour has to appease the Greens with its barmy Net Zero policies to stop a trickle of votes to the Green Party, but sooner or later Labour will also start rolling back on its Net Zero policies.

It’s actually a tragedy for environmental policy that it has been hijacked by extremists."

Imagine thinking that people who want to tackle climate change are "extremists".

Fair play to you.

By *00STERMan 5 days ago

nearby

"I thought an electric car was more efficient on a longer journey, if it works out they are not that is not good!

The other consideration with electric cars is they take a lot of energy to build and the lifespan is so much shorter that I believe they are more polluting than ICE "

EV's are at their worst on a long journey at motorway speeds. Faster speed is a higher drain on the battery, and because you are at a constant speed yoy don't get the benefit of regenerative breaking etc. The one time you need their range is the one time they can't supply that range.

Nope.

It’s actually a tragedy for environmental policy that it has been hijacked by extremists.

Imagine thinking that people who want to tackle climate change are "extremists".

Fair play to you.

"

You “want to tackle climate change” yet have done nothing about it.

golden fields

Nope.

Fair play to you.

You “want to tackle climate change” yet have done nothing about it.

"

No. Incorrect.

nearby

"I thought an electric car was more efficient on a longer journey, if it works out they are not that is not good!

The other consideration with electric cars is they take a lot of energy to build and the lifespan is so much shorter that I believe they are more polluting than ICE

EV's are at their worst on a long journey at motorway speeds. Faster speed is a higher drain on the battery, and because you are at a constant speed yoy don't get the benefit of regenerative breaking etc. The one time you need their range is the one time they can't supply that range."

And are those electric cars charged using renewable electricity, 50.9 per cent( Quarter 1 2024) of uk electricity is from renewables

By *fclocketCouple 5 days ago

corby

I’m (mr) all for green energy but will not support pushing green energy regardless of outcome/cost.

As a family we make more than ever before but are less well off than before. Whilst there’s many reasons for this. Fuel (oil) price is the cause for a majority of it.

For me green energy has to be completely green. If the materials cannot be recycled, are very fossil fuel costly to gather and manufacture and have a relatively short life span why would you back this? It’s crazy. If you truly support green energy then you should back nuclear. If you’re also worried about nuclear waste you should also look into nuclear recycling that was used years ago.

As a country we do not want to be green, it’s obvious in everyday life. We as a nation could ban plastic tomorrow and replace it with other materials. Bottles could be glass with a recycling scheme which was used years ago, plastic bags are already being phased out. Packaging doesn’t need to be as ridiculous as it is now.

By *irldnCouple 5 days ago

Brighton

"

How white though? I mean does olive skin people with Italian ancestry but born here count?

Brighton

Maybe us in the West need to stop outsourcing all our manufacturing and dirty industries to India and China?

I don't see how going net zero by 2050 will make that much of a impact apart from in our pocket

Maybe us in the West need to stop outsourcing all our manufacturing and dirty industries to India and China?"

Won’t that just make Net Zero even more impossible than it already is?

nearby

Maybe us in the West need to stop outsourcing all our manufacturing and dirty industries to India and China?"

That’s very valid. All the finger pointing at China who manufacture 28% of everything on the globe.

Unsurprisingly their carbon footprint is high.

Brighton

Maybe us in the West need to stop outsourcing all our manufacturing and dirty industries to India and China?

Won’t that just make Net Zero even more impossible than it already is?"

Dunno I do not claim to understand it all but I constantly see people arguing against the UK (or West) doing anything because…India and China…when in fact the industrialisation of those two countries has been driven by the actions of the West. So I like to call out the hypocrisy!

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

EV's are at their worst on a long journey at motorway speeds. Faster speed is a higher drain on the battery, and because you are at a constant speed yoy don't get the benefit of regenerative breaking etc. The one time you need their range is the one time they can't supply that range."

be interested to see how that translates to cost tho as that's the claim. Especially as other cars are also inefficient at speed.

nearby

Dunno I do not claim to understand it all but I constantly see people arguing against the UK (or West) doing anything because…India and China…when in fact the industrialisation of those two countries has been driven by the actions of the West. So I like to call out the hypocrisy!"

Exactly this, and Farage calling it out for what it is

The previous chancellor Phillip Hammond said the UK could not afford the £1trn cost of climate change.

By *lfasoCouple 5 days ago

South East

It will put more cash in our pockets long term and we produce nearly as much CO2 as china per head of population."

CO2 emissions (metric tons per capita)

World Bank

China 7.8

UK 4.6

Our World in Data

China 8.0

UK 5.2

By *00STERMan 5 days ago

nearby

EV's are at their worst on a long journey at motorway speeds. Faster speed is a higher drain on the battery, and because you are at a constant speed yoy don't get the benefit of regenerative breaking etc. The one time you need their range is the one time they can't supply that range.be interested to see how that translates to cost tho as that's the claim. Especially as other cars are also inefficient at speed. "

If you have to change anywhere but home then it will cost more. Ice cars are almost the inverse of evs in that they are incredibly inefficient in urban stop start, but much more efficient in the cruise. A test was done in couple of 4 series bmw's same distance driven on motorway one petrol one ev. Both started fully fueled then charged / filled at the same services. The ice was cheaper. But that's because those ev chargers are stupidly expensive compared to home.

Brighton

It will put more cash in our pockets long term and we produce nearly as much CO2 as china per head of population.

World Bank

China 7.8

UK 4.6

Our World in Data

China 8.0

UK 5.2

"

How does that change if we bring all manufacturing back to the UK?

By *lfasoCouple 5 days ago

South East

World Bank

China 7.8

UK 4.6

Our World in Data

China 8.0

UK 5.2

How does that change if we bring all manufacturing back to the UK?"

Will that happen soon?

nearby

World Bank

China 7.8

UK 4.6

Our World in Data

China 8.0

UK 5.2

"

Chinese manufacturing 27.7% of $18trn GDP

Uk manufacturing 8.65% of £3.1trn GDP

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/CHN/china/manufacturing-output

By *00STERMan 5 days ago

nearby

EV's are at their worst on a long journey at motorway speeds. Faster speed is a higher drain on the battery, and because you are at a constant speed yoy don't get the benefit of regenerative breaking etc. The one time you need their range is the one time they can't supply that range.be interested to see how that translates to cost tho as that's the claim. Especially as other cars are also inefficient at speed.

