FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > I never saw that one coming...

I never saw that one coming...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *deepdive OP   Man 21 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

"UK flower industry thrown into chaos by new Brexit border checks"

I guess that somehow this can be construed as another Brexit Benefit as surely, there are no downsides to Brexit

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ools and the brainCouple 20 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

""UK flower industry thrown into chaos by new Brexit border checks"

I guess that somehow this can be construed as another Brexit Benefit as surely, there are no downsides to Brexit "

Money will prevail over politics.

Major flower exporting countries such as Holland would surely protest to allow for free movement on goods.

Wouldn't they?

By *idnight RamblerMan 20 weeks ago

Pershore

The UK imports 80% of cut flowers, mainly from the Netherlands but also South America and Africa. Begs the question why we couldn't grow more here. We have pretty much the same climate as the Netherlands. UK farmers could diversify and the carbon footprint of transport reduced.

By *yth11Couple 20 weeks ago

newark

I guess that somehow this can be construed as another Brexit Benefit as surely, there are no downsides to Brexit "

Much of the UK flower industry got destroyed when we joined the Single market as it was cheaper to Import it from the Netherlands.

By *anifestoMan 20 weeks ago

ferns/ cork

Why couldn't UK grow more flowers

Why couldn't UK grow more carrots

Why couldn't UK produce more bacon

Perhaps because they're low value industries that require a huge infrastructure (greenhouses, pack houses, production facilities) and resources (water, cash, labour)

Also, burdensome in terms of compliance with traceability, welfare/ agricultural inspections.

Investment capital floating about isn't going into producing tulips, it's focused on ICT, Green Energy, Finance, etc.

By *anifestoMan 20 weeks ago

ferns/ cork

UK joined single market in 1973 - 51 years ago. Your profile suggests you're both in your 40s.

I guess that somehow this can be construed as another Brexit Benefit as surely, there are no downsides to Brexit

Much of the UK flower industry got destroyed when we joined the Single market as it was cheaper to Import it from the Netherlands. "

By *ools and the brainCouple 20 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

The Spalding area of Lincolnshire used to grow fields upon fields of tulips when I lived there as a boy, regularly attend the Spalding flower festival.

In fact due to it's flatness and tulip growing it was known as little Holland.

I imagine that like many other farmers they ditched the flowers in favour of the EU subsidised rxpeseed plants ,even though it mostly went to waste.

Since Brexit it's now solar farms that I believe the government subsidies .

Haven't been to Lincolnshire for many years I wonder if the Fields are still full of tulips or now all solar farms?

By *astandFeistyCouple 20 weeks ago

Bournemouth

"UK joined single market in 1973 - 51 years ago. Your profile suggests you're both in your 40s.

Much of the UK flower industry got destroyed when we joined the Single market as it was cheaper to Import it from the Netherlands. "

And that means they can't know anything about the flower industry?

By *ophieslutTV/TS 20 weeks ago

Central

Perhaps that deal with Australia will work better . Could they grow on the boats, so they're not spoiled by the time they get to the florists, garden centres etc?

By *oxychick35Couple 20 weeks ago

thornaby

Why is anyone bothered about flowers surely this is a good thing the Green Party will be over the moon carbon footprint lol

By (user no longer on site) 20 weeks ago

At least these new checks show how wasteful this particular industry is.

By *ip2Man 20 weeks ago

Near Maidenhead

"Why is anyone bothered about flowers surely this is a good thing the Green Party will be over the moon carbon footprint lol"

Instead of admitting that their project is a disaster, they're now reduced to "Why is anyone bothered about flowers?"

It's not exactly poll-winning, is it?

Look at the anti-EU video from 2016. James O'Brien put the transcript of the video in his book, "How They Broke Britain".

They said, businesses will thrive, food will be cheaper, farmers will.be better off.

Look at the ads put on Facebook before the wretched so-called referendum. They promised lower bills.

They didn't say, "small businesses will be hit the hardest", did they?

They didn't say, "Brides will be upset when their flowers don't turn up".

They didn't say, "Small florists will see ruinous holes in their balance sheets. Dutch growers will lose an important market in GB (but Northern Ireland will be partially exempt). Dutch lorry drivers won't want to come to blighted Blighty and get stuck in miserable queues".

The Green Party supports the EU. I admit it does seem extraordinary how lorries take flowers from NL to the rest of Europe. But the Green Party says,

"'The country is paying a high price... in economic, social and environmental terms. We should look to [join] the EU as soon as it is practicable to do so'- Molly Scott Cato, former Green MEP".

But enough of all these rotten economic arguments.

Britain should be listening to EU citizens. There should be enthusiasm for the great achievement of the Schengen area. I'd like to be in the Euro currency. Let's be part of a united Europe.

By *wosmilersCouple 20 weeks ago

Heathrowish

"UK joined single market in 1973 - 51 years ago. Your profile suggests you're both in your 40s.

I think they are referring to post 1.1.93

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 20 weeks ago

nearby

"Why is anyone bothered about flowers surely this is a good thing the Green Party will be over the moon carbon footprint lol

Instead of admitting that their project is a disaster, they're now reduced to "Why is anyone bothered about flowers?"

It's not exactly poll-winning, is it?

Look at the anti-EU video from 2016. James O'Brien put the transcript of the video in his book, "How They Broke Britain".

They said, businesses will thrive, food will be cheaper, farmers will.be better off.

Look at the ads put on Facebook before the wretched so-called referendum. They promised lower bills.

They didn't say, "small businesses will be hit the hardest", did they?

They didn't say, "Brides will be upset when their flowers don't turn up".

They didn't say, "Small florists will see ruinous holes in their balance sheets. Dutch growers will lose an important market in GB (but Northern Ireland will be partially exempt). Dutch lorry drivers won't want to come to blighted Blighty and get stuck in miserable queues".

The Green Party supports the EU. I admit it does seem extraordinary how lorries take flowers from NL to the rest of Europe. But the Green Party says,

"'The country is paying a high price... in economic, social and environmental terms. We should look to [join] the EU as soon as it is practicable to do so'- Molly Scott Cato, former Green MEP".

But enough of all these rotten economic arguments.

Britain should be listening to EU citizens. There should be enthusiasm for the great achievement of the Schengen area. I'd like to be in the Euro currency. Let's be part of a united Europe.

"

This government have made enemies of the EU, doctors, nurses, teachers, railway workers, the disable, ppl on benefits and just about everyone else

» Add a new message to this topic