FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > laziest children in the world

laziest children in the world

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man 18 weeks ago

in the sticks

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13449517/Day-day-exercise-largely-disappearing-young-people-s-lives.html

The survey looked at the lives of children aged 11, 13 and 15 living in Europe, Central Asia and Canada.

It included more than 4,000 children in England, 4,000 in Scotland plus children in Welsh schools.

Data showed that 30 per cent of girls and 18 per cent of boys in England are inactive across all age groups surveyed, while the figure in Wales is 27 per cent for girls and 17 per cent for boys.

In Scotland, 21 per cent of girls are inactive, alongside 12 per cent of boys.

By age 15, just 11 per cent of girls and 16 per cent of boys in England do at least 60 minutes a day of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity, which can include things like brisk walking, cycling or rollerblading

so whats the answer? put them on tablets for years? stop eating junk food? actually play sport for hours?

or should the parents take responsibility for little billy bunter waddling down the street? is it a form of child abuse?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *exy_HornyCouple 18 weeks ago

Leigh

It is entirely the fault of the parents.

Many of them just can't be bothered to feed their children a balanced diet and ensure that they get enough exercise.

The "school run" in cars should be banned.

By *oxychick35Couple 18 weeks ago

thornaby

We blame the kids for everything they dont stand a chance it’s not there fault youth clubs are all gone most kids would love to be out more but it’s not like years ago parents are scared to let them go out for hrs then you get the idiot saying why don’t the parents know where they are

By (user no longer on site) 18 weeks ago

More evidence of institutional racism

It's no doubt a combo of things

(Both) Parents having to work

Fear of letting kids outdoors alone.

Lack of space for sports clubs.

Lack of adults to help sports clubs.

Increase reliance on cars (possibly as time poor).

More entertainment at home

Many of those are interlinked.

It feels kids are less able/allowed to go out and make their own activities. And they have less opportunities for organsied activities.

By *ittleMissCali_MrDJCouple 18 weeks ago

wonderland.

"It is entirely the fault of the parents.

Many of them just can't be bothered to feed their children a balanced diet and ensure that they get enough exercise.

The "school run" in cars should be banned."

school run in cars would be very difficult to ban.. many working parents are now dropping off and then heading straight to work. Or maybe have more than one school.

School run cars are the bane of my life... as I live opposite a school in a rural area. We do also have kids picked up on tractors and ponies

However modern day living doesn't often leave enough time for school run not to be done in the car....

Apart from just walking. Not much left locally for our kids to participate in .. nearest leisure centre is over 2 miles away and 2 different buses

By *irldnCouple 18 weeks ago

Brighton

"More evidence of institutional racism

It feels kids are less able/allowed to go out and make their own activities. And they have less opportunities for organsied activities. "

Nicely summed up.

By *melie LALWoman 18 weeks ago

Peterborough

The "school run" in cars should be banned."

Oh come on. It's more than that.

Peterborough

"More evidence of institutional racism

It feels kids are less able/allowed to go out and make their own activities. And they have less opportunities for organsied activities. "

This! And to elaborate, the entertainment = high tech. Also, children don't have to go to local libraries to get info for homework - it's at their fingertips.

Peterborough

Encourage kids to play knock down ginger .

Why was it so called?

By *atEvolutionCouple 18 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

The survey looked at the lives of children aged 11, 13 and 15 living in Europe, Central Asia and Canada.

It included more than 4,000 children in England, **** There are 12 Million Children in England. ***

4,000 in Scotland **** There are 1.8milion children in Scotland. ****

Data showed that 30 per cent of girls are inactive ***** Leaving 70% Active ***

and 18 per cent of boys ***** Leaving 82% Active. ***

in England are inactive across all age groups surveyed, while the figure in Wales is 27 ***** Leaving 73% Active.*** per cent for girls and 17 per cent for boys.***** Leaving 83% Active. ***

In Scotland, 21 per cent of girls are inactive, ***** Leaving 79% Active. *** alongside 12 per cent of boys. ***** Leaving 88% Active. ***

Pretty good result showing that our kids are in the main very active I'd say. Go Kids !!!! And don't let the doom-scrollers get you down.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 18 weeks ago

Central

It's parental responsibility to get their kids in healthy lifestyles.

