FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Anyone else not interested in the election?

Anyone else not interested in the election?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man 3 weeks ago

in the sticks

Can't be arsed with the bullshit from politicians and the media, it's all getting boring beyond a joke ... sooner or later the system will fail, once people stop playing the game. Join the human race society

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *isterBuckMan 3 weeks ago

Birmingham

Too true.

People getting very excited about which middle manager to vote for and which colour rosette they prefer this time around.

By *va.nightingaleTV/TS 3 weeks ago

North Manchester

What election....??(!)

By *idnight RamblerMan 3 weeks ago

Pershore

Well it's a democracy, we get the politicians and government we vote for. Fine if you've no interest in governance, laws, taxes, defence, health, education ...... then don't vote. But don't complain afterwards.

By *itygamesMan 3 weeks ago

UK

[Removed by poster at 11/06/24 06:05:20]

By *itygamesMan 3 weeks ago

UK

who ever is in power it never makes any difference to our daily lives or finances....so its a big no from me , no interest.

£500 fine if ya cats not chipped

folk cant use there car if its not ulez compliant so cant go shopping .

Bangin on about building millions of homes a year that are un affordable for people that need homes.

electric cars that folk cant even afford to buy let alone afford to charge/install the equipment to charge it.

and a million other things that are ridiculous.

Birmingham

"Well it's a democracy, we get the politicians and government we vote for. Fine if you've no interest in governance, laws, taxes, defence, health, education ...... then don't vote. But don't complain afterwards."

Not voting isn’t the same thing as having no interest.

It is unlikely that the outcome of this General Election is going to make any material policy difference. We will have exactly the same high tax, big spend, big government, net zero, high immigration, deluded war mongering government as before.

The only way any material change is going to come is if the economic system collapses, which is a distinct possibility over the next five to ten years.

Pershore

"Well it's a democracy, we get the politicians and government we vote for. Fine if you've no interest in governance, laws, taxes, defence, health, education ...... then don't vote. But don't complain afterwards.

Not voting isn’t the same thing as having no interest.

It is unlikely that the outcome of this General Election is going to make any material policy difference. We will have exactly the same high tax, big spend, big government, net zero, high immigration, deluded war mongering government as before.

The only way any material change is going to come is if the economic system collapses, which is a distinct possibility over the next five to ten years."

I very much doubt the economic system will collapse - there's too much vested interest and too much at stake. But what change are you looking for? What would you improve that is practical and affordable? The political model we have isn't perfect, but it's mightily better than some of the alternatives.

By *irldnCouple 3 weeks ago

Brighton

Quite a few of our regular posters are not posting? Generally those who have been more supportive of this Govt and the Tories overall. I thought they might be out in force rallying the troops and fighting for the cause?

So yeah, maybe a lot of people are bored of this election and perhaps politics right now?

Pershore

"Quite a few of our regular posters are not posting? Generally those who have been more supportive of this Govt and the Tories overall. I thought they might be out in force rallying the troops and fighting for the cause?

So yeah, maybe a lot of people are bored of this election and perhaps politics right now?"

I thought the politics forum would be on fire ahead of a GE, but it's like a graveyard. What's going on? Apathy and politics are poor bedfellows.

Brighton

"Quite a few of our regular posters are not posting? Generally those who have been more supportive of this Govt and the Tories overall. I thought they might be out in force rallying the troops and fighting for the cause?

So yeah, maybe a lot of people are bored of this election and perhaps politics right now?

I thought the politics forum would be on fire ahead of a GE, but it's like a graveyard. What's going on? Apathy and politics are poor bedfellows."

Indeed I thought the same. Maybe we are all just worn out and fed up of fighting.

A couple/few years back we had a humorous thread suggesting a Fab Politics Forum pub get together. It was a joy and very funny as everyone put aside their (inc me) keyboard warrior tendencies and just had some good banter as we tried to determine a seating plan.

I reckon in real life most folks on here would get along well enough.

And if not we can gather round the odd bundle shouting “fight fight fight!”

in the sticks

I thought the politics forum would be on fire ahead of a GE, but it's like a graveyard. What's going on? Apathy and politics are poor bedfellows.

Indeed I thought the same. Maybe we are all just worn out and fed up of fighting.

A couple/few years back we had a humorous thread suggesting a Fab Politics Forum pub get together. It was a joy and very funny as everyone put aside their (inc me) keyboard warrior tendencies and just had some good banter as we tried to determine a seating plan.

And if not we can gather round the odd bundle shouting “fight fight fight!”"

We done that on a popular dating site which had a very lively forum, used to meet up in brum and take over a hotel, was such a scream and very good banter plus got to know people etc

Brighton

We done that on a popular dating site which had a very lively forum, used to meet up in brum and take over a hotel, was such a scream and very good banter plus got to know people etc"

I might be very naive here, but I think with very few exceptions, pretty much everyone would get along in real life and use that British humour to just take the piss out of ourselves and others (jokes rarely come across well in these forums).

