FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > What do you guys think

What do you guys think

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I'm a self employed landscaper I work alone in gardens i can keep a safe 2m distance from people as i work.

From what I can tell the government state I can still work or at least that's my understanding of what they are saying.

So today I went back to work on my customers garden I've had a few dirty looks from people walking past but as it stands if I dont work I earn nothing at all until that's changed and hopefully that will soon I need to work to live.

Am I wrong in doing this????

What do you all think???

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *elshkinkyMan  over a year ago

south wales

"I'm a self employed landscaper I work alone in gardens i can keep a safe 2m distance from people as i work.

From what I can tell the government state I can still work or at least that's my understanding of what they are saying.

So today I went back to work on my customers garden I've had a few dirty looks from people walking past but as it stands if I dont work I earn nothing at all until that's changed and hopefully that will soon I need to work to live.

What do you all think???"

Be mindful there will be vehicle stops from police starting soon to enforce this atm. You need to have a good reason to be out and about and travelling from home to him may not be one of them.. I appreciate what you are saying but it’s such a tough call

Thats the thing what they are saying is so grey I think they need to either say right you cant go to work or you can not leave it open to interpretation

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Is your work essential? That’s what there saying isn’t it

"Is your work essential? That’s what there saying isn’t it "

Wel that's where it's a grey area they also state if you cannot work from home you can still go to work as long as you keep to the 2m social distancing there doesnt seem to be a definitive answer

I work in the same profession. I travel to and from work alone and interact with no more than two people during that time. I have all my own tools so there's no need to touch anything of their's and i've sent letters to all my clients reminding them of the importance of social distancing and to ask them to put my cash in an envelope and leave it where i can pick it up.

I might as well be self isolating and i intend on continuing to work for as long as i'm allowed. No one has cancelled me, after all it's in both our interests for me to carry on. As long as everyone is sensible i don't see how this can be a risk.

"Is your work essential? That’s what there saying isn’t it "

I consider my work to be essential.

I'm a window cleaner and technically I can go to work but I'm not as none of my customers would be happy to see me right now. I don't blame them either. If they are doing their bit then I can do mine.

"I work in the same profession. I travel to and from work alone and interact with no more than two people during that time. I have all my own tools so there's no need to touch anything of their's and i've sent letters to all my clients reminding them of the importance of social distancing and to ask them to put my cash in an envelope and leave it where i can pick it up.

I might as well be self isolating and i intend on continuing to work for as long as i'm allowed. No one has cancelled me, after all it's in both our interests for me to carry on. As long as everyone is sensible i don't see how this can be a risk."

I'm currently building a dry stone wall and laying a patio for a customer.

Is my work essential to me it is as if I dont work i dont get paid at the moment meaning I cant afford to pay my bills and feed my children. It's hard to know what the right thing to do is

I thinks it's a dammed if I do and dammed if I dont

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

The Health Minister addressed this very issue today and said that gardeners can go to work as long as they practise social distancing including travelling on their own in their vehicle.

If you can social distance yourself I don't see a problem to you working if you are working alone and I think a rescue package is coming for the self employed anyway so you may be able to stay at home soon anyway .

The government are meant to be sorting something for the self employed.

We are all hitting hard financial times and will all have to cut back on luxuries and save money in as many ways as possible.

The virus is airborne as well as on surface and can remain alive on certain surfaces for hours and thats why even being out the house is a significant increase in risk even with social distancing.

Would you rather live without luxuries such as game subscriptions and branded food than live without a loved one?

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I'm a window cleaner and technically I can go to work but I'm not as none of my customers would be happy to see me right now. I don't blame them either. If they are doing their bit then I can do mine."

I'd be happy for my window cleaner to come, we can stay indoors while they work and that would be fine.

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

"I work in the same profession. I travel to and from work alone and interact with no more than two people during that time. I have all my own tools so there's no need to touch anything of their's and i've sent letters to all my clients reminding them of the importance of social distancing and to ask them to put my cash in an envelope and leave it where i can pick it up.

I might as well be self isolating and i intend on continuing to work for as long as i'm allowed. No one has cancelled me, after all it's in both our interests for me to carry on. As long as everyone is sensible i don't see how this can be a risk."

This.

south wales

It’s not the work, it’s the non essential travel... window cleaners traveling house to house is non essential surely

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"The government are meant to be sorting something for the self employed.

We are all hitting hard financial times and will all have to cut back on luxuries and save money in as many ways as possible.