Leigh

The "school run" in cars should be banned. school run in cars would be very difficult to ban.. many working parents are now dropping off and then heading straight to work. Or maybe have more than one school.

School run cars are the bane of my life... as I live opposite a school in a rural area. We do also have kids picked up on tractors and ponies

However modern day living doesn't often leave enough time for school run not to be done in the car....

Apart from just walking. Not much left locally for our kids to participate in .. nearest leisure centre is over 2 miles away and 2 different buses "

Why would you get a bus for 2 miles?

We walk all local journeys. 2 miles is easily walkable, and up to 6 or 10 miles cyclable.

I am always amazed by how many people drive to the gym or local park to get exercise.

By *astandFeistyCouple 18 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"The survey looked at the lives of children aged 11, 13 and 15 living in Europe, Central Asia and Canada.

It included more than 4,000 children in England, **** There are 12 Million Children in England. ***

in England are inactive across all age groups surveyed, while the figure in Wales is 27 ***** Leaving 73% Active.*** per cent for girls and 17 per cent for boys.***** Leaving 83% Active. ***

In Scotland, 21 per cent of girls are inactive, ***** Leaving 79% Active. *** alongside 12 per cent of boys. ***** Leaving 88% Active. ***

Pretty good result showing that our kids are in the main very active I'd say. Go Kids !!!! And don't let the doom-scrollers get you down.

"

STOP THAT!!

We must look at the negatives, and never the positives

"The survey looked at the lives of children aged 11, 13 and 15 living in Europe, Central Asia and Canada.

STOP THAT!!

We must look at the negatives, and never the positives "

Crazy isn't it?

Bournemouth

STOP THAT!!

We must look at the negatives, and never the positives

Crazy isn't it? "

Knowing how the world is today, I'm not shocked by it at all.

wonderland.

The "school run" in cars should be banned. school run in cars would be very difficult to ban.. many working parents are now dropping off and then heading straight to work. Or maybe have more than one school.

Apart from just walking. Not much left locally for our kids to participate in .. nearest leisure centre is over 2 miles away and 2 different buses

We walk all local journeys. 2 miles is easily walkable, and up to 6 or 10 miles cyclable.

I am always amazed by how many people drive to the gym or local park to get exercise."

Not everyone can walk two miles. It is also down lanes with no pavements... so not really suitable to walk.

Also I'd imagine time... I cam drive there in a little under 10 mins. Sat nav says 55 mins to walk there... so probably an hour and 15 mins each way for me. Who has that sort of time spare

By *ustaboutSaneMan 18 weeks ago

My World

I am always amazed by how many people drive to the gym or local park to get exercise. Not everyone can walk two miles. It is also down lanes with no pavements... so not really suitable to walk.

Also I'd imagine time... I cam drive there in a little under 10 mins. Sat nav says 55 mins to walk there... so probably an hour and 15 mins each way for me. Who has that sort of time spare "

Probably most people as the average daily TV viewing in Uk was over 4.5 hrs according to stats pre pandemic.

wonderland.

I am always amazed by how many people drive to the gym or local park to get exercise. Not everyone can walk two miles. It is also down lanes with no pavements... so not really suitable to walk.

Also I'd imagine time... I cam drive there in a little under 10 mins. Sat nav says 55 mins to walk there... so probably an hour and 15 mins each way for me. Who has that sort of time spare

Probably most people as the average daily TV viewing in Uk was over 4.5 hrs according to stats pre pandemic."

I definitely don't till later in the evening. And I don't know many people that do these days.

