FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Wills - appointment of guardian

Wills - appointment of guardian

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ho Dares Wins OP   Man  over a year ago

Wilford

This is a strange question to add to a swingers site but want to throw it out there.

With this Coronavirus pandemic my wife and I have decided to finally get round to creating wills.

We have 2 young children, when you create a will you have to consider who you would appoint as a legal guardian should both of us die.

For us there is no obvious choice, both my parents and my wife's mum (her dad died years ago) are in their 70s. My wife's brother is married in his 50s but never had kids - he loves kids but his wife is about as maternal as a brick. Plus they don't have a life style that is suitable for children.

I have a sister, married 2 young kids. My wife gets on with my brother-in-law, but she dislikes my sister.

One of my children has severe learning disabilities and health issues so chances are they will live with us (or the guardian(s)) for many years. My mother-in-law is probably the only other person who know my kids almost as well as my wife and I do.

One thought we had was to appoint my mother in law because she knows the complex needs of my "disabled child" but appoint her in a capacity to make a decision of who best to look after them with her there in an advisory role. Being in her 70s with disabilities herself means she would struggle with long-term "parental responsibility".

Is the above paragraph possible?

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *sm265Woman  over a year ago

Shangri-la

"This is a strange question to add to a swingers site but want to throw it out there.

With this Coronavirus pandemic my wife and I have decided to finally get round to creating wills.

We have 2 young children, when you create a will you have to consider who you would appoint as a legal guardian should both of us die.

For us there is no obvious choice, both my parents and my wife's mum (her dad died years ago) are in their 70s. My wife's brother is married in his 50s but never had kids - he loves kids but his wife is about as maternal as a brick. Plus they don't have a life style that is suitable for children.

I have a sister, married 2 young kids. My wife gets on with my brother-in-law, but she dislikes my sister.

One of my children has severe learning disabilities and health issues so chances are they will live with us (or the guardian(s)) for many years. My mother-in-law is probably the only other person who know my kids almost as well as my wife and I do.

One thought we had was to appoint my mother in law because she knows the complex needs of my "disabled child" but appoint her in a capacity to make a decision of who best to look after them with her there in an advisory role. Being in her 70s with disabilities herself means she would struggle with long-term "parental responsibility".

Is the above paragraph possible?

Anyone have any ideas? "

Yes it is possible to appoint someone in your will to make the decision they feel would be in the best interests of your child/children at the time.

By *ho Dares Wins OP   Man  over a year ago

Wilford

"Yes it is possible to appoint someone in your will to make the decision they feel would be in the best interests of your child/children at the time. "

Thank you, do you know what this is called? Is it called a guardian or something else? x

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Consider having a backup, should your first choice be unavailable. Also do an annual review of your will, to assess its suitability for you over time.

» Add a new message to this topic