FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Local Election Results

Local Election Results

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *deepdive OP   Man 8 weeks ago

France / Birmingham

As expected, the Conservative Party took a hammering.

Why?

Austerity? Cost of Living? Rwanda?

Is this going to end up simply as a protest vote and, come a general election, they will do a lot better?

Sunak is certainly putting on a brave face and suggesting that this is the case.

From a party which has such a large majority won by Boris Johnson post Brexit and only a few years ago, to one that looks to be struggling to survive, this has been a mighty fall from grace.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *vbride1963TV/TS 8 weeks ago

E.K . Glasgow

I just can’t believe Boris forgot to take ID first time .

By *0shadesOfFilthMan 8 weeks ago

nearby

"As expected, the Conservative Party took a hammering.

Why?

Is this going to end up simply as a protest vote and, come a general election, they will do a lot better?

Sunak is certainly putting on a brave face and suggesting that this is the case.

From a party which has such a large majority won by Boris Johnson post Brexit and only a few years ago, to one that looks to be struggling to survive, this has been a mighty fall from grace."

All of those and

Highest tax rises in 70 years

Uk forecast lowest performer in G7 next year

Partygate

Non dom

Mone

Truss budget

Zahawi attempted tax fraud

Teachers/ railways/ nhs / junior doctors

They have made an enemy of most of the electorate.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan 8 weeks ago

golden fields

Why?

From a party which has such a large majority won by Boris Johnson post Brexit and only a few years ago, to one that looks to be struggling to survive, this has been a mighty fall from grace.

All of those and

Partygate

Non dom

Mone

Truss budget

They have made an enemy of most of the electorate. "

All this kind of thing has been going on the whole time the Tories have been in charge.

They often lose out on the locals directly before the GE. As soon as their PR machine kicks in, they will win back a lot of the electorate.

By *ostindreamsMan 8 weeks ago

London

Simply because they haven't fulfilled a single election promise that Sunak made. That's quite some incompetence

By *ortyairCouple 8 weeks ago

Wallasey

But they'll gain ground massively before the election because they are going after the disabled now. Going to make them really popular.

Mrs x

By *llie37555Man 8 weeks ago

Market Drayton

"I just can’t believe Boris forgot to take ID first time . "

He forgot.... or "forgot"?

Any publicity is good publicity?

Market Drayton

Why?

All of those and

Partygate

Non dom

Mone

Truss budget

What is "mone"?

nearby

Why?

All of those and

Partygate

Non dom

Mone

Truss budget

What is "mone"? "

Tory baroness who’s had her assets seized while under imvestigstion for vip dodgy covid PPE contracts ti her spouses company The £203M is now offshore in a trust fund

By *ophieslutTV/TS 8 weeks ago

Central

Successive degradation of their office and quality of life for millions.

People appreciated that they had been taken for a ride.

By *rozac_fairyCouple 8 weeks ago

Tamworth

It's OK, they'll get their Goebbels on the case and probably still win the GE via attacking boat people.

By *abioMan 8 weeks ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Why?

From a party which has such a large majority won by Boris Johnson post Brexit and only a few years ago, to one that looks to be struggling to survive, this has been a mighty fall from grace."

Because Johnson talking out of both sides of his mouth basically has run it’s course…

The tories have not done enough in the red wall seats in the north gained from Labour… and the shire seats they won in the south from the Lib Dem’s

They have now lurched so far right… if people vote tactically, they will get crushed in the GE

By *igNick1381Man 8 weeks ago

BRIDGEND

Why?

All of those and

Partygate

Non dom

Mone

Truss budget

I applaud the tory tactic of doing so many bad things it's genuinely difficult to remember them all

We'll overwhelm them with it, they won't believe it

Market Drayton

Why?

All of those and

Partygate

Non dom

Mone

Truss budget

What is "mone"?

Tory baroness who’s had her assets seized while under imvestigstion for vip dodgy covid PPE contracts ti her spouses company The £203M is now offshore in a trust fund "

I'd forgotten her - thanks!

If the current lot aren't sleazy enough, there'll be a new lot along later this year!

Or in January, before someone reminds the Tories could go as late as 25/01/25 I think.

By *idnight RamblerMan 8 weeks ago

Pershore

History tells us not to pay too much attention to local and by-elections - the results are always skewed by dissatisfaction with the ruling party. But the GE will be another matter. Labour have to convince the electorate they are fit for office.

By *exy_HornyCouple 8 weeks ago

Leigh

It is interesting that Labour haven't gained hugely. The other parties have gained instead.

The Tories are shit, but people seem to remember that Labour are worse.

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 8 weeks ago

Cumbria

The important thing to remember is that the Tories took an absolute beating. Their lurch to the right and punching down on the vulnerable has put off the reasonable silent majority and it’s going to keep hurting them so long as they do it.

They won’t form the next government and that’s almost as good as I could hope for. I shall now sit back and wait for the usual suspects to inhale their Copium and tell us all why the Tories losing 400 seats is bad for Labour.

nearby

"It is interesting that Labour haven't gained hugely. The other parties have gained instead.

The Tories are shit, but people seem to remember that Labour are worse."