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 3 weeks ago

in Lancashire

We done that on a popular dating site which had a very lively forum, used to meet up in brum and take over a hotel, was such a scream and very good banter plus got to know people etc

I might be very naive here, but I think with very few exceptions, pretty much everyone would get along in real life and use that British humour to just take the piss out of ourselves and others (jokes rarely come across well in these forums)."

There is much more that united us etc so yes I think as long as religion and politics were banned for the night it would be fine..

My only worry would be not knowing which name to call one particular poster, badges might help..

By *wosmilersCouple 3 weeks ago

Heathrowish

Apathy towards the Election doesn't reflect well on the calibre of the parties, candidates or their policies.

It's a bit of a cop out to say that people who don't care, cannot complain about what they end up with.

It's more a case that the current product, sales pitch and the inspiration doesn't lend itself to garner support for any of the realistic options.

Brighton

I might be very naive here, but I think with very few exceptions, pretty much everyone would get along in real life and use that British humour to just take the piss out of ourselves and others (jokes rarely come across well in these forums).

There is much more that united us etc so yes I think as long as religion and politics were banned for the night it would be fine..

My only worry would be not knowing which name to call one particular poster, badges might help.."

Name badge each but multiple badges for others!

in Lancashire

[Removed by poster at 11/06/24 10:09:58]

By *AFKA HovisMan 3 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

My only worry would be not knowing which name to call one particular poster, badges might help..

Name badge each but multiple badges for others!"

Can we allow ex forumers ?

Some of the more interesting and vocal ones unfortunately seem to fail to keep on the right side of forum rules.

Brighton

Some of the more interesting and vocal ones unfortunately seem to fail to keep on the right side of forum rules. "

I would hope so. There are several that spring to mind from both ends of the spectrum that would make for a more interesting and discursive evening!

By *ostindreamsMan 3 weeks ago

London

Politics is fun either way. I like to watch it with a bag of popcorn. Can't find better entertainment than this. I will vote. But I am not seriously supporting any party to put my emotions on line.

in the sticks

Some of the more interesting and vocal ones unfortunately seem to fail to keep on the right side of forum rules.

I would hope so. There are several that spring to mind from both ends of the spectrum that would make for a more interesting and discursive evening!"

Worth doing it just once a year around the Midlands, good laugh, drink, curry and bit of swinging.... in any order

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 3 weeks ago

Cumbria

So yeah, maybe a lot of people are bored of this election and perhaps politics right now?"

Maybe it’s a case of ‘you can’t defend the indefensible’?

By *ony 2016Man 3 weeks ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Judging by his efforts since not having a plan to carry an umbrella Sunak doesn't seem too interested

By (user no longer on site) 3 weeks ago

The Short Term Gravy train has FINALLY gone off of the rails….every government & local government function is broken & corrupted by privatisation and the bill to put EVERYTHING in working order again will be PROHIBITIVE but that is the Governmental model WE have allowed to fester & grow until it will kill its host.

The Lettuce showed us conclusively Thatcherism is all over bar the shouting & despite the shame and blame game so WHAT is going to replace it?

It CAN’T go on like THIS:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2024/jun/11/how-britain-became-a-food-bank-nation

By *roadShoulderzMan 3 weeks ago

Petersfield

Maybe it’s a case of ‘you can’t defend the indefensible’?"

I had assumed that the more extreme right wing posters on here are Tory Party Activists and have been summoned to knock on doors or deliver leaflets or do whatever activists do these days. Probably so dejected at the end of the day they have their boiled eggs and then off to bed.

Hopefully we have seen the end that SKUNK SUNAK and the end of Neo Liberalism….that social & economic experiment that destroyed the country AND the right wing in this country.

He can’t honestly expect ANYONE to give him back the keys to Downing Street to save us from THEM????

DRACULA finishing the job is all it will be….

By *AJMLKTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Burley

"who ever is in power it never makes any difference to our daily lives or finances....so its a big no from me , no interest.

£500 fine if ya cats not chipped

folk cant use there car if its not ulez compliant so cant go shopping .

Bangin on about building millions of homes a year that are un affordable for people that need homes.

electric cars that folk cant even afford to buy let alone afford to charge/install the equipment to charge it.

and a million other things that are ridiculous. "

I couldn't agree more. There's nothing that any of them will actually do that will make any difference to my day-to-day life whatsoever. For those that say "if you don't vote, you have no right to complain" - total bollocks. I'm English - complaining is in my nature, and is my right! It never makes any difference anyway and just turns people into whiny depressos.

By *igNick1381Man 3 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

The grand sum total will bitching about labour instead of bitching about the Tories

We bitched about Thatcher and Major we bitched about Blair and Brown

We bitched about....fuck, there's been so many. I didn't think this through lol

By *melie LALWoman 3 weeks ago

Peterborough

I thought the politics forum would be on fire ahead of a GE, but it's like a graveyard. What's going on? Apathy and politics are poor bedfellows."

Many members moan about the similarities between the parties merely because the two main parties are more centre this time around. Labour knows they won't get in without being left of centre. Conservatives have crawled towards right of centre with repeated change of leaders and with socialist input, furlough case in point.

