FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Key workers

Key workers

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man  over a year ago

salisbury

Why are the "key" workers often the lowest paid, and most over- burdened employees in a company?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Why are the "key" workers often the lowest paid, and most over- burdened employees in a company?"

It's not just individuals, but whole industries. The care sector in particular is about the worst. Almost everyone working as a care assistant will be getting paid on or around minimum wage, whilst those who are being cared for are paying thousands for the services.

salisbury

It's a crazy fucked up world for sure!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Why are the "key" workers often the lowest paid, and most over- burdened employees in a company?

It's not just individuals, but whole industries. The care sector in particular is about the worst. Almost everyone working as a care assistant will be getting paid on or around minimum wage, whilst those who are being cared for are paying thousands for the services. "

Why are care workers paid so low?

It's so fat cat companies can make more money.

It costs us £16 a visit in the mornings for my dad that is less than an hour but I doupt the care worker is getting anywhere near that

Yesterday they were lowest of society, today they are heroes, tomorrow they'll be the lowest of society again, what a fickle species we are, and sadly even this time of crisis wont change that for many. For the majority of key workers (actual key workers nurses, carers, cleaners etc) it's not just a job it's a vocation a calling if you will, all be it born from a necessity to earn money. Yet the people who have jobs usually the ones that are non essential and designed purely to make money look down on the low paid heros that will eventually one day be wiping the drool from their selfish chins, and they'll do it with a smile and compassion, because they are the the bigger better person.

Care homes cost from £700 a week and the owners and their families drive flash cars and live in houses the size of carehomes.

Parasites

Yep this pandemic has only highlighted who holds the country together and yup it's not the fat cats.

And where are all these billionaires like Branson and Bono?? You only ever see them for causes that suits.

"Why are the "key" workers often the lowest paid, and most over- burdened employees in a company?

It's not just individuals, but whole industries. The care sector in particular is about the worst. Almost everyone working as a care assistant will be getting paid on or around minimum wage, whilst those who are being cared for are paying thousands for the services.

It costs us £16 a visit in the mornings for my dad that is less than an hour but I doupt the care worker is getting anywhere near that "

The care worker will be on minimum pay near enough I did home care for people and found I was working for less than that because the travel time wasn’t included! Not financially worth it when you live in the countryside and you have to use your own car! Carers are better off going self employed.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"It's a crazy fucked up world for sure!"

Damned right for sure, but it's good that some courageous people are still willing to go to work and help out the less fortunate x

God bless them all

salisbury

Im also amazed about the attitude of some of my managers. Any concerns are met with "you're being gay" just get on with it.. nice.

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

"Im also amazed about the attitude of some of my managers. Any concerns are met with "you're being gay" just get on with it.. nice. "

I hope you have a equality and diversity policy.

Just for the irony

salisbury

"Im also amazed about the attitude of some of my managers. Any concerns are met with "you're being gay" just get on with it.. nice.

I hope you have a equality and diversity policy. "

Also it's "just a cold, why are you all soo worried?"

Scunthorpe

------

It costs us £16 a visit in the mornings for my dad that is less than an hour but I doupt the care worker is getting anywhere near that "

With the mobile care workers, there's another big scam. The majority of them are only "on the clock" whilst they are at the client's house. The travelling between them is on their own time and often without fuel payments. My son's girlfriend works 12-14hrs a day but only 8 is classed as paid work.

Scunthorpe

And then there's the "training" which you'll have to pay them back for if you leave inside 2 years.

I’m a key worker and have just had a tantrum over social distancing

"I’m a key worker and have just had a tantrum over social distancing "

They aren’t doing it

Because society values the wrong things. They will get a pat on the back through all this but not much more, because they are also the sort of people that just endure for the sake of being able to help those we do with our jobs. (We should probably riot or something when this is all over)

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

When this is all over and they do the new year honours list let’s hope it’s remembered who was there in our hour of need.

"I’m a key worker and have just had a tantrum over social distancing

They aren’t doing it "

Who aren’t doing it?

By *rmbtsTV/TS  over a year ago

stockport

"Care homes cost from £700 a week and the owners and their families drive flash cars and live in houses the size of carehomes.

Parasites"

Most care home s now cost £900 plus a week

I run the maintenance in a few and can honestly say the monies go to the owners and management, staff from homes on min pay and they only get paid double pay on Christmas Boxing Day and new year

Not even time and half in overtime

Think that’s bad, not even a night enhancement for night shift, the view being the relatives don’t pay for enhanced payments

Also all this sector if this virus gets into homes, the staff have no ppe or very little!! As it’s not scene in care profession as front line

If this virus gets in to homes, it will wipe the homes out over night due to there care needs age and close proximity to each other

The government needs to make this a priority too !!

salisbury

My BIG boss (ex army) seems to think a stiff upper lip and a blitz spirit will defeat a virus...

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

South

I would disagree.

You don’t go into care for the money you go into care because you enjoy the work.

Care companies can only afford to pay staff from the money they get from Social Services and their private work. Social Services “negotiate” the price that Care Companies put forward to them and they negotiate hard.

Yes you have Care Companies that take the piss but there are lots of small independent Care Companies who are struggling everyday to make ends meet and to pay their staff a decent wage because their local Council is not giving a decent uplift on call charges. We pay above the minimum wage. But it’s a struggle. We have to pay well to get staff in and to retain staff.

And it really pisses me off when folk try to make out that its fat cat bosses creaming the money off in every instance.

You want to know why the Care Industry is so poorly paid then i suggest you ask your local Council and their Social Services Department.

It’s cutback after cutback.

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We pay care agencies £16.74 per hour. I appreciate they take care of office staff, uniform, training, insurance etc.. but I would love to know how much profit they make.

Care users are all financially assessed - I have some paying next to nothing & others at the full cost of £16.74 per hour. Some need 2 carers per call so double that cost.

My advice - transfer your home or don’t own one, have less than £14,250 in savings

"Care homes cost from £700 a week and the owners and their families drive flash cars and live in houses the size of carehomes.

Parasites

Most care home s now cost £900 plus a week

I run the maintenance in a few and can honestly say the monies go to the owners and management, staff from homes on min pay and they only get paid double pay on Christmas Boxing Day and new year

Not even time and half in overtime

Think that’s bad, not even a night enhancement for night shift, the view being the relatives don’t pay for enhanced payments

Also all this sector if this virus gets into homes, the staff have no ppe or very little!! As it’s not scene in care profession as front line

If this virus gets in to homes, it will wipe the homes out over night due to there care needs age and close proximity to each other

The government needs to make this a priority too !!

"

Couldn't agree more.

Sadly where I work, we've been getting care workers coming in trying to buy their own ppe.

By *ulfilthmentMan  over a year ago

Just around the corner

"My BIG boss (ex army) seems to think a stiff upper lip and a blitz spirit will defeat a virus..."

Hmm, that makes me wonder ex what in the army.

» Add a new message to this topic