I don’t think we can expect too much from labour except alot of talk

Country is £2.7 trn in debt, trebled by tories after labour doubled it. The interest cost is two thirds the nhs budget. Perpetual credit card

More renters, less people with final salary pensions, significantly reduced home ownership over last 20 years, highest rents in Europe. Bankruptcies, debt management orders, IVA, CVA, rent and mortgage arrears have all increased, in the face of highest tax rises in 70 years and cost of living/energy etc. councils under pressure, G reported 1 in 10 could go bankrupt

Economy not great and mrs reeves says the money for increased public services spending will have to come from economic growth, while oecd predicts uk bottom g7 economy in 2025.

Every generation has had its challenges we will have to wait and see

By *exy_HornyCouple 8 weeks ago

Leigh

"The important thing to remember is that the Tories took an absolute beating. Their lurch to the right and punching down on the vulnerable has put off the reasonable silent majority and it’s going to keep hurting them so long as they do it.

They won’t form the next government and that’s almost as good as I could hope for. I shall now sit back and wait for the usual suspects to inhale their Copium and tell us all why the Tories losing 400 seats is bad for Labour.

"

Not bad for Labour. Bad for the country though.

The Tories aren't a right wing party. I would put them centre. Or slightly left of centre.

By *idnight RamblerMan 8 weeks ago

Pershore

"It is interesting that Labour haven't gained hugely. The other parties have gained instead.

Country is £2.7 trn in debt, trebled by tories after labour doubled it. The interest cost is two thirds the nhs budget. Perpetual credit card

More renters, less people with final salary pensions, significantly reduced home ownership over last 20 years, highest rents in Europe. Bankruptcies, debt management orders, IVA, CVA, rent and mortgage arrears have all increased, in the face of highest tax rises in 70 years and cost of living/energy etc. councils under pressure, G reported 1 in 10 could go bankrupt

Economy not great and mrs reeves says the money for increased public services spending will have to come from economic growth, while oecd predicts uk bottom g7 economy in 2025.

"

Labour will be a disaster, no doubt about it. History repeating itself. But seems we are doomed to repeat these right-left-right political cycles. That said, the Tories deserve the boot, can't deny.

By *estivalMan 8 weeks ago

borehamwood

Was watching the news last night they were showing you the % of people who voted in different areas, some places had barely over 30% turnout, if thats the case at an actual proper election whoever wins couldnt really say the majority of the country supports them

Cumbria

"Was watching the news last night they were showing you the % of people who voted in different areas, some places had barely over 30% turnout, if thats the case at an actual proper election whoever wins couldnt really say the majority of the country supports them "

To be fair, that was the same with the Brexit referendum, only 17.4 million people voted for Brexit in a country of almost 67 million people.

Cumbria

"The important thing to remember is that the Tories took an absolute beating. Their lurch to the right and punching down on the vulnerable has put off the reasonable silent majority and it’s going to keep hurting them so long as they do it.

The Tories aren't a right wing party. I would put them centre. Or slightly left of centre."

I wish there was a cry laughing emoji on fab.

Cumbria

Labour will be a disaster, no doubt about it. History repeating itself. But seems we are doomed to repeat these right-left-right political cycles. That said, the Tories deserve the boot, can't deny. "

The cope is strong in this one.

borehamwood

[Removed by poster at 04/05/24 08:13:54]

borehamwood

"Was watching the news last night they were showing you the % of people who voted in different areas, some places had barely over 30% turnout, if thats the case at an actual proper election whoever wins couldnt really say the majority of the country supports them

To be fair, that was the same with the Brexit referendum, only 17.4 million people voted for Brexit in a country of almost 67 million people."

npt really the same as brexit because that had one of the biggest turnouts for a vote, and only 16 million voted to stay so a clear winner, p.s i didnt vote in that either

golden fields

"History tells us not to pay too much attention to local and by-elections - the results are always skewed by dissatisfaction with the ruling party. But the GE will be another matter. Labour have to convince the electorate they are fit for office. "

Agree.

I'm extremely skeptical about any positive changes at the next GE.

golden fields

The Tories aren't a right wing party. I would put them centre. Or slightly left of centre."

How could they be further to the right? Blame foreigners even more, ramp up the austerity measures even further, ramp up even more hate towards various minority groups? Could they shit on British people even more, and transfer even more power and wealth from the plebs to those at the very top?

It doesn't feel like it would be possible. I know they say "never say never", but if they get five more years, I'm sure they will give it a try.

Cumbria

"Was watching the news last night they were showing you the % of people who voted in different areas, some places had barely over 30% turnout, if thats the case at an actual proper election whoever wins couldnt really say the majority of the country supports them

To be fair, that was the same with the Brexit referendum, only 17.4 million people voted for Brexit in a country of almost 67 million people.npt really the same as brexit because that had one of the biggest turnouts for a vote, and only 16 million voted to stay so a clear winner, p.s i didnt vote in that either"

The principle remains the same. Only 26% of the population voted for Brexit. The thing about a representative democracy, such as ours, is that people can choose not to vote. Local elections historically have very poor turnouts, general elections are always higher. The irony of course is that the current government insists that unions have minimum turnouts for strike action but then tell us that a 30% vote for an elected official is perfectly legitimate.

If we are saying that Brexit is ‘the will of the people’ and that elections do not require a minimum turnout to be considered legitimate, then if only 10% of the population vote the party who gets the majority of those 10% of voters then they are the choice of the people.

There are approximately 50 million registered voters in the UK, so no party that gets fewer than 25 million votes can say they are supported by the majority of the country. I suspect that very few, if any, parties have received the votes of the majority of registered voters since we enacted universal suffrage.

borehamwood

"History tells us not to pay too much attention to local and by-elections - the results are always skewed by dissatisfaction with the ruling party. But the GE will be another matter. Labour have to convince the electorate they are fit for office.