The tories have still shown their true colours through nepotism, and so-called welfare reform.

We need a change. The tories don't even know who they are, shown by defecting to labour/reform or simply standing down.

Give Labour a chance - they really cannot do any worse.

Many members moan about the similarities between the parties merely because the two main parties are more centre this time around. Labour knows they won't get in without being left of centre. Conservatives have crawled towards right of centre with repeated change of leaders and with socialist input, furlough case in point.

The tories have still shown their true colours through nepotism, and so-called welfare reform.

We need a change. The tories don't even know who they are, shown by defecting to labour/reform or simply standing down.

Give Labour a chance - they really cannot do any worse."

I don’t like Starmer but I agree with you.

By *ty31Man 3 weeks ago

NW London

"

I'm refusing point blank to vote for Labour on account on the absolute mess Sad Dick is making of London.

Cumbria

"

I'm refusing point blank to vote for Labour on account on the absolute mess Sad Dick is making of London."

Sad Dick, are you 12?

Birmingham

I don’t think so.

Starmer is a very weak man. The country will just be led by the morning’s media headlines. Whichever way the wind is blowing at 6am will be what Starmer will be doing that day.

The country desperately needs economic growth. Nobody in the Labour Party has a clue about business.

By *ty31Man 3 weeks ago

NW London

"

I'm refusing point blank to vote for Labour on account on the absolute mess Sad Dick is making of London.

Sad Dick, are you 12?"

No I really just can't stand or respect the cunt.

By *roadShoulderzMan 3 weeks ago

Petersfield

I think you have forgotten Johnson aka "the shopping trolley" who said The Daily Telegraph was "his boss".

And to quote Johnson again "FUCK BUSINESS".

and Lettuce Liz didn't even know the first thing about business...

I don’t think so.

Starmer is a very weak man. The country will just be led by the morning’s media headlines. Whichever way the wind is blowing at 6am will be what Starmer will be doing that day.

The country desperately needs economic growth. Nobody in the Labour Party has a clue about business. "

After what the TORIES did to it?

Peterborough

"

I'm refusing point blank to vote for Labour on account on the absolute mess Sad Dick is making of London."

So you think mayoral politics are akin to governmental?

Peterborough

I don’t think so.

The country desperately needs economic growth. Nobody in the Labour Party has a clue about business. "

I suppose Rachel knows nothing about economics either

Peterborough

"

Sad Dick, are you 12?

No I really just can't stand or respect the cunt."

I'm sure he won't lose sleep, especially as being re-elected recently

Peterborough

I don’t think so.

The country desperately needs economic growth. Nobody in the Labour Party has a clue about business.

After what the TORIES did to it?"

Some people you cannot reason with.

Birmingham

I don’t think so.

I suppose Rachel knows nothing about economics either "

I find it very difficult to listen to Reeves or Starmer for more than about 60 seconds. I just get overwhelmed by how boring they are.

I know people say they are like bank managers but that is quite an insult to bank managers I think.

All the TORIES do is drive up house prices by giving welfare to homeowners for DOING SFA.

By *ockforplay66Man 3 weeks ago

Southampton/isle of wight/ everywhere

No, not interested in the slightest - lost all faith in politics, regardless of which party, many years ago

Cumbria

I don’t think so.

I find it very difficult to listen to Reeves or Starmer for more than about 60 seconds. I just get overwhelmed by how boring they are.

I know people say they are like bank managers but that is quite an insult to bank managers I think."

I’d be quite happy to have boring people who know what they are doing running the country. It will make a pleasant change from the last 14 years.

By *ty31Man 3 weeks ago

NW London

"

So you think mayoral politics are akin to governmental?"

Yes. I simply can't trust Labour.

I doubt very much that I will vote.

Peterborough

"All the TORIES do is drive up house prices by giving welfare to homeowners for DOING SFA."

How on earth do you get to this conclusion?

Peterborough

I don’t think so.

I know people say they are like bank managers but that is quite an insult to bank managers I think.

I’d be quite happy to have boring people who know what they are doing running the country. It will make a pleasant change from the last 14 years."

Dawn right.

Birmingham

I don’t think so.

I’d be quite happy to have boring people who know what they are doing running the country. It will make a pleasant change from the last 14 years."

How do you conclude that Labour will know what they are doing? What experience of government do they have?

Starmer was a legal bureaucrat and Reeves a Bank of England and bank economist (whatever happened to HBOS?). Does that rather ivory tower experience translate to national leadership?

As Prime Minister one needs to inspire people and lead a nation. Starmer is a wet rag.

He has a different policy for every day of the week and depending on who he is talking to.

I mean don’t get me wrong I don’t think the Tories are much better and personally I won’t be voting. Policy wise there is virtually no difference between the Parties and there certainly won’t be in practice.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

"All the TORIES do is drive up house prices by giving welfare to homeowners for DOING SFA."

PRS landlords receive a large proportion of housing benefit.

But the state has sold off 2.5 million social rented homes at one time discounts on right to buy and not replaced them.