Peterborough

Probably most people as the average daily TV viewing in Uk was over 4.5 hrs according to stats pre pandemic."

I have lots and lots of time for watching tv (and sleeping) but no brain time. I don't suppose for one moment I'm alone.

By *mateur100Man 18 weeks ago

nr faversham

"https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13449517/Day-day-exercise-largely-disappearing-young-people-s-lives.html

It included more than 4,000 children in England, 4,000 in Scotland plus children in Welsh schools.

Data showed that 30 per cent of girls and 18 per cent of boys in England are inactive across all age groups surveyed, while the figure in Wales is 27 per cent for girls and 17 per cent for boys.

By age 15, just 11 per cent of girls and 16 per cent of boys in England do at least 60 minutes a day of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity, which can include things like brisk walking, cycling or rollerblading

so whats the answer? put them on tablets for years? stop eating junk food? actually play sport for hours?

or should the parents take responsibility for little billy bunter waddling down the street? is it a form of child abuse?

"

It's simple, they want for nothing so have no need to do anything, despite the cries of poverty

Peterborough

"https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-13449517/Day-day-exercise-largely-disappearing-young-people-s-lives.html

It's simple, they want for nothing so have no need to do anything, despite the cries of poverty "

Conflation at its best

I wonder what the numbers look like for adults. I sense even less adults move and it feels like many adults are over weight. Sins of the parents etc?

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 18 weeks ago

golden fields

I am always amazed by how many people drive to the gym or local park to get exercise."

Driving to the gym then getting on a treadmill seems like a bizarre thing to do.

Not defending someone who gets a bus for a two mile journey, but some parents don't have time for the hour it would take to walk the four mile round trip in the morning if they need to get to work.

By *llie37555Man 18 weeks ago

Market Drayton

I am always amazed by how many people drive to the gym or local park to get exercise.

Driving to the gym then getting on a treadmill seems like a bizarre thing to do.

Not defending someone who gets a bus for a two mile journey, but some parents don't have time for the hour it would take to walk the four mile round trip in the morning if they need to get to work."

Who wants to walk or jog around in the rain outside. And many people feel safer in a gym than using the streets or parks. The treadmill has a predictable surface that is much easier to negotiate than pavements and the risk of tripping is reduced. People can watch TV as they use treadmill. This is all fairly obvious, so not sure why it has confused you into thinking it's "bizarre".

By *idnight RamblerMan 18 weeks ago

Pershore

Much of this is down to helicopter parents, and the absence in their lexicon of the word "no".

golden fields

Not defending someone who gets a bus for a two mile journey, but some parents don't have time for the hour it would take to walk the four mile round trip in the morning if they need to get to work.

Who wants to walk or jog around in the rain outside. And many people feel safer in a gym than using the streets or parks. The treadmill has a predictable surface that is much easier to negotiate than pavements and the risk of tripping is reduced. People can watch TV as they use treadmill. This is all fairly obvious, so not sure why it has confused you into thinking it's "bizarre". "

"

^^^^^^ How is this not a positve story about the majority of kids 'being' active?

Read the figures properly

^^^^^^ How is this not a positve story about the majority of kids 'being' active?

Read the figures properly "

it depends on direction of travel. The numbers in isolation aren't that helpful.

The figures were argued that our children are lazy - when they are read properly, it proves that mostly they are not.

If you want a direction of travel - then do it again in 12 months - but give the kids a break - currently those figures look great.

Celebrate them.

By *owestoft ManMan 18 weeks ago

Lowestoft

Not sure it's anyone's fault really. Its just how Technology and fear mongering has changed everyone's mindset.

"The figures were argued that our children are lazy - when they are read properly, it proves that mostly they are not.

If you want a direction of travel - then do it again in 12 months - but give the kids a break - currently those figures look great.

