FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > So now that Farage is standing as the Leader of Reform

So now that Farage is standing as the Leader of Reform

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple 4 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

It won't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome of the Election - or will it?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *melie LALWoman 4 weeks ago

Peterborough

Does that mean he is standing as an MP?

He stated on QT he wouldn't, as he'd need more than six weeks prep.

By *otMe66Man 4 weeks ago

Terra Firma

It would expect it to have more influence on the shape of the new tory party and the next GE, than this GE.

Oooops. Sorry I forgot the news link:

https://news.sky.com/story/election-latest-news-uk-sunak-starmer-tories-labour-live-12593360

By *idnight RamblerMan 4 weeks ago

Pershore

Abbott in, Farage in, who next? Mr Bean?

By *irldnCouple 4 weeks ago

Brighton

More votes taken away from the Tories I would say

By *coptoCouple 4 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

Well, if he is elected (eighth time lucky?) it’ll be no more than Clacton deserves… he’s the gurning equivalent of Katie Price, always in the news without actually doing anything worthwhile.

By *aribbean King 1985Man 4 weeks ago

South West London

This changes things quite a bit actually

Terra Firma

"This changes things quite a bit actually"

There will certainly be some angry people screaming racist and fascist every 30 seconds, come to think of it that doesn't change a lot.

By *rofessorMarcusMan 4 weeks ago

Chorley

I can see an increase sales in black roll neck sweaters if the leader gets in. . .

By *astandFeistyCouple 4 weeks ago

Bournemouth

I believe it will make a difference, I can now see Reform share of the vote increasing, taking votes from the Tories. It won't make any difference to Labour winning.

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 4 weeks ago

nearby

Labour 46% (–)

Conservative 20% (-3)

Reform UK 14% (+1)

Liberal Democrat 10% (+1)

Green 5% (–)

Scottish National Party 2% (-1)

Other 2% (-1)

Tories will loose a few more points to Farage.

By *mateur100Man 4 weeks ago

nr faversham

"I believe it will make a difference, I can now see Reform share of the vote increasing, taking votes from the Tories. It won't make any difference to Labour winning. "

And they'll probably poll higher than the lib Dems yet get no, maybe one, seat...will the Lib Dems still want PR?

By *ortyairCouple 4 weeks ago

Wallasey

According to YouGov poll the Tories will only win 140 seats, 25 fewer than in 1997 when Blair won.

Labour landslide maybe on the way.

Mrs x

"I believe it will make a difference, I can now see Reform share of the vote increasing, taking votes from the Tories. It won't make any difference to Labour winning.

And they'll probably poll higher than the lib Dems yet get no, maybe one, seat...will the Lib Dems still want PR?"

They are already the third party - from almost 6 days ago Libs Dems are Now the 'Party Party' anyways

Bournemouth

"Labour 46% (–)

Conservative 20% (-3)

Reform UK 14% (+1)

Liberal Democrat 10% (+1)

Green 5% (–)

Scottish National Party 2% (-1)

Other 2% (-1)

Tories will loose a few more points to Farage. "

I'm not sure it's possible for them to be opposition, Tories are far too established. However, we will see them take a decent share I think.

Whether they get seats or not is another thing entirely.

South West London

Anyways as much as I hate the Tories I'm definately not voting for Labour

By *ortyairCouple 4 weeks ago

Wallasey

"Anyways as much as I hate the Tories I'm definately not voting for Labour "
Who do you think you'll vote for?

Mrs x

By *abioMan 4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"It won't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome of the Election - or will it?

"

They might win 1 seat rather than 0….

Interesting that he cherry picked clacton as his target… I bet he had trouble finding it on a map before today!

Bournemouth

"It won't make a blind bit of difference to the outcome of the Election - or will it?

Interesting that he cherry picked clacton as his target… I bet he had trouble finding it on a map before today! "

I'd imagine he found it very easily being that it's the only place his party won a seat.

By *abioMan 4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Interesting that he cherry picked clacton as his target… I bet he had trouble finding it on a map before today! "

Let’s see this time… if he can win the seat… he can go a whole parliamentary term without committing expenses fraud… allegedly….

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 4 weeks ago

golden fields

"This changes things quite a bit actually

There will certainly be some angry people screaming racist and fascist every 30 seconds, come to think of it that doesn't change a lot."

Which way around, does him standing for Reform pull them down to his level, or vice versa?

By *abioMan 4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I believe it will make a difference, I can now see Reform share of the vote increasing, taking votes from the Tories. It won't make any difference to Labour winning.

And they'll probably poll higher than the lib Dems yet get no, maybe one, seat...will the Lib Dems still want PR?

They are already the third party - from almost 6 days ago Libs Dems are Now the 'Party Party' anyways"

Actually… the Lib Dem’s are the ones who are going to take out a lot of the southern and south western blue wall… if they get 35-40 seats it will have been the beginning of the comeback

Terra Firma

Has he done a Galloway?

Brighton

So you keep saying. At every single opportunity. We get it. We really do!

They are already the third party - from almost 6 days ago Libs Dems are Now the 'Party Party' anyways

Actually… the Lib Dem’s are the ones who are going to take out a lot of the southern and south western blue wall… if they get 35-40 seats it will have been the beginning of the comeback "

If only we had a credible 3rd Party. I think that the only comeback that the Lib Dems are going to do is to come back up the motorway in the Big Yellow Bus and hand it back to the rental company. It might take them a while to unload all the party toys, however. (TIC)

Terra Firma

There will certainly be some angry people screaming racist and fascist every 30 seconds, come to think of it that doesn't change a lot.

Which way around, does him standing for Reform pull them down to his level, or vice versa?"

Every time his name is mentioned it is usually followed by those comments and I have not seen any evidence to back them up.

You are going to find that hard to believe but if you can find anywhere he has been racist, I would love to see it.

By *oncupiscentTonyMan 4 weeks ago

Kent

"More votes taken away from the Tories I would say"

Near 25k Tory majority to overturn, the Labour candidate should send him a bottle of scotch

Brighton

I think colour theory comes into it. Blue and Red are much stronger colours than Yellow. Think of the home kit of many of the most successful football clubs.

Or I’m talking crap

Kent

Which way around, does him standing for Reform pull them down to his level, or vice versa?

Every time his name is mentioned it is usually followed by those comments and I have not seen any evidence to back them up.

You are going to find that hard to believe but if you can find anywhere he has been racist, I would love to see it."

You could start with his interview regarding the national service policy announcement and Muslims last weekend

Kent

"I think colour theory comes into it. Blue and Red are much stronger colours than Yellow. Think of the home kit of many of the most successful football clubs.

Or I’m talking crap "

Brazil?

Terra Firma

You are going to find that hard to believe but if you can find anywhere he has been racist, I would love to see it.