Agree.

I'm extremely skeptical about any positive changes at the next GE."

you honestly think the tories are gona win again? If labour dont win this time round they may aswell throw in the towel and disband,stammer would have to stomp a puppy for them the lose, altough i dont think there gona win by as much as they think there going to and if things havent improved after four years they could well be out on there arse

Cumbria

"History tells us not to pay too much attention to local and by-elections - the results are always skewed by dissatisfaction with the ruling party. But the GE will be another matter. Labour have to convince the electorate they are fit for office.

Agree.

I'm extremely skeptical about any positive changes at the next GE.you honestly think the tories are gona win again? If labour dont win this time round they may aswell throw in the towel and disband,stammer would have to stomp a puppy for them the lose, altough i dont think there gona win by as much as they think there going to and if things havent improved after four years they could well be out on there arse"

I wouldn’t expect things to get better for two or three years at least, the Tories seem to be actively engaging in a scorched earth policy.

By *CBoyTV/TS 8 weeks ago

Penygraig

I moved to a new area and registered to vote . But didn't because none of the candidates even bothered to put a leaflet through my door so I had no idea who was standing and what their policy proposals were. Years ago the buggers used to drive around the streets with loud speakers asking you to vote....they can't even be bothered to do that anymore.

golden fields

Agree.

I'm extremely skeptical about any positive changes at the next GE.you honestly think the tories are gona win again? If labour dont win this time round they may aswell throw in the towel and disband,stammer would have to stomp a puppy for them the lose, altough i dont think there gona win by as much as they think there going to and if things havent improved after four years they could well be out on there arse"

I honestly can't see why the Tories wouldn't win again. They've been openly shitting on the British public for the last 14 years and have been able to count on their supporters to keep voting them in.

The only way Labour will be allowed to get elected is if they serve the same purpose as the Tories. Albeit slightly less self serving and corrupt.

As I mentioned before, I don't believe that the system exists to benefit the country or the people.

golden fields

"I moved to a new area and registered to vote . But didn't because none of the candidates even bothered to put a leaflet through my door so I had no idea who was standing and what their policy proposals were. Years ago the buggers used to drive around the streets with loud speakers asking you to vote....they can't even be bothered to do that anymore. "

You didn't vote because you couldn't be arsed to Google your local councillors?

By *orses and PoniesMan 8 weeks ago

Ealing

"

. It looks like you have no contact with the vulnerable otherwise you would not have made your post. Extensive help is available to the less well off in society . Your post is highly offensive to the less well off in society and all those who help them . Taxation levels are currently at an all time high .

Cumbria

. It looks like you have no contact with the vulnerable otherwise you would not have made your post. Extensive help is available to the less well off in society . Your post is highly offensive to the less well off in society and all those who help them . Taxation levels are currently at an all time high ."

On the contrary, I have extensive contact with the vulnerable in society through my job, and I am yet to meet a disabled or neurodiverse person who feels the government is doing anything to help them. In fact they feel as though the government is deliberately attacking them to pander to ensure they get the cruelty vote.

By *istressSubCuckMan 8 weeks ago

Winchester

Good to see the Tories doing disastrously badly. They're self serving parasites. Hopefully they'll do so badly at the GE that the party will finally tear itself apart and we'll be rid of them for a couple generations at least. Incompetence and arrogance rolled in privilege, best dead and buried.

By *otMe66Man 8 weeks ago

Terra Firma

. It looks like you have no contact with the vulnerable otherwise you would not have made your post. Extensive help is available to the less well off in society . Your post is highly offensive to the less well off in society and all those who help them . Taxation levels are currently at an all time high .

On the contrary, I have extensive contact with the vulnerable in society through my job, and I am yet to meet a disabled or neurodiverse person who feels the government is doing anything to help them. In fact they feel as though the government is deliberately attacking them to pander to ensure they get the cruelty vote."

I simply can't believe this is true, every person you see at your place of work needing treatment considers the government is deliberately attacking them? Strange stats, or not the whole picture.

Ealing

On the contrary, I have extensive contact with the vulnerable in society through my job, and I am yet to meet a disabled or neurodiverse person who feels the government is doing anything to help them. In fact they feel as though the government is deliberately attacking them to pander to ensure they get the cruelty vote."

. You must be meeting some very entitled or unbalanced people if that is the case . People should remember that every penny paid out in benefits is funded by the tax payer.

By *irldnCouple 8 weeks ago

Brighton

. It looks like you have no contact with the vulnerable otherwise you would not have made your post. Extensive help is available to the less well off in society . Your post is highly offensive to the less well off in society and all those who help them . Taxation levels are currently at an all time high ."

Pat I am disappointed with your response! Normally you would say something like…

“No rational person takes much notice of local elections. The only thing that actually matters is the general election. That is when the population will want to keep wanting the huge success the country has achieved under the Tories!” Then something about being winners, 80 seat majority, and motorbility scheme?

By *ouple in LancashireCouple 8 weeks ago

in Lancashire

On the contrary, I have extensive contact with the vulnerable in society through my job, and I am yet to meet a disabled or neurodiverse person who feels the government is doing anything to help them. In fact they feel as though the government is deliberately attacking them to pander to ensure they get the cruelty vote.. You must be meeting some very entitled or unbalanced people if that is the case . People should remember that every penny paid out in benefits is funded by the tax payer. "

Apart from the irony pat, you do know that many disabled people work and pay taxes..?

