FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Scrapping the old EU rules

Scrapping the old EU rules

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So the beginning of scrapping laws which were made because of being in the EU has started afresh.

But are the laws they going to scrap and replace be in the interests of all the british people, or a sub section of british people only?

Who will benefit?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

can you be more specific ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"So the beginning of scrapping laws which were made because of being in the EU has started afresh.

But are the laws they going to scrap and replace be in the interests of all the british people, or a sub section of british people only?

Who will benefit?"

The rich ?

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Does this mean I will soon be able to get a few 7 year olds to scramble up and clean those chimneys for a farthing and a bag of boiled sweets? Paying grown men with a van and tools is awfully expensive.

We need them cleaning as we will be staying in more if the truck drivers go back to 60 plus driving hours a week. It wasn’t safe years ago and it will be less safe now. I’m all for people being able to work as many hours as they like but not where safety is concerned and definitely not where force coercion is used.

If as Kwasi claims we have world leading employment laws what needs fixing?

near ipswich

"Does this mean I will soon be able to get a few 7 year olds to scramble up and clean those chimneys for a farthing and a bag of boiled sweets? Paying grown men with a van and tools is awfully expensive.

We need them cleaning as we will be staying in more if the truck drivers go back to 60 plus driving hours a week. It wasn’t safe years ago and it will be less safe now. I’m all for people being able to work as many hours as they like but not where safety is concerned and definitely not where force coercion is used.

"

Very dramatic as usual.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"So the beginning of scrapping laws which were made because of being in the EU has started afresh.

Who will benefit?"

Which law or regulation that is up for scrapping, do you not wish to be done away with?

Manchester

"Does this mean I will soon be able to get a few 7 year olds to scramble up and clean those chimneys for a farthing and a bag of boiled sweets? Paying grown men with a van and tools is awfully expensive.

Very dramatic as usual. "

You smiled and that’s all that matters

I have to honest here. When the 48 hour rule first came in I wasn’t too enthusiastic but after seeing it working I actually agreed it was the right thing to do.

I spend a lot of time in Scandinavia and whilst they are richer countries they do have a much better life work balance . Norway everyone is virtually part time .

I also think the 48 hour rule forced wages up a bit as employers had to encourage productivity rather than just make workers do longer hours.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"

Seven year olds are too large for chimneys. It's the under nourished five year olds that you want.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

currently travelling down W France

We can buy 7lbs bags of potatoes.

It'll be life-changing

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"We can buy 7lbs bags of potatoes.

It'll be life-changing"

You'll also be able to buy a 3kg bag of potatoes.

Either way, you'll get roughly the same amount of potatoes.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Very dramatic as usual.

I have to honest here. When the 48 hour rule first came in I wasn’t too enthusiastic but after seeing it working I actually agreed it was the right thing to do.

I spend a lot of time in Scandinavia and whilst they are richer countries they do have a much better life work balance . Norway everyone is virtually part time .

I also think the 48 hour rule forced wages up a bit as employers had to encourage productivity rather than just make workers do longer hours.

"

All I saw was employees being given a waver to sign so they could keep on working

near ipswich

Very dramatic as usual.

"

Nobody wants to be restricted to working 48 hours when working away from home in my experience, the whole point of going away is to earn more money otherwise there is no point.

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

Very dramatic as usual.

All I saw was employees being given a waver to sign so they could keep on working "

Same here, every employee signed that waver at my place as soon as they could, people want to do the extra hours to earn more money, it also probably would have had a harmful effect on my company as lead times would of increased and orders would have potentially been lost if employees were unable to work to fill them. Some of our processes require heat treatment which is something that is time consuming and cannot be sped up without detriment to the product so hours available are what we needed as increased productivity etc would do little to help us as a company and all the employees would of earned less too, which in turn effects morale and productivity.

Very dramatic as usual.

All I saw was employees being given a waver to sign so they could keep on working "

But they were given a choice? You didn’t have to sign it ?

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Very dramatic as usual.

All I saw was employees being given a waver to sign so they could keep on working

But they were given a choice? You didn’t have to sign it ? "

See the post above yours

Very dramatic as usual.