You could start with his interview regarding the national service policy announcement and Muslims last weekend "

What did say that was racist?

[Removed by poster at 03/06/24 18:41:06]

"I think colour theory comes into it. Blue and Red are much stronger colours than Yellow. Think of the home kit of many of the most successful football clubs.

Or I’m talking crap "

That depends on if you are talking about additive or subtractive colour.

Pershore

Or I’m talking crap

Colour is an illusion. Everything is grey and the sense of colour exists only in our brain.

"

golden fields

You are going to find that hard to believe but if you can find anywhere he has been racist, I would love to see it."

I didn't comment on Farage's racism score/level.

I think I misread your original post that I replied to. Carry on.

Or I’m talking crap

Colour is an illusion. Everything is grey and the sense of colour exists only in our brain.

"

If you see red - you see red - however derived.

Brighton

Or I’m talking crap

Brazil?"

Outlier

Brighton

Or I’m talking crap

If you see red - you see red - however derived."

Plenty on here see red regularly but normally only when they actually see black and brown

Bournemouth

Or I’m talking crap

Brazil?

Outlier "

Germany

Kent

"

You could start with his interview regarding the national service policy announcement and Muslims last weekend

What did say that was racist?"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/26/nigel-farage-under-fire-said-muslims-not-share-british-values

Remember when he was late for an interview because immigrants were clogging up the motorway?, still you wouldn't want a Romanian living next door would you

By *AFKA HovisMan 4 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Does this make him the new poster boy for flip flop u turns?

Kent

Or I’m talking crap

Brazil?

Outlier

Germany"

Madrid

Brighton

Or I’m talking crap

Brazil?

Outlier

Germany

Madrid "

Not yellow

Bournemouth

Or I’m talking crap

Brazil?

Outlier

Germany

Madrid

Not yellow "

Tbf Germany and Madrid are both white, that's not even a real colour

nearby

Tim Montgomerie interviewed on BBC confident Farage will win Clacton.

By *anifestoMan 4 weeks ago

dublin

Why?

Not being smart or anything, from where I am KS seems like a decent bloke doing a decent job. Yet there's quite a lot of blowback here and on socials to this affect.

Curious to see why the man (or woman) on the street thinks this way.

nr faversham

"Why?

Not being smart or anything, from where I am KS seems like a decent bloke doing a decent job. Yet there's quite a lot of blowback here and on socials to this affect.

Anyways as much as I hate the Tories I'm definately not voting for Labour "

I too think he's a decent bloke BUT my concern, and that of a lot of friends and colleagues, is that 6-12 months into a labour government, momentum and the left will take over. That's a fair comment and concern

Peterborough

"Abbott in, Farage in, who next? Mr Bean?"

Please don't say bojo is back

Peterborough

Or I’m talking crap "

Yeah

Add it to blue and you get green, add it to red and you get Trump

By *eavenNhellCouple 4 weeks ago

carrbrook stalybridge

They are already the third party - from almost 6 days ago Libs Dems are Now the 'Party Party' anyways"

reform arent a party they are a company of which he is the ceo .one wonders how much Trumps convictions have suddenly changed his plans to go help him win the presidency ? Never one to miss an opportunity is farage always good for his bank balance

By *eroy1000Man 4 weeks ago

milton keynes

"

It won't stop Labour winning in my opinion. Probably this is worse news for the conservatives than Labour but not just for the election but also what comes afterwards. If Reform continue to grow we may see more conservatives jump ship. Quite likely Reform will get quite a few votes but will not get seats to reflect them.

By *enSiskoMan 4 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Watching his interview on C4 news I learned that reform are not a political party, rather reform is a LTD company which Farage is the major shareholder.

See what a farce this all is, just a joke no wonder I see them laughing all the time.

Pershore

"Watching his interview on C4 news I learned that reform are not a political party, rather reform is a LTD company which Farage is the major shareholder.

See what a farce this all is, just a joke no wonder I see them laughing all the time."

It is a farce. BUT...we have to understand what is fuelling Farage and Reform's ongoing popularity. Why are so many people disillusioned with the established political order? Trump thrives on exactly the same mood. It tells us something is wrong.

golden fields

"Watching his interview on C4 news I learned that reform are not a political party, rather reform is a LTD company which Farage is the major shareholder.

See what a farce this all is, just a joke no wonder I see them laughing all the time.

It is a farce. BUT...we have to understand what is fuelling Farage and Reform's ongoing popularity. Why are so many people disillusioned with the established political order? Trump thrives on exactly the same mood. It tells us something is wrong."

This is a good question. Why are people pushed into believing that foriegners and immigrants (with no money and no political power) cause all their problems, when those with all the power and money aren't?

Why are people pushed to believe that climate science isn't real. And that we'll somehow be better off if the government spends even more time and money serving the needs of the fossil fuels industry.

Why are people so easily convinced that any politician or party that actually wants to attempt to serve the interests of the British people, is the enemy?

Peterborough

It is a farce. BUT...we have to understand what is fuelling Farage and Reform's ongoing popularity. Why are so many people disillusioned with the established political order? Trump thrives on exactly the same mood. It tells us something is wrong.

This is a good question. Why are people pushed into believing that foriegners and immigrants (with no money and no political power) cause all their problems, when those with all the power and money aren't?

Why are people pushed to believe that climate science isn't real. And that we'll somehow be better off if the government spends even more time and money serving the needs of the fossil fuels industry.

Why are people so easily convinced that any politician or party that actually wants to attempt to serve the interests of the British people, is the enemy?"

1. Scapegoating.

2. Greed.

3. To CONSERVE the status quote of capitalism and the rich getting richer. It is not a coincidence that CONSERVatives are so-called.

By *enSiskoMan 4 weeks ago

Cestus 3

Why are people so easily convinced that any politician or party that actually wants to attempt to serve the interests of the British people, is the enemy?

1. Scapegoating.

2. Greed.

3. To CONSERVE the status quote of capitalism and the rich getting richer. It is not a coincidence that CONSERVatives are so-called."

I would agree with the above.

By *abioMan 4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Anyone else seen an interesting quote doing the rounds from an interview farage did in February with that notorious communist rag.. the times

“Richard Tice probably does want me to replace him. But do I want to be an MP? Do I want to spend every Friday for the next five years in clacton?”

Peterborough

1. Scapegoating.

2. Greed.

3. To CONSERVE the status quote of capitalism and the rich getting richer. It is not a coincidence that CONSERVatives are so-called.

I would agree with the above."

Status quo! Bloody predictive text.

By *hocolate37Man 4 weeks ago

Heathrow

"Anyone else seen an interesting quote doing the rounds from an interview farage did in February with that notorious communist rag.. the times

“Richard Tice probably does want me to replace him. But do I want to be an MP? Do I want to spend every Friday for the next five years in clacton?”

