FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Astonished

Astonished

Jump to: Newest in thread

By * and M looking OP   Couple  over a year ago

Worcester

So amongstvall this we hear how the football clubs have been oh so generous.

Man Utd and Man City combined to donate £100K

Juventus raised £160K

Considering that’s pocket change we think messrs Giggs and Neville should stand proud as they seem to have done more.

And people pay good money to watch this lot

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uke OzadeMan  over a year ago

Ho Chi Minge City

"So amongstvall this we hear how the football clubs have been oh so generous.

Juventus raised £160K

Considering that’s pocket change we think messrs Giggs and Neville should stand proud as they seem to have done more.

And people pay good money to watch this lot "

Says it all really, doesn’t it??

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I'm not sure on the economics of football. I dont get how clubs can be in millions of pounds in debt and still make profit

By *hampagne_Supernova_91Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Juventus raised £160K

City also donated the Etihad to help the NHS should they need more space. Pep has donated €1 million and Sané has donated 160k. Few other players and clubs getting involved in various ways.

What I'm getting at is that they didn't need to do anything, but they have. Surely whatever they offer to the cause is better than nothing at all

By *ooBulMan  over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

All football clubs run at a massive negative losses. Players wage bills are disgustingly high. Owners own those clubs not for money but kudos.

Try this:-

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17

Worcester

Juventus raised £160K

City also donated the Etihad to help the NHS should they need more space. Pep has donated €1 million and Sané has donated 160k. Few other players and clubs getting involved in various ways.

What I'm getting at is that they didn't need to do anything, but they have. Surely whatever they offer to the cause is better than nothing at all "

And all this from those who instantly put themselves into self isolation.

What were they worried that they might catch it from us menial folk?

Where was the Villa player off to at 04.00 when he pranged his Range Rover?

Bet the white powder he was on his way to collect wasn’t flour.

Juventus raised £160K

What I'm getting at is that they didn't need to do anything, but they have. Surely whatever they offer to the cause is better than nothing at all

And all this from those who instantly put themselves into self isolation.

What were they worried that they might catch it from us menial folk?

Where was the Villa player off to at 04.00 when he pranged his Range Rover?

Bet the white powder he was on his way to collect wasn’t flour. "

No, it was sugar

Juventus raised £160K

I get what you're saying. There is a lot of money in football. But its unfair to name and shame the clubs that have donated just because you don't think its enough

By *uckOfTheBayMan  over a year ago

Mold

Juventus raised £160K

Agree that the clubs haven't given much.....

But Pep Guardiola has given €1 million

Worcester

Juventus raised £160K

I get what you're saying. There is a lot of money in football. But its unfair to name and shame the clubs that have donated just because you don't think its enough"

They were just an example as they are those that of course make the headlines and are there self promoting.

It could have been any premier league club to be honest.

You can now see how little these multi million pond companies think of their fans.

Although I slightly agree that they are massively overpaid. I think that all will be very grateful for any donation and support offered.

By *hampagne_Supernova_91Man  over a year ago

Manchester

Also you need to bear in mind, if the rest of the season is scrapped. They might have to refund a chunk of everyone's season tickets, with mine I'm supposedly looking at getting £250. This along with paying staff out of work players included,is going to hit everyone pretty hard.

Worcester

So at last the media have picked up on this and now even Harry Redknapp is saying the players will do the right thing.

On full pay and using the furlough option to cover the backroom staffs pay.........really

By *emini ManMan  over a year ago

There and to the left a bit

Thing is - you could say that about anyone with money - pop stars, TV celebrities, film stars etc - just look at the supposedly altruistic Richard Branson going cap in hand to the government for money when he is a billionaire that could keep his company afloat single handed and still be loaded

Worcester

"Thing is - you could say that about anyone with money - pop stars, TV celebrities, film stars etc - just look at the supposedly altruistic Richard Branson going cap in hand to the government for money when he is a billionaire that could keep his company afloat single handed and still be loaded"

Agreed but at least his companies invest in people rather than just “it’s all for me”

"Thing is - you could say that about anyone with money - pop stars, TV celebrities, film stars etc - just look at the supposedly altruistic Richard Branson going cap in hand to the government for money when he is a billionaire that could keep his company afloat single handed and still be loaded

Agreed but at least his companies invest in people rather than just “it’s all for me”"

Try telling the staff he has laid off that

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Thing is - you could say that about anyone with money - pop stars, TV celebrities, film stars etc - just look at the supposedly altruistic Richard Branson going cap in hand to the government for money when he is a billionaire that could keep his company afloat single handed and still be loaded"

Whilst he's a tax exile

"Thing is - you could say that about anyone with money - pop stars, TV celebrities, film stars etc - just look at the supposedly altruistic Richard Branson going cap in hand to the government for money when he is a billionaire that could keep his company afloat single handed and still be loaded

Whilst he's a tax exile"

Worcester

And still they defend them.