If you have to change anywhere but home then it will cost more. Ice cars are almost the inverse of evs in that they are incredibly inefficient in urban stop start, but much more efficient in the cruise. A test was done in couple of 4 series bmw's same distance driven on motorway one petrol one ev. Both started fully fueled then charged / filled at the same services. The ice was cheaper. But that's because those ev chargers are stupidly expensive compared to home."

Of cause all that said is that's only a consideration for somone doing regular long distance (200+ mile) trips. An ev will be cheaper for 90 of normal journeys for the majority of people. I'm not interested in them and will keep my current car as long as possible. Maybe get something ev around 2030 if I really have to (and if there is something small enough and fun enough) and keep the 911 as a weekend garage queen.

By *ggdrasil66Man 5 days ago

Saltdean

That’s very valid. All the finger pointing at China who manufacture 28% of everything on the globe.

Unsurprisingly their carbon footprint is high. "

1,142 coal power stations would elevate that carbon footprint extortionately. They obviously haven’t got much of a green agenda!

Brighton

World Bank

China 7.8

UK 4.6

Our World in Data

China 8.0

UK 5.2

Will that happen soon?"

Of course not but pointing the finger at China while busily consuming all the manufactured products they churn out is hypocritical.

Brighton

1,142 coal power stations would elevate that carbon footprint extortionately. They obviously haven’t got much of a green agenda!"

You might actually want to research that a bit. China are doing green projects on a scale that makes the West look pitiful. However, they appear to be being pragmatic in that, for now, they understand that they can only fund that by continuing to be the World’s factory.

nearby

World Bank

China 7.8

UK 4.6

Our World in Data

China 8.0

UK 5.2

Will that happen soon?

Of course not but pointing the finger at China while busily consuming all the manufactured products they churn out is hypocritical."

And importing 40% of food and 37% of our energy

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-food-security-index-2024/uk-food-security-index-2024#:~:text=Production%20was%20at%2060%25%20for,mitigates%20national%20risks%20to%20supply.

By *ggdrasil66Man 5 days ago

Saltdean

1,142 coal power stations would elevate that carbon footprint extortionately. They obviously haven’t got much of a green agenda!

You might actually want to research that a bit. China are doing green projects on a scale that makes the West look pitiful. However, they appear to be being pragmatic in that, for now, they understand that they can only fund that by continuing to be the World’s factory."

Sorry but I’m certain that they can’t be that serious about it with all those coal powered power stations. 1,142, that is a hell of a lot of fossil fuel being burned.

nearby

You might actually want to research that a bit. China are doing green projects on a scale that makes the West look pitiful. However, they appear to be being pragmatic in that, for now, they understand that they can only fund that by continuing to be the World’s factory.

Sorry but I’m certain that they can’t be that serious about it with all those coal powered power stations. 1,142, that is a hell of a lot of fossil fuel being burned."

How they produce their energy does not stop uk importing £90bn Chinese goods annually

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6672b732f92bc4be25da7df7/china-trade-and-investment-factsheet-2024-06-20.pdf

Brighton

Sorry but I’m certain that they can’t be that serious about it with all those coal powered power stations. 1,142, that is a hell of a lot of fossil fuel being burned."

1. That number of power stations needs to be seen in context of their population AND manufacturing output mostly consumed by the West.

2. As I said they are perhaps being pragmatic and taking a graduated step to balance the future with current needs.

3. Seriously go research it. When I did I was astounded and in awe of what they are doing.

Brighton

Ok here’s some China stats. Makes for interesting and I would say to those people saying we can’t afford to green our economy, maybe we need to be more future focused as maybe we can’t afford not to from a pure economics POV regardless of climate change…

1. Clean-energy investment rose 40% year-on-year to 6.3tn yuan ($890bn), with the growth accounting for all of the investment growth across the Chinese economy in 2023.

2. China’s $890bn investment in clean-energy sectors is almost as large as total global investments in fossil fuel supply in 2023 – and similar to the GDP of Switzerland or Turkey.

3. Including the value of production, clean-energy sectors contributed 11.4tn yuan ($1.6tn) to the Chinese economy in 2023, up 30% year-on-year.

4. Clean-energy sectors, as a result, were the largest driver of China’ economic growth overall, accounting for 40% of the expansion of GDP in 2023.

5. Without the growth from clean-energy sectors, China’s GDP would have missed the government’s growth target of “around 5%”, rising by only 3.0% instead of 5.2%.

golden fields

Dunno I do not claim to understand it all but I constantly see people arguing against the UK (or West) doing anything because…India and China…when in fact the industrialisation of those two countries has been driven by the actions of the West. So I like to call out the hypocrisy!

Exactly this, and Farage calling it out for what it is

The previous chancellor Phillip Hammond said the UK could not afford the £1trn cost of climate change. "

If only we'd done something about it when we had the chance.

Still the longer we leave it, the greater the cost, and the greater the profits for the fossil fuels industry.

By *otMe66Man 5 days ago

Terra Firma

That makes more sense

By *eroy1000Man 5 days ago

milton keynes

EV's are at their worst on a long journey at motorway speeds. Faster speed is a higher drain on the battery, and because you are at a constant speed yoy don't get the benefit of regenerative breaking etc. The one time you need their range is the one time they can't supply that range.be interested to see how that translates to cost tho as that's the claim. Especially as other cars are also inefficient at speed.

If you have to change anywhere but home then it will cost more. Ice cars are almost the inverse of evs in that they are incredibly inefficient in urban stop start, but much more efficient in the cruise. A test was done in couple of 4 series bmw's same distance driven on motorway one petrol one ev. Both started fully fueled then charged / filled at the same services. The ice was cheaper. But that's because those ev chargers are stupidly expensive compared to home."