"

Please also see radio presenter (and ex-prospective election candidate) Iain Dale, last week re. Tunbridge Wells...

By *oo hotCouple 4 weeks ago

North West

Why are people so easily convinced that any politician or party that actually wants to attempt to serve the interests of the British people, is the enemy?"

Farage wants to send a message to the “political establishment” (which of course doesn’t mean him despite being in politics for 30+ years).

I don’t know why so many people continue to salivate over his simplistic political messages. It used to be said that UKIP represented simple politics for simple people, and Farage seems to be doing the same thing all over again.

Brexit was meant to be the simple solution and it is costing the country 4% of its GDP and has resulted in the issuing of 2.4 million non-EU visas in the last two years and we still have unsustainable vacancies in the NHS, Care and farming sectors.

There are no simple solutions.

Anyone who votes for simple solutions should be made to feel the consequences of their own idiocy… I wish.

nearby

Farage wants to send a message to the “political establishment” (which of course doesn’t mean him despite being in politics for 30+ years).

I don’t know why so many people continue to salivate over his simplistic political messages. It used to be said that UKIP represented simple politics for simple people, and Farage seems to be doing the same thing all over again.

Brexit was meant to be the simple solution and it is costing the country 4% of its GDP and has resulted in the issuing of 2.4 million non-EU visas in the last two years and we still have unsustainable vacancies in the NHS, Care and farming sectors.

Anyone who votes for simple solutions should be made to feel the consequences of their own idiocy… I wish.

"

Farage standing ensures the campaigning will be a tear up and hopefully 4th July an end of the tories for a generation. Sunak and Starmer will fill their pants if they have to debate the economy and immigration with Farage.

Peterborough

Farage standing ensures the campaigning will be a tear up and hopefully 4th July an end of the tories for a generation. Sunak and Starmer will fill their pants if they have to debate the economy and immigration with Farage. "

The most we can expect is two terms, three would be a bonus, four a fairy tale

golden fields

Farage standing ensures the campaigning will be a tear up and hopefully 4th July an end of the tories for a generation. Sunak and Starmer will fill their pants if they have to debate the economy and immigration with Farage. "

Why?

Farage is, and let's be fair, shit at debating.

North West

Farage standing ensures the campaigning will be a tear up and hopefully 4th July an end of the tories for a generation. Sunak and Starmer will fill their pants if they have to debate the economy and immigration with Farage.

Why?

Farage is, and let's be fair, shit at debating."

And his simplistic solutions offer no answers to:

The economy

The cost of living crisis

The tax burden

Employee shortages

In fact, his simplistic solutions could realistically be contributing to those issues, but those who support him do not (or cannot) join the dots to understand actions and consequences.

I think that Farage could quite easily get tripped up in a debate about actions, consequences and details.

Pershore

Why?

The economy

The tax burden

Employee shortages

In fact, his simplistic solutions could realistically be contributing to those issues, but those who support him do not (or cannot) join the dots to understand actions and consequences.

I think that Farage could quite easily get tripped up in a debate about actions, consequences and details."

So what drives his enduring popularity?

By *estivalMan 4 weeks ago

borehamwood

a generation pmsl, if things havent improved even just a little bit labour will be out on there arse after one term, there only thing seems to be we aint as bad as the torys if after four or five years things are still the same they wont have we aint as bad as the tories to fall back on

nearby

10433 comments on Guardian politics thread at time of writing.

90% of them focused on Farage.

Sunak and Starmer can only dream of such popularity.

golden fields

Why?

The economy

The tax burden

Employee shortages

I think that Farage could quite easily get tripped up in a debate about actions, consequences and details.

So what drives his enduring popularity?"

He offers simple solutions to complex problems to people who can't be arsed to have a more in depth look into what's going on.

He plays on people's fears and prejudices.

milton keynes

Why?

Farage is, and let's be fair, shit at debating."

I always thought he was quite reasonable at debating. Not the best but OK in my opinion. It's good to hear lots of varied opinions on lots of subjects

North West

Why?

The economy

The tax burden

Employee shortages

He offers simple solutions to complex problems to people who can't be arsed to have a more in depth look into what's going on.

He plays on people's fears and prejudices. "

Exactly this.

Humans are programmed to fear the unknown because for thousands of years being afraid of the unknown was a vital response to be able to stay alive.

These days in Britain, people still fear people “who are not like them” and so when a politician comes along and suggests that the people who are not like you are the cause of your problems - it’s a fairly easy sell to someone who does not want or can’t think too deeply about what is being said.

Farage has spent his whole leave being afarsid of foreigners, but it is exactly the same play book when other people attack Trans people, or others who are on the margins of society.

" is that 6-12 months into a labour government, momentum and the left will take over. That's a fair comment and concern "

This . . .

Peterborough

Farage standing ensures the campaigning will be a tear up and hopefully 4th July an end of the tories for a generation. Sunak and Starmer will fill their pants if they have to debate the economy and immigration with Farage. a generation pmsl, if things havent improved even just a little bit labour will be out on there arse after one term, there only thing seems to be we aint as bad as the torys if after four or five years things are still the same they wont have we aint as bad as the tories to fall back on"

It'll take more than the first term to rectify 14 years of tory failings

golden fields

Why?

I always thought he was quite reasonable at debating. Not the best but OK in my opinion. It's good to hear lots of varied opinions on lots of subjects"

He crumbles under the slightest of scrutiny.

Farage excels in playing on people's fears, and one liner rhetoric.

Like standing under the poster of brown skinned people walking through a field in eastern Europe with the tagline "breaking point".

golden fields

" is that 6-12 months into a labour government, momentum and the left will take over. That's a fair comment and concern

This . . . "

What's the fear, that the government would implement policies that benefitted British people and workers?

Pershore

Why?

The economy

The tax burden

Employee shortages

He plays on people's fears and prejudices. "

Or he offers plain truths that the chattering classes dare not speak. You don't think it's a tad patronising to dismiss his supporters as 'can't be arsed'? You're repeating the mistakes that saw Trump rise to power, and likely will again.

milton keynes

Why?

I always thought he was quite reasonable at debating. Not the best but OK in my opinion. It's good to hear lots of varied opinions on lots of subjects

Like standing under the poster of brown skinned people walking through a field in eastern Europe with the tagline "breaking point"."

That's certainly not been my experience when I have seen him in debates

golden fields

Why?

The economy

The tax burden

Employee shortages

He plays on people's fears and prejudices.

Or he offers plain truths that the chattering classes dare not speak.

"

If by "plain truths" you mean a lot of absolute bullshit nonsense about immigrants causing all the problems. Then yeah.

"

You don't think it's a tad patronising to dismiss his supporters as 'can't be arsed'? You're repeating the mistakes that saw Trump rise to power, and likely will again."