The virus is airborne as well as on surface and can remain alive on certain surfaces for hours and thats why even being out the house is a significant increase in risk even with social distancing.

Would you rather live without luxuries such as game subscriptions and branded food than live without a loved one?"

The OP is a single parent of 5 kids. Until the Govt commit to something for the self employed, he needs to earn. His job is removed from other people, working alone in people's gardens. I think he's OK to continue so long as customers stay indoors, don't bring him brews etc like you might normally do.

"I'm a self employed landscaper I work alone in gardens i can keep a safe 2m distance from people as i work.

What do you all think???

Be mindful there will be vehicle stops from police starting soon to enforce this atm. You need to have a good reason to be out and about and travelling from home to him may not be one of them.. I appreciate what you are saying but it’s such a tough call "

His reason would be he is traveling to work. So he would not be breaking any rules and the police would let him on his way. Technically op I don’t think you are breaking any rules if you are not interacting with your customers. It’s upto you as always whether to continue working, I appreciate you may need the money so feel you have to keep working.

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

To add that my mum who is in her 80's is worried that her gardener won't come for 12 weeks and she'll have to cut the grass herself. Which I don't want her to do.

I want her to isolate but I also want her to be able to go in the garden. I think it is essential for her mental health. She's got cash she'll leave it outside.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

Ive read they're making a statement regarding self employed people later.

I personally don't think you should out, they're wanting to reduce the amount of people going out.

You should be staying to.e to protect yourself and your kids, even more so if you are their only parent.

I do feel like a caught between a rock and a hard place on this one being a self employed single parent and only having my income to feed my family and pay my bills I've made the choice to keep working.

I'm doing all I can to keep the my distance and have taken a flask to work and I've been more like 5 or 6m away from anyone I hope I'm doing the right thing by working

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Sounds pretty essential to me if you need to work to eat and pay bills, as long as you using following good hygiene and distancing and not being a burden on any key services I don’t see the issue. We all have to up our game when it comes to using our brains and not keep whining about lists and asking the government to tell us everything including when to take a shit.

south wales

Government advice as published

Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (where this absolutely cannot be done from home)

"Government advice as published

Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (where this absolutely cannot be done from home)"

I cant build this stone wall fro. Home lol

What do you all think???"

Its essential for you in this case, I would say huh go to work, and try to follow the safe guidance mate... good luck mate

Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (where this absolutely cannot be done from home)"

So they aren’t saying he shouldn’t go to work. So really the choice is his. Unfortunately so many are feeling the need to HAVE to work even if they would rather stay indoors. I’m intrigued to hear the expected self employed help announced in today’s daily briefing. And this next part, I want to state I am in no way saying the OP does this. But, obviously the support self employed are offered will be based around the amount they are actually declaring. There are a lot of self employed people such as mobile hairdressers, gardeners, window cleaners, etc etc etc that will pocket part of their weekly cash income and not declare.

[Removed by poster at 26/03/20 11:52:35]

south wales

Stay at home

Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (where this absolutely cannot be done from home)

I cant build this stone wall fro. Home lol"

It’s such a subjective matter and advice is that it is judged on a case by case basis. Police will be offering advice in the first instance. My view is that if you can earn enough to get through this then do it and stay at home when you can...

As with any legislation from government, if you have any concerns or questions why not email your local MP? That’s what I have done and she and her team have been more than helpful

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

My parents employ a gardener. He has been this morning, waved at them through the window, mowed their lawn using his own mower and didn't go indoors for his tea break. They left his money out on the step for him. He's taking all the risk by handling money they've touched and if he didn't work he wouldn't earn.

I think you are ok to do what you're doing op.

south wales

I’ve seen loads going to work, sat in the same works vehicle and not putting in place the 2 metre rule. Even saw two groundsmen working on a golf course yesterday sat together in a golf cart ffs...

Stay at home

So they aren’t saying he shouldn’t go to work. So really the choice is his. Unfortunately so many are feeling the need to HAVE to work even if they would rather stay indoors. I’m intrigued to hear the expected self employed help announced in today’s daily briefing. And this next part, I want to state I am in no way saying the OP does this. But, obviously the support self employed are offered will be based around the amount they are actually declaring. There are a lot of self employed people such as mobile hairdressers, gardeners, window cleaners, etc etc etc that will pocket part of their weekly cash income and not declare. "

Everything I do is though the books I'm a one man band on the vat register because I do no cash jobs

I might as well be self isolating and i intend on continuing to work for as long as i'm allowed. No one has cancelled me, after all it's in both our interests for me to carry on. As long as everyone is sensible i don't see how this can be a risk.