Now the state is reliant on private rented homes. In the 1970’s. 42% of uk dwellings were council owned, today that is nearer 12%, and 5 million privately rented

Reap what you sow.

I am not sure this is what you were meaning and it should be borne is mind the extra tax’s the Tory government put on landlords, which labour did not.

The treasury benefit from private rented housing stock, they do not benefit from social housing.

The net value of UK is stated by the ONS at £13 trn. Of which £9ttn (gross including mortgages), or £7trn net excluding mortgages is characterised by housing. Housing is worth more than the combined values of all savings, businesses and pension funds. Not a good allocation of the countries finances and the reason successive governments bring out policies to keep the market prices high. A substantial correction would have disasterous consequences for the uk.

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/private-landlords-to-receive-six-times-more-than-the-government-spends-on-affordable-housing-in-five-years-84990

Brighton

I don’t think so.

I’d be quite happy to have boring people who know what they are doing running the country. It will make a pleasant change from the last 14 years.

How do you conclude that Labour will know what they are doing? What experience of government do they have?

Starmer was a legal bureaucrat and Reeves a Bank of England and bank economist (whatever happened to HBOS?). Does that rather ivory tower experience translate to national leadership?

As Prime Minister one needs to inspire people and lead a nation. Starmer is a wet rag.

He has a different policy for every day of the week and depending on who he is talking to.

I mean don’t get me wrong I don’t think the Tories are much better and personally I won’t be voting. Policy wise there is virtually no difference between the Parties and there certainly won’t be in practice.

"

You may want to look into the career history of most politicians, including our current PM who was a gambler, ooops, hedge fund manager who contributed to the financial crash in 2007/8.

Peterborough

I don’t think so.

"

This bugs me! The opposition party HAS to change their pledges/aims/policies according to what the govt does. It would be foolish otherwise.

Cumbria

I don’t think so.

"

The Tories have 14 years experience of government, and they’ve destroyed the country. Maybe experience isn’t the be all and end all?

By *ools and the brainCouple 3 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

All the leaflets through our door are just about saying what the other local parties are doing wrong,finger pointing and moaning.

I want a party who's going to get on with sorting shit out not constantly trying to score brownie points and fuck each other over.

The Tories have been in disarray for a few years now, lacking stability and strong leadership.

I genuinely can't be arsed to trawl through every manifesto but will have to,they don't make it easy for the hard of thinking like myself to understand what they are standing for.

By *hropshireGentMan 3 weeks ago

shropshire

No matter who gets in, if you think the country is run badly and in a poor state now, wait another 5 years. I don’t think any party is capable of running the country at the moment

By *ostindreamsMan 3 weeks ago

London

"All the leaflets through our door are just about saying what the other local parties are doing wrong,finger pointing and moaning.

I want a party who's going to get on with sorting shit out not constantly trying to score brownie points and fuck each other over.

"

That's pretty much what I saw in London mayor elections too. There were only a couple of independents who just talked about what they will do to improve London. Everyone else was more about trash talking others and less about how they will improve London.

By *erryspringerMan 3 weeks ago

Glasgow

It will probably be the first election I will choose not to vote in. Despite preaching to my children about the importance of using a right that, many people around the world don't have, and a right that many people died to win.

I can't put a Rizla paper between Labour and the Conservative in term of what I think they represent. The Liberals are just not claiming the centre ground like they should. All I hear hear here in Scotland is about getting the SNP out.

Like many have already said. There is no party for the average bloke anymore. Its all about either your extreme on one side or the other.

Is it TOO controversial to have a boring Government that JUST governs instead of the thieves, racist, narcissists and psychopaths that have picked the carcass clean since 1979?

Brighton

"All the leaflets through our door are just about saying what the other local parties are doing wrong,finger pointing and moaning.

The Tories have been in disarray for a few years now, lacking stability and strong leadership.

I genuinely can't be arsed to trawl through every manifesto but will have to,they don't make it easy for the hard of thinking like myself to understand what they are standing for."

Total kudos for having “sort shit out” and “brownie points” in the same sentence!

The Lib Dems are committed to “sorting shit out” literally! By replacing Ofwat and tackling the water companies/exec bonuses.

Brighton

"It will probably be the first election I will choose not to vote in. Despite preaching to my children about the importance of using a right that, many people around the world don't have, and a right that many people died to win.

I can't put a Rizla paper between Labour and the Conservative in term of what I think they represent. The Liberals are just not claiming the centre ground like they should. All I hear hear here in Scotland is about getting the SNP out.

Like many have already said. There is no party for the average bloke anymore. Its all about either your extreme on one side or the other.

"

The Lib Dems are pretty much centre on most things I’d say?

Brighton

"Is it TOO controversial to have a boring Government that JUST governs instead of the thieves, racist, narcissists and psychopaths that have picked the carcass clean since 1979?"

"It will probably be the first election I will choose not to vote in. Despite preaching to my children about the importance of using a right that, many people around the world don't have, and a right that many people died to win.