Trump is another good example, demonstrably bullshit simplistic solutions to complex problems. People who aren't really paying attention lap it up.

I'm not making any mistake here. These are very effective tactics, as per your Trump example.

By *orses and PoniesMan 4 weeks ago

Ealing

Why?

Like standing under the poster of brown skinned people walking through a field in eastern Europe with the tagline "breaking point"."

. Maybe you need to look at the policies promoted by Farage before commenting . He is attempting to address a serious issue which last time I checked is of concern to 67 % of the population in the UK.

" is that 6-12 months into a labour government, momentum and the left will take over. That's a fair comment and concern

This . . .

What's the fear, that the government would implement policies that benefitted British people and workers?"

Just for once actualy read the post.

golden fields

This . . .

What's the fear, that the government would implement policies that benefitted British people and workers?

Just for once actualy read the post. "

I did. I'm asking for clarification of what people are concerned about.

This . . .

I did. I'm asking for clarification of what people are concerned about. "

The poster I answered said:

*****is that 6-12 months into a labour government, momentum and the left will take over. That's a fair comment and concern *******

By *ostindreamsMan 4 weeks ago

London

"Why?

Anyways as much as I hate the Tories I'm definately not voting for Labour

I too think he's a decent bloke BUT my concern, and that of a lot of friends and colleagues, is that 6-12 months into a labour government, momentum and the left will take over. That's a fair comment and concern "

That's my concern too. I am fine with voting for Starmer. But I am not 100% sure that the far left has been purged from the party.

golden fields

Why?

Like standing under the poster of brown skinned people walking through a field in eastern Europe with the tagline "breaking point".. Maybe you need to look at the policies promoted by Farage before commenting . He is attempting to address a serious issue which last time I checked is of concern to 67 % of the population in the UK. "

I did. The Reform policies range from climate science not being real, to only allowing people to be teachers who are unaware of social injustice, especially racism, to standard Farage style blaming foriegners for everything.

golden fields

This . . .

*****is that 6-12 months into a labour government, momentum and the left will take over. That's a fair comment and concern *******"

I saw. I asked for some clarification of why this is a concern.

This . . .

*****is that 6-12 months into a labour government, momentum and the left will take over. That's a fair comment and concern *******

I saw. I asked for some clarification of why this is a concern."

You don't think that Momentum taking over or placing heavy pressure on a centrist Labour would be a problem?

golden fields

This . . .

I saw. I asked for some clarification of why this is a concern.

You don't think that Momentum taking over or placing heavy pressure on a centrist Labour would be a problem?"

I haven't commented. I'm interested in why this is a concern for people.

I'm not voting Labour. Just to clarify. I don't support Starmer or the party. I'm not trying to make a point. Just interested.

By *abioMan 4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Why?

Like standing under the poster of brown skinned people walking through a field in eastern Europe with the tagline "breaking point".. Maybe you need to look at the policies promoted by Farage before commenting . He is attempting to address a serious issue which last time I checked is of concern to 67 % of the population in the UK.

I did. The Reform policies range from climate science not being real, to only allowing people to be teachers who are unaware of social injustice, especially racism, to standard Farage style blaming foriegners for everything. "

I laugh every time a politician mentions “critical race theory” and wanting to ban it in schools….. because it’s only ever been taught specifically at university degree level

What farage is basically saying is that white people should not be made to feel bad for past aggression because they never did… honest guv!

Peterborough

Why?

Like standing under the poster of brown skinned people walking through a field in eastern Europe with the tagline "breaking point".. Maybe you need to look at the policies promoted by Farage before commenting . He is attempting to address a serious issue which last time I checked is of concern to 67 % of the population in the UK.

I did. The Reform policies range from climate science not being real, to only allowing people to be teachers who are unaware of social injustice, especially racism, to standard Farage style blaming foriegners for everything.

I laugh every time a politician mentions “critical race theory” and wanting to ban it in schools….. because it’s only ever been taught specifically at university degree level

What farage is basically saying is that white people should not be made to feel bad for past aggression because they never did… honest guv! "

Are they trying to say white privilege (white male, middle to upper class) never occurred?

nearby

Question for Nigel’s on his wankered brexit.

UK clothing sales to EU plummet as Brexit red tape deters exporters

Small and medium-sized firms badly hit as huge drop in apparel sales helps fuel 18% slide in all-non food exports

£5bn a year less in UK economy.

Brighton

Why?

What farage is basically saying is that white people should not be made to feel bad for past aggression because they never did… honest guv!

Are they trying to say white privilege (white male, middle to upper class) never occurred?"

Hmmm I am white, male, came from working class roots but now wealthy (does income change my “class”?) I feel no GUILT about what has happened in history. NONE! I have opinion on the past and cannot believe with my 21st Century sensibilities what has been done in the past. But all I can do is help play my part to make the future better.

Bournemouth

Why?

Are they trying to say white privilege (white male, middle to upper class) never occurred?

Hmmm I am white, male, came from working class roots but now wealthy (does income change my “class”?) I feel no GUILT about what has happened in history. NONE! I have opinion on the past and cannot believe with my 21st Century sensibilities what has been done in the past. But all I can do is help play my part to make the future better."

I'm with you on this one. I feel ZERO giilt for the past which had nothing to do with me. Further, I have ZERO inclination to pay for that past.

I'm truly of the belief that these 'White Privilege Wanderers' do more harm than good by bleating about it constantly.

London

"

Hmmm I am white, male, came from working class roots but now wealthy (does income change my “class”?) I feel no GUILT about what has happened in history. NONE! I have opinion on the past and cannot believe with my 21st Century sensibilities what has been done in the past. But all I can do is help play my part to make the future better."

Yeah it's one of the many stupidities of modern left. They keep telling us how collective punishment is bad morality and judging someone based on race is bad morality. And then with a straight face tell us, "You know what? Someone with the same skin colour as you did some horrible things about a century back because of which you have to feel guilty about it and give up your rights in favour of someone who has the same skin colour as some people who suffered in in the past"

The people in question are probably not even in the family line of anyone who caused the suffering or actually suffered. And then they are shocked when people call out on this nonsense.

Or maybe, it's not stupidity but outright malice?

Terra Firma

Why?

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

How has critical race theory and white guilt entered this conversation? I feel I've missed a piece of news !

Terra Firma

"How has critical race theory and white guilt entered this conversation? I feel I've missed a piece of news !"

You’ve been here long enough to know never to ask how a thread started at A and ended up being X

Peterborough

Why?

No-one can MAKE you feel guilty. But is farage saying it didn't happen?

Brighton

Why?

Hmmm I am white, male, came from working class roots but now wealthy (does income change my “class”?) I feel no GUILT about what has happened in history. NONE! I have opinion on the past and cannot believe with my 21st Century sensibilities what has been done in the past. But all I can do is help play my part to make the future better.

