FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Non essential work

Non essential work

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icolerobbie OP   Couple  over a year ago

walsall

I’m a little confused at the minute regarding what is classed as essential businesses. Is it still ok for manufacturing companies to operate as usual, even though their products are no essential?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Lots of manufacturing companies do produce products that are essential. They could be from things that go into the medical Industry, food production etc. There’s a very long supply chain involved in most things

By *elma and ShaggyCouple  over a year ago

Bedworth

Well it seems that it’s perfectly fine to sell non essential items like clothing, footwear sex toys etc by mail order so why not?

By *typical guyMan  over a year ago

wigan

I am also unsure of what to do. In one breath the gov say we should stay at home unless absoloutly necessary but then list travelling to work as allowable.

It is stated separately to key workers being allowed to carry on which implies that anyone (not just key workers) who cant work from home can go to work as long as they can follow social distancing and hygiene rules.

By *elshkinkyMan  over a year ago

south wales

If you can’t keep the social distance then work for me is a no... risks are too large for this crap virus

By *oppet22TV/TS  over a year ago

huddersfield

Some companies finding ways to stay open profit over heath

By *ady-LoverMan  over a year ago

swindon

My work are ones that are finding ways round it and it’s frustrating. Trying to make awareness. They are just carrying on until the government tells them to stop which ain’t gunna happen such a joke. Not are not meeting the current lockdown guidelines. Terrible but don’t have a choice. They won’t shut and get 80%

People have taken it as holiday but the rest of us have been told we have to work or we won’t have a job and having bills to pay I can’t afford to not have a job it’s total bs.

walsall

"Lots of manufacturing companies do produce products that are essential. They could be from things that go into the medical Industry, food production etc. There’s a very long supply chain involved in most things "

Yes, I get that, I’m referring to definitely non essential businesses, 30 or 40 people working making things no one needs right now.

walsall

"My work are ones that are finding ways round it and it’s frustrating. Trying to make awareness. They are just carrying on until the government tells them to stop which ain’t gunna happen such a joke. Not are not meeting the current lockdown guidelines. Terrible but don’t have a choice. They won’t shut and get 80%

People have taken it as holiday but the rest of us have been told we have to work or we won’t have a job and having bills to pay I can’t afford to not have a job it’s total bs.

"

I’m hearing quite a few scenarios like you are describing.

By *eeBee67Man  over a year ago

Masked and Distant

If you cant do your work from home and your business has not been closed (retail, restaurant, bars etc). And you can do your work following the PHE guidelines (2m distance from others) then you can go to work.

Let's think for a minute.

"Fred" drives a delivery truck, delivering supplies to NHS hospitals.

Where does he get fuel from?

Who delivers the fuel to the garage?

Who makes the fuel?

So let's say he gets fuel ok.

Freds truck breaks down.

Who recovers it?

Who fixes it?

Where do they get parts from to fix it?

Who delivers the parts to the garage to fix the truck?

Who makes the parts to fix it?

Where does the factory get the parts from to make spares?

Who delivers....... do I need to go on?

What do people want?

Joe Bloggs you are not allowed to go work.

Fred Smith you are allowed to go to work.

It is all about keeping distance from others. The virus is spread from person to person.

If you are not sure look on the PHE gov.uk websites and make a decision.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think it depends on what's being made. If you're making a little rubber thing, which is put in a metal thing, which is an essential item....then yes the firm should stay open.

If it's a doodah that goes into a thingy that's not essential at all.... Then that firm should shut down.

This crisis is bringing out the best and worst in people.

My partners place is non essential, but the bosses won’t close and it’s definitely not complying with the social distancing. So many are off with the virus there as well. But he’s got bills to pay so in an awkward position x

"I’m a little confused at the minute regarding what is classed as essential businesses. Is it still ok for manufacturing companies to operate as usual, even though their products are no essential?"

It’s a good question and it isn’t clear.

Broadly speaking, essential would relate to provision of any products are services that enable health and wellbeing to be kept up.

It’s quite a wide spectrum!

By *elshkinkyMan  over a year ago

south wales

"My partners place is non essential, but the bosses won’t close and it’s definitely not complying with the social distancing. So many are off with the virus there as well. But he’s got bills to pay so in an awkward position x "

Write to local MP as someone else has suggested. Have a look how this spreads if we don’t socially distance. It’s horrific

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The problem is that the government don't have the will to close everything non essential at the moment and enforce it.

If they did it would be much safer for everyone. However, they need to prevent employers sacking or not paying those employees.

By *ady-LoverMan  over a year ago

swindon

Our places delivers freezers for peoples lolly’s in local shops not important and as much as people sit in there gardens on furniture I don’t think me delivering and building it for you is essential and the gym equipment to your house and build it for you is essential. We do delivery’s to hospitals but even the engineers we meet on site aren’t even attending these sites it’s getting very silly and company’s don’t get it as they are able to sit in there office or at home and work but they send two crew members out in a truck sat less than 2 meters apart more like 1 meter if that and expect is to be fit and health. Joke braking the law not social distancing in the truck joke

Ok rant over

walsall

"If you cant do your work from home and your business has not been closed (retail, restaurant, bars etc). And you can do your work following the PHE guidelines (2m distance from others) then you can go to work.

Who makes the fuel?

Freds truck breaks down.

Who recovers it?

Who fixes it?

What do people want?

It is all about keeping distance from others. The virus is spread from person to person.

If you are not sure look on the PHE gov.uk websites and make a decision."

See your perspective, but you are describing indirect essentials. I was asking this:

Say Fred works in a factory making rubber dog turds for joke shops. Should they be allowed to stay open?

"If you cant do your work from home and your business has not been closed (retail, restaurant, bars etc). And you can do your work following the PHE guidelines (2m distance from others) then you can go to work.

Who makes the fuel?

Freds truck breaks down.

Who recovers it?

Who fixes it?

What do people want?

See your perspective, but you are describing indirect essentials. I was asking this:

Say Fred works in a factory making rubber dog turds for joke shops. Should they be allowed to stay open?"

Surely that kind of thing comes from Taiwan or such like these days?

I work for a manufacturing company and the office workers where they can are working from home and everyone who is in work is doing social distancing. We supply equipment into pharmaceutical, chemical, food and personal care so there’s no way we could close.

walsall

Who makes the fuel?

Freds truck breaks down.

Who recovers it?

Who fixes it?

What do people want?

Say Fred works in a factory making rubber dog turds for joke shops. Should they be allowed to stay open?

Surely that kind of thing comes from Taiwan or such like these days?

I work for a manufacturing company and the office workers where they can are working from home and everyone who is in work is doing social distancing. We supply equipment into pharmaceutical, chemical, food and personal care so there’s no way we could close."

No, your company shouldn’t close, but there are plenty of companies making non necessary items in the uk that are not closing and putting their workers, workers families and everyone who comes into contact with them, in danger.

Should they be allowed to continue?

By *ickygirl41Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Lots of manufacturing companies do produce products that are essential. They could be from things that go into the medical Industry, food production etc. There’s a very long supply chain involved in most things

Yes, I get that, I’m referring to definitely non essential businesses, 30 or 40 people working making things no one needs right now. "

You don't grass on your class but you can stick it to the man.

Dob them in.

Police will turn up.

You get sent home

Govt pays 80% of your wage

Lone and solitary workers can still work..I got waved through police block twice today with ok from police but then can't get more social distanced than me.no one ever goes in my van or touches my tools and on site is private and secluded and I'm up a bleddy tree..don't ever see customers, pd by bank transfer. Police given me all clear to work

» Add a new message to this topic