"

1832 might as well have never happened with that attitude-men fought for centuries to have their voices heard & their views taken seriously:political life has DELIBERATELY been debased to the point apathy will win elections for them….at least vote tactically.

If you REALLY don’t care then you should be ashamed of yourself & you WILL get the government you DON’T want.

Glasgow

The Lib Dems are pretty much centre on most things I’d say?"

I voted Lib Democrats in 2010 when they formed a coalition government. My local MP was Joe Swinson who became the Post Office minister. She seems to have got of lightly, because I have ot good authority she knew more about the Horizon scandal she is letting on.

But its a party that compromised its values to get their feet under the table.

Glasgow

Then you have politicians like this who are chairman of a party..

https://youtu.be/HYlX5WkjiQQ?si=DKXa2bwtYSdAldQA

Peterborough

"

Extreme? Neither Labour nor tory are extreme wings at present. Unless you want to count nepotism, sleaze, and self serving as extremisms.

Brighton

I voted Lib Democrats in 2010 when they formed a coalition government. My local MP was Joe Swinson who became the Post Office minister. She seems to have got of lightly, because I have ot good authority she knew more about the Horizon scandal she is letting on.

But its a party that compromised its values to get their feet under the table. "

They did indeed but one would hope they have learned their lesson. Unless of course Nick Clegg’s mega salary post MP career is too attractive!

Would they have “compromised their values” if they went into coalition with Labour in 2010?

Pershore

Extreme? Neither Labour nor tory are extreme wings at present. Unless you want to count nepotism, sleaze, and self serving as extremisms."

Thankfully, you're right, but general apathy towards politics is a slippery slope. If nobody cares about our politicians, extremism is exactly what we'll get.

Birmingham

I don’t think so.

The Tories have 14 years experience of government, and they’ve destroyed the country. Maybe experience isn’t the be all and end all?"

In what way have they “destroyed the country”?

I’m not a fan of this government either but it’s not exactly Gaza out there.

I don’t think so.

The Tories have 14 years experience of government, and they’ve destroyed the country. Maybe experience isn’t the be all and end all?

I’m not a fan of this government either but it’s not exactly Gaza out there."

Yet.

Pershore

I don’t think so.

If anything, we've seen how resilient our nation is in the face of Brexit, Pandemic, Liz Truss, two wars. It's not all bad news, although I accept any good news is despite the Tories not because of them.

Glasgow

I don’t think so.

Nice to see the bar set so high. Good we can always have a place to compare who are worse of than us. Give it a football analogy. A Manchester United fan saying what are you moaning about, we are not as bad as Doncaster Rovers.

Cumbria

But its a party that compromised its values to get their feet under the table.

They did indeed but one would hope they have learned their lesson. Unless of course Nick Clegg’s mega salary post MP career is too attractive!

Would they have “compromised their values” if they went into coalition with Labour in 2010?"

We’ll never know, although generally LibDem policies are generally more left leaning than right, so that should say something.

Cumbria

I don’t think so.

Highest taxation for 70 years, NHS waiting lists the longest for decades, massively expensive privatised railways that provide an appalling service when they aren’t stopped by strikes. Shit in our waterways, and in our actual drinking water in some areas. Hundreds of thousands using foodbanks…

Glasgow

I don’t think so.

Highest taxation for 70 years, NHS waiting lists the longest for decades, massively expensive privatised railways that provide an appalling service when they aren’t stopped by strikes. Shit in our waterways, and in our actual drinking water in some areas. Hundreds of thousands using foodbanks…"

But it could be Gaza

I don’t think so.

Highest taxation for 70 years, NHS waiting lists the longest for decades, massively expensive privatised railways that provide an appalling service when they aren’t stopped by strikes. Shit in our waterways, and in our actual drinking water in some areas. Hundreds of thousands using foodbanks…

But it could be Gaza "

To The TORIES this is success….

in Lancashire

I don’t think so.

But it could be Gaza "

He does get unfairly criticised but oh my that goal against Scotland..

Peterborough

I don’t think so.

If anything, we've seen how resilient our nation is in the face of Brexit, Pandemic, Liz Truss, two wars. It's not all bad news, although I accept any good news is despite the Tories not because of them."

Glasgow

I don’t think so.

But it could be Gaza

He does get unfairly criticised but oh my that goal against Scotland.. "

We let him score, just so he wouldn't start crying again..

Peterborough

I don’t think so.

But it could be Gaza "

Poor analogy, that is unless you want an uprising? We're not fighting and we're not being bombed by a foreign power.

Glasgow

I don’t think so.

But it could be Gaza

Poor analogy, that is unless you want an uprising? We're not fighting and we're not being bombed by a foreign power."

Not my argument, just something mentioned earlier in the thread which I presumed you missed.

in Lancashire

I don’t think so.

But it could be Gaza

He does get unfairly criticised but oh my that goal against Scotland..

We let him score, just so he wouldn't start crying again.. "

Brighton

I don’t think so.

But it could be Gaza "

Ah the old “it could always be worse!” argument. Love it

Peterborough

I don’t think so.