Celebrate them. "

tbh the article reads confused and seems to flip position. But agree that the DM has gone for a shock angle without context. Also depends on what you call lazy !

thornaby

Read the figures properly "

I think the ppl who are negative probs don’t have kids so don’t have a clue kids tday have it so much harder whith the pressure they are under so good on em and give the kids a break ffs

Read the figures properly I think the ppl who are negative probs don’t have kids so don’t have a clue kids tday have it so much harder whith the pressure they are under so good on em and give the kids a break ffs "

Go Kids !!!!

Leigh

Read the figures properly I think the ppl who are negative probs don’t have kids so don’t have a clue kids tday have it so much harder whith the pressure they are under so good on em and give the kids a break ffs "

Why do kids have it harder? And if they do, why does it stop them exercising?

The biggest problem is they are driven everywhere by their lazy parents. Our daughter walked to school every day, by herself from Year 10. Under a mile to primary but about 2 miles to secondary. Including crossing major roads.

We trained her to walk one mile per year of her age so she has always walked everywhere. Her pushchair wore out when she was 2 so we binned it and didn't replace it.

By *otMe66Man 18 weeks ago

Terra Firma

I think it is all in the wording….

11-15 year olds do you take time out to exercise? No, I’m to busy running around and playing with my mates, possibly

The Daily Mail

Good enough for wrapping fish and chips in. That's about it.

golden fields

"The Daily Mail

Good enough for wrapping fish and chips in. That's about it. "

"The swarm on our streets". - oh I got an extra battered sausage by mistake! Yum.

Leigh

"I think it is all in the wording….

11-15 year olds do you take time out to exercise? No, I’m to busy running around and playing with my mates, possibly "

Or hanging around in a hoodie intimidating people at bus stops?

"

Or hanging around in a hoodie intimidating people at bus stops?"

So what percentage of young people do you attribute that actually do that?

Leigh

"

"

Lots of them around here. Either that, or riding motorbikes up and down the road without helmets.

"

Lots of them around here. Either that, or riding motorbikes up and down the road without helmets."

I'm absolutely sure that most young people do not do that, and throw away sentences that make it sound like they do is incredibly disengenuious to young people.

golden fields

"

"

100% (maybe even more) if you're a daily mail reader.

0.1% for everyone else.

Pershore

"

0.1% for everyone else."

0.000001% if your a Guardian reader

Lowestoft

I'm pretty certain not all are like that. But like in all circles you will get mischiefs lol. Kids are simply curious about the world and get into trouble sometimes. Often with petty things but there are many more that are good doing homework, chores, sports or building things Oh and destroying washing machines in an attempt to fix them lol. I don't think any are to blame to much and just being kids. Alas there is a small number who are brought up badly but again that's not their own faults.

Pershore

Read the figures properly it depends on direction of travel. The numbers in isolation aren't that helpful. "

But the numbers are not in isolation. The DM article referred to in the OP is based on a WHO report, and gives comparisons to other countries and trends over past years. So the numbers are helpful - it's just an 'inconvenient truth' people prefer to ignore.

Leigh

"

Lots of them around here. Either that, or riding motorbikes up and down the road without helmets.

I'm absolutely sure that most young people do not do that, and throw away sentences that make it sound like they do is incredibly disengenuious to young people. "

You are correct in that most don't. However those that do have a disproportionately negative effect on everyone.

And proves that 'by far the majority of kids are active'. Counter to what the title of the OP suggests.

golden fields

[Removed by poster at 24/05/24 15:05:11]

golden fields

"

0.1% for everyone else.

0.000001% if your a Guardian reader"

Probably. Anyway, back to the OP.

DM readers outraged by 70% of English kids being active.

Pershore

"

0.1% for everyone else.

DM readers outraged by 70% of English kids being active."

Try not to get triggered by the DM - it's a WHO report that warrants serious consideration based on the facts and trends presented.

golden fields

"

0.1% for everyone else.