Brainwashed?

It’s easy to have a go at footballers.

Owner of Wetherspoons told his staff to work for Tesco and isn’t paying them, same with Branson.

Whilst the top 10% of footballers earn amazing money a lot in the lower leagues don’t. A lot of them already give to charity or have their own charitable funds.

I don’t see anyone asking the city workers in London who pay themselves massive bonuses each year to pay money back

Plus all the money they receive from sky, bt sports etc for the games. They will want their money back

"And still they defend them.

Brainwashed?"

Not defending anyone - just find it odd to single out footballers, when there are plenty of others just as, if not more, wealthy as footballers who you could point the same finger at, some of whom are asking for government funding for support - which to me is far worse than footballers not putting their hand in their pocket.

If we're talking about football, I totally agree however that if non-playing staff are being expected to accept reduced wages or to be placed on furlough then the players should too - but that's a somewhat different debate to the one in the OP

By *inkyLondonpairCouple  over a year ago

London

Brainwashed?

Not defending anyone - just find it odd to single out footballers, when there are plenty of others just as, if not more, wealthy as footballers who you could point the same finger at, some of whom are asking for government funding for support - which to me is far worse than footballers not putting their hand in their pocket.

If we're talking about football, I totally agree however that if non-playing staff are being expected to accept reduced wages or to be placed on furlough then the players should too - but that's a somewhat different debate to the one in the OP"

Personally I don't know why the Premier league players don't all collectively agree that they will take a pay cut sufficient to ensure that all non playing staff are fully paid. That would be a small proportion of their income and would be hugely good publicity for them.

Worcester

Brainwashed?

If we're talking about football, I totally agree however that if non-playing staff are being expected to accept reduced wages or to be placed on furlough then the players should too - but that's a somewhat different debate to the one in the OP

Personally I don't know why the Premier league players don't all collectively agree that they will take a pay cut sufficient to ensure that all non playing staff are fully paid. That would be a small proportion of their income and would be hugely good publicity for them. "

By *d4fun73Man  over a year ago

Shipley

"All football clubs run at a massive negative losses. Players wage bills are disgustingly high. Owners own those clubs not for money but kudos.

Try this:-

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/06/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2016-17

"

Isn't a negative loss a profit?!

Brainwashed?

Personally I don't know why the Premier league players don't all collectively agree that they will take a pay cut sufficient to ensure that all non playing staff are fully paid. That would be a small proportion of their income and would be hugely good publicity for them. "

Oh that I agree with entirely as I said - but that is a somewhat different debate to the OP

Worcester

Why do the players get paid for doing nothing?

Their ridiculous salaries should be bought down to the same as the average worker during this crisis.

Maybe then they might understand what mostvare going through.

The clubs are finally being put under pressure to act.

Bet they still won’t take the step in case they upset their precious little darlings.

football clubs in the premier league could be in for a shock if the season doesn't get finished.

that's a breach of the tv contract they have with sky/bt in the uk and others across the worlds.

Clubs would have to repay that money.

I think it currently works out at £38 million per club to be repaid.

you may think that's not a lot but some clubs are losing over 2 million a week in no attendances or merchandise sales and as a business that cannot go on forever.

clubs in Scotland already close to going under. even club like celtic have a massive wage bill of 60 million a year.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

Lower league clubs are doing their bit. My club, Tranmere, have bugger all money (or grass) but the club is acting as a hub to support vulnerable people in the community, they are delivering food parcels etc. Look beyond the big clubs to see the real community around British football. I'm very proud to be a TRFC fan!

Let them be! Most of them literally climbed up by their bootstraps! Let the rich handle this one.

"Let them be! Most of them literally climbed up by their bootstraps! Let the rich handle this one."
Gary Lineker said it better, tonight around 12.22am on BBC News 24.

Worcester

So 30% pay cuts....whoopie do.

Premiership clubs donating £125M to help the lower leagues and £20M to the NHS.