But it could be Gaza

Poor analogy, that is unless you want an uprising? We're not fighting and we're not being bombed by a foreign power.

Not my argument, just something mentioned earlier in the thread which I presumed you missed."

Didn't miss it, but I don't always take note of those posting. I thought you posted the original "Gaza" too.

By *mateur100Man 3 weeks ago

nr faversham

I'm watching rishi and, no matter the question, he's trying to get back to the same 4 or 5 taglines. Starmer is the same so I can understand anyone no longer interested. I remember the days when an interview was a conversation, not just a set of pre-prepared answers to roll out to whatever the question

Peterborough

"I'm watching rishi and, no matter the question, he's trying to get back to the same 4 or 5 taglines. Starmer is the same so I can understand anyone no longer interested. I remember the days when an interview was a conversation, not just a set of pre-prepared answers to roll out to whatever the question "

Hopefully on iPlayer, I'll watch tomorrow. Caught a couple of minutes on the news of Rishi. That guy must rehearse set paragraphs in front of the mirror and reels them out.

On second thoughts it was an android and someone controls which recording has to respond to the question.

Point: his lines don't deviate.

Peterborough

In other words amateur, I agree with you re sunak.

By *iberius61Man 3 weeks ago

Pontefract

Like many people I'm not really interested in it, but that leads to a problem sadly. When the majority of standard middle of the road type people lose interest, that's when we see the rise of the extremists as they are always interested.

Pershore

"Like many people I'm not really interested in it, but that leads to a problem sadly. When the majority of standard middle of the road type people lose interest, that's when we see the rise of the extremists as they are always interested."

Exactly this If ordinary people are disinterested in politics, the national agenda will be seized by minority interest parties. Then what?

By *CBoyTV/TS 3 weeks ago

Penygraig

I made my mind up years ago. They ate all self serving tossers but some are clearly more self serving than others. I try to avoid listening to any media coverage as its harmful to my blood pressure.

Peterborough

"I made my mind up years ago. They ate all self serving tossers but some are clearly more self serving than others. I try to avoid listening to any media coverage as its harmful to my blood pressure. "

And we need the less self serving in govt.

Pontefract

"I made my mind up years ago. They ate all self serving tossers but some are clearly more self serving than others. I try to avoid listening to any media coverage as its harmful to my blood pressure. "

Honestly I know a couple of national politicians and several local ones. In general this isn't the case, I don't doubt there are a few, but honestly the majority believe in what they are doing, even if I don't agree with their views, I will acknowledge that.

Brighton

"Like many people I'm not really interested in it, but that leads to a problem sadly. When the majority of standard middle of the road type people lose interest, that's when we see the rise of the extremists as they are always interested.

Exactly this If ordinary people are disinterested in politics, the national agenda will be seized by minority interest parties. Then what?"

2nd this. The centre ground is essential but so many voters are increasingly apathetic and/or are not seeing a completely obvious box for their tick.

Many people want change. Many see the Tories as a busted flush. However, they remain unsure or untrusting of Labour and with FPTP there is no alternative!

By *astandFeistyCouple 3 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"Like many people I'm not really interested in it, but that leads to a problem sadly. When the majority of standard middle of the road type people lose interest, that's when we see the rise of the extremists as they are always interested.

Exactly this If ordinary people are disinterested in politics, the national agenda will be seized by minority interest parties. Then what?

2nd this. The centre ground is essential but so many voters are increasingly apathetic and/or are not seeing a completely obvious box for their tick.

Many people want change. Many see the Tories as a busted flush. However, they remain unsure or untrusting of Labour and with FPTP there is no alternative!"

To add to this -

If you dare to publicly support another party you're mocked or called all sorts of names, true for both sides of the debate. The Lib Dems largely avoid that by claiming the real centre but even they get some shit from both sides.

in Lancashire

Many people want change. Many see the Tories as a busted flush. However, they remain unsure or untrusting of Labour and with FPTP there is no alternative!

To add to this -

If you dare to publicly support another party you're mocked or called all sorts of names, true for both sides of the debate. The Lib Dems largely avoid that by claiming the real centre but even they get some shit from both sides. "

Can't disagree with the above, it's the result of those in power both here and in other places that seek division in ours and other society's and it won't stop after this GE..

Will predict however that the phrase 'you lost, get over it' that this and other forums were awash with post Brexit won't be freely chucked about..

Said before that there won't be many changes in the next parliament that will satisfy those on all sides that seem to think magic wands can be waved with a change of colour in government..

Brighton

To add to this -

If you dare to publicly support another party you're mocked or called all sorts of names, true for both sides of the debate. The Lib Dems largely avoid that by claiming the real centre but even they get some shit from both sides. "

Is that a reference to the Reform candidate supported neutrality against Hitler thread?

I think posters defending that ill-conceived position and statement deserved a ribbing.

What that thread didn’t do (and wasn’t designed to do) was give any insight into what Reform or their supporter really stand for.

They should have the strength of their ideological convictions (Reform AND their supporters on here) to put forward their case.

Would love to see manifesto threads here for all parties.