No-one can MAKE you feel guilty. But is farage saying it didn't happen?"

TBH I don’t know what Farage said. What I do know is that is a narrative that says people like me should feel guilty for what happened in history. I don’t. The trouble with that narrative is that it taps into people like me (but with less critical thinking ability ) and triggers them. It becomes a rallying cry and alienates people.

milton keynes

Why?

I'm with you on this one. I feel ZERO giilt for the past which had nothing to do with me. Further, I have ZERO inclination to pay for that past.

I'm truly of the belief that these 'White Privilege Wanderers' do more harm than good by bleating about it constantly. "

Exactly right with more harm than good. Your history is your history. Yes learn from it and use it to not repeat mistakes but don't feel guilty about things you had no control over or were involved in.

By *abioMan 4 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"How has critical race theory and white guilt entered this conversation? I feel I've missed a piece of news !"

Because as part of the reform uk _anifesto online it states they want the ban teaching of LGBTQ issues and Critical Race Theory from being taught in schools

But critical race theory has Never been taught in schools… it’s specifically only ever been taught as part of university degree level courses

It one of those things that sounds like it’s attacking the woke elite but in practice means jack shit!!!

But I am happy to go back to the reform party position on them not believing in climate science…. That should be a much better discussion for the knuckle draggers

Bournemouth

"How has critical race theory and white guilt entered this conversation? I feel I've missed a piece of news !

Because as part of the reform uk _anifesto online it states they want the ban teaching of LGBTQ issues and Critical Race Theory from being taught in schools

But critical race theory has Never been taught in schools… it’s specifically only ever been taught as part of university degree level courses

It one of those things that sounds like it’s attacking the woke elite but in practice means jack shit!!!

But I am happy to go back to the reform party position on them not believing in climate science…. That should be a much better discussion for the knuckle draggers "

I'll ask my daughters if those things are taught in schools.

I can say for certainty though (my youngest daughter told me today) that teachers are telling her the Tories are going to send them to war as part of National Service.

South West London

Ok I say this, seeing the back of the Tories will delight me but seeing Labour replace them terrifies me

By *llie37555Man 4 weeks ago

Market Drayton

"Ok I say this, seeing the back of the Tories will delight me but seeing Labour replace them terrifies me"

Agree with the last point only! But when you try to alert sensible people we are sleepwalking to utter disaster with Starmer, they refuse to accept it is scary!

Sunak has a plan. Best to stick with it.

Peterborough

"Ok I say this, seeing the back of the Tories will delight me but seeing Labour replace them terrifies me

Agree with the last point only! But when you try to alert sensible people we are sleepwalking to utter disaster with Starmer, they refuse to accept it is scary!

Sunak has a plan. Best to stick with it. "

His plans have a habit of not being pulled off.

nr faversham

"Ok I say this, seeing the back of the Tories will delight me but seeing Labour replace them terrifies me

He might well have plan although I doubt it but in any case, his Tory colleagues are plotting already. They need a period in opposition to sort themselves out and reunite

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

having just watched the leader debate I struggle to say what eithers are !

Sunk: national service and triple lock plus. Definition of sex.

Starmer. Vat on school fees. Non Doms. Something about energy.

golden fields

"Ok I say this, seeing the back of the Tories will delight me but seeing Labour replace them terrifies me"

How come? They're barely any different.

golden fields

He might well have plan although I doubt it but in any case, his Tory colleagues are plotting already. They need a period in opposition to sort themselves out and reunite "

If they have a plan, why have they been fucking about for the last 14 years running the country into the ground with austerity, Brexit, disaster capitalism etc?

Why have they held off this plan until now?

By *umbrian85Man 4 weeks ago

Cumbria

Hilarious stuff.

Brighton

Sunak defo has a plan. Lose election. Step down. Move to the USA before school term starts in September and help wife avoid Non Dom issues.

Market Drayton

His plans have a habit of not being pulled off."

What, like halving inflation?

It's happened

Market Drayton

Sunak has a plan. Best to stick with it. having just watched the leader debate I struggle to say what eithers are !

Sunk: national service and triple lock plus. Definition of sex.

Starmer. Vat on school fees. Non Doms. Something about energy.

"

Sunk? That's a cruel rename before a vote has even been cast

Market Drayton

How come? They're barely any different."

You see barely any difference between Rayner /Abbott and Mordaunt/May?

By *ayPrimeMan 4 weeks ago

Leeds

"Well, if he is elected (eighth time lucky?) it’ll be no more than Clacton deserves… he’s the gurning equivalent of Katie Price, always in the news without actually doing anything worthwhile."

If Alan Partridge was leading the Fourth Reich

Market Drayton

He might well have plan although I doubt it but in any case, his Tory colleagues are plotting already. They need a period in opposition to sort themselves out and reunite

If they have a plan, why have they been fucking about for the last 14 years running the country into the ground with austerity, Brexit, disaster capitalism etc?

Why have they held off this plan until now?"

Austerity, Brexit, Covid, Ukraine

The first was necessary because Labour left no money (and a note saying so), the 2nd because the EU were far too controlling morphing from trade arrangements body EEC to political leftist superstate machine EU.

Third and fourth were exogenous events, Labour would have struggled with too. In fact Labour would have locked down longer and would not have supported Ukraine like Boris did.

Market Drayton

Sunak defo has a plan. Lose election. Step down. Move to the USA before school term starts in September and help wife avoid Non Dom issues."

He's confirmed he intends to remain as MP for Richmond, whether or not he remains PM

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 4 weeks ago

Gilfach

"If they have a plan, why have they been fucking about for the last 14 years running the country into the ground with austerity, Brexit, disaster capitalism etc?

Why have they held off this plan until now?"

To be fair, it's Rishi's plan, and he's only been in power for 18 months.

Brighton

Sunak defo has a plan. Lose election. Step down. Move to the USA before school term starts in September and help wife avoid Non Dom issues.

He's confirmed he intends to remain as MP for Richmond, whether or not he remains PM "

We’ll see

golden fields

It's happened

"

Lol, amazing.

Step 1. Double inflatable.

Step 2. Half inflation.

Tory voters alliance confirmed.

golden fields

The first was necessary because Labour left no money (and a note saying so), the 2nd because the EU were far too controlling morphing from trade arrangements body EEC to political leftist superstate machine EU.

Third and fourth were exogenous events, Labour would have struggled with too. In fact Labour would have locked down longer and would not have supported Ukraine like Boris did. "

Lol, now you're clearly just taking the piss. Fair play.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 4 weeks ago

Cumbria

Third and fourth were exogenous events, Labour would have struggled with too. In fact Labour would have locked down longer and would not have supported Ukraine like Boris did. "

The note saying there is no money left is a treasury tradition that goes back to Winston Churchill. Anyone still using this particular stick to beat Labour with is either disingenuous or completely lacking in knowledge.

golden fields

Third and fourth were exogenous events, Labour would have struggled with too. In fact Labour would have locked down longer and would not have supported Ukraine like Boris did.

