FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > How self absorbed are you ?

How self absorbed are you ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

One thing I’ve noticed what with the advent of technology and social media is how self absorbed as a society we’ve become. This has been highlighted by the selfish act of people panic buying and leaving none for the people who really need it. Will this pandemic be a turning point so we become a more caring society looking out for each other or has the human race gone to far into self absorption ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *obbychickWoman  over a year ago

Essex

"One thing I’ve noticed what with the advent of technology and social media is how self absorbed as a society we’ve become. This has been highlighted by the selfish act of people panic buying and leaving none for the people who really need it. Will this pandemic be a turning point so we become a more caring society looking out for each other or has the human race gone to far into self absorption ? "

Sadly I don’t think it will.

Let’s just take this site as an example, so many people are still asking for meets even tho it’s vital that everyone takes the self isolation method seriously.

It’s scary to think how selfish people can be but we live in hope that maybe a few may become more compassionate towards others during a time where we all have to stick together “not literally”

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

This is bringing out the best and worst in humanity.

I'm at the front line of a changing response for a vulnerable, ordinarily isolated population. I'm stretching my food as far as I can, frankly eating less, and considering where I can best position myself to get us through. I know others are doing the same.

I also know others who have been so caught up in their own little worlds that they've had to be told in the last few days what self isolation/social distancing means and are pissed off that nothing is available.

We're all in this together. Hopefully the helpers will rise.

By *obbychickWoman  over a year ago

Essex

"This is bringing out the best and worst in humanity.

I'm at the front line of a changing response for a vulnerable, ordinarily isolated population. I'm stretching my food as far as I can, frankly eating less, and considering where I can best position myself to get us through. I know others are doing the same.

I also know others who have been so caught up in their own little worlds that they've had to be told in the last few days what self isolation/social distancing means and are pissed off that nothing is available.

We're all in this together. Hopefully the helpers will rise."

Good on you Hun x

By *olipop24TV/TS  over a year ago

Christchurch

Sorry......did you say something ?

By *ubblegumandLimeCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

Seeing that 50,000 ppl responded to the HSE's call for help, that's one example of how kind ppl are. There's both sides. I do believe social media has definitely highlighted self absorption, but I believe there's more good in us than bad in general. Hard times like this will bring out the good in ppl. Mrs x

By *oistknickersCouple  over a year ago

London

The notion of taking a picture of your self ten or fifteen years ago would have been considered vein and weird but now everyone does it. We have changed as people.

"The notion of taking a picture of your self ten or fifteen years ago would have been considered vein and weird but now everyone does it. We have changed as people. "

I don’t mind a quick selfie, it’s when they carry on trying to take the perfect selfie in public, oblivious to anyone looking on disbelief.

"Seeing that 50,000 ppl responded to the HSE's call for help, that's one example of how kind ppl are. There's both sides. I do believe social media has definitely highlighted self absorption, but I believe there's more good in us than bad in general. Hard times like this will bring out the good in ppl. Mrs x "

Sorry missed that, what was the call for help for ?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"One thing I’ve noticed what with the advent of technology and social media is how self absorbed as a society we’ve become. This has been highlighted by the selfish act of people panic buying and leaving none for the people who really need it. Will this pandemic be a turning point so we become a more caring society looking out for each other or has the human race gone to far into self absorption ? "
this virus will change nothing the people who panic shopped had the feeling boris was eventually going to shut everything and he now has, which although selfish in many peoples eyes could be forethought in others, the bottom line is this is an unprecedented incident of which we have no examples to draw on, many businesses will go out of business many may end up on the streets, many may starve and many will get ill, many are scared because they are scared of the unknown many will have insurance many wont, i am not affected i don't know anyone who could be regarded as vulnerable, I'm not vulnerable myself if i can help anyone i will but my opinion on this hiding from it won't make it go Away or lessen its affect and calling people selfish or worse for having forethought achieves nothing

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

My job role is in its very nature caring and compassionate. If you were out for yourself, you wouldn’t do it. This virus hasn’t made me any different. I’ve seen the best and worst in others. I like to think the good outweigh the bad.