See the post above yours "

Yes, and it’s good your given the option to opt out, as well as having the option to restrict your working week to 48 hours

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

Very dramatic as usual.

Yeah thats correct, you were not made to sign it. I believe it was one of labour's manifesto promises in the last election to remove the option of a waver, although obviously that didn't happen, so as it still stands you can opt out.

There are benefits to scrapping weights, KG’s are slightly heavier which means more food waste as you are buying too much sometimes. Which means more people are overeating.

Does that make sense?

Manchester

Very dramatic as usual.

Nobody wants to be restricted to working 48 hours when working away from home in my experience, the whole point of going away is to earn more money otherwise there is no point."

You’re not but if you don’t want to then that’s your choice.

I’ve always worked for myself so hours are irrelevant . If it needs doing it needs doing.

Manchester

"There are benefits to scrapping weights, KG’s are slightly heavier which means more food waste as you are buying too much sometimes. Which means more people are overeating.

Does that make sense?"

No I never buy a stone of peas!! I know what you’re trying to say but you can buy smaller amounts of everything and some newer stores are now bring your own reusable packaging

It’s a nonsense to bring back imperial it belongs in the history books . It’s a distraction announcement that in reality just adds more paperwork to business if it’s adopted.

Metric is the only way forward and to drag our children into the past is just a nonsense.

When will bear bating be brought back as we all need cheap entertainment. Maybe it’s leading to Boris wanting to be king??

near ipswich

"There are benefits to scrapping weights, KG’s are slightly heavier which means more food waste as you are buying too much sometimes. Which means more people are overeating.

Does that make sense?

No I never buy a stone of peas!! I know what you’re trying to say but you can buy smaller amounts of everything and some newer stores are now bring your own reusable packaging

It’s a nonsense to bring back imperial it belongs in the history books . It’s a distraction announcement that in reality just adds more paperwork to business if it’s adopted.

Metric is the only way forward and to drag our children into the past is just a nonsense.

When will bear bating be brought back as we all need cheap entertainment. Maybe it’s leading to Boris wanting to be king?? "

You are not in favour of choice then, why should a local grocer have to sell 1/2 kg of plums eg instead of a pound if he wants to or someone asks for it?

Does that make sense?

When will bear bating be brought back as we all need cheap entertainment. Maybe it’s leading to Boris wanting to be king?? You are not in favour of choice then, why should a local grocer have to sell 1/2 kg of plums eg instead of a pound if he wants to or someone asks for it?"

He could just sell it in grams, 1 pound is equal to 453.592 grams

near ipswich

Does that make sense?

When will bear bating be brought back as we all need cheap entertainment. Maybe it’s leading to Boris wanting to be king?? You are not in favour of choice then, why should a local grocer have to sell 1/2 kg of plums eg instead of a pound if he wants to or someone asks for it?

He could just sell it in grams, 1 pound is equal to 453.592 grams "

Right but couldnt call it a pound

Does that make sense?

When will bear bating be brought back as we all need cheap entertainment. Maybe it’s leading to Boris wanting to be king?? You are not in favour of choice then, why should a local grocer have to sell 1/2 kg of plums eg instead of a pound if he wants to or someone asks for it?

He could just sell it in grams, 1 pound is equal to 453.592 grams Right but couldnt call it a pound "

Call it what you want, it might make pricing a bit more difficult, 0.5kg of apples is £2.50, how much is 3/4 pound of apples

near ipswich

Does that make sense?

He could just sell it in grams, 1 pound is equal to 453.592 grams Right but couldnt call it a pound

Call it what you want, it might make pricing a bit more difficult, 0.5kg of apples is £2.50, how much is 3/4 pound of apples "

Cant see why my local grocer used to have Lb/kg pricing before the eu ban.

Does that make sense?

He could just sell it in grams, 1 pound is equal to 453.592 grams Right but couldnt call it a pound

Call it what you want, it might make pricing a bit more difficult, 0.5kg of apples is £2.50, how much is 3/4 pound of apples Cant see why my local grocer used to have Lb/kg pricing before the eu ban."