The note saying there is no money left is a treasury tradition that goes back to Winston Churchill. Anyone still using this particular stick to beat Labour with is either disingenuous or completely lacking in knowledge."

I think the point they're making is that a portion of the electorate just aren't interested in what's actually going on, and will vote based of old disproven tropes and DM headlines.

Market Drayton

It's happened

Lol, amazing.

Step 2. Half inflation.

Tory voters alliance confirmed. "

Double inflatable lol

Market Drayton

Lol, now you're clearly just taking the piss. Fair play. "

So which of those 4 is /are untrue and why?

You seriously think for instance energy prices going through the roof (with all the ripple effects on food, fuel prices etc) was nothing to do with Russian's illegal and devastating invasion of Ukraine?

Market Drayton

The note saying there is no money left is a treasury tradition that goes back to Winston Churchill. Anyone still using this particular stick to beat Labour with is either disingenuous or completely lacking in knowledge."

It's a Labour tradition, I'll give you that. The only time we had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a bail-out was under Labour in the 70s.

Market Drayton

The note saying there is no money left is a treasury tradition that goes back to Winston Churchill. Anyone still using this particular stick to beat Labour with is either disingenuous or completely lacking in knowledge.

I think the point they're making is that a portion of the electorate just aren't interested in what's actually going on, and will vote based of old disproven tropes and DM headlines. "

What about Russian bots lolz

Cumbria

It's a Labour tradition, I'll give you that. The only time we had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a bail-out was under Labour in the 70s. "

Thanks for the reply, means I never have to take anything you say seriously from now on x

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

It's a Labour tradition, I'll give you that. The only time we had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a bail-out was under Labour in the 70s. "

I don't know enough about this but two places have suggested the seed of this was 72 spend for growth budget.

The loan was repaid a few years later. Feels like budgets were well managed. More a bridging loan than a long term debt.

Welcome more informed thoughts!

Brighton

It's a Labour tradition, I'll give you that. The only time we had to go cap in hand to the IMF for a bail-out was under Labour in the 70s. I don't know enough about this but two places have suggested the seed of this was 72 spend for growth budget.

The loan was repaid a few years later. Feels like budgets were well managed. More a bridging loan than a long term debt.

Welcome more informed thoughts! "

“Anthony Barber, a member of the conservative party in Britain, created a budget in 1972 in an attempt to have his party seize power in the 1974 election. This budget lead to a period of growth followed by a time that would result in high levels of inflation, almost 25%, for the pound. In 1976 investors later became wary of the value of sterling causing the value of the pound to become very low against the US dollar. This balance of payment issue coupled with citizens losing confidence in spending, would result in the UK borrowing 3.9 billion from the IMF. This was the largest loan from the IMF at the time, but only half of the loan would be taken out. The UK rebuilt their reserves and repaid the loan by 1979.”

That’s Wikipedia (yes there are other sources bit this was easy to find and still correct).

golden fields

It's happened

Lol, amazing.

Step 2. Half inflation.

Double inflatable lol"

It was a typo.

golden fields

I think the point they're making is that a portion of the electorate just aren't interested in what's actually going on, and will vote based of old disproven tropes and DM headlines.

What about Russian bots lolz"

Yeah of course, but last time that came up you got upset so I didn't add it in. You get the general jist though

Brighton

It's happened

Lol, amazing.

Step 2. Half inflation.

Double inflatable lol

It was a typo. "

To be fair inflatables do seem to have doubled under the Tories as well! Should have bought shares in manufacturers!

golden fields

It's happened

Lol, amazing.

Step 2. Half inflation.

Double inflatable lol

It was a typo.

To be fair inflatables do seem to have doubled under the Tories as well! Should have bought shares in manufacturers!"

Maybe there will be an inflatable candidate. Probably better than what's on offer currently.

Terra Firma

His plans have a habit of not being pulled off."

Not true

Pershore

It's happened

Lol, amazing.

Step 2. Half inflation.

Double inflatable lol

It was a typo.

To be fair inflatables do seem to have doubled under the Tories as well! Should have bought shares in manufacturers!"

Inflatables made in Turkey apparently, then imported by truck to Germany and onwards to France. Representations to all three countries have fallen on deaf ears. So much for international co-operation amongst 'close friends'.

Peterborough

Not true"

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

Smoking legislation (not finalised).

They are just off the top of my head.

Peterborough

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

"

Then there's the strikes that haven't been settled.

Cumbria

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

"

Rent reform, he didn’t even get the bill that his back benchers forced him to water down through.

Terra Firma

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

"

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Waiting lists have come down from the point he said he would reduce the times.

Rwanda is already acting has a deterrent, even though the legal challenges preventing full roll out.

Smoking agreed

Bournemouth

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Rwanda is already acting has a deterrent, even though the legal challenges preventing full roll out.

Smoking agreed

"

The smoking legislation was fucking nonsense, that's why it couldn't get through.

Peterborough

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Smoking agreed

The smoking legislation was fucking nonsense, that's why it couldn't get through. "

The first stage has passed.

Peterborough

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Smoking agreed

"

We'll agree to disagree.

Bournemouth

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Smoking agreed

The smoking legislation was fucking nonsense, that's why it couldn't get through.

The first stage has passed."

I clearly got that wrong.

However, if its passed the first stage, why is it in your list?

Pershore

Poor Nigel is getting a slagging on here. But hang on, Reform are polling 3 points higher in as many days and now within 2 points of the Tories. Where will it end? So are Fabbers behind the curve or what?

Bournemouth

"Poor Nigel is getting a slagging on here. But hang on, Reform are polling 3 points higher in as many days and now within 2 points of the Tories. Where will it end? So are Fabbers behind the curve or what?"

As someone else said recently. There are a lot of people so out of touch that they will never understand why anyone may like Reform.

Peterborough

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Smoking agreed

However, if its passed the first stage, why is it in your list?"

Because it isn't finished.

Bournemouth

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Smoking agreed

Because it isn't finished. "

We now include things in progress as failures (not being pulled off)?

By *roadShoulderzMan 4 weeks ago

Petersfield

"Poor Nigel is getting a slagging on here. But hang on, Reform are polling 3 points higher in as many days and now within 2 points of the Tories. Where will it end? So are Fabbers behind the curve or what?"

I think the Fab Tory supporters on here with their multiple or anonymous profiles are failing to see the express train heading their way.

They obsess about what someone in the Labour party didn't do 17 years ago, whilst Reform grows their support. We might be only days away from the polls showing the Tories beaten into third place, at which point they might spontaneously implode with The Liar Sunak fucking off back to California early.

nr faversham

"Poor Nigel is getting a slagging on here. But hang on, Reform are polling 3 points higher in as many days and now within 2 points of the Tories. Where will it end? So are Fabbers behind the curve or what?