Dublin

"Seeing that 50,000 ppl responded to the HSE's call for help, that's one example of how kind ppl are. There's both sides. I do believe social media has definitely highlighted self absorption, but I believe there's more good in us than bad in general. Hard times like this will bring out the good in ppl. Mrs x

Sorry missed that, what was the call for help for ? "

The HSE put out a request this week for healthcare professionals, students and volunteers to help during the crisis. Google it and you can read up on it more. Mrs x

The ones publicly telling anyone who reads it all the good deeds they’ve done

Selfless good deeds - save the ego

"Seeing that 50,000 ppl responded to the HSE's call for help, that's one example of how kind ppl are. There's both sides. I do believe social media has definitely highlighted self absorption, but I believe there's more good in us than bad in general. Hard times like this will bring out the good in ppl. Mrs x

The HSE put out a request this week for healthcare professionals, students and volunteers to help during the crisis. Google it and you can read up on it more. Mrs x "

50,000 that's something else x

I’d hope it changes people for the better. I’ve had no care bar one night respite for my disabled daughter for months, and that’s now been stopped because of the virus. All meetings to try and resolve the care issue on hold until after this pandemic is over, so still no care support.

Today my mum took me to the supermarket, no gluten free bread or pasta (myself and my daughter have to have gluten free), no free range eggs, baked beans etc, pretty much no meat and no toilet roll. No rabbit food (fourth shop we went to found some) and no puppy food. In fact, pretty much no pet food at all!

It’s ridiculous!!

My daughter can and will only eat specific food, we had to go to four different supermarkets today to sort that. The people who selfishly panic buy should try living in isolation with a severely disabled person who is unable to get her needs met because they have taken all the food she can eat, toilet roll etc, deal with her melt downs and refusal to eat etc. Deal with the problem of how gluten based food affects her physically, the pain, bloating and toiletting issues, then sit down and reflect on how their actions affect others.

It’s just a sad reflection on society x

Viv xx

"I’d hope it changes people for the better. I’ve had no care bar one night respite for my disabled daughter for months, and that’s now been stopped because of the virus. All meetings to try and resolve the care issue on hold until after this pandemic is over, so still no care support.

Today my mum took me to the supermarket, no gluten free bread or pasta (myself and my daughter have to have gluten free), no free range eggs, baked beans etc, pretty much no meat and no toilet roll. No rabbit food (fourth shop we went to found some) and no puppy food. In fact, pretty much no pet food at all!

It’s ridiculous!!

My daughter can and will only eat specific food, we had to go to four different supermarkets today to sort that. The people who selfishly panic buy should try living in isolation with a severely disabled person who is unable to get her needs met because they have taken all the food she can eat, toilet roll etc, deal with her melt downs and refusal to eat etc. Deal with the problem of how gluten based food affects her physically, the pain, bloating and toiletting issues, then sit down and reflect on how their actions affect others.

Viv xx

"

I'm so sorry you're going through this, it sounds horrendous for you .

I hope things start to improve soon.

Dublin

The HSE put out a request this week for healthcare professionals, students and volunteers to help during the crisis. Google it and you can read up on it more. Mrs x

50,000 that's something else x "

Yeah, it's unreal. Fair play like. Mrs x

My cupboards empty because I haven’t panic bought.

The only thing that’s full are my balls.

By *affeine DuskMan  over a year ago

Caerphilly

It's not a turning point, but I think there will be soft changes for some.

Things like this get studied from all angles, including the social behaviour aspect. That won't truly be understood for a few years at least, but will be fascinating.

By *uenevereWoman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

There's many many people doing their bit for family, friends and neighbour's, me included.

My job involves working with the vulnerable and as a local government worker have volunteered to do whatever I can reasonably do to help.

Just because they aren't boasting about it on social media, doesn't mean it isn't happening. I believe people are generally good.

My great auntie (my grans sister) has gone back to work at age 63 because they put a call in for retired NHS staff. Even though she’s doing it we don’t believe given her age she should be in the hospital even though she was a Matron before.