Or is the message in your last sentence not about those 'disabled people' on benefits should know their place?

By *eroy1000Man 8 weeks ago

milton keynes

It was interesting to see the Tories almost beaten into third place at the Blackpool by election. Apparently even if all those that voted for reform had voted Tory, the Tories still would not have won. I know a GE can be a bit different but surely people can see the writing on the wall now.

Cumbria

On the contrary, I have extensive contact with the vulnerable in society through my job, and I am yet to meet a disabled or neurodiverse person who feels the government is doing anything to help them. In fact they feel as though the government is deliberately attacking them to pander to ensure they get the cruelty vote.. You must be meeting some very entitled or unbalanced people if that is the case . People should remember that every penny paid out in benefits is funded by the tax payer. "

What the majority of people with a disability I have met want is to be able to function on an even playing field with people who do not have a disability. They do not want to have to feel grateful for the fact the government is throwing them a few crumbs.

There is no equality until people with a disability have equity of access to all the opportunities people who do not have a disability have, without people reminding them that they should be grateful because they are paying for it through their taxes.

Unless of course you think people with a disability are somehow second class citizens?

Cumbria

On the contrary, I have extensive contact with the vulnerable in society through my job, and I am yet to meet a disabled or neurodiverse person who feels the government is doing anything to help them. In fact they feel as though the government is deliberately attacking them to pander to ensure they get the cruelty vote.

I simply can't believe this is true, every person you see at your place of work needing treatment considers the government is deliberately attacking them? Strange stats, or not the whole picture."

You need to speak to more people with a disability.

Terra Firma

The high number of labour councils, in my opinion will be the reason labour will not win a second term.

London

"It was interesting to see the Tories almost beaten into third place at the Blackpool by election. Apparently even if all those that voted for reform had voted Tory, the Tories still would not have won. I know a GE can be a bit different but surely people can see the writing on the wall now."

Yeah it's ridiculous that people believe Tories have a chance. They didn't fulfill a single promise they made. Rishi is clutching at the straws now with the Rwanda plan. His only hope is that if he can prove it works, he could win back some votes while questioning Starmer if he will continue with the Rwanda plan or if he will roll it back. That could potentially put Starmer on the spot.

Terra Firma

I simply can't believe this is true, every person you see at your place of work needing treatment considers the government is deliberately attacking them? Strange stats, or not the whole picture.

You need to speak to more people with a disability."

Do you screen the ones you talk to based on their political views?

Cumbria

Do you screen the ones you talk to based on their political views?"

Nope, everyone is dealt with equitably. The people with disabilities I come across tend to be those most in need of assistance when it comes to their health or social needs.

Terra Firma

Nope, everyone is dealt with equitably. The people with disabilities I come across tend to be those most in need of assistance when it comes to their health or social needs."

And I assume they are seeing you as a health professional, are they getting the treatment they need?

Cumbria

Nope, everyone is dealt with equitably. The people with disabilities I come across tend to be those most in need of assistance when it comes to their health or social needs.

And I assume they are seeing you as a health professional, are they getting the treatment they need?"

No, I’m not a health professional.

Ealing

Nope, everyone is dealt with equitably. The people with disabilities I come across tend to be those most in need of assistance when it comes to their health or social needs."

. An that is why the government have the PIP benefits , mobility car scheme and a wide variety of other benefits . There are in excess of half a million cars on the mobility scheme and in excess of 3.3 million receive PIP in addition to other benefits . It looks like the current government are doing a good job when you analyse the facts. All these benefits are funded by the tax payer .

By *oxychick35Couple 8 weeks ago

thornaby

Why?

Because Johnson talking out of both sides of his mouth basically has run it’s course…

The tories have not done enough in the red wall seats in the north gained from Labour… and the shire seats they won in the south from the Lib Dem’s

They have now lurched so far right… if people vote tactically, they will get crushed in the GE"

exactly that Fabio I think it’s the end of them as we know it there’s a chance of them coming behind reform U.K. aswell the GE after this one will be the most interesting

Cumbria

Nope, everyone is dealt with equitably. The people with disabilities I come across tend to be those most in need of assistance when it comes to their health or social needs.. A that is why the government have the PIP benefits , mobility car scheme and a wide variety of other benefits . There are in excess of half a million cars on the mobility scheme and in excess of 3.3 million receive PIP in addition to other benefits . It looks like the current government are doing a good job when you analyse the facts. All these benefits are funded by the tax payer ."

Being able to get from one place to another is a tiny part of the issues people with a disability face. Huge amount of workplaces have no accessibility beyond the ground floor, and even that can be very poor.

Do you think people with disabilities should be treated as second class citizens, or should they be afforded the same opportunity to succeed as people without disabilities?

thornaby

Nope, everyone is dealt with equitably. The people with disabilities I come across tend to be those most in need of assistance when it comes to their health or social needs.. A that is why the government have the PIP benefits , mobility car scheme and a wide variety of other benefits . There are in excess of half a million cars on the mobility scheme and in excess of 3.3 million receive PIP in addition to other benefits . It looks like the current government are doing a good job when you analyse the facts. All these benefits are funded by the tax payer .

Being able to get from one place to another is a tiny part of the issues people with a disability face. Huge amount of workplaces have no accessibility beyond the ground floor, and even that can be very poor.