I have seen a few reports comparing EV to ICE and as soon as they have to charge anywhere apart from home (which takes forever) the ICE is usually cheaper. Given that many can't charge at home it becomes a bit of a hurdle

nearby

If you have to change anywhere but home then it will cost more. Ice cars are almost the inverse of evs in that they are incredibly inefficient in urban stop start, but much more efficient in the cruise. A test was done in couple of 4 series bmw's same distance driven on motorway one petrol one ev. Both started fully fueled then charged / filled at the same services. The ice was cheaper. But that's because those ev chargers are stupidly expensive compared to home.

I have seen a few reports comparing EV to ICE and as soon as they have to charge anywhere apart from home (which takes forever) the ICE is usually cheaper. Given that many can't charge at home it becomes a bit of a hurdle"

If only 50% of electricity in uk is from renewables I’m struggling to see the environmental benefit.

On a personal basis a £2.5K diesel golf will last another 10 years as opposed to £50k for an equivalent EV version, which for 7-8k annual miles is not worthwhile.

Given the massive losses that EV’s suffer in resale value no sane person is going to buy one privately.

They are okay if you get one through a company car scheme and get some tax benefits and the losses in value aren’t your problem. And provided your employer doesn’t mind you spending hours out of your day recharging it. So much for the UK’s productivity problem.

Oh and provided you’ve got a second ICE car for times when you actually want to go anywhere beyond the commute to the office on someone else’s time.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"Given the massive losses that EV’s suffer in resale value no sane person is going to buy one privately.

They are okay if you get one through a company car scheme and get some tax benefits and the losses in value aren’t your problem. And provided your employer doesn’t mind you spending hours out of your day recharging it. So much for the UK’s productivity problem.

Oh and provided you’ve got a second ICE car for times when you actually want to go anywhere beyond the commute to the office on someone else’s time."

I agree with your first points. I have no idea who you are think of when talking about this worker who recharges on work time and wouldn't ever do it in their own time ... I can only think of someone who travels a lot for work and never has to email.

By *abioMan 5 days ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I have seen a few reports comparing EV to ICE and as soon as they have to charge anywhere apart from home (which takes forever) the ICE is usually cheaper. Given that many can't charge at home it becomes a bit of a hurdle"

Yes… and no!

When the ICE first appeared do you think people were saying…. Can’t have one of those at home, need to keep a tank of petrol at all times!

The answer will be what is now… petrol stations will become charging stations, the charging infrastructure will get better and the cars will basically get you from a 10-80% charge quicker

Things that will need looking at…. Disparity in charging prices!… for example there can be a huge difference between what Tesla have managed to do with their supercharger network! And what competitors charge

The other thing at the moment is the price disparity between EV and ICE , that will also come down with the greater variety in the next 18-24 months

By *eroy1000Man 5 days ago

milton keynes

I have seen a few reports comparing EV to ICE and as soon as they have to charge anywhere apart from home (which takes forever) the ICE is usually cheaper. Given that many can't charge at home it becomes a bit of a hurdle

Yes… and no!

When the ICE first appeared do you think people were saying…. Can’t have one of those at home, need to keep a tank of petrol at all times!

The answer will be what is now… petrol stations will become charging stations, the charging infrastructure will get better and the cars will basically get you from a 10-80% charge quicker

Things that will need looking at…. Disparity in charging prices!… for example there can be a huge difference between what Tesla have managed to do with their supercharger network! And what competitors charge

The other thing at the moment is the price disparity between EV and ICE , that will also come down with the greater variety in the next 18-24 months "

I was saying what reports I had seen of actual comparison tests and when public charging was needed the ICE proved more efficient. I agree the disparity of public charging to home charging needs addressing as that was what the reports highlight. They did not even take into account the buying of the vehicles. In the future petrol stations may well turn into charging stations but I was talking about the here and now.

"Given the massive losses that EV’s suffer in resale value no sane person is going to buy one privately.

Oh and provided you’ve got a second ICE car for times when you actually want to go anywhere beyond the commute to the office on someone else’s time.I agree with your first points. I have no idea who you are think of when talking about this worker who recharges on work time and wouldn't ever do it in their own time ... I can only think of someone who travels a lot for work and never has to email. "

Of course people will generally charge on their own time when they can. But lots of workers are on the road either on single lengthy return journeys or away for multiple days at a time. Relying on a single charge at home isn’t an option, and nor is guaranteeing availability of suitable charging when you want it. With an ICE none of this is an issue, and even if you are running low it’s a ten minute stop. No biggie out of your working day.

Added to that is the total unreliability of manufacturers’ charging figures which are a complete con. Under any other circumstance there would be a big regulatory issue but what we have currently is legalised lying in mileage ranges because governments are happy for people to be misled because it advances their agenda.

But people aren’t stupid. We all know that the range figures are rubbish and we should cut them by 33% to get the real world figure. 200 miles is next to useless.

I can’t recall where I was reading the other day, it may have been an industry source saying that EV drivers are increasingly switching back to ICE cars when they change because their experience with EV’s has been so poor.

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Oh and provided you’ve got a second ICE car for times when you actually want to go anywhere beyond the commute to the office on someone else’s time.I agree with your first points. I have no idea who you are think of when talking about this worker who recharges on work time and wouldn't ever do it in their own time ... I can only think of someone who travels a lot for work and never has to email.

Of course people will generally charge on their own time when they can. But lots of workers are on the road either on single lengthy return journeys or away for multiple days at a time. Relying on a single charge at home isn’t an option, and nor is guaranteeing availability of suitable charging when you want it. With an ICE none of this is an issue, and even if you are running low it’s a ten minute stop. No biggie out of your working day.

Added to that is the total unreliability of manufacturers’ charging figures which are a complete con. Under any other circumstance there would be a big regulatory issue but what we have currently is legalised lying in mileage ranges because governments are happy for people to be misled because it advances their agenda.

But people aren’t stupid. We all know that the range figures are rubbish and we should cut them by 33% to get the real world figure. 200 miles is next to useless.