Why though, stones, lbs and oz’s are in the past, fair enough if some shops want to go to the trouble of labelling everything twice let them crack on, it will soon die out . Metric is simple to use, the old system isn’t, combine the 2 and it’s a nightmare

near ipswich

Does that make sense?

Call it what you want, it might make pricing a bit more difficult, 0.5kg of apples is £2.50, how much is 3/4 pound of apples Cant see why my local grocer used to have Lb/kg pricing before the eu ban.

Why though, stones, lbs and oz’s are in the past, fair enough if some shops want to go to the trouble of labelling everything twice let them crack on, it will soon die out . Metric is simple to use, the old system isn’t, combine the 2 and it’s a nightmare "

Finally at last we agree then i think shop owners should have the choice so change the law and repeal the eu law.

Does that make sense?

Call it what you want, it might make pricing a bit more difficult, 0.5kg of apples is £2.50, how much is 3/4 pound of apples Cant see why my local grocer used to have Lb/kg pricing before the eu ban.

Why though, stones, lbs and oz’s are in the past, fair enough if some shops want to go to the trouble of labelling everything twice let them crack on, it will soon die out . Metric is simple to use, the old system isn’t, combine the 2 and it’s a nightmare Finally at last we agree then i think shop owners should have the choice so change the law and repeal the eu law. "

Yeah, you can chalk it down as a Brexit ‘benefit’ just a shame no one (apart from the elderly ) uses the old weights and measures anymore , back to the dark ages,

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"Why should a local grocer have to sell 1/2 kg of plums eg instead of a pound if he wants to or someone asks for it?"

My kids wouldn’t and couldn’t envisage a pound (or stone, or hundredweight, peck, or bushel) or two-and-a-half-yards or half-a gallon. Imperial measurements haven’t been taught in schools since 1974 and in science lessons since even before then. And I too no longer bother with ‘em.

Don’t confuse “Imperial Descriptions”, i.e. a 32” television screen or a lump of 4 x 2 timber, with measurements (wood is sold by the metre) and, if we’re being pedantic, centimetres should NOT be used, it’s 1750mm (or 1.75m), not 17.5cm.

near ipswich

Does that make sense?

Why though, stones, lbs and oz’s are in the past, fair enough if some shops want to go to the trouble of labelling everything twice let them crack on, it will soon die out . Metric is simple to use, the old system isn’t, combine the 2 and it’s a nightmare Finally at last we agree then i think shop owners should have the choice so change the law and repeal the eu law.

Yeah, you can chalk it down as a Brexit ‘benefit’ just a shame no one (apart from the elderly ) uses the old weights and measures anymore , back to the dark ages, "

Dont you care about the old people?

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

And as for "repeal the eu law", there's NO "eu law" that forbids marking products with whatever you like (including crowns on pub glasses) I'm looking at some milk I just bought from the Co-Op labelled "4 PINTS"!

For fuck's sake grow up!

Does that make sense?

Why though, stones, lbs and oz’s are in the past, fair enough if some shops want to go to the trouble of labelling everything twice let them crack on, it will soon die out . Metric is simple to use, the old system isn’t, combine the 2 and it’s a nightmare Finally at last we agree then i think shop owners should have the choice so change the law and repeal the eu law.

Yeah, you can chalk it down as a Brexit ‘benefit’ just a shame no one (apart from the elderly ) uses the old weights and measures anymore , back to the dark ages, Dont you care about the old people?"

Yeah, I do care about old people, what year did the UK introduce decimalisation?

"And as for "repeal the eu law", there's NO "eu law" that forbids marking products with whatever you like (including crowns on pub glasses) I'm looking at some milk I just bought from the Co-Op labelled "4 PINTS"!

For fuck's sake grow up! "

Are you sure? I thought Boris and his band of hero’s had recaptured lbs & ozs from the evil EU empire?

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

I'm so glad large bent cucumbers will be available again

Does that make sense?

When will bear bating be brought back as we all need cheap entertainment. Maybe it’s leading to Boris wanting to be king?? "

Thats a bit far fetched, i was thinking pounds and ounces. Technically lower, and obviously would cause prices to drop because they are less.