Queue outside Tesco the other day did not bring community together, far from it. People pushed trollies in front of people, bumped past old people and gave the security guard ( "5 at a time please") a right hard time.

By *he riverdeep69Couple  over a year ago

North west ish

50,000 that's something else x "

Don't believe all you read. 50,000? So who is going to check that they are appropriate to work with vulnerable people.

Dublin

"I’d hope it changes people for the better. I’ve had no care bar one night respite for my disabled daughter for months, and that’s now been stopped because of the virus. All meetings to try and resolve the care issue on hold until after this pandemic is over, so still no care support.

It’s ridiculous!!

Viv xx

"

Love to you. Mrs x

"The ones publicly telling anyone who reads it all the good deeds they’ve done

Selfless good deeds - save the ego

"

Exactly This

The only sort of interaction I have online is here.

I find the internet is full of bullies and keyboard warriors so a while back I logged off.

No Facebook, Instagram nothing.

And I found I had more time to do things I enjoy without others being nasty or casting unwanted opinions.

Fuck em.

Dublin

Don't believe all you read. 50,000? So who is going to check that they are appropriate to work with vulnerable people. "

My source is Paul Reid, the Chief Executive of the HSE talking about this so the info is legit. There'll be an interview process and I'm sure correct measures to ensure all who help out are in a position to.

Dublin

"My great auntie (my grans sister) has gone back to work at age 63 because they put a call in for retired NHS staff. Even though she’s doing it we don’t believe given her age she should be in the hospital even though she was a Matron before. "

That's very admirable of her. I'd be very proud. Hope she will keep well. Mrs x

Trying to find out the stuff I needed for doing the roast dinner tomorrow was hard. Had to preorder a chicken in the farm shop and paid £7.21 for it, the most I’ve ever paid for a chicken.

Got a lack of stuffing and pigs in blankets from one supermarket, got Yorkshire puddings from another supermarket, managed to get parsnips and a bag of frozen peas but had to send my nans friend in Asda for me yesterday morning to get a bag of Maris piper potatoes.

I was stood outside Asda at 7am eyeballing the pensioners waiting for someone I knew to go past to go and buy my spuds. Felt like a teenager again when we used to ask adults to buy us booze.

By *he riverdeep69Couple  over a year ago

North west ish

Don't believe all you read. 50,000? So who is going to check that they are appropriate to work with vulnerable people.

My source is Paul Reid, the Chief Executive of the HSE talking about this so the info is legit. There'll be an interview process and I'm sure correct measures to ensure all who help out are in a position to. "

Yeh right. As someone on the front line I will believe it when I see it.

It’s ridiculous!!

Viv xx

I'm so sorry you're going through this, it sounds horrendous for you .

I hope things start to improve soon. "

Thank you. It’s not all doom and gloom, I don’t have to worry about washing up as she keeps throwing the plates, glasses and cups- downside is having to replace them, haha xx

It’s ridiculous!!

Viv xx

Love to you. Mrs x "

Thank you xx

I genuinely think this whole thing will bring a shift in attitudes of people generally, a bit of a reset in a world where being self absorbed is easy, it becomes something of a norm amid so much social media and general media exposure.

I think people will begin to think differently in a few weeks time, especially when we are deep in the chasm of isolation and we remember how important human and social interactions are to us. People will long for human contact and remember what it is to show empathy, to think about others, to put other people’s needs before our own again.

But there will always be the narcissists among us, who place their well-being, their needs, their own opinions and set of beliefs in front of everyone else’s. And they always will . Except we should now be confident to call them out, just like we now call out sexism in the workplace and racism on our doorsteps, but previously didn’t.

Human society is I believe, at its core, good. I firmly believe that a lot of us have just forgetter how to enjoy simple pleasures, how to enjoy just being in the company of others.

Read nelson mandellas book. That’ll teach you a thing or two about real human isolation.

Love to you all, you horny fuckers

X

Humans are social animals. Nothing can ever change that. In places like London or other busy cities, they get enough interactions at work. In fact too much that they feel the need to switch off from that and have time for themselves.