Try not to get triggered by the DM - it's a WHO report that warrants serious consideration based on the facts and trends presented. "

Oh, I thought the thread was about how easy DM readers are outraged with some misdirection.

In that case. I'll dip out.

Crack on.

Bournemouth

I see the King of Buzzword Bingo is winning again

Pershore

"

0.1% for everyone else.

Try not to get triggered by the DM - it's a WHO report that warrants serious consideration based on the facts and trends presented.

Oh, I thought the thread was about how easy DM readers are outraged with some misdirection.

In that case. I'll dip out.

Crack on. "

Wise move, I'll follow your sage example

thornaby

Read the figures properly I think the ppl who are negative probs don’t have kids so don’t have a clue kids tday have it so much harder whith the pressure they are under so good on em and give the kids a break ffs

The biggest problem is they are driven everywhere by their lazy parents. Our daughter walked to school every day, by herself from Year 10. Under a mile to primary but about 2 miles to secondary. Including crossing major roads.

We trained her to walk one mile per year of her age so she has always walked everywhere. Her pushchair wore out when she was 2 so we binned it and didn't replace it."

well what fantastic parents yous are lol social media peer pressure the amount of homework is huge compared to when I was a kid no youth clubs no fields all houses now to name a few so crack on blame the kids or parents but not the world they live in now

Peterborough

"

Lots of them around here. Either that, or riding motorbikes up and down the road without helmets."

Motorbikes don't tend to wear helmets

Market Drayton

Read the figures properly I think the ppl who are negative probs don’t have kids so don’t have a clue kids tday have it so much harder whith the pressure they are under so good on em and give the kids a break ffs

We trained her to walk one mile per year of her age so she has always walked everywhere. Her pushchair wore out when she was 2 so we binned it and didn't replace it.well what fantastic parents yous are lol social media peer pressure the amount of homework is huge compared to when I was a kid no youth clubs no fields all houses now to name a few so crack on blame the kids or parents but not the world they live in now "

Children have it a lot better than people now in their 40s, 50s and 60s did.

No one hits children any more, at least not with official approval. With the arrival of the internet, boredom has disappeared, together with trawling through the library to complete homework. One click and they're there. There is a huge amount of high-quality children’s entertainment – not only computer games, but also books and films. Much more money is spent on children than before. Foreign holidays are the norm (I didn’t leave Britain until I was 23).

I recall waking in the night terrified of the atomic bomb being dropped. Immediate extinction appeared imminent – it still seems a miracle to me now that it never happened. The IRA were bombing the streets of London on a more regular basis than anything jihadis have managed.

Thanks to advancements in technology, kids today can stay in touch with parents and friends without having to place a call over the landline.

Young people today are more likely to avoid alcohol and tobacco, saying they've "got the message" that those sorts of substances aren't good.

School lessons were dull and largely rote-learning. Clothes were awful. TV was 3 or 4 channels and crap, with a few notable exceptions. Sexism, racism and homophobia were mainstream, whereas my daughter is growing up in a world where she will be more likely to get a degree and earn more than men, at least until her 30s when childbearing may drag her income down. She will still live in a sexist, racist and homophobic society, but not half as sexist, racist and homophobic it once was.

She will grow up better educated, more confident and with far better prospects than any of my contemporaries. Her life expectancy will be longer than mine – perhaps more or less indefinite given advances in medicine. For all the perils they will face, kids now can look forward to lives of immeasurable richness, much of it driven by near-magical technologies, conditions generated by years of Conservative governments.

By *usybee73 OP   Man 18 weeks ago

in the sticks

We trained her to walk one mile per year of her age so she has always walked everywhere. Her pushchair wore out when she was 2 so we binned it and didn't replace it.well what fantastic parents yous are lol social media peer pressure the amount of homework is huge compared to when I was a kid no youth clubs no fields all houses now to name a few so crack on blame the kids or parents but not the world they live in now

No one hits children any more, at least not with official approval. With the arrival of the internet, boredom has disappeared, together with trawling through the library to complete homework. One click and they're there. There is a huge amount of high-quality children’s entertainment – not only computer games, but also books and films. Much more money is spent on children than before. Foreign holidays are the norm (I didn’t leave Britain until I was 23).