Would they be scrapping decimilisation also? Will they bring back pounds, shilings and pence?

What other laws can they scrap I wonder, imagine a new dickensian britain, but with iphones and electric vehicles.

Does that make sense?

When will bear bating be brought back as we all need cheap entertainment. Maybe it’s leading to Boris wanting to be king??

Thats a bit far fetched, i was thinking pounds and ounces. Technically lower, and obviously would cause prices to drop because they are less.

"

You could just convert it to grams

Does that make sense?

You could just convert it to grams "

You could, but mentally people are too lazy to talk about grams, they like single figures not 750 grams of this or 50 grams of that.

Does that make sense?

You could just convert it to grams

You could, but mentally people are too lazy to talk about grams, they like single figures not 750 grams of this or 50 grams of that."

Really? I don’t think people have a clue what an oz or pound of anything is

Very dramatic as usual.

Yep

Greene King for example hid the waiver in your contract

""Why should a local grocer have to sell 1/2 kg of plums eg instead of a pound if he wants to or someone asks for it?"

My kids wouldn’t and couldn’t envisage a pound (or stone, or hundredweight, peck, or bushel) or two-and-a-half-yards or half-a gallon. Imperial measurements haven’t been taught in schools since 1974 and in science lessons since even before then. And I too no longer bother with ‘em.

Don’t confuse “Imperial Descriptions”, i.e. a 32” television screen or a lump of 4 x 2 timber, with measurements (wood is sold by the metre) and, if we’re being pedantic, centimetres should NOT be used, it’s 1750mm (or 1.75m), not 17.5cm."

Pretty sure we learned lbs and Ounces at school and that was through the 90's and 2000's

You kids know how to use google right? It literally does it for you

It not hard to know that an 0z is 28g and a lb is just under half a kilo ect

We use Imperial everyday of our lives still with MPG ect. Its not hard to work out your fuel range when you are given the fuel in litres but consumption is measured by the gallon

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

Very dramatic as usual.

it has never been a real choice its always been sign this or get the sack

[Removed by poster at 17/09/21 19:32:35]

Who will benefit?"

Hmmm.. Now lets think about this one;

A group of greedy pie scoffing money grabbing slimy B'Stards in charge of the country with the power to exploit their position., hmm... I wonder

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Very dramatic as usual.

Yeah thats correct, you were not made to sign it. I believe it was one of labour's manifesto promises in the last election to remove the option of a waver, although obviously that didn't happen, so as it still stands you can opt out."

I must have missed that from Labour. So if they had been elected they would have taken that choice away from people?

Manchester

Does that make sense?

When will bear bating be brought back as we all need cheap entertainment. Maybe it’s leading to Boris wanting to be king?? You are not in favour of choice then, why should a local grocer have to sell 1/2 kg of plums eg instead of a pound if he wants to or someone asks for it?"

I would move to km in road marking no problem. Travelling a lot I’m used to it. What a waste children’s educational time teaching two systems.

I have no problem if a shop wants to keep using old measures for older people but phase it out and use the global system that like decimal currency works and is better simpler maths. If we want to be global Britain then using a system used in only three countries is just ridiculous.

It’s archaic.

Manchester

Does that make sense?

"

You get less snd you believe you will pay less?

Rise coloured glasses cones to mind.

I grew up being taught both . I buy my wine in metric so why not my beer??

I buy fuel in litres and know how to work out my litres per 100km it’s simpler and more beneficial to teach a global system. We should have km on signs. Most people travel and cope perfectly well. We need to stop looking for Victorian U.K. . It’s not progress it’s looking backwards for no good technical reason. Just more blue passport irrelevance.

The US has nightmares with buying products for NASA as everything around the world is metric but the US itself isn’t.

A horse and cart looks nice but you don’t see people giving up their cars to commute with horses.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Horsham

Who will benefit?

Which law or regulation that is up for scrapping, do you not wish to be done away with? "

By the sounds of it, selling items using imperial measures.

Also to allow GM food to be grown here, not sure if that was an EU law or not.

» Add a new message to this topic