So far, my very high level, take away is:

1. The Greens are clearly Socialist and proud of it.

2. The Lib Dems make mostly sensible pragmatic and centrist policy choices but nobody votes for them as seen as a bit of a joke (and still not forgiven for 2010).

3. The Tories are desperate and living in Liz Truss La La Land again.

4. Labour are evasive and make people uneasy as still not sure they can be trusted.

Birmingham

To add to this -

If you dare to publicly support another party you're mocked or called all sorts of names, true for both sides of the debate. The Lib Dems largely avoid that by claiming the real centre but even they get some shit from both sides.

Is that a reference to the Reform candidate supported neutrality against Hitler thread?

I think posters defending that ill-conceived position and statement deserved a ribbing.

What that thread didn’t do (and wasn’t designed to do) was give any insight into what Reform or their supporter really stand for.

They should have the strength of their ideological convictions (Reform AND their supporters on here) to put forward their case.

2. The Lib Dems make mostly sensible pragmatic and centrist policy choices but nobody votes for them as seen as a bit of a joke (and still not forgiven for 2010).

4. Labour are evasive and make people uneasy as still not sure they can be trusted."

We basically have three extreme left parties (Labour, Greens, LibDems), a left of centre party (Conservatives) and a right of centre party (Reform).

It’s basically like living in the USSR. “We are a democracy. You can vote for any member of the Communist Party that you choose”!

Brighton

To add to this -

4. Labour are evasive and make people uneasy as still not sure they can be trusted.

We basically have three extreme left parties (Labour, Greens, LibDems), a left of centre party (Conservatives) and a right of centre party (Reform).

It’s basically like living in the USSR. “We are a democracy. You can vote for any member of the Communist Party that you choose”!"

Codswallop! I think you need to adjust your Overton Window.

in Lancashire

To add to this -

It’s basically like living in the USSR. “We are a democracy. You can vote for any member of the Communist Party that you choose”!"

That you think we have any extreme left parties and reform are anywhere near the centre is telling but not really a surprise..

Bournemouth

To add to this -

4. Labour are evasive and make people uneasy as still not sure they can be trusted."

It wasn't a reference to that particular thread but it does fall into it. Even way before that thread, in fact I remember posting months ago about Reforms ideas and was batted away with 'they just want more division etc etc. The greens are ridiculed as fantasists who have no grasp on reality too.

Can you tell me what the Tories or Labour really stand for?

Pershore

To add to this -

It wasn't a reference to that particular thread but it does fall into it. Even way before that thread, in fact I remember posting months ago about Reforms ideas and was batted away with 'they just want more division etc etc. The greens are ridiculed as fantasists who have no grasp on reality too.

Can you tell me what the Tories or Labour really stand for?"

They stand for broadly centrist policies I guess. But if that's what the electorate want, democracy is working as it should, right?

in Lancashire

Farage throughout his politics has only sought to further division, often because there are people who will fund that to his own benefit..

Birmingham

To add to this -

Can you tell me what the Tories or Labour really stand for?

They stand for broadly centrist policies I guess. But if that's what the electorate want, democracy is working as it should, right?"

I think I’d be inclined to check the turnout at this election before we can assume that the new government represents the wishes of the electorate.

I’m somehow doubtful that Labour is going to get anywhere near 50% of the total electorate voting for it, even if one assumes that 51% is a mandate.

Bournemouth

"Farage throughout his politics has only sought to further division, often because there are people who will fund that to his own benefit..

"

Sought division or spoken a language that resonates?

I guess it depends on where you sit yourself.

in Lancashire

"Farage throughout his politics has only sought to further division, often because there are people who will fund that to his own benefit..

I guess it depends on where you sit yourself. "

It does with some yes..

I don't sit with anyone who uses the propaganda of the third Reich to demonise anyone personally but yes some do think that's 'ok'..

Bournemouth

It does with some yes..

I don't sit with anyone who uses the propaganda of the third Reich to demonise anyone personally but yes some do think that's 'ok'.."

You definitely missed the actual point of what I said but cool...

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

To add to this -

There would be no reform party if the 2 main parties actually worked out to deliver fixes for the key points of electorate concerns, which are:

Economy

Health

Immigration

Environment

Crime & Policing

The reform party is forthright in their views and do not appear to use gimmicky language to explain their position. This appeals to a lot of people, they also appeal to many people who see labour as too weak at dealing with the above, whilst running out of patience with the tories, who haven’t delivered.

in Lancashire

"

I think I’d be inclined to check the turnout at this election before we can assume that the new government represents the wishes of the electorate.

I’m somehow doubtful that Labour is going to get anywhere near 50% of the total electorate voting for it, even if one assumes that 51% is a mandate."

Low turnout is an issue but it's not a new phenomenon, apathy especially amongst the young is a problem but perhaps understandable when they see the grey vote being wooed and what for some of them are punitive policies for their generation..

51% is a majority but you know that.

in Lancashire

It does with some yes..

I don't sit with anyone who uses the propaganda of the third Reich to demonise anyone personally but yes some do think that's 'ok'..