I can’t recall where I was reading the other day, it may have been an industry source saying that EV drivers are increasingly switching back to ICE cars when they change because their experience with EV’s has been so poor.

"

everyone has their own experience but I've had no issues with finding a charger and often will charge while doing other stuff. Even when away it's been no dramas.

But also I don't drive three plus hours straight without a break. I've had no work that expects me to do this.

And I've found the range to be fairly reliable. As much as any ICE I've had. It's certainly not a third out.

It's each to their own. But I've had none of the horror stories people talk about with EV. It's a nicer drive and I enjoy the acceleration. I joined for the tax. I'd probably choose ev without the tax breaks.

nearby

Now Labour will take global lead on climate action, Ed Miliband says

No comment from Ed on who’s paying.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jul/01/labour-will-take-global-lead-on-climate-action-ed-miliband-vows

By *uckerfortitsMan 5 days ago

Sheffield

Long live the combustion engine

"Now Labour will take global lead on climate action, Ed Miliband says

No comment from Ed on who’s paying.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jul/01/labour-will-take-global-lead-on-climate-action-ed-miliband-vows"

First lemmings off the cliff.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 5 days ago

Central

They are a party with endemic global heating denial . Sure, we could put fingers in our ears, covering our eyes, trying to pretend that the world is flat too. . Or get on and prepare for the changed reality, from the fantasy that benefits a very tiny number of hyper-wealthy individuals.

We can follow and be behind more of the world, or take advantage of opportunities. We already have too many homes that badly need insulation, so opportunities exist to prepare for a changing climate and help to save people some money.

We can find opportunities and become leaders of our own future or stagnate and just swell the fortunes of the wrong people. Sure, we can obsess about some technical details, that will mean little in the longer term. It's seeming like classical attempts at misdirection. In any event, the party has no credible for government, they've just laid out some shiny trinkets and play with those with emotions to be massaged

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 4 days ago

golden fields

"They are a party with endemic global heating denial . Sure, we could put fingers in our ears, covering our eyes, trying to pretend that the world is flat too. . Or get on and prepare for the changed reality, from the fantasy that benefits a very tiny number of hyper-wealthy individuals.

We can follow and be behind more of the world, or take advantage of opportunities. We already have too many homes that badly need insulation, so opportunities exist to prepare for a changing climate and help to save people some money.

We can find opportunities and become leaders of our own future or stagnate and just swell the fortunes of the wrong people. Sure, we can obsess about some technical details, that will mean little in the longer term. It's seeming like classical attempts at misdirection. In any event, the party has no credible for government, they've just laid out some shiny trinkets and play with those with emotions to be massaged"

Works though. Look how many people on here have a serious boner for pretending climate change isn't happening. And lap up the nonsense about it all being bollocks because someone in the green party is waiting for a quote on a heat pump.

The anti-climate misinformation, misdirection and distraction is extremely well funded, and does enough to convince people who aren't paying proper attention.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 4 days ago

nearby

"

The anti-climate misinformation, misdirection and distraction is extremely well funded, and does enough to convince people who aren't paying proper attention. "

If you can find it anywhere to watch Liz Bonnins documentary has been taken down for exposing climate damage caused by the meat industry and our in particular our diets

80% of the world's agricultural land is used to raise livestock for meat and dairy.which causes significant climate damage.

Animal agriculture — livestock and animal feed is a significant driver of deforestation, and is also responsible for approximately 60% of direct global greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/bbc-pulls-meat-documentary-from-iplayer-after-nfu-complaint

nearby

"

The anti-climate misinformation, misdirection and distraction is extremely well funded, and does enough to convince people who aren't paying proper attention.

If you can find it anywhere to watch Liz Bonnins documentary has been taken down for exposing climate damage caused by the meat industry and our in particular our diets

80% of the world's agricultural land is used to raise livestock for meat and dairy.which causes significant climate damage.

Animal agriculture — livestock and animal feed is a significant driver of deforestation, and is also responsible for approximately 60% of direct global greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/bbc-pulls-meat-documentary-from-iplayer-after-nfu-complaint"

This is the same organisation who’s seminar I recently attended estowing the benefits of tree planting and habitat creation to mitigate climate change

You could not make it up

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/business-management/agricultural-transition/alternative-land-uses-experts-offer-agroforestry-guidance

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 4 days ago

Gilfach

"Look how many people on here have a serious boner for pretending climate change isn't happening."

No one is claiming that climate change isn't happening, it clearly is. It's just that most people don't think that it's an emergency, and some think that it will be easier and cheaper to just adapt to the change rather than trying to stop it.

"And lap up the nonsense about it all being bollocks because someone in the green party is waiting for a quote on a heat pump."

No one thinks that the Green party leader waiting for a quote invalidates the climate change argument. But lots of people think that if a prominent Green activist doesn't follow her own teachings, that subtracts credibility from her claim that it's vital we all act as quickly as possible.

By (user no longer on site) 4 days ago

"They are a party with endemic global heating denial . Sure, we could put fingers in our ears, covering our eyes, trying to pretend that the world is flat too. . Or get on and prepare for the changed reality, from the fantasy that benefits a very tiny number of hyper-wealthy individuals.

We can find opportunities and become leaders of our own future or stagnate and just swell the fortunes of the wrong people. Sure, we can obsess about some technical details, that will mean little in the longer term. It's seeming like classical attempts at misdirection. In any event, the party has no credible for government, they've just laid out some shiny trinkets and play with those with emotions to be massaged"

If people want to better insulate their homes nobody is stopping them.

I’m sure there are plenty of private businesses across the country willing to provide the service. You just look them up on Google, get some quotes (assuming you don’t have Denyer’s problem and can’t get any of course) and away you go.

By *va.nightingaleTV/TS 4 days ago

North Manchester

"Works though. Look how many people on here have a serious boner for pretending climate change isn't happening. And lap up the nonsense about it all being bollocks because someone in the green party is waiting for a quote on a heat pump.

The anti-climate misinformation, misdirection and distraction is extremely well funded, and does enough to convince people who aren't paying proper attention. "

"People who aren't paying proper attention..."