I recall waking in the night terrified of the atomic bomb being dropped. Immediate extinction appeared imminent – it still seems a miracle to me now that it never happened. The IRA were bombing the streets of London on a more regular basis than anything jihadis have managed.

Thanks to advancements in technology, kids today can stay in touch with parents and friends without having to place a call over the landline.

Young people today are more likely to avoid alcohol and tobacco, saying they've "got the message" that those sorts of substances aren't good.

School lessons were dull and largely rote-learning. Clothes were awful. TV was 3 or 4 channels and crap, with a few notable exceptions. Sexism, racism and homophobia were mainstream, whereas my daughter is growing up in a world where she will be more likely to get a degree and earn more than men, at least until her 30s when childbearing may drag her income down. She will still live in a sexist, racist and homophobic society, but not half as sexist, racist and homophobic it once was.

She will grow up better educated, more confident and with far better prospects than any of my contemporaries. Her life expectancy will be longer than mine – perhaps more or less indefinite given advances in medicine. For all the perils they will face, kids now can look forward to lives of immeasurable richness, much of it driven by near-magical technologies, conditions generated by years of Conservative governments.

"

Nice post collie, plus when I was a kid, we had jumpers for goal posts, went exploring woods, normally back home for tea and tired out ... if you had the twice a week bath night, imagine the kids doing it now?

Market Drayton

We trained her to walk one mile per year of her age so she has always walked everywhere. Her pushchair wore out when she was 2 so we binned it and didn't replace it.well what fantastic parents yous are lol social media peer pressure the amount of homework is huge compared to when I was a kid no youth clubs no fields all houses now to name a few so crack on blame the kids or parents but not the world they live in now

Nice post collie, plus when I was a kid, we had jumpers for goal posts, went exploring woods, normally back home for tea and tired out ... if you had the twice a week bath night, imagine the kids doing it now? "

Mine won't settle for less than 1 long shower a day! And no jumpers for goals, proper mini goalposts!

They will watch the Euros too in glorious 4k on a 65 Inch TV whereas in the 80s we had an analogue 4:3 tv with a 21 inch screen.

By *ockforplay66Man 18 weeks ago

Southampton/isle of wight/ everywhere

I haven’t read the article myself, so I might be wrong here. However, the percentage figures quoted are from today. Was there any data to show what the figures were like 10 years ago, 20, 30 years ago.

When I was 15, I was cycling between 5-10 miles a day, walking 2miles a day to school and back. But I would say that I would estimate at least 30% of kids at my school were dropped off by cars.

So have kids got worse, better or stayed the same over the last 36 years??

Lowestoft

"So have kids got worse, better or stayed the same over the last 36 years??"

Hmm interesting.

For me I always walked or cycled to and from school. Early Junior School mostly with one of my parents but then always on my own or with mates. Pretty much every day go home then back to school for sports and some weekends inter school matches usually on the School bus.

These days I walk a lot as can't drive due eye issues. But when walking to my mothers house around 3pm, there are many kids from Junior and High Schools walking home and they are everywhere lol. Normally there are about 10 cars parked along side roads with parents picking kids up. Although no School sports as such, I think most of the kids do walk or cycle to and from School. On the way back home, around 5pm, there are many playing soccer at the club.

I would imagine it's all relative to where i.e. in a City or in towns etc. But I would conclude, it's pretty much the same with kids general exercise.

By *ools and the brainCouple 17 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Bump

By *atEvolutionCouple 17 weeks ago

"And proves that 'by far the majority of kids are active'. Counter to what the title of the OP suggests.

"

^^^^^ Still This.

» Add a new message to this topic