I think the Fab Tory supporters on here with their multiple or anonymous profiles are failing to see the express train heading their way.

They obsess about what someone in the Labour party didn't do 17 years ago, whilst Reform grows their support. We might be only days away from the polls showing the Tories beaten into third place, at which point they might spontaneously implode with The Liar Sunak fucking off back to California early.

"

Nothing to do with anything labour did or didn't do. The fact is this Tory government had a sizeable majority and they only had to deliver 50% of Brexit. I'm a Brexit supporter and as far as I can see they've delivered nowt. People aren't flocking to the labour pay, they're abandoning the Tories

Peterborough

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Smoking agreed

We now include things in progress as failures (not being pulled off)?"

Because it won't be the same govt who will see it through (or reverse it).

golden fields

I wouldn't say so, plenty of people here don't think science is real, don't like foriegners etc

By *roadShoulderzMan 4 weeks ago

Petersfield

"Poor Nigel is getting a slagging on here. But hang on, Reform are polling 3 points higher in as many days and now within 2 points of the Tories. Where will it end? So are Fabbers behind the curve or what?

Nothing to do with anything labour did or didn't do. The fact is this Tory government had a sizeable majority and they only had to deliver 50% of Brexit. I'm a Brexit supporter and as far as I can see they've delivered nowt. People aren't flocking to the labour pay, they're abandoning the Tories "

Labour achieved 32% of the total poll in 2019, but are currently polling c. 45%. That's nearly a 50% increase suggesting your comment "People aren't flocking to the labour pay" (party) may be inaccurate!

Also in 2019 REFORM(UKIP) stood aside so as not to split the pro-BREXIT vote.

When you say the Tories have delivered "nowt" what BREXIT promises that weren't delivered do you feel most let down by?

Farage has a long list apparently which is presumably why REFORM's polling is sky-rocketing and the Tories nose-diving.

Pershore

I wouldn't say so, plenty of people here don't think science is real, don't like foriegners etc"

You reckon? But these are well educated people steeped in our traditional values of fairness and tolerance. So why else are they turning to Mr Farage in droves?

By *estivalMan 4 weeks ago

borehamwood

Farage standing ensures the campaigning will be a tear up and hopefully 4th July an end of the tories for a generation. Sunak and Starmer will fill their pants if they have to debate the economy and immigration with Farage. a generation pmsl, if things havent improved even just a little bit labour will be out on there arse after one term, there only thing seems to be we aint as bad as the torys if after four or five years things are still the same they wont have we aint as bad as the tories to fall back on

It'll take more than the first term to rectify 14 years of tory failings"

it may take longer than the first term but people these days want instant results and if nothing has improved after there first term they will find it a lot harder getting elected if after four or five years its the same shit

golden fields

I wouldn't say so, plenty of people here don't think science is real, don't like foriegners etc

You reckon?"

Definitely, you've seen these forums.

"

But these are well educated people steeped in our traditional values of fairness and tolerance.

"

Are you referring to the people on this forum, or the Reform party candidates?

"

So why else are they turning to Mr Farage in droves?"

This is the interesting point. One chap on here keeps saying he's voting Reform, but never says why when he's asked.

By and large this party offers ridiculously simplistic solutions to complex problems. It plays on people's fears of foreigners. And targets and element of the electorate that have been primed by the media to think that climate science isn't real, that "woke" means some weird unspecified bad thing that should be kept out of schools.

It's the same tactics Trump used. IE. Call Mexicans R4pists. Says he's going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it. Absolute demonstrable bollocks.

Pershore

You reckon?

But these are well educated people steeped in our traditional values of fairness and tolerance.

So why else are they turning to Mr Farage in droves?

This is the interesting point. One chap on here keeps saying he's voting Reform, but never says why when he's asked.

By and large this party offers ridiculously simplistic solutions to complex problems. It plays on people's fears of foreigners. And targets and element of the electorate that have been primed by the media to think that climate science isn't real, that "woke" means some weird unspecified bad thing that should be kept out of schools.

It's the same tactics Trump used. IE. Call Mexicans R4pists. Says he's going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it. Absolute demonstrable bollocks."

I was referring to all the citizens of this sceptred isle.

I agree with your summary except that I'm not sure it's 'fear of foreigners' so much as 'concerns over uncontrolled immigration'. They're not the same thing eh?

Bournemouth

Not true

HS2

Rwanda

Hospital waiting lists

Immigration figures

HS2 was not Sunak’s plan

Smoking agreed

We now include things in progress as failures (not being pulled off)?

Because it won't be the same govt who will see it through (or reverse it)."

That doesn't answer the question asked but it does answer some things

golden fields

You reckon?

It's the same tactics Trump used. IE. Call Mexicans R4pists. Says he's going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it. Absolute demonstrable bollocks.

I agree with your summary except that I'm not sure it's 'fear of foreigners' so much as 'concerns over uncontrolled immigration'. They're not the same thing eh?"

We don't, and never have had "uncontrolled immigration". So it rolls back to people's prejudices against foreigners. Personally I point the finger at elements of the media that constantly pump anti-immigrant, anti-foreigner, anti-muslim stories over years and years.

Pershore

You reckon?

I agree with your summary except that I'm not sure it's 'fear of foreigners' so much as 'concerns over uncontrolled immigration'. They're not the same thing eh?

We don't, and never have had "uncontrolled immigration". So it rolls back to people's prejudices against foreigners. Personally I point the finger at elements of the media that constantly pump anti-immigrant, anti-foreigner, anti-muslim stories over years and years. "

Hmmm not convinced. 10,000 channel crossing so far this year. Estimated 500,000 'missing' on overstayed visas. How bad can it get before you call it 'uncontrolled' then?

London

"

We don't, and never have had "uncontrolled immigration". "

If anyone can come into the border and claim they are asylum seekers and the country can't do anything about it, that's the definition of uncontrolled immigration. If we can't immediately arrest anyone shows inside the border without visa, you practically don't have a border. Not to mention that the legal net immigration was about 1% of the country's population in one year.

golden fields

You reckon?

We don't, and never have had "uncontrolled immigration". So it rolls back to people's prejudices against foreigners. Personally I point the finger at elements of the media that constantly pump anti-immigrant, anti-foreigner, anti-muslim stories over years and years.

Hmmm not convinced. 10,000 channel crossing so far this year. Estimated 500,000 'missing' on overstayed visas. How bad can it get before you call it 'uncontrolled' then?"

That's not "immigration".

What do you think is the reason for people are attracted to vote for the likes of Farage & Reform?

Peterborough

You reckon?