How patronising, coming from one who manages to include the vulgar terms 'boner' and 'bollocks' in a post about the Earth's natural cycle......!

nearby

"

If people want to better insulate their homes nobody is stopping them.

"

Local authorities and historic England will

There are 50,000 listed buildings in uk and 10,000

conservation areas

I can’t speak for your local authority but if I put sealed glazing units, PV, or external insulation on my G2 flat on Plymouth hoe I will soon have enforcement around from the council.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/research/centres/cage/news/13-02-23-conservation_area_restrictions_are_stifling_climate_action_new_research_finds/

nearby

"people who aren't paying proper attention. "

Farage did not say he wasn’t paying attention, nor anyone else

He said the agenda being rolled out is near pointless in the uk and will achieve no global impact, and at an enormous cost to uk taxpayers.

Planting trees on farmland instead of in high carbon footprint urban locations being one example.

Plymouth city council made national headlines cutting down 96 established trees, to enable a city centre revamp than had gone from £4.2m to currently £36.8m cost, with some saplings being planted that will take decades to establish carbon capture that equals what was felled.

We are being fed shite on this subject.

golden fields

"Look how many people on here have a serious boner for pretending climate change isn't happening.

No one is claiming that climate change isn't happening, it clearly is. It's just that most people don't think that it's an emergency, and some think that it will be easier and cheaper to just adapt to the change rather than trying to stop it.

And lap up the nonsense about it all being bollocks because someone in the green party is waiting for a quote on a heat pump.

No one thinks that the Green party leader waiting for a quote invalidates the climate change argument. But lots of people think that if a prominent Green activist doesn't follow her own teachings, that subtracts credibility from her claim that it's vital we all act as quickly as possible."

Interesting, but you're clearly not paying attention to what people are saying.

golden fields

"Works though. Look how many people on here have a serious boner for pretending climate change isn't happening. And lap up the nonsense about it all being bollocks because someone in the green party is waiting for a quote on a heat pump.

"People who aren't paying proper attention..."

How patronising, coming from one who manages to include the vulgar terms 'boner' and 'bollocks' in a post about the Earth's natural cycle......!"

As an example!

golden fields

"people who aren't paying proper attention.

"

No, Farage is banking on people not paying proper attention. Just the same as with most of their policies.

"

He said the agenda being rolled out is near pointless in the uk and will achieve no global impact, and at an enormous cost to uk taxpayers.

"

Which of course is a lie, and is banking on people just believing they him instead of looking into the situation.

"

Planting trees on farmland instead of in high carbon footprint urban locations being one example.

Plymouth city council made national headlines cutting down 96 established trees, to enable a city centre revamp than had gone from £4.2m to currently £36.8m cost, with some saplings being planted that will take decades to establish carbon capture that equals what was felled.

We are being fed shite on this subject. "

Planting trees is one very small part of the solution. No one is saying that it will solve the problem. Just provides a sliver of help.

nearby

No, Farage is banking on people not paying proper attention. Just the same as with most of their policies.

Which of course is a lie, and is banking on people just believing they him instead of looking into the situation.

Planting trees is one very small part of the solution. No one is saying that it will solve the problem. Just provides a sliver of help."

If 8bn people turned to a vegetable diet today, and if what I’ve linked above is correct, green house gas emissions will fall immediately by 60%. All the lost jobs could be reemployed in arable farming

Would this not be a good place to start ?

By *aunchyrabbitsCouple 4 days ago

West Dorset

The other consideration with electric cars is they take a lot of energy to build and the lifespan is so much shorter that I believe they are more polluting than ICE "

And you are basing this on what scientific evidence?

By *idnight RamblerMan 4 days ago

Pershore

"

Well EVs are around 25% heavier the ICEs in a like for like comparison. That's more fuel, more tyres, more road wear. All large energy consumers. That's pure science right there.

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

"

It is short journeys that are more efficient, I got that the wrong way, and please use google for info on the emissions and energy needed to create and run an EV, no need to take my word for it… let me know if you find something that contradicts what I’ve said

nearby

Planting trees is one very small part of the solution. No one is saying that it will solve the problem. Just provides a sliver of help."

I walked around those fields in crediton, listened to the farmer who is the biggest meat supplier to restaurants in Devon. He explained how he’s being paid for planting trees, the species, the methods, alley planting, shade cover etc. all good stuff but only if your being paid to do it

But as he said it will do nothing for polluted urban areas

The BNG agenda on new build is another example.

Developers forced to purchase a 30 year wildlife/habitat contract on existing habitats, not creating new ones. The cost paid by the home buyer (range £1000-£2000 per property) who will not benefit. Their new build properties garden not big enough to plant their own tree, but they’ve paid for a living tree possibly located hundreds of miles away.

Any BNG woodland creation, a potential cash cow for land owners, may then become permanent woodland its land use not reversible to farming.

https://environmentbank.com/

nearby

Well EVs are around 25% heavier the ICEs in a like for like comparison. That's more fuel, more tyres, more road wear. All large energy consumers. That's pure science right there."

Any more weight is more tyre pollution

On the link referenced above you would need 1000 cars (however they are powered) without tyres to negate the tyre emissions of one car.

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

Well EVs are around 25% heavier the ICEs in a like for like comparison. That's more fuel, more tyres, more road wear. All large energy consumers. That's pure science right there.

On the link referenced above you would need 1000 cars (however they are powered) without tyres to negate the tyre emissions of one car. "

That is a lot of emissions, seems like tyres are flying under the radar

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

If we take Farage’s idea of working to live with it rather than trying to stop climate change, what would that look like?

Would we need to drop European borders to allow free migration as we learn to live with people needing to move from areas that are uninhabitable?

What else would be needed to live with it?

By *oxychick35Couple 4 days ago

thornaby

Nope.

If I could get some clarity on why you're asking this seemingly irrelevant question, it will help."

but isn’t there science that disagrees with the climate science?

By *irldnCouple 4 days ago

Brighton

On the link referenced above you would need 1000 cars (however they are powered) without tyres to negate the tyre emissions of one car.