I'm currently building a dry stone wall and laying a patio for a customer.

Is my work essential to me it is as if I dont work i dont get paid at the moment meaning I cant afford to pay my bills and feed my children. It's hard to know what the right thing to do is "

I agree with you but, like i said, if everyone's sensible i don't see that there's much of a risk. Surely the risk is far higher at the supermarket and we can still go there.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"There are a lot of self employed people such as mobile hairdressers, gardeners, window cleaners, etc etc etc that will pocket part of their weekly cash income and not declare. "

I was thinking about this, there is a huge self employed economy now created by tax credits because low income families are better off self employed than employed. Everything from trades to hair and beauty and internet based businesses, it’s very common to claim maximum tax credits , declare a loss or minimal income to avoid paying tax. No one likes to talk about it but everyone knows it’s a reality in certain areas and socio economic groups, these families will be hit hard because declared income isn’t what they are used to living on

Unlike with most trades gardeners work in an ever changing environment and in the horticultural year certain operations cannot be delayed.

Some might say that what i do isn't essential but spare a thought for people's mental health. We're encouraged to stay at home and to enjoy our gardens more but seeing them turn to shit will only add to the stress of isolation. Keep up the good work OP.

"Unlike with most trades gardeners work in an ever changing environment and in the horticultural year certain operations cannot be delayed.

Some might say that what i do isn't essential but spare a thought for people's mental health. We're encouraged to stay at home and to enjoy our gardens more but seeing them turn to shit will only add to the stress of isolation. Keep up the good work OP. "

And you buddy keep Britons gardens a happy place to be for as long as we are allowed to

"There are a lot of self employed people such as mobile hairdressers, gardeners, window cleaners, etc etc etc that will pocket part of their weekly cash income and not declare.

I was thinking about this, there is a huge self employed economy now created by tax credits because low income families are better off self employed than employed. Everything from trades to hair and beauty and internet based businesses, it’s very common to claim maximum tax credits , declare a loss or minimal income to avoid paying tax. No one likes to talk about it but everyone knows it’s a reality in certain areas and socio economic groups, these families will be hit hard because declared income isn’t what they are used to living on

"

Exactly. I live in the real world and I know plenty of people who don’t declare large amounts of their cash income. There’s certain trades I know where they virtually operate entirely on cash. These are the people who are gonna be fucked. Because they will only be able to apply for the most basic of help. I wonder if after this some of those people begin putting more through the system so that in future they know if another wave of this or any other pandemic hits they will be better supported. In that way will this crisis in the long term push more of that undeclared income into the system thus adding that extra revenue into the government coffers ?

I don’t envy the job Rishi & his team are having to do, the complexities of the self employed system and the time scale he’s doing it in is astounding. Yet still I keep reading comments from people moaning where their help is. Do they realize there’s only 24 hours in a day and these people are only human ?! I wonder if they will offer to all or only people in need to stop people claiming who don’t actually need to. But then that starts a whole new debate over why they shouldn’t have access to it if everyone else does and they’ve paid their dues also.

Bring on 5pm

If the customer still wants you and it's safe under guidelines then in my opinion you are perfectly fine to work in my opinion and I think you are in the government's eyes too

By *ndy64hMan  over a year ago

Plymouth

It's a hard call really, as you are self employed, you need to work to feed your family. But in fact you're being employed by your clients, and this should be their issue. If they are happy to let you carry on with the job, obeying social distancing, then I'd carry on, and refer any complaints to them. I'm sure if those living nearby have an issue they'll take it up with your clients. If it becomes a matter of concern, police called etc, then stop.

Hopefully a good package can be arranged for the self employed quickly, so you can then stop.

I think its about common sense. If you are working alone then fine go to work . If you work with others where you travel together then no you can't.

If you work coming into contact with your customers then no. If you are in the garden and they are away from you..yes.

Be careful taking cash ..get payment directly into your bank.

Stay safe

"I think its about common sense. If you are working alone then fine go to work . If you work with others where you travel together then no you can't.

If you work coming into contact with your customers then no. If you are in the garden and they are away from you..yes.

Stay safe "

I work completely by myself travel by myself have taken a flask to work so not to have drinks from customer I gave only spoken to them though a window once from about 4m away all payments via bank transfers etc

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

Do what you can mate.

So long as your customers are happy and you're careful then I'm sure you'll boost their moral by giving them a nice garden.

I’ve been off since Tuesday when the announcement was made and my sites shut and fully accept it’s the right thing to do.