I agree with your summary except that I'm not sure it's 'fear of foreigners' so much as 'concerns over uncontrolled immigration'. They're not the same thing eh?"

That reminds me, the Tory MP on QT last night was laughed at by the audience when he was discussing brexit. Akin to: the electorate voted us in to do brexit and control our borders/immigration. Bless him, he was being serious.

Pershore

What do you think is the reason for people are attracted to vote for the likes of Farage & Reform?

It's the populism movement isn't it? The same thing we see with Trump. Mostly disillusionment with the established political order and galvanised by key issues like immigration (or whatever name you call it), poor living standards, poor health service .....you name it.

golden fields

"What do you think is the reason for people are attracted to vote for the likes of Farage & Reform?

It's the populism movement isn't it? The same thing we see with Trump. Mostly disillusionment with the established political order and galvanised by key issues like immigration (or whatever name you call it), poor living standards, poor health service .....you name it."

I'm with you, why do they think voting Farage/Reform will help them?

Bournemouth

"What do you think is the reason for people are attracted to vote for the likes of Farage & Reform?

It's the populism movement isn't it? The same thing we see with Trump. Mostly disillusionment with the established political order and galvanised by key issues like immigration (or whatever name you call it), poor living standards, poor health service .....you name it."

You're clearly mistaken. Anyone who thinks Reform are good are 'uneducated idiots' and 'racist'. Its almost as if the Brexit result after the same tactics has taught these people nothing. And they have the cheek to call others uneducated

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

"

We don't, and never have had "uncontrolled immigration".

If anyone can come into the border and claim they are asylum seekers and the country can't do anything about it, that's the definition of uncontrolled immigration. If we can't immediately arrest anyone shows inside the border without visa, you practically don't have a border. Not to mention that the legal net immigration was about 1% of the country's population in one year.

"

we don't have to accept every person. The reason we ah e a backlog is because we have controls.

But of we took this loose definition of uncontrolled, that means Brexit was never going to be able to take back control of our borders.

I totally agree that we should do more on overstayers.

And that we need to have a long hard look at how we seen ourselves off visa immigration.

These numbers, as someone else showed, are the significant parts when looking at growth and strain.

Pershore

It's the populism movement isn't it? The same thing we see with Trump. Mostly disillusionment with the established political order and galvanised by key issues like immigration (or whatever name you call it), poor living standards, poor health service .....you name it.

I'm with you, why do they think voting Farage/Reform will help them?"

I didn't say it would (but it might). I'm interested in what is driving populism and equally intrigued why people don't want to understand what's underlying it. There could be an element of a protest vote in that people know the Tories are dead, but can't bring themselves to vote Labour. That's understandable, no?

London

"

we don't have to accept every person. The reason we ah e a backlog is because we have controls.

"

If a country has controlled immigration, the only people who enter into the borders should be the ones who have a valid visa/passport. Anyone else should be thrown in prison. By creating these ridiculous laws around asylum process, Western countries have practically opened up their borders.

We know that any such process is going to take time and will result in a massive backlog. And we know that deportation is difficult because their host countries aren't willing to take them. So in practice, it means uncontrolled immigration. There have been multiple instance of gang leaders and murderers from other countries claiming asylum here and we being unable to anything about it. The state of border control in European countries is laughable and people are rightfully scared.

"

But of we took this loose definition of uncontrolled, that means Brexit was never going to be able to take back control of our borders.

"

I agree that Brexit wasn't going to solve this. But it makes the decision to leave refugee conventions easier.

London

I didn't say it would (but it might). I'm interested in what is driving populism and equally intrigued why people don't want to understand what's underlying it. There could be an element of a protest vote in that people know the Tories are dead, but can't bring themselves to vote Labour. That's understandable, no?"

"Populism" is the term used by people who do not like the outcome of a democratic election.

golden fields

I didn't say it would (but it might). "

No I know, it definitely won't help them but why do they think it would help?

"

I'm interested in what is driving populism and equally intrigued why people don't want to understand what's underlying it. There could be an element of a protest vote in that people know the Tories are dead, but can't bring themselves to vote Labour. That's understandable, no?"

Yeah I get you, voting for a more extreme version of the Tories doesn't seem especially logical.

Pershore

I didn't say it would (but it might).

I'm interested in what is driving populism and equally intrigued why people don't want to understand what's underlying it. There could be an element of a protest vote in that people know the Tories are dead, but can't bring themselves to vote Labour. That's understandable, no?

Yeah I get you, voting for a more extreme version of the Tories doesn't seem especially logical. "

Depends on their _anifesto. I haven't seen it yet - nor for that matter any other party's. Let's see what they have to say.

golden fields

I'm interested in what is driving populism and equally intrigued why people don't want to understand what's underlying it. There could be an element of a protest vote in that people know the Tories are dead, but can't bring themselves to vote Labour. That's understandable, no?

Yeah I get you, voting for a more extreme version of the Tories doesn't seem especially logical.

Depends on their _anifesto. I haven't seen it yet - nor for that matter any other party's. Let's see what they have to say."

The Reform party has very clear messages in their list of policies on their website. And the party is clearly attracting an element of the electorate.

I'm still non-the-wiser why people think voting for them will help any of the issues the UK is facing today. After a read through of their policies, it's evident that they have no answers, and a lot nonsense.

Bournemouth

Depends on their _anifesto. I haven't seen it yet - nor for that matter any other party's. Let's see what they have to say.

The Reform party has very clear messages in their list of policies on their website. And the party is clearly attracting an element of the electorate.

I'm still non-the-wiser why people think voting for them will help any of the issues the UK is facing today. After a read through of their policies, it's evident that they have no answers, and a lot nonsense. "

A very simple one is raising personal allowance to 20k.

Why would anyone in their right mind think that puts more money in their pockets. Fucking idiots

South West London

I think Reform will win a handful of seats like 4 or 5

Terra Firma

I'm still non-the-wiser why people think voting for them will help any of the issues the UK is facing today. After a read through of their policies, it's evident that they have no answers, and a lot nonsense. "

You not understanding the pull or reasoning of centre right, Is it because you have views that would make you a political outlier?

Peterborough

I'm still non-the-wiser why people think voting for them will help any of the issues the UK is facing today. After a read through of their policies, it's evident that they have no answers, and a lot nonsense.

A very simple one is raising personal allowance to 20k.

Why would anyone in their right mind think that puts more money in their pockets. Fucking idiots "

I'm a fucking idiot then, as it would mean I don't pay tax

North West

"

We don't, and never have had "uncontrolled immigration".

"

Asylum seekers represent a tiny percentage of overall immigration.

Last year 1,400,000 visas were issued legally and included people from Ukraine and Hong Kong as well as key workers and students from elsewhere in the world.

Immigration can be a problem just as much as it can be a solution. The key is to navigate the middle ground and STOP asserting that it is only a problem, or only a solution.