That is a lot of emissions, seems like tyres are flying under the radar "

Only if you are the Dukes of Hazard (subtle I know)

Brighton

"If we take Farage’s idea of working to live with it rather than trying to stop climate change, what would that look like?

Would we need to drop European borders to allow free migration as we learn to live with people needing to move from areas that are uninhabitable?

What else would be needed to live with it?"

I think you just hit a contradictory nail on the head…

1. Climate change will make areas of the planet uninhabitable (or highly difficult)

2. The majority of those areas fall within what is generally today still considered third world (and certainly not white European)

3. This will drive human migration that will inevitably put pressure on the borders of those countries that will maintain a better more liveable climate (access to food and resources)

4. So if we do not tackle or try to tackle or mitigate climate change, how are we going to manage our borders and immigration levels?

golden fields

Planting trees is one very small part of the solution. No one is saying that it will solve the problem. Just provides a sliver of help.

If 8bn people turned to a vegetable diet today, and if what I’ve linked above is correct, green house gas emissions will fall immediately by 60%. All the lost jobs could be reemployed in arable farming

Would this not be a good place to start ? "

No.

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

"If we take Farage’s idea of working to live with it rather than trying to stop climate change, what would that look like?

1. Climate change will make areas of the planet uninhabitable (or highly difficult)

2. The majority of those areas fall within what is generally today still considered third world (and certainly not white European)

3. This will drive human migration that will inevitably put pressure on the borders of those countries that will maintain a better more liveable climate (access to food and resources)

4. So if we do not tackle or try to tackle or mitigate climate change, how are we going to manage our borders and immigration levels?"

That is what I was thinking

If the question was presented to Farage, if we learn to live it, would you open our borders for mass immigration due to climate change? The answer to that question would be very interesting,

golden fields

"

Nothing, it's nonsense, there's no scenario that this works, aside from abandoning the planet and moving to mars. Ridiculous.

"

What else would be needed to live with it?"

Brighton

4. So if we do not tackle or try to tackle or mitigate climate change, how are we going to manage our borders and immigration levels?

If the question was presented to Farage, if we learn to live it, would you open our borders for mass immigration due to climate change? The answer to that question would be very interesting, "

I think some will just say “not our problem where you were born, tough luck”

golden fields

Nope.

If I could get some clarity on why you're asking this seemingly irrelevant question, it will help.but isn’t there science that disagrees with the climate science?"

Yes. 0.1% of scientists (all of which who are funded through the fossil fuels industry) say that it's not happening, nothing to see here.

golden fields

If the question was presented to Farage, if we learn to live it, would you open our borders for mass immigration due to climate change? The answer to that question would be very interesting, "

This is a nice example of how Reform policies contradict eachother.

I also maintain that Reform have an easy ride in the media, they're rarely properly challenged. Could probably say the same of every party.

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

If the question was presented to Farage, if we learn to live it, would you open our borders for mass immigration due to climate change? The answer to that question would be very interesting,

I think some will just say “not our problem where you were born, tough luck”"

He might, but he might not. A fundamental problem when dealing with Farage is the same problem people have dealing with Trump, they attack the person.

This creates camps for and against, and the conversation dissolves into nothing more than right or wrong for attacking them.

Brighton

He might, but he might not. A fundamental problem when dealing with Farage is the same problem people have dealing with Trump, they attack the person.

This creates camps for and against, and the conversation dissolves into nothing more than right or wrong for attacking them.

"

I wasn’t saying what Farage will say (all bets are off with that grifter and it will probably be whatever his funders want) that’s why I said “some will say” as in his supporters.

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

I wasn’t saying what Farage will say (all bets are off with that grifter and it will probably be whatever his funders want) that’s why I said “some will say” as in his supporters."

I wasn't referring to you or your comment, just in general.

I think the phrase you have used in the past, playing the man.

This is how I see political commentators, journalists and people who have an axe to grind with the Farage's and Trump's of this world.

Brighton

I wasn’t saying what Farage will say (all bets are off with that grifter and it will probably be whatever his funders want) that’s why I said “some will say” as in his supporters.

This is how I see political commentators, journalists and people who have an axe to grind with the Farage's and Trump's of this world. "

Ah ok wasn’t clear from your post.

I would love to put that question to Farage and see how he can square the circle!

Brighton

Genuine question as I do not know…

Does Reform (and therefore Farage and Tice) accept that climate change is happening?

Assuming they do, and regardless of whether that is a natural cycle, man made/contributed, or something we can tackle or mitigate…if it is real then mass migration is inevitable once famines happen and wars erupt to take control of decreasing resources. So when that happens, and it will, what does that means for the borders of more temperate countries and immigration?

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

This is how I see political commentators, journalists and people who have an axe to grind with the Farage's and Trump's of this world.

Ah ok wasn’t clear from your post.

I would love to put that question to Farage and see how he can square the circle!"

So would I

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 02/07/24 10:17:14]

By *otMe66Man 4 days ago

Terra Firma

"Genuine question as I do not know…

Does Reform (and therefore Farage and Tice) accept that climate change is happening?

Assuming they do, and regardless of whether that is a natural cycle, man made/contributed, or something we can tackle or mitigate…if it is real then mass migration is inevitable once famines happen and wars erupt to take control of decreasing resources. So when that happens, and it will, what does that means for the borders of more temperate countries and immigration? "

They accept climate change is happening, they don't accept that net zero is the answer.

The line is learn to live with it, put efforts into that, but that is unclear. As you say the outcome of temp rises around the globe will more than likely cause more migration.

I'm not convinced the E2E policy is considered past the headline.

Brighton

Assuming they do, and regardless of whether that is a natural cycle, man made/contributed, or something we can tackle or mitigate…if it is real then mass migration is inevitable once famines happen and wars erupt to take control of decreasing resources. So when that happens, and it will, what does that means for the borders of more temperate countries and immigration?

They accept climate change is happening, they don't accept that net zero is the answer.

The line is learn to live with it, put efforts into that, but that is unclear. As you say the outcome of temp rises around the globe will more than likely cause more migration.

I'm not convinced the E2E policy is considered past the headline."

