FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Meat and two veg

Meat and two veg

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I've decided to make a veggie patch. Been meaning to do it for a while but now inspired by the C word.

I want to use compatible plants and no nasty chemicals. I've heard that some plants attract bugs which eat bad bugs etc. Does anyone have any experience of this and what would you recommend?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

The thing to look at is crop rotation. There are different ways of doing it. I don't know about bugs like you are asking about but rotation will enable you to get the most out of the space you have.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I've decided to make a veggie patch. Been meaning to do it for a while but now inspired by the C word.

I want to use compatible plants and no nasty chemicals. I've heard that some plants attract bugs which eat bad bugs etc. Does anyone have any experience of this and what would you recommend? "

Pests are attracted by smell, to lessen this don't grow your vegies in big patches, try to intermingle the rows, just be careful that bigger plants aren't at risk over overshadowing smaller ones.

You can also interplant with aromatic flowers, african/french marigolds (Tagetes) are a good choice as their pungent leaves contain pyrethroid insecticide (steep the leaves in water to make an organic spray). Their flowers also attract beneficial insects which in turn also attract other beneficial wildlife.

Use nets to keep butterflies off your Brassicas and keep the area tidy to lessen the movement of slugs and snails.

"The thing to look at is crop rotation. There are different ways of doing it. I don't know about bugs like you are asking about but rotation will enable you to get the most out of the space you have. "

Also important but mostly against soil born diseases. A minimum of a 3 year rotation though 4 is better if you have the space.

[Removed by poster at 22/03/20 17:26:31]

Thanks for the advice on rotation and the marigolds. That's just what I was looking for

"Thanks for the advice on rotation and the marigolds. That's just what I was looking for "

Good luck.

» Add a new message to this topic