Do you think people with disabilities should be treated as second class citizens, or should they be afforded the same opportunity to succeed as people without disabilities?"

yes they should but unfortunately there’s not a disable lives matter movement to focus the attention to be honest I don’t think it would work it’s not fashionable enough just now

Cumbria

Nope, everyone is dealt with equitably. The people with disabilities I come across tend to be those most in need of assistance when it comes to their health or social needs.. A that is why the government have the PIP benefits , mobility car scheme and a wide variety of other benefits . There are in excess of half a million cars on the mobility scheme and in excess of 3.3 million receive PIP in addition to other benefits . It looks like the current government are doing a good job when you analyse the facts. All these benefits are funded by the tax payer .

Do you think people with disabilities should be treated as second class citizens, or should they be afforded the same opportunity to succeed as people without disabilities? yes they should but unfortunately there’s not a disable lives matter movement to focus the attention to be honest I don’t think it would work it’s not fashionable enough just now "

It shouldn’t need a ‘disabled lives matter’ movement, just for people without disabilities to realise how lucky they are, and show a little humanity.

golden fields

That's right, the most vulnerable people on society should prostrate themselves at the feet of the Conservatives, and should be thankful that they're not being shot for sport.

London

"

Do you think people with disabilities should be treated as second class citizens, or should they be afforded the same opportunity to succeed as people without disabilities?"

I don't think anyone wants to treat disabled people as second class citizens. As with most issues, it's a question of who pays for it. There are numerous problems in this country but we do not have infinite resources to solve them all. As with most left wing issues, if all the left wingers on the internet get together and pool their own money, they can go a long way in fixing those. Unfortunately they would never do that.

thornaby

Do you think people with disabilities should be treated as second class citizens, or should they be afforded the same opportunity to succeed as people without disabilities? yes they should but unfortunately there’s not a disable lives matter movement to focus the attention to be honest I don’t think it would work it’s not fashionable enough just now

It shouldn’t need a ‘disabled lives matter’ movement, just for people without disabilities to realise how lucky they are, and show a little humanity."

exactly it shouldn’t but it’s probably the only way mainstream media will notice them shocking I know

By *astandFeistyCouple 8 weeks ago

Bournemouth

Do you think people with disabilities should be treated as second class citizens, or should they be afforded the same opportunity to succeed as people without disabilities? yes they should but unfortunately there’s not a disable lives matter movement to focus the attention to be honest I don’t think it would work it’s not fashionable enough just now

It shouldn’t need a ‘disabled lives matter’ movement, just for people without disabilities to realise how lucky they are, and show a little humanity."

How do I 'show humanity' in my workplace? There's only stairs and no space for a lift. And if there was, should I pay for it or the landlord?

Cumbria

"

Do you think people with disabilities should be treated as second class citizens, or should they be afforded the same opportunity to succeed as people without disabilities?

I don't think anyone wants to treat disabled people as second class citizens. As with most issues, it's a question of who pays for it. There are numerous problems in this country but we do not have infinite resources to solve them all. As with most left wing issues, if all the left wingers on the internet get together and pool their own money, they can go a long way in fixing those. Unfortunately they would never do that. "

It’s very interesting that you see equity for people with a disability as a ‘left wing issue’ rather than the bare minimum we should be doing.

Anything less than equity for people with disabilities is treating them as second class citizens.

Cumbria

It shouldn’t need a ‘disabled lives matter’ movement, just for people without disabilities to realise how lucky they are, and show a little humanity.

How do I 'show humanity' in my workplace? There's only stairs and no space for a lift. And if there was, should I pay for it or the landlord?"

What adjustments have been made for people with disabilities?

Bournemouth

How do I 'show humanity' in my workplace? There's only stairs and no space for a lift. And if there was, should I pay for it or the landlord?

What adjustments have been made for people with disabilities?"

It's retail premises with no step.

Answering a question with a question isn't an answer.

Cumbria

Answering a question with a question isn't an answer. "

So a person with a disability could work there?

Cumbria

"

Answering a question with a question isn't an answer. "

That’s true but I have no idea of the set up

Of your workplace and I get the impression there will always be a reason you can’t do something, and never a reason you can.

Bournemouth

So a person with a disability could work there?"

Disability yes. Mobility, no. I've explained why.

London

"

I don't think anyone wants to treat disabled people as second class citizens. As with most issues, it's a question of who pays for it. There are numerous problems in this country but we do not have infinite resources to solve them all. As with most left wing issues, if all the left wingers on the internet get together and pool their own money, they can go a long way in fixing those. Unfortunately they would never do that.

It’s very interesting that you see equity for people with a disability as a ‘left wing issue’ rather than the bare minimum we should be doing.

Anything less than equity for people with disabilities is treating them as second class citizens."

No. I am pointing out that the left wing believes we can solve all the world problems with a magic wand.

Economics is about how to spend our limited resources.Let's say the government gets 1000£. How much of this must go to disability benefits, pensions, free food in schools, asylum seekers and helping homeless?

It's a practical fact that the government cannot solve all the problems. If you really and genuinely care about an issue, you will put your money where your mouth is and spend your money on it. But all left wingers do is scream in the internet

Cumbria

"

Anything less than equity for people with disabilities is treating them as second class citizens.

No. I am pointing out that the left wing believes we can solve all the world problems with a magic wand.