Not more than likely. Absolutely inevitable. If you lived in a central African country and the risk that your family faced starvation or dying of thirst was increasing year-on-year what would you do?

By *AFKA Hovis OP   Man 4 days ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

That is a lot of emissions, seems like tyres are flying under the radar "

based on very custory looks at the links provided it seems the US have regs and EU are looking to introduce something. Didn't mention UK.

The same site suggested that it was all a bit complex and can't be boiled down to simply heavy equals bad. EVs having bigger wheels may help reduce the impact of increased weight.

golden fields

Assuming they do, and regardless of whether that is a natural cycle, man made/contributed, or something we can tackle or mitigate…if it is real then mass migration is inevitable once famines happen and wars erupt to take control of decreasing resources. So when that happens, and it will, what does that means for the borders of more temperate countries and immigration? "

Richard Tice has previously suggested that it's a hoax and that it's not happening.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 4 days ago

Gilfach

"If 8bn people turned to a vegetable diet today, and if what I’ve linked above is correct, green house gas emissions will fall immediately by 60%. All the lost jobs could be reemployed in arable farming"

But they wouldn't be. There isn't enough arable land in the UK to supply the whole population with vegetable foods.

Cows and pigs will happily live in fields that occasionally flood, or are full of stones, or just too uneven which makes them unploughable. Sheep will live on very steep and barren hillsides that have no other farming purpose.

If you got rid of all the food animals, the majority of the land they currently occupy would just be left fallow. The massive amount of vegetables needed would create a lot more jobs, but not in the UK.

Brighton

"If 8bn people turned to a vegetable diet today, and if what I’ve linked above is correct, green house gas emissions will fall immediately by 60%. All the lost jobs could be reemployed in arable farming

But they wouldn't be. There isn't enough arable land in the UK to supply the whole population with vegetable foods.

Cows and pigs will happily live in fields that occasionally flood, or are full of stones, or just too uneven which makes them unploughable. Sheep will live on very steep and barren hillsides that have no other farming purpose.

If you got rid of all the food animals, the majority of the land they currently occupy would just be left fallow. The massive amount of vegetables needed would create a lot more jobs, but not in the UK."

Well at least we can turn Conservative HQ’s garden into allotments, oh and Sunak’s family home garden, as they won’t be needed soon

By *abioMan 3 days ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Well EVs are around 25% heavier the ICEs in a like for like comparison. That's more fuel, more tyres, more road wear. All large energy consumers. That's pure science right there."

Not necessarily …. Because EV technology is so “new” in relative terms we don’t know how long the batteries will truly last…. But Tesla while back did a survey of their oldest “10 year old +” model S cars… and found on average that the batteries had only about 10% of full power (mileage range) for as they were new…

Ev tech will get better with development… just like ICE tech did! the cars attainable charging speed, yes the infrastructure and the charging port speed, li-on batteries have now progressed to LFP batteries, which are cheaper to build, more efficient and reliable

The interesting thing for me is that we do subsidise the oil and gas industry, mainly thru tax breaks… but subsidising green energy is apparently a step too far!

By (user no longer on site) 3 days ago

Not necessarily …. Because EV technology is so “new” in relative terms we don’t know how long the batteries will truly last…. But Tesla while back did a survey of their oldest “10 year old +” model S cars… and found on average that the batteries had only about 10% of full power (mileage range) for as they were new…

Ev tech will get better with development… just like ICE tech did! the cars attainable charging speed, yes the infrastructure and the charging port speed, li-on batteries have now progressed to LFP batteries, which are cheaper to build, more efficient and reliable

The interesting thing for me is that we do subsidise the oil and gas industry, mainly thru tax breaks… but subsidising green energy is apparently a step too far!"

What’s the plan if the technology doesn’t improve?

Basing policy on some kind of blind faith isn’t rational.

Ultimately if the technology improves, range and reliability improves, resale values improve, and the car manufacturers produce products that people want to buy at a price they can afford, there will be no reason for the government to be involved at all.

By *irldnCouple 3 days ago

Brighton

The interesting thing for me is that we do subsidise the oil and gas industry, mainly thru tax breaks… but subsidising green energy is apparently a step too far!

What’s the plan if the technology doesn’t improve?

Basing policy on some kind of blind faith isn’t rational.

Ultimately if the technology improves, range and reliability improves, resale values improve, and the car manufacturers produce products that people want to buy at a price they can afford, there will be no reason for the government to be involved at all.

"

Note you didn’t respond to Fabio’s point on tax breaks. Shouldn’t the UK be incentivising the R&D of new technology?

On other points I agree. Make EVs the better option for the consumer and sales will rocket and ICEs will fall away.

By *abioMan 3 days ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The interesting thing for me is that we do subsidise the oil and gas industry, mainly thru tax breaks… but subsidising green energy is apparently a step too far!"

Bit of a typo in there…

The 10 year old tesla model s looked at had only LOST 10% of their original power….

That’s on me!! Makes much more sense now!

By *otMe66Man 3 days ago

Terra Firma

Bit of a typo in there…

The 10 year old tesla model s looked at had only LOST 10% of their original power….

That’s on me!! Makes much more sense now! "

The issue is consumer confidence, there simply isn't any.

There needs to be a spurt of tech delivery to expedite the change or it will keep floundering in the long grass, and we will see no advancement until consumers consider a used EV to be an option to purchase.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 3 days ago

in Lancashire

"

There needs to be a spurt of tech delivery to expedite the change or it will keep floundering in the long grass, and we will see no advancement until consumers consider a used EV to be an option to purchase.

"

Pretty much this..

Were set up here with solar and battery etc so have the means but there simply isn't the charging capacity across the country and for the journeys we need to be ready for to support family etc..

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 3 days ago

nearby

Bit of a typo in there…

That’s on me!! Makes much more sense now!

"

And cost. My old golf will do another 10 years. No way I’d be signed up for £500 a month ev

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 days ago

Gilfach

"The interesting thing for me is that we do subsidise the oil and gas industry, mainly thru tax breaks… but subsidising green energy is apparently a step too far!"

