FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > job agencies, yay or nah?

job agencies, yay or nah?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man 20 weeks ago

in the sticks

talking to a few customers this afternoon and saying most places wont accept anyone applying for jobs, they have to go through an agency.

so are they good or bad?

i presume those places of employment that have unions arent in favour of them? though noticed the post office use quite a few agency staff ...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *atEvolutionCouple 20 weeks ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club Stoke

Most places?

By *estivalMan 20 weeks ago

borehamwood

Never got a job through agencys and never will, most jobs ive found wenever i been signing on have either been through applying for them but most times it been through taking my cv into places

By *AJMLKTV/TS 20 weeks ago

Burley

I used to own a business and avoided agency staff as much as I could. They rip off their people. I was paying £45 p/h directly to my staff and found out that the agency staff were only getting £28 p/h and charging me £60 p/h.

By *idnight RamblerMan 20 weeks ago

Pershore

In my experience, they vary enormously. The header hunter types are focused and tenacious in filling positions. The broad brush types are pretty hopeless, usually inexperienced kids ticking boxes and clueless about the positions they fill.

By *9alMan 20 weeks ago

Bridgend

"talking to a few customers this afternoon and saying most places wont accept anyone applying for jobs, they have to go through an agency.

so are they good or bad?

i presume those places of employment that have unions arent in favour of them? though noticed the post office use quite a few agency staff ... "

I think some agencies spin a line "that if you want to work for a company you have to come through us" its frequently not true why would a large company want to give money to third parties rather than employing staff directly?

By *otMe66Man 20 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"talking to a few customers this afternoon and saying most places wont accept anyone applying for jobs, they have to go through an agency.

so are they good or bad?

i presume those places of employment that have unions arent in favour of them? though noticed the post office use quite a few agency staff ...

I think some agencies spin a line "that if you want to work for a company you have to come through us" its frequently not true why would a large company want to give money to third parties rather than employing staff directly? "

Employment law mitigation

By *itonthesideWoman 20 weeks ago

Glasgow

so are they good or bad?

I think some agencies spin a line "that if you want to work for a company you have to come through us" its frequently not true why would a large company want to give money to third parties rather than employing staff directly?

Employment law mitigation"

Thats only if they are employing an agency worker. Lots of companies fill vacancies through recruitment agents where the employee ends up permantly on the payrolll. The agency is just doing all the waste of time sift work where graduates have been instilled with enough false to apply to be ceo right out of uni

By *rDiscretionXXXMan 20 weeks ago

Gilfach

"I think some agencies spin a line "that if you want to work for a company you have to come through us" its frequently not true why would a large company want to give money to third parties rather than employing staff directly?"

Partly to make sure that the worker doesn't gain employment rights after being there for some time, and partly because having an intermediary means that they can avoid any liability for the workers actions.

Some insurance companies insist that all non-employee workers must be hired thorough an intermediary. That gives them someone to sue if the worker does something expensive and can't pay for it themselves.

By *anJenny 181Couple 20 weeks ago

Preston

The trade union movement fought for contracts of employment to give people a stable steady fixed income, basically stability.

Agencies are the modern work house system, no guarantee of work or pay & you can be got rid of in a second.

How do people get a loan or mortgage on zero hours contracts or job agencies

The latest talk is on improving production but how can this happen with temp staff who have no loyalty to a business that want give them a contract vs experienced staff with more to loose.

By *otMe66Man 20 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"The trade union movement fought for contracts of employment to give people a stable steady fixed income, basically stability.

Agencies are the modern work house system, no guarantee of work or pay & you can be got rid of in a second.

How do people get a loan or mortgage on zero hours contracts or job agencies

The latest talk is on improving production but how can this happen with temp staff who have no loyalty to a business that want give them a contract vs experienced staff with more to loose.

"

I think the issue with the type of "agency work" you are referring to, is the staff need very little training as the work is low skilled, experience doesn't really play a part in a selection process.

With roles being seasonal and retail peaks they are recruiting in and laying off in matter of weeks.

I believe some people prefer this type of employment, in and out and not being expected to go above or beyond the job role, work when they need to.

By *irkby coupleCouple 20 weeks ago

Kirkby

Is it a way of employing someone with out actually employing someone. If they do great then give them a job, if not move on.

By *eroy1000Man 20 weeks ago

milton keynes

so are they good or bad?

i presume those places of employment that have unions arent in favour of them? though noticed the post office use quite a few agency staff ... "

Like many things they fill a gap in the market. I used to use them when I first started work. They help a company get in staff for the busy periods without worrying about them when things get quieter. Often less benefits to permanent staff as was only there a few months each time. Often I would go to a new place and meet many I had worked with at the previous place. Not great if you want a mortgage or similar but when starting out in work it served a purpose and importantly gives you lots of experience in different roles and environments. Helps when applying for permanent roles.

By *oubleswing2019Man 20 weeks ago

Colchester

Ah yes, job agencies. Sourcing staff for some companies who already have large HR departments. My ex-company had a huge HR department and yet relied on dozens of agencies. I often wondered what HR actually did most of the time. Clearly not placing ads, interviewing and onboarding staff. I don't know what else they did, apart from cost the company a pretty penny. It's was almost as if they didn't actually want to do HR work at all !

By *ust RachelTV/TS 19 weeks ago

Horsham

"I used to own a business and avoided agency staff as much as I could. They rip off their people. I was paying £45 p/h directly to my staff and found out that the agency staff were only getting £28 p/h and charging me £60 p/h."

I know in nursing, agency staff were paid more than the NHS nurses and some private hospitals aa well.

In general I was told that it is easier to get rid of people that don't work that well, so you can supposedly find the best person for the role.

By *coptoCouple 19 weeks ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"I used to own a business... I was paying £45 p/h directly to my staff and found out that the agency staff were only getting £28 p/h and charging me £60 p/h"

But surely that £60 p/h is tax-deductible, you've no employer NI or pension payments to worry about, 100% staff coverage (when agency personnel is on holiday, ill or "I need tomorrow off to take my child to the hospital" a replacement will be substituted) and if you simply don't like somebody you can request the agency to provide someone else: no unfair dismissal worries!

If I used to own a business I'd have USED agency staff as much as I could!

By *ustintime69Man 19 weeks ago

Bristol

""I used to own a business... I was paying £45 p/h directly to my staff and found out that the agency staff were only getting £28 p/h and charging me £60 p/h"

But surely that £60 p/h is tax-deductible, you've no employer NI or pension payments to worry about, 100% staff coverage (when agency personnel is on holiday, ill or "I need tomorrow off to take my child to the hospital" a replacement will be substituted) and if you simply don't like somebody you can request the agency to provide someone else: no unfair dismissal worries!

If I used to own a business I'd have USED agency staff as much as I could!"

And you wonder why the country feels fucked and young people don’t have any faith in their future prospects?

By *orses and PoniesMan 19 weeks ago

Ealing

so are they good or bad?

. The great thing about agencies is that they give both companies and employees the chance to try working for a company and both parties can see if meet each others requirements .

Flexibility suits many people. Life has moved on and all parties have to adapt to changing circumstances ..

By (user no longer on site) 19 weeks ago

The only agency jobs hubby ever took on were low skill work when he was younger. In this day and age there are things called probation periods that work both ways so you don't need an agency to decide if you're happy in a new job.

» Add a new message to this topic