Economics is about how to spend our limited resources.Let's say the government gets 1000£. How much of this must go to disability benefits, pensions, free food in schools, asylum seekers and helping homeless?

It's a practical fact that the government cannot solve all the problems. If you really and genuinely care about an issue, you will put your money where your mouth is and spend your money on it. But all left wingers do is scream in the internet "

Your problem here is that you are viewing everything through the lens of economics, when you start putting people ahead of money you might realise how much is possible.

Cumbria

Disability yes. Mobility, no. I've explained why. "

It’s a retail space, can someone with mobility issues not work in retail?

golden fields

"

It's a practical fact that the government cannot solve all the problems. If you really and genuinely care about an issue, you will put your money where your mouth is and spend your money on it. But all left wingers do is scream in the internet "

So the only option is for people who care about others (who you seem to have labelled as "left wingers"), have to pay money to disabled people. Meanwhile the government spunks billions on dodgy PPE to their mates, spends billions on nuclear subs, flushes billions down the Brexit toilet etc etc.

Also, implying that right wing people don't care about disabled people, kids, asylum seekers, homeless people etc, is pretty insulting.

London

[Removed by poster at 04/05/24 13:44:56]

London

"

It's a practical fact that the government cannot solve all the problems. If you really and genuinely care about an issue, you will put your money where your mouth is and spend your money on it. But all left wingers do is scream in the internet

Your problem here is that you are viewing everything through the lens of economics, when you start putting people ahead of money you might realise how much is possible."

I am talking about how to solve the problem practically. You can't solve things by magic

And don't lecture me about putting people ahead of money. If you did that yourself, you will be out there spending your money instead of lecturing others

Market Drayton

"

So the only option is for people who care about others (who you seem to have labelled as "left wingers"), have to pay money to disabled people. Meanwhile the government spunks billions on dodgy PPE to their mates, spends billions on nuclear subs, flushes billions down the Brexit toilet etc etc.

Also, implying that right wing people don't care about disabled people, kids, asylum seekers, homeless people etc, is pretty insulting.

"

So why did you fulminate earlier this way : "the most vulnerable people on society should prostrate themselves at the feet of the Conservatives, and should be thankful that they're not being shot for sport"?

Implying that right wing people would have vulnerable people shot is not just pretty insulting. It is as grossly offensive as it's possible to get.

Cumbria

"

Your problem here is that you are viewing everything through the lens of economics, when you start putting people ahead of money you might realise how much is possible.

I am talking about how to solve the problem practically. You can't solve things by magic

And don't lecture me about putting people ahead of money. If you did that yourself, you will be out there spending your money instead of lecturing others

"

Oops, seems like a nerve has been touched.

golden fields

"

"

No magic needed. Stop electing governments the spunk away billions on pointless nonsense. Then we can create a society that works for everyone.

"

"

This makes absolutely no sense. However maybe I am currently out spending money on bags of crisps right at this exact second.

Bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 04/05/24 15:06:18]

Bournemouth

It’s a retail space, can someone with mobility issues not work in retail?"

They can't access the store room.

Cumbria

They can't access the store room. "

Couldn’t someone else access the store room for them?

By *eroy1000Man 8 weeks ago

milton keynes

If there was a year or more until the GE I think Rishi would be in serious danger of being ousted from PM. However there simply is not enough time now and who will want to take over just before what's likely to be a massive defeat. I think after the GE Rishi will have to resign or be forced to stand aside

Bournemouth

Couldn’t someone else access the store room for them?"

What if no one else is there and a customer wants something that isn't there?

Should we lose the custom?

Cumbria

Should we lose the custom?"

Seems to me it would be a very simple thing to have someone available for a person with a disability to call on to go the storeroom for them.

You seem to be desperate not to provide any assistance to people with disabilities, do you have something against them?

Bournemouth

Seems to me it would be a very simple thing to have someone available for a person with a disability to call on to go the storeroom for them.

You seem to be desperate not to provide any assistance to people with disabilities, do you have something against them?"

You want me to pay another member of staff to be on the premises just in case? I'm not sure if you've been told before, but that's fucking delusional for a small business.

As for 'you seem desperate', that's nothing but you projecting. I've asked a reasonable question and rather than answer it, you've done nothing but fire back in the hope that you trip me up.

London

"

No magic needed. Stop electing governments the spunk away billions on pointless nonsense. Then we can create a society that works for everyone.

"

Lol.. Look at you. Asking me not to talk in turns of money and then going on to talk about money. Please tell us how to solve the problem without money. I am all ears.

"

This makes absolutely no sense. However maybe I am currently out spending money on bags of crisps right at this exact second."

Pretty sure it makes sense. You are just feeling uncomfortable facing the truth. You aren't as compassionate as you think you are. If you were, you would be outside spending your own money solving the problem. Instead, you are on the internet lecturing others about being compassionate. That doesn't make you compassionate. It only makes you a hypocrite

By *AFKA HovisMan 8 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Money isn't always the answer.

My OH has a kid with genetic muscular degeneration. It's not going to get better.

Getting a blue badge is a red tape nightmare. She needs a doctor's note from the last twelve months confirming he will need a wheel chair. In case he's miraculously recovered from the one 18 months ago. So they need to have a pointless doctors appointment (taking up everyone's time) to tick a box.

She's remortgaged as the house needs redoing to accommodate.

That cash has caused her UC to be stopped. She's now worse off.

And she's lost another month because she needs three months of statements for an account opened two months ago to house the cash.

