FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Aquarium advice please

Aquarium advice please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Had a BIO-ORB tank for around a month now, set it up with, had everything in place for 2 weeks,got the water tested,Water was spot on so we added 2 fish 10 days ago, and one fish 7 days ago.woke up yesterday morning and all were dead.Took water to be tested again yesterday and water came back as spot on again.

The tank is nowhere near Air fresheners,fly sprays etc.

Not in direct sunlight.

Any forum members got any advice please

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Did you feed them?

Lol yes, and clear all food not ate with a net

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

is it oxygenated properly...

By *enandlisaCouple  over a year ago

Burnley'ish

"Had a BIO-ORB tank for around a month now, set it up with, had everything in place for 2 weeks,got the water tested,Water was spot on so we added 2 fish 10 days ago, and one fish 7 days ago.woke up yesterday morning and all were dead.Took water to be tested again yesterday and water came back as spot on again.

Not in direct sunlight.

Any forum members got any advice please "

What fish did you have in?

Are they from a trusted supplier?

Have you a heater in the tank, if so is it working.....what temp is the water?

hexham

"Had a BIO-ORB tank for around a month now, set it up with, had everything in place for 2 weeks,got the water tested,Water was spot on so we added 2 fish 10 days ago, and one fish 7 days ago.woke up yesterday morning and all were dead.Took water to be tested again yesterday and water came back as spot on again.

Not in direct sunlight.

Any forum members got any advice please

What fish did you have in?

Are they from a trusted supplier?

Have you a heater in the tank, if so is it working.....what temp is the water?"

ohh i wondered about temp too...but assumed if u were testing the water then u would have checked that

yes tank is oxygenated very well.its a cold water tank so no heater required

Fantails

black moors

goldfish

Always get my stuff from Fish Alive in durham hes been going for years never had this trouble ever in all the years weve kept fish

hexham

were the fish bought from somewhere reputable...infection is all i can think of, but i only know about them from looking after our housemates...

hexham

"Always get my stuff from Fish Alive in durham hes been going for years never had this trouble ever in all the years weve kept fish "

you just answered my question....

"Always get my stuff from Fish Alive in durham hes been going for years never had this trouble ever in all the years weve kept fish

you just answered my question....

"

Stop peeing in the tank maybe?

What plants do you have in the tank?

all plants are artificial

By *enandlisaCouple  over a year ago

Burnley'ish

If the water quality as come back as being good i suspect diseased fish.

its very wierd, going back when shop opens with water and fish that are dead , hopefully find out whats wrong

"its very wierd, going back when shop opens with water and fish that are dead , hopefully find out whats wrong "

hee hee .... bit like monty python in the dead parrot sketch

"its very wierd, going back when shop opens with water and fish that are dead , hopefully find out whats wrong

hee hee .... bit like monty python in the dead parrot sketch "

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

what is litre/gallon capacity of tank?...how big were the fish?...rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon....

also not ideal to put fantails and goldfish in together...not really compatible..

"yes tank is oxygenated very well.its a cold water tank so no heater required

Fantails

black moors

goldfish "

did they not tell you that Fantails and black moors dont mix because Black moors are colds water and Fantails need a temp of 55 to 70°F

Been back to the shop and theyve now said the tank the 2 black moors came from , all the fish died, so weve been given a credit note to spend on new fish once weve stripped the tank , set back up and left it for two weeks , thanks for all advice though guys much appreciated

By *uby In StockingsTV/TS  over a year ago

Cheadle

suggest you don't use the credit note to buy more fish from them???

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Ok, sorry fish geek poster.

There is no point what so ever leaving a tank for 2 weeks with nothing in it. Of course the water will test normally. The products that are tested for, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are by-products of fish waste. No fish, no waste, perfect testing.

Bi-orbs are shite. They look pretty, and that is about the limit of their productivity as a fish tank. They are not suitable for fantails or goldfish or black moors, simply because they stunt the growth and therefore the life expectancy of the fish. As a coldwater tank you are better off keeping fish such as danio, mountain minnow etc in it, not as pretty as fantails or goldfish, but will live longer, and be happier.

Yes above is true, I've kept tropical fish for many many years and bread them, which is a whole different challenge.

Bi-orbs are also very bad for fish because the have very little water surface area that is in contact with the air, which is important. Fish will survive but only due to having air bubbles pumping through.

Some places can give you fish that have parasites on them or a diseased in some way and so can kill off your entire stock. Find a reliable source and only ever use them. You can use quarantine tank to be sure for about a week before.

Always check your fish before putting in the water, for any sign of disease. And just observe the fish to, do they look lethargic that is a big sign.

Another thing which is strange is goldfish breeds are actually very hardy things! They can take a lot of hammer and big temperature range, so must be quite nasty what they got.

oh and if it was a disease they had, you ideally need to know what it was, some live in the water and are that bad you have to strip the tank totally down wash every thing in bleach and left totally dry in pitch black for a few weeks in extreme cases, so be aware

Hope your next lot survive and don't be put off is all part of learning and everyone loses many to start with

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'd see if they'd give you an exchange on aquarium, as your kit is potentially now a source of infection to new fish.

Whilst the water quality tested fine, I'd still add new fish very slowly to new aquariums. The bacteria colonies need to stabilise, to accomodate the Nitrogen cycle etc, and any new fish will require substantially more processing of their waste. Whilst new fish always bring with them the potential for spreading infection, other fish when stressed will more easily succumb to this, whether stress induced from water quality, oxygenation levels, competition for space - as many will be territorial or fluctuations in conditions. Thus addition several diseased fish could be the difference between coping or being overloaded by problems - which is why I'd encourage staged population growth: it sounds like you've done this, but I would likely go more slowly.

When you start again, do add the bacteria colonies in, as this will kick start their breeding, then allow the first fish to really settle down, so that the Nitrogen cycle processing is well underway, before new fish arrive.

Overall, it seems that you've just been really unlucky, as the fish carried the pathogens with them, into your new tank, and this could have happened to the most experienced fish keeper. Good luck!!

have to say had bi-orbs for years and had no problems with fish dying infact they bread happily in there. Did start off just as a cold tank with goldfish and had no problems with stunted growth in fact they grew too big so moved into a larger jewel tank.

When I have ever set up a new tank, always use one of the bacteria tablets you can buy to kick start the nitrogen cycle and regually use products like Nutafin Cycle etc to keep the nastys under control and during water changes and always remove a third of the water from a bi-orb every 2/3 weeks not the 10% each week. also makeing sure to clean the filter material in the old water not under tap water and only replace have the circular filter at each time do a water change and the carbon every 2/3 times.

In new tanks always find its best to add a few danios to start things off then after a couple of weeks add others to the tank.

Hope this helps as had my bi-orbs over 7 years now, starting off with a 30l and now a 60l as well.

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I worked for 13 years in a pet shop, won't mention which one, because any advise I give will be discredited! However, I saw more problems from the bi-orbs tanks then any others.

I think if you know the basics of fish keeping, nitro cycle, no tap water rinsing, aeration etc, then bi-orbs present few if any problems, however, most people buying bi-orbs are first time fish keepers and haven't really moved past keeping fish in a jam jar when you won it at the fair!

did you take them for a walk dayly

thanks for all the advice guys,just been unlucky i guess,the shope the 2 diseased fish came from is a highly recommended shop been running for over 25 years and had no problems before with fish from there , from garden ponds to marine and tropical.so just try again from the start but again mant thanks

» Add a new message to this topic