Try visiting sparsely populated places outside the big cities. People smile at you when you take a walk down the road. It is easy to strike conversation with them. There is nothing inherently good or bad in either of this behaviour. But the virus will definitely change people's priorities in life. Fear of death always does it. People will stop believing that they are going to live for so long and start trying to have fun then and there.

[Removed by poster at 21/03/20 14:58:46]

"[Removed by poster at 21/03/20 14:58:46]"

What he said too

By *orbidden eastMan  over a year ago

london dodging electric scooters

"Humans are social animals. Nothing can ever change that. In places like London or other busy cities, they get enough interactions at work. In fact too much that they feel the need to switch off from that and have time for themselves.

Try visiting sparsely populated places outside the big cities. People smile at you when you take a walk down the road. It is easy to strike conversation with them. There is nothing inherently good or bad in either of this behaviour. But the virus will definitely change people's priorities in life. Fear of death always does it. People will stop believing that they are going to live for so long and start trying to have fun then and there."

That is so true bud. But I thought he does how is it there than societies and as I’m a Londoner too. even keeping the door is frowned upon sometimes but that’s it that’s how it is and that what makes the world balance you have good ones in your bad ones

"Trying to find out the stuff I needed for doing the roast dinner tomorrow was hard. Had to preorder a chicken in the farm shop and paid £7.21 for it, the most I’ve ever paid for a chicken.

Got a lack of stuffing and pigs in blankets from one supermarket, got Yorkshire puddings from another supermarket, managed to get parsnips and a bag of frozen peas but had to send my nans friend in Asda for me yesterday morning to get a bag of Maris piper potatoes.

I was stood outside Asda at 7am eyeballing the pensioners waiting for someone I knew to go past to go and buy my spuds. Felt like a teenager again when we used to ask adults to buy us booze. "

that truly was a hard fought menu hope she enjoys it

I regularly wank at the mirror

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"This is bringing out the best and worst in humanity.

We're all in this together. Hopefully the helpers will rise."

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm fairly self-aware, possibly a little self-absorbed with a different definition of it, being satisfied enjoying whatever I'm doing and my own company. Not particularly selfish ever.

I've bought very little over recent weeks and despise the behaviour of those who have been selfishly hoarding stuff that others less fortunate desperately need.

"The only sort of interaction I have online is here.

I find the internet is full of bullies and keyboard warriors so a while back I logged off.

No Facebook, Instagram nothing.

And I found I had more time to do things I enjoy without others being nasty or casting unwanted opinions.

Fuck em.

"

I've done the internet detox before... Mentally rewarding x

What do you mean self absorbed? I havnt got time to think about that!

Has anyone looked at my profile today?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 21/03/20 16:39:17]

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

"[Mess absorbed by granny at 21/03/20 16:39:17]"

King's Crustacean

disagree totally O.P.

Technology has improved society in many ways.

I don't believe people are more self absorbed I believe they are more aware. I believe that today's youngsters have the greater knowledge and the confidence to help people. I believe in them and that the future is going to be good - different but good.

It's possible to :- take a selfie, work for the benefit of others and build a great society.

BTW ........ they didn't buy all the toilet rolls.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"I disagree totally O.P.

I don't believe people are more self absorbed I believe they are more aware. I believe that today's youngsters have the greater knowledge and confidence to help people. I believe in them and that future.

BTW ........ they didn't buy all the toilet rolls. "

Who mentioned youngsters, think that’s you projecting ?!

I'm a sponge

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I think that lots of people have always been self absorbed and it's only when something like this happens that they look outwards. Sometimes they look out to see what they can do for other people and sometimes they look out to criticise what other people are doing.

The reactions we're currently seeing are just the best and worst of human nature being thrown into sharp relief.

King's Crustacean

"I disagree totally O.P.

I don't believe people are more self absorbed I believe they are more aware. I believe that today's youngsters have the greater knowledge and confidence to help people. I believe in them and that future.

BTW ........ they didn't buy all the toilet rolls.

Who mentioned youngsters, think that’s you projecting ?!"

I mentioned youngsters. ME. I did.

King's Crustacean

I know! Wasn't even bloody in simple English.

Must be the Corona.......

» Add a new message to this topic