And don't get me started in the support she gets for her hearing. "Move your chair closer to the interviewer". That's tej level of support given to get people into more productive work. Genius.

I'm hoping the job coaches that Sunak was talking about using before they cut off allowances are a bit better than this.

Cumbria

You seem to be desperate not to provide any assistance to people with disabilities, do you have something against them?

You want me to pay another member of staff to be on the premises just in case? I'm not sure if you've been told before, but that's fucking delusional for a small business.

As for 'you seem desperate', that's nothing but you projecting. I've asked a reasonable question and rather than answer it, you've done nothing but fire back in the hope that you trip me up.

"

I hadn’t realised you’re a one man operation, that’s of course why there are exemptions for small businesses. Perhaps if you’d explained that earlier this confusion could’ve been avoided.

Accessibility for staff members who have a disability is definitely something you should think about if you become successful and need more staff though.

Bournemouth

I hadn’t realised you’re a one man operation, that’s of course why there are exemptions for small businesses. Perhaps if you’d explained that earlier this confusion could’ve been avoided.

Accessibility for staff members who have a disability is definitely something you should think about if you become successful and need more staff though."

Why would I need more staff becoming successful? I own a very niche business (more than one location), each location only needs one member of staff at a time.

Should I discount people with mobility problems or should I pay another member of staff to stand around waiting, you know, to 'show humanity'? Maybe then the business can go bust and there's 2 people looking for new roles instead of 1.

It doesn't matter if it is a one man operation as my initial question was regarding no space for a lift, and if there was, who pays?

golden fields

"

Lol.. Look at you. Asking me not to talk in turns of money and then going on to talk about money. Please tell us how to solve the problem without money. I am all ears.

"

I just replied to your point about needing magic, not sure why you feel the need to try to ridicule me.

Why are you asking me to solve all the problems without money. Not sure what this has to do with anything, it's not making any sense.

"

This makes absolutely no sense. However maybe I am currently out spending money on bags of crisps right at this exact second.

Pretty sure it makes sense. You are just feeling uncomfortable facing the truth.

"

I'm completely comfortable. And the truth is, I wasn't buying crisps at that exact moment.

"

You aren't as compassionate as you think you are.

"

Thankfully you don't know me, so you have no idea how compassion I think I am, or how compassionate I actually am.

Not sure why you're always trying to make this about me instead of about the topic being discussed.

"

If you were, you would be outside spending your own money solving the problem. Instead, you are on the internet lecturing others about being compassionate. That doesn't make you compassionate. It only makes you a hypocrite "

I'm not lecturing anyone. And I'm sure you don't actually think that me personally going and spending money has anything to do with anything. It's just bizarre and makes no sense.

Cumbria

"

Pretty sure it makes sense. You are just feeling uncomfortable facing the truth. You aren't as compassionate as you think you are. If you were, you would be outside spending your own money solving the problem. Instead, you are on the internet lecturing others about being compassionate. That doesn't make you compassionate. It only makes you a hypocrite "

Again, you are seeing everything through a financial lens. Start thinking about people first and money later.

London

"Money isn't always the answer.

My OH has a kid with genetic muscular degeneration. It's not going to get better.

Getting a blue badge is a red tape nightmare. She needs a doctor's note from the last twelve months confirming he will need a wheel chair. In case he's miraculously recovered from the one 18 months ago. So they need to have a pointless doctors appointment (taking up everyone's time) to tick a box.

And she's lost another month because she needs three months of statements for an account opened two months ago to house the cash.

And don't get me started in the support she gets for her hearing. "Move your chair closer to the interviewer". That's tej level of support given to get people into more productive work. Genius.

I'm hoping the job coaches that Sunak was talking about using before they cut off allowances are a bit better than this.

"

Government services are always a bureaucratic nightmare. All the more reason for people who care about the issue to do it themselves.

London

"

Pretty sure it makes sense. You are just feeling uncomfortable facing the truth. You aren't as compassionate as you think you are. If you were, you would be outside spending your own money solving the problem. Instead, you are on the internet lecturing others about being compassionate. That doesn't make you compassionate. It only makes you a hypocrite

Again, you are seeing everything through a financial lens. Start thinking about people first and money later."

You just complained about Tories spending. Money is a representation of people providing services to others. Me talking about money just means someone has to do the work and buy the materials needed. Again, if you have a solution that doesn't involve money, let us know

London

[Removed by poster at 04/05/24 18:40:42]

London

"

I just replied to your point about needing magic, not sure why you feel the need to try to ridicule me.

Why are you asking me to solve all the problems without money. Not sure what this has to do with anything, it's not making any sense.

Pretty sure it makes sense. You are just feeling uncomfortable facing the truth.

I'm completely comfortable. And the truth is, I wasn't buying crisps at that exact moment.

Thankfully you don't know me, so you have no idea how compassion I think I am, or how compassionate I actually am.

Not sure why you're always trying to make this about me instead of about the topic being discussed.

If you were, you would be outside spending your own money solving the problem. Instead, you are on the internet lecturing others about being compassionate. That doesn't make you compassionate. It only makes you a hypocrite

I'm not lecturing anyone. And I'm sure you don't actually think that me personally going and spending money has anything to do with anything. It's just bizarre and makes no sense."