You definitely missed the actual point of what I said but cool..."

No I didn't and that's also cool..

Bournemouth

It does with some yes..

No I didn't and that's also cool.. "

If you understood it, do you care to address it? You're obviously under no obligation but if you opt not to, I'll have to think you're not actually as clever as you think you may be.

in Lancashire

It does with some yes..

If you understood it, do you care to address it? You're obviously under no obligation but if you opt not to, I'll have to think you're not actually as clever as you think you may be. "

Tbh it's out there whom he has shared a stage with and who he shares extreme views with, that's not exactly news..

His division appeals to some who only seek to hate others and want a handy scapegoat for life's ups and downs..

Which we've seen throughout history..

Feisty, tbh what you think about myself is irrelevant beyond your own imagination of how others might perceive such things..

Bournemouth

It does with some yes..

If you understood it, do you care to address it? You're obviously under no obligation but if you opt not to, I'll have to think you're not actually as clever as you think you may be.

Tbh it's out there whom he has shared a stage with and who he shares extreme views with, that's not exactly news..

His division appeals to some who only seek to hate others and want a handy scapegoat for life's ups and downs..

Which we've seen throughout history..

Feisty, tbh what you think about myself is irrelevant beyond your own imagination of how others might perceive such things.."

I'm not trying to be 'relevant' but you can't engage in debate in good faith whilst avoiding questions.

I'll leave it there and remind myself not to take you too seriously on serious topics.

Brighton

Looks like the wagons have uncircled and normal service has resumed

Peterborough

To add to this -

There would be no reform party if the 2 main parties actually worked out to deliver fixes for the key points of electorate concerns, which are:

Economy

Health

Immigration

Environment

Crime & Policing

The reform party is forthright in their views and do not appear to use gimmicky language to explain their position. This appeals to a lot of people, they also appeal to many people who see labour as too weak at dealing with the above, whilst running out of patience with the tories, who haven’t delivered.

"

I think housing might fight for fifth place as a key issue.

Brighton

To add to this -

Economy

Health

Immigration

Environment

Crime & Policing

"

I mostly agree with this but not on the point of language. Has there manifesto been released? I’d like a read.

Pontefract

"I don't sit with anyone who uses the propaganda of the third Reich to demonise anyone personally but yes some do think that's 'ok'.."

Sadly there is now 1 or two generations of people who have no memory of the 3rd Reich and what it stood for. Nationalism is sadly on the rise again and many people do find something appealing in that

By *otMe66Man 3 weeks ago

Terra Firma

To add to this -

Economy

Health

Immigration

Environment

Crime & Policing

I mostly agree with this but not on the point of language. Has there manifesto been released? I’d like a read."

17th June: "Contract with the people"

Their policies should provide a glimpse of direction and language to expect.

Brighton

To add to this -

Economy

Health

Immigration

Environment

Crime & Policing

I mostly agree with this but not on the point of language. Has there manifesto been released? I’d like a read.

17th June: "Contract with the people"

Their policies should provide a glimpse of direction and language to expect.

"

I meant “their” of course

By *owestoft ManMan 3 weeks ago

Lowestoft

I personally don't care anymore.

However no matter what, I will be putting my vote on the papers. But I can say for one thing for certain, labor (misspelt on purpose due their complete and utter uselessness) will never get my vote ever. They have proven beyond and doubt they can't manage a countries economy and everything they say is we will we will but has never come true.

Birmingham

"I don't sit with anyone who uses the propaganda of the third Reich to demonise anyone personally but yes some do think that's 'ok'..

Sadly there is now 1 or two generations of people who have no memory of the 3rd Reich and what it stood for. Nationalism is sadly on the rise again and many people do find something appealing in that "

Certainly plenty of anti semitism on show in the UK, Europe and the US. All of it in the radical Left of course, which isn’t much of a surprise. Their tactics generally seem very redolent of Hitler’s SA, as we have seen from the recent attacks on parliamentary candidates.

Pershore

"I don't sit with anyone who uses the propaganda of the third Reich to demonise anyone personally but yes some do think that's 'ok'..

Sadly there is now 1 or two generations of people who have no memory of the 3rd Reich and what it stood for. Nationalism is sadly on the rise again and many people do find something appealing in that

Certainly plenty of anti semitism on show in the UK, Europe and the US. All of it in the radical Left of course, which isn’t much of a surprise. Their tactics generally seem very redolent of Hitler’s SA, as we have seen from the recent attacks on parliamentary candidates."

At the risk of going off topic, I'd have thought it was Israel's IDF doing the best impersonation of Hitler's SA these days.

Brighton

M

U

S

T

N

O

T

B

I

T

E

O

N

H

I

S

T

O

R

Y

Peterborough

Certainly plenty of anti semitism on show in the UK, Europe and the US. All of it in the radical Left of course, which isn’t much of a surprise. Their tactics generally seem very redolent of Hitler’s SA, as we have seen from the recent attacks on parliamentary candidates."

There's only one forumite that cracks on about the Nazis being left wing. Gotcha.

» Add a new message to this topic