I’m self employed so in exactly the same situation with no more money coming in, I accept that my savings are gonna be taking a hit to keep me and my family fed and housed.

I don’t see what’s confusing to people.

The selfish are still going about their totally inessential jobs because they justify it in their own heads.

You know you shouldn’t be at work, hence this thread.

"I think its about common sense. If you are working alone then fine go to work . If you work with others where you travel together then no you can't.

Stay safe

I work completely by myself travel by myself have taken a flask to work so not to have drinks from customer I gave only spoken to them though a window once from about 4m away all payments via bank transfers etc "

Carry on then

"I’ve been off since Tuesday when the announcement was made and my sites shut and fully accept it’s the right thing to do.

I’m self employed so in exactly the same situation with no more money coming in, I accept that my savings are gonna be taking a hit to keep me and my family fed and housed.

The selfish are still going about their totally inessential jobs because they justify it in their own heads.

You know you shouldn’t be at work, hence this thread."

I'm pleased you have some savings to fall back on can I ask do you have more than 1 income coming into your house and can I also ask how many dependents you have under your care wih your savings etc?

It's very easy to take a moral high ground when you have the ability to do so

"I’ve been off since Tuesday when the announcement was made and my sites shut and fully accept it’s the right thing to do.

I'm pleased you have some savings to fall back on can I ask do you have more than 1 income coming into your house and can I also ask how many dependents you have under your care wih your savings etc?

It's very easy to take a moral high ground when you have the ability to do so"

I’m the only wage into our household.

There are 4 of us that I provide for.

Self employment for me has always meant self employed, I live to my means and always have a contingency fund.

I’m sick of hearing all the bleating about we don’t get anything and all you employees are getting paid still...

That’s the choice you made when you decided to go and enjoy all the considerable benefits of working for yourselves.

Self employment for me has always meant self employed, I live to my means and always have a contingency fund.

I’m sick of hearing all the bleating about we don’t get anything and all you employees are getting paid still...

That’s the choice you made when you decided to go and enjoy all the considerable benefits of working for yourselves.

"

Not everything is as black and white as you seem to think it is. Everyone has different circumstances and shouldn't be judged with such sweeping statements I do hope we all get though this very difficult time and hope we all stay safe. Bit please dont tar everyone with the same brush

Not everything is as black and white as you seem to think it is. Everyone has different circumstances and shouldn't be judged with such sweeping statements I do hope we all get though this very difficult time and hope we all stay safe. Bit please dont tar everyone with the same brush"

I’m tarring nobody.

You asked for opinions on whether you should still be doing your inessential job.

The answer is obvious no matter how you dress it up.

Who is looking after your children, OP?

"

I'm not sure why you choose to take such umbrage, am i detecting a little resentment in that you think that because you've lost your income we should too?

It's clear that your working environment is different to ours and the fact that your site has closed down is a regrettable situation but it's one outside of your control. We, on the other hand, are still very much in control of ours. If everyone we work for is happy to continue and provided that every effort is maintained to minimise risk i fail to see the problem.

Furthermore, i dispute your opinion that our works are not 'essential'.

No umbrage has been taken.

The op asked for opinions, you don’t like mine.

Continue with your life choices with a clear conscience and try not to let anybody die from an unkempt garden.

"No umbrage has been taken.

Continue with your life choices with a clear conscience and try not to let anybody die from an unkempt garden."

My conscience is perfectly clear.

Continue with your life choices with a clear conscience and try not to let anybody die from an unkempt garden.

My conscience is perfectly clear."

There will always be people who disagree with what we are doing but I think a large proportion of people think what we are doing is right everyone is entitled to there opinion and I have and will take his views into account.

I still believe that me working and keeping a safe distance from people is complying with government rules and until that changes I will do what I can to feed my family and make a living

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The government guidelines say tradesmen can still work but need to follow the social distancing guidelines.

Cal

"The government guidelines say tradesmen can still work but need to follow the social distancing guidelines.

Cal"

Thank the lord someone who can read lol

My conscience is perfectly clear.

There will always be people who disagree with what we are doing but I think a large proportion of people think what we are doing is right everyone is entitled to there opinion and I have and will take his views into account.

I still believe that me working and keeping a safe distance from people is complying with government rules and until that changes I will do what I can to feed my family and make a living "

It was more the way the post was worded, as though we should be ashamed of ourselves. Ultimately we're working within goverment guidelines and therefore not doing anything wrong. Case closed.

» Add a new message to this topic