It makes no sense in the imaginary world that socialists build in their mind. In real world, you need people to work to fix things and they won't do it for free. So yeah things need money and the question is who is going to pay for it

golden fields

"

If you were, you would be outside spending your own money solving the problem. Instead, you are on the internet lecturing others about being compassionate. That doesn't make you compassionate. It only makes you a hypocrite

I'm not lecturing anyone. And I'm sure you don't actually think that me personally going and spending money has anything to do with anything. It's just bizarre and makes no sense.

It makes no sense in the imaginary world

"

Apologies, I meant the questions you ask and the things you say don't seem to make sense.

"

that socialists build in their mind. In real world, you need people

"

I'm not a socialist.

"

to work to fix things and they won't do it for free.

"

No one is saying anything would be free.

"

So yeah things need money and the question is who is going to pay for it "

The government could stop spunking billions away on pointless shit, as mentioned above, and could use that to build a fairer society and not crush the most vulnerable in society with austerity measures.

Terra Firma

"

Again, you are seeing everything through a financial lens. Start thinking about people first and money later."

Nepotism, is it a good thing or a bad thing?

By *AFKA HovisMan 7 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Government services are always a bureaucratic nightmare. All the more reason for people who care about the issue to do it themselves."

what is "it" in this instance ?

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 7 weeks ago

Cumbria

"

Again, you are seeing everything through a financial lens. Start thinking about people first and money later.

"

Thinking about people before money isn’t nepotism.

It’s “This is what we need to do, now how do we do it?” Rather than “This is the money we have, whag will it pay for?”

The first is holism, the second reductionism. The first expands, the second reduces.

By *anifestoMan 7 weeks ago

dublin and wexford

A pure publicity stunt for this moron

"I just can’t believe Boris forgot to take ID first time . "

By *ostindreamsMan 7 weeks ago

London

Government services are always a bureaucratic nightmare. All the more reason for people who care about the issue to do it themselves.what is "it" in this instance ? "

The whole thing about UC being stopped - They have lame systems like this because governments are terrible at operating at this scale. If individual charities were taking care of giving people money, they would be handling these cases much better.

As for the blue badge, I think people should be able to get it themselves if they belong to a group of special needs as described by the rules. They shouldn't depend on the government for that. But there must be huge penalties if someone is caught misusing it.

London

"

It’s “This is what we need to do, now how do we do it?” Rather than “This is the money we have, whag will it pay for?”

The first is holism, the second reductionism. The first expands, the second reduces. "

That's a huge jump you are making. The answer to "how do we do it?" is usually someone doing some action and some material goods involved. How exactly do you plan to get some services and goods without money?

Cumbria

Government services are always a bureaucratic nightmare. All the more reason for people who care about the issue to do it themselves.what is "it" in this instance ?

The whole thing about UC being stopped - They have lame systems like this because governments are terrible at operating at this scale. If individual charities were taking care of giving people money, they would be handling these cases much better.

As for the blue badge, I think people should be able to get it themselves if they belong to a group of special needs as described by the rules. They shouldn't depend on the government for that. But there must be huge penalties if someone is caught misusing it."

Blue badges are administered by local councils, and usually come at financial cost.

Cumbria

"

The first is holism, the second reductionism. The first expands, the second reduces.

That's a huge jump you are making. The answer to "how do we do it?" is usually someone doing some action and some material goods involved. How exactly do you plan to get some services and goods without money?"

I’m not sure if you mean to be but you are being very literal. It’s an attitude thing I’m referring to. The point being if you start with the view that we can’t afford it then we’ll never do anything. Starting from the view that this needs to be done and we will find a way opens up possibilities.

This is literally something I have done for a living, and although you sometimes don’t get exactly what you need, you can get close.

London

"

That's a huge jump you are making. The answer to "how do we do it?" is usually someone doing some action and some material goods involved. How exactly do you plan to get some services and goods without money?

I’m not sure if you mean to be but you are being very literal. It’s an attitude thing I’m referring to. The point being if you start with the view that we can’t afford it then we’ll never do anything. Starting from the view that this needs to be done and we will find a way opens up possibilities.

This is literally something I have done for a living, and although you sometimes don’t get exactly what you need, you can get close."

I don't think I said we can't afford it. I am just asking who will do the work. There is a difference between aspiring to do something and actually doing something. Attitude alone won't get things done.

Cumbria

"

This is literally something I have done for a living, and although you sometimes don’t get exactly what you need, you can get close.

I don't think I said we can't afford it. I am just asking who will do the work. There is a difference between aspiring to do something and actually doing something. Attitude alone won't get things done."

No it won’t but it can stop anything being done.

London

"

I don't think I said we can't afford it. I am just asking who will do the work. There is a difference between aspiring to do something and actually doing something. Attitude alone won't get things done.

No it won’t but it can stop anything being done."

For example?

By *otMe66Man 7 weeks ago

Terra Firma

"

The first is holism, the second reductionism. The first expands, the second reduces. "

Giving people advancements above and beyond others is though.

The best person for the job, is what we all face day to day, realistically some jobs are not suitable for people with or without disabilities which flies against the argument you had ref, can somebody else fetch, bring or carry for a disabled person or on behalf of a disabled person.

It is also goes against cases such as Birmingham council paying women less, the arguments were many and I guess that could also be applied here, although that is a huge assumption on my side.

The point I'm making badly... Being disabled should not be a step up or over others who are more suited for a role, however if a disabled person who can fulfil a role and is the best candidate should not be overlooked because a reasonable adjustment would need to be made in the workplace.

» Add a new message to this topic