We don't subsidise the oil and gas industry. They get tax breaks (on R&D), but they're the same tax breaks that every company in the UK is entitled to.

We do on the other hand charge oil and gas companies double the normal cooperation tax, and then add an extra fuel levy on top of that.

By *otMe66Man 3 days ago

Terra Firma

"The interesting thing for me is that we do subsidise the oil and gas industry, mainly thru tax breaks… but subsidising green energy is apparently a step too far!

We don't subsidise the oil and gas industry. They get tax breaks (on R&D), but they're the same tax breaks that every company in the UK is entitled to.

We do on the other hand charge oil and gas companies double the normal cooperation tax, and then add an extra fuel levy on top of that."

Brighton

"The interesting thing for me is that we do subsidise the oil and gas industry, mainly thru tax breaks… but subsidising green energy is apparently a step too far!

We do on the other hand charge oil and gas companies double the normal cooperation tax, and then add an extra fuel levy on top of that."

Cooperation Tax [sic] was a typo that made me chuckle

By *lfasoCouple 3 days ago

South East

We do on the other hand charge oil and gas companies double the normal cooperation tax, and then add an extra fuel levy on top of that.

Cooperation Tax [sic] was a typo that made me chuckle "

They've got you over a barrel?

Brighton

Cooperation Tax [sic] was a typo that made me chuckle

They've got you over a barrel? "

By *eroy1000Man 3 days ago

milton keynes

I see this subsidising oil and gas companies claim every now and then on here, though not normally from Fabio. However have yet to understand what subsidies they get over and above what a green energy company gets. There must be something for the claim to be repeated over and over again, I would have thought.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 3 days ago

golden fields

I see this subsidising oil and gas companies claim every now and then on here, though not normally from Fabio. However have yet to understand what subsidies they get over and above what a green energy company gets. There must be something for the claim to be repeated over and over again, I would have thought."

Are you talking globally, or just in the UK?

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 3 days ago

Gilfach

"I see this subsidising oil and gas companies claim every now and then on here, though not normally from Fabio. However have yet to understand what subsidies they get over and above what a green energy company gets. There must be something for the claim to be repeated over and over again, I would have thought."

For those claimants that bother to do any research at all, they usually ignore the extra taxation, and then count all the tax breaks (R&D, reclaiming VAT, better returns from feed-in tarrifs on the renewables they have, etc), and claim that all of those are subsidies.

Of course, those same things don't count as subsidies when they are complaining that green companies don't get enough money from the government.

By *aughtystaffs60Couple 3 days ago

Staffordshire

I bought an EV second hand last year. It was £ 2K more than the petrol equivalent. Insurance was about the same (Mrs N like to shop around a bit). It sailed through it's first MOT and doesn't need servicing till 2025. For 4 to 6 months of the year most of our Juice comes off our solar panels and in the winter we can charge it for 8.5p per KWH. It's really fun to drive. The acceleration is phenomenal

Anyway I'll leave you all to it Enjoy tootling about at 20 mph when labour introduce them nationwide along with compulsory speed limiting. That's another nice thing about EVs, they are really good at very low speed and use a lot less energy. I was stuck in a queue a few month back and when I got to the cause of it actually had more miles due to it having regeneration.

psssst don't tell nige.

By *ove2pleaseseukMan 3 days ago

Hastings

Nope.

Either you aren’t committed to your cause, or there is some other reason why you haven’t purchased a heat pump or an EV. Those reasons are likely to be shared by significant portions of the population.

"

I don't believe they are shit But am in the countryside and don't have a big enough supply for a heat pump and an EV and the property. Still using coal. Lol

Hastings

Nope.

Not interested in it at all unless it makes financial sense. I'll be long gone by the time it's a real problem.

https://yougov.co.uk/society/articles/44871-how-many-britons-will-attempt-vegan-diet-and-lifes"

Hastings

don't bring back all the shit hear we don't want it.

By *eroy1000Man 2 days ago

milton keynes

I see this subsidising oil and gas companies claim every now and then on here, though not normally from Fabio. However have yet to understand what subsidies they get over and above what a green energy company gets. There must be something for the claim to be repeated over and over again, I would have thought.

Are you talking globally, or just in the UK?"

I'm talking about on the fab forums.

By *eroy1000Man 2 days ago

milton keynes

"I see this subsidising oil and gas companies claim every now and then on here, though not normally from Fabio. However have yet to understand what subsidies they get over and above what a green energy company gets. There must be something for the claim to be repeated over and over again, I would have thought.

For those claimants that bother to do any research at all, they usually ignore the extra taxation, and then count all the tax breaks (R&D, reclaiming VAT, better returns from feed-in tarrifs on the renewables they have, etc), and claim that all of those are subsidies.

Of course, those same things don't count as subsidies when they are complaining that green companies don't get enough money from the government."

Thank you

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 2 days ago

golden fields

I'm talking about on the fab forums. "

Are you talking about global subsides or UK subsidies for the fossil fuels industry?

By *eroy1000Man 1 day ago

milton keynes

Are you talking about global subsides or UK subsidies for the fossil fuels industry?"

Again I was talking about these forums with claims both ways. Whether they mean UK only or international is not clear. Personally more interested in UK as that's where I live and vote

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 1 day ago

golden fields

Are you talking about global subsides or UK subsidies for the fossil fuels industry?

Again I was talking about these forums with claims both ways. Whether they mean UK only or international is not clear. Personally more interested in UK as that's where I live and vote"

International is the key piece of information when discussing climate change. It's a global issue.

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 1 day ago

Gilfach

"Are you talking about global subsides or UK subsidies for the fossil fuels industry?"

"Again I was talking about these forums with claims both ways. Whether they mean UK only or international is not clear. Personally more interested in UK as that's where I live and vote"

"International is the key piece of information when discussing climate change. It's a global issue."

If the people making the claim mean internationally, they should be saying "they give subsidies", not "we give subsidies". Because 'we', the UK, don't.

Perhaps if those people made their claims clearer, people might be more inclined to listen to them.

» Add a new message to this topic