They had to be shamed into it but finally something!

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

"So 30% pay cuts....whoopie do.

They had to be shamed into it but finally something!"

Shouldn't those numbers really be the other way around? Wrong priorities if you ask me. About time football took a serious look at itself.

They had to be shamed into it but finally something!"

So let’s ask everyone else to pay 30% ? Or is it just targeting certain professions ?

By *uicy jonesMan  over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

"Lower league clubs are doing their bit. My club, Tranmere, have bugger all money (or grass) but the club is acting as a hub to support vulnerable people in the community, they are delivering food parcels etc. Look beyond the big clubs to see the real community around British football. I'm very proud to be a TRFC fan! "

Tranmere Rovers ,, Who are they ( in a scouse accent )

By *SAchickWoman  over a year ago

Hillside desolate

So let’s ask everyone else to pay 30% ? Or is it just targeting certain professions ? "

Exactly, there are many wealthy companies and individuals doing nothing, I'm not sure why football clubs specifically are getting hate for not doing "enough".

Worcester

So let’s ask everyone else to pay 30% ? Or is it just targeting certain professions ? "

Football....a profession....really

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

So let’s ask everyone else to pay 30% ? Or is it just targeting certain professions ?

Football....a profession....really "

Yes it is. I don't like football and think their salaries are ridiculous but if us a profession. They work hard and train hard to get to where they are. Of the thousands of young boys that dream of playing football for a living only a handful make it through.

We get you don't like them but you're kind of labouring your point now.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Exactly, there are many wealthy companies and individuals doing nothing, I'm not sure why football clubs specifically are getting hate for not doing "enough". "

Exactly. Loom at Richard Branson and Philip green for example. One suing the NHS and the other applying for government money from one of the 5 yachts.

Exactly, there are many wealthy companies and individuals doing nothing, I'm not sure why football clubs specifically are getting hate for not doing "enough". "

Made that exact point further up - I guess it's because it's in the news - and because footballers are often seen as overpaid etc

And of course it wouldn't get the same reaction if people said Olivia Colman, David Tennant, Coldplay, Ed Sheeran and many more who have as much money if not more than footballers were singled out - in fact some of those will be being lined up to front appeals for us to dig deep at some point probably

"Why do the players get paid for doing nothing?

Their ridiculous salaries should be bought down to the same as the average worker during this crisis.

Maybe then they might understand what mostvare going through.

The clubs are finally being put under pressure to act.

Bet they still won’t take the step in case they upset their precious little darlings."

Football is a way for those of all backgrounds to find fame and fortune . Most come from working class backgrounds , if not abject poverty in some cases . Many players put and give a whole lot back when their careers are over .. I feel sure many of them know exactly what the rest of us are going through .

Yes whilst the wage figures are at times truly mind blowing its not like multi millionaires are giving up there business and changing to playing football because the money is better ..

If you took time and looked into where many top flight footballers came from and there root into football then perhaps an opinion my change

North West

"Lower league clubs are doing their bit. My club, Tranmere, have bugger all money (or grass) but the club is acting as a hub to support vulnerable people in the community, they are delivering food parcels etc. Look beyond the big clubs to see the real community around British football. I'm very proud to be a TRFC fan!

Tranmere Rovers ,, Who are they ( in a scouse accent ) "

We're not Scousers

Best club in the world, that's who

"Lower league clubs are doing their bit. My club, Tranmere, have bugger all money (or grass) but the club is acting as a hub to support vulnerable people in the community, they are delivering food parcels etc. Look beyond the big clubs to see the real community around British football. I'm very proud to be a TRFC fan!

We're not Scousers

Best club in the world, that's who "

*chuckles*

Jeez, couldn't even beat my tin-pot club in the Leasing.com Trophy..

PS. Got extended family who are Tranny fans and it's a good.club.

PPS. Yes you're Scouse (just posh Scouse), own it!

North West

We're not Scousers

Best club in the world, that's who

*chuckles*

Jeez, couldn't even beat my tin-pot club in the Leasing.com Trophy..

PS. Got extended family who are Tranny fans and it's a good.club.

PPS. Yes you're Scouse (just posh Scouse), own it!"

Yeah, but we beat Everton 0-3 today in the FA Cup. The match hasn't even finished yet, but I know Steve Yates is gonna score a hat trick

I woz there Y2K+1

» Add a new message to this topic